On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@phaseshift

I still haven’t listened to Light at the End yet.  I’d thought with having some work-free days I’d have time to do that and could create a blog about it.  It’s my introduction to Big Finish and I’m still looking forward to hearing it.

Sadly, the not-quite-yet-inlaws are arriving en masse from Quebec soon, and hoovering / dusting / who-is-ever-going-to-look-at-the-skirting-boards? is more important right now.  Which is of course why I’m wittering online right now.  😀

Also, I realised that I want to simply enjoy the story.  Crafting a blog feels slightly like doing homework (or taking pictures on holiday to the expense of actually enjoying the holiday).

But I was glad to see there is a new facility for interested bloggers available on this forum.  There are some great blogs about non DW subjects and that’s what makes this site so good – plus the TV, movie, theatre, books and other non DW forum threads going.  Kudos to everyone here, this is an amazing site.

Back to eradicating dust atop the curtain rods.  {sigh}  My manhood is well and truly emasculated.

Anonymous @

@MartyB

Mumsnet have some good tips on housework 😀

Did I mention, Mumsnet is cool 🙂

nonameface @nonameface

Hello,

I’m new here. I’m looking for an episode. This picture was taken from it:

Does anyone know from which episode it was taken?

Thanks,

nonameface

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

@nonameface
    I think it might be Angels Take Manhattan.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@MartyB

No pressure on the blog front. As you say, it was just to point out there is another option if anybody wants to have a go.

Most people have something they want to enthuse about and it can be good to air your thoughts. Ironically, with blogs, the more people do it, the less work it seems to become, and it can add significantly to the site I’ve always felt.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@nonameface

As @thekrynoidman said, it’s Angels Take Manhatten. I do hope we’re not giving you an unfair advantage in any competition. 😉

Arbutus @arbutus

@MartyB  @phaseshift

I too have been thinking about the guest blog idea, but with Christmas so imminent, I agree that it is hard to give it the attention that it deserves. Yes, you would want to listen to it just for fun the first time, and get analytical later on. I do feel that a blog post is a little weightier than contributing to a conversation. I would want to have a re-listen to make sure that the things I was saying actually made sense. I have been thinking about the differences between DotD and LatE, inasmuch as they were trying to do some very different things. It would be fun to look at what those things were, and how well we thought they accomplished them.

Wow, you dust the curtain rods! I am really impressed. Once a year, if I think of it, I go over the tops of the door frames. The problem is that I am short, so I don’t see it, and I am definitely a subscriber to the “out of sight, out of mind” philosophy of housecleaning. Although I agree that parents coming into the house ups the ante considerably. (I can’t believe that’s still true at my age, but it is!)

Anonymous @

@arbutus

Re your Mannheim Steamroller on the Music thread, nice ping-pong of Christmas musical ideas.  Thanks for that.

Did you say you’re Canadian?  Do you have any tips for me, to deal with the not-quite-inlaws?  Granted they’re French Canadian from Quebec so they might be as foreign to you as they are to me.  🙂

PS I don’t dust curtain rods, as a rule.  She Who Cannot Be Named, and whose rellies are imminently arriving, appear to hold a standard of household cleanliness that is from fiction.  I shall soon learn how short her parents are and hope they, as you, can’t see that far above them.  But skirting boards … {sigh} … honestly, really, does anyone look at the tops of the skirting boards?  I desperately hope so, now, because every one in our flat now looks as fresh and new as a newborn baby’s bottom.

Arbutus @arbutus

@MartyB    does anyone look at the tops of the skirting boards?  I desperately hope so, now, because every one in our flat now looks as fresh and new as a newborn baby’s bottom. 

Well, I don’t, but I am a creative person and have better things to do.  🙂  Fortunately in my household, we are all pretty much on the same page. But even if the skirting boards go unnoticed, you will have a warm spot in the moral centre of your heart, knowing that the place is really, properly clean.

Re the Quebecois, most of the ones I’ve met have been quite lovely. We spent two weeks this past summer on a driving trip out along the Saint-Laurence, and had a completely marvelous time. It’s true that it is hugely different from the west coast where I live, although we out here are commonly accused of not being properly Canadian. We respond by looking down our noses at “The Centre of the Universe”, aka Toronto, and make unlikely boasts about sailing and snowboarding on the same day. Thus we all get along!  🙂

I guess that the inlaws will be less easily impressed by all-thing-British than someone from English Canada, which is too bad, because that would be a great advantage for you with someone like, say, my mother. Hopefully, She Who Cannot Be Named’s obvious affection for you will make the difference. Good luck with it!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@janetteb

The wonderful @craig just brought my attention to the I Player Global app, which I just downloaded and saw that they are featuring the John Hurt version of “Whistle and I’ll Come to You” which you said you would look out for.

And remember…it is really creepy!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@scaryb Sorry for getting glitter in your fur and for getting you into trouble with our new overlord @fatmaninabox – heh – but not that sorry – glitter is immutable 🙂 

@craignixon I miss Oswin Dalek myself – definitely my favourite Claricle. A gift to fan fiction at any rate.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Me, You & Dr Who (Culture Show Special) is repeated on BBC 2 tonight at 00.50, followed by An Adventure in Space & Time at 1.50…

Anonymous @

@arbutus and @MartyB  oh I clean the dado railings and skirting boards with a mixture of hot water, Spray & Wipe and detergent with a sponge followed by a non-fluffy tea towel. I do curtain rods. Light bulbs. I scrub the floor by hand. I am a Cleaner Nutter. Can’t help it. Except for the last 2 weeks where a certain Forum has kept me away from the Summer cleaning…what might that be?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@arbutus

In your own time really on any contributions. I’d never analyse on first listening as well, as that robs something from the experience. I usually need a bit of distance before certain things start sinking in.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Morning all

As you start to wind down for the Christmas season, with all that spare time on your hands (excluding such trivial concerns as family, dinner, presents, having the kids under your feet, travel chaos, etc), when you find yourself at a loss, can I ask you to have a think about what TV you’d nominate for a wider “watch club” for the site?

A lot of shows do get brought up as we discuss other things, and having a blog or forum may enable a wider discussion about the shows themselves, which could be helpful and diverting for the long gap between Christmas Special and Series 8. It doesn’t necessarily have to be sci-fi fantasy, and it doesn’t necessarily have to have clear links to Doctor Who. I’ve got some ideas but I’d prefer it if it wasn’t restricted to my own DVD collection.

A couple of my thoughts (with occasional prompting from other people).

• @tardisblue asked about Colin Baker. As well as featuring one of his stories, we could tie it in with an episode of Blake’s 7 in which he does a turn as “Baben the Butcher”. Talking points include the fact that the Fourth Doctor almost met Blake on screen, and don’t Servalan and Mdm Kovarian share some similarities.
    • A couple of Red Dwarf episodes are very timey wimey. It may be interesting to have a look at one of them. Talking of Mdm Kovarian, Frances Barber proved her fangirl credentials by begging for a small guest role in Dwarf, and forced her partner to take a part. Also, can you remember when the TARDIS was seen on “the Dwarf”?
    • Some seasons of Star Trek Voyager seemed to feature no end of timey wimeyness. So, is the two part Year of Hell a better use of “the big ol’ reset button” or not? It may be co-incidence that all the major episodes that dealt with the holographic Doctor seemed to be lifted from Red Dwarf episodes and the holographic character Arnold Rimmer, but not a coincidence that there is dialogue in The Lodger that references his catchphrase “Please state the nature of the medical emergency”.
    • Nightmare Man was a one off based on a novel by the BBC and plays out like a lost Doctor Who story, in 4 x 20odd minute segments. That’s probably no coincidence with Robert Holmes writing, Douglas Camfield directing and Graeme Harper as production manager. Featuring Maurice Roeves and Celia Imrie, an isolated Scottish Island seems to come under attack from a brutal killer
    • You could wonder how the makers of the Stargate franchise got away with making so much product out of the basic premise of Pyramids of Mars. Window of Opportunity is a classic example of the Groundhog Day episode, which an astonishing number of shows have attempted with varying degrees of success.
    • For no other reason than “life after Doctor Who”, how about an episode of A Very Peculiar Practice, featuring Peter Davison? It’s absolutely barking, and highly recommended.

Loads more, but I’d like to hear your ideas, at whatever point.

Elouise @elouise

Hey there 🙂

Just wanted to share a really interesting experience from yesterday night, where I attended a party. What I saw was a room filled with young men wearing bowties. (Most of them just clip-on’s; shame on them…) One of them, however , looked like the lost twin brother of Matt Smith as he looked when he first appeared in the 11th Hour. It was really hard not to stare at him, especially when he danced right next to me! So many flashbacks 🙂 I don’t think I have seen any two persons as similar as those two, except maybe for identical twins. I don’t have any idea who he is though…

And by the way, I hadn’t been drinking, so were he a hallucination it must have been something more severe 😉

Elouise

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – One more show that sprang to mind (And is available on youtube) is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

It has a strong Dr Who link in the form of Oolon Colluphid, the author whose book is seen in Destiny of the Daleks (& of course Douglas Adams, who script edited that story).
    z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Hitchhikers is a good one. Be very interesting to cover it with one of the stories he did for Who, either as writer or Script Editor (because his influence always showed).

Just because I remember from the TV thread you watched Farscape, I was wondering about an episode from that, but struggled to think of an episode or 2 parter that wasn’t too arc heavy. It’s a bit tricky, so any thoughts yourself?

I had a similar question for @janetteb on any suggestions for Babylon 5, if she’s around.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — Interesting choices. I’d definitely tune in for most of them, although I’m afraid I’ve never really got to like Red Dwarf particularly.

To carry some ideas over from my other blog, I’d recommend an episode of H:LOTS (not really genre, I know, but tres influential and just awesome telly). But as also an episode or two of Buffy and also maybe Angel (perhaps the crossover Faith episodes of S4/S1 respectively?). Firefly might also be worth a look too.

How about The Stone Tapes? Maybe in conjunction with a rewatch of Hide? And if we were looking for something vaguely timey-wimey, how about The Flip Side of Dominic Hyde — something I have hazy but fond memories of.

Peculiar Practice is a good ‘un. Although I’d go for the second season when it truly goes haywire.

Anonymous @

@elouise

Have a quick look at this video on Fan Creativity

Was it the Doctor lookie-likie by any chance? His name is Matt Elliot and appeared on a recent edition of The Graham Norton Show which, coincidentally (?), also featured David Tennant and Matt Smith as guests. I understand Matt E has been doing a number of ‘appearances’ since 🙂

@phaseshift

I was just thinking about Farscape myself.

The Locket from Season 2 is a fairly arc-free story. It features a little bit of time travel but is mainly to do with time running at different speeds.

Also, there’s Back And Back And Back To The Future from Season 1, A Human Reaction also from Season 1, and its ‘sequel’ the absolutely bonkers Won’t Get Fooled Again from Season 2.

Non timey-wimey episodes worth a watch are the Look At The Princess and Liars, Guns and Money trilogies, both from Season 2.

There are plenty from Seasons 3 and 4 but I only have those on VHS and no longer have a video player 🙁 which is annoying as I’d love to watch the looney-tunes (pun intended) Revenging Angel again.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@jimthefish

You might enjoy the episode of Dwarf I’m thinking of as it features Clare Grogan and Mark Williams (well before he was Rory’s dad obviously).

Thanks for the suggestions. Flip Side of Dominic Hyde is a really good call. The Stone Tape seems to be back up as well.

I was struggling to think about what episodes from the Whedonverse I’d pick, and so am pretty open to any suggestion or pitches to cover them. It would be good to have a blog to discuss some of those shows on though, and perhaps how much of an influence they did have on revitalising Doctor Who. With Angel there was a thread about learning to deal with immortality which has always been a thing with Who, but it depends on how people wanted to approach it.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

Yay! Another ‘Scaper. Some good suggestions from the earlier series. I kept being drawn to S4 Relativity/Kansas when talking about Time concepts, but it’s not a good intro to the series.

Half of me does want to go bonkers with the choice. Won’t get fooled again was the episode that made me re-evaluate it (I didn’t have a clue what was going on, but I laughed myself hoarse). Revenging Angel truly is brilliant, as is so much more of it. It’s a really difficult choice. It’s great to have a clear connection to Doctor Who ever since Ben Browder appeared in Town called Mercy.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift @jimthefish @fatmaninabox

Some great choices From Blake’s 7, Nightmare Man, The Stone Tape, The Flipside of Dominic Hyde – all quite Dr Who-y…

I also just thought of Dark Season (for the RTD connection).

Also RTD’s Casanova, but I can’t find that online for us all to watch.

What about SJA, or K9 & Co.?!?

Got to agree with FatManInABox about ‘Revenging Angel’ for Farscape (it’s available on dailymotion). I also like ‘Out of Their Minds’ mainly because of the (Dark Crystalesque) Halosians.z

@phaseshift

In @janetteb‘s absence, a couple of suggestions for Babylon 5 (a real guilty pleasure!) would be the arc episodes “The Coming of Shadows” from season 2, and (among many from the excellent season 3) “Point of No Return”, “Severed Dreams” (both about the conflict with an increasingly fascist government on Earth), and “Shadow Dancing” and “Z’hadum” (which brought the season 3 to a spectacular season end). As I said, a real guilty pleasure.

But for a wonderfully whimsical experience, nothing (as pointed out by @jimthefish and @wolfweed) can compare to The Flipside of Dominic Hyde

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed @blenkinsopthebrave

Bravo on the additional choices. The long drought will fly by, I’m sure. I’ll keep on eye out for Casanova. Some of these things come and go, so it may well change.

Thanks for the Babylon 5 ideas Blenkinsop. I’d actually forgotten Coming of Shadows was released on a number of other videos (as a taster to get people into it) just after it won the Hugo award, so it must have been considered by the marketers as a good entry point, and the general setup of the series isn’t too complicated to explain to that point. Plus it’s a strong Londo and G’Kar story, which is a bonus!

@phaseshift

Now that I think about, perhaps the perfect entry point for the show was the TV movie, Babylon 5: In the Beginning made near the end of the run. I haven’t seen it in years, though, and am not sure how hard it is to get. In fact, I may have had a long-lost VHS copy. If so, I must rectify this omission immediately!

wolfweed @wolfweed

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@blenkinsopthebrave

I expect a full report when you’ve cranked up the VHS!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I don’t know if anyone is in the environs of Basingstoke, but apparently you can see THE Coling Baker (billed as star of Doctor Who and I’m a celebrity…) in panto in Aladdin.

He’s the pantomime villain. Queue orderly to make the obvious jokes!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Of course – it would have helped if I’d noticed @wolfweed had got there first with Caption competition 49. He’s too quick – Off to think of an obvious joke myself.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@wolfweed

What a jolly chappie SFB is 😀

He said ‘spoilers’ pretty quickly when asked if he was returning. Hmmm

Anonymous @

“a fan’s a fan” You betcha, Dorium!   To all the lurkers, fantastic contributors and everyone on this great site: a home  away from home, merry Christmas to you all. To @craig for starting this great, unique site, to @phaseshift for great ‘modding’ to other mods, old and new (@FatManInABox)  . Thank you for all the great bits and pieces above, as well. Have a warm, toasty Christmas round the fire. I’ll be joining hot and sweaty queues shortly at the local fish markets for lobster, crab and all things ‘fishy’. Enjoy the 25th (Dr Who I mean): whilst we wait until 7.30pm on Boxing Day 🙁

Kindest,

purofilion

janetteB @janetteb

I am afraid that I haven’t “been around”, @phaseshift. Like @MartyB, I am desperately housecleaning before the in-laws descend upon us. (the horror, the horror) and finishing off the hand made Yuletide cards. I second @blenkinsopthebrave‘s suggestions “re Babylon Five. I don’t think there is any I would add, except perhaps And Now For a Word s2 because it gives a good overview of the station for newbies and The Fall of Night, s2.

I am surprised that nobody has yet mentioned Fringe especially as Orla Brady, (Peter’s mother) makes an appearance in the Christmas Special.

@wolfweed, thanks for all the links posted. I look forward to watching the latest offerings from STrax, over coffee once the cleaning is done.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

::stumbles in and flops on the sofa… traumatised, but still trailing sparkly space-glitter*::

2 days trapped in a time-bubble, with no internet, waiting for the nice man from Virgin to come and free me! Not to mention flickering lightbulbs and strange scurrying noises in the corner… Well, the last one may have been just my imagination… or mice… or  rampant paranoia – just no-one mention Closing Time! OK?

Love all the suggestions for communal TV viewing. Nightmare Man and The Flipside of Dominic Hyde would both get my vote, mainly cos I missed them 1st time round.  No problem with anything that’s been suggested. Good call from @janetteb on Fringe (another one I missed, but I remember a few people talking v favourably about it, possibly on here).  And anything from B5 – tho  Coming of Shadows is a great choice.

Anyone know if any of Doomwatch still exists.  Would love to see again, and I suspect it would stand up well to contemporary viewing.

Best of luck to everyone tackling festive cleaning. @MartyB Sounds like your house would now pass the most ARSE-laden Tripadvisor reviewer! Sieze the moral highground and bask in the shine from your skirting boards 😉

*@juniperfish

space-glitter is immutable

You are so right – I fully expect to still be “pinging” in unexpected shafts of light and scattering sparkly bits on the sofa come Series 8 in August! ::looks round nervously for the Pledge-wielding overlord before scurrying over to the TotD thread 😛 ::

Anonymous @

Where’s all this glitter come from?

<shakes fist at @scaryb>

Oh well, if you can’t beat them…

<Sprays fake snow everywhere>

Well, I think it’s ‘snow’. It could be the disintegrated remains of a Sycorax ship or ballast from the Starship Titanic 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Yay!

Now we’re looking properly festive* 😀

(Oh, and I love the Santa hat. See – a little bit of a (nearly!)complimentary colour really does bring out your blue notes beautifully 😉  )

(did you check the tree for Sycorax-ness btw?)

*<sighs> I’m NEVER going to get this stuff out of my fur. EVER 😯

Anonymous @

@scaryb

The tree appears to be ok but I’m keeping my eye on that scary looking angel at the top (should they have fangs and claws?) 😉

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Dangit

Just

Don’t

Blink

😯

(I’ll go and get help!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox

Oops, sorry… the angel on the tree… it’s just my old avatar…. I wondered where that had got to 😳

Have some (snowflecked) jammy dodgers….

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@purofilion

Have a good Christmas yourself (and to anybody else who is going to duck out while they await the episode being shown in their territory). Join us for virtual mince pies and cold turkey sandwiches when you have a chance to watch it.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@janetteb @scaryb

Thanks for the input on the ideas front, the more the merrier. Fringe was actually a big omission, and maybe @janetteb and @jimthefish can help me work out some decent eps for that (there are many, but I’d try to avoid really arc heavy ones). There is some Doomwatch online. Only a limited number were released commercially as they didn’t sell well.

I’ll also mention Sapphire and Steel because we had mention of Joanna Lumley on the Time of the Doctor thread, and it was a suggestion by @miapatrick.

wolfweed @wolfweed

The holiday season preparations at the Blenkinsop household proceed. Suitable viewing material for the coming days has been arranged, and the Blenkinsop cellar will be replenished later today. My principal concern is not whether Matt Smith is Doctor 11, 12, or 13, but whether the Tardis-themed Christmas present for Mrs Blenkinsop arrives in the mail in time.

Merry Christmas, all my fellow Enthusiasts (including those absent, but still missed).

thommck @thommck

Just saw this rather nifty freebie from the BBC’s Stargazing live programme and thought some of you might like it.

It’s a printable 2014 Calendar that tells you what to look out for in the skies each month. Could come in handy for those post-Doctor Who stargazing sessions 🙂
    http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/stargazinglive/sgl_calendar2014.pdf

Arbutus @arbutus

Not sure if this will work, but I will give it a try. My talented son created this Christmas card for us to send to family and friends, so I thought I would share it with my newest group of friends. Merry Christmas to all, with love from Arbutus!

Arbutus @arbutus

No, it didn’t work. Oh, well, picture a snow-covered street with old houses and really big trees, branches all edged in snow. The sentiment still applies: “May Christmas bring you Joy!” Best to all.

Anonymous @

@thommck – You beat me to it. I was just about to post that.

Some beautiful images on the calendar, shame they’re not in ‘landscape’ orientation, they’d look good on my desktop 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hi @phaseshift (and everyone else!).

In terms of post xmas / NY tv viewing, all those sound good. Never did get to see any of those shows for a long period (just a few before inevitably trailing off).

Another comedy that could work is Spaced (too many Who-related people to mention). I happened to randomly catch an episode last night and raised a few chuckles (especially seeing a very young looking Gatiss guesting!).

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.