On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    WhoHar @whohar

@shazzbot

just read that link you sent and found myself almost replying 🙁 It is extraordinarily personal writing and I feel priveleged to have read it.

Anonymous @

@whohar – forget ‘worthy’!  I’ve been re-reading the messages I got post-wake from his friend and re-watched the Proclaimers’ Cast & Crew Special video, ** and I definitely want to stop wallowing in grief now.

** (HTPBDET and I always laughed at Malcolm and Wayne, the drivers … they are so deliciously dry.)

@htpbdet got to plan his own wake, with the music and singers he wanted; his family and friends got to hear the outpouring of emotion from everyone here on this site; he got to see his son get married; he died with his family around him.  None of us could ask for a better send-off.

We should continue our bonkers theorising, and our unashamed adoration of the show he too loved so much.  But as @whisht said, our community here isn’t really about a particular TV show – it’s about our community.  And keeping up our special, congenial, respectful, erudite and delightfully weird corner of t’interwebs is the best tribute we could possibly make to that remarkable man.

Now, off to the 50th thread to see if I have anything insanely bonkers to say there …

WhoHar @whohar

@pedant

How Northist! BtW it’s either Up (oop) North or – less commonly – th’North. If your going to use t’internet (TM) at least make sure your phrasing is not out of kilter.

Mumble mumble… skirt twirling southern jessie. moan moan…

WhoHar @whohar

@shazzbot

You do yourself a disservice but you’re absolutely right. So in keeping with that sentiment.

And keeping up our special, congenial, respectful, erudite and delightfully weird corner of t’interwebs is the best tribute we could possibly make to that remarkable man.

Pull yourself together woman and get back to the bonkers theories! 🙂

Anonymous @

Ha ha @whohar

WhoHar @whohar

@shazzbot

Ha! They say a picture is worth a thousand words – guess I’ve been told to f ‘ off 500 times then (wouldn’t be the first time)

Excellent.

WhoHar @whohar

@shazzbot

I love that you edited my original post so that it made sense and then gave me the V’s.

@whohar

That depends entirely on which part of the t’north you refer to. Bear in mind that, to me, anything above Luton on a map is t’north, and Harpenden only just qualifies as the Midlands

My Mac’s UK language spill chucker has no objection at all to t’north. I take that to be definitive.

Anonymous @

@whohar – my nails have never looked better.  😆

Just showing off my manicure, you understand … 😀

Anonymous @

@pedant – I just did a play last week with my local am-dram society.  It was a new play, written by one of our own people, and was firmly rooted in Yorkshire.

There actually was this exact line in the play (set partially in an allotment):

Let’s go up to t’ top o’ t’plot …

WhoHar @whohar

@pedant

Luton! Bloomin’ eckerslike!

Have you seen the Red Dwarf ep where Kryton is in need of repair? He’s damaged, so they give him Northern (Yorkshire / Lancashire, can’t remember which) accent.  Now that is Northist.

Then again, lots of planets have a North (it’s the best bit too- that was cut out of the original script)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

I just got a phone-call from the OU- I won a prize for the first module I did!

Anonymous @
    Anonymous @

@miapatrick – huzzah!  and Wha-hey!  Congrats to you.

What was your prize?  And what was the module?

Anonymous @

@whohar – re your comment 19692

just read that link you sent and found myself almost replying

Why not reply?  Anything @ ‘d to HTPBDET will still reach his family and we know they’re still monitoring this site.  If you have thoughts to express please do so.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 38 seeks your scary sentences…

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot- one of the general arts introductory modules- it was a bad line, and a long time before I understood anything of what she was saying.

I got: a £75 book token, a certificate, a heavy dose of smugness and to have a bottle of wine this evening to celebrate. I maintain that is what she told me, I took it that all four were mandatory… 🙂

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick – well done you! The best I ever managed – on my data retrieval course – was a nice letter-and-certificate.

The book token should come in handy. 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Miapatrick @miapatrick

@wolfweed- I shall never admit to LOLing.

But that made me grin and giggle at the same time. A lovely feeling. So have a GAG.

No, that’s terrible. Forget I said that.

But thank you!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Bluesqueakpip- Thank you. The certificates really matter most. Guilt-free book buying, however, is not to be sneezed at. 😉

WhoHar @whohar

Excellent work @miapatrick. Enjoy.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Now that’s a carrier bag…
    z

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

So, in the interests of research, I went to The Dean Swift for lunch with a couple of friends.

Good choice, @shazzbot. At least, if it’s as nice Friday evenings as it was Friday lunchtimes. Friendly staff, good range of beer. I had a very decent cider (because of the coeliac thing). I can see why they’d want a largish party to book – the dining room upstairs is relatively small and if we end up with a large party we’ll probably take it over.

We had the (tasty) cooked bar snacks rather than a full lunch. The lunches other people were having looked good, though. The one minor caveat was that the tea and coffee weren’t anything to write home about – but really, do you judge a pub by its coffee?

Verdict: very favourable. Definitely went on all our lists of places to eat/have a drink when near Tower Bridge/London Bridge. 🙂

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – Oh, thank you so much for ‘scouting’ the location for our drinks party!  And I’m utterly relieved that it passed muster.

@ Everyone else – see, you simply cannot miss coming with us on Friday night 22nd November to The Dean Swift.

Please PM me or @ me by name in a reply here On The Sofa if you want to come, so I can ensure the numbers are correct and, as @bluesqueakpip says, potentially we can commandeer their entire dining room for a ‘private party’.

If the sad events of this past week proved nothing else, it’s that we have the most remarkable internet community ever.  And the meet-up should be a celebration of everyone here who makes this community what it is.

Whisht @whisht

he he – I’ve just had a wonderful image for the 22nd. (indulge me).

I can imagine a number of people here in The Dean all chatting and swapping stories, but a few score outside ‘lurking’ and listening through the open windows.

Every few minutes some of the people inside will be imploring the people outside through the open doors and windows:

“Please come in – we’d love you to join in the conversation”

“ah no, [mumble] I’m ok”

“oh please, look we’d really love for you to join in the craic. We’ve got beer…”

“ah no, honest, I’m not that ‘core’, I’d rather just listen”

“Oh please come in – look, you’ve got celery in your lapel, you’re bound to have a bonkers theory”

“nahh, not me, I don’t really watch it that much but… nah, but I just liked Tenant and Matt and y’know… I was kinda fond of it as a kid and kinda just enjoy listening to you guys”

“aw, come on, come in. Look, which was your Doctor?”

“Huh? ah, well, Baker. And y’know, I always thought Leela would come back after she was found to be the one the Doctor took the rap for”

“huh?”

“Well, she was a warrior and on Gallifrey, so she’s more likely to have condemned everyone to death to defeat the Daleks, but the Doctor wouldn’t want her harmed so said it was his decision and took the blame and ran away, with the Hurt Dr being her son.
    But, y’know, it was just a little theory I had…”

[gasp]

” COME INNNNN – fertheluvofgod come in – that’s bonkers!

“Really? Would you let me..?”

LET YOU??? ffs – come in!!!!!”

:¬)

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

@whisht

Definitely BONKERS!!!!!!!!!! (or should that be blinkers?)

Anonymous @

@whisht – I was expecting you to come up with something funny, and affecting … but that bonkers idea you slid into the mix was utterly fantastic!

Hat-tip to you.

http://media.photobucket.com/user/mccjenn/media/zander/3ef5.jpg.html?filters%5Bterm%5D=tip%20of%20hat&filters%5Bprimary%5D=images&sort=1&o=119

wolfweed @wolfweed

Currently cashing in on #savetheday

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@whisht – both a delightfully bonkers theory and a wonderful delivery of said.

I will be peering in on the 22nd, sadly Mrs Hatter has been trying and failing to get out of work so we can make a weekend of it, but instead we’re having to make a mad dash for the south on saturday night when she finishes – and trying to get to our hotel in time for the anniversary, something that would be a damn sight easier to plan if we had a confirmed broadcast time (I’m assuming 7:30 but everything seems very vague at the moment.)

janetteB @janetteb

@whisht that was a wonderful bonkers theory.  I do wish London wasn’t so faaaar away.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Hey @bluesqueakpip @phaseshift @jimthefish @scaryb @steve-thorp @nick

and @ Everyone – there’s a Guardian thread in sore need of this Forum’s members:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/nov/02/doctor-who-simon-winder-50-anniversary

It starts off like this:

With its shoddy sets and echoes of the British empire, early Doctor Who does not stand up well to the rigours of time travel.

… and contains this line:

a strong case could be made that perhaps for the last 12 years of the original run (roughly from the introduction of the plastic, laser-gun-wielding robot dog K-9 onwards) the series became just too hopeless to count.

These statements must not go unaddressed!

PS:  And the writer also hates Rory:  apparently he ‘effectively ruined three series’

janetteB @janetteb

I will go over there straight away. The first few points are outrageous enough,.  I loved K.9 when I was 18 and I can’t stay silent while he is rubbished but to bag Rory, that is going way, way too far..

Thanks for the heads up @Shazzbot.

Cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

Have commented though we are supposed to be getting dinner so may not be as coherent or relevant as it could be. (I had to scan the article. Will re-read later over coffee.)

Cheers

Janette

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

Isn’t it interesting that the Guardian’s web site gives this incoherent twaddle prominence on its web page, but only after you open that article do see a link to this much-better article by Terry Pratchett?

Anonymous @

@steve-thorp – two words:  ‘Click bait’.  The Guardian lives for getting page views over quality.  Can’t blame them personally, really – that’s what their advertisers want.

On the topic of page views = advertising income though — I simply have never understood that economic model.  I thought advertisers had things / services to sell, so they paid for ads which would cause their things / services to be bought.

How is it possible that advertisers are willing to pay just because a web page was viewed – without even the ads needing to be clicked on, much less any product or services sold?

WhoHar @whohar

Thanks for the link @shazzbot; already commented and was quite restrained for me. The same can’t be said for @pedant though – his comment made me chuckle. @janetteb – very articulate, especially given you were in a hurry.

WhoHar @whohar

@steve-thorp @shazzbot

One word actually: Wankery.

The G is turning into an advertisers whore.

(OK, so that’s more than one word)

Anonymous @

@whohar – yeah, I saw your comment and those of @janetteb (well said, Miss B) and @pedant (and yep, Pedant’s was pithy and to the point  🙂  ).

@htpbdet could have demolished that guy.  I was thinking of finding one of his old G comments and re-posting it, but decided that author simply wasn’t worthy of reading H’s thoughts.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@shazzbot @steve-thorp

Honestly, I looked at that Winder article and just did a mental shrug. So pseuds corner it defies belief. I couldn’t even summon up the energy to take the piss.

The Pratchett article is interesting, and because the article doesn’t really explain its source, I will. When this site first launched in January I highlighted a book I’d got for Christmas, Behind the Sofa – Celebrity memories of Doctor Who. It was sourced by crowdfunding and I thought was rather special. It indirectly led to @jimthefish suggesting our own Doctor Who Memories thread.

A new and expanded version of the book has been released for the 50th by Gollancz, with this piece by Terry Pratchett one of the additions. As with the first release, all the royalties go to Alzheimer’s research. A great stocking filler for the Who nerd of your dreams.

http://www.guardianbookshop.co.uk/BerteShopWeb/viewProduct.do?ISBN=9780575129450

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

Re Advertisers on the Graun site (and others) – they are charged per page view and additional for clicks. G ad sales team will present stats to show no of page-views when chasing ad sales.

Thanks for posting the link – response has been remarkably pro-DW  on the whole (only 1 “it’s a kids show” so far 😉 (and great responses form @whohar, @janetteb and @pedant in full flow)

@steve-thorp The Terry Pratchet one is hugely better written for a start, and very poignant in its last sentence.

Anonymous @

Hiya @scaryb – my question about the advertising revenue based on page views was more of a ‘hunh, I don’t understand how that could possible work as a solid economic model.’

Companies with products / services for sale are raising the prices of those products / services to accommodate an advertising budget which doesn’t actually cause their products / services to be sold any better or more.   Basically, we’re all paying more for those widgets ourselves, just so a newspaper can be paid based on how many ‘page views’ they have – not how many more widgets are being sold.  It just sounds silly to me.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift et al — I’m so glad I’m not the only one that thought the Winder article a load of pretentious arsery. Proustian interpretation of classic Who. Er, think I’ll pass thanks. Haven’t read the celeb memories one yet but have been dropping heavy hints for me birthday so hopefully will be reading it soon….

Anonymous @

Hello again @mini-htpbdets!  Aren’t you supposed to be on holiday?  Get yer nose outta the iPad and enjoy your hols  😀

No, seriously, good to see you’re still checking in with us.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish – you’re heavily implying that you have a birthday coming up … I smell a lotta drinks being bought for you at the Dean Swift evening out …

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ All. This week’s episode up for discussion in our Steven Moffat retrospective is The Bells of Saint John.

And in our BG episodes discussion we’re discussing the final episode of Tomb of The Cybermen.

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot – re Ads – I didn’t say it wasn’t annoying.  But if it didn’t work they (both sides) wouldn’t do it.  Works on same basis as big billboards – advertisers don’t expect potential cutomers to click on the billboards, but it increases widget awareness.  But they need to know that billboard’s on a busy corner, not stuck behind an old police box at the back of Totter’s lane, haha.

But it shouldn’t be an excuse for publishing crap writing.

@Shazzbot @scaryb

This pretty much says it all (it’s not the model, it’s the implementation): http://xkcd.com/1283/

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant

haha, love it.

But my main point is that it’s no excuse for publishing shoddy articles with shaky reasoning

I do get so tired of second rate media studies(1) students seeing everything through the lens of imperialism, when the real lens of of the island that stood, stopped and turned the tide of evil.

(1) Yes, I realised the implies the concept of the first-rate media studies student. Everyone has a lens. Mine is finishing a 90 min French CSE paper in 29 mins and sitting there for an hour wondering what I had done wrong (Dual-entering French when I should have done maths, it turned out. I have two French O Levels or equivalent!  CSEs were easy, but maths exams kill me.)

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.