The Rose & Crown

Home Forums General The Rose & Crown

This topic contains 990 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

This being a Doctor Who site I expect an alien will burst out of the plaster on the fifth day…

You mean like this little chap? It’s a distant relation of the Adipose, called an Aditoes 😀

I’d get my coat but I didn’t wear one. Too hot!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

What ho!

I don’t know if anyone got any rain on Friday, but Barnsley was hit by a monsoon mid afternoon as I was travelling back on Friday. As I was public transporting it, I made a diversion to pick up some supplies, and the heavens opened. Haven’t see it rain so hard for such a duration in my life.

I went back to the Interchange (which is a very nice PFI building that replaced a monstrous carbuncle of an area which traditionally greeted visitors to Barnsley). It normally looks like this:

It was chaos. Water was gushing in from multiple points, through light fittings. The floor was awash with water and about three – four inches deep in places. The seating areas had to be evacuated on advice from the fire service who were concerned “the roof would come down”. We were shepherded into an area below a bridge “for our safety” which would have provided negligible protection.

You’re standing in inches of water, in a building, and suddenly aware your boots aren’t that watertight. You start to fear trenchfoot. I paint this picture just so you can imagine the absurdity of what came next. A young chap, no older than 18 has obviously been told by the management to do something proactive. He has one of those push cleaning units that shines the floor and can suck up water. The tank is obviously only about 25 litres and he’s pushing it along. Everyone starts to laugh, because it’s an insane proposition. He gets very red faced and continues to defiantly push his little watersucker through torrents of water. This obviously makes the crowd laugh even harder. The likelihood is, his device couldn’t keep up with the tears of laughter being produced. Despite all the catastrophe of my day I was still laughing when I got home two hours later.

Moral of the story – PFI contracts, no matter how lovely looking, are a long term waste of money when an innovative design is implemented by contractors who are awarded it on cost. I.e. “How many corners can we cut”. An abomination.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift I am feeling your pain. A number of years ago, when bro- Ilion was being introduced into his new geology lab in Sydney, he discovered to his amazement that whilst OHS (safety guidelines) had demanded a shower facility in case some chemicals went schizoid, they hadn’t provided a drain for the shower. The painters had come in as well and simply painted over the shower taps. So basically there was water, but there was no way to remove it and no proper way to open the nozzle anyway .

This is one of hundreds of stories around Australia caused by state government dumbness. A line from Malcom Tucker  wouldn’t go astray right now. My brother-in-law rang eagerly to tell us about  ‘d’storm, innit?’ a few hours ago -good because Australia doesn’t really ‘do International stories’. Unless there’s guns.

Kindest, purofilion

PS: hope things are somewhat rectified and the gent with the pump-action  is rewarded!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@purofilion

Thanks. I find it a bit depressing, if only because it’s not an unusual story. Part of my RL work is assessing and leading remediation of “brownfield” sites. So that’s previously used industrial land that needs to be de-polluted to be used for other uses.

It can actually give you a bit of pride if you’ve worked hard on a project and turned a disused hell hole into something more pleasant, and it can be great to go back and see what the developers have made of it. The quality of the designs is sometimes very good. Eye-catching. In a couple of cases though, I’ve been bought back into a build for the other part of my work as shoddy contractor work causes flooding (from insufficient drainage), badly specified materials warping, fungal contamination from untreated wood products and all sorts of other issues. That’s really depressing and does highlight the perilous state of contractors across the board. What is worse is that the usual suspects continue to win work under various Government “cost benefit” assessment programmes.

It’s tragic.

It’s tragic.

Arbutus @arbutus

@phaseshift   That is quite a story. Poor workmanship has become more and more of an issue in all kinds of construction, as materials become more expensive and everyone (taxpayers, homeowners) want things “for cheap”. The Canadian building contractor Mike Holmes made his fortune on home improvement TV by exposing bad workmanship and promising to “make it right”. His outrage at bad work used to be pretty fun to watch, as he had a very working-class personal style (and I’m sure the language to go with it when he wasn’t on TV), and would just start ripping things out of walls to expose faulty work, saying “Just look at this! This is an embarrassment!” And so on.

@purofilion    Your story about the chem lab shower reminds me of my son’s experience at the beginning of high school, when his new science teacher explained all the safety rules, and informed them that in the event of any chemical spillage on any part of a student, said student would be required to strip off and shower immediately. The shower was in one corner of the classroom, and had no curtain or enclosure of any kind! He was horrified, and I couldn’t really think of any advice other than the obvious: “Don’t spill anything.”

Rob @rob

Hey ho All

Just popped in for a lemonade to wash down the packet of ProPlus ( as FatManInABox has advised me off coffee for half an hour )

I build the holes and cap them off and @phaseshift makes em all useful again it’s all leading to an Elton John song shortly

Ps the walk is done and we raised £1,600 I can go back to being horrible to everyone now 😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all,

I’m leaving you all for a few days in the capable hands of @jimthefish @fatmaninabox and @phaseshift

I have been talked into climbing Snowdon the hard way and we head off tomorrow morning. I shall try not to die.

This is what I will be doing. Keep your fingers crossed for me. If I’m honest I’m a little bit scared.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Blimey! Good luck, @craig.

UNIT Base 5 is underneath if you have any problems…
    z

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig – best of luck, and if the locals tell you the weather is likely to change for the worse, take their advice. 🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@craig    Oh my goodness. Good luck with it. That looks frankly terrifying to me, but I live in a part of the world where rock climbing is big, so I know that it isn’t as foolhardy as it looks!

Apparently there are people called “rooftoppers” who do a similar thing in an urban setting. I was just sent this link last night. Absolutely mad.

http://ontheroofs.com/hong-kong-2/
    Anonymous @

@craig –  😎  Geronimo 

Anonymous @

Good luck if I were you I’d be scared too but have fun

VashtaNerada @vashtanerada

@craig

wow. Okay. Don’t die. I wouldn’t have that much courage!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Thanks all. @wolfweed Cheers. Will pack the psychic paper so they don’t think I’m the Master.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

Climbing Snowdon at the behest of a pal? Hope you have a magnificent time.

I was a teenager when my mate Simmo organised a Mount Snowdon challenge. Unfortunately, it rapidly became apparent as we drove to London he intended an alternative Mount Snowdon challenge which involved climbing the North face of Antony Charles Robert Armstrong-Jones, Lord Snowdon.

We approached him at a fashion shoot in London’s trendy Mayfair and bumrushed him at the launch party. The third in our party was collared by a Policeman at the door, and I’m afraid I was felled in the rush by a surprisingly good rugby tackle by a model dressed entirely in taffeta.

From a prone position I saw Simmo lumber up to base camp at the feet of a horrified Snowdon, and begin to climb him. A technical challenge as Simmo was a good 3inch taller than Snowdon himself. Snowdon’s nose may have presented a tricky challenge, but fortunately Simmo’s weight buckled the aging Snowdon’s legs and down he went.

Simmo planted a small Union Flag (with one of those little sucker cups) on the forehead of a now prone (and unconscious) Lord Snowdon and declared victory.

After a rousing chorus of God Save the Queen, we were taken to the local nick.

Great days.

Anonymous @

@craig – Have a great time.

I don’t think Yetis have ever been reported on Mt. Snowdon but on the off chance that you see one – approach with caution! They’re not as friendly or cuddly as @scaryb is 😉

Rob @rob

@craig

Have a great time and don’t forget “your bloody kendal mintcake” 😀

janetteB @janetteb

@craig, All the best with the Snowden challenge and please do avoid “the local nick”. @phaseshift, Still wiping eyes after reading that story.

@rob Glad to hear that the walk is done and lots of money was raised. I hope the armour isn’t too rusty from all the summer rain.

Cheers

Janette

Whisht @whisht

Blimey @craig !
    Take care and Enjoy every effing moment of it!

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Yikes! 😯 Have fun and don’t break anything!

@fatmaninabox Aw, thanks :00ps: (it’s all part of my cunning plan, hehe 😈 ) Hope the gardening’s going well. How do you get blisters on your feet from gardening btw?!

@phaseshift – ROFL

@rob Congrats and welcome back to the mud.  Hope you didn’t rust too much

Nice that the Rose & Crown is putting on free poison of your choice this afternoon in the run-up to Into the Dalek

Cheers everyone.

ScaryB @scaryb

@jimthefish @wolfweed (and any others of the Scottish persuasion/location)

It maybe ranks as a pimple on @craig‘s Snowden scale of intrepid adventuring, but this might be worth exploring for our next DWF (Scottish arm) meetup. It doesn’t involve climbing, and it  includes a pub (and option of other Whovians… ooh! scary!!)

The Whovian Guide to Glasgow

(Love the sunken Dalek mural)

Anonymous @

@scaryb

How do you get blisters on your feet from gardening btw?!

That’s what 15 year old steel toe-capped Doc Marten’s with wrinkled in-soles do to your feet!

Technically, I got the blisters walking to and from the Botanical Gardens (I’m a 20min walk away) but I was shamelessly trying to get some sympathy 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb

That Dalek Muriel is really cool.

z

Anyone of a Scottish persuasion? (!) 🙂

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi @wolfweed @bluesqueakpip @arbutus @barnable @tennantlove9090 @vashtanerada @phaseshift @fatmaninabox @rob @janetteb @whisht @scaryb

Well, we did it and survived, mostly. That climb that takes up the first minute of the video is probably the most difficult, and at times scary. My friend almost bottled out 50 metres up the cliff face because she didn’t want to walk on a ledge only 6 inches wide with nothing below. Can you imagine! Thankfully there was a climber a lot more experienced than me who talked her through it. There were handholds…

Once on the ridge, apart from the scary drops either side it wasn’t too difficult. We only stood occasionally, prefering to go down the less steep side slightly and edge along using both hands and feet (as they do ocassionally in that video) while some people wandered past us as if on a Sunday stroll.

There were a few other climbs that were a bit scary following the ridge and one with an almost sheer drop below (the one at around 4:40-4:50) which made my legs go a bit jelly, but most of it was just climbing, scrambling and walking until we reached the summit, by which time it was pouring with rain – we were so lucky it held off while we were on the ridge.

The way down was a much easier route, although it was still in the pouring rain. Nearing our destination, the pub (obviously), I started to get a bit carefree and managed to slip for the first time that day on a flat rock. I am now in possession of a fractured finger (there’s a nice little bit of raised bone just under the skin). Just been to A&E and I now have a little plastic hat on it that I have to wear for at least a week. I have a Snowdon war wound!

@phaseshift That story made us both piss ourselves laughing as we drove home today – didn’t have any internet connection the whole time we were there. If that is true that is one amazing story. If it’s from your work-addled mind, it’s still an amazing story.

VashtaNerada @vashtanerada

@craig

that’s one incredible time you must have had! Just going on amusement park rides is more than enough terror for me for a month! Hope the finger gets better soon… or you could just chop it off and throw it into the shadows, my friends would much appreciate the snack 😛

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@vashtanerada Many thanks. Funnily enough, I was thinking my finger now looks a bit like you.

Perhaps we could have a “What Doctor Who monster looks most like Craig’s finger?” competition (for no prizes of course)

Craig's finger

wolfweed @wolfweed

@craig
    It’s always the way. I did the most dangerous mountain climb ever and twisted my ankle (no, I’m not a companion of the Doctor) in a hidden rabbit hole on the way home …

Wear your wound with pride!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig

Oh, congratulations to you and pal. Honestly, I don’t think it’s a challenge I could do (my knees are weaker than Lord Snowdon’s were in the 80s). 🙂

Anonymous @

@Craig–

Welcome back. Hope the finger gets better soon….

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

*sigh*

I told you not to break anything!

What state did you leave the mountain in…? No doubt there’s big chunks out of that as well!

(Welcome back btw 🙂 (And glad to see it’s not your mouse finger))

@wolfweed – re twisting your ankle – you may not have been a companion yet, but you have all the necessary qualifications. Keep watching the skies.

Arbutus @arbutus

@craig.  Well done. Glad you didn’t break anything else. That’s a small price to pay for great bragging rights!

Anonymous @

@craig – The Impossible Astronaut 🙂

Anonymous @

@craig – Ouch!

Shame it wasn’t your index finger, you could’ve brightened it up with a bit of cosplay 😆

Blisters and broken bones! We certainly are an injury prone bunch here 😀

But seriously, well done. Glad you enjoyed it.

Anonymous @

@scaryb

Sorry, forgot to say that the course is going great. In fact, I could say that everything is coming up roses 😆 (nope, I’m not getting my coat, that pun was awful but worth it).

I’ve got 4 days left (Wed, Fri this week and Mon, Wed next week) before the course finishes. As I’ve passed 8 out of the 10 modules, I can unofficially say that I’ve passed 😀 But shhh, you mustn’t tell anyone yet 😉

Anonymous @

Sorry, couldn’t resist…

Looks like we know how the Doctor is going to vote…

janetteB @janetteb

@craig I hope Mt Snowden, (Opps, sorry meant to say the finger) recovers soon. Doesn’t it always rain in the Snowdonia ranges? I once spent an hour by the roadside in Snowdonia, in the rain, waiting for a lift. Well done for having made it safely to the summit, (if not to the pub.)

@fatmaninabox Well done to you too. btw I have some roses urgently in need of attention. 🙂

Re The Scottish thing, D.Day must be close. From over here we are all interested to see how it goes. (I gave up following the for and against arguments long ago. I just hope that which ever way the vote goes there is no bitterness or resentment after from either side of the border.)

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@janetteb @wolfweed @Purofilion @arbutus – that’s a Strawberry Tree for those who don’t know. Trust me, I’m qualified now 😉

Thanks for the messages and music 🙂

@phaseshift – Loved the OWL Certificate 😀

By sheer coincidence, while I was pottering about in the Butterfly House on Monday, a rather friendly Owl Butterfly took quite a shine to my T-shirt.

That’s not the actual butterfly as I didn’t have my camera with me.

Anonymous @

cool butterfly though and I was just told this I thought you guys might like it first it’s a riddle so prepare your self

How do you run away ok so you are tied to a chair  with a tight chain and your a brick buidt  room with no windows on door no nothing just you tied up to a chair with tight big chains wraped around you . And outside are guard dogs, snakes , guns aimed to shoot  only you , and bombs surrounding the house . how do you get out ?????

have fun I never got until my teacher told us the answer!:):)

Anonymous @

if y’all can’t get it I will tell you and no google

Anonymous @

@Tennantlove9090 – Personally, I’d stay in the room. It seems the safest place 😀

Anonymous @

hahahahahaha sorry you can’t but thanks smart

Timeloop @timeloop

@Tennantlove9090 Clearly you have to call the Tardis incl. the Doctor. He did the same thing, just without the bombs and snakes and stuff.

Anonymous @

haha no keep guessing i will look at this tomorrow good night

Anonymous @

@tennantlove9090 – I say open your eyes, it is a nightmare. 💡

Anonymous @

@Barnable- you got it was a dream or nightmare @barnable wins good job

Anonymous @

nope @Tennantlove9090 your teacher mucked up the so-called riddle. 🙂 🙂 Any riddle like this needs to produce the “ah my, why didn’t I notice THAT’ reaction. Usually these constructs contain some other element. For example, the ‘you’ tied to a chair isn’t human and therefore can ‘slither’ out -hence the snakes outside the door in the first place. You can easily move about them, if you are one. What do you reckon @Handles ? that works no? Anyway, congratulations: ‘ it was all a nightmare’.

Anonymous @

@craig I just saw the video you’d embedded before. You went up that thing?  Christ!  I remember dating this dude of a rock climber when I was about 23. I wanted to impress him, I suppose, and he was about to climb up one of the ‘lesser peaks’ above the Sunshine Coast, north of Brisbane. Nothing like your experience, but hell, as soon as I put one foot up, my knee started shaking. I just couldn’t move it. I didn’t think I was nervous!  -but I must have been! So, I stayed in the café.

Anonymous @

@Purofilion – TY, I have to agree that there must have been something wrong with the riddle (no offense @Tennantlove9090).  I am the worst riddle solver in history.  I still get the riddles from The Hobbit wrong, and I’ve heard the answers already. 🙂

Rob @rob

Missed all last weeks discussion will try and catch up tomorrow (Sunday) had a looooong week 79 hours worth of  stuff in a big hole

Now for a pint of coffee 😉

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 991 total)

The topic ‘The Rose & Crown’ is closed to new replies.