On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    Whisht @whisht

@arbutus – how did you try to link your picture? It may be worth asking a mod, but if its a webpage you can either just paste the URL and we’ll work it out, or add a link to a piece of text (select the text and then click on the underlined ‘link’ option above the Tex box you’re typing in).

Alternately if its an image that’s online somewhere, right-click the image, copy the image URL, and use that URL in the ‘img’ box (rather than the ‘link’ option).

I truly hope that wasn’t an exercise on my part of “… and instructions on sucking eggs coming soon” or just downright confusing.

but you did remind me to do something (its an old one, but you guys don’t mind I hope – the sentiment remains true!)

Whisht @whisht

Merry doo dah!

Anonymous @

@whisht – and a Merry Doo-dah to you too 😀

Arbutus @arbutus

@whisht    Neither confusing nor anything other than helpful!

FatManInABox had already reached out to me, offering to try and help me do something that the Help page clearly states cannot be done!  🙂  My image was not online, but on my laptop.  Not to worry, it was all about the Merry Christmas. Which has been said, many times, many ways. Etc. Thanks, and Merry doo-dah!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Spaced duly noted! I’d forgotten Mark Gatiss was in it. Isn’t he partnered with Kevin Eldon as Matrix-style “agents”? 😀

Whisht @whisht

ah @arbutus – no worries and thanks!

I had the same problem (scans being only on my laptop), so I created a deviantart account and uploaded the artwork so I could post here (using the image URL).

Free, and if spammy to whatever email I used, I’m not noticing!

ah well, merry christmas anyway (and I don’t think you ever really can say it too often!)

🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hi @phaseshift – good memory! and yes, he’s partnered with The Actor Kevin Eldon.

Also in that episode – John Simms!

(as well as a Dredd poster!)

🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Brilliant stuff. I watched the first series again a little while ago, and in the episode Art it struck me I was watching Ida from Impossible Planet (Claire Rushbrook) interview Joan Redfern from Human Nature (Jessica Hynes) for a job. With a guest role from Gibbis from God Complex as a six foot transexual. I decided I really have become a bit Who centric in thought patterns!

I really want to see Mark Heap and The Actor Kevin Eldon turn up in Who someday. Both very weird with a lot to offer

Elouise @elouise

@fatmaninabox

I would say that he looked even more like Matt, but with a bit longer hair and  a bit skinnier 🙂

geoffers @geoffers

@ everyone

well, i’m off to the cinema to watch that ‘other’ paragon of british entertainment (or is it officially australian?), ‘the hobbit, part deux,’ and won’t be able to check in until after the special has aired tomorrow, so…

as this is my first christmas here, i just want to wish everyone a Merry Meh!, and a Happy Hum Bug!  😉

er… merry christmas, everybody, and happy ‘who’ year!

Anonymous @

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and gets the felt headwear/replica sonic device/remote control Zarbi of their choice.

Will see you all back here on Boxing Day after I’ve watched the Christmas special and armed with some used tissues, some bonkers theories and a big box of squee….

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    Merry Chrimbo everyone! See you on the other side…

Anonymous @

As Christmas Day looms every closer, I thought I’d pop in to say…

“Wherever you are and whoever you’re with, have a very merry Christmas”.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I also thought I’d pop in to wish follow members and lurkers the best Christmas or alternative seasonal-celebration-you-wish-to-call-it possible.

The time is 22:25 GMT on 24th December, or thereabouts. You may be reading this in the future, or the past. Frankly, I don’t know because I don’t know which Time Zone you are reading this in and, increasingly, I don’t care. My experiment with a home made alternative to Kriek (a cherry enhanced strong wheat beer) has paid dividends. I have barrels of the stuff, it’s rather nice, and I have been indulging.

Hope @FatManInASleigh will have stuffed/has stuffed your stockings with goodies. Happy whatever!

Anonymous @

Hello to all ! It’s Christmas day here and we’re putting on the air cons!  My son received a large framed picture of Mat Smith’s doctor. He’s stood the picture up near tele and laid some candles in front of it like some kind of altar!

Ready for tomorrow morning. Happy Christmas all!

kindest and good cheer

purofilion

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hi all,

Just quickly popping on to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, or whatever you celebrate this time of year, and to thank everyone for making it a great first year for the forum.

I hope Santa has been good to you and that Moffat will be good to us this evening. Look forward to all your thoughts later on this evening.

Craig

Zaphod @zaphod

@all Hope you’re all having a great  holiday and have a great year ahead. Thank you all for making this forum such an enjoyable glass house to peer in at. My nose has left quite a mark on some of your windows. (pub/window analogy courtesy @whisht I think).

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Miapatrick @miapatrick

Soo- Christmas with the mother in law staying wasn’t going too badly.

Until I put Doctor Who on, and she pipes up, a few minutes in: ‘I didn’t know the Doctor was stupid’.

(My other half, not even a real fan, felt constrained to defend him/me.)

Rob @rob

@miapatrick

I hope the discussion on the Doctors stupidity or otherwise didn’t ruin the programme

My sister called about 15 mins in, I did call her back afterwards and still love her…… just lol

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

for @rob and @miapatrick

(yes, yes, I know, it should be on the music thread – but it seemed incredibly appropriate)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Bluesqueakpip- definitely.

@Rob- It wasn’t ideal viewing conditions, but I’ve worked out how to use iplayer- and I feel a lot better since I’ve baked a passive-aggressive loaf of bread at her…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@miapatrick

Both the scene with Clara coping with her relatives at Christmas dinner, and your story of watching it with the mother-in-law are both perfect examples of why, if given the choice between spending Christmas Day with the family or Christmas Day with the Doctor, one should always choose the Doctor!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@blenkinsopthebrave very true. At least I’ve downloaded the doctor so I’ll have him long after she’s gone back home. (And someone gave me genesis of the daleks for Christmas!)

ScaryB @scaryb

Just dropping in quickly to wish everyone Happy Christmas.  Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas Who as much as I did. Had to watch it timeshifted as I was surrounded by non-Whovians yesterday. Huge sympathies to @miapatrick (It’s why I chose to be patient (not saying it was easy, especially as the clock got to 7.30pm!) and bless iplayer 🙂  Some things have changed for the better in the last 50 years!)

@bluesqueakpip Thanks for the link – love it! (And nice to see the party dress coming out again )

@blenkinsopthebrave

one should always choose the Doctor!

Ahahahahaha. Love it. But sometimes we just don’t have the choice so sometimes we have to postpone the Doctor till Boxing Day. The best things are worth waiting for, to be savoured alone or with like minded people. (And I love my family, they’re great, but they don’t “get” Dr Who)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@ScaryB- you were very wise, and delayed gratification can be all the better. Me, I pretty much got up in the middle of the night to open my Christmas present, so to speak, and was punished.

This is why it is important for us to ‘lean how to use iplayer’  (wonder if that was a comment on how the overnights don’t represent true viewing figures for Doctor Who (yours wouldn’t have counted, for example, unless you waited till this evening)

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick

I did try to open my present early this morning but the internet wasn’t having it! (So not so much wise, as forced! (try having half a dozen of your mother in law to watch it with! ))

Re the iplayer comment – I’m sure it was.

Anonymous @

helloooo all, I was trying also to watch The Doctor with family who felt that it was ‘exclusive’ if not ‘elitist’ in that it might not be understood by people who are the Ordinary Watchers -the 50%ers, I’d call them. Maybe there’s something in that! I was explaining to hubby all the things the Ordinary Watcher should get (The Mainframe; Amy, Amelia; The Crack in the Wall; the aging dr doing something for a sweet planet etc…) and he ..er… went back to sleep! So much for explanation…..But I loved it and I’ll re-watch shortly on ABCiview….

kindest,

purofilion

ToriJ @torij

Merry Christmas, everyone! Well, I suppose it’s more of a Happy Kwanzaa/Boxing Day now depending on where you live. ToriJ’s the name, I’m from Kansas the sunflower state. Found this site via Google searching ‘Doctor Who Discussion Forum’ quite glad I’ve found it haven’t had many places to discuss Doctor Who except the occasional thread in other forum communities I frequent. I’ve been a fan since… a year as of next month, actually, but it feels like I’ve been a fan for a lot longer than that. The first Doctor Who related thing I saw was footage from Blink on YouTube and from there I watched some footage of Matt Smith in action and it was his speech during The Pandorica Opens that eventually got me to sit down to watch a full episode. Tuned in to The Eleventh Hour and never looked back since.

Looking forward to the new year, mainly because I have a new spiffy Doctor Who calendar based off the first half of Series 7 I can’t wait to put up. Has a bunch of neat images in it I love, however I was born on the month of September so I wonder just what will be representing the month of my birth! *opens up calendar to see Weeping Angels* AHHHHHH! *drops calendar*

Anonymous @

welcome to you @torij -hands waving and flapping.

I really liked your analysis of the Christmas Special. I watched it on Boxing Day -it wasn’t shown until then in Australia. I’ve been a fan forever -since the 4th doctor, although I wasn’t really aware that I was a fan then. Like you, though, I also loved the epic speech of Matt’s Doctor in The Pandorica Opens but I loved the speech in the Rings of Akhaten, too: “I’ve seen universes burn and the laws of physics rewritten by the mind of a madman” (or something along those lines!).

I loved his final speech too and the family (They’re not really followers of Who, and, although my 12 year old adores Mat, he doesn’t ‘get’ all the plot and theme shenanigans) was watching me uncomfortably as I was blowing my nose into one tissue after another.

It was a very moving episode as many on this site have agreed. No doubt, though, on lots of forums and twittering, there’ll be confused and disgruntled people who may have wanted a typically straight episode as we had when the Sycorax invaded and the 10th Doctor was introduced.

I adored this particular Christmas Special: yes, it was hyped but it was worth every nano-second of ‘hyping’ 🙂

Kindest,

purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

Well, I must admit that I watched the show at about ten past midnight, after my family had gone to bed and the episode had become available for download on iTunes. You get by how you can. (Raises a glass in salute.)

Welcome, @torij. You will find discussion here all right, some of it will make your head spin!  🙂

Arbutus @arbutus

@purofilion

I watched late in the night and wept alone. But I knew that I had this forum to look forward to in the morning!  🙂

I hope your Christmas was merry, with the sunshine and the shellfish (trying saying that aloud!). I thought of you yesterday, when I opened my son’s Christmas present. It was a cover art poster of the Australian band, The Cat Empire, whom I love. There were music downloads as well, but this was the bit of the present that I unwrapped. It’s quite impressive, and the first pop music poster I have owned in many and many a year!  🙂  Our kids do keep us young!

ToriJ @torij

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Rings of Akhaten’s speech is another favorite. Matt has the best speeches.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Does anyone have any idea when series 8 is going to start filming?

Rob @rob

@thekrynoidman

I don’t know the answer to that but I understand Dr Who returns autumn 2014 :/

In the mean time having a day on Watch with Matt

@thekrynoidman – rehearsals started before the Christmas Break, filming starts in January after everyone gets back.

WhoGirl @whogirl

Hi everyone,

Happy late Christmas!

I’m new to this forum so I thought I’d say hi. Been meaning to join a Who-related forum for ages, and I’ve finally got round to it. Looking forward to chatting to everyone about the best programme ever!!

Emma x

Rob @rob

@whogirl

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoyed the Christmas Special 🙂

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

New blog post is up!

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/how-to-improve-doctor-who

Just wondering if anyone out there has an opinion of what will happen to DW in 2014? What’s round the corner in terms of the structure of the show?

I know the show isn’t ‘broken’, but what changes would you make to move things forward? What would you do if you were showrunner-for-a-day?

Does anything even need to change??

Love to hear all your thoughts!

janetteB @janetteb

Hi. Finally caught up with the Christmas Special. I had to avoid the forum until I had seen it. I have become spoiler adverse. I still feel as though I require a rewatch before I can comment and there is so much now to catch up on here I would need at least a year I suspect and as our “recalcitrant teenager” reminded us today, in three days time we will be out of the country so I won’t have much time to catch up but I do have some Who related reading to take on holiday.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb

Hope you enjoyed it and have a fabulous holiday

😀

@fiveroundsrapid

Good question re what would you change. Will have a ponder. (It can’t help but change with the arrival of Capaldi 😉  )

ScaryB @scaryb

@fatmaninabox @thommck and other  Tweeters

Just come across Dalek Thay on Twitter – he’s quite amusing for a Dalek – tho a bit pissed off at the moment, what with the Dalek ship being blown up and the doctor escaping. Again.

https://twitter.com/DalekThay

WhoGirl @whogirl

Thanks Rob!

Yes I did, very moving performance by Mr Smith and as sad as I am to say goodbye to him, I’m excited to see what Peter Capaldi will do.

Magnetite @magnetite

I know we’ve had the Name, Day and Time of the Doctor this year, but it also must be the Time of the Moff – he’s presided over the frankly amazing 50th Celebrations, writing the world record-holding drama simulcast, 3 regeneration scenes, seen the return of Tom Baker to DW, cast a new Doctor in Peter Capaldi and is just about to release to the world (along with the almost-as-prolific Mark Gatiss) the secret of Sherlock Holmes’ non-death.

I wonder if so many people’s inner geek has been massaged so much in such a short a space of time (and space!) before.

@magnetite – he didn’t get everything his way, though. He had to sit through Doctor Who Live – TheAfterparty – and not physically attack the producers responsible. 😈

WhoGirl @whogirl

Hehe!

@magnetite – I know, it’s like he just keeps going on some sci-fi high! I love it! Very excited to find out how Sherlock survived…

nicelyuseless @nicelyuseless

Hi, I thought the sofa would be the best place to introduce myself. I’m just going to emerge from the corner where I was lurking (in a shy way, not in a silence-y way (silents-y way?)), to say hi. I’ve been in that corner next to the bar from the start, but I finally had a question which I didn’t see an answer for, and therefore I reluctantly emerged. (Reluctant because of an extreme overabundance of meekness on my part, and nothing to do with anyone else; everyone here is very nice and most welcoming.)

For the record, I became a whovian in my teens, watching four on PBS in the states during the 80’s. I didn’t even know he’d already regenerated. I didn’t even know what regeneration was, and therefore might have been slightly (extremely) unfair to Mr. Davison and his celery boutonniere (thanks, spell-check!). I watched all of Mr. Baker’s episodes twice, and can I remember any of them? Nope. But it did embed a lifelong passion for all things Who.

About me, I use too many parentheses (brackets, if you like). Sorry.

All the best,

nicelyuseless

DrSmith @drsmith

Hello everyone. I was rewatching The Rings of Arkhaten and something dawned upon me: Could River Song be Susan’s grandmother? The Doctor and River are married but The Doctor doesn’t know her in the future. But that could also tie in with the Tasha (from the christmas special) being a future/past incarnation of River. What do you guys think.

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

I’ve got a new blog post up if anyone’s interested, where I’ll be sharing the details of any new DW related purchases off eBay and such like…

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/the-postman-commeth-1

Enjoy… And any comments (as always) are welcome!!

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.