On The Sofa (10)

Home Forums On The Sofa (10)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Sorfty 1 day, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

This is a place to congregate, somewhere to “hang out”. It’s a topic for general chat about anything you want, and a place for new members to pop in and say “hello” without worrying about making any real contribution (we know that your first post can sometimes feel daunting). We’d love to hear from you all. We’re very friendly.

Conversations on the previous ‘sofa’ can be found here.

Two Whos talking Who (don’t know what event)…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I’d like to apologize to all members for my absence. Dysfunctional kidneys seems a poor response, but there you go. I hope to touch on why I think Chibnallls first series is small “c” conservative, Dracula is brilliant, and why Worzel Gummidge could be the saviour of humankind;-) in forthcoming posts. I’m catching up!

winston @winston

Nice new sofa!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@phaseshift

Sorry to hear that. Disobedient kidneys can be a Bad Thing, so I hope it’s now under control. Lovely to see you back

So far I’m up to two-thirds of episode 1 of Dracula and it seems very good. However, I also had a gift of Season One of Star Trek: Discovery, so after months of no telly at all, I’m suddenly in the position of trying to find time to watch everything.

Mudlark @mudlark

@phaseshift

Good to see you back again, and commiserations over the dysfunctional kidneys – quite enough to make life miserable, I know, and to explain your absence from the Forum. I hope that your reappearance means that they are now working as they should or are at least under control, and that you are feeling better.

Yes, Dracula is brilliant. That together with the first episode of the new Doctor Who series constituted a very rich diet for the first day of a new year, but worth any indigestion.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip @mudlark

Thanks for the well wishes. Not there quite yet, health-wise but an end is at least in sight.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on Dracula, there is a small discussion on the TV thread which I’m going to contribute to at the weekend. I’d also be interested to hear what you think of Star Trek Disco @bluesqueakpip. I’ve seen both series, so no spoilers. 😉

Rob @rob

Wanders in as if I’ve never been absent

Looks for personalised Dr Who coffee mug behind sofa

Wanders out muttering

Waves at all 😃

Vervain @vervain

Hello – I’m Sal, I live in London am 37 at time of writing and I’ve been watching since the mid 90’s – furtively exchanging vhs’s at school.

winston @winston

@vervain   Hello to you too!  Welcome to the site and to the sofa, it has a comfy new couch. I live in Ontario, Canada and I am fairly new to Who. I started watching in 2005 with the 9th Doctor but I had seen a few BG episodes growing up and I have tried to watch as many as I can. It is nice here with a lot of nice folks so I hope you like it.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

Hello fellow Whovians!

Waves awkwardly at nobody because there is nobody here. 🙂

My earliest Doctor Who memories are watching in the early 1980s with my “cool” uncle. The same uncle that introduced me to the writings of Douglas Adams when I was young. Thank you uncle Rodney!

So for me, it all started with that crazy Tom Baker and his amazing scarf that seemed like it was infinite just like Doctor Who.

Being so young, I’m not sure what I enjoyed about the show other than the fact that it was shown on our PBS station very late at night. Which is our publicly funded network here in the States. Publicly funded for now, don’t get me started on the politicians who are always trying to cut funding for this because of the so-called “Left” leanings of PBS.

Also…..K-9. Where can I get a robotic dog like that?

If anybody has any questions for me, like “Who left the door open?” or “Why does my nose itch?”….send me a note or put it here and I’ll answer them to the best of my ability.

Harrykeogh @harrykeogh

Hi Whovians,

My ‘ Doctor’ is Jon Pertwee – I recall Patrick vaguely, but my memories are limited and tainted by watching him later on!

Loving Jodie, but have to admit to struggling with Chibnall’s dialogue/constant explanations through the Doctor, of the plot lines and episode ‘messages’.

HK

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@harrykeogh

@thane16

@whisht

Third Doctor

Colony in Space – Quick Summery

Ruthless mining company (In space!) uses fake monster attacks to drive away colonists so they can richer faster. Oh yeah, the Master wants a Doomsday weapon (Who doesn’t?).

You’re right, no message there about corporate greed or using fear to achieve your goals……carry on.  🙂

Harrykeogh @harrykeogh

Firstly, check your spelling.

Secondly, you are missing the point entirely – no issue or argument that Dr Who has been used to spread messages. What is different about Chibnall is his insistence of a close up on the Doctor at the end of each episode as she explains the message in words of one syllable virtually direct to camera……jog on.

Peace Frog @peacefrog

@harrykeogh

Sorry, I was on my phone.

So, you’re not opposed to messages just the style of delivery? I can’t argue with that, I preferred Moffat’s style myself.

I’m blaming any typos this time on my fat cat.  🙂

Sorfty @sorfty

Hello, I’m a new member. Anyone who wants to have a look at my blog can look here https://matthewsorflatenwriter.wordpress.com/spyfall-part-1-review/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.