General Open Thread – TV Shows (2)

Home Forums General General Open Thread – TV Shows (2)

This topic contains 896 replies, has 66 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 3 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 47 posts - 851 through 897 (of 897 total)
  • Author
    Conchobarre @conchobarre

@missy  I thought I might get stuck into The Thick of It soon too. I need to get my Peter Capaldi fix somehow and I keep falling asleep during The  Musketeers.

Missy @missy

@ichabod;

How well you know me. *grins* Loving it.

@conchobarre:

I know what you mean. However I didn’t fall asleep during the Musketeers, my OH and I really like it. If you haven;t already, do try to see In the Loop – hilarious!

Missy

Laurence Wilson @laurencewilson

Can anyone help me, please? I’m looking for a decent image of the logo or emblem that the Daleks put on the Robomen in the Dalek Invasion of the Earth. They look like letters, spread across the chest and I think in other places in the story.
    Much appreciate any help.

Conchobarre @conchobarre

Hi all

Is there a place around here for spinoff shows (other than Class)? I thought I saw Sarah Jane and Torchwood forums here, but I could be wrong.  I ask because I’ve finally started watching Torchwood Season 3 and I’m getting excited about how much better it seems than the first two seasons.

Missy @missy

Has anyone been watching Ripper Street?

Missy

Missy @missy

We decided to re-watch Prime Suspect (Helen Mirren) the ther evening. Imagine our surprise when Peter Capaldi

took part as a Transvestite!  He looked wonderful, very attractive, but his nose was wrong.  No bump.

This actor is able to be completely different in every role he plays

Missy

Missy @missy

I gather that no one has seen this?

Missy

winston @winston

@missy  I did see this a few years back before I knew Peter Capaldi but I do remember the episode. I will most definately have a rewatch when I can get it at our library.Thanks for the heads up.

winston @winston

@missy  Sorry , I forgot to say that I watched all 5 seasons of Ripper Street and enjoyed all of them all. Every dark ,dreary alley way and all the colorful characters kept me entertained for the whole 5 seasons. I only wish they were making more.

Missy @missy

@winston:

I believe it’s series 3.  I wonder if he really sings too?

@winston:

Yes, me too. Just finished seeing Drake murdered.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Watched new comedy TimeWasters on ITV2 last night. The first episode is about a time-travelling lift and contains a Time Lord joke. The 2nd episode has a sly ‘Doomsday’ reference which made me smile.

tw

Tonight it’s new Red Dwarf on Dave…

Missy @missy

I thought this would be the right place to post.

Just now I watched clips of Peter Capaldi playing  Leonardo da Vinci. And  Machiavelli in “Who’s afraid of Machiavelli.”

Impressive and enjoylable.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Last night’s X-Files was quite guid….

Dam83 @damdam83

Hi i have a copy of the doctor who bluray season 1, but i nootice that the sides have been cut and it is not full 16:9 aspect ratio, it has small black bars at the side about 1cm from each side. But on the original air of the show, it was broadcast in 16:9 with not black bars, can anybody else confirm their bluray is also not 1080p 16:9.

Also yes i tested it and it is cut off you can see parts missing form the sides.

Thank You.

Missy @missy

In case Australians didn’t know. Peter Capaldi is on channel 10 tonight at 6.30pm. The Sunday Project

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

@missy

Now that P Cap is no longer the Dr, he’s allowed to swear again…

janetteB @janetteb

Urgh those accents!! (Eastern Staters..) thanks for the link @wolfweed. We don’t watch free to air, with good reason so would not have caught this otherwise. I would love to let Capaldi/tucker loose on our incompetents in Canberra though I suspect even his invective would be inadequate.
    Cheers
    Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

Bill Potts  has been located…

Adrain Smith @adrainsmith

The CW released the official synopsis, promotional photos and videos for Season 2 Episode 20 of Riverdale – Shadow of a Doubt, airing May 2nd.

For the non-UK viewers (and for that matter the UK viewers yet to see it) take the earliest opportunity you can to watch A Very English Scandal, a three-parter by RTD.

It tells the story of how the 1960s/ 70s leader of the British Liberal Party, Jeremy Thorpe, tried to cover up a homosexual affair (which at the time would have been illegal) by hiring a someone to kill his lover. Despite being acquitted (following a horrifically partial judge’s summing up, famously lampooned by Peter Cook – check youtube) he was politically ruined. The story can only be told in this way now that he is dead.

There are, of course, some very RTD flourishes and a lead performance by Hugh Grant that may be his finest ever.

It will win loads of awards, and rightly so.

Still not convinced about the mid-1970s police driving Morris Minors, though….

Missy @missy

@janetteb: Urgh those accents!! (Eastern Staters..) thanks for the link @wolfweed. We don’t watch free to air, with good reason so would not have caught this otherwise. I would love to let Capaldi/tucker loose on our incompetents in Canberra though I suspect even his invective would be inadequate.

Wouldn’t that be hilarious, the would wonder what had hit them!

Missy

Missy @missy

@pedantA Very English Scandal,

Yes, I want to see this, I remember the affair quite well. Not keen on Hugh Grant, but he seems to have made a good effort. Ben Whishaw is always extraordinary, no matter what he does. Did anyone see The Hour?

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy yes indeed. Am still grumpy that it was cancelled while shows like Poldark just go on and on. (I enjoyed the first series for what it was, lightweight sunny entertainment but by series 2 the plot was getting a bit frayed. Season three it started snapping.)

Hugh Grant, is capable of acting. He just got badly type cast after Four Weddings and fell into a rut. He was a fine Doctor, for the two or so minutes he had in the role. (Curse of Fatal Death) Good to see him demonstrating what he is capable of again. Agree Ben is an amazing actor.

Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb;

I was furious! what happened to Freddie? Did he survive? GRRRRRRrrrr!

They did the same to Home Fires, did you watch that series?

As for Poldark………enough said! *grins*

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

@pedant   @missy   @janetteb

Finally got around to watching A Very English Scandal. Must see TV with lots of laugh out loud moments.

(Murray Gold did the music & Eve Myles plays someone called Gwen. Jason Watkins and Adrian Scarborough also appear.)

This documentary followed and might also be interesting to viewers.

@wolfweed

And Cook’s sketch:

https://youtu.be/Kyos-M48B8U

Hmm. Don’t know why it won’t embed.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@pedant  Thanks. Never seen that before. What a paragon of impartiality…

judge

In other news, Joss Whedon and Monica Owusu-Breen are working up a Buffy reboot for HBO: Clicky

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Have just been reading that Patrick Stewart is reprising Jean Luc Picard in a new TV Star Trek show.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/aug/04/patrick-stewart-to-reprise-role-as-star-treks-jean-luc-picard

He talks about the need for an inspirational figure “in these dark times”. Couldn’t agree more. And who can do inspirational better than Jean Luc Picard?

My idea for the show is that the Federation has been taken over by a race called “the deplorables” ruled by “the Orange One”, whose sole purpose is to undo all the achievements of the Federation. And Picard will be the rational voice of the resistance.

Looking forward to it!

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  That would be excellent!  I will admit that rash .rule-breaking Kirk is my favourite captain but I wouldn’t want to be on his ship. Picard was a very calm and reasonable captain, not so prone to risking the lives of his crew. Much better to serve under him.

Maybe the Incredibles could take on the deplorables and the tangerine tot.

Missy @missy

What is there to understand about small-minded racism?

This seemed the more appropriate place to bore the pants off members who knew what I was getting at. It seems I must make myself even clearer for some.

If an English born Indian actor is cast in the title role of David Copperfield, surely one of his parents must also be Indian? It’s one thing to tweak away at a classic novel, but surely it must make sense?

One supposes that it’s David’s father, as he is dead when the story opens.

Does this make me a ‘small minded racist?’ If so, my understanding of ‘racism’ is badly at fault.

Missy

Bradachin @bradachin

How is a fan of the new series to purchase the dvd’s of the first 10 years, including all the 2 hour specials and xmas specials?

Without massively breaking the bank, of course.

@bradachin

Here you go…

Presumably much cheaper on totallylegimimatedownloads.com…

Missy @missy

Anyone been watching Line of Duty?

Missy

NearlySane @nearlysane

@missy

Yes, watched all the series of Line of Duty. They’re currently filming the next one.

Have had a check through the thread, can’t see any mention of Inside No 9, a couple of the episodes have been as good as anything I’ve seen of late.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned this before. Sorry if I missed a comment. But ‘The Good Place’ came on to my radar recently and I’ve been binge-watching it on Netflix.

Its got a great pedigree and combines comedy with moral philosophy. Ted Danson was recently nominated for an Emmy for Season Two.

It’s about a woman who dies and ends up in ‘The Good Place’, only to realise that there’s been a mistake and she should really be in ‘The Bad Place’. So she tries to be a better person so that she can stay, by learning morals and ethics.

It’s very funny, clever and a lot of it is very inventive. There are crazy twists and turns, and it’s just really enjoyable.

And for those who’ve been on this forum for a while, guess what? There’s a whole episode on the trolly problem. Loved it.

@craig

Have binged it about 4 times now. It is simply outstanding, really rewards repeat viewing and the short-season format serves it well. Not a single filler.

Maximum Derek.

@nearlysane

Inside No 9 is great – a sort short form Black Mirror.

NearlySane @nearlysane

@craig

Yes, love The Good Place – I can see it struggle to repeat the consistency of the 1st series in the second one. It uses up philosophy ideas at a quite frightening rate.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@nearlysane I loved the second series – they start taking it in a whole new direction, and the final episode was actually quite touching.

But I do struggle to see how they can take it beyond three series – but they might surprise me – so far the third series has been great as well.

@craig @nearlysane

Apparently have have a 7 season arc planned.

ichabod @ichabod

@craig  @nearlysane  @pedant  Something I came across in the NYT Magazine section a couple of weeks ago about “The Good Place”:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/04/magazine/good-place-michael-schur-philosophy.html?fbclid=IwAR0avBkFnWqcGpb_dk4wv0Jz8gRpVWhRBWR3qz_Iz39XFhIVw-VNOCEmm1c

My name is Ichabod, and I am addicted.  People love this, or hate it (yes, a few misguided souls — er, viewers can’t deal with it, for various reasons).  It’s appointment TV for me, every Thursday evening, and I am thrilled to bits to hear that they’ve got a 7 season arc not just, you know, “let’s see if we can stretch this thing to 7 seasons”, but plans (because there’s no way you could run this out that far without a pretty damn good idea of where it’s going and how it’s going to get there, IMO).  On a discussion site for TGP, the general opinion seems to be that “Janet” is the favorite character of many fans — played by an actress with an impressive background in comedy improve, and boy does it show!

There’s a “blooper” reel online someplace for TGP, and it’s great — lots of improv going on, some that should have made the cut but didn’t, damn it — and yet!  You can still see it!  The glory of modern TV and the internet — here in The Ghastly Place!

Enjoy!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

While we’re discussing Demons of the Punjab, can I just give a shout-out to another programme in the BBC’s Remembrance Day schedule – They Shall Not Grow Old, directed by Whovian Peter Jackson.

He appeared in The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, and I think he may have done some other stuff as well. 🙂

The project sounded slightly doubtful in advance – he’s used CGI to colourise the original archive footage, together with lip-reading techniques to work out what some of the people in the archive footage were saying. Then actors have revoiced their words.

But in fact, that colourised and dubbed footage has been worked into the documentary with great sensitivity. There’s no narrator – the narration is oral history recordings collated from the Imperial War Museum’s archives. The colourised footage is used for Western Front scenes, and it has been done in such a way that it simply feels like this is what the war reporters would have shot – would have wanted to have shot – if they’d had the technology available at the time.

It’s well worth watching; it can be distressing. Especially seeing the genuine footage of the real cost of the war – all those dead young men, without the distancing effect of black and white.

Mudlark @mudlark

@bluesqueakpip

It’s well worth watching; it can be distressing. Especially seeing the genuine footage of the real cost of the war – all those dead young men, without the distancing effect of black and white.

Yes, it is astonishing how much colour and sound effects contribute to the sense of immediacy, and this was very well done – far more so than any previous attempt at colouring old B & W footage I have seen to date.

I recorded the film yesterday evening and have just finished watching it, and it was a very direct and powerful testimony to the feelings and experience of the men at the western front. The coda, with the survivors’ reflections on the lack of interest in or understanding of their experiences which they met when they returned home was also very poignant. I know that few ever talked of it later, whether for that reason or because they felt it was impossible to communicate the reality.  And then many of them had to deal with unemployment and desperate poverty.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

“Death and Nightingales” starts tonight on BBC 2 at 9pm – it’s a three part drama. Many years ago I worked on an adaptation and only now is it making it to the screen – not with my script though. I posted my script elsewhere on this site – I think in the pub!

It should be good – the book is very strong – my film company (along with the Weinstein company) won the rights in a bidding war against Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson (when they were married). And I used to know the writer/director Allan Cubitt very well and he’s a very good writer – not sure what he’s like as a director.

Trigger warnings – it does contain spousal abuse and the threat of child abuse (although that doesn’t happen).

DrWho @drwhodan

I was born in 1979 July 26 as Daniel Ray Ortiz and it changed with moms first marriage at age 11 she asked what did I want my middle name to be and I said make it my real dads last name so Daniel Hazelton Waters.

By 2014 I do not remember when exactly I realized all my names acronym is DrWho. Then I found this anagram of all names DrWho a zany letters realization. I seen so much other stuff like this state I live in Washington and states around it is WA HI OR ID an anagram of that is I AI DrWho. USA has me in anagrams also.

Doctor

janetteB @janetteb

@craig Wow. Impressed. I am really looking forward to seeing this series. It looks like something I will really like and it is set in Ireland an added bonus. I notice there are several Irish drama series in the works at the moment, one featuring the 1916 Uprising.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

We watched “Priscilla Queen of the Desert” last night. We hadn’t seen it for ages – now I shall buy it.

The irony was that it’s an Australian film which won awards, and yet it’s three main stars weren’t Australian.

Terence Stamp was born in London, Guy Pierce in Cambridgeshire and Hugo Weaving in Nigeria.

Wonderful film, which should have won more awards.

Missy

Viewing 47 posts - 851 through 897 (of 897 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.