On The Sofa (6)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (6)

This topic contains 1,013 replies, has 103 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,014 total)
  • Author

@lividliquid

*Chuckles guiltily*

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all, I’m a bit behind again this week, but was just wondering if there were any nominations for a Patrick Troughton story. We’ve done most of his complete stories in the past so it’s starting to get a bit tough (although it might be nice to comment on reconstructions). Here are a few suggestions from me – feel free to add any more:

The Ice Warriors – 5 episodes (2 reconstructed)
    The first appearance of, yes, the Ice Warriors

Web of Fear – 6 episodes (1 reconstructed)
    Recently found and restored. The return of the Yeti and the Great Intelligence. Marks the first appearance of Colonel Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart.

The Invasion – 8 episodes (2 reconstructed)
    I won’t say too much because it might spoil it, but it’s a fan favourite and features the first appearance of UNIT.

janetteB @janetteb

I would be happy with any of the above but will cast my vote for The Invasion simply for the first appearance of UNIT and because I do need some added incentive to watch reconstructions. Web of Fear would be second choice and it has both Jamie and Victoria which is an excellent companion combination. (Don’t know who the second companion in The Invasion is but all the Troughton companions were good from what little I have seen anyway.)

While on the topic are we also going to do the Peter Capaldi retrospective?

Cheers

Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I would go for Web of Fear myself, but I do have a suggestion.

In memory of the late and sadly missed @htpbdet, could we watch The Enemy of The World? That was where his avatar came from.

I remember, when we were all excited about the rediscovery, that he said Enemy of the World should preferably be seen before Web of Fear.

janetteB @janetteb

I would be happy to do that.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

I second -or 3rd that –

Thank you, puro

janetteB @janetteb

Enemy of the World is also the only Dr Who story set in part in Australia, (though very evidently not filmed here.)

If we do watch it I will raise a glass to @htpbdet when I watch. A lovely idea @bluesqueakpip to honour our old friend.

Cheers

Janette

AmberPearl @amberpearl

hi im new here, am i posting in the right place for a starting or introduction post? i hope so. well i found this site when lookingfor a place to meet other whovians and discuss the show and possible theories for things. which i am wondering, where do i post a theory i have? its pretty long should i just make a blog post or is there place i can post a thread? i want to know what other people think of it, its a pretty crazy theory but it seems to make sense to me.

either way i look forward to meeting you all 🙂

Anonymous @

@amberpearl  welcome.  if you have a theory post it on the thread associated with the theory?  If it’s do with Clara or the new Doctor, you can do this on that particular thread.

Have at it…:)

Regards, purofilion

Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

Enemy of the world sounds interesting, and apt. All for it

Hello @amberpearl. Go for it

AmberPearl @amberpearl

thanks, my theory has to do with the Doctor’s name, but since one of the biggest clues i found is in the William Hartnell era i guess i will post there.

its probably a crazy theory but hey i might as well post it, curious about what others will think of it.

edit: i went there. most of the threads are for particular episodes, can i start a new thread for my particular topic there or should i choose one of the existing threads?

Not really into these retro-fests, but if I was then Enemy of the Word would be a fascinating one to do for all sorts of reasons.

But, having watched Web of Fear for the first time since I was seven, after its re-discovery, I was delighted to see that it was every bit as scary as I remember.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig – I’ll happily go with @janetteb @bluesqueakpip @barbaralefty @Purofilion re Enemy.  In honour of @htpbdet is a lovely thought.  Shame Troughton’s intro story Power of the Daleks is missing, it was a belter!  But better to go with the cleaned up refreshed EotW than a recon. When do we start…??

(@Pedant – You’re just a curmudgeon 😉 )

@amberpearl Welcome, and theorise away, it’s what the site’s for.  Maybe put it on the Faces of the Doctor thread.  (For info, only the mods can start threads/blogs). I will be very intrigued if there was anything as specific as a name clue in the original Hartnell series (they hadn’t even invented regeneration never mind Time Lords at that point!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@brewski

We’ve also had the Doctor working with exactly himself in Almost People (as flesh ganger Matt); and 10 had a bash at it in Series 4’s Journey’s End where his half-human clone/regeneration destroys the Daleks and is then berated by the original before being relegated to Rose’s universe.

ScaryB @scaryb

A late night game for the insomniacs/anitpodean early birds: Which Doctor Are You?

http://www.playbuzz.com/ilanab10/doctor-who-are-you-which-incarnation-are-you

(I’m happy with 4  🙂 )

janetteB @janetteb

I ended up with Five. Now that is a first. (Just as long as I am not stuck with his companions, or choice of attire.)

Cheers

Janette

@scaryb

You’re just a curmudgeon ;-) )

Guilty as charged, but in this case it really is just a personal preference thing.

Which Doctor Are You?

Hartnell. Who else?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Ha ha – someone at the Radio Times has been surfing the more curmudgeonly corners of the Who inter-webs and come up with top things that annoy (a certain kind of) Who fan. I fear they have been reading the comments section under @danmartin ‘s blog.

There are actually a whole lot of other things which annoy Who fans in different spaces. The “things that annoy Tumblr Who fans” would be quite different and in fact probably be headlined by “Moffat”.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-19/the-top-15-things-that-annoy-doctor-who-fans

Thank Gallifrey we know there are also a squillion things Dr Who fans love…

Anonymous @

@juniperfish thank you the Link. I quite enjoyed it and left a comment -I should never do that. Probably, as I was fair, mild and calm, the inannet will only yell at me!

Regards, puro.

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant

Hartnell. Who else?

Hmmm… yes m’boy, quite right, quite right

😉

@juniperfish

Must be that “post new year and on-one’s reading our site – oh hey! let’s put a Dr Who article up” time of year!  OTOH you gotta love a Dalek in a trilby 😀

lisa @lisa
    janetteB @janetteb

Thank-you @lisa We are currently celebrating the occasion by watching Image of the Fendhal. (Also not accompanied by Jelly babies.)

Cheers

Janette

AGirlCalledKill @agirlcalledkill

Hello.  I’m new here and a fellow Whovian.  I’m active on a few general forums and even admin one so I was thinking tonight and came to the conclusion that it’s crazy that I’m not a member on a Doctor Who forum when I love both so much haha.

Anyway, hi.  Nice to meet you all.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hi @agirlcalledkill Welcome to our merry space! We hang out here to share jelly babies, jammy dodgers, fish fingers and custard and the like.

Then there are, as you can see, any number of other spaces, from the DJ box (the music thread) to episode discussions. Right now some of our comrades are doing an entire Buffy re-watch, plus there’s a fan creativity space for sharing fan art/ pictures of knitted daleks etc 🙂 Dive in!

Anonymous @

@Juniperthefish @jimthefish I haven’t watched any Buffy at all since RL started full-on yesterday. I love meetings. I love being condescended to so openly…in meetings.

Grr. Puro

SaberConcepts @saberconcepts

I just had a partial knee replacement last week and now that I will be out of work for a while I think it is time for a Doctor Who marathon.  I have seen some of the old episodes but not many.  Any suggestions of where to start?

Anonymous @

@saberconcepts “Pay attention. Start at the very beginning.”  OK.  So, not a great quote. But still, An Unearthly Child can be purchased in a box set with a few other key episodes which may include Edge of Destruction.

So “wading in.” Enjoy! and welcome. I hope you’re not in too much pain?

@saberconcepts – yes The Beginning box set is a good place to start, providing you remember that The Tribe of Gum was broadcast on the grounds that it was the only script they had ready. 🙂 The first story that really captured the public imagination was The One With The Daleks.

While it’s not technically an old episode, the drama-doc An Adventure In Space and Time will tell you quite a lot about the Lambert/Hartnell period.

Otherwise – if you go along to our forums listings, and check out each Doctor, you’ll see the stories we voted to rewatch. Those are also a good place to start for each Doctor.

Barbara Lefty @barbaralefty

OK. So maybe jumping the gun here but I’ve snaffled my Love film/Amazon/Whatever it is this week DVDs by post ™ settings so hopefully I will be guaranteed to get  Enemy of the World next. Tumteetum. Anyway, pleasantly surprised by their range; have had all the classics I’ve looked for. I now realise that I could have bought the set for the same price as my subscription, although then the parallel AG (Tennant from the start, didn’t have Eccleston) watch would grind to a halt and we’re on the clock here.

ScaryB @scaryb

And we’ve got as new serial to watch

🙂

Looking forward to Enemy of the World – thanks for posting 🙂

BothEyesShut @botheyesshut

Hi Whovian sofa!

Posting here because I’m comfy here and because I thought this deserved the attention of a more intimate audience.

I just learned that Peter Capaldi sang and played guitar  in an excellent punk band for which Craig Ferguson played drums. You guys all know that already, I’m sure, but for me this is just fricking excellent!

Anonymous @

I must thank those who encouraged me to watch Brian Cox in his journey through space and time: the fourth part was epic! He simplifies things without condescension and yet allows the brilliance of the human intellectual mind to shine. He still loves to be amazed.

I’ll have to watch it all again -this time, on DVD!

lisa @lisa

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/features/lists/15-actors-whove-appeared-in-doctor-who-as-different-characters

I bet some of you knew all of these double-headers but a few were real surprises to me! I didn’t know
    about Clara’s grannie or Mr. Hopper plus 4 others. I sometimes get hungry for news about the filming of
    the next series so then I go poking around for little ‘jelly baby crumbs’ now and then. This site
    usually has nice fun niblettes.

janetteB @janetteb

@Nice little “jelly baby crumb”. Thank you @lisa. There were a few there I didn’t know about either. It is such a looooong wait isn’t it and we still have months to go.

Cheers

Janette

ichabod @ichabod
    ichabod @ichabod

@lisa  — Wow, Geoffrey Palmer from *way* back — everybody’s seen him with his growly old cheek-flappy face in “As Time Goes By”, right, with Judy Dench?  Others are familiar, but that one really jumped out at me.

ScaryB @scaryb

Timetravelling (without a TARDIS) for a Saturday morning, and especially  for Hartnell fans – historic Desert Island Discs from Aug 1965 (Pre Radio 1, 2, 3, 4 etc, when BBC Radio was “the Home Service”) with William Hartnell

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009y3yj?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_radio_4&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music

ScaryB @scaryb

@lisa Thanks for your list of Dr Who doppelganger characters (actors who have appeared as different characters at various times). Knew about most of them (mainly thanks to very observant/knowledgable people on these boards 🙂 ) but I’d missed the lovely Chipo Chung as Chantho/Turn Left’s fortune teller and Adjoa Andly’s double turn as Sister Jatt/Martha’s mum. I’d also forgotten about Mark Gatiss’s heavily disguised turn as Gantok.  Wonder if he and Matt did “chin” jokes on set – that’s some prosthetic! 🙂

Pauline Collins in the Faceless Ones was great – one of my long time faves.

@ichabod Ah yes, Geoffrey Palmer didn’t always have such a “lived in and put upon” face 😉

There are several they’ve missed – and probably a lot more – recently there was Janet Henfrey –  the Mummy’s first victim (series 8) was also Miss Hardaker in Curse of Fenric (which was a recent communal view in here). Our current viewing is Enemy of the World, in which Security Chief Donald Bruce is played by Colin Douglas, who, 10 years later, would be first Rutan victim Reuben in the Horror of Fang Rock.

@botheyesshut  Thanks for rooting out the Dreamboys, great to hear it… they sound far too nice to be a proper punk band!

ichabod @ichabod

@scaryb — Well, everybody who’s worked with Peter Capaldi and commented about it where I could find their comment uses some form of the phrase “a sweet, kind, gentlemanly guy”, so I don’t think he ever really had much of a chance as a Punk Rocker.  Luckily for us, he made the right career choice . . . !

ScaryB @scaryb

This is a nice wee article from the Radio Times – latest attempt to get Dr who views while the show’s off air 😉 – about what’s your favourite TARDIS design.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-11/the-best-and-worst-doctor-who-tardis-designs-of-all-time

Though I disagree with them on their top 3 🙂

I’d  have to put Hartnell’s as #1 – it was the original and all the others are pretty closely based on its essentials – hexagonal console with central time rotor, the roundels (the roundels!!!) feature in all of them to a greater or lesser degree, even when only as a hint in a design motif, as in AG’s more organic style. And it was my first. So there!

I’m really torn in making a decision about the latest design and 9/10’s. I’m edging towards Capaldi’s as #2 partly because it reminds me the most of Hartnell’s and partly for the sheer craftsmanship of it as a set; it’s an incredibly beautiful, and functional design, and the fact that it’s 360 deg, completley enclosed. (And also the fact I’ve been on/in it 🙂 (If you’re ever in Cardiff and get the chance to do a TARDIS tour, GO!  (Through the Dr Who Experience which is also worth every penny and then some))) It is hugely detailed in its design, and 12’s addition of books and blackboards adds a warmth and more lived-in feel, compared to when it was 11’s

#3 is then 9/10’s but only edged out by a whisker. It was breathtaking in how radical a rethink it was, in making it have such an organic, warm feel. 11’s early one is close behind, love the orange and tangerine.

#5 is 4’s secondary console. I love steampunk 🙂

#6 is probably the movie version of 8’s. I like the steampunk/meccano look of console surround, but contrary wise the rest of the console room seems too big and spacious. I know, that doesn’t make sense,the TARDIS is capable of being any size she wants!

#7 for me is Hurt Doctor’s, a nice mid-stage between movie 8’s and Eccleston’s.

And the rest fall in a random order of OK cos it’s the TARDIS but not much of a muchness 🙂 Kudos to the AG design teams who weren’t afraid to do a radical rethink while keeping the core identity, and for all the detail that’s gone into all the console panels and buttons and knobs.

Or maybe I’ll just put Idris as #1  Now THAT was a radical redesign!!

So. What does everyone else think?

ScaryB @scaryb

@ichabod

Luckily for us, he made the right career choice . . . !

😀

@scaryb

12′s addition of books and blackboards adds a warmth and more lived-in feel, compared to when it was 11′s

Agreed. It always felt like the Smith Doctor actually lived in the pit beneath the console. I think they added a desk in a cubbyhole at one point.

But the books, blackboard and leather reading chair make it very clear that the Capaldi Doctor pretty well lives in the console room.

I did and do like the Smith Doctor’s first console. It was downright weird, but fit both his Doctor and the idea that the TARDIS was a long, long way from home. She had to repair herself with whatever she could find. 😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip I find it very difficult to separate any of the AG console room designs, I really like them all. Haha yes, re Smithy living underneath the console.  Re the current one – shame they can’t have vertical movement on the time rotor as well as the wheels going round at the top. But apparently that was beyond the budget/practicalities.

I also liked the movie version when McCoy was in it, leather chair again, and a cosy Victorian study feel to it.

Btw thanks for the heads up about BBC3 Fri night repeats. I’m  a happy yeti again  🙂

lisa @lisa

@bluesqueakpip and ScaryB – Cpadoc’s console space is like the favorite space of someone
    who has lived in the same home for a very long time. Its beautifully conceived
    stagecraft in the way it makes him look like 1 of us. It could be like every ones genius
    Dad or possibly the brilliant uncle just hanging out in his “Sherlock” room. Yhere are
    a lot of more ‘humanized’ aspects and its partly because of these decorating choices.

TimeyWhimeyTardis @timeywhimeytardis

Hello there, everyone! I’m new here. Usually when I introduce myself I type up an awkward paragraph that basically just says “hello”, delete it, then read over what a few other people said and eventually type up something that actually looks like a human being talking and not a cyberman awkwardly leaving a voice message on someone’s phone.

so, I’ve been a fan of doctor who for just over a year now, and aside from the 199-something movie and the three doctors I’ve only seen the new series (or as you all seem to call it, nuwho.), but I really am interested in watching the old series (especially tom baker and Patrick Troughton) but I can’t find any of the old episodes that would be a good starting point.

so, that’s my greeting, hopefully I don’t sound like a vogon reading poetry.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@scaryb — I think I’ve said this before but my top 3 consoles are:

1. Smith v1

2. McGann

3. Hartnell

lisa @lisa

@Purofilion Sharing a piece with you that I just read about Seneca cause I’m thinking
    your a fan of the old philosophers – apparently there are some new books coming out about him

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/02/stoic-2?mbid=social_facebook

DoctorFoo @doctorfoo

Hello everyone, i am DoctorFoo. i am new to this fansite, but i do have one question. Who would win… the doctor or protoss from starcraft?

ScaryB @scaryb

Welcome @doctorfoo

You even have to ask that question…?! In a Doctor Who forum…?? 😉

@timeywhimeytardis Welcome also. Re previous Doctors, we do communal watches of old episodes from time to time, currently watching Troughton’s Enemy of the World, if you want to join in. Last year we went for Tomb of the Cybermen (classic Troughton) and Talons of Weng Chiang (Baker). These are probably good places to start. There are links to the YouTube versions (although DVDs are obv better quality if you can find them) + comments and discussion.

(You can find them listed in the index here)

And yes some call post 2005 Nuwho; we tend to go for AG (After Gap) and BG (Before Gap) in here, to recognise that it’s all one show. (The Gap being 1989-2005 when it was off air)

ichabod @ichabod

Oooohhh, found something!  Anybody else come across this yet?

http://www.syracuse.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/01/doctor_who_class_notes_3_things_i_learned_about_the_tardis_the_daleks_and_1963_t.html#incart_story_package

Comment column is lovely!  Looks as if the haters haven’t found it yet . . . and what’s this about death rays — ??

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,014 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (6)’ is closed to new replies.