On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 1,124 replies, has 73 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,051 through 1,100 (of 1,125 total)
  • Author
    syzygy @thane16

Okaaay.

I’ve missed something. Resolution….This was an episode airing…..when? ‘This’ year as in Dec 31 2018/2019 (NY day)?

I MISSED IT.

How is this possible?

Is it on the DVD of the Whitakker series?

Syzygy.

syzygy @thane16

@craig  ??

Please sir, we need a new Sofa, I think. I can’t find things. There’s old wrappers from sweeties in 2017. And now I’ve gone & lost a whole memory thing. It’s been swiped. No Resolution. How could this happen? Did it have the Daleks? It had to, right? All the requirements et. al etc etc.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@thane16

Hi! Resolution was the New Years Day Special for 2019. It’s not on the front page anymore because of the two retrospectives.

You have to buy the DVD separately from the Series 11 box set – which is probably why you’re not remembering it as part of Series 11.

The forum for Resolution is here. You didn’t miss much – for some reason it was heavily troll infested.

@thane16

I’ve missed something. Resolution

You commented on the episode thread, Dear…

syzygy @thane16

@bluesqueakpip thank you for this…

@pedant “dear oh dear” my ass. 🙂  I commented but didn’t (‘ahem’) watch it.  I read some comments, thought (potentially a thought) I’d watch it forthwith.

But it never happened. I totally missed it.

Senility approaches

syzygy @thane16

if not senility, it was the other thing.

janetteB @janetteb

I watched it at the time but barely remembered it. News Years is not perhaps prime viewing time. We re watched it a week ago and it really is rather good. You will enjoy it, @thane16 A late or early Christmas gift.

cheers

Janette

@thane16

Aha! I forgot your penchant for diving onto thread before watching (smiley winky thing)…

syzygy @thane16

@pedant @janetteb  Gawd, do I? I thought it was just the once. I thought this: “it took pedant probably hours to find that!”  Except it didn’t, did it? 2 minutes & I’m blabbing about something I haven’t seen yet. Jeepers. Senility isn’t it. I hope. It’s random stupidity.

After being woken up by Devil Spawn “I’m going on a grad trip you didn’t fill in the registration permission form but you did all 11 others wake up wake up” I feel pretty crap about the fact he’s leaving us for 4 days.

Janette, do you know of the whole Schoolies Drunk Fest? Thane’s not going to that. But to an island, Tangalooma: where it’s alcohol free but requires a million forms. All of them. ALL OF THEM on line. Unfriggingbelievable.

So, I am going to buy the Resolution thingy today from JB-Hi Fi for $9. For myself. Because I am having a little sulk. The rest of those episodes  I have ….in some other….watchable …..form.

Puro or Syzygy or The Old One.

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Oh Gawd. That was on Hell Bent. Jeepers. I read that page. It’s all me. Blabbing. Mind you I was pretty ….well …you know…..lots of pain relief. ….High as a kite.

Blabbers.

winston @winston

@thane16   Don’t feel too bad, you are not the only one who missed that episode. I have not  been able to watch it because I don’t have that channel anymore and because it is not on the disc set of the series. I watched the series but missed the New Years episode so hopefully in the future my library will get it or my lovely youngest son(a Whovian through and through) will get it for me. I hope I didn’t comment on it because if I did I was full of ….it.  I heard it was good though ,probably here.

syzygy @thane16

@winston

Full of ….it? Ah some NY grog! Well that’s perfectly acceptable: delicious, legal, delicious, legal, fun, in the spirit of the new year god of all ….Sun Ra…

You lost the channel?  Where’d it go?  🙂

You have a good son who earns some cash. Thus you’ll get the episode. It’s annoying that it’s not on the DVD with all 12-13 other episodes. It’s not as if it’s a 22 episode wonder like dem ol’ days.

@pedant

No. No. I haven’t seen Emily yet. I imagine the music is not really in it? It just hits the teenage-ballade-vibe? Love the “dude, no, the other room.”

I can imagine the angry virgins….. You should patent the phrase…

Syzygy.

@thane16

I won’t comment on the music since they took a particular approach for a particular reason. Suffice to say the choons used in the dance sequence you see a glimpse of in the trailer is …not what one might expect… but works brilliantly. I will say that there is a truly splendid West Wing parody-cum-tribute that is a joy to behold.

And a very large bee.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

It is November 23. A mere 56 years ago two schoolteachers went searching for the student they were concerned about. Therefore, very shortly (as the light falls rather early out here on the island at this time of the year) I shall venture into the Blenkinsop cellar and raise a glass to those 56 years. From William Hartnell to Jodie Whittaker–it’s been a great ride. I hope others will be celebrating in their own way. It is just that…well…the site is strangely quiet…I can only assume that everyone is either making their way back from the off-licence with their celebratory drink of preference, or is busily whipping up a plate of fish fingers and custard.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave We celebrated by recording a podcast with our “cult tv” group about the first episode while eating jelly babies and the (poor) Australian equivalent of Jammy Dodgers. And I did a very silly “Who” themed colouring image for a local newsletter.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb That sounds brilliant! Mrs Blenkinsop suggested we watch episode 3 of “The Macra Terror” (having watched #1 and #2 last night). Obviously it was great watching animated Jamie attempt to out-run the dreaded Macra Terror as it closed in on him ominously. Episode Four will await the 57th year of Who(i.e. tomorrow).

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave You can listen to the podcast here  Warning though, some of our members are not “Clara” fans.

There is a reconstruction of a Hartnell episode which sounds interesting. Mission to the Unknown. It is done by Uni students. I have not been able to track it down as yet but read about it here

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb

thanks for the link. Both the “making of” docu and the actual episode reconstruction were excellent. And what a particularly dark one-off episode it was. Fascinating to know that the original was the last episode produced by Verity Lambert.

And all power to Andrew Ireland and the University of Central Lancashire!

@janetteb

here is the link to the reconstructed episode

P.s. For some reason it seems to jump about 2 minutes in at the beginning. Just make sure to drag it back to the beginning.

And here is the link to the “making of”

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  and @janetteb    I spent the day curled up on the couch with a nasty cold and as always when I need comfort I watch the Doctor. This time I watched  the last episodes and then the first of all the Doctors.(AG) I still feel sick but the comfort is like a warm and fuzzy blankie.

Who is like an escape from the day to day care and worries I take with me everywhere, my happy place. When I am sad or ill it comforts me,when I am pissed off and angry, it calms me and when I am stressed and frightened it soothes and encourages me. I have an episode for everything. Of course when I feel happy the Doctor is the best! I hope Doctor Who gives everyone else the pleasure it gives me and that it goes on for ever.

@winston

Who is definitely the very best solution to a winter cold. In terms of dosage, I recommend at least two a night.

Here’s to a speedy recovery.

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave  Thank you. When you are sick then who you gonna call…….a Doctor of course. Sorry for the mixed up quote but I watched the Ghostbusters today.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@winston Hope you get better soon. I always watch Doctor Who when I’m sick. I also remember a story of David Tennant watching Doctor Who to feel better when he was a child and had a injury or illness. It’s always best to have The Doctor when your sick.

Missy @missy

@winston @gamergirlavatar @blenkinsopthebrave

Something on which we agree.

Whenever I am sad (such as now with my OH, )or feeling off, I always watch  Doctor Who

David Tennant to start with, followed by Peter Capaldi.

DT makes me laugh, but PC makes me think, laugh and get teary – thanks to Steven Moffat’s script and Peters delivery.

janetteB @janetteb

@winston Hope you are feeling better soon and that the Doctor helps. I also watch Doctor Who when I need cheering up.  I am currently doing my annual pre Christmas re watch of the Christmas Specials, and the odd favourite episode in between.

Cheers

Janette

Every version of the theme tune. Simply staggering who far ahead of her time Delia Derbyshire was.

janetteB @janetteb

@pedant that is just what I was looking for last night. I do love the theme music.  Delia Derbyshire was indeed ahead of her time and her realisation of the music is inspired. Ron Grainer also deserves credit for composing it. I am always impressed at how well the music loans itself to new interpretations.

Cheers

Janette

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Hello all. Have been an exceedingly occasional presence on here over the last largely Wholess year, but am looking forward with excitement mingled with trepidation to the NYD episode and the new series. Trepidation because I so so so so want/need it to be good. Of course I always want/need Who to live up to the place I’ve given it in my life, and all the more so when the Doctor is apparently despised/dismissed by some simply because she’s not a he at the moment. But, even putting aside the whole Brexit/Tory nightmare, life is tough just now, as my youngest brother (our kid, aged 57) who was diagnosed with terminal cancer about 18 months ago, has now been told that the chemo isn’t working and their remaining options are limited in terms of availability and likelihood of buying extra time, and/or problematic in terms of side effects. So, maybe 3-4 months. So if I don’t show up to contribute, that’s probably why. I will if I can – when life’s a bastard, Who can be a source somehow of hope and comfort. Sounds daft to many people, I’m sure, but I think on here I can say that without fear of ridicule. Thanks for being here.

syzygy @thane16

@cathannabel I’m so sorry to hear this. So sorry. Anything you need, we’re here….Or just for the peace of knowing someone’s there but you may not  want to talk – just at the moment.  It’s not easy to find cheerful music but I shall look.

All our love, the Syzygy family. xxx

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@cathannabel I’m so sorry to hear this. I absolutely think Who can be a source of hope and comfort – especially here. x

@cathannabel, I hope that you might have the time to drop by occasionally, if only to lurk amongst a group of essentially kind-hearted people espousing some rather silly responses and reflections.

@cathannabel
    Oh shit, that’s awful. There really are no adequate words to bring solace, especially at this time of year when every pain is amplified by contrast.

All I have is solidarity and the warmest thoughts I can muster.

Whisht @whisht

@cathannabel – I haven’t the words to truly say how sorry I am to hear about your brother.
    Never feel daft or even guilty for going to places where you can find strength, space, peace and even laughter.
    We’ll all be here for you and your family.

Missy @missy

@cathannabel

You have my sympathy, as does your brother.

My OH also has terminal cancer and looking at him yesterday in hospital I would give him weeks.

To add to it, he has sciatica and cannot walk.

So my dear, I am on auto pilot and do what I can, as I am sure do you.

All my best wishes to you.

Missy

syzygy @thane16

@missy

I didn’t realise your husband’s condition was terminal. I’m so sorry to hear this. Do the doctors think he’ll be with you and your daughter at Christmas?

the life of sorrows, isn’t it?

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Thank you @missy,@thane16, @whisht, @pedant, @blenkinsopthebrave, @miapatrick. And to Missy, yes, one compartmentalises as best one can and does what one must and you have my deepest sympathy. One clings on to good things, and this place is a Good Thing and I will come here whenever I can even if I can’t muster bonkers theories about Who, because I know there will be kindness and understanding here. Thanks for that.

janetteB @janetteb

@cathannabel So sorry to hear about your brother. I hope you are able to be with him for the last few weeks. Such time is precious.

@missy. Sorry too to hear about your husband. I knew he was ill and was concerned for you.

This forum is a good place and long may it remain so. I dread the influx of trolls whenever there is a new season but they quickly get bored and go. This forums is like an extra room in the house where friends gather, the digital living room.

Regards

Janette

Missy @missy

@thane16 @cathannabel @janetteb

Thank you so much for your kind words. Life is so unfair is’t it?

My OH kayaked, didn’t smoke, didn’t drink.

I smoke and am sedentary, it should have been me.

He has reached the point where he cannot walk.

I shall pop in now and then to join in Un-Who chats *smiles*

Missy

winston @winston

@missy and @cathannabel  I am so sorry for you both and your families. Cancer sucks and it is terrible that you have to go through this with people you love. Please stop in now and then because I know that sometimes distraction is a blessing if only for a little while.Also know that we are thinking of you even if we don’t see you.

Hot on the heels of Who in January is the new version of Dracula by Gatiss and Moffat. I suspect that with  Chibnall the tinies may hide behind the sofa, while Gatiss and Moffat will be aiming to ensure that the adults do hide behind the sofa.

Here is the Netflix trailer for Dracula which seems to me to be much creepier than the BBC trailer:

@blenkinsopthebrave

Alas, the teaser is region-locked.

@pedant

Interesting, I didn’t realise youtube was region-locked. Afraid I cannot resolve it, as my computer skills are practically zero.

The difference between the two trailers is striking as, unlike the BBC trailer, the American trailer lacks the range of characters and the dialogue (particularly so with regard to the nuns) and just  focuses on creepy imagery and the one line of dialogue comes from Dracula himself (and not the humorous line in the BBC trailer).

@blenkinsopthebrave

Is this it?

@pedant

No, the American one I posted was a more recent trailer/teaser. But I have faith in your archival skills to locate it…

winston @winston

@blenkinsopthebrave and @pedant   I was able to watch all 3 trailers and it looks very creepy indeed. Dracula/ vampires have scared the heck out of me since I was a child so as good as it probably is I will be giving it a miss.My OH will watch it and tell me about it after( minus the gross parts).

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@blenkinsopthebrave

Looks like a very busy New Years Day – Doctor Who AND Dracula.

Interesting that the BBC thinks Sherlock is the big selling point.

Mudlark @mudlark

The BBC have another treat in store on Christmas Eve for viewers in the UK:  An adaptation by Mark Gatiss of the M R James story Martins Close featuring  Peter Capaldi as Dolben. the Prosecutor.

@bluesqueakpip

I think the reason for referencing Sherlock in the trailer is not just because it is a Gatiss/Moffat collaboration, but because Sherlock did Conan Doyle with a twist (ie, set it in the present). Although their  Dracula has a traditional period setting, I have heard that they may be doing Bram Stoker with a twist.

But, well….spoilers.

@mudlark

damn! I would love to see that (but, well, the wilds of Canada and all that). I re-watched his take of The First Men in the Moon by Wells only a couple of nights ago, an interpretation I love. A Gatiss interpretation M.R. James (with Capaldi!) sounds brilliant.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,051 through 1,100 (of 1,125 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (9)’ is closed to new replies.