Website comments (2)

Home Forums General Website comments (2)

This topic contains 704 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 705 total)
  • Author
    gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@missy Merry, Happy Christmas to you too Missy. Have a joyous holiday and a wonderful new year.

Hiker @hiker

Merry Christmas right back at ‘ya!

2 more days…

Hiker

Missy @missy

Missy @missy

@janetteb: Amen to that and thank you.

@gamergirlavatar: thank you

@hiker: Ta muchly – I was almost happy until you mention Time!

Missy

@craig

Bearing in mind what usually happens at this time of year, don’t forget to put a shilling in the meter…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant Cheers. I’ve just driven back from Scotland and all the way back I was thinking, damn, I haven’t renewed it yet and it runs out at the end of the day! Have done it now.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig

This post is ever so slightly off-topic. πŸ™‚

@craig @jimthefish

There is an intruder on the sofa.

@craig @jimthefish

And again, plus a couple of suspect registrations.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant (and just to include @jimthefish ) Many thanks. Have dealt with the one that posted the spam. I also noticed a few other dodgy ones but am reluctant to jump to conclusions. I mean, slickhotness and fdsa may be very dedicated Doctor Who fans. I’m not counting on it, but innocent until proven guilty.

Once again, thanks for keeping an eye out.

Missy @missy

@craig:

Thank you for trying to protect us. Much appreciated.

Missy

FatManInABox @fatmaninabox

Hi all,

Unless I’m in someway special and have been singled out, some of you may have received a message from @keranuu6543 inviting you to be her friend (and has very kindly supplied me with her private email address). I’m pretty sure I don’t need to say this but do not respond.

Keran / Karen claims to work for the US Army but, given the English – ie correct πŸ˜‰ – spelling of several words, as opposed to American English, I suspect she’s not all she claims to be.

@craig – you might want to keep an eye on her account.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Thanks @fatmaninabox I’ve deleted the account. It’s the easiest option.

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

got the same message

syzygy @thane16

hi there @craig

we have one “Ariana” seeking to be good friends as she works for the US army πŸ™‚

I’m very happy to lend her out.

syzygy @thane16

– -this particular one, “army” or not, doesn’t write particularly well.Β  Key misspellings. Considering our discussions on other thread I made certain to check πŸ™‚

But yeah, she also gave me her “private” email which I’m doing nothing with, obviously.

And if Thane was answering he would know enough now to ignore this too -thankfully

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thane16 Many thanks Puro – I’ve marked them as a spammer.

@craig

Is this spam season or something? Anyway, this time it’s Lambarth Peter who has something to share with me. Sadly, I suspect he may have something to share with many other people.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip I have “spammed” them. I’ve “spammed” four new members today. Once again, not much I can do as they are real people, not bots. Sorry about the emails – does seem a busy day for them. The schools are back today – is that a factor? Who knows?

Mudlark @mudlark

@craig

Thanks for your vigilance! I zapped both Ariana and Lambarth Peter into the trash bin as soon as spotted in my inbox today. All these dodgy looking strangers begging for my friendship leaves me feeling anything but friendly 😑

Anonymous @

I have received the same messages from both these users

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@tempusfugit I do apologise. Bots can’t sign up but there is nothing I can do against real people, until they reveal the are spammers.

Once again – you have my apologies.

Anonymous @

@craig no, you don’t have to apologies, I just informed that those two also wrote to me. It isn’t your fault that people create accounts to do weird stuff

Missy @missy

Yep, I got them too. Do they think we are stupid?

Thank you Craig, you do your best and none can do more.

We simply ignore them.

Missy

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig

Welcome back!

The font on “The Woman Who Fell to Earth” seems strangely washed out. A bit hard to read for these ageing eyes.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave Many thanks.

The text is only light because it’s closed to comments – it will be fine when I open it.

I wanted to get it up and ready, but didn’t want comments until people have actually seen the episode – especially given the polarising nature of the first female Doctor.

Although I’m sure we’ll still get a few moaning about it who didn’t even watch it.

@craig

Oh look, we have a fuckwit in the house. [at]oldgitdotcom needs evicting.

@craig @jimthefish

You may find this of interest. I think it is what we, in the usenet days, would have called “on-topic trolling”.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/29/lets-talk-comments-android-police/

The (slightly buried) lede.

The second, though, is a newer one for us, and one we feel obligated to confront. On the web, a certain kind of comment content “gray area” has emerged in recent years, and it’s making our conversations unnecessarily toxic. It’s called discussion hijacking (which is essentially just trolling),

Bloody kids – finding a phenomenon and thinking they are the first to see it.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

ROFFLΒ  !Β  Yeah, I get that. Reminds of people on web forums talking about something that someone else just wrote but the first person wanted to be the one to notice it or else hadn’t read the comments at all.

T16

janetteB @janetteb

@thane16 I have been guilty of not reading comments before posting of late because I have not had the time to keep up with comments, especially as we are so late watching the episodes at the moment.

Cheers

Janette

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @jimthefish @thane16 @janetteb

I was well aware that there would be a bunch of idiots signing up for this season just to post stupid or hateful comments about a female Doctor or too many people of colour etc. However, I am also aware that we have a great community here, and the trolls (which is what they are) are shot down quickly. And I love you all for that.

I’m okay with leaving up the troll comments if they are shot down, or just ignored. If they do start to derail the conversation then I or Jim will step in. But the old (ha “old”) adage always applies – don’t feed the trolls.

Just ignore them. I’m in two minds about deleting posts. If something is objectively offensive, to someone or about the programme, then yes, but if someone is just proving themselves a racist or an idiot I kinda feel it should be left up so they can look a fool online forever.

When this site first started I, and others, used to have hours of arguments with trolls and idiots and they eventually went away – they’re still up for anyone who wants to search them out. I’m glad we did that though – because we now have the site we have.

But, I’m not the boss here – you all are. Let me know what you think.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig @pedant et al

I don’t really mind the on-topic trolls as there’s enough intelligent and articulate voices to put them in their place. And as @craig says, it’s only to be expected this year and it really hasn’t been half as bad as I was expecting. The only thing I’ve really modded was one comment that was to my view pretty damn misogynist. I did briefly ponder just editing out the offensive phrases but figured that’s a dangerous rabbit hole to fall down and blanket deletion is probably better.

I think I’m with @craig that unless it becomes out-and-out offensive it’s better just to leave the posts up for people to engage with or ignore as they wish. Most of these posts do little but expose their idiocy and lack of thought anyway and I think it’s better that’s out there for all to see.

Anonymous @

I don’t know what happened. I’m rather disconnected from the fandom atm because I’m not enjoying the new season( I don’t connect with the writing or the characters)

@craig @jimthefish

:shrugs: It seems to me we all came here because we were tired of that sort of nonsense on the Guardian.

The problem with treating small-minded little Hitlers as jokes to be pointed and laughed at is, one minute you’re a joke and the next you’re president of Brazil.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @jimthefish

As I said, we’re keeping an eye on it. Most of the trolls seem to be ‘one comment and they’re out’ kinds, but if it does get out of hand we will step in. You don’t have to read it. I’ve seen plenty of reviews and comments online of, for example, “Rosa” that have been extremely critical.

What I don’t want is any dissension stamped on just because some people don’t agree with it. People are entitled to their opinions and we should be open to that. I’m not the automatic deleting kind.

When this site first started there were a few at the Guardian that said “Oh, that’s the site where everyone just agrees with everyone else”. That’s obviously been false from the start – what it is, what it should be, is the site where everyone is civil to everyone else, no matter their difference of opinion, beliefs, race, country of origin etc.

If I’m honest, there have been times when I thought you, @pedant, had stepped over the line or at least been very close to it, but I let it go. So I give the same courtesy to others. If it’s one post and we never see them again, fine. If a pattern of behaviour develops then action might have to be taken. That’s how I try to moderate things.

I may be wrong – but so far it’s worked and we’ve attracted some wonderful members who enjoy this place.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig @pedant

Yeah, it’s mostly troll and run at the moment, or people who get the message that there’s not much sympathy to be had for them here. We haven’t had a really persistent problem for years now I don’t think.

And that’s probably now jinxed it.

LionHeart564 @lionheart564

I hava a question. I posted a reply but after i edited it for some mistake it just disappeared,where can I find it or Do I have to repost it?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@lionheart564 Thanks for letting me know. For some reason it ended up in the “spam” folder – I’ve released it – is this the one you mean:

Arachnids In The UK

I didn’t write the code for this site, just bodged it together overnight one Christmas using WordPress and Buddypress. For some reason, if you make an edit too quickly or too many times it thinks you’re spamming the site. It’s always a good idea to copy your post before hitting “Submit” just in case.

Please let me know if you have any more problems.

<span class=”useratname”>@craig</span>

Thank you! I am new to this site so I still need to get a better understanding of how thing work around here

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@lionheart564 Welcome. It’s always nice to have new members. And don’t worry, I put this site together and I still don’t know how it all really works.

But it works most of the time.

It’s a bit like The Doctor and the TARDIS in that way!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@lionheart564 I forgot to mention, if you look at the main navigation, there is a “Help” section which might, well, help!

@craig

Thanks for the tip.(-πŸ˜€

Missy @missy

@lionheart564

Welcome

Missy

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

OK everybody. Ignore the distractions, get back to Doctor Who.

syzygy @thane16

@janetteb no worries: I really wasn’t thinking of you as being that type of person -so apologies! It was actually sometimes a newbie: “did anyone notice ..?” it kinda annoys.

I read that good article @pedant

I think there are few personal attacks here. But a few rude comments which is different. I know mum handled the one about “phd who gives a shit?” which is pretty personal. She just shook her head. Then did bullet points. It’s the nature of those people. They simply want something to hate, find a discussion and then crap on. Not sweet. With Social commentary I type “OK” and then they get real mad.

T16.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by  syzygy. Reason: being nicer

@craig

We seem to have a new little friend, currently called Hariatta Hester. She works for the ‘united nation’. I’m not sure which nation is united. Certainly not ours, right now. 😈

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip Has she done anything wrong? I haven’t seen anything public. Is she sending private messages?

Sorry, @craig. Yes, I got a private message asking me to email her hotmail address.

Anonymous @

@craig @bluesqueakpip – I got a PM along those lines too

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@bluesqueakpip @kevinwho I’ve marked ‘her’ as a spammer. So hopefully no more emails or comments. But let me know if you get any.

Viewing 50 posts - 451 through 500 (of 705 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.