The Maldovarium

Home Forums General The Maldovarium

This topic contains 792 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  RorySmith 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 43 posts - 751 through 793 (of 793 total)
  • Author
    Hiker @hiker

@missrori

Sigh. Even if you had the same views as your loved ones, this would be a challenge. I gripe with my friends, but unfortunately we don’t feel any better when we’re done. Aside from some early postcard wrting/emails to our representatives, I think we feel that we can’t do much. We contribute to the organizations we feel need the  extra support and could something. (eg. NRDC who actually bring court cases to slow down/stop the insane environmental proposals we’ve been seeing.)

Aslo, I find following Dan Rather on FB helps just a bit, as I hope others in the USA feel as he does.

And yep, I shut down the real world in countless rewatches of the Capaldi era.

Maybe I can learn to be kind.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@missrori Sorry to hear that. I know what you mean. You may find some useful tips in this article. There’s a lot of good advice. I know I have when I’ve needed to re-adjust some times.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/04/boston_bombing_breaking_news_don_t_watch_cable_shut_off_twitter_you_d_be.html

Also, as you’re a Doctor Who fan – I’m not suggesting you’re a geek though – you may like the work Den of Geek do. It’s very admirable. You can find a series of very good articles here (7 pages of them), some of which may help in darker times.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/geeks-vs-loneliness

Also, I get most of my US news these days from watching clips of The Daily Show, Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert on YouTube. At least they’re funny. Unfortunately we don’t have the same sort of nightly round-ups in the UK.

But mostly – we’re always here for you here, on this site.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@missrori Just one example that made me laugh today – because sometimes the court jesters actually make the most sense. Big hugs.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@missrori

You may feel like taking a break is ‘shutting out the real world’, but sometimes going cold turkey on the news cycle is a good thing to do. Pick a date, shut off your feeds and alerts, tell yourself you’re on retreat until a week or a month later. If anyone notices, just tell them you’re taking a holiday from the news.

I’m a bit of a news junkie, so I’ve done this a couple of times. I always come back feeling refreshed and better able to cope. And trust me; if major stuff happens, people will let you know.

Take care.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Y’know what major stuff just happened? A new episode of The Keys of Marinus was posted (it was, admittedly, posted on Sunday and not Saturday – life got in the way).

Just one of the people letting you know. 🙂

thane15 @thane15

@missrori

Well, hi there!

Are you feeling  a bit down?

That’s understandable. I think a few months ago now Mum sent you some really good ideas such as those people who are completely free (under basic insurance) -music therapists. There are also buses and trains or perhaps a friend can drive you if you cannot drive? Your other option is to see a psychologist -not because you are ‘sick’ in any way but many of them are actually in ‘twos’ with a student registrar and it’s free. Mum knew about all this stuff for  a friend in what she called the Flyover states in America. It’s just awesome to talk then, you see?

You could also join a good book club where on facebook you have the option to read about the ‘way they think’ so you’re not walking into  an ant’s nest! 🙂

Oops, I’m at school, injured my hip and can’t play sport so I saw your post. Back to work.

Hope it helps. I think it actually  will. It’s a question of just  ‘doing it’ in my opinion.

See you!

Thane15

MissRori @missrori

@craig @hiker @thane15 @bluesqueakpip  Thanks for the support.

I already try to keep up with those shows you mentioned Craig — I’ve followed some of them for years now — but it’s getting harder because I work nights and Mom notices if I have used the On Demand system on our cable boxes to catch up during the day.  She says I “better stop watching” those shows; she feels all they do is tear down the good people trying to keep our country safe and strong.  🙁  At least online viewing is an option (it’s how I keep up with John Oliver’s show).

Now I’m barely on the right side of 40 at this point, but that’s the kind of situation it is living with one’s parents.  I feel like I’m walking on eggshells with my mother these days, and trying not to show my upset when she goes on a rant about, say, people taking a knee for problems that don’t exist.  I’m really scared she’ll find out that Who and its cast and crew aren’t exactly pro-Trump, because that will just trigger another rant.  She’s upset enough about Jodie Whittaker’s casting, seeing it as a P.C. sop.

This also gets in the way of trying to seek therapy.  Since Mom doesn’t think my anxieties about the world are valid  she would not support me trying to seek therapy for them, and I have no friends living in town who could pick up the slack for me as far as transportation goes.  No low-cost public transportation either.

I’m not sure how to find common ground with my mother.  I don’t read/watch Bill O’Reilly, Ann Coulter, Dinesh d’Souza, Fox News, etc.  I find their views too repellent.  On the other side of the coin she thinks Democrats are evil, anybody who complains about police brutality, white nationalism, the refugee crisis, Islamophobia, etc. are whiners, those who try to help them (i.e. Angela Merkel) are just inviting trouble and terrorism, and that Trump was the best choice for our country and has been the victim of a witch hunt by the media and just about everybody else.  What should I do?  I’ve tried to understand her point of view, but I simply can’t agree with it.

I’ve tried to be inspired by the Twelfth Doctor’s struggles, but he didn’t get much for being kind in this year’s finale…so it’s hard to argue why we should be kind instead of trying to win!  😉

Thanks again, and any other comments are welcome.

janetteB @janetteb

@misssrori You are in a difficult position and I wish there was more I could do to help, other than send imaginary hugs from the other side of the planet. I have friends dealing with parents with extreme right wing views but they don’t have to live with them. A friend we were staying with recently takes her mother to see films so they can spend time together without talking. Another friend’s husband is moving to the right but she spends a lot of time with friends mostly in writing groups who are “like minded” and I think that is how she copes. If you don’t have those options there is online and truely I think I speak for all of us here when I say it is fine to talk about those issues here because this forum is about more than a shared passion for a British Sci-fi series and that is why we have a pub.
    Cheers and best wishes
    Janette

janetteB @janetteb

Oops sorry. @missrori I seem to be making a habit of getting names wrong tonight. Thank goodness for the edit button. I can’t do anything right tonight.
    Cheers
    Janette

thane15 @thane15

@missrori

It’s all good with the hugs ‘n’ stuff but the real issue -whether you’re living with your parents or not due to an illness, is that if you can work -and at night – you can find an inexpensive bed sit and move out. Close to work for buses, talk to a legal aid type place that can assist you into other living which will mean you’re happier and independent.

Otherwise absolutely nothing will change.

It hasn’t yet, you see. And sometimes, I guess , if we go ahead and don’t take that scary decision then all we’re doing is living with the same problem…. aaand nothing changes. I imagine it’s hard to start again  -or start -with very few to help you . Dad wasn’t well once. He left his home -the UK and only when he was in his late 30s did he make a decision about what to do with his life. He had nothing. I mean NOTHING. But he got jobs, and moved along. It was hard.

It’s about taking chances and where you live there IS help. And again, working nights and finding  a room to rent elsewhere with like-minded people is the best advice -in my opinion anyway. 😉

Thane.

thane15 @thane15

@missrori

the therapy mum talked about is free. Also, see your doctor. If your mom is stopping you from doing things you need you could get a letter stating that from him or her.  Mom’s not behaving like a carer if that’s what she is. If she’s not, you don’t owe her anything at all. Also you can find organised groups which deal with people who are depressed or need someone to talk to.

With a job at night you CAN find cheaper transportation. Or even better, leave town, find another job right near a bus or tram and then find someone to talk to. There are heaps of groups around -poetry groups, music ones (you don’t even have to know how to sing!), cinema and book groups and they’re free.

You can do it!

@craig

That’s real life for you. But the lack of commentary is now rectified. 🙂

Missy @missy

@hiker:

I agree with @bluesqueakpip. I rarely watch the news, and only read one newspaper The International Express – our British members will no that one.

@missrori: Well, I agree with your mother about JD, but nothing else. All I can offer, and it isn’t easy, is stick to what your gut tells you. Don’t listen to anyone else, just you sense of what is right. This is what I do and it helps.

Also, I agree 100% with thane. Bloody hard to do, but go for it. No dipping of toes in the water, just jump.

When I was 16 I left home and lived in a hostel for a while, then found a bed sitter and a job all on the same day.

Lucky you say? N0, I worked at it.

All of us are with you.

Missy X

janetteB @janetteb

@missy times, unfortunately have changed. There were possibilities open to us when we were young that are not there now. I saved up enough money on the dole to get to London, got a job there immediately. I was never out of work for more than a day in London. When I arrived in Adelaide it took me about a month to get work. I have five dollars left in my bank account, (this was before the days when banks actually penalised you for having no money) when I got my first pay. To get that kind of job now I would need paperwork which costs. In my circumstances I would not be able to get dole and in rural areas jobs are not readily available. I know. I grew up in a rural area. Moving to the city when you know nobody is not easy either. London was easy. Adelaide was not. I struggled to find accommodation and the house I eventually moved into was far from desirable especially as I was studying full time and working. Accommodation remained an issue for me until I moved in with my S/O when I was doing final year of honours. So what I am trying to say is that not everybody has the same options open to them. Right now jobs are getting increasingly scarce, wages have not kept pace with the cost of living making it very difficult for young people to leave home. Here at least government assistance is so restricted because the “allowances” have also not kept pace with rising living costs.
    Anyway rant over.. for now. 🙂
    Cheers
    Janette

thane15 @thane15

@missy @missrori @thane15 @janetteb @bluesqueakpip

Hi there Miss Rori, it’s Puro (being let out without her much needed leash!).

I can see that it’s very difficult in the States,  the UK and even here. I agree with ALL of you that it’s jolly tough. It really is (and I hope young Thane will read this too) and there aren’t easy answers are there?

Moving out and away is one option but without family who are supportive on more occasions than they’re not, perhaps (?) then it’s risky. Taking the risky option can work out, sure, but sometimes it doesn’t  and you end up moving back, tail between your legs which give the naysayers the chance to say “I told you so”.

If you do move out as @missy and young @thane15 suggest, then I’d say researching the best possible option is the most important element of  this ‘discovery’ so that you’ve a job to go to and somewhere inexpensive to rent. Whilst standard renting is extremely expensive here  – @janetteb – would agree I’m sure) there are church-groups and others who simply rent out rooms for a single person with cooking arrangements discussed up front. Providing you’re not into parties and loud music the home owner is usually happy for a  bit of company?

But as Pip said, not talking about these issues with your family and avoiding watching telly with them which causes more unfriendly and unkind discussions sounds like the best bet to start with. If you have Netflix there are some terrific shows to take your mind off things like The Good Place mentioned to me by @pedant which is adorable and shares some of your personal opinions. I believe some excellent comedians and late-night chatterboxes can be seen on catch up telly via a laptop? Here and in the UK, Jim Jeffries is a very vocal (don’t tell your parents!) opponent of your current administration and he’s great for laughs.

Much study has been done into music therapy as I’ve mentioned and they’re always looking for free ‘tests’ which aren’t  scary and don’t involve any medication -it’s just music. Most university depts. even in relatively small areas will have access to this, even remotely.

Then the studies which show how positive comedy and laughter is for healing. Finding some of these to watch can re-boot your mood immediately.

Anyway, hope this isn’t too long a post!

Cheers to you all,

Puro.

Missy @missy

@janetteb;

Ouch! That’s me told!

Of course times are different nowadays. Jobs were easier to find, especially as you gathered experience. Being Dental Nurse gave me a lot of scope.

My point- and I hope that @missrori realises this – is that things can’t happen unless you make them happen.

I lived with an impossibe mother too. Fortunately not only was I a rebel, I was also bloody minded (still am) and this helped me a lot.

Taking that first step would be overwhelming, I can see and understand that, but if you do nothing what then?

Our daughter tried every factory in an industrieal area and got a job in the second one. They hadn’t advertised.

The first step is the hardest.

Missy

Missy @missy

@missrori: as @thane15 said.

Yep, I moved into a church army hospital (they don’t deserve capital letters) and whilst there I looked for a job and

BS. Obviouosy don’t try to move out until you have both.

I’ve heard how hard it is to get a job these days, even for people with Uni degrees, so please believe that I’m not being flippant or uncaring.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

@thane15 @missy @janetteb  Hello again!

I honestly don’t think I have what it takes to cut ties with my family yet, financially or otherwise.  The part of the Midwest I live in has taken economic malaise pretty hard — and Puro, I have seen over the years the problems with taking the risky choice firsthand.  My two younger brothers have had some real ups and downs trying to leave the nest.  I find it hard to keep track of their current jobs anymore!

Also, while it is trying to deal with my mother these days, my father is a mellow, kind, good man, conservative though he is.  I’d hate to leave him over something I could find another way(s) to deal with.  And in ten, even five years we might all be making major changes to our lives that would bring me to a place of greater independence.  For now, I’d rather work on saving for retirement and possible assisted living later on than consider moving out, tempting though it may be.  😉   The main frustration is not being able to talk with and connect with my parents as much as I would like to, but right now we just don’t have much in common to avoid stumbling into traps.  Biting on one’s tongue all day is difficult.

Thanks for all the comments and kindness.  🙂

thane15 @thane15

@missrori

I’m sure Puro understands -it’s Thane again!

I’ real lucky in that my parents share the same opinions and some but not most of my mates do too.

Mum was studying overseas in her early 20s and when she went back home she was back in the environment she was when she left. They never got on. Mum’s dad  died and she never went to the funeral. She says she always had vocal political discussions with them. They were real conservative.

I think it’s not unusual. If your mom is tough and your dad  is fine you’re doing really  well. Focussing on the positive is really impt. Negative vibes and  stating the same thing in your internal head space isn’t going to help 🙂

@missy -not at all. You’re right on the money as  my Mum would say. You do have to  take a step and move at the right, opportunity.

And Miss rori, read about others’ experiences! My dad ended up in Oz when he was 32 with NOTHING..

He had his motor bike, a sleeping bag and from jobs enough money to buy oats (porridge) which he made over a stove camping. He had a chicken to eat within the week and one glass of milk from a ‘milk bar’ a week. People gave him oranges falling from trees and sometimes he went cherry and peach picking and the business would let him doss on site. He was confident though and strong. He also didn’t say much meaning he intimidated some of the others and so they left him alone. 🙂

He got jobs wherever picking up a crop duster plane license, learning carpentry, brickie-laying, cleaning toilets and barman work. Except he’d given up drinking 10 years before! -if you’re part Irish, drinking grog was considered not a “problem” back then but it would’ve been for him.

I’m not saying “go camping Rori, that will save you” -it’s just a good, real story to tell.

From Thane

thane15 @thane15

@missrori

the thing s mum mentioned are good though and could work.

Those music therapy classes and tests actually pay you.  CHeck your region for possibles. Also, the book clubs? Poetry clubs, blogging your thoughts, going for walks and talking to someone at their fence line about their garden. People do this to Mum who tries to stay in the garden (health help we call it) so don’t turn your back on some of these ideas. They’re proven to work and get you out of the house.

I think fear of the unknown can do more damage. Whilst it’s  an area in the middle,  as you say and mum knows this area, what if  you go to another place in a bigger city where jobs could be advertised? I mean ANY jobs -not the naughty ones. Through volunteer work in your home-town you could also make connections? That would be volunteer hospital and library work, even canteen work at your local school. Some of those  high schools have free activities at night: badminton, backgammon, basic defence for women etc.

janetteB @janetteb

@missy sorry for my rant. It is a sore subject with me at the mo’ having just spent a few days with friends one of whom gave the “what your boys should be doing” lecture with no awareness of the reality of life in the twenty first century and was totally unwilling to listen. Also having been screwed by the government this year, our sons can’t get student allowance because of their father’s income last year, before they started studying, though according to the website calculator they are entitled to it I am rather grumpy about certain issues.

@thane15 aka Puro. Nice to hear from you. I hope all is well with you. Thinking of you,

Regards
    Janette

MissRori @missrori

There’s been some pretty alarming news coming out of Puerto Rico — people are drinking water from contaminated sites, the USS Comfort is just offshore ready to house patients but isn’t receiving any, they’re short millions of meals, and the President is complaining that FEMA, et.al. can’t be expected to stay there forever even though it’s only been three weeks.

“Why not just be kind?” indeed… 🙁

Hiker @hiker

Hey @missrori!

USA Midwest? What state? (unless you’d rather not say).

Our president (and by that I mean not “ours” but the current 45), is a giant (insert here worst thing you can imagine).  I’ve read in some papers he seems to have forgotten Puerto Ricans are Americans. I think he’s forgotten they are human beings. We can only hope for impeachment as 4 years of this is unsustainable.

I’ve read all the advice that people are so kindly trying to give. I’m pretty crap at advice, but it seems you can come here to get at least a bit of relief. I’m glad you volunteered that your dad is a nice guy. At least you have that. 🙂

RorySmith @rorysmith

It’s days like this that I question my ancestors’ lack of independence in the home land. No, they had to get sucked into the new world scam and then figure out how become free of taxation. Still waiting on it. 🤑

side question, what if Americans invaded parliament and overthrow them? Would it be considered liberation or revenge?

what if Americans invaded parliament and overthrow them?

You’d be politely informed that we’re perfectly capable of overthrowing our own parliament, thank you. Then we’d give you a bill for the tea. You still haven’t paid for that bloody tea. 😈

There’s a novel by Daphne Du Maurier, called Rule Britannia, that has the US invading Britain. The putative reason is Britain’s economic and military problems, caused by us leaving a common market alliance with mainland Europe. It was written in 1972, but has had a bit of a revival of late. Can’t think why. 🙂

lisa @lisa

@bluesqueakpip

I just read in the Telegraph  today that May wants to get into Nafta !   Funny  your

posting about the US invasion of Parliament  just now!

Hasn’t this been the most  grindingly dysfunctional year!

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

@lisa

Be careful of believing the Telegraph.

Just after Apil fools day, they ran a story where they claimed that the National Trust had banished mentioning Easter in the publicity for its Easter events, and also managed to get Teresa May and the Archbishop of York to make comments on the bogus story. When I checked on the National Trust’s website at the time. it was obvious that the story was fake news!! but they had managed to get the PM’s and the AoY’s comments to be rebroadcast by the BBC and possibly others

I also heard on the BBC, quoting the Telegraph’s Sport’s page that Cricket’s governing body was going to make it compulsary or test matches to be played on grounds that could be covered with roofs, I have not been able to confirm or deny this by searching the internet but I am suspecting that this is another case of Fake News.

lisa @lisa

@steve-thorp

Well  I’m surfing thru   UK  newspapers  and I’m seeing this ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-nafta-membership-donald-trump-trade-deals-eu-a7994016.html

If I was prone to crazy conspiracy theories I might say this might be some how connected to why the UK

is ready to leave the EU with no deal ???   But that’s just probably extremely wild conjecture isn’t it???

But who nose ?

@steve-thorp

The Great Easter Kerfuffle was complicated by the speed with which the National Trust changed their website – but Sky managed a before and after shot.

So not quite fake news. Poor old Cadbury was fairly embarrassed; while they’d sponsored Cadbury Egg Hunts at the National Trust/National Trust for Scotland, they’d been very careful in their own publicity to emphasise that their egg hunts were ‘at Easter’ (in fairly big letters).

@lisa

Yes, the NAFTA idea was first floated in June – the Telegraph doesn’t have any sources mentioned for its recent story, but other papers did pick it up. That probably means someone in one of the Government Departments is at least discussing it with someone in the US Government – but how seriously, nobody knows. For obvious reasons, the Telegraph generally has fairly good Tory sources (their UK nickname is ‘The Torygraph’).

One of the political gossip blogs did suggest that it might be taken reasonably seriously over in Washington – because it might get the current US President out of a hole without doing serious damage to US trade. I believe one campaign promise was to renegotiate or get rid of NAFTA? Problem is, there isn’t really that much to renegotiate, and getting rid of it would be a bit daft – but the UK wanting to join would need NAFTA to be renegotiated (to include the UK), renamed (to include the UK) and then could be presented as a shiny new deal. 😉

Politics, eh? We shall see.

lisa @lisa

@bluesqueakpip

Yes, I take your point about “shiny new deal”

The lobbyists in DC that represent cars, agriculture etc. will want some deal.

If it doesn’t happen that can easily send the stock market in some  free fall and

Mr. idiot mouth has been constantly taking  disingenuous credit for our very

bullish market!!   So I don’t think Mr. “art of the deal’  would like that deal very much!

It would be another blatant sign  of his  incompetence which is fine with his

base but not for all  the other Republicans getting reelected and btw it will be very close to

a major re election season when all this comes together.    🙂

nerys @nerys

@hiker You and I are of like mind. I too find comfort in the words of Dan Rather. At least it makes me feel I am not alone. (P.S. I’ll bet you already know a lot about being kind.)

winston @winston

@lisa and @bluesqeakpip Yes Trump has said he was going to “rip up Nafta” as the worst deal in history and that Canada has treated the US “very unfairly” and without respect.For a man who seems to demand so much respect he has very little for anyone else.
    Being Canadian what Trump says and does has great impact on my country..all the fear , frustration and disgust without even the recourse of voting him out of office.Instead we wake up,turn on the news and watch to see what foolishness Trump has tweeted and whether he has started a war. Maybe the UK can join Canada and Mexico to trade although the name would have to change.

Missy @missy

Nafta? Sounds a bit Naf to me. What a carry on.

@janetteb;

No apology required m’dear. I love a good rant myself, and it sounds as though you have just cause.

Missy

Hiker @hiker

Hey @nerys!

You’re definitely not alone. Remember more than 1/2 the voters didn’t vote for Trump. Doubt they are all thinking they should have voted for him afterall! Also feel very strongly that many who did vote for him thinking “anything but Hillary” are deeply regretting that move.

As for the ‘kind’ part, thanks for that. It’s aspirational really. Once in a while I catch myself doing something spontaneously good and think, yeah, that’s who I want to be. Then I revert to form.  I’m still the Season 8 version of me. 🙂

RorySmith @rorysmith

Oh that tea. 😂

It bothers me to no end how my ancestors threw such a fuss over tax and property that they decided to create a government that takes more tax and property.

I am a Librarian. We believe in being kind.

We are a minority.

thane15 @thane15

@rorysmith

Sounds like you don’t much believe in tax. 🙂

High taxes are necessary and have proven to work.

RorySmith @rorysmith

Taxation without representation is still a problem in the US. We have taxes on everything and then there are fees/fines for everything else. Our tax money is rarely spent on what we are told it’s supposed to be for.  The waste is unbelievable. Then there is how tax is calculated. It is not a fair or flat tax.

I pay little federal tax myself due to my income but where I live has a very high sales/duty tax and it tskes a toll on big purchases.

Tax on automobiles is insane. You pay a sales tax each time it is sold so for a used car with several owners, the amount of tax can exceed its original value.

Our newest debacle is healthcare. We pay insurance companies through taxes so they can sell insurance to high risk people. That is NOT healthcare. It only serves to make the insurance investors more wealthy. I say skip the insurance altogether and make medical care affordable and minor care free like the UK.

janetteB @janetteb

@rorysmith Free health care is available in many countries. I spent about eight weeks in hospital in Sweden two of which were in ICU and it did not cost me a krona. Australia has free health care though our moron government is doing their best to starve it out of existence. The problem here, as in many other Western countries is that the burden of tax is carried by the middle income wage earners while those who actually make the money, ie the companies pay next to no tax. Then our taxes are handed to those same tax dodging companies in subsidies etc etc. Right now our moron government is cutting company tax and raising personal tax to cover it. Urg. Another rant. It is becoming rather a habit of late..
    Cheers
    Janette
    ps yay for libraries. I just joined the local library “friends”group. Like every other vital public service Libraries need all the support they can get these days. (and who knows, I might even be able to persuade them to buy my book.)

winston @winston

@janetteb I love my library! I go once a week and borrow books and dvds, all for free. They even have all series but 9 and 10 of Doctor Who ,but they are on order.Lots of movies and TV series, books,ebooks ,audiobooks ,free wi-fi comfy chairs and air conditioning in the summer. Plus you can order books and dvds online and pick them up when they are ready.Who could ask for more?The more people use it the better their budget is for the next year so I always find some things to borrow.
    I hope they buy your book.Our library supports local authors and I hope yours does too.

winston @winston

@rorysmith My post above is for you also since you are a Librarian. We love our Librarians and yes they are kind and friendly. Also they rarely shush anyone anymore and the childrens section is just plain fun.

RorySmith @rorysmith

Lol autocorrect. Libertarian not librarian.

I work for an automotive manufacturer. I also work in a shop selling auto parts.

In the states, you can go to your physician and be sent to the nearest hospital for testing. You then get a bill from the physician, the hospital, the laboratory, the lab physician, the admiting physician and even a third party lab if it was sent for further exam. It’s a con job and it literally bankrupt me. We are searching for a full service doctor now to avoid this. Even though insurance pays or discounts these charges, you still end up with thousands in bills. A person without insurance is often charged much less. This negates the actual need for insurance at all but thanks to Obamacare you will be fined for it. This proves that large corporations run my country by enacting legislation that makes you pay them.

I would rather be a UK citizen and bring my family back to our homeland but that’s not cheap. I have actually researched it and discovered that many Americans are doing this.

thane15 @thane15

@rorysmith @janetteb

Mum and I (and also Dad) are pretty much leftists: although that’s how ‘right wingers’ would ‘label’ us.

Labels are annoying. Look how librarian went!

I kid! 🙂

I don’t like labels but I do know this: a flat tax is hopelessly regressive. One excellent thing about our country -and I know that some Americans talk about “god bless America” and “America is the freest” (when it serves as the distinction of being one of 30-odd ‘free’ countries) – is our education system which teaches economics early,  particularly from Grade 6 with compulsory learning until age 16. Our health system is marvellous. Mostly 😉

In ’95 when Mum was in hospital for a year, she was paying $65 in top health insurance a month and overall extra costs for that  year were a total of……wait for it……$1200. For a year. Including a type of sugar and fat called TPN which cost, per bag, $1600 per 12 hours. She had this for 3 weeks.

Since then all her health care has been ‘free’ but insurance has gone up to $230 a month.

I don’t have any and even though I’ve had 5 operations, several visits to the dentists, a doctor or  chiro visit every week, in the last 6 months I’ve only spent $125! (for the chiro).

Our taxes should be very high. Anyone earning over $125 000 a  yr should pay a top tax and we do. People earning barely $50 000 with a family of 4 (2 kids…) should pay a lot less. And they do.

Most people I know don’t use the argument “user pays” although on the Q&A programme I see the YoungLiberals (here they’re conservatives) saying just that. If you pay for private education why should you pay tax for public or state schools. Or, why should you pay for Mum’s health thru their taxes when they and their families are fine?

Thing is, they aren’t always going to be fine. They will marry and their spouse will get sick. Or their child will need treatment. Pure bad luck.

Then there’s the attitude of “my family comes first” which is probably why some people would think I’m  communist. Family groups are terrific but they’re not always democratic -they’re little groups with one/two people ‘heading it’ with rules not always connecting with other groupings. So, I guess I’d say democracy and groups of people -ALL people come before families which might strike others as odd.

With what you were saying about Obamacare , I can sympathise. We’ve done a lot of reading about the  compromises made by the Dems in order to placate the Republicans of which Ulysses Grant, Theodore Roosevelt  and Abe Lincoln wouldn’t be proud. And some health care is awful in America -people WITH insurance are totally screwed (pardon my bad language) and  having looked at the French, Swedish  and Norwegian models over the past three years they have some terrific policies.

Here teachers and nurses get 10 sick days a year but in Sweden they get as many as is necessary. By taking away pay when you’re sick alarms  shriek: you stop buying things you ordinarily would (cheap milk so the Australian farmers are screwed); any and all so-called luxuries are banned for that time in the household which has a domino effect.

One person once said to mum “my health plan in America is pretty good. If I don’t get too sick I don’t need to use the deductibles and so staying away from hospital means my health plan is good.”

Uh Huhn. So not getting sick is the answer to a good health care system! 🙂

@janetteb has  it right with how our government (one which many early conservatives like PM Malcolm Fraser say is  terribly right wing almost equal to that of the United States) is taxing the poor and taxing the items which most middle class people won’t buy. Items like jaguars and mink or leather jackets are free from GST.  Which is ironic as only the top 0.01 % of the population buy these luxury brands.

I think what Obama wanted was hugely different to what he got and that’s a shame.  Without helping others there’s really no point. There’s no point to living, actually, coz what’s it all for otherwise?

“Where I stand is where I fall. Stand with me.”

The Doctor’s advice is awesome as ever!

I don’t think large corporations enact legislation exactly? But I can see that Big Tobacco, Pharm and Oil have enormous pull. If  only voting was compulsory it would be a tiny but necessary step for real change -but money talks, that’s f’sure. 🙁

Cheers to y’all, Thane.

RorySmith @rorysmith

@Thane 15 Very well stated. I agree with you and many years ago I would not have.  I still have some values that would be labeled conservative but as you said, lables are a problem. That is an understatement with politics and race topping that as a problem. We have been raised in a propaganda culture where pride in country is blind to the achievements of other nations and the mistakes of our own. I only woke to this revelation in the last few years. Now back to healthcare. Big pharm has a huge grip on our government. They donated $500 million to the DEA to combat canibis production. This has been proven fact. Police have recently gone crazy trying to find and prosecute anyone suspected of having it. Oh and our police, what you hear about that is true. They have always been this bad but the fact everyone has a camera in hand these days has made it more transparent.

I don’t normally enjoy discussion of these topics but with you guys it is different. Thoughtful and intelligent conversation is rare these days.

Viewing 43 posts - 751 through 793 (of 793 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.