Companions past and present

Home Forums General Companions past and present

This topic contains 924 replies, has 132 voices, and was last updated by  MagicKirin 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 924 total)
  • Author

OI! I look exactly like my avatar!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Well, I’m going to be quite surprised if I find out that @jimthefish isn’t Peter Capaldi’s forum name… 😈

Timeloop @timeloop

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if we ever discussed that Clara used the exact same or nearly the same sentences as River did sometimes? Did that ever come up? I would have to rewatch it to give examples though – will have to wait for proper internet to do that. Just wanted to revisit that in case it comes up in the 50th or the christmas special.

The closest one I can remember is this : River “I have pictures of all your faces” Clara: “I have seen all of you” (TNOTD granted not the best one yet, will evolve on that one once I regain full internet-access again and rewatched everything with River)

spikeguy86 @spikeguy86

So I had a question. By the end of the 10th Doctor, most humans seem to know about aliens. But when I watched the 11th Doctor it seemed like Amy didn’t know about them. Did something happen where humanity forgot (timey-whimey) or am I misinterpreting her reactions?

wolfweed @wolfweed

@spikeguy86 – Time was rewritten when the Universe was rebooted.

Nick @nick

@timeloop

I wondered about that as well. I thought I saw a River reference in “run you pretty boy and remember” .

Nick

spikeguy86 @spikeguy86

When did the universe get rebooted? And was all of time re-written, because River’s timeline seems to be intact (more or less). Does this mean none of the world remembers the 10th Doctor?

@spikeguy86 – it would help if you watch the finale to Series 5. I’m presuming that you haven’t, because the reboot of the universe was … pretty noticeable.

spikeguy86 @spikeguy86

You’re talking about Big Bang Two. From what I read it did reboot the Universe but the actions of the previous Doctors still took place. A wiki article mentioned an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures that happened after the reboot stating actions from previous Doctors. Plus, River’s journal had it’s contents returned. And from the latest season, we know River still ends up in the Library so she met the 10th Doctor. My question is, do humans, institutions like Torchwood and UNIT still know about the Doctor and Aliens during the first episode of the 11th Doctor when he is looking for Prisoner Zero and does Amy Pond know about the events of the 10th Doctor (Cybermen, Daleks, etc)? That episode was before the Big Bang.

@spikeguy86 – have you read about Doctor Who or actually watched the episodes? Because the answers to most of your questions can be obtained by watching the episodes.

The reason Amy can’t remember the Daleks, for example, is explained later in Series 5.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@spikeguy86 – UNIT know about aliens. Torchwood was blown up. Humans seem less likely to know about aliens (see Amy not remembering the Daleks in ‘Victory of the Daleks’).
    z

@wolfweed – and Clara, Artie and Angie all seem entirely happy with the idea that the Doctor’s an alien.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Good point, @bluesqueakpip

spikeguy86 @spikeguy86

OK cool. It just seems after everything that has happened, someone would say “oh come on not again.” And funny story: I’ve watched the series very out of order. My friend first got me into it by suggesting I watch the episodes with the weeping angels. So I started at the midpoint of Series 3, watched through to Voyage of the Damned, skipped ahead to the one with Matt Smith, then finished Series 3 and 5. Then I went back to the beginning of the reboot and am watching through all the episodes. I’m only now getting to the Matt Smith episodes.

@spikeguy86 – ah, that explains it. Sorry for being a little brusque. 🙁

When you watch S5 in order, you’ll realise that Amy not remembering aliens is a major plot point.

@spikeguy86 – it would probably be more accurate to say that the universe was reset – ‘reboot’ as just a hip turn of phrase from the Doc – but a few people were left with a dual set of memories: those who experienced the process of the reset remember it happened (The Doc has, several times, explained that he and his crew are part of events, so remember them – unless, of course, the plot demands that they don’t 😉 ).

Watching S5 in order would certainly help. Even weak Moff era Who generally rewards repeat viewing anyway.

KelseaChelsea @sirkelseachelsea

I’m not a huge fan of Steven Moffat as showrunner.  I think he’s a brilliant writer, but I’m not here for his time as Producer.  I think his female characters are regressive, especially in comparison to the wonderfully larger than life Donna Noble and fantastic Rose Tyler.  Amy, whose main storylines were a) being kidnapped b) giving birth inside a box and c) deciding if she fancied the Doctor or Rory…well they didn’t really grip me in any way.  I found her unlikeable and sadly Rory became irritating too.  Clara, I like a lot.  But I think that is more to do with Jenna Coleman’s likeability rather than the writing.  Clara is a little bit vanilla so far.  I’m looking forward to the anniversary special, but I don’t think the public really give a hoot about ‘the mystery of the Doctor’ or his real name; that’s a fannish occupation.  They should keep the mystery intact and stop making such a big deal about ‘the Doctor’s past’ or whatever.  Yes, it’s the anniversary, but Steven’s preoccupation with ‘mythbusting’ is really tiring.

I can’t wait for Peter Capaldi to appear fully formed as the Doctor!

I can’t stand River Song.  I’m sorry but she’s like some strange stalker and not even death can stop her harassment!  I’m sorry if you’re a huge fan, I’m not!

Anonymous @

Well, @sirkelseachelsea , you certainly have strongly held opinions.  Unfortunately, you haven’t provided very much background to any of your assertions.

I’m interested in this one:  “and sadly Rory became irritating too”.  If you’ve had the time to mosey around this website prior to providing us with your bon mots on this thread, you’ll know how we are in thrall to anyone with a good theory, backed up by the facts of the programme.

If you’re not a drive-by troll, then I’m sure you’ll be enthusiastic about giving all of us your detailed explanation of how Rory as a character was initially not irritating, and how / when he became irritating to you.

@Shazzbot

Ah, you want me to explain or justify my opinions.  Okay, I’ll do it and with luck you’ll possibly see my perspective.

I actually liked Rory in Season 5.  I’ve never been a fan of that awful ‘geek gets the hot girl’ trope, but Steven seems quite fond of it.  That aside, it felt very real to me that someone like Rory would desperately chase around a girl who had no time or interest in him.  By Season Six, however, he was walking around dressed as a Roman, acting ‘tough’ with the Cybermen.  I thought it was awful.  It didn’t ring true for me in the slightest.  I’m not wholly convinced by Arthur Darville’s ‘hard man’ acting, but the one character I thought believeable became…well, completely unbelieveable.  I also didn’t buy the great Amy/Rory love story because – and this is important to me – I feel they had absolutely NO sexual onscreen chemistry whatsoever!  There wasn’t a single spark between them.  They clearly didn’t fancy each other and they couldn’t act it onscreen in a way that convinced me.

And I’m not a troll.  I don’t own a bridge.  It’s just my opinion and of course I don’t mind others not sharing it.

I like it when they do, obviously!

Ah, you want me to explain or justify my opinions!

@sirkelseachelsea – yes. If you cast your eye on other posts on this forum, you’ll find that it’s expected that people justify their opinions and/or bonkers theories. When people don’t, it’s usually because we’re in the middle of the conversation and readers already know what scene(s) their opinion is based on.

It feels to me as if your reading of Rory is very close to Rory’s opinion of himself, so props to Arthur Darvill for conveying it so well.

I thought his most believable ‘tough guy’ moment in A Good Man Goes To War wasn’t the facing down Cybermen moment – it was the point near the end when the Doctor’s friends were drawing into a circle to protect Baby Melody. Rory draws not just his Roman sword, but also a gun.

Rory’s central personality throughout is very consistent: he’s a nurse. His job is saving lives. When he starts to travel with the Doctor, he finds himself in a position where ‘saving lives’ sometimes means fighting. He starts off doing this badly (Vampires in Venice and broom-fu); circumstances mean that he gets upgraded with MadRomanArmySkillz – but he’s never a ‘tough guy’; he’s always doing the fighting because it’s the only way to get his wife back/protect his child/save someone’s life.

Sexual chemistry is tricky, since it’s so subjective. By the time we got to Angels Take Manhattan, I was perfectly happy that Rory and Amy are the most important people in each other’s lives. The amount of time they spend lip-locked is a bit of a clue. 🙂

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – just re-watched The Doctor’s Wife on iPlayer.  Rory’s role as nurse, toward the end with Idris/Tardis, was especially tenderly portrayed.  Plus his exchange with the Doctor afterward I thought was telling:

The Doctor:  You OK?
    Rory:  No.  I watched her die.  I shouldn’t let it get to me.  But it still does … I’m a nurse.
    The Doctor:  Letting it get to you.  You know what that’s called, that’s being alive.  Best thing there is.  Being alive right now, that’s all that counts.

Obviously have reasons to think that ‘being alive right now’ is a good thing, and a sad thing simultaneously, for those who aren’t alive right now.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Many thanks to @Shazzbot for moving the posts in the end. The Day is long, and my PC needs a reboot.

@sirkelseachelsea

As your posts seemed more about companions than the 50th, this is probably the best thread.

@Shazzbot – yes, Rory’s always very consistent. When the monster of the week attacks someone, Rory’s generally the person checking whether or not they’re dead.

You can understand what Amy sees in him – he’s her complement.  Throughout her time with the Doctor, Amy’s always abrasive, short-fused and wants wild adventures. Until she loses her baby, when she starts slowly drawing back (Town Called Mercy, where Amy suggests they go home). Rory’s caring, he’s calm and he’s a natural grown-up. But he is willing to go on adventures (Power of Three) and he’s also got a sharp eye for what’s really happening. We see that right at the start, in the Eleventh Hour. 

So you’ve got the sort of couple you find surprisingly often in creative industries (at least, I’d guess that’s where Moffat observed this); the ‘kite’ – who’s all for flying wherever the creative winds take them and their ‘anchor’ – who keeps them safely connected to the ground.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – it’s just late enough that my romantic side really loves your ‘kite / anchor’ analogy for romance in general.  And for Amy and Rory it’s especially apt.

And it’s just late enough that my cynical side says ‘Bullpucky’ in terms of real life.  Kites and anchors remind me of ‘Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.’  It’s all well and good for a short time – but they’ll drive each other nutzo in short order.

@shazzbot – you’ve never met a couple like that, then?

They’re not common, I admit, but you do get them. They’re the actor/writer/artist whose partner works 9 to 5. Everyone always wonders how the hell they ended up together – and then you finally realise that the creative values the stability. They want somewhere they can always come back to. And the ‘stable’ partner values the excitement. Without their partner, they’d never do anything beyond the 9 to 5.

There will also often be some comment along the lines of ‘they’re not like that at home’ when people ask how one can put up with the other. See Power of Three for Amy ‘not being like that at home’. 🙂

Anonymous @

Hiya @bluesqueakpip – further on the ‘kite / anchor’ discussion, there’s also Amy’s Choice where the Doctor’s image of one possible Amy was her pregnant and baking, barefoot in the kitchen.  She’s definitely the ‘kite’ – but the Doctor thought she could also be the ‘anchor’ …

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip @Shazzbot

I’ve met couples like Amy and Rory (kite and anchor – love it) – when it works, it works well. Bluesqueakpip explains it perfectly. Amy/Rory works for me, especially as they both grow a lot throughout their time with the Doctor – fulfilling a potential neither is likely to have achieved without the catalyst of the Dr –  couples like that often have a quiet chemistry. Lot of people mistake Rory’s quietness and apparent pliability for weakness. But he’s the kind of guy who will only let himself be pushed precisely as far as he wants. Then he’ll just dig his heels in and stop. Best male role model in DW 🙂

Btw kite and anchor reminded me of John Donne’s poem, comparing lovers with a compass –

Such wilt thou be to me, who must,
    Like th’ other foot, obliquely run ;
    Thy firmness makes my circle just,                                 
    And makes me end where I begun

If you want to read the rest it’s here – A Valediction Forbidding Mourning

First time I’ve read it for a while – I love it, but I tear up every time I read it 🙂

Anonymous @

@scaryb

And makes me end where I begun

Ahhh … just like (hopefully) the 50th anniversary special will do for Doctor Who – back to @bluesqueakpip ‘s ‘closed loop’ theory … 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip @Shazzbot

Sorry – typo in my last post, and missed the edit window – compass should read compasses (as in set of; for drawing circles )

😳

the Doctor’s image

@Shazzbot – I think that was Rory’s image. Just as Amy later ‘remembers’ Rory as this gorgeous hunk (Wedding of RS), Rory ‘dreams’ of Amy as a domestic goddess.

Mind you, even in his dreams, he still acknowledges that Amy’s going to kill the Doctor for landing on the flower-beds. 🙂

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – I guess this is more of an Amy’s Choice discussion, not a Companions debate, but … wasn’t it clear that everything about both dreamworlds was all about the Doctor?  The pollen?  The person who hates him more than anyone else (himself)?

I went through all of HTPBDET’s Guardian posts for his book recently, so this is fresh in my mind (gaww, he really hated the ‘pollen’  🙂  ).  Is it possible that the pregnant/baking Amy was Rory’s dream?

You think the Doctor would dream of his mates living in Upper Leadworth? With Rory finally becoming a Doctor? Amy pregnant? The Doctor dreaming of happy domesticity?

Naah, Amy’s Choice is a mix of Rory and the Doctor’s dreams. Because the Doctor’s older and mentally stronger, his ideas of a fun time (an exciting adventure) seeps into both dreamworlds. But Amy-the-domestic-goddess and Rory-the-Doctor in home-village-gone-upmarket point to Rory having some input into the nature of the dream.

Amy was probably in deep sleep when the pollen hit, so doesn’t get her own dream; appropriate, because she has to choose between the two dream worlds of ‘her boys’.

[Oh, and now we know the Doctor’s real relationship to her, Rory and the Doctor were indeed ‘her boys’. Husband and son (in-law). ]

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

My top 5 companions

1. Sarah Jane
    2. Jamie
    3. Jo
    4. Harry
    5. Leela

GroovyLord @groovylord

Clara is the best, and I hope she’s on for years! At least say 2 and a half seasons, to match Amy’s run.

I’ve loved all the current companions, and Rose is tough to top, a very fun character and the definitive companion for me. Clara’s just getting started though, and I find her quite groovy frankly folks

Whogal99 @whogal99

Well I for one am a big fan of Donna. This woman is just astounding.  She is like the Doctor’s sister in a way.  Considering how they would always fight, but, it would always be funny, and they would get along at certain times too. But I also like Donna because she is a companion who has no love interest towards the Doctor, she would just treat as she would any other person. She might be considered ordinary but the way how she was with the Doctor is entirely different. She went out in a depressing way, but that just means she was the best

Thesteelspine @thesteelspine

Am I the only one, but would a Spanish or American companion be awesome? Or even an Asian?

@thesteelspine – American companion – Peri (Fifth and Sixth Doctors).

Asian companion: Chang Lee (Eighth Doctor).

So you could certainly have an Asian or American companion again. Or a Spanish companion. I think the only thing against it is statistics: the producers are working from the pool of actors in British Equity. So it’s statistically more likely that the person who ‘nails’ the role at the casting will be a Brit. Peri was deliberately planned as an American (and ended up being played by a Brit). Chang Lee was a Canadian actor cast in Canada, when Doctor Who was filming there.

DiscoStu @discostu

Favourite companions:  Ace, Sarah Jane Smith, K9, Kamelion…… the others I can take or leave.

Worst companion:  Rose (so bloody awful)

Favourite new series companion:  Clara…… all of the others I can take or leave as well, except Rose for the aforementioned reason.

Serahni @serahni

Hi guys,

Just joined the forums, still finding my way around.  Been a Whovian since I was a kid but I guess I never really got into forum culture.

Anyway!

Favourite Companions:  Clara, Sarah Jane and Romana

Worst Companion:  As an Australian, Tegan used to bug the heck out of me.

Favourite New Series Companion:  http://www.scribd.com/doc/196363691/Why-Clara-Oswald-is-My-Favourite-Companion

Sorry, I couldn’t write a short explanation.  >.>

Looking forward to next year and now off to read the rest of the forums.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@serahni if you’re looking for other Doctor Who forums, Planet Mondas is a good one. I’m a member there myself.

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

I haven’t posted here yet… hmmm! My favourite companions are Ian and Jamie.

@serahni – Welcome to the forums!

Serahni @serahni

Thanks for the welcome, guys!  And I’m only partway through reading this thread and already my mind is a messy whirl of theories and possibilities.  Exciting!  When I purged myself of my Clara-love in the piece I linked in the last one, I unjustly failed to mention the TARDIS who has, of course, been the ultimate of all companions in a sense.  Then you guys made me excited to see if the writing of the next series actually MAKES anything of this jumble and I am at least hopeful that there is something more to come of the Clara-thing before she’s gone.

But me, I’m just a hopeless sucker for metaphor, I think.  And broad-sweeping gestures.  And getting access to a bigger-picture Doctor, which was the part of the River story that I enjoyed.  I just hope there’s more significance, I guess, and not that this was just another boy-meets-girl-and-inspires-her-to-save-the-universe theme.

alpha48135 @alpha48135

I’ve only recently started watching Doctor Who in the last few months and I’ve caught up with everything from Eccleston thru Matt Smith, and I don’t know if this has been discussed before, but if Donna had to have her memory of the Doctor wiped because of regeneration energy, then how did Rose survive and remember the Doctor after he took back the energy of the Tardis?

Arbutus @arbutus

@alpha48135

Welcome! As I understand it, Rose absorbed the energy of the time vortex, which the Doctor removed from her before it could destroy her; in the act of saving her, he killed himself and was forced to regenerate. Donna, on the other hand, actually became part time lord due to the metacrisis, and it was the knowledge/understanding intrinsic to a time lord that was destroying her. The Doctor could only remove this by removing all of her memories of everything to do with him and their travels. Even so, it doesn’t seem that he was able to do more than mask the knowledge; he couldn’t actually remove it from her, only hide it. Anything that brought back the memories of her travels in time and space would uncover it.

Brewski @brewski

Hello all.  Well, I realize this probably isn’t meant to be a poll, but I might as well toss in my 2 bits.

New companions, it would have to be Donna.  I can re-watch that pantomime scene when she finds 10 and laugh at it every time.

Classic: Have to say Ace.  How can you not love someone who’ll beat the crap out of a Dalek with a baseball bat?

And just to be clear, I have admitted elsewhere to being WAY off the bell curve by saying I actually LIKE Adric.

As far as worst companions go, I generally don’t like to get involved in that discussion.  There are always going to be characters who work or don’t-work for you.  And to bash on that is kinda unfair to the actors.

Now… having said that: can someone please please PLEASE steal a TARDIS, go back in time, and make Mel Bush go away?!  Honestly, to this day I have nightmares about a giant, bouncing, screaming The-Prisoner Ball.  {shudder}

ConfusedPolarity @confusedpolarity

@brewski – I agree with you completely with Donna as a more recent companion: she was just in it for the adventure and the joy of travelling with the Doctor as a pal and I loved that.

Of the BG companions, well, Sarah Jane is the first I remember well, and will always have a special place in my heart. Intelligent young women with careers and a willingness to ask questions were a novelty in those days; if you’d asked me at age 8 what I wanted to be when I grew up I’d have said “a journalist” and I’m pretty sure Sarah Jane had an influence on that.

As a “team” I’d go for the Second Doctor, Jamie and Zoe, for the sheer childlike fun and enjoyment of each other’s company they exuded.  Who wouldn’t have wanted to travel with them?  Of all the farewells over the years, theirs at the end of The War Games is the only one that still makes me watery-eyed (and I wasn’t even born when it was first shown).

I do have a soft spot for Ace too; Sophie Aldred and Sylvester McCoy were fantastic.  It’s always seemed to me very unfair that things were on the up for Doctor Who when that pest Grade came along and cancelled it.

Oswald @oswald

Favourite Companions: Clara, Donna and Amelia & Rory (you can’t have one without the other!)

Worst Companion: Ooh this is a tough one. I’ve only seen a couple of ClassicWho stories, so I don’t really have much of an opinion in that regard. Martha Jones, however, would probably be my least favourite companion. Just hear me out for a minute, please. She was completely overshadowed by Rose which is something nearly everyone can agree on and she never really had a chance to shine properly in my opinion. But the end of season three definitely brought out the brave, strong, smart ‘Martha Jones’ we all knew was there but had been pushed aside a bit; then, I started to love her. When she appeared in season four (and in Torchwood), I liked her a lot, lot more because she was out of Rose’s shadow and was her own character. So I really can’t say she is my least favourite character. However the episodes wherein she appeared and I liked her the most, she wasn’t the Doctor’s-Long-Term-Companion so….

Favourite New Series Companion: I can’t choose one, I really can’t. Donna Noble was just hilarious and outrageous. Her relationship with the Doctor is probably the nicest I’ve seen. She just wants to explore the universe with the knight in…a blue suit who whisked her away from her mundane life. The Doctor treated her as his equal which is something he didn’t really do with Amelia in my opinion, he always expected her not to know what was going on and to entertain him with questions which kind of annoyed me.

That being said….Amy Pond. I love her, a lot. She was feisty, smart (something which people seem to forget. We see this throughout the series. However I will admit that her intelligence was really only shown after she pieced everything together) and she was just cool. I definitely like Series 7 Amy more because she was calmer and more rationale than before, as shown in A Town Called Mercy when she wants to go home. I was bawling, literally bawling after The Angels Take Manhattan. Though I’m quite emotionally sensitive anyway so when my favourite character eventually left I was a wreck, oops. Her cameo at the end of The Time of the Doctor made me an emotional wreck again, thanks Karen.

Going back to my previous statement of “You can’t have one without the other!”,  it’s Rory Pond’s….I mean Rory Williams’ turn. The cute hero who would (and did) do anything and everything for Amy. He was reasonable and intelligent. He cared about everyone he met. Apart from Hitler. Go back in the damn cupboard Hitler. Rory was just so amazing, I love him. He and Amy contrasted each other when they first started out but as the series progressed you could see that he had managed to become more action-y, thanks to Amy, and Amy became more rationale, thanks to Rory. I was pretty pissed off in The Angels Take Manhattan when the Doctor seemed to care solely about Amy’s demise. That really annoyed me. But it was a heroic defeat (kinda) for Rory the Roman so I was happy with how it was carried out in the end.

Finally we move (I, I move. I doubt anyone is even going to bother with reading this to be honest)  on to Clara Oswald, the Impossible Girl. To tell you the truth I don’t really know why I like Clara, I just do. I’m pretty sure she’s the only companion who actually does as the Doctor says as seen in Cold War, though if she’s not please forgive me for thinking so. Oh and Clara in The Time of The Doctor made me laugh so hard and also cry quite a lot because she just cared so much and didn’t give up. The scene with the Christmas cracker in particular was just so heartbreaking for me. I think that’s why I like Clara. She cares, like Rory; She doesn’t give up, like Amy; and she’s funny, as well as strong, like Donna. She has inherited the best traits from each of my favourite companions and she uses them well. She’s just great overall, haha.

So, uh, yeah? I guess those are my two (four) cents on the companions and stuff. A good first post if I may say so myself.

Arbutus @arbutus

I’ve been meaning for some time to come on here and wax lyrical about my love for Donna Noble, so here it is! On first watching the AG episodes, I always enjoyed the companions, but they never felt as perfect to me as some of the Doctor’s BG friends. I liked that Rose was tough, brave, and loyal; I didn’t like that she was sometimes bitchy, that she grew very possessive of the Doctor, that she was pretty self-centred a lot of the time (see her treatment of Mickey, for example). I liked that Martha was smart and educated, that she had a career, and that she had loads of self-confidence. I didn’t like that she fell for the Doctor almost instantly, and carried on even knowing that he was an alien, a thousand years old, and quite possibly in love with another woman. Agh!

And then came Donna. She was loud, annoyingly pushy, and very unsympathetic toward our beloved Doctor. What a breath of fresh air! The expression on his face as she sniped away at him, and he turned to the console and gritted out, “Right! Chiswick!” Brilliant. They loathed one another.

But then followed the little moments where they stopped snarking and starting actually talking. And the wonderful moment as they segwayed down a corridor, and she looked at him and suddenly got the giggles, and he completely understood, and laughed with her.

In the end, he offered to take her with him in the TARDIS. She had a strong enough sense of herself to feel that this was not a good idea for her, but also the perception to see that he really needed a friend, and to advise him to find one. But she came to regret her choice, and like many of us in the audience, dreamed wistfully of finding the doctor again and going off with him to see the cosmos. She yearned for the stars. (I remember being a teenager and seeing Star Wars, and wishing that it was really like that, so that I could travel in space and see all those people and creatures, and share the adventure. I know just how Donna felt!)

She was older: attractive, but not a bombshell. Not a gorgeous young thing like Rose, Martha, Amy, or Clara. Not to take anything away from those lovely ladies, but why can we not have more companions who look and act like most of us normal people? She wasn’t fearless. I loved the scene in the Sontaran Stratagem, when she was stuck on the Sontaran ship, and had to leave the safety of the TARDIS to help the doctor. She was so afraid, but she did it because she had to. Her pride when she clobbered that Sontaran was wonderful to see.

Like all the companions, she was smart and imaginative. But she was perhaps the least selfish of the AG companions. She wasn’t possessive of the doctor, she was his friend. They snarked at one other, seriously at first, with affection later on. She told him off when she felt he needed it. But she would have done just about anything for him (and he for her). She was thrilled for him when he met Rose again, and showed no hostility toward Martha when they met. She wanted to travel with the Doctor forever, doing good, because it was worthwhile, because it was fun. It broke my heart that she had to leave the way she did, and when she looked right through him at the end, dismissing him without recognition, the way it needed to be, it was heartbreaking.

In my view, Donna was everything that a companion could and ought to be. I wish we could have more like her!

Anonymous @

@arbutus yes of course, what a lovely post and I agree. When we see Donna talking to Tenn and saying ‘hi’ and poking about in the fridge as she’s known to do without any awareness of who The Doctor was…truly sad. And when the Doctor hears the Ood’s mournful parting dirge, allows Donna to hear it and she says: “turn it off. Please. I can’t bear it.” The frailty of us humans. What we cause but then cannot live with.

As for @oswald, great post !!  I agree with your views of Amy. I recall her being extremely clever in the first two episodes: The Beast Below was solved by Amy (!) and in The Eleventh Hour both her and Rory helped solve the Prisoner Zero issue -or so we thought at the time. Her bravery when letting go of her daughter & knowing she couldn’t have any more children: very difficult to tell adequately in a family show (IMO it could have been given more depth and colour).

We love the Doctor. But we need the companions. Kindest, purofilion

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 924 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.