General Music thread

Home Forums Non-Doctor Music General Music thread

This topic contains 918 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 919 total)
  • Author
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Thanks for the Bonzo’s. I had the pleasure of seeing them at Newcastle City Hall when they reformed a while ago with Phil Jupitus and Ade Edmonson standing in for Viv. An incredibly fun night out. They introduced Urban Spaceman as “our medley of hit”.

@whisht

Love a bit of Squeeze. On Doctor Who, The Crimson Horror with it’s flashback scene reminded me of something, and looking at it this really is a great complimentary song for the Moff Dark Fairytale in terms of lyrics, tone and the surreal look of the video which riffs on Georges Méliès’s early silent film “A Trip to the Moon”.

Whisht @whisht

ok, here’s something for @phaseshift who’s just commented on Crimson about the “Doctor-as-god” narrative.

(apologies for all this music but I’m just avoiding spoilers!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht and @phaseshift – thanks for the links, thoroughly enjoying being in here and finding great tunes with (amusingly) tenuous links to DW.  Here’s another one (no apologies for yet another fabulous female voice, but I promise I do listen to a lot of other stuff as well haha).

This one’s for Clara – Who’s That Girl (featuring lots of diguise, violent use of a chair and a stalker photographer)

ScaryB @scaryb

And this gives me chills. Recorded in the year of classic Who’s cancellation. Ladies and Gents, I give you Mystery Girl 🙂

trudawg @trudawg

How does this thread work?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@trudawg Hello 🙂

Well the thread is @whisht ‘s baby so he’ll probably give you his take 🙂

I think of it as virtual decks/ music lounge where you can hang out with other people who are in the mood and share some good tunes. Sometimes people play a game of call and response, a kind of friendly “battle of the bands” where you see an interesting tune and raise someone another with some kind of connection to the first.  I’m frankly a bit rubbish at that so I just post things I like!

Sometimes there is a connection to Doctor Who or Sci-fi and frankly sometimes not.

I just tend to have some fun co-djing/ conversing via music with whoever is in here sometimes 🙂

@whisht can add to this I’m sure.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb thanks for “Mystery Girl” – that gave me chills too 🙂

I can’t play now alas as I have crappy work to do but really do love this thread…

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish Me too, but I plan to use it a lot more after 7.2 is finished. I look forward to exchanging songs with you :-)

<waves @trudawg > As with the rest of this site it’s a constantly evolving entity, so yes, please do jump in

<…upgrade uploaded…>

:cool:

Whisht @whisht

Hi @trudawg – erm, well, this isn’t really my thread, but it is a lovely example of how things evolve here.
    On another thread about TV memories, I casually asked if we could also exchange music(al) memories.

@phaseshift (kneels before the Master) then created this thread – I didn’t ask for it, but I really do love it!

Now, I’ll take umbrage(!) 😉 with @juniperfish in that one element of the thread (the ‘ping pong’) is not one-upmanship, but based on the wonderful Radio Ping Pong by Charlie Gillett. Basically he invited in a guest to his radio show and brought in records of his own, and then in a unique way discovered more about his guest by having the guest play a song and him respond with something it made him think of from his own collection. Listeners learnt more about both people and some wonderful music than a strict interview format. I wish I’d heard more of them than the couple I chanced across.

But basically, just post a song that means something to you and say why, OR link to a song that comes to mind because of another song on the thread, OR link to a song that has a vague relation to sci-fi or Who…. or…. erm… oh yes, link to the song that was number one when you were born.

OR suggest another riff we can play with (as you’ll probably tell from the wonderful @juniperfish, we’re all quite playful here!).

Your serve!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So I’m going to post what was Number 1 in the UK when I was born. And given all the nonsense that has been going on tonight it seems appropriate. For the next week, I will try to be your…

😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift seeing as I’m up late, just in case, thought I’d post another. Love the Pumpkins and their tribute to Méliès. In a @whisht style return, another US band with a video influenced by early German expressionism such as Fritz Lang’s Dr. Mabuse the Gambler, but mostly The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (influential Doctors!) directed by Robert Wiene. Love this, more for the video than the song although I still think it’s one of their best even if the fanboys don’t agree.

Whisht @whisht

wow! as if to answer @trudawg in action rather than in drawn out (and rather naff) words from me – great video from Phaseshift and then a great reply by Craig!

and not one-upmanship (grrr Juniperfish shakes fist with a smile!) but a sharing of great music.

oh, and btw the one thing (the only thing?) we don’t do on this thread is discuss the current programme.

there are enough threads for that (and it sounds like spoilers are hitting the fans in every sense) so here’s a respite from the (shit)storm.

now, I may well listen to Simon & Garfunkel again because its, well… beautiful!

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

New Fall album.
    New Fall album
    New Fall album
    New Fall album
    New Fall album
    New Fall album
    New Fall album
    New Fall album

chickenelly @chickenelly

Oooh I’ve not used the music thread before, here goes.

I was out on Sunday evening seeing the David Bowie exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum. All the day tickets were sold out weeks ago, but they’d opened up limited places on Sundays until 9pm (which I presume are all gone too).

Anyway, it was very well done and must have had a lot of input from the man himself. A lot of the videos I’d seen before but this one made me chuckle. Bowie dressed like a cross between Bertie Bassett and a Weeble…

Whisht @whisht

Hey @chickenelly, nice Bowie link.
    And yes, raised a smile and made me think of this… no idea why

;¬)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht I love that True Faith video. I remember seeing the choreographed slapping for the first time and just thinking it was genius. I could have watched a full video of that. In fact, I refer you back to the “Losing My Edge” video I posted:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/general-music-thread/#post-5879

Will be back with more…

Whisht @whisht

he he – couldn’t agree more @craig!

Oddly(?) enough I looked back at some of the music posted so far, to think of some returns, and the below just made some kind of sense, if only because i’m now laughing at it far more than I did as a slightly not comprehending pre-adolescent, but also so I can have a laugh with @juniperfish who I think was amused that we struggle to relate the choons to Who related stuff.

well…. all I can say is, if you look at the programme titles (2 vortexes), and ever since we had red/blue theories on this very forum, this song has resonated (strange @phaseshift didn’t pick it… 🙂 ).

Whisht @whisht

btw @craig – that LCD Soundsystem track is an awesome track!

thanks for the link/ reminder/ kick in the shin to watch it as I knew of them, but hadn’t really ever listened to them (more fool me)!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Another LCD Soundsystem track then. I love this for its cheap parody of Daft Punk tracks and videos (such as Around The World), but still managing to be its own thing.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

And as I’m starting to get on a dance vibe, one last one before I go to bed. My favourite techno track of all time. There is no tune, the bass line is two notes, one an octave above the other, but it’s all about the production, especially on the drum track. There’s no video I’m afraid, but it’s hypnotic. @juniperfish may like it.

When I used to DJ it was also a great tune to go to the toilet to as it lasts 10 minutes. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ_c-IDUuSE

wolfweed @wolfweed

Dark, dark despair. Thanks, Kate.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Not directed at anyone this, but @craig posting a tune by Mitch Benn in praise of the BBC had me laughing in the NiS thread. For anyone unfamiliar with Mitch, here are a couple of Who related tracks.

Be My Doctor Who girl:

And one I think most of us will relate to when the finale is shown,

Enjoy 😀

Whisht @whisht

right then…. finally some more returns!

@phaseshift – you sir a a great man for the Spaghetti Western Orchestra! Brilliant stuff! and yes, I watched all 5 parts.

lots and lots of things that it made me think of, as I smiled my way through it (and for everyone else, its fun but done by very good musicians).

But for the bottle playing skit (Chi Mai) I can only thnk of this great piece of bottle playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0GeduK17Ts

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@craig Yes I did enjoy that dance track!

I couldn’t listen to that kind of music for a long time after I gave up my hedonistic clubbing days. I’d overdone it a bit. Hearing some tracks again now is bringing back some good memories tho’.

@whisht Didn’t mean to impugne the integrity of your thread 🙂 I didn’t know about the radio programme you mentioned.

Anyhoo, the Doctor described his time-line across the universe as “the tracks of my tears” so it has to be this song from Smokey Robinson.

Incidentally this is another “song pass key” in the run of them in these episodes, and it beautifully complements the scene with River because it’s a love song all about how the girl the singer is with now is just a substitute for his real lost love – awwwwwwww (although ouch for Clara):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coh7n6dYj5Y

wolfweed @wolfweed

@juniperfish – They’re singing in the TARDIS!

Whisht @whisht

This is for the wonderful @Shazzbot.

I’ve no idea if its fair, but she did say (on another thread):

“like, totally; egads, I’m reverting to Valley Girl-speak!”

I’m weak, what else could I do?

gag me with a spoon!

Whisht @whisht

OI! CRAIG! Keep yer spoileryness to yerself!!

You’re Modded!!

ah well, let bygones be zy…….

;¬)

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht Ahahahaaha!

We need a “like” button in here 😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whisht Fantastic

I do have to hang my head in shame. In fact I may be…

Bit obvious I know, but I couldn’t help it!

Whisht @whisht

he he he ha ha!!

Brilliant!!

ok, my penance was to have to wade through a few poor quality vids.

Your penance is to wait through some appalling ‘acting’ to get to a classic track.

@craig – for you are, The Prince

(its even got a blue bow tie!)

Timeloop @timeloop

So much old stuff on here =/  Time to mix it up!

Well then, lets start off with an old song which describes the doctor perfectly (on a bad day)

Move on to something more cheery (but still old song – from old movie)

One in the same style of video number 2 (I like those)

And one as a badass Doctor

Whisht @whisht

aww @timeloop you genius. Totally agree!!

I had thought to put ‘Hurt’ here, but hadn’t thought to look for Who compilations! (original Cash video being so moving what with his wife June Carter passing away soon after).

And my god, doesn’t Matt look young!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Timeloop @timeloop

Just because I LOVE River @lula maybe you enjoy them as well…

(I dont particularly like the music, but the theme)

(Shake it!)

Lula @lula

@timeloop —  THANK YOU!  I don’t read fan fiction (of any kind/any fandom) but I’m a big fan of these compilation videos.  Give me Rivetor (my portmanteau) vids any day!  (And Damon/Elena from Vampire Diaries,  Buffy & Spike, Fitz and Olivia from Scandal, and on and on, to name a few.  I’m not even ashamed.)

Really love the song “Clarity,” so I particularly liked that one .  But I have to admit, I never imagined watching a Doctor/River video set to Metro Station’s “Shake It.”  Hilarious.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Ah, Friday night post pub, it must be music night 😀

Had this in my head all day. I reckon you could do a pretty good fan video of Clara and the Doctor to this. Someone probably will (although maybe too many American references).

What do we do now. Jump?
    Don’t be silly. We fall!

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks for Free Falling @craig – a long time fave and not heard for a while.  OK, I’ll take your Tom Petty and raise you a Byrd. (This is very timey wimey – “I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now”. Not to mention “crimson” and a “self ordained professor” 🙂 )

Whisht @whisht

ah @craig – thanks for Free Falling.
    Kinda reminded me that there was always something restrained about the production of music at that time. I can imagine he ripped it live, but the production dampens it all down. However the hook and songwriting is still great.

and @scaryb – The Byrds as a reply.

Well, its a definite echo (see what I did there? Clara? echo? oh…. oh well…..) of Dylan – his writing and sound in both tracks.

So, how best to respond to both? Well…

it could’ve been Tangled up in Blue…. or Isis… but “falling” and Clara made me think of Listen the Snow is Falling

Whisht @whisht

btw found a great Saturday night track I’ll post tomorrow.

it may even be a theme song….. though maybe that’s a stretch – but it made me laugh at the time!

;¬)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Way to go on the music thread folks 🙂

Thanks to @scaryb for the Byrds and @craig for “Free Falling” (lmao at all the ’80s outfits), @whisht for The Who (lovely tune that one) and @timeloop for all the fan-vids. I love fan video as a fan art-form, me.

Here’s one  think you might like @craig , another one on the theme of snow, from my favourite Coil album.

Whisht @whisht

So – a bit late(!) for Saturday night, but…

Heres’ a track I surprised myself by liking when I heard it a few months ago, but had a chuckle at hearing the lyrics in a different light!

“We are the people who’s come here to play
    I don’t like it easy
    I don’t like the straight way
    We’re in the middle of something
    We’re here to stay
    And we raise our heads for the colour red”

kind’ve a theme song for (some of) us?

Whisht @whisht

I guess, after hearing news of Matt Smith’s departure, I had no choice as to music…

and the video is all about regeneration (well, you could think of it like that)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Billy Bragg as the next Doctor?

The screwdriver business just gets me confused

Could be a whole host of older Doctors here:

Anonymous @

@craig — lovely little vid that.

And, interestingly, Sam West seems to be wanting to be putting his hat into the ring for real.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-06/samuel-west-ive-always-wanted-to-play-doctor-who

And actually I think he’d be pretty good.

ScaryB @scaryb

Ah, Tom Waits as the new Dr and I’d be in heaven (well I can dream 🙂 ). Got the old/young thing down pat (since he started out), first album called Closing Time included songs called  Martha, Rosie, Midnight Lullaby, Lonely, A little trip to Heaven (in a  Tardis obv),and Grapefruit Moon.  Rose, moons and time are recurrent themes. It’s hidden in plain sight I tells ya! This is Time (…the things you can’t remember tell the things you can’t forget…)

ScaryB @scaryb

TW – even has his own regeneration energy effect 😉

File:Tom Waits Praha 2008.jpg

Whisht @whisht

Waits as Who! – I think I heard a very loud “squeeeee” from a Mr Gatiss!!
    The whole Bradbury/ Hammer/ Gothic/ carny/ thang…

and I actually thought of Waits when we saw Clarence DeMarco in the prison (echoes of Renfield in Coppola’s Dracula).

@scaryb – you’ve nailed it with Time so I’ll pass on a Waits song!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb That’s a lovely Waits’ song (and album). He would be magnificent as Who but I don’t know if he could do a PG version 🙂

That tune got me thinking of this one by another gravelly voiced crooner of love and regret:

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish

Aaaww, that’s a beautiful video of beautiful Cohen song.

<melted 🙂 >

Sending this to you in exchange, similar mood and photo montage. It’s possibly my favourite Cave song…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUiEAVjmnTU

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb Awwwww beautiful – it’s clearly a soppy Sunday 🙂

Have someone else with a mellifluous voice for good measure…

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 919 total)

The topic ‘General Music thread’ is closed to new replies.