On the Sofa (part 2)

Home Forums General On the Sofa (part 2)

This topic contains 918 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@Shazzbot‘s back and there’s gonna be trouble

Hey-na, hey-na

Shazzbot’s back!

Sorry, my brain likes to spew out mutated song lyrics sometimes.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    HTPBDET @htpbdet

So pleased to see @Shazzbot back – so thank you to everyone, especially perhaps @craig, for contributing to that welcome result.

In other news, I have been released to Home care and the delight of my nephews, who welcomed me with my penance of Episode Three of Twin Dilemma…

Intensive care was so nice…

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XojwRawaX1M
    Doctor Who Prom: The Doctor’s Theme
    z

Rasping brass!

DementedDalek @dementeddalek

Hello,

I am new here, and I do apologize if I am posting in the wrong section. I don’t mean to hijack the thread but it seems I cannot create a new topic (possibly because I am too new).

The thing is this, I am from the Netherlands and I would really like to come over to London in November and watch the 50th anniversary episode in some nice venue with other Who fans. But I don’t know where to go. There is the big convention of course but that is obviously sold out and besides, I am more interested in something not quite so enormous and crowded. I would just like to see the show on a big screen with other people who enjoy it, and have a drink or two afterwards.

Any suggestions on where to go? Do people even do this sort of thing or does everyone just stay home when the show is on?

thommck @thommck

@dementeddalek Unfortunately I don’t think any other events have been announced regarding the screening of the 50th.
    It is supposed to be in cinemas across the country so I’m sure whichever town you end up in there will be a queue full of Whovians outside the local cinema!
    The BBC will probably also show it on it’s “Big Screens” which are usually in the parks/city centres of major cities

@thommck  Well that sounds promising! I had no idea it was going to be in cinemas. Watching it in the park actually sounds even better, provided the weather isn’t too bad.

Anonymous @
    Anonymous @

MadScientist72 – thanks for the musical welcome back!

@htpbdet – wha-hey!  Although I’m dead intrigued by Twin Dilemma if intensive care beats it into a cocked hat.  Is it ‘so bad it’s good’ or just so bad the TV dies in sympathy for the production teams’ careers?

Anonymous @

@DementedDalekDuckDuckGo is your friend.  🙂

Here’s one near the top of that results list:

London Haunts & Horrors

Here is another search option for you too

Good luck!  and welcome to our forum.

Anonymous @

David your fangirling http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=szuP0oBZX4g

My favorite part of The End of Time Part 2 and my ringtine http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jzIhpLy6cZA

I know the date at the end is wrong http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ywtklrmgyxc

wolfweed @wolfweed

I certainly think that the Dr could become a woman…
    z

@Shazzbot Ah, thank you! It never occurred to me to look for “screenings”, not being a native speaker and all.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Is it ‘so bad it’s good’ or just so bad the TV dies in sympathy for the production teams’ careers?

@Shazzbot. ‘The Twin Dilemma’ is … unforgettable. Though in many ways, I’d quite like to forget it. The only good thing in it is Maurice Denham, who must have been wondering what the hell he was doing in that pile of sheep’s entrails.

Otherwise: dreadful script, some dreadful acting, rotten music, costumes that make the eyes bleed and a plot that is more convoluted than Ghostlight  – and doesn’t have the clever ideas behind it that Ghostlight has.

Anonymous @

@dementeddalek – no problem.  And your English is fine.  🙂

Don’t Dutch schools start teaching English to children when they’re very young?  Or is it an optional language to learn?

@Shazzbot Thank you, I try my best.

English is taught in all Dutch schools and it is non-optional up to a certain age, I think. I started when I entered secondary school but I do indeed believe they start earlier now.

Also, we don’t dub TV programs spoken in English but put subtitles on them.

As a consequence, all the Dutch love to practice their English, much to the annoyance of foreigners trying to learn Dutch 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘A Town Called Mercy’ is repeated tonight on BBC3 @ 7pm
    z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@danmartinuk has his next retrospective up on Caves of Androzani.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/aug/09/the-caves-of-androzani-doctor-who

Talking of Dilemmas (Twin or otherwise), Dan appears to have dealt with the sixth Doctor by subverting the form of his next column:

We’re flip-reversing the list, because we can’t really make a case for any Colin Baker story making the grade. Instead, we’re going to look at Doctor Who at its very worst. Take cover, folks, its Timelash!

What a sensible chap. Good choice. Signs of outrage are small at this point, but some minor storm clouds are gathering.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – is Caves of Androzani on our view list here?  I don’t want to read Dan Martin’s blog (yet)  if so.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – Thank God! I prefer Timelash to The Twin Dilemma…
    z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@shazzbot (welcome)

Yes, thanks for reminding me. It was on a suggested watch list because a lot of people had it in the Regenerations Box Set (with Talons). It features five, and as much of Six as I want to revisit after my rant on the Faces forum. 🙂

No massive spoilers in it, if you’ve read the nominations for it on our Top50s list, but if you want to remain relatively unspoilt, don’t link.

@wolfweed

So much more attractive a look than Colin in a Clown costume. 😉

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@Shazzbot

I think you can be either intrigued by Twin Dilemma or dead – actually, they may be the same state…

Twin Dilemma is, to use a term with which I unintentionally offended @phaseshift, a dog’s turd. I don’t think he will be offended if I use the word in this context – at least I hope not.

@bluesqueakpip is, I think, charitable to Maurice Denham. But he is usually excellent – it’s just that no one could make this drivel entertaining or even watchable!

My nephews loved watching me squirm @scaryb….

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@htpbdet

I would like to clarify to others that using an expression like “a dreary disastrous dog turd” is not against the rules, or would even offend a Moderator (I feel I have used more robust language on many an occasion). I merely disagreed with your assessment of the actor as a participant in a conversation (which you later asked me to clarify by editing a previous post).

Would you agree?

TardisBlue @tardisblue

So happy for all this good news:

@Shazzbot‘s back!*

@htpbdet‘s home!

Huzzah! Hip-hip-hooray! Happy dancing all around. The earth’s back in its proper orbit again ** and life is good.

DJ, some Glenn Miller, please.

ask a companion

ask a partner of your future human self

or learn dance moves for your son’s wedding (for @htpbdet)

TardisBlue ::: who is dancing a happy jig and invites you to join in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usO4y1dq_cI :::

*loved your lyrics, @MadScientist72
    ** Cf., The Stolen Earth

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift

Yes – that is all I meant. It was a small attempt to be humorous (at my own expense) but I did not mean to suggest anything about the Forum rules.

@tardisblue

Your enthusiasm and sheer glee is joyful. Thanks!

Mind you, the thought that my nephews had chosen Episode Three of Twin Dilemma specifically to make me squirm only serves to ensure the fate that awaits them as attendants at the wedding. 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

Kate O’ Mara is 74 today…
    z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – I look great for my age, don’t I?  🙂

janetteB @janetteb

Happy that @Shazzbot is back and @htpbdet is home even though subjected to the horror of the Twin Dilemma. The family is whole and well again and dancing but not to Glenn Millar, please. (Glenn Millar is on par with Twin Dilemma. )

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Hi janetteB – thanks for that.  🙂

But I have to mark you down for not liking Glenn Miller – and even further for comparing his orchestra to Twin Dilemma!

@Shazzbot @janetteb

Yes, there’s something a bit rum about one who does not appreciate Glen Miller. Off to the re-education camp fro you @janetteb ! Even his B-sides were epic and influential:

BoeSelecta @boeselecta

Hope this is the right place to ask this… Anyone been getting the IDW Doctor Who comics? I think they captured Matt Smiths Doc brilliantly.. I hope whoever picks up the license does as good a job

wolfweed @wolfweed

@boeselecta  I don’t have many of the IDW comics as they’re hard to get hold of in the UK. I have been following the previews though and the artists seem to be improving again.

As for the new license, the rumour is that Titan will get the gig.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/21/who-is-publishing-doctor-who-comics-in-2014-and-will-there-be-room-for-mark-waid/
    zx

BoeSelecta @boeselecta

@wolfweed thanks for that. My local comic shop gets em for me, but it aint too cheap.

Hope Titan gets the gig as it will be a lot easier to get our hands on them.

Anonymous @

Word is that Titan has more or less got it in the bag…

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/09/titan-comics-get-the-doctor-who-comics-licence/

Anonymous @

Hi all – this is old-ish as it’s from June, but it’s still well worth reading (from the New York Times).

I Know What You Think of Me

The blog talks about how we interact with other people, how we can hold contradictory opinions about people, the perils of Reply-All in emailing, and a whole lot more.  It culminates in this beautiful line (but please read the whole thing, as the journey to arrive here is just as worthwhile):

if we want the rewards of being loved we have to submit to the mortifying ordeal of being known

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/366563694123040771/photo/1

The man who wrote the Dr Who theme tune, Ron Grainer, was born on this day, 1922…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

No idea whether this is anything to do with young Amelia Pond, but –

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23663337

Amelia was the most popular  name for English/Welsh baby girls, for the second year running. 

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – also from your BBC link:

There were seven new entries into the top 100 boys’ names for England and Wales – Hugo, Sonny, Seth, Elliott, Theodore, Rory and Ellis.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    thommck @thommck

Another great find @wolfweed. Even more interesting is the artist’s comments

I did a whole load of designs for an early draft when the concept and story was quite radically different from what finally got shot, but I’m not going to post them here as I think perhaps both the original creature and original story idea might well be resurrected at a later date…it was a very cool idea.

The original idea had the ‘hider’ more as a twisted human, but as the story evolved it became more like some other dimensional creature, not warped but just the result of a different evolution

wolfweed @wolfweed

@thommck

http://kaduflyer.deviantart.com/art/Dr-Who-The-Crooked-Man-Sculpt-and-painted-suit-369798001?q=gallery%3AKaduflyer&qo=4

When he wrestles the Dr to the ground an eye was supposed to open up in his chest. I built an eye and a chest section for this scene but it was never used...you can however still see in picture 6 the closed eye that was always present in the suit.

http://kaduflyer.deviantart.com/art/Dr-Who-The-Crooked-Man-Shoot-369799093?q=gallery%3AKaduflyer&qo=3

thommck @thommck

Thanks @wolfweed. Such as good creature, although I’m not sure we’ll be seeing a plush version in stores anytime soon. Not quite the same appeal as an Adipose 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot Good to see you back. Mod status restored. Nazi away 😉

And ‘Dad dancing’? The only person I saw Dad dancing was Matt Carney – yes, it was a bit posh this festival. Half expected to bump into Call me Dave too.

Anonymous @

Thanks @craig.  Although I’m going to take a tip from @scaryb and lose the Nazi suffix (it was hilarious in reference to Mitchell & Webb’s ‘Grammar Nazi’ sketch but got edgy in a not-good way after that) and go for a Dalek suffix.

Who Matt Carney?

Good to see you back, too.  And glad you didn’t have to suffer a fist-bump with Call Me Dave (you posh git).  🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@Shazzbot He’s the new Gov of the Bank of England

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/mark-carney-does-casual-at-wilderness-festival-8757353.html

One of my mates is doing a PhD in Economics and I told him Carney had basically strolled along behind a few of us for about 5 minutes and he was a bit devastated he hadn’t been there to chat to him. None of us did, but he’d probably have been straight in.

Haven’t had time to read 4 days of posts yet so apologies – Dalek it is… 😀

Anonymous @

@craig – well, I know ‘that’ Mark Carney but the cognitive dissonance was too great to assume that he was the one you were referring to!  I assumed some Z-list celebrity.  My, you do mix in exalted circles, don’t you.  🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKewl0mwECk#at=74

z
    Time-lapse – First Doctor’s TARDIS Console

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘On the Sofa (part 2)’ is closed to new replies.