General Music thread 3

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread 3

This topic contains 1,016 replies, has 45 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 5 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@whisht

I should have looked at your original post and lyrics!  I liked “la la le le la lerrrrrrrrhhh rrrrhhhaints” too but when I would bang out, “la lalela” others would say “what are you, nuts?”

<humbly bobs head with squinted eye>

(I’m the one needing subtitles for most Who episodes)

Kharis @kharis

@arbutus @ichabod @puroandson @whisht @pedant @thedentistofdavros

Was it just me, or was there a piece of classical Who music infused in Heaven Sent?

TheDentistOfDavros @thedentistofdavros

@kharis As far as I know there wasn’t but i’d have to rewatch to confirm. It did have a classic vibe though and I have to say it was the best use of music in the new series. Absolutely beautiful honestly it stunned me how good it was.

Arbutus @arbutus

@kharis  @thedentistofdavros     Definitely, there was Beethoven. I forget now exactly what it was as I haven’t seen it in awhile, but it was hugely affecting. I remember being stunned in general by the soundtrack of that episode, it was so unusual for DW and just gorgeous!

Arbutus @arbutus

@kharis  @thedentistofdavros     Oh. I’ve just reread your post and you said “classical Who music”, not “classical music”.   Red face.  I don’t know about the other. I wouldn’t have thought so as my memory of the AG soundtracks is of a very different type of sound. But there was a lot buried in there, so who nose? Plus music is made up of repeated sounds and ideas so often that even inadvertently, bits can show up that recall other music. I’ve had that happen often, when I’ve heard a bit of music that I was sure I knew, and then on looking into it, I realize that there’s some little hook or motif that is poking at my memory.

Kharis @kharis

@arbutus @thedentistofdavros I was also blown away by the soundtrack in Heaven Sent; it was incredibly moving.  For the last few weeks I have been using it for choreography in my classes.

Watching a lot of classic Who you get used to the music and rhythm.  The music from classic Who has a contemplative and “sciency” sound that has a late 70s/early 80s punk sound or a primitive Philip Glass.

On the other hand, Murray Gold is a genius, and there is no doubt that his contributions to New Who are vast, and his music is like a constant companion, improving and heightening every moment.  He is an absolute gift to the show, and he has few contemporaries.  Hearing that little touch of old Who infused with his work really added a sense of continuation and continuity.  Brilliant choice on Gold’s part.

Or maybe it was in my head?  Listen when the Doctor first looks at the painting of Clara.  Let me know what you think.  🙂

ichabod @ichabod

@kharis  Not that bit, but a rendering of “Breaking the Wall” that lays out the basic architecture of that part:

Might help in identifying?

Kharis @kharis

@ichabod I am so enthralled with his music.  It always amazes me to see how people can transcribe music from a symphony to one instrument.  I’m not a musician, but I am always impressed by people who are.

The one small phrase when the Doctor looked at Clara’s picture sounded cut from old Who.  I also noticed the courtyard in the castle reminded me of the courtyard Tardis garden in the classical Who story Logolopolis.  Just like the music, it gently hinted, but didn’t look just like it.  Just enough little hints and shadows of old Who to make his journey in Heaven Sent feel like it truly represented his whole past.

Kharis @kharis

@arbutus @thedentistofdavros @ichabod @puroandson Going back and watching the scene with the painting of Clara in Heaven Sent and then watching the scene in the courtyard in Logolopolis that switches back and forth to the White Watcher I would say both the courtyard itself in Heaven Sent and music in that moment are at least nods to Logolopolis and the White Watcher.

Which makes perfect sense if you think of the themes involved in both episodes.

What do you all think?

ichabod @ichabod

I’m out of action for a bit, friends — eye surgery Friday morning, recovery

involves no reading for a couple of weeks.  I shall return to you as mad as

a (blind) hatter, in due course.

Ichi

winston @winston

@ichabod     I hope your surgery and recovery are as quick and painless as possible. We will certainly miss you here and I look forward to reading your great posts when you come back.

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Ah no my eyes! As Son would say. I also add my echoes of “no pain” and as least unpleasantness as possible (don’t eat any purple jello by the way) for you.

Much love,

Puro and Son

Anonymous @

@kharis

I eerm…shouldn’t say this but I don’t remember enough of Logopolis to know (ahem <feeling silly>)

Kharis @kharis

@ichabod Quick recovery and good luck.  🙂

ichabod @ichabod

Thnx all, goodnight for now . . .

ichi

Arbutus @arbutus

@kharis    I’ve finally had a listen to the music at the spot you mentioned, and I agree. The use of electronic sound at that point and the rather angular melodic shape definitely sounds like early eighties DW. They used to be fond of a kind of synthesized sound that sounded to me like recorders, and a sort of triadic melody line, and this bit reminds me of that. Great spot!

Arbutus @arbutus

@ichabod      Take care of yourself. Look forward to seeing you back after a speedy recovery!  🙂

TheDentistOfDavros @thedentistofdavros

@kharis @arbutus Yes I too have rewatched both scenes and I have to agree that it is definitely similar and obviously a hint of some sort. Great spot there kharis.

Whisht @whisht

been missing in action of late, so I shall amend for my tardiness and suggest a couple of songs for ‘stuff’.

I cannot believe that I haven’t linked to this before (so apologies if I have!).
    A song for the Doctor. He has had many adventures here, but perhaps thinking about Amy and Rory, maybe he’s re-evaluating how he thinks of it:

And here’s the next addition to ‘Music for Monsters’ [lest you forget, this entirely pointless list started on The Sontarans with Generals & Majors by XTC]

Now its the Zygons….

Anonymous @

@whisht happy birthday. Not a birthday song really. But one for our times I think

Puro and Son.

<happy days>

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht     If @puroandson can give you The Walking Dead (loved the song, btw, Puro), I guess I can give you this from Fiddler on the Roof (because I saw a production last week and can’t get the songs out of my head now!). So here it is, complete with lots of glasses raised and noisy dancing (suitable birthday celebration, no?). Mazel tov!

Anonymous @

@arbutus @whisht

That’s a very good song Arbutus -a lot better than my offering, dudette. How can one beat that?

I’m glad you can see production like that in your neck of the woods. In Brisbane, very unlikely, which is a shame although Sydney has a bigger population and therefore more auditoriums etc and a populace that is far more interesting.

In my childhood, when the Czechs got together, it was this song and the other wonderful one, Sunrise, Sunset that coloured my childhood. My late mum and father had gorgeous voices, coupled with the accordion and the violin, it was a festive occasion at our house nearly every week. I think there was tequila too  – rather than schnapps. Honestly? Those people knew how to have a good time.

So, Whisht, hope you’ve had a great birthday. <muttering; must find some better music to equal this at least>

Kindest to you from the Puro family.

Anonymous @

@whisht

I’ve always found this simple aria so glorious. I have (and counting) 32 recordings of this in my ‘collection’ and whilst it’s not the best it’s in my top 5 at least. Popp does an outstanding and effortless rendition.

@arbutus

You and your husband would know that this is normally sung with ‘adornments’ these days (certainly added in Handel’s time occasionally) but this is surprisingly free of accidentals and trills and is all the more beautiful because it’s a simple offering? A real ‘song of praise.’ Bartolli’s isn’t a patch on this. In a film about, ooh 20 years ago, we had the original castrati recording which is appalling – I mean appallingly and mercilessly beautiful. Utterly mesmerising. But I cry when I hear that, so no, not putting that in here.

xo

PuroSolo

Whisht @whisht

I honestly can’t believe that anyone would remember my birthday and then that they would send me a song.

I am absolutely humbled.

Having a stalker is a truly fantastic birthday gift.

;¬)

Now, @puroandson and @arbutus – you really have given me some fantastic birthday tunes (and I am humbled) and now I owe you both.
    Though am I reading too much into the choices of songs, that one is about the living Dead, another is about celebrating Life when one is about to marry, and the other is a famous castrati song?

nah, over-analysing I’m sure….. 🙂

oh, and puro – that idea of “what 3 songs would you like to hear now” (as opposed to “what are your 3 favourite songs”) was my big brother.
    He really is far far better version of me (or me a slightly weaker version of him).

And its his birthday in a couple of days (and though he’s not on these boards I’ll pass along any stalkeryishness!)

Anyway – I am sure I posted this here before, but weirdly I went searching and can’t find me mentioning it (yet my memory says “yes you did, and you then linked to that yiddish-non-yiddish music”)

ah well.

I’ll try to post later (its now 1am UK time so I mean later Friday night!) as this song was hated by a colleague at work, as it has semblance’s of “jazz”.

{sigh}

Anonymous @

@whisht

Oh yes, one must never be too ‘jazzy’. Dicks. 🙂

I. Am. Not. A. Stalker.

🙂

You have posted that song before -it’s lovely. Long time ago though and it was memorable. Lots of great stuff posted by people here that has opened my mind.

Yeah, you’re right -marriage and then castration. Totally not Freudian in any way at all. LOL.

Wishes to your brother -not a Who fan? That’s OK. Other than Son and …the odd person I meet I don’t really know anyone who’s a ‘fan’ fan. A few say “oh yeah, that cool show with the blue box and some guy who reincarnates.”

Oh okaaay. Sure, I’ll take that. Better than nothing!

Hmm. I need to find some more music. I think some Devo is in order? I remember being 15 and jumping up and down and having a bowl hair cut. Not because of Devo but because Mum was too slack to let me have a decent girl’s hair cut. So, you know mostly people (cab drivers in the US) would say “the boy can sit in the back.”

I have never gotten over that.

I need a song about hair.

🙂

Anonymous @

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tbdT-4hFgd4

OK. A Hair song. Well ‘Hair’ anyway. Which, by the way, I never got to see. Shame I think.

Arbutus @arbutus

@puroandson        Popp was truly fabulous, such control over every pitch. And I agree, that aria is one of the most beautiful ever!

Is this version one of your 32?   🙂

And did you also know that Andreas Scholl could sing like this?

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht     I don’t remember if you posted that track before but it’s great.  For the birthday of the Superior Whisht (which I can’t believe, btw, I’ll bet he says the same about you!), with no hints as to the kind of music he likes, here is a gorgeous tune chosen at random from my favourites. Couldn’t quite decide which version to post, so I went with an understated classic.

Anonymous @

@arbutus

Oh yes indeed he is! You’d know this stuff, but for those who don’t, he studied at the school of Cantata (Cantorum) Basiliensis without a primary degree (never happens). He then ended up teaching there following in the footsteps of his own first teacher at the Cantorum. His performance in Rodelinda was awesome as was the recent Stabat Mater performance by Rosano in 2007 in Sydney -which was with the Oz Brandenberg Orchestra and Paul Dyer. I like his work with Roger Norrington, especially.

Anonymous @

@arbutus sorry about that -I missed answering your question at the bottom of the recording you inserted in which I was totally lost! Beautiful.

Kathleen Dineen did a lot of work with him during Scholl’s baritone recordings? The early Renaissance output was pretty considerable for both of them -though mainly for Scholl who aspires in all capacities. Quite the genius? There are geniuses and geniuses!

Mersey @mersey

@arbutus @puroandson

How weird he looks with this beard and black, leather coat singing (almost) like a castrato.

Funny thing. Only yesterday I was deleting some single tracks from my phone and I was to delete one of them but I left it because it was Sholl’s Ombra mai fu.

FFS. Death is really taking the piss now (apparently suicide, allegedly because illness meant he could no longer play).

Anonymous @

RIP Keith @pedant

I loved ELP: introduced to them via my brother who was also a fan of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young at the time. We had road trips and ELP was on cassette as the number one.

I loved their classical mish mash.

Anonymous @

@arbutus

despite it being Bartok -and a predictably good impression, the ELP signature: screaming pitch, elastic guitars, ‘pattery’ keyboard & the spot on drumming was always there.

It’s a great piece and a beautiful nod to Bartok I think

Kindest, PuroSolo

Whisht @whisht

Hi all – yep, been lurking but nothing much to add to all the conversations so….

A few people talking about companions, so here’s one I haven’t done before.

Oh I’ve done Rose within the music-for-companions before, but not this one (mainly as its not that good in terms of appropriateness but as a song…. well, its refreshing!)

;¬)

Arbutus @arbutus

Fifteen seconds of glorious Easter music (I would post the entire Saint Matthew Passion, but I guess that would be excessive!).  🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I have probably posted this before. But it’s my birthday today (no biggie) and this was number one in the UK when I was born (Easter Saturday – I’m so almost Jesus (sorry if that offends anybody – just a joke)). It always makes me want to reach out to those people who need a helping hand.

I wanted to share that the people at Den of Geek (great website – much better than this one) do a great job. If you need a hand, and everybody needs a hand sometime, check them out: http://www.denofgeek.com/geeks-vs-loneliness

If you’re absolutely fine, just enjoy a track written 46 years ago that is still incredible.

Anonymous @

@craig

great to see you back dude (sorry, I’m watching Hell’s Kitchen and it’s all “dude; homie; bro; man” etc) and glad you had a happy b’day and could listen to such great choons. I agree: that which never dates be good.

Puro and Son

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@puroandson Great to be back. You watching Daredevil? Enjoy, I loved it. But not sure how old “son” is. Not sure my friends 13yr old should watch it. What do you think?

Anonymous @

@craig. Actually I’ve been watching (on the sly) Hell’s Kitchen! -I know, pathetic really. But on the plus side finished  Being Human (UK) and continued with House. I don’t know Daredevil. If you say it’s not for Son -then it won’t be!

Certain things he doesn’t watch. He censors himself, thankfully. 🙂

I’ll check it out.

Puro

Anonymous @

@craig -sorry, he’s 14 and a half (he makes sure to add that bit) and yet at 6 foot now looks 17!

Arbutus @arbutus

@craig       A deathless tune. My son has done a couple of different versions in various choirs, and it reduces me to tears every time. Happy birthday!

@puroandson       I agree, the half inch is critical! I am technically 5 ‘ 1 1/2, but I have always called myself 5’2, you have to hang on to your dignity where you can, right? Young Arbutus, 2 years older than Son of Puro, has been calling himself 6’3 for team stats since last fall, but if you want to nitpick, he’s only just gotten there in reality (well, in fairness, it looks more intimidating on a basketball team list!).

I have been meaning to say, as I have been lurking a lot recently, that there have been some great tracks put up here over the past couple of months; and once again, I heard the news of a great artist’s passing from @pedant. I don’t know why I bother with the rest of the Internet, really – you guys are the best!

Anonymous @

son of @arbutus is still very tall indeed. Our son was commenting on his few and “piddling” chest hairs whilst I’m privately hoping he doesn’t have much of that! Young men these days, like young women a few years ago, are shaving or waxing themselves (I call it ‘grating’) continuously. Then there’s the tatts too! Oh, and the piercings. I hope Son of Arbutus, Mr and Mrs, is not on the tatts and piercing game too quickly. I hear in the hospital of some truly horrible tatts gone so wrong there’s blood poisoning and then the infections from piercings in various private and crazy places -now there’s a story. For which I shall go to the Pub.

As for this part of the internet, I agree Lady Arbutus: no need to go elsewhere. About 2 years ago I commented about this being a home away from home. Still is. Thank you @craig and other mods.

I hope @fatmaninabox has his computer issues sorted and that the crazy world of job/search (we call it centre-link) isn’t so awful. At least there’s Easter and few well earned days off.

Peace to all 🙂 and yes, playing the St. Matthew Passion is a glorious thing to do at Easter.

I need to find a song for us. Maybe something involving tattoos. Maybe by Rose Tattoo!

Kindest, Puro (also PS: @wolfweed, hope you are well and are around to get this message/s)

Whisht @whisht

Just thought I’d post some bird-related songs.

Well, why not?

So here’s one from Elbow (where the birds were witnesses rather than the ones being watched)

and here’s a ditty from Mercury Rev. I hadn’t heard this for a long while, so glad I looked through for “birds”!

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht       This is far less sophisticated, but having recently returned from a surfing vacation (I should stress that I wasn’t the one doing the surfing, that was Young Dude Arbutus), I can’t resist posting this:

p.s. @pedant      Thanks, I had “Mr. Sandman” front and centre in my brain for a solid week!  🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hey @arbutus – thanks for that!

Yep, just scraping Family Guy out of my brain now…. (actually I love Family Guy!).

I’m really glad you posted that as hearing that on headphones makes me realise just how amazing that song is – its bonkers!
    The production is really raw, the people playing it are going at it full tilt… they’re not holding anything back.

Its actually a great song (rather than what I had in my head as “oh – that annoying song”).

I initially thought “ooh I must find some psychobilly stuff to reply with” but then I wondered “what else came out in 1963 that I have on my PC?”

And I found this.

Which is totally not what I expected to find.

🙂

@arbutus

Pleasure to be of service!

Anonymous @

right, so things are tuning down at the mo on the site due to low Dr Who activity so I have a task/favour/idea.

Son is 14 and won’t be 15 till November. I made a choice when he was born to purchase every year, a CD/album and/or a classic DVD -many of which he wouldn’t watch ’til now or later.

For instance, on the list was the Manchurian Candidate and he only got ’round to watching it last week and even then it involved mild encouragement and promises of popcorn. He loved it so much he forgot the smoothie and popcorn. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Still, he’s got Revolver, Blonde on Blonde, Sgt Peppers, My Generation, 2 Pink Floyd’s, Furtwangler’s Beethoven 5th and 9th, Forty Licks, Tom Wait’s Asylum Years, Gould playing Bach, Gerard Willems on Beethoven, The Flecktones, some Bowie (no ‘best of’ CDs at all), Rear Window, Psycho, Pelham 123, Winter’s Bone, Twilight

Gotcha on the last one….   😈

Mr Smith Goes to Washington, It’s a Wonderful Life, Bridge Over the River Kwai.

So, does anyone have other suggestions? I think I have The Lives of Others to bequeath this Christmas.

@blenkinsopthebrave I always respect your film choices, @pedant and @jimthefish (who introduced me to Whedon), @whisht for your eclectic musical knowledge, @arbutus and your family too. @tardisblue and @lisa you also possess terrific film knowledge as does @janetteb. Anyone else plz step in…

Kindest and thank you.

PuroSolo

Anonymous @

Also Son discovered The Usual Suspects  two years ago at a mate’s place. A good film but I would have preferred he watch it with me at the age of about 15 and not 12! Whoa. Lots of cursing and other things…

Still, I have NEVER seen The Godfather. Dunno why but it aint happened yet. I should put this on list? I’ve always had a thing about mafia movies ever since De Niro shot a guy in the head and his face fell into the soup. A particularly gross scene from a good film -which we don’t have. Yet.

He also has two albums belonging to The Byrds. A Jimmy Buffet and the irreplaceable Pet Sounds of course. A truly memorable album. He has some B. Joel (hmm) and whilst he’s got Van Halen, ELP and Hendrix none are specific albums and with those three, I have no real idea where to start ‘collecting’.

A friend of mine, often away for work and living in Canberra, has, wait for it…..5000+ collector’s albums. Not to mention a 300 000K stereo which is worth triple the house. That’s likely to burn down and collapse but he lives in the lounge guarding his precious hi-fi and umpteen bookshelves with every album carefully coded. It’s fantasy land. 🙂

Cheers.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,017 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread 3’ is closed to new replies.