The Rose & Crown

Home Forums General The Rose & Crown

This topic contains 990 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@whisht and @janetteb  I think in Australia we say “let’s hook up” quite a bit? But it doesn’t mean “let’s  have a quickie on the boss’ desk” or “after I buy you dinner and cocktails [no pun intended] we’ll hook up [followed by sleazy smile with eyes roaming to an ample décolletage]” . It just means “let’s have a latte”.

I DO love this stuff, there are literally dozens of books which discuss the pitfalls of American English and the Oz kind. Better, are those which analyse the sticky situations arising whereupon one crosses the QLD border.

One more day to go, folks, and then holidays!!! Yeaaaah. I might stay up and watch soccer LIVE!  Much better than taping it ‘for later’. I cannot believe the USA’s ‘luck’ and their set plays. Do you think the US could lose at something, sometime??? Kindest, purofilion

janetteB @janetteb

@purofilion “Going to the footy on a Saturday arvo with an esky fill of tinnies” used to be a favourite to confuse the Brits when I was in the Uk (I have never even been to a “footy match” let alone with an esky full of tinnies but it always raised a few eyebrows.) I was discussing a couple of Victorian slangs terms recently, to “snib” the door and spoutings around the house. No wonder I couldn’t get my South Australian partner to clean the “spoutings”.

A few years ago my son was given a set of books on Aussie slang and it’s origins which I read cover to cover. Language and how it develops is fascinating.

Enjoy your holidays. My sons finish up tomorrow too. The eldest is heading over to Yorke Peninsula on a fishing trip with friends so I am doing the full, “anxious Mum” thing at the moment.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

Cheers everyone!

@rob – hope the walking’s still going well and you haven’t rusted up completely.

Oooh, and I’ve just noticed we’ve got a counter on the front page! Oh my heartses, too much excitement (thanks @craig)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I think the sixth Doctor may have had a hand in designing the Scottish Commonwealth Games team’s kit. My eyes!

Horrible kit

Anonymous @

@craig — I do know what you mean but I think I must be the only person in the world who kind of likes it… at least it shows we’ve got a sense of humour…. 😉 We should just count ourselves lucky that Capaldi’s Doc didn’t go for something like this.

Mind you, it does remind me of the kind of thing an old music teacher of mine used to wear….

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish I love the implications of the Aussie kit. “We’re going to Scotland in the Summer – get the jumpers, scarves and raincoats out”

Aussie kit

Anonymous @

@craig — it’s almost as if there’s some kind of bizarre ‘I can design a weirder kit than you’ contest going on….

I do like the jumpers though. They have a kind of 1980s knitting pattern vibe to them….

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig, @jimthefish

Actually, I thought the outfit of the tall Australian with the scarf had a sort of “Tegan flight attendent” air to it.

Actually, is there a bit of Jamie in the Scottish outfits? After all, his time with the second Doctor was in black and white. Who knows what it may have been in colour?

One wonders if we could match a companion to each team. Of course, that might mean that one country has sent their atheletes as Adric. Or Leela?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave I love that idea. And your adopted coutry has actually gone a bit Adric I’m afraid (or maybe it’s just boring tracksuit), although we may be able to find better.

Canada kit

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish

I think I must be the only person in the world who kind of likes it

I think you might be 🙂 Or at least the 8% who voted it a hit in recent STV poll.

My favourite comment on it so far – “made in Scotland, from curtains”

(or we’re just trying to dazzle the opposition before we hit the tracks!)

Doctor Who themed cossies – love it!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb I read that one out… “Made in Scotland, from curtains”… in my office in England, in full-on Scottish accent, and they all burst out laughing. It’s my favourite too.

For those who’ve no idea why that’s funny,  Irn Bru (the drink) had the strapline “Made in Scotland, from girders” for many, many years. I think they had to drop it eventually under EU regulations because it isn’t actually made from girders (although that may be apocryphal).

ScaryB @scaryb

Chuckles.

@craig @jimthefish – been trying to think what else the Aussie cossies remind me of.  Great call from @blenkinsopthebrave on the Tegan look… but also this –

Anonymous @

@scaryb — yes, they do look like the Kick Ass costume. That’s excellent….

Anonymous @

@jimthefish @scaryb @blenkinsopthebrave  our Aussie teams have always been a reassuring constant: kitted out in the oddest ‘costumes’ -some sci-fi in ‘inspiration’. Everyone knows “We are Aus-tra-li-an” [feel free to hum along] and thus we’re sold green and gold, and, for a change, Drizabone ‘outfits’ in beige, mud brown, dirt colour (or for designers, should I write ‘earth’ or ‘earth textured’?) and off-white   – well, ‘off’ anyway  🙂 Pity, we have the greatest colour palette here (can’t believe I just used that word) due to the opal fields, aqua blues in the northern oceans, tropical fish and skies, ‘The Colour of Heaven’ (great book btw).

Still, at the end of the next Games, it will be green/gold polyester with some dark brown or Mission Brown ‘piping’. Grief, too many designer-style words in these paragraphs. I shall not live it down.

Kindest, puro.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Sorry, I can’t talk about the Scottish team’s parade kit. I just can’t. 😉

But, if anyone else is thinking of going to Loncon 3, the World Science Fiction Convention(Thursday 14th to Monday 18th August, at the ExCel), the Observer is running a competition with two free 5 day passes as the prize.

Weird costumes will be available.
    masquerade

wolfweed @wolfweed

Oh dear, this may be the collapse of civilisation as we know it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/video/video-in-australia-the-end-of-shiraz-as-we-know-it/article1958371

There is only one answer. To drink it while it is still available, and accordingly, I am about to go down to the Blenkinsop cellar.

ScaryB @scaryb

Broadsword @rob

Is the walking still going on? Hope you have a successful weekend and neither melt in the heat or get rusted up in rain!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

It seems it may not just the BBC that are terrible at keeping secrets. It may help Steven Moffat sleep easier to know JJ Abrams has the same problems. The plot of the new Star Wars movie may have been leaked (although is unconfirmed so could be a fake).

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jul/21/star-wars-episode-7-plot-details-suffer-unconfirmed-leak

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig
    The answer is simple – as Moffat says in this video, all that’s required is the destruction of the internet…

Anonymous @

Bar-keep, a bottle of Witch Prime for everyone please.

I’ve been accepted on a six week Horticulture/Landscaping course at Birmingham Botanical Gardens.

I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much but if I pass the course, there may be a job at the end of it. 😎

@fatmaninabox – yay, you! Though I’ll have to go for the Third Doctor’s nice little wine from The Day of the Daleks.

Here’s to the job prospects. 🙂

As the Commonwealth Games kick off in Glasgow, it made me wonder if the Scottish uniforms this year (#28847) were an aberration. In the basis of this photo of the 1998 uniforms, not so much an aberration after all. Yikes!

Mind you, the country of my birth has fared no better. The Australian outfits for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Oh dear!

This is not the only reason I emigrated, of course…

Whisht @whisht

@fatmaninabox – fantastic news!

Hope you enjoy the course and in fact – that’s the main thing! Just enjoy the course.

Anything else “is just jam”.

well done!

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox  I also congratulate you! Doing a course in a UK filled with splendiferous flowers, bulbs and gorgeous winter trees  is the epitome of perfection (if perfection can have an epitome). I hire a landscaper once a year to help with my ‘cottage’ garden and, initially, he made over an area filled with only native  flora -which God (or the Doctor) help me I found totally boring. So, he laid stones in different tones, popped lettuces and tomatoes in between the petunias, and every Winter (by Spring it’s too hot), it’s a riot of colour. Also, he makes a damn good living from it- from the labour and the designing of exquisite patterns for arbours and what-not. Here’s to you!

@blenkinsopthebrave I echo your comments about the ‘costumes’ -actually you can hear the colours! The lady in the long shorts is particularly fetching.

Kindest, purofilion

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

Great news, and I’ll weild a tipple in your direction on Friday, if I may. Will you be @fatmaninaseedbox if this all goes your way? 😀

@blenkinsopthebrave

Don’t those fine costumes fill everyone with patriotic pride!

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @whisht @Purofilion @phaseshift

Cheers!

Whether I get a job at the end of it or not, I’m just glad to be getting out of the flat. And it’ll be something I can put on my poor, much neglected CV 🙂

PS – fatmaninaseedbox 😆

janetteB @janetteb

@fatmaninabox . Best of luck with the course and I hope it ends in a job.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

Big hi fives* to @fatmaninabox (aka fatmaninaseedbox 😀 )

Well done you, that’s brilliant. And just the weather for it

*oops… that might be a bit difficult, you being just a head n all 😳

wolfweed @wolfweed

@fatmaninabox  Enjoy the course. Thanks for the Witch Prime (Lovely label). Cheers!

z

Anonymous @

@scaryb

And just the weather for it

Sadly, I think I’ll be stuck in the Tropical/Sub-Tropical/Arid Glasshouses for most of the time (where it’ll be even hotter than it is now) and, fingers crossed, their wonderful butterfly house which is full of pretty, flappy things 🙂

@wolfweed – That’s got to be the scariest pic of an Ood I’ve ever seen. 😮

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

@fatmaninabox

Put Timelord@thedoctorwhoforum at the top of your CV

You have lots of good references here.

Anonymous @

@toinfinityandbepond – Aww, thanks 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@juniperfish @bluesqueakpip

Tunnock’s teacakes sales ‘soar’

They say it has something to do with the games. I think people read here that it may be the new Doctor’s snack of choice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28499415

Tunnocks tea cakes

Anonymous @

Hi all. I thought I’d ask this of the Forum first before checking Google. Master & Mr Ilion are thinking of a two week trip in December to visit family -and maybe catch an Arsenal or Tottenham football game- and friends. Due to my Crohns Disease (and also how horribly exy it is to fly from Brisbane to London), I’ll probably stay home and swelter instead.

Question:  is there a permanent Doctor Who museum in London? Rather than a little shop of goods/ saleable items  (but I “love a little shop”).

Does  the wax museum in London have any Doctors?

They’ll be staying with family in Brentwood so tripping into town will be arduous  with only a couple of day trips planned. Is rain/wind the motif? I haven’t been to London myself at that time of year. The latest was early October and, surprisingly, it was warm with lovely views as the sky was clear.  At that point The London Eye wasn’t built – I haven’t been in it myself (the days in town happened to be grim but queues were large):  is it worth the trouble?

Thanking you in anticipation 🙂

purofilion

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@fatmaninabox Been meaning to congratulate you. So…, many congratulations!

If I can help in any way am happy to. You’ve been a fantastic support here. Just for example, if they have a terrible website, or if they don’t have one at all, I can do them one based on WordPress (for free to you, Sir) and, of course, you’ll be the only one who really knows how to update it. Full time job is probably a shoo-in after that.

I do mean it. Best of luck my friend 😉

@fatmaninabox

Have you had your first class in the Glasshouse yet?

Whisht @whisht

@Purofilion – really sorry to hear that the Crohns will keep you from travelling later in the year. Hope its not too bad at present.
    December’s unpredictable (as is all English weather!). Best for them to pack for rain and sunshine!
    As for footy, sounds like a divided household if there’s a Spurs fan and an Arsenal fan!
    There’s a couple of possible matches but not cheap. There may be a Capital One Cup match around 17th December (if either team are still in it at that point), but it will include some ‘B’/youth team members (its not a major competition and used to give some fringe players some playing time).

Anonymous @

Well, that’s day one of Practical Horticulture Skills out of the way. It was a short day today, no training – just a bit of admin, the usual do’s ‘n’ don’ts and a tour around the gardens. And what cracking weather for it. Got a very slight case of sunburn (forget to put sunblock on 😳 )

Arid House – hot. Sub-tropical – a bit hotter. Tropical – ouch! It was like being in a steam-room causing my glasses to fog up. Had lot’s of fun eating a variety of edible flowers that tasted a bit like Oyster Mushrooms.

The highlight of the day, though, was the butterfly house.

Oh, and it’s only a 10 minute walk from my flat 😀

@craig – thanks for the offer 🙂 They do have a web site but I’ve told them if they’re looking to redesign it, I know a man who can.

@blenkinsopthebrave – Miriam Margolyes pottering around the Glasshouses would have been the cherry on the icing on the cake of what has been a brilliant day 🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@fatmaninabox Sounds like a great day. I stared at a screen all day, well except when I was failing to get any good results from a new steadicam we’ve bought to try and improve our videos. It’s really hard!

I checked out the website and it’s pretty good so they probably don’t need me. However it’s also, you may be pleased to hear, built on WordPress. So you can chalk up one transferrable skill that may come in handy 😀

Anonymous @

Congrats btw @fatmaninabox — hope it’s heaps of fun and results in a job….

@fatmaninabox – and offer to correct their misplaced apostrophe on the front page. Or possibly don’t – depends whether you want an early reputation as a grammar pedant. 🙂

The only one of its kind, not the only one of it’s kind.

Its is the possessive, it’s is only ever a contraction for ‘it is’.

[Blame Michael Gove for my now near obsessive knowledge of the finer points of English grammar]

Arbutus @arbutus

@bluesqueakpip, @fatmaninabox

Oh, dear. I’m sorry, but that is a mistake that jumps out at me. I have spent several years training my son out of it, it just makes people look like functional illiterates to me. I guess that makes me a grammar pedant? I prefer “grammar geek”.   🙄

FatMan, that sounds like a lovely way to spend your days. Congrats and enjoy!

Whisht @whisht

excellent to hear the first day went well @fatmaninabox !

You do know of course that you could easily have a series on BBC or Channel 4 themed around Fat Man in a… for a couple of series at least?

Fat Man in a Seedbox, Fat Man in a Shed, Fat Man in a Hothouse… you could get Simon Fisher-Becker to guest or provide ‘expert’ advice (on stuff he knows nothing about)… as a head in a box.

Hm, methinks I’d better stop while I’m not a head.

😉

Anonymous @

@craig – you have my sympathies. I worked in Admin for almost 20 years staring at spreadsheets & databases and dealing with phone calls from unnecessarily rude customers. I pray to (insert deity of choice here) that I never have to do it again.

@bluesqueakpip @arbutus – I don’t think you’d enjoy coming to Birmingham then. A few years ago, the Council decided to do away with apostrophes from street names – St Paul’s Square is now St Pauls Square. I’m tempted to go around with a tin of black paint putting them back in 🙂

Arbutus – Grammar Dalek is probably more appropriate for this site 🙂

@whisht – I’ll add Fat Man in Intensive Care to that list as I’ve got a bit of a dodgy tummy today. That’ll teach me to eat flowers 🙂

Anonymous @

[limps into pub] – Oh, my poor, aching feet!

That’s just my left foot. The one’s on the right foot are just too hideous to show. 😮

Sorry if it’s put anyone off their breakfast 😈

wolfweed @wolfweed

@fatmaninabox   Looks like you might have to get around and about like this for a couple of days…

z

‘This way’

‘Negative! This way!’

Arbutus @arbutus

@fatmaninabox     Fat Man In A Foot Spa?

You have my sympathy. We are used to doing more of our work in a seated position have a hard time when we suddenly have to spend all day on our feet! But cheer up, my son tells me that our life expectancy actually goes up according to how much time we spend standing up.  🙂

@fatmaninabox – owww!

Plasters, especially since they’ve burst. If they’re weeping, hydrocolloid plasters are supposed to be really good. The plaster turns the weeping ooze into a sort of gel thing and you leave them on for three to five days. Make sure the plaster selected is big enough to cover the whole oozy bit.

This being a Doctor Who site I expect an alien will burst out of the plaster on the fifth day – but your blisters will have healed. 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 991 total)

The topic ‘The Rose & Crown’ is closed to new replies.