The Rose & Crown

Home Forums General The Rose & Crown

This topic contains 990 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

… aaaaand @phaseshift gets the 5 quid prize!

Exactly what we’ve been fumbling toward this evening.  Very classy, quite vicious, and never whipped out her knockers in her attempt to overthrow her [male] adversary; Ms Frances Barber could make a very delicious Master.

Well done Sir!

janetteB @janetteb

I simply can’t think of “female villians” without thinking of Livia in I Claudius played by the wonderful Sian Phillips. Certainly that was many, many years ago though there is a remake in development I hear. A Livia, type Master would be brilliant. Checking Sian’ IMDB she is still acting so is a possibility for our female master and she have yet to make an appearance on Dr Who.

Also congrat’s Shazzbot on the new status. I like the new avatar too.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks @janetteb

Sian Philips as Livia still scare me  – chilling performance. IC is being repeated late nights recently and I’ve caught up with a few episodes – amazing cast, and it still holds up well today. In the 70s it was gobsmacking.

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot @phaseshift

Well posted Mr P. I omitted Kovarian in my post earlier as I was still shuddering from remembering these 2 –

Celia Imrie

Doctor Who: Celia Imrie as Miss Kizlet in The Bells of Saint John - video

And Diana Rigg…

Dame Diana Rigg in Doctor Who

Why all these talented actors being so woefully underused…? (or maybe I’m not watching enough TV and missing them?) I always think it’s a shame that really meaty parts for actresses tend to dry up as they hit their 40s (if they’re lucky) – most of them are just starting to get interesting at that age. (Not original thought, but sadly still worth repeating in 2013).

PS I tried to copy and paste the pics (rather than as links). Not sure why it didn’t work, I’ve done it before

Anonymous @

Thanks @janetteb!   ( and to @scaryb as well)

Now, of course, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t have gone with Madame Kovarian instead.  But this is already my 4th avatar in as many months, so I’m going to have to stay as The Rani for at least a while longer  🙂

When I was looking for a suitably menacing female DW villain, I ony thought of BG characters, and I’m still ashamed Mme Kovarian didn’t come to mind.

Scary: I’m not sure I could have chosen Celia Imrie’s TBoSJ character, being she was ultimately controlled by someone else (not really ‘a man’ but portrayed as one); and Diana Riggs’ TCH character blinded her own daughter.  I’m hoping The Rani didn’t do anything nearly like that!

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

CI and DR were more on lines of looking for female actors capable of delivering a villain. Unfortunately neither of their DW characters is likely to make a comeback. Blinding her own daughter in an experiment – how much more evil can you get?

The Rani doesn’t chill me as much as Kovarian, so I’d be happy if you stick with her :-) @jimthefish‘s new avatar makes me nervous enough! <thinks – may have to go back to scary angel in self defence, LOL>

(and thanks for pointing out about placing tags, and amending my post to anitpodean members)

Further tyo my nerd post, upthread. Sarah Pinborough provides a perfectly reasonable bit of context in defence of the gentlemen nerds (according to her Twitter feed she was accused of blaming tghe victim!)

Anonymous @

@pedant – I find it interesting that Sarah Pinborough even felt the need to highlight those moments of gallentry.  Not having been to any conventions myself, I had no idea that the men were perceived to be so awful to the women attendees.

We have enough women on this forum, surely one or more of them can provide their experience(s)?

I suspect it is like much interaction on the internet: it is hard to distinguish between what is genuine and what is noisy. I really think this is what Pinborough is getting at: assume good faith. But deal with transgressors.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Shazzbot – I’ve organised two Harry Potter conventions. I think it was about a 50/50 gender balance and certainly nobody reported any problems to me. Well, not sexual harrassment problems. Rooms (needing/not needing/wrong floor), beds, why haven’t you accepted my paper – all those. 🙂

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@htpbdet

I’ll be sending you healing thoughts and crossing my fingers, eyes and toes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.  Would it help if we were to send some of the Chula nanogenes from TDD (The Doctor Dances)? Should we send a psychic paper note to Captain Avery asking whether the Siren/automated sick bay from TCOTBS (The Curse of the Black Spot) could be of assistance?

Whatever you do to get ready for your next (hopefully quite brief) period of confinement, don’t forget to pack your celery!  I hear it has great restorative powers.  😀

Warmly,

TB

Anonymous @

@tardisblue – that was lovely, and I know our @htpbdet appreciates your support.

As an aside, can I please ask that you take on an avatar?  It’s difficult connecting with a grey and white blob.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@tardisblue – many thanks for your kind words.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@Shazzbot,

<<< trembles before The Rani>>>

your wish is my command,

… although …

with all your complaints about the hot weather,

I’d have thought you’d appreciate the grey and white of good old “June Gloom”  😀

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_Gloom

Anonymous @

Oh, for pity’s sake, stop the trembling @tardisblue!  And thanks for the avatar.

That whole June Gloom business was always more about San Fran than it was about LA.  That was our secret about the hordes of travellers who thought they’d timed it right by booking a Northern California summer holiday [vacation].  How we laughed at their naivete.  ‘Sure … go to San Fran in the summer!  You’ll love it!’ [smirk smirk]

At least in LA, the June Gloom was just in the mornings; it usually burned off by the afternoon.  But poor San Fran, it’s an all-day affair.

Hey, did you ever ask your Groundling friends if they remembered me?

TardisBlue @tardisblue

@shazzbot

Re Groundlings:

Seeing one of them (LC,  nee  LS – before her marriage  to AC) this weekend … definitely gonna ask.  And speaking of former Groundlings, you’ve still got time to book tickets for Tracey Newman’s upcoming shows.   Shirley the local ferrets and hares could babysit your Airdales over the weekend.                          http://www.tracynewman.com/gigs.html

TB

wolfweed @wolfweed

It’s official! The Royal baby is….. A Werewolf of course!
    x

@wolfweed – awww! Look at the widdle werewolf!

Nice work. He’s even got that slightly cross ‘it’s too bright out here’ expression that newborns so often have. 🙂

Personally, I prefer to think of HRH The Baby as our newest Whovian. It does run in the family…

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed. sheer genius.

cheers

Janette

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Does anyone remember the Doctor Poo strip that once appeared in Viz? And would anyone object if I post an animated version here? It’s full of rude words, like the F one, so I wondered if it would be too adult.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@arkleseizure

It’s not a problem really. Just a warning beforehand. I think when we set up we agreed any potential material like that should be marked “Not suitable for Work!” or suchlike. Saves some red faces. 😀

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

@phaseshift — thanks. The animation was made by the Viz team themselves and is rudimentary to say the least, but the voices aren’t too bad. It would never fit into canon for one obvious reason, but for anyone with a sense of humour as childish as mine, it’s quite brilliant.

So: Not Safe For Work (and Not For Sale to Children as Viz always says on its cover….)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@arkleseizure

Thanks for that. It would be interesting to know if they were influenced by a chap called Leo Baxendale with that. You’re probably too young to remember him, but I think he was named as a big influence on Viz in “Comics Britannia” on BBC4.

He created Minnie the Minx for the Beano and I Love You Baby Basil! for The Guardian, and produced his own independent stuff. One of his Badtime Bedtime series was “Doctor Poo”. Shame his stuff hasn’t been reprinted in large scale as it’s rarer than rocking horse crap these days. I still have some, but the issue of “Doctor Poo” is missing.

Shameless tarting, but if you weren’t at the Olympic Stadium over the past couple of days, allow me to take you as close to the action as possible without actually having Jess Ennis’s magnificent arse disappearing up the track in front of you…

The London Anniversary Games

Given our predilection for brutal public executions, some of you might find this of interest.

OK, my predilection.

Anonymous @

@pedant – that’s a really interesting post.  Do you want to cross-post it here as a blog entry?  It’s tangentially related to @jimthefish‘s Media Mongers series, and so in that sense whilst not specifically Doctor Who-related, it’s still of interest to everyone who interacts on the internet in forums.

@shazzbot – sure – how do I do that?

Anonymous @

@pedant – you could ask @craig if he can make you a blog author, or alternatively, if he can post it as a blog naming you as author.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant I’ve made you an author. You should be able to just click +New in the top bar. Is WordPress so I know you know what you’re doing.

There you go – feel free to edit/ categorise etc

Anonymous @

Found this great testament to what the web is actually good for this morning and since we’ve had some previous discussion about the history of comics, I thought it might of interest.

http://www.sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/

If you’re a chap of a certain age, you’ll probably remember Action comic in the 1970s. It was pretty ground-breaking in its time but unfortunately didn’t last long after being targeted for a ‘ban this sick filth that’s corrupting our nation’s youth’ type moral crusade by the Daily Mail (and others).

Fortunately these fellows have set up this excellent archive website — with some pretty good articles about the background of the comic to boot. Highly recommended.

TardisBlue @tardisblue
    wolfweed @wolfweed

You might like this:

Anonymous @

Not too sure where to put this comment, but @jimthefish – the scariness factor of your avatar has dropped by 98%.

😆

Anonymous @

It’s a bit early in the day to be ‘in the pub’ but I can argue I’m just having lunch.  🙂

I saw this in the Guardian today – I might guess that we have more on this forum who self-identify as ‘tech nerds’ rather than ‘science nerds’, but it’s a refreshingly female point of view anyway.

Sex with science nerds

This reminds me of the old joke that engineers make terrible boyfriends (their conversation tends to be a bit … detailed) but wonderful husbands (they see reliability as a virtue and they’re very keen on … detail).

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Whisht @whisht

@wolfweed – I read that as “Craig and his big weapon again” and nodded sagely.

Now I don’t know what to write.

at all.

ever.

Anonymous @
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Why oh why oh why do Scotland always snatch defeat from the jaws of victory? Ahead twice already and I’m now watching from between my fingers… It’s unbearable and I’m not even a football fan.

Whisht @whisht

hey @craig – I was just about to post here saying was this pub playing the footy, but got sidetracked by the jukebox.

I’m not really watching either (its on in the background) and just keep looking up as a goal goes in!

oops, tthat’ll be Rooney getting the hook soon then….

🙂

Whisht @whisht

ah.

erm, that’ll be Lambert.

um

whaddya want from the bar? Deuchars? Whisky?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht I think I’ll need a treble Laphroaig – to start!

Anonymous @

@whisht – all I want from the bar is more coins for the jukebox.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Quelle surprise, Scotland go down as heroic losers once again. It’s just lucky we always expect to 😀 At least there’s one Scot I can now rely on to come out a winner every time.

Whisht @whisht

well @craig, I’ve no remedy, so here’s some timey wimey consolation…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Well that and 1977 have helped cheer me up 😀

Thanks

Whisht @whisht

@craig – good! 🙂

mind you, I had some erudite time-travel-related insights to enlighten everyone with, but perhaps I’ve found my level with willy-jokes and should leave it there!

;¬)

Anonymous @

@whisht – Shusht!  Forgetting every time you’ve made me and everyone else laugh on this forum, I’m still smarting over your zinggg on the Music thread with Devo and Ghost Light.

And don’t underestimate the power of willy jokes.  They can penetrate far harder, and stay longer (at least, in the mind) than most other jokes.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 991 total)

The topic ‘The Rose & Crown’ is closed to new replies.