Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@jimthefish – really? What it made me think was that there’s something or someone in it that they couldn’t film until the Christmas Special filming was underway. 😈

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — That’s possible, I suppose.

Cynical, moi?

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip @fatmaninabox @phaseshift

The conversation started by way of Carole Ann Ford’s video interview where she stated that William Hartnell had said back when he was playing the Doctor, that the show would go on forever.

I questioned how WH could know that since (assuming he knew he wasn’t immortal) for it to go on at all, the lead actor would have to be replaced.  I wondered what his frame of reference was for a series where the lead actor changed and the series continued being successful for a long time.

You want me to believe that WH’s frame of reference was … Robin of Sherwood?  I’ll buy Quatermass, and his knowledge (if he had it at the time the comment was made) of the Cushing Doctor’s films .  I know there are several examples to be explained to me, but I was questioning only those examples of which he would have been aware at the time.

But this is only academic, as we don’t know for sure whether CAF was simply bored to tears of saying the same things all the time, and decided to throw something else into her interview box – which may or may not be true, and if true, may not have been said when she described.

Back to normal transmission … 🙂

@Shazzbot – I was trying to think of something equally iconic, and came up with Robin Hood. Are we good, now?

But honestly, Bill Hartnell would have been more familiar with the idea of a character being played by several different actors than we are now. They couldn’t juggle filming dates back in the 50’s; you were either available for the live broadcast or you weren’t. So there are a lot of 1950’s TV shows where part X was played by actors Y and Z.

Hartnell himself was in The Army Game, where Major Upshot-Bagley was played by both Geoffrey Sumner and Jack Allen, Private Cupcake Cook was played by Norman Rossington and Keith Banks, Private Professor Hatchett by Charles Hawtrey and Keith Smith…

The brilliance of regeneration was not that it came up with a way of replacing Bill Hartnell by another actor. It was that it came up with a way of replacing any actor playing the Doctor by any other actor – who could then play his own interpretation of the character.

The brilliance was that regeneration meant the Troughton Doctor didn’t have to pretend to still be the Hartnell Doctor, just younger. He was alien, he could change completely. He could be a small, scruffy, clown, with more to him than met the eye. Then the Pertwee Doctor didn’t have to be the Troughton Doctor; he could be a dandy, an action man, an authoritarian who was also a rebel.

With regeneration, main character and show became extraordinarily fluid, and very adaptable.

Myself, I think it likely that Hartnell made that comment when the Daleks were such a big hit. He was the one most approached for autographs; I think he was the one who got the full picture of the kind of impact they were having and so realised his character had the potential to be the ‘Sherlock Holmes’ of that generation.

ScaryB @scaryb

Thoughts on CAF’s interview (and thanks for ever-vigilant link-posting @Shazzbot) – “forfever is a long time”… TV was still very young way back then and actors have (just occasionally!) been known to exaggerate (looking at you Mr H, and you CAF!)

@jimthefish Re trailer – You BIG cynic you! I think it’s very unlikely that they wouldn’t plan to release a trailer – the marketing demons would demand it if nothing else.  Not convinced about @bluesqueakpip‘s point about not filming it earlier as “ there’s something or someone in it that they couldn’t film until the Christmas Special filming was underway” or maybe I just don’t get it.  Surely the trailer is put together from existing footage from the 50th?

And a quick wave to @ardaraith – good to see you back 🙂

@scaryb – yeah, it’s normal to put the trailer together from existing footage. However, if they’re really super-keen to keep details hidden, they might film a ‘prequel’ trailer. It would be considerably easier to film that during the filming of the 50th, so I’d guess that they did the post production for the 50th first, then started working on the trailer.

I don’t know why, but when they said the trailer was only just in post production, my immediate thought was that Peter Capaldi was either in it, or narrating it – the time scale means they could have done some filming/voice-over during the Christmas Special production. But we shall see.

Anonymous @

Great news about the ‘stings’ but then I noticed that Atlantis starts at 20:25 but over on BBC3, DW doesn’t finish till 20:30 and as I’m recording NiS I’ll miss the first 5 mins.

Damn you, BBC, damn you 👿

wolfweed @wolfweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QipK-NsUYk
    #SaveTheDay – Day of the Doctor Hashtag Revealed
    z

@wolfweed – that was a bit – underwhelming.

Yeah, my whelm is definitely running ‘under’ at the moment. They’re very, very serious about not giving anything away, aren’t they?

Atlantis was good, though.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip @scaryb @jimthefish

It’s interesting that more footage has been filmed for the trailer. No real spoilers here (because I have no details) other than there are prequel bits supposedly being filmed which they probably did when the gang got back together for the Christmas special filming.

I guess they wanted a narrative framing for the trailer which may have only been just worked out. That takes you outside the action of clips as it were. When the series was relaunched, Chris Ecclestone did one which I embeded on the Faces thread (“You wanna come with me”) and I think I’m right (although could be wrong) in saying it was the last thing he filmed for the series.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I do hope we have people who are familiar with this hashtag thingy who can keep me appraised of developments. Something to do with “twitter” isn’t it?

#oldandconfusedmalevolententity

Yeah, my whelm is definitely running ‘under’ at the moment.

Just a precautionary flag here: can we not be the place that goes out of the way to find things to be narked about?

These are the opening shots in an 8 week campaign to 23 Nov.

Anonymous @

@pedant – Well said:

can we not be the place that goes out of the way to find things to be narked about?

Don’t forget that we have @wolfweed‘s excellent blog which was set up at PhaseShift’s request to keep the (imo, deserved) carping in one place.  It’s been difficult to remain positive about the 50th anniversary year so far, to be sure, but hopefully our whelms are about to be pushed over.

@Shazzbot and @pedant – I’m quite sure my whelm will be back to its usual sunnily sarcastic self by later today. 🙂

I agree with @phaseshift – the trailer will be a narrative trailer.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift, @bluesqueakpip, @shazzbot, @pedant,

Personally I think if we’ve got to almost October in the anniversary year and all we’ve got to show for it so far is a couple of idents and a twittter hashtag then a certain amount of narkitude can definitely be forgiven. Especially as it’s so unnecessary. There were plenty of ways the Beeb could have kept things bubbling over all year and then stepping things up at this point.  But I take the general point.

On reflection, you can see why they’ve maybe been holding off on things like the trailer though. Atlantis was quite a costly deal for them and they probably didn’t want it to be, er, sunk before it’s even began by all publicity efforts and public excitement being directed towards Who. Mind you, I’m quite surprised that publicity for Atlantis has been quite muted too. Maybe the internal publicity department at the Beeb is one of those that has taken a major budgetary hit of late.

RE. trailer. I concur with @phaseshift and @scaryb. The fact that it is still going through post could mean that we’re going to see something a bit exciting with some fresh footage and probably with a little bit of narrative to it. Although I suppose the rationale might be that if they’d made the trailer earlier with the view to sitting on it, then that massively increases the risk of it being leaked prematurely. You can’t leak something that doesn’t exist yet. And if that’s the case, I don’t blame Moffatt and co in the slightest for wanting to hold off for as long as possible on the potential spoileritude of it.

(But again, not wishing to get all ARSE-ey but a couple of 5-sec stings with say just Tennant looking to camera, a multiple Doctor silhouette or a Zygon or a Dalek earlier in the year might have saved the Beeb a lot of aggravation and kept sqeee levels high.)

Must admit I was slightly bemused by an announcement of the unveiling of a hashtag though. And as Graham Linehan and others have already pointed out, it’s ripe for hijacking by everyone with a cause to promote on Twitter (which is pretty much all of em).

@jimthefish – the department, like many other BBC departments, has been dealing with massive budget cuts. That’s why you keep seeing trailers for Original British Drama rather than individual shows.

If anyone’s interested, there’s a Marketing Week article from last year which mentions use of social media. To summarise: the lack of actual money means they really are relying on forums like ourselves to do a lot of the publicity.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — re. budget cuts. Yeah, that makes sense actually. And also explains why they’ve been quite supportive and appreciative of fan-made trailers/opening titles and the like. They actually have a massive creative source in the fan community itself. It’s one that they could actually exploit further than they have done so far, in fact….

ScaryB @scaryb

On the subject of being underwhelmed and publicity drive generally –

For the general public, 2 months is a good time-scale to pace a campaign – more than that and they get “blind” to it, or fed up with it.  And as someone pointed out upstream, the BBC usually do 1 month campaigns, so our fav programme is getting twice as much as usual.

They already use the social networks, and they know the fans will keep the momentum going for themselves – they kept it going throughout the 16 year gap FFS, and that was preFacebook and Twitter. From a budgeting point of view you can see the marketing dept making the decision not to budget too much for DW as a lot of it gets covered by fans anyway (which is the ultimate in marketing) – just throw them a photo or a news crumb every now and then, and watch it run. Marketing heaven 🙂

@phaseshift re the hashtag – doesn’t matter if everyone else hijacks it for their own cause – the important thing about hashtags is to get them trending, then they get more clicks and attention. So the more people that use it the better. It’s good to have a dedicated one, otherwise you split the effect.

So long as they’ve learned lessons from the leaks earlier this year, I’ll be happy.

The biggest cause of ARSE-iness for me is the lack of new stories this year so we’ve had over 6 months to chew over the events of 7.2,  with no official explanation of why series 8 isn’t running till 2014.   It may very well be budget, it may be production schedules for the 50th, inc Matt’s non-availability for part of the year, it may be down to casting the new Dr and developing his character and story. But we don’t know, and given the BBC’s track record with DW, rumours and paranoia kick in fast, especially on the interwebs.

Meanwhile I’m excited about a proper new trailer, maybe some tardisodes as well…? And I’m VERY excited about screening the old episodes – especially as they’ve considerately avoided the ones we’ve been watching on here 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@htpbdet

On the subject of old episodes  – particularly looking forward to watching the remastered Unearthly Child on 12th Oct and discussing it with you – not so many of us on here remember it from first time around.   Hope you’re back posting by then, really missing you on here.

Personally I think if we’ve got to almost October in the anniversary year and all we’ve got to show for

And herein lies the problem: if I didn’t know better (and, of course, I do), it would be hard to distinguish this from ARSE.

Who is not the only BBC show and, although it is very important to the BBC it is not the only important thing, and it is under attack on many fronts. Plus, if nothing is being said, I think it is most likely because Moff doesn’t want it said (his approach is very different from RTD’s in this respect). Remember how ARSE-in-chief Levine has already ruined one big surprise.

Imagine how quickly even the 50th would be brushed aside if…oooh, I dunno…..a US president was assassinated… *shudders*

(No offence intended, of course, and not aimed at any individual – but it can be disconcertingly easy to spoil the atmosphere)

Anonymous @

@scaryb – is 12 October solid for An Unearthly Child?  I checked both BBC and Radio Times (and did a general search too) and all I can seem to find is that the 4 parts will be aired, but that news is tied to Mark Gatiss’ Adventures in Space & Time programme.  It seems to imply that UC will be aired in conjunction with that, and that’s in November.

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot Schedule for the old episodes (thanks to XAD4 for posting) –

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-09-25/classic-doctor-who-episodes-and-air-dates-confirmed-for-the-doctors-revisited

Sorry, I should read things more closely – I was confused cos it’s in Radio Times – it’s on Watch (2pm, Sats and Sundays, 12 Oct – 16 Nov)

(is the Doctors Revisited the same as the clips that @craig‘s been diligently unearthing and posting?)

The BBC schedule here – http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The-Day-of-the-Doctor-50th-Anniversary-Special-Update

Now where did I read the BBC will be screening the remastered An Unearthly Child…?

Rob @rob

well can’t copy the link but cultbox has an interview (well they quote an answer) regarding the face form Torchwood and Fires of Pompeii ie our new Doctor my wild guess is that the Doctor can imprint faces that have had a strong effect on him….. so one day the Doctor will look like Clara 😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@rob It’s in this interview, which I should share anyway.

We are aware that Peter Capaldi’s played a big part in Doctor Who before and we’re not going to ignore the fact, and Torchwood. I’ll let you in on this. I remember Russell told me he had a big old plan as to why there were two Peter Capaldis in the Who universe, one in Pompeii and one in Torchwood. When I cast Peter and [Russell] got in touch to say how pleased he was I said, ‘Okay, what was your theory and does it still work?’ He said ‘Yes it does, here it is.’ So I don’t know if we’ll get to it. We’ll play that one out over time. It’s actually quite neat.

Interesting. I’m thinking my original theory may be close (posted on the spoilers thread, but not such a spoiler now). http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/spoilers/page/8/#post-14774

@craig and @rob – nice to know that they’ve decided not to ignore it; it’ll be interesting to see what RTD came up with.

For that matter, it’s nice to know that RTD is still involved enough to keep in touch and share his old ideas. 🙂

Anonymous @

@pedant–

not aimed at any individual

Kind of hard not to take it personally when I’m the one being quoted. 😈

However, do take the point and you make some fair points there. And the last thing I would want is to be the one adversely affecting the tone of the site. I just do feel some personal dismay at the way the anniversary year has been handled. Sorry.

Anonymous @

Jeepers @jimthefish – my original comment to @pedant was simply to remind everyone that wolfweed’s blog was set up to absorb all the 50th non-celebration angst – which @phaseshift asked for specifically so that our crankiness (and I absolutely include myself in that category) didn’t infest all of the threads.

Aaaaaaaand Breath!

🙂

This place is special. Let’s’ keep it that way!

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Thanks for the interview link – that’s a really nice chat with Stephen (Love his socks – wonder if it was filmed in his house…). He looks a bit wary to start with, but then he warms up to it.

Couple of points – I love that there’s an RTD theory to cover for 2 Peter Capaldis in the universe, although now there’s presumably 3 of them! But I’m gutted that my pet he’s-chameleon-arched theory is knocked out the ball park though 🙁  Maybe the Torchwood Capaldi was thrown back in time by a weeping angel.

Also loved his explanation for why we see a lot of earth-based adventures, how the tardis navigates (yay! got that one right 🙂 )  and that the sonic has a “plot important inhibitor”.  As @bluesqueakpip mentioned it’s nice that RTD keeps in touch (was he not looking after a sick partner for a while?); it’s also nice to have it confirmed that they really do think through all the bonkers stuff, well some of it at least.

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant

Who is not the only BBC show and, although it is very important to the BBC it is not the only important thing

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@rob That’s an interesting idea re imprinting faces and @craig I like your theory that he takes something from his previous incarnation into the next (with the Amelia effect mitigating the darkness at the end of Ten)

Moffat’s comment: “where do all the faces come from?” and rules out randomly generated. Where indeed?!

ScaryB @scaryb

Congrats to Julie Gardner on winning the Sian Phillips Award at the Welsh Baftas (apparently she flew in from LA especially for it)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-tv/stars-come-out-shine-michael-6111756

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPaaTnfC9o
    Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner at BAFTA Cymru
    z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VinzBCTE4cc

Steven Moffat at BAFTA Cymru
    z

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@bluesqueakpip

For those who didn’t manage to get tickets to the Doctor Who Celebration – they now have a few tickets available. Because of the insane demand last time, they’ll be holding a ballot for them.

The ballot is now open, and will be open until 10am 30th Sept.

Just bobbed on to say thanks for this spot!  We managed to get some (having missed out last time due to forgetting about them til mid-afternoon)

Cheers 🙂

@osakahatter – glad you got some!

Anonymous @

@osakahatter – you lucky bugger!  What day did you get?

I signed up with 3 different email addresses; all 3 got this same response:

Unfortunately you have not been successful in your application to purchase tickets to the Doctor Who 50th Celebration.

If any of the balloted event tickets are not claimed within the allocated timeframe a second ballot will open. We will notify you by email. Please ensure you keep an eye on your emails for further news.

By the way, we’re planning a Forum get-together at a central London pub, on the Friday night that weekend (22nd Nov).  So far, I think @scaryb, @bluesqueakpip, @juniperfish, @craig, and @jimthefish (and Mrs TheFish) have RSVP’d.  I hope you are available, too.

And @ everyone else – this is an open invite for all Forum members.  Please @ reply me here, or PM me, so I can get some numbers together.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

Hi @Shazzbot

Very lucky – and happy – bugger!  We applied with 2 names/email addresses and were successful with one of them.  We’ve got tickets for the Sunday, coz Mrs Hatter works Saturdays.  Consequently, we’re having to do a flying visit to the smoke just for the day, so won’t be able to make the pub gathering.  Ta for the invite though!  You’ll have to live blog the night on the Rose and Crown for the rest of us… 😉

Anonymous @

@osakahatter – ah, drat.  Sorry we won’t see you and Mrs Hatter at the pub.  But cheers again for your good fortune in getting tickets for Sunday.

That’s an interesting idea, live-blogging the Forum gathering, though … hmmm … I assume that one of our number will have an internet-enabled phone and that might actually be a fun thing to do.  I would imagine that after a few rounds, though, the spelling will go tit’s-up and it could devolve into pictures of The Airedales begging for food 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@osakahatter and @Shazzbot

Yay! Well done Mr Hatter.  And yes, good idea re liveblogging in the Rose & Crown.  I can theoretically do it on my phone – may have the hang of it by then.  Am sure @craig or someone will have the necessary tech. Then we can be virtually here, and there, and the same time 🙂

PS So long as it isn’t pics Who-forumers begging for food, that’ll be fine 🙂

@Shazzbot

A pub you say?

Anonymous @

@pedant – yep, I guessed the Call of the Pub might wind itself your way.  🙂

Save Friday the 22nd of November.  I don’t think we’ve got a designated place yet; the main requirement is that it has to be dog-friendly (or, have a garden … which could be tricky, depending on late-November weather in London).  Do you have any suggestions?

@Shazzbot

Hmm. Garden pub in central London is tricky, espcially on a Friday night. I shall ponder.

Anonymous @

@pedant – East London is good, too, since @scaryb and @bluesqueakpip will be coming from the Excel with stories of their day at the 50th Celebration.  Sounds like you’re on the list to join us, then?  Please say yes …

Whisht @whisht

East London dog friendly pub…? well, there are a few park-pubs perhaps (eg Pub on The Park in London Fields)…

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Great choice. I love that pub, and they did great burgers last time I was there.

But can we organise a pub On The Sofa from now on please?

Sorry to do a bit of moderating.

Whisht @whisht

he he – two minds and all that Craig… (in terms of keeping it in one place as well as pubs!)

will post the rest of this reply over there….

RehydratedFruit @rehydratedfruit

Not sure where to put this, but I thought I’d let you know that one of the Dr Who novelists is writing a SciFi feature film.

You can find out all about it on the facebook page and it’s kickstarter which just launched:

http://www.facebook.com/AmythMovie

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1721571904/amyth-a-feature-film-pilot

wolfweed @wolfweed

Actress Karen Gillan was a guest on the ITV “show” Daybreak to promote her new film, Not Another Happy Ending. During the interview she talked about conventions, action figures, Peter Capaldi, The Fires of Pompeii and a female Doctor Who.

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/10/doctor-nations-dream-schedule/

Doctor Who has been named as the most-wanted drama in a dream TV schedule!

In a survey of 30,000 people, (carried out as part of the Radio Times’ anniversary celebrations), the good Doctor was rubbing shoulders with the likes of Only Fools and Horses, The Morecambe and Wise Show, and Blue Peter…

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.