On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    BadWulf @badwulf

@craig If I spiff up the spreadsheet, maybe you can put it as a downloadable file somewhere on the forum, so that other users can input their data? And maybe pull together some charts that would show how our community feels about each story?

BadWulf @badwulf

Anyway – here are my ratings for the seasons that I have seen completely (caveat re: Season 34, as it is still in progress, but of interest in the comparison):

Series Rating
    Series 10 3.80
    Series 11 3.60
    Series 12 3.40
    Series 13 4.17 <– Highest rated season (Terror of the Zygons to Seeds of Doom)
    Series 14 3.67
    Series 16 3.00
    Series 19 3.00
    Series 20 3.86
    Series 21 3.14
    Series 22 2.83
    Series 23 2.75 <– Lowest rated season (Trial of a Time Lord)
    Series 27 (AG Series 1) 3.69
    Series 28 (AG Series 2) 3.57
    Series 29 (AG Series 3) 3.36
    Series 30 (AG Series 4) 3.86
    Tennant Specials 3.00
    Series 31 (AG Series 5) 3.69
    Series 32 (AG Series 6) 3.50
    Series 33 (AG Series 7) 3.87
    Smith Specials 4.00
    Series 34 (AG Series 8) 3.44

Average 3.49

BadWulf @badwulf

By Doctor:

# Doctor Rating
    1 Hartnell Incomplete
    2 Troughton Incomplete
    3 Pertwee Incomplete
    4 T. Baker Incomplete
    5 Davison 3.45
    6 C. Baker 2.64
    7 McCoy Incomplete
    8 McGann 4.00
    9 Eccleston 3.69
    10 Tennant 3.53
    11 Smith 3.70
    12 Capaldi Incomplete

BadWulf @badwulf

Christmas Specials:
    The Runaway Bride 4
    A Christmas Carol 4
    The Snowmen 4
    The Christmas Invasion 3
    Voyage of the Damned 3
    The Next Doctor 3
    The End of Time Part One 3
    The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe 3
    The Time of the Doctor 3

Average Score 3.33

BadWulf @badwulf

River Song:

Silence in the Library 5
    Forest of the Dead 5
    The Pandorica Opens 5
    The Big Bang 5
    The Angels Take Manhattan 5
    The Name of the Doctor 5
    The Time of Angels 4
    Flesh and Stone 4
    The Impossible Astronaut 4
    Day of the Moon 4
    Let’s Kill Hitler 4
    A Good Man Goes to War 3
    The Wedding of River Song 3

Average Score 4.31

BadWulf @badwulf

Paternoster Gang:

The Name of the Doctor 5
    The Snowmen 4
    The Crimson Horror 4
    A Good Man Goes to War 3
    Deep Breath 3

Average Score 3.80

BadWulf @badwulf

Daleks:

Day of the Daleks 5
    Genesis of the Daleks 5
    Resurrection of the Daleks 5
    Remembrance of the Daleks 5
    Dalek 5
    The Parting of the Ways 5
    Army of Ghosts 5
    The Stolen Earth 5
    Asylum of the Daleks 5
    The Day of the Doctor 5
    Into the Dalek 4
    Planet of the Daleks 3
    Planet of the Daleks 3
    Destiny of the Daleks 3
    Revelation of the Daleks 3
    Bad Wolf 3
    Doomsday 3
    Daleks in Manhattan 3
    Journey’s End 3
    Evolution of the Daleks 2
    Victory of the Daleks 2

Average Score 3.90

BadWulf @badwulf

Cybermen:

Earthshock 5
    Army of Ghosts 5
    Rise of the Cybermen 4
    The Age of Steel 4
    The Tomb of the Cybermen 3
    Attack of the Cybermen 3
    Doomsday 3
    The Next Doctor 3
    Nightmare in Silver 3
    Revenge of the Cybermen 2
    Closing Time 2

Average Score 3.36

DrBen @drben

Amusing that, due to a statistical anomaly, Paul McGann is statistically your favorite Doctor. 😉

BadWulf @badwulf

@drben Indeed! Maybe I should multiply each rating by the length in minutes of each episode, then divide by the total number of minutes…

Nah – far too complicated!

I was actually surprised that Eccleston came out ahead of Tennant!

BadWulf @badwulf

Just noticed Planet of the Daleks was included twice in the Daleks data:

The new average is 3.95

Rob @rob

@badwulf

Really interesting,  take it you’re a River fan too, or did that surprise you too.

samsung thornby @samsungthornby

Hi how many regenerations as the docter got left

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

@samsung thornby Well if he’s been granted a full new regeneration cyle by his timelord fellows it should be 12 or is that 11. Being 11 regenerations and 12 bodies per cycle but if that is so…… Then in the day of the doctor when the member of the timelord war council says no all 13 of him they must have known that he was going to get a new regen cycle… Oh my now why didn’t I think of that before.

janetteB @janetteb

Wow @badwolf you have been busy. Thank you for sharing your hard work with us. I really enjoyed the lists. I wasn’t quite sure if the ratings for the later ones were episode or character based. Ie you were rating the Doctor/RiverSong/Daleks or the stories in which they featured. I would like at some time to try doing my own ratings and see how they compare.

Cheers

Janette

thommck @thommck

@badwulf Just upload the spreadsheet to the Excel Web App or Google Docs and then put a link here.

@samsungthornby Nobody knows! The Doctor himself admitted as much in the Kill the Moon episode. This allows us to theorise that it was actually the Doctor that became the Face of Boe 😉

@devilishrobby They said all 13 because they didn’t know Tennant counted as 2

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hey all, just back from LA and just about to go to bed, having caught up on Flatline (which I thought was great). @badwulf If you email me the spreadsheet I can post it for you. Will do any other tidying up tomorrow night.

One of the movies I watched on the plane was The Lego Movie, cos I was bored. Turned out it was great. If you haven’t seen it then minor spoliers ahead, but I thought this little exchange was apt for here and the whole ARSE arguments.

Dad has just found out his son has been playing with the impressive world he has paintstakingly created in Lego in his basement.

Dad: Look, I know it’s hard to understand. But this is Dad’s stuff, okay? All of this that you see before you is all your father’s. And everything is thought out, there’s… What did you do down here? Did you take the top off of the tower?
    Son: It was an accident.
    Dad: You accidentally, expertly, carefully took the entire top off of that tower?
    Son: Yes.
    Dad: You know the rules, this isn’t a toy!
    Son: Um… it kind of is.
    Dad: No, actually it’s a highly sophisticated inter-locking brick system.
    Son: But we bought it at the toy store.
    Dad: We did, but the way I’m using it makes it an adult thing.
    Son: The box for this one said “Ages 8 to 14”!
    Dad: That’s a suggestion. They have to put that on there.
    Son: Because maybe we won’t be able to resist playing with all this.
    Dad: Look, I moved your stuff over near to the decorations. All those bricks, you can build anything you want… Son, we’re gonna play a little game. It’s called “let’s put everything back the way you found it.”
    Son: But, Dad, you don’t understand…
    Dad: So I can make things they way they’re supposed to be… [He picks up a tube of Krazy Glue] Permanently!

fangirl.slowly @fangirl-slowly

I’m new on this forum and I’ve been obsessed with DW for about 6 months now and I’m so excited to talk to people who actually know who the Doctor is! 😛

fangirl.slowly @fangirl-slowly

@thommck Captain Jack is actually the Face of Bo. I don’t remember the exact episode, but it was with 11 and Martha, but Jack said as a little kid he used to model and he was called the Face of Bo, then turned around. After Jack turns, 11 and Martha look towards each other with clear shock written on their faces.  Just wanted to let you know!

Spider @spider

@fangirl.slowly  (dunno if this link has worked properly) welcome!  Glad to hear you are obsessed, i think you have come to the right place 😀

Yes there is an episode that hints towards Jack being the face of Boe, but it is a slight tease and we do not know if that is really the case. Ep is Last of the time lords with Doctor 10 (not 11), Jack and Martha where he talks about being called ‘the face of boe’ (because he is from boe peninsula). And Martha and 10 do indeed look at each other as they grasp the potential consequences…but it has never been actually shown if this is really the case. Maybe it’s the truth, or…maybe is huge red herring by RTD!

Sorry to be picky, please don’t take it the wrong way! Welcome again, and looking forward to hear your thoughts on other eps.

(\(\;;/)/)

Anonymous @

@craig

Welcome back from LA LA Land – glad you enjoyed your trip.

I haven’t seen The Lego Movie yet but if its anything like the Lego games then it should be great fun 🙂

Anonymous @

Quick, call The Doctor – the Universe has gone all wibbly wobbly again 😯

It’s ok, you can stop worrying – it’s jut Karen Gillan and Caitlin Blackwood at a recent family reunion.

TheDoctorsOtter @thedoctorsotter

Hello everyone! I am here because I live in the US in a small rural town, I am basically the only Who fan, so I decided to try this place out so I could talk to other people about my crazy theories and whatnot.

I started watching Who less than a year ago. It was around the time of the 50th anniversary and I happened to see Matt Smiths first episode and felt compelled to watch more. I have now bought and watched every season of new Who and also some audio specials and I am currently reading through The Silent Stars Go By,  a Matt Smith’s Doctor book.

And you probably guessed correctly that my username is referencing when the Doctor says he lived with otters for a month in The Caretaker episode.

thommck @thommck

@thedoctorsotter, @fangirl-slowly Welcome along, always nice to hear some new voices on the forum. You’ll find a whole range of people on here, from those who watched the original episodes in the 1960s to the more recent newbies who’ve managed to binge-watch  the 8 new series in a couple of months!

@fangirl-slowly, like @spider said, I’m aware it was implied Captain Jack was the Face of Boe, I thought it was a great twist at the time, but it definitely wasn’t concrete evidence. Just a fun silly idea of mine that it could be the Doctor 😛

@fatmaninabox, you are missing out if you haven’t seen The Lego Movie. One of the best films of the year (no joke). Find a small child and use them as an excuse to watch it!

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Right posting this here and not in the current episode ( flatline) as it is slightly off topic but is topical so to speak, so if one of the mods or emperor Craig feel it belongs elsewhere (and it proberly does) then feel free to move it.

Recently got hooked into watching a series of YouTube clips surrounding Clara on who or what she may be. unfortunately I’m on my iPad and only being moderately tech savvy I am blowed if I can work out how to cut and paste between pages. The third part called Clara Who? Part3 lays out a very convincing argument for Clara to actually be some kind of regeneration of River.
    Any thoughts or arguments with this theory.

RobertDaller @robertdaller

@devilishrobby‘ Well we’ve seen Clara as a child, and while River could potentially be brought back as a child. (Since The Master was before being Professor Yana)

That was when a Time Lord brought him back however, and River has no known connection to actual Time Lord’s,
    Also the TARDIS hated Clara, and it loves Riversong.

And Moffet previously stated the Name of the Doctor was the end for Riversong, while he said he might change his mind, i’m pretty sure he already has Clara’s whole arc planned out. (Could be wrong though)

Further more, The TARDIS recognizes Clara as being completely human, and while it could be wrong due to some techy nonsense, (Like a Chameleon arc or whatever.) that just doesn’t seem to be at all the direction’s taking, given that romance between The Doctor and Clara was all but written off in ‘Deep Breath’

Given the relationship that’s been developing between them this season, I would like to state that the possibility of Clara being the Doctor’s Daughter, (Not Jenny mind you) is not completely written off.
    I still would like the idea of Clara being the Daughter of Riversong and The Doctor. (Though I admit it would be sorta weird considering she fancied him, but not the face that claims to be her Dad… or wait.. if it was River and Clara the 11th WOULD be her Dad.. NEVERMIND TOO CONFUSING.)

One last thing, Clara River (Or the Doctor’s Daughter) Wouldn’t really fit with Missy having ‘chosen’ her she can’t CHOOSE who get’s to be his daughter, and she didn’t choose Riversong Madame Kovarian did…

Unless she chose her for that reason? Idk

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Wasn’t sure where to post this–on Trailers, as it is about next week?–but decided on here, as it is about where the show is going.

OK, since we are about to arrive at the two-part finale and lead into series 9, I think now is the apropriate time for us all to nail our colours to the mast, and state where we think this is all leading.

For my part, I will stick by comments I have made upstream:

* Clara will (somehow) be revealed to be the Doctor’s daughter.
    * Missy will be revealed to be the Master (after undergoing a gender change to that effect)

Of course, I have an unbroken record of being wrong in every prediction I make at series’ end, but what’s the point of gut feelings if you don’t stick by them?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@blenkinsopthebrave- great idea, perfect time to do this.

I’m going with: Missy is CAL is the Papal Mainframe.

Missy also has some kind of control over Clara, some way of meddling with her. The doctor has noticed this in much the way eleven noticed that Amy was a ganger.

Although part of me is hovering over the idea that missy is Clara in one version of the future, and at some point in the next episode comes a point when Clara might or might not turn out like that. And, of course, she doesn’t, she stays on earth and marries Danny instead. Only I really don’t want that, I actually want a somewhat hostile Danny travelling on the Tardis, I still think there is a chance the Doctor Danny dynamic could turn out to be great.

RobertDaller @robertdaller

blenkinsopthebrave
    I doubt Missy will be The Master, as Moffet confirmed no Master this season, though he’s quite prone to lying, and I wouldn’t be suprised if he did.

Although in all honestly, The Master being turned into a woman would ruin his character for me, and frankly I very well might stop watching if he was.

Although i’m honestly a little scared of CLARA being The Master after that trailer.
    As for Clara being his Daughter, I honestly have theorized about that myself, and would have no problem if it happened, but it would be a little weird don’t you think? So not sure they’d do that.

The 11th and Clara were quite flirty with one another, she even said she ‘fancied’ him under a truth field, and he too alluded to this on many occasions.

Also he tempoarily played her ‘boyfriend’ in the time of the Doctor.

DrBen @drben

@blenkinsopthebrave – Great idea!  OK, let’s see….

Missy runs an organization that somehow capitalizes on death (mining some sort of energy during the transformation, or something).  She has somehow latched on to the Doctor (whose constant companion is Death) and realizes that she can greatly exceed her prior numbers by keeping an eye on him, since people die around him almost constantly.  And, as a Time Lord, he has the ability to “die” over and over again – repeat customer!

She needs some way to get to the Doctor, so she “creates” Clara (one way or another) as someone with the capacity for a great many spectacular deaths.  She contrives a way to be the Woman in the Shop, and gives Clara the Doctor’s phone number (why does she have it? no idea).  Having created Clara, she is able to spy on them through Clara’s eyes.  She even manipulates the Great Intelligence into going after her in multiple timelines, revealing to him the location of the Doctor’s grave, so that she (through Clara) can gain access to the Doctor’s timestream.

When Clara jumps into the timestream, she becomes (as designed) a multitude of Claricles, each with their own horrible death that feeds into Missy’s systems, and gains access to all of the Doctor’s previous deaths.

At the beginning of next week’s episode, Clara will die (again) and be transported to the Nethersphere to be mined by Missy.  The Doctor and Danny will go after her, and Clara will be revealed for what she really is, and have a phenomenal freak-out about it.  Hilarity will ensue.  To be continued.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@DrBen- nice! Maybe she got the number from the woman who ran the bank in time hiest?

@drben

Fantastic!

There are two types of predictions:

1. What will actually happen

2. What would have been even better than Moffat’s solution

Even if you don’t get #1, I see yours as a strong early contender for #2…

DisquietinWho @disquietinwho

Hello everyone, I’ve just joined in so I thought I’d introduce myself. I’ve been reading you all guys for a while, enjoying SO MUCH all the discussions and theories and possibilities, that I thought it was about time I popped in myself. I’m a recent DW follower from Spain and I am traveling through its past series while enjoying the new ones like mad. I’m passionate about storytelling and DW surely knows how to do that! Not much more for now, best for everyone!

janetteB @janetteb

Welcome @disquietinwho to the forum. Please don’t feel shy about leaping into the discussions.

I am not sure I can produce a coherent theory. I have a few ideas rattling about but they don’t really fit together. I think Missy is a new villian, possibly a Time Lord. I suspect she is TWitS though I am still clinging to the rapidly disappearing possibilty that it might somehow be Susan. On that note the children wanting their parents this week left me wondering if the Doctor thought of Susan or his own long gone children.

I think Clara has had a secondary personality, a “sleeper” which will be triggered by Missy. Or she might just be cloned. (the more boring option.)  I think Danny was born in the future but sent back, hence his childhood in the orphange. Orson is his twin. Maybe Susan sent him back to find the Doctor but he doesn’t know that yet. So Danny is the Doctor’s great grandson. Ok the last bit as as likely as the moon turning into a dragon. I think Clara’s addiction, maybe fueled by her invisible split persona will lead to trouble and Danny and the Doctor will have to team up. “team Tardis.”

Cheers

Janette

DrBen @drben

@blenkinsopthebrave – Thank you!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@janetteB- that’s fantastic as well.

I am wondering though, if the reason why the Doctor didn’t recognise Danny after seeing Orson (assuming he really didn’t) isn’t because he looks different when the Doctor sees him and when Clara sees him?

Anonymous @

Like @blenkinsopthebrave I think Clara may be the Doctor’s daughter (or grand-daughter, or great grand-daughter.)

As for Missy, I’m going with the Valeyard, simply because the Valeyard appears to be canon and Moffat will presumably have to confront the issue at some point. But I must confess I never saw any but the very first episode of Colin Baker’s tenure so my knowledge is rather hazy. I understand he (she) is some sort of dark iteration of the doctor from between his 12th and 13th regenerations. Also presenting the Valeyard – who is sort of the doctor – as a female, seems like a Moffatish way of breaking us in gently to a full blown female regeneration in the future.

But my record for wrongness is also unbroken!

Anonymous @

After hearing Missy refer to The Doctor as her “Boyfriend”, and having trolled through various Doctor Who specials looking for a suttle reference…I have come to the delusion that in some parallel dimension, Missy is the TARDIS , having taken permanent human form and its sent her mildly crazy….of course I may be wrong

wolfweed @wolfweed

Hi all. Thanks to all those concerned with my absence. I’m afraid I have some bad news. I was eaten by the Tythonian Ambassador.

But one day I shall come back. Yes, one day. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs… and prove to me that  I was not mistaken in mine.

z

I burnt up a Sun just to say goodbye…

Miss you all,

W

@wolfweed

Hurrah! You’re back!

(and speaking to us from the stomach of the Tythonian Ambassador–it must be warm in there)

DrBen @drben

@wolfweed – If you find yourself transported to the Nethersphere, please report back (in the spoilers thread, of course).

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@wolfweed!

Missed you.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@blenkinsopthebrave

@drben

@bluesqueakpip

I’m sorry to say that I’m not back. I’m just briefly haunting you (well it is nearly Halloween!). I’ve missed you all. However, I’m currently compost, and a full resurrection is off the cards for the time being.

Do keep your eyes peeled for my ghost, though. I’m the one who resembles a tumbleweed…

Keep on Who-ing!

Lots of love,

Wolfweed

@wolfweed

well, you make sure you come back soon. the place isn’t the same without you.

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’ll try, @blenkinsopthebrave

I’m sure you’ve all seen this trail for the Dr Who Experience – but I’m out of the loop now!

Check if it’s open though because I gather there’s been some filming there of late…..

W

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@wolfweed Just to add to the chorus – you’re sorely missed. Looking forward to your return, hopefully sooner rather than later.

BadWulf @badwulf

@rob Really interesting,  take it you’re a River fan too, or did that surprise you too.

I do rather like River, but, yes, I was also surprised that the episodes with her in were ones that I consistently appreciated much more highly than average.

@blenkinsopthebrave @drben @thommck In other news – I have now emailed the spreadsheet to @craig, so soon we might all be able to enjoy some story rating shenanigans!

@janetteb I really enjoyed the lists. I wasn’t quite sure if the ratings for the later ones were episode or character based. Ie you were rating the Doctor/RiverSong/Daleks or the stories in which they featured. I would like at some time to try doing my own ratings and see how they compare.

The calcs are based on my rating for the stories (BG) / Episodes (AG). I suppose I could add another section to the spreadsheet to show how each companion is rated overall…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

Glad to see you, if only for a little while. I’m sure you are aware you are always welcome in this peculiar “Promised Land”. PM me if you have any problems.

All the best.

WaterInTheForest @waterintheforest

I re-watched Time Of The Doctor today. If you have watched it, and no spoilers for those who haven’t, how would you sum up your reaction to the revelation of the origins of the Silence? It is hard for me not read spoilers and I was happy to just experience that revelation; I was completely along for the ride and totally geeked out when they wrapped up that story line. You have to love a good ontological paradox 🙂

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed. So glad to hear you are ok. You have been greatly missed here. Hope you can be back to join in the fun soon.

Chers

Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.