On the Sofa (part 2)

Home Forums General On the Sofa (part 2)

This topic contains 918 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

a d

Happy 31st B-Day to Arthur Darvill.

curvedspace @curvedspace

I do want there to be more episodes, I really do. OTOH, I’d then have to go back and watch them. I’ve missed most of Troughton because they are incomplete or missing — so I’d have loads of eps to see. With Classic Who, that’s both good and bad. 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

strip

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

It’s a times like this I want to summon the spirit of Senator Vreenak in ST: DS9

“It’s a faaaaaake”. Wise words.

Massive backtracking on the missing episode rumour story.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/17/more-on-those-missing-doctor-who-episodes-or-less/

Very much “business as usual”.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Ha thanks for that. I knew really, because something identical happened in the 40th anniversary year. It’s probably the same guy!

Talking of buggers – the Guardian now have collapsible threads. Even more ways to ignore comments!

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – [from The Next Doctor thread]

Everyone ranks on Fear Her but I’m not sure I get it.  A monster in the closet?  Classic child-scaring.  A girl with special drawing powers?  Nice.  Maybe I’m not remembering it very well.  I’ll agree that there have been better episodes but for my money, Love and Monsters was the all-out, drag-down, most horrible episode of them all.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Shazzbot – oh, I quite liked Love and Monsters. It was only the Absorbaloff at the end which ruined it; up to then it was fine. It was the first of the ‘Doctor Lite’ experiments; if you see it that way then, y’know, it’s an experimental episode where bits worked and bits didn’t – paving the way for later and better ‘Doctor Lite’ episodes such as Blink. 

And also, having a ‘Doctor Lite/Companion Lite’ episode where much of the action is carried by non-regular characters probably saved the sanity of the production team and leading actors, because it gave them catch-up filming time.

Moffat later solved the problem by increasing Team Tardis to three regulars, plus one recurring and splitting up companions and Doctor much more; Crimson Horror is probably the closest to an official ‘Doctor Lite’ – and that comes in a part of the series where we’re back to one Companion. Fourteen minutes of filming that didn’t need either Matt Smith or Jenna Coleman.

Whereas, from the beginning of the episode, Fear Her never worked for me – though in mitigation, I believe it was one of those episodes that had to be written quickly to replace something else. That worked with Midnight, didn’t work with Fear Her. 

chickenelly @chickenelly

@Shazzbot

I see your Love and Monsters and raise you Planet of the Dead

Just the worst, in fact I had to look it up as I’d completely wiped it from my brain as it was so terrible.

Anonymous @

Oh, @bluesqueakpip – the ickyness factor at the end of Love and Monsters had me cringing in embarrassment for the writers, the actors, the DP, everyone.

I agree, it was nice to see the effect of the Doctor on people, and how their longing for more knowledge brought them together as a group – a group which didn’t really need the Doctor as a crutch by the end.  (I always did think of that bit of the episode as a love-letter to fans.  🙂 ) And as annoying as Rose’s mother could be, there was a sweetness to her scenes just getting on in daily life.

But, eeuuuww, ‘we can still have a relationship of sorts’.  I need a good hot shower even remembering that horrible, horrible line.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – help!  Which one was Planet of the Dead?

The one in the desert with David Tennant as Ten and Michelle Ryan as temporary Companion Lady Christina de Souza, international jewel thief.

Another one I thought was okay (and well liked by the general audience – appreciation index was 83).

I quite liked UNIT’s shock at bullets working on aliens. 😀

And apparently, Fear Her was aimed at the kids – so comes into the ‘Dinosaurs on a Spaceship’ category.

elwingt @elwingt

Just wanted to share this pretty awesome gif-set I found on tumblr. All the Doctors!

http://not-love-not-always.tumblr.com/post/52336466099

elwingt @elwingt

Sorry, I just cut in the conversation tho. Just saw that and needed to show it to some fellow Whovians! Enjoy!

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – thanks for the reminder.  I’m rubbish with episode names from before my having been sucked into the dark side of bonkers theorising.  🙂

@chickenelly – Aww, hey there my birdie friend, why didn’t you like Planet of the Dead?  I thought Michelle Ryan was a fantastic companion.  (She was a bit River-y, in that she was unflappable, completely prepared, and a bit flirtatious with 10.)  I thought the aliens were quite funny and there was a real sense of danger that they’d not get back.  There were plenty of normal people on the bus to round out the character list.  I haven’t watched it in years but I do have good memories / feelings.  Why have you wiped it from your memory banks?

HTPBDET @htpbdet

Hello all – but especially @phaseshift.

I have just realised that yesterday (the 18th) was the 40th Anniversary of the death of the wonderful Roger Delgado.

Did we mention that here anywhere and I just missed it?

Delgado

Such a great performance.

One of my favourite moments occurred in Sea Devils:
    Trenchard:            What are you watching?
    Master:                   It seems to be a rather interesting extra-terrestial form of life.
    Tranchard:            Only puppets, you know. For children.

Master:                   Oh…

Vale Roger Delgado!

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift                  #12493

Ahem….

http://www.planetmondas.com/

wolfweed @wolfweed

The missing episodes story re-ignites (Thanks to a certain Mr Levine!)…

(See also @htpbdet‘s post above)

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/06/19/rumours-discovery-90-lost-dr-who-episodes-send-fans-frenzy
    f c

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed @htpbdet

I love the sense of outrage Levine is summoning there.

“People at the BBC may not have been telling me the truth”, exclaims man who recently leaked the news of Matt Smiths departure.

Now that one is “take the biscuit” territory.

I’ll wait for an official announcement. 🙂

chickenelly @chickenelly

@Shazzbot

Aww, hey there my birdie friend, why didn’t you like Planet of the Dead?

Admittedly I only saw it once, so perhaps with a rewatch my opinion might be different.  However I hated it so much the first time around I’m not going anywhere near it.  I think the problem was that there seemed to be run of rather ropey episodes towards the end of RTDs run and this one was emblematic of them.  Instead of a nice, strong, simple storyline, it had a series of flashy events sewn together which for me didn’t meld.  I’d rant on for a bit, but as I mentioned upstream, I’ve wiped the horror from my brain and can’t remember any details.  Apart from Michelle Ryan who I do recall wasn’t very convincing.

Mind you, I’m the first to admit it might be down purely to taste.  Some of the listed favourite AG episodes of others I didn’t rate at all.

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@phaseshift

I loathe Ian Levine. He single-handedly gives Doctor Who fans a bad name.

His association with JNT was repellent, in every sense, and contributed to the damage caused to the programme.

The very best thing about the return of these episodes (if true) is that he has had to eat humble pie in public.

ScaryB @scaryb

@htpbdet

The very best thing about the return of these episodes (if true) is that he has had to eat humble pie in public.

Ahahahaha – absolutely agree. (and with @phaseshift‘s similar comment)

Am trying very very hard not to think about even the smidgeon of a possibility that they’ve recovered missing episodes of Hartnell and Troughton (esp good quality ones). But watching Ian Levine squirm is a nice distraction!

Thanks for the photo of Delgado, and the reminder of the anniversary of his passing.  The Clangers moment was indeed a classic.  BBC website is featuring tribute to the Master this week  (all incarnations but leading with RD)

Going to distract myself with another chunk of Broadchurch which I’ve finally managed to get my hands on – thanks to @bluesqueakpip, @jimthefish and everyone who recommended. At #3 so far and very impressed.

wolfweed @wolfweed

You are here.
    sofa

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/06/bbc-statement-missing-episodes-190613210917.html

It’s true, it’s false, it’s true, it’s false…

This is more like ‘Big Brother Secrets & Lies’ than ‘Big Brother Secrets & Lies’ is…

Is Ian Levine the mole?
    f c

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@scaryb

Broadchurch is just divine. I have just finished it myself.

Therapy you know….very recuperative.

Cheers

ProfessorRiverSong @professorriversong

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, actually, on any forum since Easter when my old forum wasn’t paid for on time… and killed. 🙁 So… I feel the need to introduce myself, you guys can call me ProfessorRiverSong, my FAVORITE character.I have been a whovian for 6 months, the best 6 months of my life:). I own the Dalek alarm clock, one pin, two t-shirts, and a samsung chromebook for watching and posting on.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome, @professorriversong! I bet your alarm clock is an actual Dalek! That would wake you up in the morning (and keep you on your toes)! Long may the Whovian joy continue!

Meanwhile, folks,
    cc11 sma

Crazy Captions 11 demands your absurd witticisms.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

As I do a bit of graphic design I really loved this article about designing the new “Regeneration” DVD box set. Will probably be adding it to my collection even though they’re not often the best episodes. It looks quality.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/26084/designing-the-doctor-who-regeneration-dvd-set

Doctor Who Regeneration DVD box set cover

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

Thanks for the link – did you post this before?  It’s interesting the designer was given the go-ahead in January – ie to include Matt’s regeneration on the cover.  And I love that they decided to go b/w – haha – gets round the problem of Baker’s coat.

While I really like the products the Beeb have been coming up with for the anniverary year, their celebration plans had better not all be about merchandising ie screwing as much dosh out of the fans as possible

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Waves fishily at everyone, including newcomers 🙂 So much to catch up on after only a short time away!

Nice idea on the Talons re-watch.

Aww I guess everyone has already seen Matt with very short hair and his post-it note thankyou to fans on the BBC Doctor Who website? <sniffs> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bqbpb

ScaryB @scaryb

<Waves back @juniperfish>

We’ve missed you 😥

Matt with his very short hair and his very sticky out ears – yes, and it’s lovely 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hi @juniperfish – yep, definitely missed your theorisingsingnessing!

Left a red blue song or two on the Music thread you might find fun….

;¬)

MzellePoisson @mzellepoisson

Hello everyone!

I am from “a different planet” according to Doctor Ten, (France XXI century not XVIII). I discovered this little community on Dan Martin’s blog. Your comments helped me a lot to understand the show (I miss a lot of details, reference, and the actors speak too fast, or my English is not good enough, pick one), so I follow you here.

It is time to try to catch up…

Whisht @whisht

@mzellepoisson – bonjour!

well, “catching up” is a great idea – so much so that some people here are catching up on old shows as we wait for the 50th!

Plenty of other stuff too, so feel free to tell us about the TV you grew up with, which is ‘your’ Doctor or any other nonsense!

;¬)

Timeloop @timeloop

Welcome to everyone new! Great place for Doctor Who! The only one I have ever been to, but still….

Roadrunner77 @roadrunner77

Hi Everyone.

Craig has given me permission to post in here.

I Am a volunteer at colchester z00. it is the zoos 5oth birthday this year. to raise money for the zoo i came up the idea of getting one of the zoos standtall giraffe signed by some of the doctor who guests that were at showmasters event collectormania.

Colchester zoo will be auction off the giraffe and all the money taken for the giraffe will go to the zoo.

please can you guys spread the word .

thank you for reading.

thanks Craig for letting me post this

This is the info on the giraffe so far. i may take him to London film and comic con.

https://www.facebook.com/ColchesterZoo?ref=stream&hc_location=timeline

Craig @craig
    Emperor

I did, by the way. @roadrunner77 was kind enough to email me first to ask if it was okay to post.

Anonymous @

Richard Matheson dies, aged 87

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/jun/25/richard-matheson-dies-aged-87

“Matheson, who was born in Allendale, New Jersey, in 1926 and raised in Brooklyn, New York, first began publishing science fiction and horror stories in the 1950s.

His 1954 horror novel I Am Legend is considered a landmark work in the genre, ushering in zombies and apocalyptic themes to post-second world war America.  The novel was adapted three times as a film, most recently in 2007 as a big-budget thriller of the same name starring Will Smith, but earlier in 1964 as The Last Man on Earth and in 1971 as Omega Man.

Matheson also wrote the teleplay Nightmare at 20,000 Feet in 1963 for television series The Twilight Zone.  The episode, which stars William Shatner, has become a much-referenced TV classic with a famous shot of a gremlin peering into the window of the plane from its wing.

Other movie adaptations have included Hell House and What Dreams May Come.  The author wrote the screenplay for 1971’s Duel, one of director Stephen Spielberg’s first films.

He was credited as a writer on at least 80 film and television productions over his career spanning seven decades.”

Another death – this one from the world of popular archaeology. Professor Mick Aston, lead archaeological consultant on Time Team for most of its run, has died.

janetteB @janetteb

Saddened by the news about Mick Aston. He appeared to be genuinely enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge and expertise and endeavoured to make Time Team educational as well as entertaining. It is the second death for me this week, two too many.

Janette

tvstoredude @tvstoredude

RIP Matheson…..

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

We may have to limit bad news on the Sofa if it’s going to kill the Forum like that. 😉 Sad news on both.

As I’m allergic to YouTube films of kittens doing something hilarious, have something else to lighten the atmosphere!

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – nice clip!  And a slow forum is the result of the BBC doing bupkiss for us (at least here in the UK) for their vaunted ‘Mega-Special 50th Anniversary Year ™ ‘.  So much for The Moff’s insistence that we’d have oodles on our plates (Rule 1: yada yada).

@wolfweed – maybe this should be a Caption Competition?  Have I Got News For You from April 2012:  (can’t do a screen shot; see http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01gxn24/Have_I_Got_a_Bit_More_News_for_You_Series_43_Episode_2/  and jump to 37:51)

Doctor Who Wanted to Cover __________  In  __________

[Graham Linehan: ‘Tardis in prostitute cards’]

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – I agree, a lightened mood is necessary!  So, I present you with cheezburger:

https://allthingsfunnydoctorwho.cheezburger.com/

WARNING:  2nd item down is a kitten doing something cute.  Have your antihistamenes ready, Phasey.  🙂

The fake nails (4th item down) are actually a bit disturbing.

chickenelly @chickenelly

@Shazzbot

I suspect those cupcakes might have artificial colouring in them.  With that level of food awareness, next stop Masterchef.

Oh, and those nails are disturbing, the nail with the Silent on it looks like it is has a severe fungal infection. [In a nice cheery way I might add.]

Anonymous @

@chickenelly – I’m so glad you referenced MasterChef (which I used to adore but since learning years ago that all dishes are judged stone-cold, I have less reverance for) — but the real reference for those day-Glo cupcakes should be ‘Great British Bakeoff’ [celebrity version].

Imagine … a Doctor Who-themed GBB!  Enough of those Colusseums and birdhouses, let’s get people making live-action Daleks through the medium of Victoria sponge.

No soggy bottoms!  🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

sd sma

Crazy Captions 12 wings it’s way towards you thanks to @Shazzbot

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

A bizarre little feature on Dan Starkey at a convention in the Guardian at the moment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/us-news-blog/2013/jun/26/strax-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-sontarans

I must say, I do like the sound of some of his proposed follow-ups to the Songtaran Carols. Especially if it included War: What is it Good For? (Everything! It’s the basis of an entire civilisation!)

janetteB @janetteb

32 pages of Dr Who silliness. Wonderful. Thanks for the link @Shazzbot. It was just what I needed after a busy day. Those nails are deeply distrubing and I must admit that beautiful though those cakes are, I could not imagine eating them. I do want that blanket though. We have the scarf. Bought it for younger son’s birthday. We now only need a hat to complete the T.B. outfit.

Cheers

Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘On the Sofa (part 2)’ is closed to new replies.