General Open Thread – TV Shows (2)

Home Forums General General Open Thread – TV Shows (2)

This topic contains 919 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan 4 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 901 through 920 (of 920 total)
  • Author
    winston @winston

@craig  It is a great show and Sandra Oh is excellent.  Also she is Canadian.

Missy @missy

@craig

Have seen it  and really rate it. Still waiting for series two. However, I still feel that Jodie (blimey that name gets around) Comer should have won best actress. she was terrifying.

Missy

Missy @missy

Hello all, just a quick visit. This is again about Radio.

As you know, or should by now, I listen to a lot of stuff on BBC Radio 4 Extra. Today I heard a wonderful play by Al Smith called Life Lines (Omnibus) first dramatised for Radio this year.

If any of you have been fortunate enough to watch Ambulance UK or Australia this series is the same, with subtle differences. Absolutely superb, especially the story abut a bitch called Nigel – actually all of them are wonderful.

I urge you to  take some time and listen to this .

later

Missy

nerys @nerys

@craig We just started watching Killing Eve last night, and you’re right. It’s superb!

Not so great has been Star Trek Discovery, which has had a very uneven second season. It’s like the show can’t make up its mind what it is: pure comic book, trying to pay homage to the series’ canon or soap opera. Every time I got my hopes up that finally the series was finding its way, in the next episode everything would fall apart again.

And then there was last night’s finale. The “show, don’t tell” mantra seems to be lost on these writers. Way, way too many ‘xplosions, way too much ‘xplaining going on. I agree with this review (which ends on a hopeful note; maybe now that they’re done connecting all the dots, they’ll get around to some actual storytelling).

Mudlark @mudlark

Has anyone here in the UK been watching the latest from RTD – ‘Years and Years’?  The reviewers – at least those I have read – have been enthusiastic, though there has, been the inevitable carping BTL  -‘ third rate imitation of Black Mirror’, ‘diversity-by-numbers’, ‘BBC left wing agenda’ etc. etc.  But, since I regard the BBC as far less left wing than myself and my own family is diverse to approximately the same degree, I have been enjoying it – a rollicking glimpse of the near future as seen through the eyes and experience of three generations of one family;  blackly pessimistic,  funny and frenetically paced (and with a pretty strong cast, to boot).

janetteB @janetteb

@mudlark, written by RTD, has Emma Thompson in it, left wing, (as I would expect from RTD). It is very definitely on my “too watch” list. I have been reading the reviews and it sounds interesting. I am currently writing a story set in “near future” dealing with the impact of climate change and growing income inequality. Was supposed to set in the present but I find I am incapable of writing about the present. It limits the creativity.

Cheers

Janette

syzygy @thane16

@janetteb @mudlark  @nerys

that sounds good -I don’t know if we have it on Netflix or the ABCiview -Janette you might know too? Are you streaming it on the “ever so fast NBN?”  I mean Davie’s series.

We love Killing Eve -it dipped in the first 2 new episodes but has exploded upward since. Have you see Harrow, Janette? If you haven’t been bothered  I really wouldn’t it’s trying to be comedy slapstick with dead serious stuff and not working. Lots of people in Brisbane are talking about it but I’m not sure the actor (Gruffid) is doing as well as they think.

Oh and we saw Dr Foster and Mum was ballistic with excitement. It took about a week then she said “I got it!”

Typically I said “uhm?”

And she started babbling about Euros. Sian (who’s real name IS Sian) is in Dr Foster. A funny and odd character. I never picked it 🙁

@nerys mum said “helloo” and to everyone too.

Thane (break from tests)

winston @winston

@mudlark  That sounds worth looking for. Thanks for the tip.  In my opinion , the BBC  does not seem too far left. I know because I am way too far left and people need not fear me  because I am the least threatening person I know.  Anyway diversity is the future.

@janetteb  Your story sounds interesting and all too plausible as the poor will suffer more from the impacts of climate change. Extreme heat or cold costs more just to live comfortably, food and housing costs keep rising and bad air makes people sick. A great idea for a story.

I imagine many of you have seen the hype surrounding Chernobyl, the HBO/ Sky Atlantic mini-series.

Every bit of the hype is justified. It is simply the best piece of storytelling you will see this year, or many other years, by an absolute mile. The acting is universally superb and unpretentious. The script is a masterclass in economy in telling a complex tale. The score is simply incredible.

But it genius, its absolute genius, is that it is told from the point of view of people in the midst of catastrophe, with no smart-arsed benefit-of-hindsight preachiness. And as a consequence, it becomes absolutely pertinent to today’s world.

Whatever your viewing plans are, rearrange them by fair means or foul.

winston @winston

@pedant  I have heard about the show and I am glad it is as good as they say. I will have to wait for my library to order it but they are pretty good at getting things if people request them. Thanks for the review.

winston @winston

I just finished the miniseries Good Omens based on a book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman with the script by Gaiman and I really enjoyed it. An angel and a demon on earth since the beginning must team up to stop the end. It is a funny ,tongue in cheek story about good versus evil with a great cast including David Tennant , Micheal Sheen, Jack Whitehall and Miranda Richardson. The only thing wrong with it is that it was over too soon.  It is a great summer series.

janetteB @janetteb

@winston Really looking forward to Good Omens. Have not had time to watch it yet. I am currently ‘discovering” Terry Pratchett and loving his writing. I am currently reading Mort. Good Omens might be a good “pick up” watch after Chernobyl. I am also looking forward to Stranger Things which starts next week. The boys insisted I watch it last year and I was hooked.

Cheers

Janette

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@pedant agree, absolutely brilliant. There was, I think, a small element of hindsight, though never smart-arse or preachy, from the opening scene.

I also have to mention the scene I was absolutely dreading (I’m trying to avoid spoilers even though this is an historical series and it’s something that actually happened – but there is a webpage named for this particular aversion) was handled absolutely sensitively and respectfully.

I’ve been reading Russian novels recently, especially 19th century, and just listed to a series of lectures on Russian literature, and one thing that struck me was how very Russian a lot of this was – this baseline conflict between the solider and the bureaucrat, with peasants (I don’t mean that word with any disrespect) standing to the side barely touched by anything but interference between them and the land/work creating moments of sadness and bathos.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@winston it was good, wasn’t it? Clearly a labour of love from Gaiman to Pratchett.

@janetteb – my boyfriend and I are near the end of season two re-watch ready for Thursday, quite excited.

winston @winston

@miapatrick  I watched it and then I waited 3 days and watched it again. So good! @janetteb I watched the first few episodes of Stranger Things while visiting my son and I really liked it but I have to wait for the next visit to watch more or hope my library orders it.

nerys @nerys

@pedant My husband and I watched Chernobyl a few weeks ago and were absolutely blown away by it. As @miapatrick noted, they never descended into preachiness. And their portrayals of the effects of radiation on the human body were excruciating to watch … but important to see so that we understand the gravity of the situation. There was so much I didn’t know, including certain actions that had to be taken in the Exclusion Zone (to which I think @miapatrick is referring). I thought I wouldn’t be able to watch, but it was handled sensitively enough that I got through it. But it stayed on my mind long after we were done watching.

I want to read the book on which the series was based, but it’s not available at our local library, so I’ve put a hold on another book that I’ll read in the meantime. I read an article contrasting the book, and the portrayal of certain scenes. There was some dramatization, which of course we should expect. It’s not a documentary, it’s a drama. But I can understand why they took the departures they did. As the article pointed out, a series about people meekly accepting their fate, without protest or complaint, would not be stimulating viewing. It’s a remarkable window into the Russian world, and is richly deserving of all the praise it’s receiving.

Oh, and @thane16, I’m sorry I’m only just now seeing your post. Please say hello to your mom for me!

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Hello all, have been AWOL for a while but prompted to post re a couple of TV things.  First off, Years and Years, highly recommended. Very RTD (in both its virtues and its flaws).  Managed to be funny and heartbreaking and provocative – not perfect by any means (I won’t be too specific about my quibbles for those who haven’t seen it yet) but brilliant performances and quite terrifying in terms of the plausibility of this particular dystopian vision of the future.  Secondly, Series 2 of Trust Me.  The first series starred our JW, and was an enjoyable if not credible hospital based thriller in which she played someone pretending to be a doctor, oddly enough.  Series 2 was denied JW since she had become a real Doctor by then and so was an entirely separate enjoyable if not credible hospital based thriller – but if you watch it, there are some lovely Who nods in the first couple of episodes!  Chernobyl we haven’t seen yet but since everyone we know has recommended it, will have to catch up with it soon!

janetteB @janetteb

Hi @cathannabel

@winston watched the first three episodes of Good Omens last night and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Unfortunately however we are also two episodes into the new series of Stranger Things so now is a toss up as to which to watch first.

there are apparently lots of Dr Who “Easter eggs” in Good Omens. I will have pay more attention as I have yet to spot any.

there are quite a few good series coming out at the moment but I was disappointed to see that War of the Worlds is not being released until next year. I have been looking forward to it for some time now. Dracula, the series created by Moffat and Gatiss is however due out some time later this year according to IMDB.

cheers

Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@mudlark @cathannabel @janetteb et al

I’d heartily add to the Years and Years recommendations. It is very RTD-esque but none the worst for it. It’s also a long overdue BBC foray into drama dealing with contemporary issues rather than desperately trying to avoid them in costume and/or crime drama.

@pedant

I’m very much looking forward to Chernobyl once I can figure out a (legal) way to get hold of it. Must also try and check out Good Omens too.

@jimthefish

It should still be on Now TV, which has a monthly sub, asl long as you remember to cancel it (I used … ahem… other means, because the stench of Murdoch is not that easily removed). DVD/Bluray out later this month (and on order).

(Also can you look at user dfhghdfg05, who is, to quote the Artic Monkeys, not quite legitimate…

Viewing 20 posts - 901 through 920 (of 920 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.