The Kebab & Calculator

Home Forums General The Kebab & Calculator

This topic contains 795 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  blenkinsopthebrave 7 hours, 47 minutes ago.

Viewing 46 posts - 751 through 796 (of 796 total)
  • Author
    winston @winston

@missy  That video did make me smile and dance in my chair.. That zookeeper was cute and he had some good dance moves.Loved the fan work and the cheeky ending. Thank you.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Sympathies and virtual drink of their choice to anyone affected by the announcement last night in England (oh heck, drink for everyone!)

However, a hearty ‘And stay out!’ to the people who flooded the Snowdonian mountain range and my own little town over the weekend as though it was a Bank Holiday. This is, I think, quite good news for those of us who have had to self isolate anyway for the past few weeks. And I do have some sympathy for people who wanted to flee the virus, but we just don’t have enough hospitals where we are.

We’re still allowed to walk our dogs, we wait till the tide is out to avoid other people. We can’t pet other people’s dogs. That hurts. Shops should hopefully get better. Managed to get hold of a 24 pack of toilet paper the other day. Don’t know whether to use it for its traditional purpose or go ahead and get that kitchen extension we always talked about ;).

Missy @missy

@winston

Not at all. I was visiting the BBC News to see what Boris was up to and saw it.

Car firms have been asked to make ventilators instead of cars to assist the NHS.

Earlier. I’d read that manufacturers of garden equipment were asked too. It took them a week to be up and running.

Good for them I say.

However, I’d rather they shut pubs than the libraries – here in OZ that is.

Missy

nerys @nerys

To ease the boredom of isolation, here are some nature-related streaming webcams that I’ve watched for years now:

Africam

Djuma Cam

Hancock Wildlife Foundation Eagle Cams (three of the four nests have eggs now, with hatching of the eaglets expected in April)

Nova Scotia Webcams (the osprey cam should be up and running soon, and the Shelburne waterfront and Sandy Point Lighthouse, where I live, are among the featured webcams)

Explore Livecams (they have a snowy owl webcam that goes live during the snowy owl breeding season, plus lots more webcams that are active now)

WildEarth Safaris (they stream amazing live safaris from South Africa twice daily)

The Log Cam (series of videos a photographer set up to capture the wildlife crossing a log across a creek)

I’ve wasted more time on these sites than I should, but I do enjoy them. Especially the WildEarth live safaris. It’s such an amazing thing to have a virtual “seat” on a safari vehicle, or “walk” next to a guide during a bush walk, as they are happening. You never know what you are going to see!

For their afternoon drives (morning in my time zone), they usually start out with a kids’ hour. The drives are interactive, so viewers can post questions in the chat, and often the guides answer them during the safari. It’s especially fun when the kids ask questions, and the guides respond.

Usually the questions come from one or more school classrooms that are watching. But since schools are closed, this would be a really fun thing for kids to do at home. They never show live kills during the kids’ hour, but parents should know that sometimes they do after that time. They start out each drive with a caution about the possibility of a live kill happening during the webcast, so people know up front what may happen.

The great thing about the webcams that are on YouTube is that you can scroll back to see what you missed (usually a three-hour time frame). Sunday I was watching the Djuma cam, and a herd of elephants, including several babies, did their “water run” down to the dam and started playing in the water. They were having so much fun! You can’t stay stuck in your head, watching that.

nerys @nerys

@missy I just got around to watching the video you linked. Who’d have thought? Zookeeper’s interpretive dance, complete with prop. I love it! Thank you for sharing that. I hope you are well and safe. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

winston @winston

@nerys   Just looked at your Sandy Point webcam but all was dark except for the lights on the water so I will look tomorrow. We love N.S. and spent a month there in 2015 on the Digby Neck and it was so beautiful!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

They’re cancelling cancer treatments for the time being. Doesn’t look good for Catheter removal and further investigations for my boyfriend in a couple of weeks. I wonder what the ‘prostate is a cancer people die with rather than of” looks like in the total absence of treatment? I mean, his father’s had it for years, and it was diagnosed late. I’m beyond frustrated because I can scrub down the shopping, distance myself from people, wash my hands, and stay inside with uttermost scrupulousness. But I can be completely successful in keeping the virus away from him, but he could still easily die as a result of the pandemic.

And I can’ even tell myself ‘it’s not like when your father had it in the 80’s, cancer treatment is a amazing nowadays’ because clearly, for the foreseeable future, it’s not going to be. At least it hasn’t hit Wales yet quite as hard as some parts of England, but then, we’re yet to see the effect of all those bloody stupid tourists last weekend.

Mudlark @mudlark

@nerys

Peregrine falcons nesting on the spire of Norwich Cathedral are currently observable via webcam here

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick

I’m really sorry to hear that. I do know some cancer treatments affect the immune system, so it could well be that they’re cancelling treatments because they’re balancing the medium term progression against the short term chance of dying from Coronavirus.

Or it just could be that all their beds are full (or they expect them to be full) of highly infectious patients and they don’t want anybody who isn’t in immediate danger near their hospital.

My mum (North Wales) has already been told that she’s not considered bad enough to get the ‘stay inside for 12 weeks’ letter, but that she is not to go in to the GP’s surgery until further notice. Phone them, fine, but don’t go in.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@miapatrick

I can only offer sympathy and admiration in equal measure.

In these times (indeed any time) Who sends us a very simple message:

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@miapatrick

Really sorry to hear that. Sending warmest thoughts and hoping you and yours and doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances…

Rob @rob

Evening All

Just popping in before a WhatsApp video call to my Wife, my Mum and my Daughter

Think I’m going to be nodding and agreeing alot as they’re all fiesty ladies

It’s not the virus that scares me but those three ganging up on me

Be good and stay safe everyone

janetteB @janetteb

@miapatrick. Sorry to hear about your S/O It is a difficult call for hospitals right now. Our neighbour is currently on chemo and I am concerned about her. It is a double whammy, at higher risk from Covid19 and at risk from the suspension of cancer treatment. Hoping it does work out for your partner.

Still feels like we are on the edge of the storm here, though it is rapidly advancing upon us. We still have a house full so don’t feel isolated at all. Dinner is like a party when all the kids make it to the table. Missing my usual Thursday writing group this afternoon however. IT has been part of my routine for so long now, but we are looking at ways of catching up online and my S/O has revamped the website which was something that we always talked about doing but never got around to.

Stay safe and well, and above all, keep cheerful. (Watch Dr Who as and if required. It always helps me.)

cheers

Janette

syzygy @thane16

@rob

You must always gird your loins when speaking with lions. I recall an exam question in the defunct Naplan Testing  asking for definitions/explanations of girding one’s loins. Some answers included: lock the zoo permanently; keep the lions in a separate cage; always wear Y-fronts; consider the holy, naked body as a temple &, ironically, stand many metres from others people. Hope all IS well on all fronts, Rob.

@whisht good to see the music. I was in Sydney for quite a while & managed to board one of the last flights home on Monday afternoon which deployed social distancing. I had 12 seats to myself as did most others. Normally this would be thrilling.

@winston Good to see you about Forum. How’s the Buffy watch? If you’ve started yet.

@miapatrick I’m SO so, sorry to hear this about your partner. Worrying about it makes things even worse & trying to relax is almost impossible. As @blenkinsopthebrave said & I echo, I admire you for your scrupulousness, your evident patience, care & love.

You have mine.

Old Syzygy

Rob @rob

@thane16 or is it @Syzgy

It was a good video call, I’m the only one out working as I’m considered a critical worker (and I always thought I was a sarcastic worker so is critical a promotion or demotion?)

My Mum is in the high risk because of age

My daughter is also in the high risk due to congenital heart disease and has had to shut her dog walking business,  with all the financial repercussions

My wife is doing the Mum thing and worrying about the children, grandchildren,  life, the universe and everything (as Mum’s do)

I’m being typically me and thinking about Dr Who, sword fighting techniques,  will I be able to get coffee machine de-scaler tablets and why there were no gloves at the pumps but you had to put the same gloves on to enter the shop, which were inside the shop etc etc etc……

Seriously though I am concerned about my family and my social groups (Dr Who friends and reenacting friends) both frienfship groups are diverse in age, gender, backgrounds and it seems that this virus is having a huge impact.

Right time to prepare the veg for the slow cooker for my tea tonight,  aubergine surprise,  the surprise being I’m not sure how I’m going to cook said aubergine

Take care all, be safe, be well and even if we’re having to take the long way round we will get to the other side

Big hugs (with Mr Tickle arms always 2m away from contact)

Nightingale @nightingale

@miapatrick

Really sorry to hear you’ve been left in such a horrendous situation. My mother has been left in a similar position. I think this virus has become a measure of where we’re at, socially and institutionally, and the lack of wiggle room in the latter (and the gobsmacking selfishness of the former) doesn’t bode well as a dry run for the forthcoming zombie apocalypse.

Some encouraging words from you know Who:

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@bluesqueakpip thank you, and yes, that makes sense. It is concerning when they reassure you that if it is that, it’s very very treatable, and then you hear, however, there might be no treatment for a long time, I think its the indefinite time period that makes it hard, not that there is anything they can do about it. My friend, who lives in London, had cancer treatment last year (thankfully, last year) and she’s been told to stay inside for twelve weeks and isolate as much as possible from anyone she lives with for that time. She lives in a bedsit with her boyfriend…  A lot of our GP’s are limiting entry. Ring in prescription, they send them to the pharmacy, telephone consultations for everyone initially and a appointments only if strictly necessary. This last, I think, would be a good idea in general, especially at flu season.

And @blenkinsopthebrave and @thanke16 thank you, though you might be overestimating my patience! Propanalol helps…

and @jimthefish and @janetteb I think one problem at the moment is seeing all these articles about people finding ways to occupy their time – and I do really sympathise with people who have had their day to day lives completely shifted. But in mine, and I suspect many people’s cases, this whole thing actually adds to the to-do list, gives us less time to fill up/occupy. Washing the groceries. Washing clothes more often. Making sure counters are clear enough to be frequently cleaned. Shopping taking longer because of limits of how many in the shop. I only really left the house to shop and walk dogs in the first place, the rest of my time was pretty much filled up inside the house. So I’m a little jelouse of people getting to catch up on boxed sets, learn a language, take up hobbies, create things, learn a language. Though I also think it’s lovely and that we as a society will benefit from more free time as a principle.

I think one problem the other morning was that Mark has an annoying little habit (I almost wonder sometimes if he’s trying to preemptively soften the blow 🙂 ) of bringing up anxiety inducing topics just when we’re about to go to sleep (and it takes me an hour at the best of times to fall asleep. And I wake up at six regardless of what time I managed to get to sleep). so it was ‘oh, they’re cancelling cancer treatments, and I don’t think I’ll be getting the catheter out and tests next month. Night night.’ And my brain is very effective and energetic first thing, which is why I can’t sleep in. So that was fun. Additionally, he doesn’t want any of his friends to know yet, and the only long term friend I have who wasn’t his friend first (I just never tended to make many friends) is the one in London who had cancer last year. So I think I got a little pent up.

But thank you everyone. I’m so glad this site exists at a time like this – so thank you, as always, @craig.

janetteB @janetteb

@nightingale This crisis is demonstrating that our entire economy and social model is without solid foundations. One little shake and it all tumbles down. One thing  I really hope is that this situation will lead to some revolutionary social change. Our excuse for a government has already demonstrated that they actually know that “trickle down” economics don’t work by suddenly doubling welfare payments, those same payments which they were about to ditch in favour of “food stamps”. Fingers crossed some good will come out of this.

@thane16 Good to hear from you. I have been wondering where you are. Do keep safe and well. Queensland now seems so far away. Our states are fast becoming separate nations. I think the last time state borders closed with in the late 1920s due to a polio epidemic. I did not think it would ever happen again, certainly not in my lifetime.

Cheers

Janette

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@nightingale yarp and if the many (I now think, maybe too many) post-apocalyptic shows I’ve watched have taught me anything, it’s that it doesn’t look fun.

janetteB @janetteb

@miapatrick Yes I am envious of all those people who are finding they have more time. I too have less. WE have had to go out almost every day this week to stock up because we can no longer buy enough on our one weekly shopping trip. So much for limiting shopping. The restrictions make that impossible because they make no allowance for larger households. We don’t know now how long our extra guest will be staying. They are still waiting to hear about the house they were hoping to move into to but apparently the owner was supposed to be moving into nursing home so that could be delayed indefinitely which means we remain a household of seven adults. Well at least we won’t be starved for company. Meal times are like parties. Fortunately all lectures/classes are being done online so only the youngest who is still at school has to go out at all.

Cheers

Janette

nerys @nerys

@miapatrick I am so sorry to see this news about your significant other. I hope this is temporary, and once this thing settles down (as we all hope it will do), his treatments will resume. But I know it must be hard to think so far forward into the future, and even more difficult to keep from worrying about the present.

@thane16 Good to see you! I’m glad you got home safely. I fervently hope that all the precautions on your flight safeguarded you!

winston @winston

@miapatrick   I am glad you still have a sense of humour in this horrible time.I think that may be the only way to get through this sh*t storm, that and binge watching Doctor Who of course. My husband wakes up far too early and watches the news, so when I get up I am deluged with bad news before I finish my 1st coffee. Wait till I am finished before you fill me in on the news please.

@thane16 It is good to have you back! I hope you and your family are doing well in this crazy time.We are pretty locked down here in Canada with some provinces harder hit then others but all affected by the virus and its social and economic side effects. We had 1 case last week in my area and that has jumped to 27 today with 2 deaths. It is hard not to be worried but we are stringently self isolating and my house and hands have never been cleaner. So stay safe and say hello to that lovely son of yours.

Where I live spring has finally arrived in the form of geese, ducks, herons and songbirds. There are crocus, tulip and daffodil bulbs peeking out of the soil and beavers and muskrats swimming past our house with sticks to repair theirs. If these little animals and birds and flowers can make it through our winters year after year then there is hope for us all.

Went to my local off-license (not a term we use in Canada, but anyway) a few days ago and commented to the cashier (from a distance) that if they closed I would know civilization had come to an end. Went there today and…it was closed!

@thane16 You’re back! Hurrah!

Just passing this on as a feel-good story about life in a lockdown out here on the west coast:

Greater Victoria residents roar in thanks to frontline workers

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  I saw this on the news and it was great! We can’t do enough to help and thank these brave,  hard working folks.As to the off- license  being closed I feel for you. Ours are still open for now.

Whisht @whisht

@thane16 – soooooo good to hear from you. Really really good. Hope you’re keeping well.

@miapatrick – really sorry to hear about your situation. I have no wise words, or advice or anything of use. Others here have said far wiser and compassionate things so just know that even the tongue-tied and those who never post and simply read are thinking of you.

@blenkinsopthebrave – happened to me too (off-licence that is!). I’m bereft. [btw should put it on appropriate thread but not yet seen Picard – need to find a few days I can max-out the free CBS trial to see the relevant STNG episodes!]

Great to see other names here again too.

Here in my area of London its a mixed picture. Streets are pretty empty. Orderly distanced queues waiting to get into corner shops and chemists. But a major park closed and too many people (like me!) thinking a walk on the canal would be good exercise (sadly can’t do that again!).

Last night the 8pm applause I only heard about 10mins before while watching the news.
    Leaned out the window and was amazed to hear the cheers, clapping, whistling (I added some of my own).
    My area is quite mixed (£1+m apartments; council flats; quite even mix of ‘social grades’ etc); people don’t know their neighbours (even next door flat) so to hear so many people clapping and whistling and cheering and then hooting horns… was quite amazing. Never heard something like that before – closest would be New Year’s but that’s groups of people, parties etc.

I hope our appreciation extends beyond a crisis. I hope the Tories never use the words “economically valuable” when talking about immigration ever again. I won’t hold my breath.

Stay safe everyone

OK, at the risk of coming across as incredibly wet, I offer you this feel-good story, involving the coronaviris, from my part of the world. As I read the unrelentingly depressing stories on the news, this story gives me hope.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/she-s-95-he-s-102-their-love-still-shines-through-the-window-1.24107177

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hey all, at the risk of seeming needy, I thought I would let you all know that today is my 50th birthday.

And I’m spending it on my own. 🙁

We did have a whole family thing planned with my parents and my brother and his family but it all, quite rightly, had to be cancelled. Have talked on the phone though.

Then one of my friends was going to stay, but we cancelled that too.

So I’m having cake on my own today.

I am planning a 50 and a half birthday party though – if this has all blown over by then.

janetteB @janetteb

@craig Happy Birthday. I would sing but I can’t, however I will charge my glass and drink a toast to you.

We have a good friend turning fifty in two weeks time and were supposed to be heading to Melbourne for his birthday but that too is deferred for six months. Hopefully normal transmission will have resumed by then.

cheers

Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Happy Birthday, @craig

Hope you’re having a good one….

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Oh, and in a shameless piece of (sort of) promotion, if you’re at a loose end during self-isolation, there’s an online literary festival happening for the next two weeks (I’ll be moderating a few of the events). And there is a Who connection — Who author Una McCormack will be reading from her new Star Trek Picard novel tomorrow at 4pm and Una, Simon Guerrier, Jonny Morris and Jac Rayner will be in discussion on Wednesday. Do dive in if you fancy any of it.

https://stayathomefest.wordpress.com/programme/

BadWolfAlice @badwolfalice

Happy birthday @craig 🙂 Sorry you’re having to spend it alone but I hope you have a good day anyway!

Happy birthday, @craig!

@miapatrick Yeah, it’s the not knowing the timescale that makes it worse. There was an article on NHS England’s response in the Spectator this week by Dr Max Pemberton which is simultaneously reassuring and scary. Reassuring because they are gearing up to do everything they can; scary because they don’t yet know how long they’ll have to be in crisis mode.

Both of you stay safe and stay strong.

Mudlark @mudlark

@craig

Happy landmark birthday, and may the next one be celebrated in happier and more convivial circumstances. Meanwhile, here in the pub, we can join you in spirit if not in person. Cheers!

Mudlark @mudlark

@miapatrick

This is somewhat belated, but commiserations and all best wishes to you both, that you get safely through this anxious and difficult time.

@craig
    Happy Birthday! Hope it’s a good one in spite of the circumstances. 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@bluesqueakpip

That article in the Spectator confirms what I have been hearing and reading. The speed and efficiency of the response has been astonishing and heartening, from the reorganisation within individual hospitals and the rapid organisation and construction of huge field hospitals such as that at the ExCel centre, to the fast tracking of final year medical students and the mustering of  volunteers. Just as one small example, one of my nephews who is a consultant physician at GOSH says that the private wing of the hospital has been commandeered for acute paediatric cases in order to free up beds for adults, and that other hospitals are similarly taking over their private wards for NHS use. Even so, given the degree to which the NHS have been starved of funding over the last ten years, with the resulting shortage of equipment and staff, there is a high risk that they will soon be overwhelmed, as has been the experience in some other countries.

The NHS, whatever its relative shortcomings, has one great virtue as compared with most other systems, in that it provides regional networks which, when functioning as they should, provide a joined-up and highly efficient national service.

My respect for the NHS has for the most part always been high, based on personal experience and not just because I have relatives who have been or are employed in it, and if anything good comes out of all this, I simply hope that it is a deeper and more widespread understanding and appreciation of the value of the service, rather than meaningless lip service to its status as a ‘national treasure’, and that there will be a permanent end to the managerial  sclerosis which has resulted from government tampering in the name of bean-counting ‘efficiency’ and an ideological worship of ‘the market’.

I hope, but my optimism is frail.

Missy @missy

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRAIG! YES, I’M SHOUTING CAN YOU HEAR ME? *grins*

Missy

Missy @missy

@nerys

Thank you m’love, so far I am fine. One can only hope.

What about you?

Missy

winston @winston

@craig  Happy 50th Birthday!  It is a real drag that you have to spend it without your family but at least you have your phone and your Whovian fam online. I hope your cake is your favourite kind and you have ice cream to go with it. In fact I will have some ice cream in your honour. I hope you like my sacrifice.

winston @winston

The longer this isolation lasts the lazier I get about what I look like.After all nobody is coming over to see me. I have taken to pajama day like a duck to water.Today I had on what I called my mullet clothes ,business on the top and party on the bottom. While in the back yard I saw some people paddling down the creek but when I realized what I was wearing I ran inside before they could see me. I had on PJ bottoms that were blue ,fluffy and covered in stars and I had thrown on a red and black checked lumberjack type shirt. It was ridiculous. They would have either laughed or paddled away very quickly.

I might try harder in the future but jammies are so comfy.

janetteB @janetteb

@jimthefish. I have saved the link. I am interested to see how the festival is managed as we are planning on doing our own, very modest. local writers’ festival on line this year.

@mudlark if nothing else this crisis is showing up just how critical public heath care is. We are all as vulnerable now as the most vulnerable person in our community. We simply cannot afford to have people who are unable to access health care so even when looked at from a totally selfish viewpoint, public health care is vitally important. I think right wing governments are going to have a hard time now starving public heath of funding. In fact, I think right now right wing governments are having a hard time being right wing. Fingers crossed some good will come out of this crisis.

cheers

Janette

Rob @rob

@craig

Belated Happy Birthday

Great idea to have a later Official Birthday, you are as your avatar shows a person of high birth and that is entirely fitting for you to have as many 50th birthday parties as you desire (quick Who Forum people we all  need to panic buy jelly [for our cousins across the pond that’s jello], just in case Craig pops round the moment we’re allowed to mix again)

Whisht @whisht

@craig – a belated Happy Birthday.

Left you something on the jukebox…

nerys @nerys

@missy So far, so good. I work as a cashier in a grocery store, and that has brought its challenges, for sure. We now have plexiglass shields set up at all checkouts, plus barriers behind us so that we’re not in any direct contact with customers (other than handling cash or coupons).

The main issue is that we are doing so much sanitizing at our checkouts and all throughout the store, using a spray sanitizer, that several of us have developed asthma-like symptoms in response to the spray. I know I am (and I realize that this may have been going on for quite a while now; it’s just that I’m noticing it a lot more now). It’s not serious; I had a much worse asthma episode as a child, and this is nothing like that. But it’s noticeable.

@craig Happy birthday (wished belatedly)!

I mave have posted this on a previous April Fool’s Day, but it always warrants a repeat viewing. From the BBC, April 1, 1957:

Viewing 46 posts - 751 through 796 (of 796 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.