On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 1,124 replies, has 73 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 1,125 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Dr Funkenstein returns…

wolfweed @wolfweed

David Bradley at the ‘Science of the Time Lords’ at the National Space Centre, yesterday…

(Photo sourced from this chap: https://twitter.com/damnfinelad)

winston @winston

Hello everyone! I have started my own exploration of BG Who with a dvd from my library of 3 Tom Baker episodes called the E-Space Trilogy. It has Full Circle, State of Decay and Warrior’s Gate.The companions are K9, Romana and Adric so I will meet another  lady time lord. The library has just got quite a few of these dvds that cover stories from each Doctor so I will work my way through them in whatever order they come in. I look forward to learning more about the Doctor and his past companions. I love the library!

ichabod @ichabod

@xadr4   She was amazing, and served as a powerful stimulus to numbers of American women who’d been SF fans for decades in secret — trashy space adventure for boys, as we were all told by librarians (poor things) who tried to steer us away.  Ursula did this incredible thing of get a book out there that crossed the SF ghetto walls and won admiration and recognition on *both* sides.  And she was clearly not writing for “boys” but for adults.  All of ’em.  I’m not the only one who read “Left Hand” and thought, hmm, this story I’ve been recasting unsuccessfully for years — what if I try it as SF?

So I did, and became (in 1974) one of a wave of women writers who crashed the SF boys’ club and found a sea of eager readers — all the women who’d fallen for SF as kids and grown up on “Star Trek” worshiping Uhura as “my god, a space woman and on the bridge!”  Ursula’s work gave us the nerve to do that.  We have never forgotten, and we will never let the rest of the world forget either (given that women tend somehow fall through the cracks in the “canon” after a decade or three, because how else to make room for more “deserving” men?).  And she had the natural nerve and intuition to do a writer’s life really, really well.  Maybe even perfectly . . . a beautiful job.  Julie Philips, who wrote a fine biography of “James Tiptree Jr.”, alias Ali Sheldon, signed on some time ago to do a bio of Ursula.  The job couldn’t be in better hands.  Julie knew Ursula well enough not to scant on the writer’s humor and disinclination to suffer fools.  At all.  It’ll be fun, as well as “awesome”.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

that video is fascinating, as well as being a total blast from the past. I’m hoping we see more art-related documentaries from Dr Funkenstein in the future.

Cheers for that.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Steven Moffat on room 101

@winston  That sounds like a very cool library you’ve got. Hope you’re enjoying the E-Space trilogy. One of my faves.

@jimthefish  You’re weclome… Ken MacGregor also directed some other other interesting documentaries including ‘Jock ‘n’ Roll’…

wec

Here’s a new oldie…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Just came across this. A sequence of all the regenerations. So, a

SPOILER ALERT

for anyone who is unfamiliar with BG Who.

BTW, is it just me, or are others being denied access to this site because of an alert about unsuccessful attempts to login? @craig, I thought I should let you know.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  and @craig  I have had trouble myself lately logging on for the same reason.

Thanks for the link to the video.

Hiker @hiker

@blenkinsopthebrave

@craig

@winston

The login issue: me too.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@blenkinsopthebrave @winston @hiker and to everyone else.

Unfortunately the login issue is something I have no control over – I get locked out by it too.

It’s a security issue, as WordPress sites have been under attack since December when there was a massive databreach of 1.4 billion usernames and passwords.

Largest Brute-force Attack in WordPress History Sneaks Monero miner on Websites

So I’m afraid you will sometimes be locked out. The good thing is it protects the site when it’s under attack, and it doesn’t usually last too long. And hopefully it will decrease as a problem as time goes by.

Hiker @hiker

@craig

That’s ok, thanks for the info.

Originally, I just wanted to be sure it wasn’t just me.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hello everyone, I’ve been unemployed now for just over a week and loving every moment of it so far.

Having taken some time to celebrate, relax my mind and consider what I’m going to do next, one of my priorities is to get this site going again. So starting tomorrow we will, as @bluesqueakpip suggested up thread, start a female Time Lord retrospective.

And, although it could be argued that Susan doesn’t really count or we’ve seen a lot of her already, as I went a bit AWOL when we were supposed to be doing The Aztecs, as a treat to @blenkinsopthebrave I think we’ll start with that.

@janetteb I’m not sure I can do an episode a day this month (lots to do), but we could certainly do that for one of the stories further down the line.

See you all tomorrow.

janetteB @janetteb

@craig, my partner is in the process of retiring, (opting for poor and happy rather than well off and hating every second of the day), and considering all the possibilities now that he has time to do things again. We have so many grand plans will need at least two more lifetimes to achieve them all.
    I was thinking of doing the episode a day with one of the later series, probably a Tom Baker but that is only because it was the Pertwee and Baker years that I grew up with but whatever is easiest for you is just fine as you are the one doing the work.
    Cheers
    Janette

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig

Thanks for that. I did think of dropping a hint about setting up ‘Female Time Lords Retrospective’, but then decided that I didn’t know whether you were hugely relieved/celebrating or drowning your sorrows. Glad to hear it’s ‘hugely relieved’.

🙂

MissRori @missrori

Hello all,

I’ve had a run of bad luck lately that isn’t letting up, and a bad case of cabin fever in this rough Midwestern winter.  I had been hoping to get out to the Regeneration Who con in Baltimore (late next month) to meet Peter Capaldi — my parents wanted to make the trip my 40th birthday present — but circumstances are not looking good.  He is not booked for any of this year’s Chicagoland conventions as yet.  I’m really struggling with the disappointment — what should I do?

RorySmith @rorysmith

A light to the whoniverse today.

I realized a coworker had a Tardis plate frame on her car. I had no idea she was a fan. She is a unique young lady about 28 and petite with lots of ink and blue hair. She just recently had a baby and stopped watching the show at Deep Breath. I encouraged her to keep going without saying anything spoilery. She will see the previous master, the death of Clara, and the reveal of Jodie. I envy that.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@missrori

Sorry, it’s been tough for you of late. And while it’s probably not what you want to hear, it’s probably a bit of a waiting game. As you know, it’s a transitional time for the show and Capaldi (and others from the Moffat era) will be in the process of starting new projects, maybe even putting a bit of distance between themselves and Who, if only for the time being. On the plus side, once we get closer to an air date, the new cast and crew will undoubtedly be hitting the festival circuit and I’m sure there’s going to be lots of cool stuff happening later in the year.

All good things and all that… hang in there….

syzygy @thane16

@missrori @jimthefish

Hello there Miss Rori, Maybe this song from Australia will cheer you up?

syzygy @thane16

@missrori Big mistake there. I know Mark Knopfler’s from Glasgow and the British world of music so what I meant to say was “wishes from Australia” Anyway, hope you know what I mean  🙂

From Thane.

@thane16

Born in Glasgow, but from Blyth, Northumberland.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Mr Fish Man! Thank you. I obviously mucked that up. Mum would’ve been embarrassed -she still will be.

And I’m trying to make sense of John Locke. Mum says “economist” and “determinist” and my teacher and philosophy tutor says “Locke is a memory believer”

😈

Must post a song on thread -a Pink Floyd which fits the Doctor -one of their early albums but.

janetteB @janetteb

@thane16 I didn’t even know Dire Straights were Brits and I saw them in concert in Israel of all places but then my knowledge of music is somewhat limited. Knoffler’s evocative music now for me signifies Local Hero.
    cheers
    Janette

MissRori @missrori

@jimthefish @thane16  A belated thank you for the good vibes.  Heaven knows my country needs them right now… 😉

Karen Gillan, director. Really nice interview.

AlpackaHacka @alpackahacka

i I’m writing a Doctor Who fan tv show and I was wondering if I could get some help figuring this out.

At the end of a season, The Doctor becomes a fugitive on Earth (modern day).

In an earlier episode, The Doctor travels to Mars and helps humans fight off some aliens that can move through any wall.

Should the doctor be treated like an enemy in the earlier episode?

Thanks if you reply, I’m new.

AlpackaHacka

syzygy @thane16

@missy Hey. No worries All good. I agree.

Alpackahacka  love your moniker and picture.

I think you’re right. He would be an enemy? Makes sense.

@whisht Happy late birthday to you! Mum thinks it was 2-3 weeks ago! Belated returns

To anyone intelligent: which is all of you.

I’m doing this thing in philosophy called Jack’s Problem. Jack sits in a chair and wants a new personality with images of success and not failure. 1000 things are changed in his head. Now, when he gets up with these 1000 changes, and with a new attitude to life, is he a New Jack or the Same Person Jack? In other words, is his identity based only on his memories and therefore with new memories of success as well as the flavour of things changing – is he the same or a virtually different person?

Trying it with Dr Who and his memories ARE there but hidden (except for Clara. His memories were completely lost but returned at Christmas). Jack’s are CHANGED .

From Thane

syzygy @thane16

@alpackahacka sorry, there, missed your name! Also welcome to the site. Good place, this.

🙂 Thane.

Missy @missy

@alpackahacka;

Adding my welcome to thanes.

Missy

Missy @missy

We have begun watching all my box sets again.  I’d forgotten how funny Christopher Eccleston was.

Missy

@thane16

Hi, Thane!

For your problem, you’d have to distinguish between the different types of memory. We remember facts, events and what kind of person we are as different types of memory. My knowledge of this area of psychology is hugely out of date – there’s been a lot of recent research – but apparently our memory of our character is stored as a ‘fact’. That is, we remember ‘I am stubborn’ in the same way as ‘Grapes are okay to eat’.

So if Jack’s episodic memories have been changed, so that he now remembers success instead of failure, that would not change his ‘fact’ that he’s stubborn. The thousand things you’d have to change would have to include his ‘facts’ about the sort of person he is.

His sense of identity, that is, his sense of being the same person as the one in his memories, is also quite distinct from his sense of what sort of person he is. People can lose their memory almost completely, be so badly damaged that they can’t hold a coherent thought together for longer than a few seconds – and they’ll still have a sense of self.

So knowledge of oneself as a continuing identity doesn’t seem to depend on memory of oneself in the past. The self-knowledge seems to be carefully stored in a completely different place. In fact, its survivability in the face of multiple, severe damage suggests that our self-knowledge is some of the most ‘protected’ parts of our memory.

Philosophy, however, won’t depend on mere facts. 🙂 The question would be whether Jack has continuity with the person he was before he altered his memories. I’d say yes – he’s got physical continuity, he probably has trait continuity. Locke would disagree with me, though. Locke would go for continuity of memory.

syzygy @thane16

@bluesqueakpip Hey The Gang!

Thank you SO much. That is SUCH a help. I’m already motivated to think Jack is the same Jack  -and by that I don’t mean my facts are changed to suit the theory -but that other philosophers have already indicated jack is jack.

I don’t think we’re supposed to mention Kant or Freud/Jung yet which I’d like to do. Kant is definitely helpful here.

Also there are some terrific modern philosophers on the TED Talks which talk about consciousness and my teacher suggested consciousness was my ‘thing’ but I think that also it’s memory theory -which is Locke’s issue. Descartes has some issues and Kant basically solves them.  Still one other thing is that if he remembers success he can only remember success because he’s experienced success before? Also, the basic elements of science is ‘known’ to him, I think. So, if he stands up and puts a foot forward he will know he’s walking forward and not backward which is the part of the laws of Science which being those we have created ourselves: our knowledge of science and its laws is known because we know them 🙂 Because, using words and digits and arithmetic we know scientific fact – – – > paradox.

Head explodes.

Again, thank you so much and hope everything is going really well with you Miss Squeak. Been hiding and watching the Aztecs which was  FANTASTIC.  As Mr @blenkinsopthebrave said the history and the decisions Team Tardis had to make were hard. But spoilers!!

Thank you, Thane.

AlpackaHacka @alpackahacka

Thanks thane and missy for welcoming me to the site, it’s pretty cool of you guys. And also thanks for helping me figure out the problem.

It makes sense he should be an enemy, because if he’s on Mars it should be slightly ahead in the future.

Thanks again,

AlpackaHacka

*sneaks in*

*posts link*

*runs away*

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@pedant

Brilliant!

janetteB @janetteb

@pedant that is indeed brilliant. A few years ago I customised a Playmobil Port a loo into a Tardis. Someone suggested I call it the Turdis. That might apply there too.
    Cheers
    Janette

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@janetteb Every time I mention Doctor Who in front of my dad he calls the Tardis the Turdis just to make me angry. It’s funny to hear others make the same joke.

Missy @missy

@pedant: Not on twitter, so cannot read this – any offers to explain – please?

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Jodie Whittaker is getting a lot of good reviews for her role in Journeyman. She looks great and Paddy Considine looks like he’s done a fantastic job as actor, writer and director. I’ll be checking it out.

@missy
    It’s a perfectly genuine clip of a youtube video of some flooding. One of the items carried off in the flood was a portable toilet. A blue portable toilet. A TARDIS sized, blue, portable toilet.

First, add some Doctor Who Theme music.

Then, imagine a normal city street, with a river of floodwater running through it. The floodwater is of that colour which strongly suggests it’s taken a trip through the local sewerage system before it decided to hit the streets.

In the midst of that river of … er, brown, a blue box appears, floating resolutely and determinedly upright through the flood. It travels past the camera, finally leaving the shot to pursue new and exciting adventures – in worlds that are hopefully less full of … brown.

😀

Missy @missy

@bluesqueakpip

Love it!  I’d pay good money to see that.

Missy

@missy

Alas, for some reason the uploader has locked his account, so it can’t be seen.

Ah!

Her ya go:

Missy @missy

@pedant

My first laugh of the day, oh dear, oh dear!

The Doctor (PC) did say that she was “a bad girl, always looking for trouble.”

It seems she found it! *still laughing.*

Thank you for this.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@pedant — Oh, that made my day!  What a sight!  All is well, for the moment anyway, in Ichi-land tonight.

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

Delighted to hear it. Thumbs up!

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Bessie mates!

janetteB @janetteb

thanks @wolfweed for the image. Good to see Bessie again. She had wandered hasn’t she!

cheers
    Janette

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Sorry I’ve not been around – real life got in the way a bit again.

Thought you might like this though – Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat talking about their new book adaptations of “Rose” and “The Day of the Doctor”.

winston @winston

@craig    Isn’t it annoying when real life happens?  Really though it is good to see you back and thank you for the link. I will have to get me some of those books.

winston @winston

@everyone  Has anyone ever watched the series “The Last Detective” with Peter Davison as Constable Dangerous Davies? I lucked out and found the set of 4 seasons at a second hand shop for just ” 8 of our Canadian dollars” (to misquote @craig) . It is a pretty entertaining tale of a very nice man doing a very tough job. Nice to see the 5th Doctor has gone on to a career as a Police Officer.

Also this week I finally watched Jumanji and Karen Gillan was great! It was a little strange to hear her American accent, but only for a bit and she got up close and personal with Dwayne Johnson. Some people get all the luck.  But we all knew what a talented actor she is and it is good to see her having such a massive career.

This has been a Who alumni update brought to you by a bored Whovian.

wolfweed @wolfweed

BAFTAs tonight!

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 1,125 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (9)’ is closed to new replies.