The Maldovarium

Home Forums General The Maldovarium

This topic contains 890 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  janetteB 2 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 891 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig

Sorry to hear it – obviously, I hope it turns out to be the promotion. Best wishes.

Given the number of writers we have on here: is anyone else bonkers enough to be doing NaNoWriMo this year?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig

fingers crossed

@bluesqueakpip

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year? (Or have you done it before?)

@wolfweed

Yes, I’m doing NaNoWriMo this year. No, I haven’t done it before. I’ve got an idea that’s been running through my head for years, and I’m hoping that a deadline and online community might be the stimulus to take it from ‘in my head’ to ‘first draft on page’.

Do you have a Doctor Who gif for running around in circles panicking? Because it might come in useful. 😯

Whisht @whisht

Good luck @craig – whichever way it pans out, I hope the change is a great opportunity.

Whisht @whisht

hey @bluesqueakpip – good luck with that!

And thanks – I’d never heard of NaNoWriMo before (had to google it) but may just send the ‘pep talks’ link to a friend who wants to be a writer, but is struggling with a bit of a ‘block’ at the moment.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip-

good luck with NaNoWriMo — always meant to have a go myself. Maybe next year…. Hope it goes well….

wolfweed @wolfweed
    MissRori @missrori

@bluesqueakpip  Good luck on NaNoWriMo.  I tried it 10 years ago.  Finished it, though the work wasn’t any good.  😉

@wolfweed – perfect, as ever.

@whisht, @jimthefish, @missrori

Thanks for your good wishes. I’ll have to see if the draft is any good on November 30th. 🙂

MissRori @missrori

It might be fun to try NaNoWriMo again, but November is going to be busy for me, and not just because of the Chicago TARDIS convention on Thanksgiving weekend!  It feels like my life is just the downtime between conventions these days… 😉

In case anyone is wondering, I did find there are some music therapists in my area, but I don’t know how to get to and from without my parents, and they do not think my concerns are valid enough to seek therapy.  And for some reason there aren’t any online-only arrangements I could do from home.  I’ve also checked up on activities at the local library, but none of them pique my interest, and I had an unhappy experience trying a book club a few years ago.  (It’s no fun for a conversation to take a turn into getting lectured as to why the internment of Japanese-Americans in WWII was a good thing…)

According to my mother, I am too naive and too unwilling to see the truth about the world; as she sees it being kind is often more trouble than it’s worth, and this I think is what drives the wedge between us.  As she sees it, good people in power are being unfairly maligned by the sore losers and layabouts of the world, who are all too sensitive about every little thing.   I don’t know how to shift her way of thinking, but how can I shift mine to at least not mind what she says so much?

Anonymous @

@missrori

See, this is where you and I differ. You obv hve $$ for conventions and panels and yet don’t have the $$ to spend on finding a decent job or seeing  a music therapist. No, they don’t do online stuff you have to be present -face to face – or music therapy doesn’t work. Also, they determine whether they can help you.

It’s hard to help you actually. Saying you had  a bad experience in a book club ages ago doesn’t mean you will now.

Also you say you’re dad is really sweet. So, listen to him and not your mother.

Done and dusted. You need to be positive. And see if you can make friends with the panel visitors and convention people -pen pals, facebook -lots and lots of  options.

Thane

MissRori @missrori

@thane15 Hi Thane.  I would be able to scrounge up money for music therapy, I think.  But with Mom around that’s just not an option if it has to be face to face.  Dad is a good man, but he does tend to defer to her in matters like this, and like her he doesn’t understand why I am not wholly on board with The Way We Live Now.  He is much kinder about it, however.  😉

One of the key reasons I go to conventions upstate (about 3 times a year at this point, if you’re wondering — only so much time I can take off from work) is socializing.  While it’s hard to make lasting connections at those things I have baited my hook and made a few friends this way, and we keep that up in the online world.  I’m not hurting for FB friends and pen pals; I’ve had one snail mail pen pal for 20 years now.  😀

The downside is that Mom believes it’s talking with people online that’s brainwashed me into not supporting Trump and company.   Her attitude has really become poisonous, and it’s a shame.   If I could figure out a way to fix that, a lot of stuff would follow…but until then I just have to avoid her as much as possible.   😉  Thank you for checking in.

@missrori

You can’t. Fix other people, I mean. They can only fix themselves, and you can only fix yourself.

Glad to know you’ve been looking into stuff; that’s the first step. If you keep looking, something will come up. Which sounds a bit ‘if you build it, they will come’, but I’ve found that it’s often the way things work – and the route to get there is often not the one you thought it would be.

Anonymous @

@missrori

Oh, I see, I understand this a bit better now. Thank you for explaining it all to me -sorry if I was abrupt before it was silly but I’m tired from school stuff.

I think as @bluesqueakpip says you can’t really ask people why they are the way they are? Nor can you fix them. But yes fixing yourself is the thing you are in charge of and if good internet sites help to make you feel connected with like-minded people then that’s awesome and others (Ie your mom) doesn’t need to know. Ssh! I won’t tell 😀

This is also true -a route opens to answer a question when you don’t even know a route is there! Sometimes it’s waiting for the right “season” -I know it sounds biblical but it’s not quite what I mean (altho it could be). You may find, after a while, that those pen pals will be real authentic friends or mates & that’s priceless. Still, as you say, you can’t diss family because you might need them again. I guess I’m glad I enjoy my mum and dad’s friendship and so it makes me unhappy you can’t have that with both your parents: what about brothers? You close to them?

So yes, like Pip says keep looking : try that library book thing. Go and do some acitivites at the local high school in the evening; see a poetry class; join a web site for Democrats maybe? You won’t feel alone. Your ideas aren’t the minority you know -most share them.

Best of luck. Take care.

From Thane

MissRori @missrori

Hello out there!

I’ve been really troubled by the U.S.-North Korea situation of late.  I don’t relish the possibility of nuclear war, but no one in the papers, etc. seems especially optimistic that this situation can be solved without bloodshed. Why is this?  Why would there be a war so sadistic and destructive?  No one could live with themselves afterwards, after all.

Can someone give me some encouraging thoughts to keep in mind right now?  🙂

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip:  You can’t. Fix other people, I mean. They can only fix themselves, and you can only fix yourself.

Spontonski. You can’t.

@missrori:

This is going to sound flippant and perhaps it is. However, if there is a nuclear war, there won’t be anyone left to try to live with themselves. I endeavour  not to think about it, it only spoils the life I’ve got left. Stop worrying about it, life is too short, whilst you are getting all upset about the future, you are missing out on the present.

Badly put, but I think you get the message.

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy @missrori

I wasn’t going to say anything, I’m urging you however to do what Missy says. If you follow politics (and I do) and you understand the concept of MAD then I wouldn’t worry about it. Worry instead about whole countries falling into the sea because of global warming or terrorism…

There you go!

Thane

MissRori @missrori

@missy @thane15  Thanks for trying to help.  Since I last wrote there’s been another mass shooting in my country.  It’s pretty clear that the powers-that-be would rather bodies be stacked up like cordwood instead of trying to undo the power of the gun lobby.  I’ve signed petitions, sent postcards to my representatives, and nothing gets done.

I’m trying to be like the Doctor and be kind, and it doesn’t work… 🙁

Missy @missy

@missrori:   I’m trying to be like the Doctor and be kind, and it doesn’t work… 🙁

Oh but it does. You retain your self respect, and put unkind people to shame. They may not realise this, but other people will.

Try to be your good self, the power is with you.

Thanks for trying to help. 

Not at all, it doesn’t cost much does it. *big smile*

Missy

RorySmith @rorysmith

We had facilities that catered to mental health but over the years they started to change to drug treatment because that is where the money was. My Daughter had problems and we had to fight to find help for her. They have shut down so many mental health facilities that it almost makes you wonder what the elite want control of.

MissRori @missrori

It’s been yet another rough week for the news in my country; even entertainment reporting has gone gruesome.  It’s really hard to find positive stories worth taking heart in.  Having no one to talk to offline about all this, I’m not sure how to cope; it’s hard to just count blessings when you know others don’t have ‘em.  Any help out there?  🙁

@missrori

The news is negatively biased

Print that out, place it on the top of your laptop (or whatever you’re using to access the news). And do try taking a break from the news cycle if it’s getting you down – or if you can’t bear to do that, try limiting your access. You want proof that the news is negatively biased? The way that you’re having difficulty finding positive news stories is a good indicator.

Yeah, there’s a witch-hunt on at the moment in Entertainment and UK politics, and it’s a bit gruesome. Like most witch-hunts, there’s a lot of score-settling going on. It’s especially depressing because we entertainers are the clowns of society; our job is to let people escape for a while from the real world.

In case you haven’t found them, the BBC does a weekly video compilation of the ‘… and finally’ Happy news’ slots. Google BBC Happy News. Also try https://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news and https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

I would also say that there’s times you just have to follow one good bit of advice: ‘one day’s evil is enough to deal with’. Tackle the things you CAN do something about, and try not to worry about the things you can’t.

Stay strong. 🙂

MissRori @missrori

@bluesqueakpip Heh, I visited Good News Network before I read your message.  I’m not as moved by animal-based stories as others, but even so.  😉  Didn’t know the BBC was committed to good news.  Good for them.

I know about bias — if it bleeds it leads — but when even entertainment news is mostly about who’s pressing charges it’s especially grim.  Sad to say I’m not surprised/skeptical about some of the guys getting in trouble now, either.  They didn’t have great reputations as it was and were well known just for being jerks.  Even late night shows are having trouble poking fun at these scandals because the hosts are running out of guests, some of whom have been colleagues for years.

Combine that with a poor year for hit movies and whatnot and there’s not much else to discuss. No one cares about the DW Xmas show on the chat shows!  😉 Anyway I’ll try to keep your advice in mind.  Thank you.

Missy @missy

Hmm!  I didn’t know where to post this, there isn’t a radio thread.

I would have mentioned somewhere that I listen to BBC Radio four Extra regularly. Just for a change from crime/horror/supernatural etcetera, I tuned into Documentaries just now and this is what I heard.

Five Meet to Make Up Myths.

The five are, Conan Doyle, R.L Stevenson, Bram Stoker, Oscar Wilde and JM Barrie.

Very, very interesting so I dedided to share it with you.

Missy

Missy @missy

@thane15:

A VERY HAPPY 16th BIRTHDAY THANE.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy   Thanks for the reminder — Happy birthday, Thane!

And thanks for the 5 Meet as well — I can get BBC Radio four on my computer!  I think I did once, anyway.

Happy 16th Birthday, Thane!

One tiny piece of good news: I’m now a NaNoWriMo Winner. That is, I’ve managed to write 50,376 words during November. 😉

And I have reached ‘The End’ on my first draft. And it looks okay; needs a lot of work, obviously, especially since I seem to have outlined several scenes rather than writing them and other scenes are in entirely the wrong place…

… but there’s the bones of a novel there.

😀

janetteB @janetteb

Well done @bluesqueakpip both on getting the draft done and on being a winner. I takes me considerably longer than one month to write that many words. I am currently editing a bio, (the one that has inspired the research into Ayrshire history) and have covered about two pages in the last month but this time I year I am usually busy doing other things and writing goes on the back burner until January. I try to stick to my “write something if it is only one line a day” rule but some days have even failed at that which is shameful.

cheers
    Janette

winston @winston

Happy Birthday Thane!! Oh, to be 16 again……

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

Not at all, you should be able to. I typed BBC Radio 4 Extra onto google and up it came. Then I bookmarked it.

If you can find it, do try TRACKS: starring Romala Garai. It’s under DRAMA, 5/6 episodes I think.
    >Tracks: The Nervus Vagus – Romola Garai
    The story of a brittle doctor attending to a mysterious plane crash is instantly compelling – and it’s only just getting started.

Romola played Bel in The Hour.

I’ve heard it twice.

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Belated Happy Birthday, @thane15 !

awe

Congrats @bluesqueakpip on sticking it out with NaNoWriMo…

thane16 @thane16

@wolfweed @missy @bluesqueakpip @ichabod @cathannabel @winston  & others

Aw shucks that was awfully decent of you!

Yes, I am now 16. And my acne has really set in. On a positive note, my hair is turning curly and I’m taller.

Thank you  :\

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16

Congratulations on the upgrade and on successful navigation of another year!     Sorry about the acne, but it does tend to go with the territory –  and with any luck is a short lived phase :-;

janetteB @janetteb

Happy Birthday @thane16 You almost caught me out with the updated username. I wondered where thane15 had gone. Glad you are back with us..

there is no avoiding teenage acne but avoiding any foods with antioxidants (e300 numbers) might help. They still play havoc with my skin and I did notice an effect on our sons when they were your age. The good news is that hot chips, plain crisps and chocolate are fine despite what people say, bad news is that almost any other processed food is not fine. I have been forced to cook far more than I would like because I can’t simply buy “off the shelf” products.

Cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@bluesqueakpip  Hurray for the bones of novel!  Congratulations!

@thane16  my hair is turning curly and I’m taller.

Thank goodness!  It would be a problem if your hair were taller and you were turning curly.

I am feeling frisky today because a) my asthma is letting up, and turns out to be the cause of all this g.d. sleeping I’ve been doing for this past year (at all hours, and resistance is futile).  And last night I was invited to do a lecture in an English lit class as a visiting local writer (they’d been reading vampire stories, my own among them), and had a great time provocateur-ing and showing off (well, a bit), gave (and got) some good advice, and went back this a.m. for the jacket I’d left behind and it was still there!  Phew.  Lucky.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@thane16 Happy Birthday Thane! Sorry about the acne, there’s really nothing for that but to avoid greasy foods and stress. Good about the hair though, mine just gets frizzy. Hope you have a great birthday.

Missy @missy

@thane16:

It’s unfair isn’t it. Acne is so inconvenient, but it does go away eventually. It’s always puzzled me, why some get it and

some don’t. I didn’t, my husband didn’t, and none of our children did.

Did you have a splendiferous cake?  With icing? And marzipan – depending on the cake of course?

Missy

winston @winston

@ichabod Cogratulations on getting your frisky back! It must be exciting to guest lecture and then discuss your work with others.
    @thane16 Curly hair is good and I should know, being tall is great (although I am not personally aquainted with it) and acne goes away although it sucks till it does. Have a wonderful year!

Missy @missy

Add my name to both the above.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

I feel as though it is a futile gesture, what with the most powerful nation on earth being run by a fruit posing as a human and failing badly in the attempt and so many other nations, like our own being run by witless fools, the planet beginning to fry and those who have the power to deal with it sticking their fingers in their ears and humming so loudly it is deafening but I am going to say it all the same;

HAPPY NEW YEAR. May 2018 be the year it all starts to get better.

From 2018 best wishes to all..

Cheers
    Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb

Beautifully put (sometimes the real world seems more surreal and fantastical than Doctor Who), and thanks for the words of hope.

HAPPY NEW YEAR. May 2018 be the year it all starts to get better.

I second that.

Cheers to all on the DWF. Lang may yer lums reek*, as we say in my little corner of the northern hemisphere of the blue planet.

Yay!! We’re in the Pub… and the drinks are FREEEEE 😉

Image result for doctor who themed drinks photos

*TARDIS translation circuits: Long may your chimneys smoke… WTF??! (TARDIS explodes)

Image result for exploding tardis

Mudlark @mudlark

It is now 8.37 in the evening here, and those of you in the Antipodes will already have seen the New Year in some time ago, while those across the pond still have a while to wait.  I have already started on the champagne (solitary drinking, tut, tut!), so the pub seems the appropriate place to wish everyone on the D W Forum all the very best for 2018.  At the moment it may not appear as if there is much to be optimistic about, but I echo @janetteb ‘s sentiments; may this coming year be the year it starts to get better.  And as @scaryb says

the drinks are FREEEEE

and life can sometimes look better through the bottom of a glass

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@thane16

hi Thane and Puro,

Well as an alternative (antidote?) to The Bill, I highly recommend the episode of The Comic Strip presents  “Detectives on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown”. It is a stunningly brilliant  satire of the police shows of the 70s, compared to the police shows of the 80s and 90s, like, well…The Bill, where the episode ends.

A 5 star recommendation.

thane16 @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

thanks for that! Will check that out.

Thane

To those who followed the long-running Buffy threads and blogs, Elize Dushku needs no introduction. But she was also a child star before that. She posted this today. It is about the most horrific thing you will read any time soon.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialElizaDushku/posts/1769957739689557

XAD4 @xad4

Hey @pedant and @thane16 (Puro)

Maya is (probably) back at Manton Bay. 🙂

@xad4 @thane16

Indeed – that is very early.

Those of you who have followed the Dyfi Ospreys may like to know that they are running their annual camera appeal. It’s costs £20,000 a year to keep the camera running, so if you have some spare shekels to chuck in the pot it will be well spent. If you are a UK tax payer you can Gift Aid it.

thane16 @thane16

@xad4  @pedant

That’s awesome! Mum loves those ospreys and I really liked just sitting there, last winter (here) and holding a hot chocolate listening to the wind and the birds and watching them fly about.

Thanks @pedant and @bluesqueakpip for your advice and ideas about identity. The teacher said I could use John Searle to support my thesis about whether Jack is ‘still’ Jack and I think Searle is great! He may not share my views (or I should say me sharing his?) but he’s really dynamic and energetic. Sometimes its hard to follow exactly what he’s saying so I have to go to Mum or Wikipedia. 🙂

I’ll let mum know about Osprey.

Than0.

Viewing 50 posts - 801 through 850 (of 891 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.