On the Sofa 11

Home Forums On the Sofa 11

This topic contains 148 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  winston 6 hours, 41 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

This is a place to congregate, somewhere to “hang out”. It’s a topic for general chat about anything you want, and a place for new members to pop in and say “hello” without worrying about making any real contribution (we know that your first post can sometimes feel daunting). We’d love to hear from you all. We’re very friendly.

Conversations on the previous ‘sofa’ can be found here.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

As I’ve not been a regular for a while I thought it best to bring a gift. A brand new Sofa! This snazzy little number is from IKEAs kerplunk range. Enjoy! Oh, and…

HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY DOCTOR WHO FORUM!

Yes – it was 31st December 2012 when @craig very kindly set up this place to kill time and celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who. We’d just watched a Christmas Special and were complaining that we only had eight episodes before the anniversary special in November. Frankly, didn’t know when we were well off!

Anyway – as you see in 2023 raise a glass to old, new and absent friends, but above all a thank you to @craig. Cheers!

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Thank you @phaseshift and  our lord and “master” emperor  @craig without which this space would not exist. Btw given all news lately about the 60th anniversary, and though I have been a lifelong fan of TV Who  for some reason Beep the Meep seemed to have passed me by possibly because I never got the DW weekly magazine my local suppliers of comics at the time being rather snobbish about what kids magazines the held in stock ie if it wasn’t DC or Marvel they didn’t stock them. I have been looking online to see if any of the comic book adventures of Beep  have been digitally reproduced but other than a plethora of TV magazine articles I can’t seem find much other than the odd single frame images.

winston @winston

@phaseshift   Wow!  Happy 10th anniversary to our forum. Thanks to everyone here for making it such a great place to visit and chat. Thank you also to @craig    for setting up the site 10 years ago and picking a day that is easy to remember. So happy 10th and a Happy Who Year to all you Whovians out there, where ever you happen to be. Next year looks like its going to be a good one for Who fans. Bring it on RTD!

Stay hopeful

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@phaseshift

Thanks for the new sofa and jolly spiffy it is too. With regards, to the conversation on the previous sofa, yes, I must admit to a moment of squee when I saw Meep and the Wrath Warriors — a really interesting one to bring to the screen, I think as they strike me as some of the most comic book-ey characters you could name but it looks to me that they’ve done a really good job with them. But which I guess is really quite canny of RTD because there’s a nostalgia factor there but it’s not too overt or overly familiar. And it does make me hopeful that RTD hasn’t lost his touch with Who with him hitting the anticipation buttons right out of the gate.

And interesting point you make about the show now having access to the Marvel back catalogue with the move to Disney. And as RTD has expressed an interest in a DW continuity universe, who know what else we might see. (I’d like to put in a pre-emptive bid for Kroton.)

And, good heavens, is it really 10 years? That’s a scary statistic in and of itself.

Tawnyowl38 @tawnyowl38

Hello everyone I’m tawnyowl38 or just tawny I’m new to doctor who since I’m up to episode 6 of season 1 so I’m sorry if I dont get alot of the reference from the latter seasons! The music I like is: gorillaz, breakcore, speedcore, emo music, lapfox trax, drum and bass, dubstep, blink182, fall out boy, my chemical romance, sleeping with sirens, black veil brides, nirvana, carrington, mindless self indulgence, pet shop boys, old music (in general), fleetwood mac, nickelback, dj shadow, dot dot curve, green day, eminem, dire straits and 2000s music (in general). The movies I like are: trainspotting, a clockwork orange, the nightmare before christmas and lock stock and two smoking barrels. The tv shows I like are: kino’s journey, watamote, the owl house, ren and stimpy, south park and the promised neverland, hazbin hotel, helluva boss, rick and morty, death note and daria. The books I like are: manga, graphic novels, moomin series and jthm series and the games I like are: littlebigplanet, journey, skullgirls, undertale, moshi monsters and club penguin!

Dentarthurdent @dentarthurdent

Hi Tawny @tawnyowl38
    Season 1 – that’d be S1 of New Who I take it? (Also known as ‘After Gap’ or ‘AG’ Who, as opposed to ‘Before Gap’). The Season with Rose Tyler and Chris Eccleston as the Doctor?
    You’ve got a good long way to go, I almost envy you.
    You may need to beware of ‘spoilers’, we’re supposed not to post them without warning but of course we sometimes lapse.
    I think you’re quite young compared with (most of us) oldies, I recognise Fleetwood Mac and Dire Straits. Your taste in movies is fairly ‘dark’, Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels is a good black comedy.
    Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Tawnyowl38 @tawnyowl38

Yea it was from the new version that was made in 2005 also I just finished all of s1 of it so I’m now on s2 also do u mean “I almost envy you” in a bad or good way?. I’ll try my best to get away from spoilers and oh really? Wow that’s cool also yea I like dark movies and tv shows especially British shows but thanks! 🙂

@tawnyowl38 I don’t mean that in a bad way. You’ve got 12 or so seasons yet to view before you run out of new episodes, so that’s a good thing I guess. But for me to be in your position, I’d have to forget all the episodes I’ve seen, and I wouldn’t want to do that. So which of us is the more fortunate? (I don’t think there’s an answer to that).

DoctorInes @doctorines

Hi everyone !
    My name is Inès and I appreciate Doctor Who a lot. Actually, I’m a french Student (therefore my bad grammar) and for my english class I have to do a presentation regarding The Tardis, I thought it would be a good topic but I didn’t found a lot of things to say about it… That’s why I wanted to know if you had any info that would make my presentation unique and interesting !

Thx for your Time <3

Hi @doctorines Your English is a lot better than my French!

But there’s an awful lot to say about the Tardis…

The Tardis – there’s a Wikipedia page on it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS
    that gives quite a lot of detail.
    There’s also an excellent site at tardis.fandom.com that is full of information on every Doctor Who episode and character *except*, ironically, the Tardis. But probably far too much to easily digest.

Here’s a site that lists all the Tardis interiors: https://thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/tardis/interior/

(the exterior always looks pretty much the same, it takes a real expert to tell which vintage any given Tardis exterior is from)

To summarise – the Tardis is a time machine. The Time Lords of Gallifrey had a lot of Tardises but the one in the series is a Type 40 that the Doctor stole (or the Tardis ‘chose’ the Doctor and manipulated him into stealing it). It has some sort of psychic link with the Doctor, which is possibly why it often reconfigures its control room completely when the Doctor ‘regenerates’. It is conscious and intelligent.

Quite often, the Tardis’s time-navigation is a bit inaccurate, sometimes arriving days or years before or after the intended date. Some times deliberately – Doctor: You didn’t always take me where I wanted to go. Tardis: No, but I always took you where you needed to go. (‘The Doctor’s Wife’)
    It is, famously, ‘bigger on the inside’. Nobody knows (because the show hasn’t said) just how big it is. And it looks like a 1960’s police telephone box because its ‘chameleon circuit’ is stuck.

The Tardis’s power source – well, I’m a bit unsure of that. It’s something like a contained supernova or some equally unimaginable power, if it got loose it could destroy the Universe. Or something.

The Tardis has a ‘translation circuit’ which seems to extend to anywhere its crew go, which translates everything into English. (This seems to be essential in Scifi series, for obvious reasons).

The Doctor can drive it, but he’s not a very good driver (the funny whoosh-whoosh noise in because he leaves the handbrake on). River Song can drive it much better, but then she was conceived in the Tardis and it taught her how to drive it. The Tardis is almost impossible to damage or break into from outside, however it can be ‘imprisoned’, teleported (I think), picked up by a helicopter, etc.

Other Tardises do exist in the series, for example in ‘Hell Bent’ the Doctor and Clara stole another Tardis from Gallifrey billions of years in the future, and it is now flying around disguised as an American Diner (or some other object, its chameleon circuit is probably still working) in the possession of Clara and Ashildr/Me.

Apologies if you already knew all that.

Plenty more where that came from, but I hope that gives you a few talking points?
    Bonne chance!

Doctor lou @thedoctor234

Hi, I’m willing to Have A Doctor Who Roleplay Server, And is wanting to have anybody that can get Garrys Mod,

Its on steam, a gaming platform !

Doctor lou @thedoctor234

Would anybody Love to Roleplay in a doctor who Rolepaying server, I’ll give instructions !

syzygy @thane16

@tawnyowl38

welcome to the forum. I’m in my early 20s & recognise Blink182 & Lock Stock etc. Like @dentarthurdent I also know Fleetwood Mac & Dire Straits though I’m pretty sure most of my friends wouldn’t have a clue. I don’t know what lapfox trax, breakcore or speedcore is! I think emo was connected to the scene kids of the ‘10s which I basically kept away from.

😆😆That makes me feel really old: I should recognise those bands or shows.

Mum finally convinced me to watch I Claudius, & in addition to reading Virgil & Homer plus some War and Peace (!) I’ll be doing that pretty much all year.

I recently read a small book about mapping and clocks called Longitude (a seminal work, I’m told, in its description of how the first seafarers went about examining how time works- very Doctor Who) as well as John Ralston Saul’s Globalism as an introduction to how people view economics.

@doctorines welcome to this forum too. I’m at uni but as my semester doesn’t start yet & my part time job chopped back my hours I have time on my hands so caught up on recent Doctor Who & other things (cleaning my room was one of them- not exactly inspiring).

cheers to you all. Hopefully more members will join & post to keep this forum rocking.

Hi syzygy @thane16 I read ‘Longitude’ a while ago, it was largely about a clockmaker (Harrison – I just had to google that). As I dimly recall, though, it didn’t go into a lot of detail about how he managed to achieve super-accurate timekeeping (I could be wrong about that though).

I’ve just paused my intermittent re-watch at the end of Season 6 to view some movies. I was prompted (by a Youtube video) to re-watch Once Upon a Time in The West, Sergio Leone’s ultimate spaghetti western, and still my favourite. Surprisingly, because it’s very leisurely and requires a relaxed approach and I wasn’t feeling particularly relaxed – surprisingly, as soon as the ten-minute nothing-happening title sequence started, it just ‘clicked’ with me and I enjoyed the whole movie better (including Ennio Morricone’s haunting score) than ever before. I’ve found my enjoyment of movies or episodes very often depends on the mood I’m in, but I can never predict it.

Now I’m going to try Lord of the Rings (the original movie), I couldn’t see anything in it first time around, I’ll see if it’s improved with age or a 55″ TV screen…

syzygy @thane16

@dentarthurdent you are probably right about Longitude. I needed a dictionary and encyclopaedia (I actually have a large Collins encyclopaedia of History) to work out what the hell was happening.

I like Morricone too. And Lord of The Rings: but once was enough for me.
    I’ve realised it’s not War and Peace but Crime and Punishment! I can’t even correctly remember the titles of the books I’m supposed to be reading. 🙄🙄 😆

I have to admit LOTR still does nothing for me. Just 5 minutes longer than Once Upon a Time in the West but it seemed much longer. I think there were too many characters and too much stuff going on, and hobbits are annoying. And somehow, the heroes seem so utterly outnumbered at every stage that it’s hard to credit them surviving, so that reduces credibility.

I’ve never read Tolstoy (or Dostoevksy either). I’m afraid I used to find the ‘classics’ assigned to us at school, rather hard going. Except for Shakespeare, Shakespeare understood Moffat’s dictum of ‘you need to have something happen every few minutes to keep the audience engaged’. (Except Hamlet, he was all talk and no action – ‘get on with it, kill somebody’. Bloodthirsty kid, I must have been).
    I was a compulsive reader, would read anything, but I preferred (some) popular stuff like Arthur C Clark, John Wyndham, even Arthur Conan Doyle, and of course Doug Adams later on.

syzygy @thane16

@dentarthurdent

Hallooo! It’s the elder Syzygy reportin’ in. I’d thought I’d head to the new Sofa.

yes, it was certainly a freak storm: not surprising in Brisbane at this time of year but certainly the worst in this suburb we’ve seen for quite awhile with respect to the amount of rain,  hail & wind causing furniture & cars to be pushed about. Thane mentioned the weather warnings, which, again, were poor & far too late: not unusual in itself.

Also not a surprise that people were dashing past on the nearby streets, failing to pull over so there were the typical accidents as well as those who believe “I can take this storm! My car will handle it easily…”  🙄

also, yes, the storms in NZ were all over the news in separate countries. Glad you were OK.
    I recognise Thane mentioned @winston & possibly @blenkinsopthebrave regarding any previous storms and winter rain in Canada but that was on the Spoiler thread. Hoping you’re alright & doing well.

Kindest, Puro the Old.

syzygy @thane16

@dentarthurdent

I think you should give Tolstoy a whirl. Not a bad story teller…. 😀

Hullo Puro. I must admit I’m a little confused, you and young syzygy both use the same name and log in as @thane16?
    I’m pleased you and young syzygy came through the storm unscathed.

Are these storms getting more frequent? We’ve had two major events in two weeks here. But it seems to me the few regulars on these pages have been experiencing wild weather a lot more recently (or is it just my memory of older events fading).
    Today was fine so I went for a drive to the beach (via two diversions around closed roads) but the Piha Road was closed anyway. So I drove down to Titirangi Beach, low tide, there was a car sitting at the base of the cliffs. I don’t think it drove there or floated there, I think it came 50 feet down the cliff with a slip.

I just watched A Town Called Mercy to cheer me up. Marvellous episode.

syzygy @thane16

@dentarthurdent

indeed we do. Mother and son. There are times when he types and I think, other times when I don’t have a clue he’s on and other times when for 3 years he’s not on Forum at all.
    but he’s still in the house -I smell his socks when I pass his room.

I believe he vacuumed it yesterday, though.

you’re right about the hellish weather. It’s worse everywhere & it’s climate change.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

I came across this interesting insight into the early days of the show. Thought I would share.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/the-1963-doctor-who-diaries-of-waris-hussein-part-one/

Is ‘On The Sofa’ back?   I thought it had sunk without trace.

Anyway, @blenkinsopthebrave, I took a look at Waris’s diary and now I’m hooked, down the rabbit hole we go again…

Thanks for the link!

In light of various goings on in London, I thought I would share this

Sophie Okonedo rocks!

(Why couldn’t she have been the first female Doctor?    If Capaldi could do it why not Sophie?   Maybe because Liz10 was far more memorable than some snotty Pompeiian aristocrat.)

winston @winston

@dentarthurdent  @blenkinsopthebrave    Liz 10 was a very cool character and I would love to see her back on Who. She would make a great Doctor.

I am planning on watching the “Are you my Mummy?” episodes tonight. It has some scares and some laughs and Captain Jack! These episodes have some great banter if you like that kind of thing and I do. There is a happy ending and the Doctor dances, what more can you ask for. I love Eccleston’s cheeky grin as he realizes that he can dance.

stay safe

A couple of nights ago, Mrs Blenkinsop and I thought it would be fun to watch an old Peter Davison story from the 1980s. We chose “Warriors of the Deep” featuring the Silurians, in 4 episodes. Oh dear, it was feeble!

Two companions–Tegan, who who spent the entire four episodes being slightly whiny, and Thurlow, who was unconvincingly angry with everyone. And poor Peter Davison lacked any real sense of authority as the Doctor. I had seen a lot of Who back in those years, but remember abandoning it during the Peter Davison years. This story reminded me why. But it wasn’t Peter Davison who was at fault. It was the vision that the showrunner had for Who. And that person was, of course, John Nathan Turner. This story exemplified that. It was done like…a Roger Moore James Bond movie, but without the budget.

Who knows, I may dip into some other 1980s Who to see if I am being too harsh. Or maybe not.

@blenkinsopthebrave    I have to admit, I find many older TV episodes somewhat lacking in conviction.   I think it’s partly due to better production values these days.   I emphatically don’t think heaps of over-the-top whizz-bang is a substitute for a good story and acting, but I have to admit that insufficient or inadequate props (like some of the old Who monsters) were sufficiently rudimentary to involuntarily engage my sense of the absurd and drop me out of the story.  Daleks, though, are fairly immune to this effect.

Even  The Prisoner suffers slightly from that – not to the point of spoiling my interest, the effects still hold up just adequately, but the sense of spookiness and mystery that struck me when Six’s cottage door opened by itself or a statue turned round to scan him (and I can still remember that feeling even if I can’t re-experience it), has evaporated in these days when every shop has automatic doors and CCTV is everywhere.     Blakes Seven I have to regard with a very tolerant eye and try to immerse myself in the characters before it works for me.

As a total aside, I had a kidney stone ‘removed’ on Monday – what they do now is, they shatter it with a laser.   Just think of that – a laser powerful enough to blow apart a little soft rock that can fit way up ones insides – is that science fiction or what?    Into the Dalek stuff…

@dentarthurdent I actually quite enjoyed the wobbly sets in old Who, and The Avengers with Diana Rigg and The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan, both when I watched them as a teenager and now. Why? Because the writing and the “vision” of them was miles ahead of American TV at the time. The problem with Who during the JNT years, was that the writing and vision informing the show had lost all that was special about early Who and The Avengers and The Prisoner. So when I criticized “Warriors of the Deep” it was not the budget per se, it was that they were not making “Doctor Who”, they were trying to emulate a Roger Moore James Bond movie. But fortunately, at least, without the double entendres.

Re: the kidney stone, I hope your recovery is speedy.

Well, McGoohan’s ‘Danger Man’ (Secret Agent in the US) was a spy series that occasionally featured technological gadgetry (this was just before the James Bond movies went all-out in that direction).   The other thing about DM was that, just sometimes, there would be a plot where the ‘villains’ weren’t really villains at all but innocent civilians – this was a disconcerting twist from our usual goodies-vs-baddies fare.   (And before ‘Callan’ and the like made subverting the Intelligence services fashionable).   But anyway, Danger Man was of course followed by The Prisoner which went full science fiction.   I think the idea of a sort of open prison where nobody was sure who was warders and who was prisoners, and where all the coercion was psychological, was maybe unique in TV at the time.   Very much character-driven with a strong lead actor (No 6) who could impart weight to anything he said.   And of course it benefited from the unique self-contained setting of Portmeirion with its quirky architecture.     And a degree of subtlety and moral ambiguity in that some individuals might be allies or enemies, not always sure which.   And in what other show could someone putting three lumps of sugar in their tea be an act of defiance?

Blakes 7 which came a decade later was in some ways similar – the lead actor (Avon) and the moral ambiguity in particular.   And it shared with Who the famous wobbly sets and the universal quarry landscape.

Avengers was much lighter in tone, closer to Man From Uncle or, in fact, Roger Moore James Bond, I felt.   But I did enjoy watching it.   Early Roger Moore 007’s got just too silly.   (I also watched Get Smart but – I hasten to add – only because of Agent 99 🙂

(Re the kidney stone, they left in place a stent which made things quite painful so I didn’t do much but mope for 3 days.   Took it out as instructed Thursday morning – instant relief!   Trotted happily off to watch Flatline.   99% recovered, thanks)

@dentarthurdent Ah, Danger Man, now that was a great show. I have all of it on dvd and we watch it regularly. Returning to the importance of show runners, it was devised and largely written by Ralph Smart, an Australian film maker, who was part of the intellectual and artistic emigration of Australians to Britain such as Clive James, Robert Hughes and others in the post-war years. Smart made a surprisingly nuanced movie about the dispossession of the Aborigines on the Australian frontier, with Chips Rafferty, called Bitter Springs. Danger Man was also surprisingly nuanced as you allude to.

All of which is a long comment to return to my belief that John Nathan Turner was a hopeless show runner who did his best to ruin Who.

@blenkinsopthebrave   I’m not very familiar with JNT.   I did just read about the Cartmel ‘Master Plan’ (on Tardis.fandom.com) which sounds as if it could have been very much more interesting.   Of course whether it would have worked that way in realisation is one of those things we’ll never know.

I agree about the importance of show runners in setting the direction and flavour of the show.   I’m hoping RTD revives the prestige or spirit (or whatever one calls it) of the show.

Rule1 @rule1

Hello I’ve just recently joined up here and I’m enjoying it a lot. Doctor who has always been my thing and I’m so excited that Russell T Davies is back for the 60th anniversary of Doctor Who! What do i think of this series  “I think it’s gonna be a whopper” as matt once said. I wonder where Russell will take it…

Hi @rule1    You’ll find it pretty quiet when episodes aren’t actually going on, then (judging from existing forums – or should that be ‘fora’) it will explode into activity.    I’m looking forward to seeing RTD back, but I hope he keeps it light (by that I don’t mean trivial like some of OldWho) – I hope he doesn’t go doom-and-gloom like Torchwood eventually went.

Rule1 @rule1

Yeah for us that are here it’s like an empty cinema… Still no Dr who!

I do agree that it shouldn’t be like some of old who, I think I’m going to watch some more of Tom’s doctor soon.

I’ve started saying the lines with Matt Smith’s doctor!

Let me know when you’ve watched zygon invasion ( I’ve just rewatched it to freshan my memory)

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey everyone 🙂 how are you all 🙂

Sofa 11 wow with the amount of sofas we go through we could start a sofa store haha 🙂

I’m gonna put my feet up as some would say and I bet the sofa here is more enjoyable and comfy than our sofas in our new home that are two short and too small for me and Molly and brick like at both ends ha.

I went shopping while typing this so I don’t know what I was planning to say ha

So far I have gone lot of 5th and 4th Doctor and bit 6/7th and I know there were lot of different show runners and styles at the time transitioning to JNT but pretty much all of 5th era I’ve enjoyed so far and I need to re fresh when it swapped from like Hinchcliff episodes to all JNT but I love a lot of 4th Doctor eps as well in addition to loving Tom Baker 🙂 the stories are really good 🙂

I know a lot of the reasons GNT wasn’t popular and what happened ect but at least so far 4th and 5th era is great to me with 6th being more tricky to find eps I can carry on with.

You know we had the guy who wrote Nightmare in Silver his name is totally blank to me whoops – I watch a writing help video that he made and he’s really great ofcourse so I would love James Gunn to run or have some episodes in Doctor Who 🙂 he has done the Guardians of the Galaxy films and everything he creates film wise everyone seems to love and I love too and Guardians is soo sci fi fun adventure in a way would love James to run Doctor Who 🙂 after RTD of course or like Neil Gammon that’s it ha – I had to type Sandman into YouTube not even press search and the name just clicked – association is part of how memory works but I would love James to run the show afterwards or create some episodes while RTD is still in charge 🙂

Take care everyone stay positive hugs 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’m happy to be back even though I was back yesterday I still mean it truly and hope I am not too much of a hassle , I talk too much cause I don’t really have anyone to talk to and so when I have someone or this community for example I over do it with sharing my thoughts ect like I have been with a friend of recent since all my others friends seemed to disappear and here is very isolating and lonely – kinda the reason I am back while trying to avoid Doctor Who don’t trying to find friends and a place to be you know missed this and all your talks and whats going on with you all 🙂 hugs and love 🙂

I was just thinking how I will probs be mid 20’s 25 maybe when re engaging with Who fully and how I just turned 21 few weeks back kinda crazyness how time flies and I started who when I was likely 5 and nearly 20 years well it will likely be 20 years later when I am back and just getting to 20 seemed crazy and was really scary for me but its like my Dad was born around the time of Doctor Who and Who is nearly 60 which means so is he and that’s scary and New Who nearly 20 years going woah time flies – just like being 4/5 my memories kicked in and being 10 was a big step amazing teacher my first love and that’s over 10 years ago now I am over double that in age I even messaged the girl before my Birthday cause felt like the time passing was important and like I said in others pasts were more than half way through the year and close to 60th and I could have easily gone a whole year not being here with you all trying to avoid Who but I ended up avoiding my friends love you all 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Rule1 @rule1

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hello, like dentarthundent said to me there’s not many people on yet as Dr who isn’t on.</p>
    Guardians of the galaxy is ace and hoping to watch the new one soon.

Hope everyone is well

Rule1

Rule1 @rule1

Hi guys, I’ve just gone to Comicon on Saturday. SO many people dressed as Matt’s doc (probably because he was there as I did cosplay him as well).

I even saw Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker and Matt Smith!

It’s so nice to see everybody’s costumes and the work they put into it.

love to know if anybody else went and what they thought of it!

Rule1

winston @winston

@rule1  I have never been to a Comicon but it sounds great. It would be great to see all those costumes and the actors.Maybe someday I’ll make it to one but I am happy you made it.

stay safe

Rule1 @rule1

Thanks it was the first proper comicon I’ve gone to, I hope that you make it to one.

Hope all is well

Rule1

Oochillyo @oochillyo

I’ve been going through my note book these past days , adding to projects , finally adding some colour and tiring out my wrist when going over penciled information over and over for a bolder look on the page haha 🙂

Noticed a Doctor Who little project I was doing and today just was like I’m gonna complete that after maybe 2 years ha 🙂

So Alphabet A-Z and each letter is a Doctor Who episode but I mainly went for the letter has to match the start of the episode name so not A = The Android Invasion I would cut out ‘The’ in this example but for some special episodes I didn’t and honestly once I finally figured out a perfect T episode I could remove soo many ‘The’s’ from the last and lot of the vowels were the issues and ofcourse picking what would be my favs or for special reasons which has left me with about 5 R , C’s to chose from and 2 I’s episodes which I didn’t see coming but that’s the point you never know and push through 🙂

Plus this has been fun way to spend many hours in bed while recovering from like day 3 of being sick so yeah 🙂 here’s my list (in a new post cause I talk soo much haha) yay 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Oochillyo @oochillyo

A – A Christmas Carol / B – Black Orchid / C – Castrovalva / D – Day of The Doctor / E – Extremis / F – Face the Raven / G – Gridlock  / H – Halloween Apocalypse / I – Idiots Lantern / J – Journey to the Centre of the Tardis / K –  Kinda / L – Lodger / M – Macra Terror / N – Nightmare in Silver / O – Oxygen / P – Power of The Doctor (Q) / R – Rings of Akhaten / S – Sun Makers / T – The Five Doctors / U – Unquiet Dead / V – Vincent and The Doctor / W – War Machines (X) (Y) / Z – Zygon Inversion.

What do you all think 🙂

Maybe try your own 🙂

You know this may have been good for me when I was young cause the alphabet always confused me in areas and still today but this was fun 🙂 and working it out in my book which to choose 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Rule1 @rule1

Oochillyo

This is really good 👍

Well done on this that must have been satisfying when you finished it!

Most of my favourite episodes in it, lt me know if you do anything else like that.

Kind regards

Rule1

Oochillyo @oochillyo

hey @rule1 🙂  thank you for your kind message really made me smile 🙂

Its pretty interesting you find soo many episodes you enjoy in different ways when you do something like this and working out with yourself what you like more and why it can be a challenge but fun to re fresh why you love those things and the whole process is fun 🙂

I’ve been avoiding Doctor Who things in addition to Pokemon things cause waiting for the next step to be out to avoid spoilers and have a fresh experience but today with this little project and going back to sharing my fav Pokemon with a friend yesterday and now I am listening to reviews of the games its nice to be back with the things I love 🙂

I dont really know what’s next for a project you’ll enjoy I had a few before but trying to think what would be good ha

Maybe something like how the show has changed from re designs ect especially the Cybermen haha there’s always upgrading as we update them 🙂

Was nice to feel like woah there’s a lot of episodes and remember the ones I liked after trying to forget all when detaching from Who at this moment in time ha time , same with Pokemon but you know if I avoid spoilers maybe I can live in the past happiness and I think I’ve said this nearly word for word before haha maybe a time loop 🙂

Pretty happy 🙂

Take care everyone 🙂 stay positive hugs 🙂

Regards – Declan Sargent

Was just reading about RTD saying he is more than happy to leave Chibnall’s “timeless child” re-working of the Who universe intact. Not sure if this meant he would not actively rewrite it, or simply not engage with it. I always felt the wholesale re-writing of the Who universe with the “timeless child” was wrong-headed. But if RTD simply fails to mention it, that seems like a sensible approach (although, leaving Chibnall’s vision as is means, presumably, accepting that there are no more Time Lords around, which would be a real pity. Still, if the Toymaker can come back, who knows?

What I thought was more amusing was RTD’s refusal to accept the admittedly silly notion that the Doctor in the 1996 TV movie had a human mother.

ps1l0v3y0u @ps1l0v3y0u

Yes! This seems like a much better venue.

OK. Cut to the chase… The Timeless Child was horrific, and not in a dramatic way, but is it really enough just to put it down to Chibnall not being up to it? His skill set certainly didn’t help matters but I’m not totally down on the episodes he wrote before he was the show runner. They’re not remarkable but also NOT embarrassing.

The question is what was he trying to do at that point and why? This is a difficult one for me because I really don’t like engaging with that story. Was it simply a device to kill off the pesky Time Lords… again? Was it just is designed to dismiss a dubious quote from a tv movie at the flaky edge of canon?

You need to look at who is spouting the universe-altering exposition of The Timeless Child. The Master is mad enough to need a 10/6’ hat, and he’s even less likely than The Doctor to first destroy a cherry tree and then emulate George Washington. I think Russell can probably lay that plot aside and forget about it.

The Doctor’s mother however… aside from speculating on what’s going on in season 9, and why, The Girl Who Died plays some very curious cards. There are Twelve and Clara, trudging into the Viking village, and Clara immediately sees that Twelve recognises Ashildr.

“Too much time travel. It happens…<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>(premonition) it’s just remembering in the wrong direction.”

Well, we learn later that Ashildr becomes immortal. And in the next episode she’s become a bit bitter at the Doctor. They must have had a run-in some time… in the future.

Which brings us to Twelve talking baby. Curious that this should crop up again. Especially in relation to electric eels! This is not the strongest Moffat/Mathieson plot device. But strictly speaking the baby talk was Eleven in A Good Man… and then Closing Time. Both instances are well before Clara (though she’s been all over The Doctor’s time stream) but Twelve will have shown off, and it’s just as well Clara can explain because most of that scene really does sound like The Doctor’s paean to… who exactly?

Is Russell’s dismissal of Time Lord/human mixed heritage a problem if Ashildr is in fact a Mire hybrid? Never mind Twelve inheriting his face from The Fires of Pompei, wouldn’t he HAVE to help defeat the Mire, then resurrect Ashildr, if he wanted to avoid disappearing in a paradox?

The Woman Who Lived doesn’t do anything more than provide a few hints of where the narrative might go/have gone. Three cradles. Three young plague victims. Three is a significant number. The Cartmel plan was built about a legend of three wasn’t it? How interesting that in all Me’s volumes, Twelve should find THAT episode? Almost as if he was looking for it… and yeah, the kids are dead but then The Doctor knew all about Gangers in The Rebel Flesh didn’t he?

And Ashildr doesn’t like her original name but why choose THAT name? However it’s spelt. Knightmare. Nightmare.

Who then might be The (K)nightmare Child?

As there many on the board these days who automatically look at Forums on the left hand side of the main page for new posts, I thought I would point out a new post (by me, sorry!) under Recent Blog Comments on the right hand side of the main page. It is a reflection on Pertwee’s Doctor, and so will not be of interest to many, but I thought I would point out the different ways of navigating the site as there are many new faces the days, as we excitedly (nervously?) wait for the upcoming specials.

Doctor lou @thedoctor234

I Remember when I was driving the TARDIS, Then I accidentally landed on a unknown planet, which the planet turned out to be the cybermens hide out. I immediately flip the time rottle switch. I was near to losing my life !

(If your wondering what game was it, it’s called “Garry’s mod”. It’s a game were you can modify it to your own style of playing)

Doctor lou @thedoctor234

and if anyone doesn’t want to play, you can hear my adventures I went through. I have tons of stories.

(They all happened to me in the game.)

Like when I stopped the daleks from ending humanity

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.