Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor

Home Forums Episodes The Twelfth Doctor Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor

This topic contains 189 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Missy 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

@ichabod:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR LAST SUNDAY M’DEAR.

I understand what you say ichi. At 79 I feel much the same as you. Every year is a new adventure, a new experience waiting in the wings. Life never really stands still, and if you look hard, there is always something to look forward to.

Not self indulgent, thoughtful, and honest. I don’t believe that anyone truly loses  who they are, their basic character- for better or worse.

As for my Doctor, I’d rather he didn’t give up but simply left, and let her get on with it. *shudder*

As I – wishful thinker that I am- said, he doesn’t have to regenerate, Mr. Hartnell can instead. Had I been writng the finale, that’s what I’d have written.

Unfortuantely, things rarely work out the way you’d like them to.

Missy

Mudlark @mudlark

@ichabod

It seems that we think alike about the 12th Doctor’s resistance to the prospect of regeneration, and for very much the same reasons. Growth and change are a part of life’s process, and on the whole are to be welcomed; but the abrupt changes involved in the successive regenerations of the Doctor are not of the same order as gradual evolution in the process of ageing – which every incarnation of the Doctor also experiences to some extent – and so must, if we think about it, be as hard if not harder to face than the prospect of death and the possibility of final extinction.  So damn right, if I were the Doctor I would be less philosophical than was Matt Smith’s Doctor about the prospect, or  than the fourth Doctor, for that matter.

Evidently we share a birthday, you and I, since it was last Sunday that I notched up my three quarter century (the synchronicity even extended to our state of health, because I was recovering from some kind of mild stomach upset and so not really in a state to feel up to celebrating in proper style).  But I share that feeling of a threshold crossed, and the sense that there is so much still to do and to experience, and perhaps little time to achieve it, especially as time seems subjectively to pass ever more rapidly – the past year faster than ever. My own musings recently on the theme of memento mori have circled around the realisation of how much individual insight and historical knowledge is lost when any individual dies, but a Time Lord has the advantage of at least being able to carry that forward through successive regenerations, even if s/he chooses to edit the memories.

Incidental and off topic observation.  I don’t tend to get many birthday cards these days, even from my closest relatives, who are not the best at remembering anniversaries, but two which I received this year featured owls.  As far as I am aware, the people who sent them are not aware that I have a particular liking for owls, so I am struck by the coincidence and wonder if there is any significance in it 😕

PertweeTroughton @pertweetroughton

The Twelfth Doctor’s era is, um, different. I think Series 8 is extremely mediocre, Series 9 is terrible, and Series 10 is fantastic. So really, if you average it out, the era is mediocre, but for some reason, it doesn’t feel like that.

I list my rating for each episode.

Deep Breath: 4/10

Into the Dalek: 5/10

Robot of Sherwood: 5/10

Listen: 3/10

Time Heist: 5/10

The Caretaker: 7/10

Kill the Moon: 2/10

Mummy on the Orient Express: 8/10

Flatline: 8/10

In the Forest of the Night: 2/10

Dark Water: 5/10

Death in Heaven: 4/10

Last Christmas: 4/10

The Magician’s Apprentice: 3/10

The Witch’s Familiar: 3/10

Under the Lake: 8/10

Before the Flood: 3/10

The Girl Who Died: 2/10

The Woman Who Lived: 2/10

The Zygon Invasion: 6/10

The Zygon Inversion: 4/10

Sleep No More: 2/10

Face the Raven: 7/10

Heaven Sent: 10/10

Hell Bent: 1/10

The Husbands of River Song: 4/10

The Return of Doctor Mysterio: 7/10

The Pilot: 8/10

Smile: 8/10

Thin Ice: 9/10

Knock Knock: 6/10

Oxygen: 9/10

Extremis: 8/10

The Pyramid at the End of the World: 7/10

The Lie of the Land: 7/10

Empress of Mars: 7/10

The Eaters of Light: 6/10

World Enough and Time: 10/10

The Doctor Falls: 10/10

Let’s just hope Twice Upon a Time is good…

Missy @missy

@pertweetroughton:

Some of your choices I agree with, and some I don’t.

For starters, none of PC’s series were mediocre, or terrible. You simply didn’t like them.

My marks out of 10.

Deep Breath: 9/10

Into the Dalek: 6/10

Robot of Sherwood: 10/10

Listen: 9/10

Time Heist: 10/10

The Caretaker: 10/10

Kill the Moon: 2/10

Mummy on the Orient Express: 10/10

Flatline: 9/10

In the Forest of the Night: 2/10

Dark Water: 8/10

Death in Heaven: 8/10

Last Christmas: 7/10

The Magician’s Apprentice: 10/10

The Witch’s Familiar: 10/10

Under the Lake: 7/10

Before the Flood: 7/10

The Girl Who Died: 2/10 (agreed)

The Woman Who Lived: 2/10 (agreed)

The Zygon Invasion: 10/10

The Zygon Inversion: 10/10

Sleep No More: 2/10

Face the Raven: 10/10

Heaven Sent: 10/10

Hell Bent: 10/10

The Husbands of River Song: 10/10

The Return of Doctor Mysterio: 8/10

The Pilot: 10/10

Smile: 6/10

Thin Ice: 9/10

Knock Knock: 6/10

Oxygen: 7/10

Extremis: 10/10

The Pyramid at the End of the World: 7/10

The Lie of the Land: 7/10

Empress of Mars: 7/10

The Eaters of Light: 6/10

World Enough and Time: 10/10

The Doctor Falls: 10/10

Let’s just hope Twice Upon a Time is good…

Don’t hold your breath.

Missy

</div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-pagination”></div>

janetteB @janetteb

I am currently one episode away from completing a re watch of all the CapDoc stories so almost ready to do my own review. My scores will be different again, which is what makes it fun. (I avoided the Christmas specials as I like to do a watch of all of them as part of my pre Christmas viewing so not ready to “mark’ them yet.) At this stage, it being almost midnight here I will only give an overall. Series 8 was probably about a 7/10. series 9 an 8/10 and series 10 a 9/10. If only Capaldi was staying around for one more season preferably with Bill and Nardole too.
    Cheers
    Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb;

Life is full of “If only.” I am dreading the special for the first time ever.

As series go, my marks would be series 8.  8/10.  Series 9.  8/10 (the girl who died and lived prevented a higher  score)

series 10. 10/10.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy I said the same when Ecclestone was leaving, and when Tennant was going, and when Matt Smith moved on. It is always hard to let go and I would like every one of the AG Doctors to have done at least one more series.
    Cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@pertweetroughton  So really, if you average it out, the era is mediocre, but for some reason, it doesn’t feel like that.

IMO, the reason is that it isn’t mediocre but so much better than that, that the “lows” can’t hold the rest down.  And I think that Moffat-Capaldi-and-all achieved so much *despite* the lapses and flat bits etc. that it’s the intimations of depth that grab you even in stories that are spinning out of control.

I’m very curious to see how people look back on this particular DW period from a few years down the line.  I think it’s going to be interesting — but maybe that’s because I can’t help anticipating much more conventional, if more even, work with Chibnall at the helm (judging by my own reactions to other Chibnall work).

ichabod @ichabod

@mudlark   . . . the realisation of how much individual insight and historical knowledge is lost when any individual dies, but a Time Lord has the advantage of at least being able to carry that forward through successive regenerations

I know that feeling (we do seem to be on a wavelength here, and happy birthday to you too!).  It’s so frustrating — every time I asked my maternal grandmother about her early life in Vienna, she’d say, “That doesn’t matter, I’m just so happy to be here in America and watching Milton Berle!”  My Dad would say, “That was a long time ago; I don’t remember.”  But then you see older people sometimes on TV talking about memories from their lives, and it’s absolutely mesmerizing, and you’re thinking, “Thank gods somebody got this down on film!”  Because for is, it’s all gone.

Maybe not, though, any more?  For those of us with computer access, a lot more about us may linger to be “excavated” electronically than most people ever left behind in letters and diaries . . . in such profusion, in fact, that most such “voices” will probably be lost forever in the Niagara of data (not just the real stuff but all the damned advertising and propaganda etc) that will face future students of — well, us.  If there are some; and if the whole thing doesn’t crash, taking all that information with it . . . If we’re lucky (?), the internet will serve as the repository of our life experiences, the way the TLs do when they die and get popped into the Matrix (or is it something else?), only in complete chaos, in our case.  Wow.

Actually, though, if automation continues to wipe out jobs, indeed entire professions while medicine makes greater gains in life extension, there will be a lot of people standing around with endless amounts of time on their hands and nothing to do, so . . . maybe they can be historians?  Huh.  There’s a story in there.  Maybe I’ll start it tomorrow, if I’m not sleeping all over the place.

Missy @missy

@janetteb:   I said the same when Ecclestone was leaving, and when Tennant was going, and when Matt Smith moved on. It is always hard to let go and I would like every one of the AG Doctors to have done at least one more series.

You see, I didn’t. although I really liked the first three, I didn’t mind them moving on because I was curious.

This is why I cannot understand why I am so gutted about PC leaving and am not a bit curious.

Missy

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

IMO, the reason is that it isn’t mediocre but so much better than that, that the “lows” can’t hold the rest down.  And I think that Moffat-Capaldi-and-all achieved so much *despite* the lapses and flat bits etc. that it’s the intimations of depth that grab you even in stories that are spinning out of control.

I’m very curious to see how people look back on this particular DW period from a few years down the line.  I think it’s going to be interesting — but maybe that’s because I can’t help anticipating much more conventional, if more even, work with Chibnall at the helm (judging by my own reactions to other Chibnall work).

Seconded.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@ichabod Interesting comment re’ people being “excavated electronically”. I have done just that in the last year. We knew nothing about my s/o ancestors, not even their names. I discovered that they lived two blocks from us, delved into historical records on line, (not ancestry which I found was mostly rubbish) and discovered so much information about them that I have written a biography which I hope to get published. they emerged from mostly old papers as fleshed out human beings though we still have no images of them.

And back to topic, l was just trying to explain to my S/O that for me it was the depth, the meaning in Moffat’s stories that made them so good. The stories themselves often didn’t entirely hold up but that didn’t matter because the exploration of character, the ideas, the message carried the episode. Only you said it so much better. and yes I fear that Chibnell’s work will be more conventional and probably better constructed but entirely lacking the Moffat magic.

cheers
    Janette

michael jack @michaeljack

@wolfweedThe role of the Doctor, which Peter Capaldi embodied.

Agreed. Damn, I’m really gonna miss him.

Guys, I need your assistance in finding the 12th doctor who Peter Capaldi coat’s exact match. https://imgur.com/hWF1ctp

Any idea where to get it?

Missy @missy

I’ve told all my friends that I’ve gone into mourning for the loss of Peter Capaldi. *sighs*

Watched one of the last interviews in New York. Just before the end, they showed a video of people of both sexes, saying how much HE meant to them. All bar one (I think), were young women and men.

I was under the impression that it was that age group (especially the females) that wanted a female Doctor and PC hadn’t been popular?

Mmm. Although a small cross section all over the world, it put the lie to that one.

He made a lovely goodbye speech, got  a standing ovation (AGAIN) and I’m sure he was on the brink of weeping as he left the stage. I could be wrong however.

I certainly was. Weeping I mean.

@michaeljack;

So sorry, I can’t help. perhpas Craig can?

Missy

michael jack @michaeljack

I came across with this https://www.fjackets.com/buy/12th-Doctor-Who-Coat.html  looks amazing to me. What’s your view…

Hiker @hiker

Assuming you want the season 8 coat with the red lining, it’s a Crombie coat, a bit pricey.

https://www.crombie.co.uk/lookbook/the-crombie-coat/

Also this: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7010.0

Not sure if that link works, but Tardis Builders has a great thread on  ‘Evolution of the Capaldi Costume’.

Invaluable.

Missy @missy

@hiker and @michaeljack

Thanks for the links.

Missy

Clara @clarabluebelle

All I have to say is “eeuughhhh.” That’s it, and that pretty much sums up the 12th Doctor.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@clarabluebelle

You registered just to say that? Gosh.

Missy @missy

@clarabluebelle:
    Perhaps you need a hobby? *big grin*

@bluesqueakpip:
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

yes indeed, well said @bluesqueakpip I think you nailed it.
    Cheers
    Janette

Habemus Doctorem @habemusdoctorem

“Explore every nook and cranny of the Twelfth Doctor’s TARDIS in 360º!”
    It also has some extra goodies from 12’s adventures.

https://doctor-who-explorer.pilots.bbcconnectedstudio.co.uk/ (javascript required)

Missy @missy

<span class=”useratname”>@habemusdoctorem:</span>

Interesting. thanks for that.

Missy
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”></div>

Hiker @hiker

The countdown is killing me! Just do it already, rip my heart out!

I’m looking forward to the Christmas episode, I’m fine with Whittaker, but, no more PCap!

Argh!

(Yes, I know, this post in neither helpful nor enlightening. The fan-girl struggle is real.)

Hiker

Missy @missy

@hiker:

I’m in two minds, part, like you, is looking forward to the special, but the other part is dreading it. *shudder*

I shall buy it separately this time.

Missy

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

I don’t want him to go, I don’t want him to go, I don’t want him to go! The time as flown by, I can’t believe it. I wish Peter can have one more season, just one more. The only downside to that is it would be harder to see him leave afterwards. When Peter first became The Doctor I wasn’t just nervous, I was scared of him. I heard all the rumors that his doctor was going to be darker and to me that meant he wasn’t able to be a hero. I thought he wasn’t going to behave like The Doctor. Than Deep Breath aired, and while I wanted to watch the next episode before I planned my thoughts about this new doctor (because regeneration always makes The Doctor act differently), it was easy to spot that he was still just as crazy and caring as all the others. He was disappointed that he brought the dinosaur to a time where it could get hurt and he was crazy enough to attempt climbing out a window. It was also clear that like the other doctors, you shouldn’t let him get bored or he’ll do what ever comes to mind. I love that in The Doctor. In this case, he writes on the floor and walls. It’s good that he got a chalkboard later on. I was sill unsure of him when Into the Dalek aired, but I was agreeing with what The Doctor had to say, laughing at his less than polite behavior and listing off theories about what could happen next. I was able to sit down, watch an adventure and act like nothing has happen although I still wanted to watch more before I claimed my thoughts about this new doctor. However, I did notice that he wasn’t darker, he was still himself he just had a slightly different approach to things in a few episodes. Than somewhere down the line he became my favorite. I noticed that he was still The Doctor and more and more episodes came out. The more episodes aired, the more this doctor embody everything The Doctor should be in my point of view. I especially love the philosophy that came with Peter’s doctor. The Doctor’s philosophy doesn’t change much through the show, every life is important, you shouldn’t just let time pass by because everything can be gone in a second, but Peter’s doctor was thrown into the most terrible situations The Doctor has ever had to face. And we got to see the struggle between The Doctor living by his philosophy and trying to remain his sanity (Hell Bent is a good example of this). Also I just love the smaller moments of this, such as him wanting to lose just once in Heaven Sent but knowing that he couldn’t, he kept pushing himself to win for billions of years. Also his more logical and rational thinking was always fun to see, such as him retreating to his mind in Heaven Sent, where he says always plan you are going to live, never plan on dying or else you don’t see all possibilities on living. All those moments just made up The Doctor to me. Now I can’t believe I used to be scared of him. Peter brought so much to the role in terms of character and his wonderful acting made every scene perfect to me. I am so sad to see him go, but on the bright side there’s going to be one more story with him. I can’t wait to see it but I know I’m going to sad. I don’t want him to go!

Missy @missy

@gamergirlavatar:

You have said it all, and I feel your pain.

He suffered far more than any of the other Doctors. He was injured more than any of them.

He lost so many people that he loved, including River, the love of his life, yet he never gave up.

I shall always remember his look of despair and hurt, when Missy betrayed him, and can only hope that

somewhere, somehow, Steven Moffat managed to write a scene where he finds out she was coming to stand with him.

The most poignant and funny episodes – in my opinion – were those written by Steven Moffat.

I didn’t want him to go either.

All of you will be giving your thoughts before me. I shan’t watch the special until the next afternoon. There is no

way I’m going to bed happily after watching the special, thank you very much.

Oh well, as MY  Doctor said:

Things end. That’s all. Everything ends, and it’s always sad. But everything begins again too, and that’s always happy. Be happy. I’ll look after everything else. 

Missy

winston @winston

@missy I feel your pain. For one of the first times I am actually stressed about watching a Doctor Who Christmas special because of the end of the 12th rather than the start of 13. I will watch though and I hope it is a fitting end to a great Doctor. Thanks for the quote,it made me feel better ,like the Doctors words always do. Have a great Christmas.

Missy @missy

@winston:

Thank you and be aware that I feel the same.

I have never felt like this before. The only thing I can put it down to, is that although PC said several times,

that the Doctor was an alien not Human, somehow he manged to make his Doctor more human than any of the

actors before him.

Gawd, I’m going to miss the picture in the corner when Craig takes it off. I shan’t look.

You have a great Christmas too, and when I’ve got over the special, I’ll be back.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

I do hope that the Twelfth Doctor is given a reason to keep on living that’s more than just “the universe needs the Doctor”.  To quote Homer Simpson, “Can’t somebody else do it?”  😉  The universe hasn’t given this Doctor enough back; I can’t blame him — given what he’s just gone through — for wanting to embrace eternal rest if that’s the cost of not changing.  We’ll just have to see.

I won’t be seeing “Twice Upon a Time” until Tuesday morning at the earliest, so I’ll get back here then.

Hiker @hiker

18 hours…

I’ve never spent a Christmas Eve less focused on Christmas and more on Doctor Who.

I guess Capaldi really is my Doctor. (Sorry Tennant, I just can’t help it).

@miss Rodri,

I also hope the reason to regenerate is interesting/compelling. Maybe even mentions that he’s beyond the usual 12 and what effect that might have. (In my dreams).

Hiker

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@missy

I’ve been saying that twelfth quote for weeks now, trying to cheer myself up. Thank you for that *smiles*.

Unfortunately, I don’t think The Doctor will ever learn about Missy siding with him, it’s such a shame.

Your going to be posting your thoughts before me. I’m going to watch it on the 27th. My friends and I are going to see it at the theater and we all had to promise not to watch it before than. I can’t wait to hear your thoughts though. Best of luck.

MissRori @missrori

Check out this retrospective piece and let me know what you all think:

Farewell to Peter Capaldi’s Underrated Time on Doctor Who

Missy @missy

@gamergirlavatar:

I haven’t read other posts, but decided to answer yours.

I too shall not be watching it until the 27th – in the afternoon.  No way I’m watching something so emotional at night.

If that sounds daft to some, too bad, I know me very well.

How extraordinary to feel this way about a fictional TV character, but I do.

Good luck to you as well m’dear.

Missy

nerys @nerys

Thank you for the link to that article, @missrori! So, a question I have after reading that is, was Jenna Coleman asked to return for this Christmas special, and it didn’t work out? The author indicated that Bill Potts got what is essentially Clara Oswald’s ending. I got the impression, after reading other posts, that Pearl Mackie’s casting in this episode came about at the last moment, due to scheduling.

MissRori @missrori

@nerys The article was written and posted before the Christmas special aired, and isn’t discussing it with regards to the endings of Clara and Bill.  The author is just referring to their respective fates in “Hell Bent” and “The Doctor Falls” — both women die, at least in a metaphorical sense, and the Doctor isn’t able to do anything for them as much as he wants to.  He can’t restore Clara to full life because her death is a fixed point, and he can’t de-Cyberize Bill because they don’t have access to the TARDIS on Floor 507 and saving the solar farmers is a bigger concern than saving their own hides.  But both women are ultimately restored to a new kind of life that also grants them the freedom to explore all of time and space with a companion of their own, and for various reasons the Doctor cannot follow them (the Hybrid issue and that he’s been mind-wiped in Clara’s case, and because Bill believed him dead in hers).  Some fans even have the headcanon that the bisexual Clara (who said she’d fight the Doctor for Me back when they first met her) and possibly-bi Me (who did refer to Clara as “beautiful”) become lovers, as Bill and Heather are!

As for Pearl Mackie’s presence in “Twice Upon a Time”, Moffat says that Bill wasn’t in early drafts of that episode because he figured the Captain was a sufficient “companion” figure for the audience to relate to, but he later decided the story needed more “fun” and wrote in Bill.

nerys @nerys

Thanks for that explanation, @missrori! Makes sense to me. I was thinking a bit too literally … as usual!

ichabod @ichabod

Just saw the film tonight in a freezing cold cinema, came home, and watched it again on Amazon Prime.  God damn it, those people — the actors I mean — were excellent!  And Capaldi was superb.  Now 12 is over, and I’m feeling both sated and bereft.  He projected such a pervasive sense of steadfastness in the midst of doubt, vulnerability, and a never-absent awareness, re the universe, of how “The more I save it, the more it needs saving” — the ultimate tragedy of losing to Entropy no matter what you do.

But then there’s that other thing, that wild card, which I understand as the uneven-ness of Entropy — that even while everything inevitably winds and breaks down, there are “islands” of positive re-organization popping up (like the Christmas Armistice of 1914), and although they’re irreparably impermanent, we do get chances to recognize them, shore them up, and keep them going as long as possible, by positive actions.  Which is what the Doctor tries to do despite everything, because he can.  Maybe I’m reading things into what I’ve been seeing, but I think not — that damn bell is always ringing somewhere in the back of this Doctor’s mind.

And that’s what I think goes on in the minds of all of us in middle-age and beyond, regardless of moments of joy and giggles and insight and connection.  It’s just so — familiar, and so hard to read that awareness beating like a third heart, a shadow heart, even with the comedy of “they took out all the jokes”.  Hard to miss it, in that long Scots-Italian face.

Great face for this particular Doctor; I’m going to miss it like blazes.

ichabod @ichabod

Some bits and bobs from radiotimes.com:

Episode writer and departing showrunner, Steven Moffat said that getting Capaldi’s send off right “took whatever emotions we were both having about leaving and put them on screen where they belong”. Moffat added: “By the time we got to that part of filming I think Peter and I were probably the least emotional on set because we’d put it all in the show!” “But I’m delighted to report he’s in Glasgow and texting me pictures of Tardises he finds in the street – just as you think he’s left it all behind entirely. He found a red one – he wasn’t please at all…” It just goes to show, you can take the Doctor out of the Tardis but you can’t take the Tardis out of the Doctor… — radiotimes interview, 25 Dec.

Interesting, about using emotions about being in the situation (endings, departures, changing of the guard, etc.) in the story and how useful that was.  Moffat says, in that info piece that began the screening of Twice where they’re all sitting at those long tables having a reading of the script, “If we cry, they won’t.”

Definition of the *opposite* of “method acting” as I’ve always understood it (although these categories can’t be hard and fast).  I think the “Dear boy, I pretend” style works best for me — all that concentration on acting emotions effectively instead of indulging in them up on screen creates a particularly laser-like intensity that I can appreciate more.

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

You put it so much better than I, but then I never was good at writing down my emotional response to anything. I simply feel.

Great face for this particular Doctor; I’m going to miss it like blazes.

So am I ici, so am I. Lovely post.

But I’m delighted to report he’s in Glasgow and texting me pictures of Tardises he finds in the street – just as you think he’s left it all behind entirely. He found a red one – he wasn’t please at all…” It just goes to show, you can take the Doctor out of the Tardis but you can’t take the Tardis out of the Doctor… — radiotimes interview, 25 Dec.

He really loved being the Doctor didn’t he.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@ichabod

That red TARDIS is on Sauchiehall St and is usually a coffee kiosk. And yes it is annoying in its wrong colour. (Though could be worse, the one on Buchanan St was a hideous lime green for a while….)

ichabod @ichabod

@jimthefish — Aargghh!  Lime green?  I hope someone was put in the stocks for that.

@missy   I never was good at writing down my emotional response to anything. I simply feel.

Well, that’s what us hyper-verbals do in the world: put it out there for people to recognize as their own; or, just as importantly, not, or not quite.

For those who thought it would have ended better if Moffat had let “The Doctor Falls” be the regeneration episode: itimight have, but then we’d have never gotten “Another life won’t kill anyone — except me”: and “So that’s what it means — being the Doctor of War”; “I AM younger!”; an empty battlefield; “Doctor — I let you go” and other delights.  Gatiss was excellent.  Everybody was excellent.  That’s why I feel as if I’ve been run over by a pretty excellent truck.

@hiker  I also hope the reason to regenerate is interesting/compelling.

It struck me as fine — just remembering that he’s not just a child-like adult, and a worn-out elder, but a mature person who knows at least as much as the Captain does — that it’s right and necessary that the children replace the parents (which makes Whittaker into Capaldi’s daughter in a regeneration sort of way — yipes!).

nerys @nerys

Last night I rewatched “Dark Water” and “A Death in Heaven” (plus “Last Christmas”), and was struck by how young Peter Capaldi looked, compared with how he looked in “Twice Upon a Time” (plus most of Seasons 9 and 10). At the time all we heard about was how old he looked. Of course, after Matt Smith, who wouldn’t? So I sort of accepted that he looked old. But at least to me, looking back on it now, he doesn’t look old at all. Certainly, in his last two seasons, Capaldi’s Doctor looks increasingly weathered. Despite Smith’s youth, at times his Doctor seemed ancient. It’s been interesting to see the progression all the actors make throughout their time as the Doctor.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@nerys

You can see why none of the modern Doctors last more than three seasons-plus-specials when you compare them at the beginning and end of their run. I swear, they all of them look ten years older, not three or four.

Not to mention the back operations, knee operations…

ScaryB @scaryb

It’s not just the demands of actually filming, including it being a physically demanding role, with all the running down corridors, being blown up etc. It’s also the promotional parts of the role, which these days includes the major Comic Cons and events all over the world. There’s always been a bit of that (I think since Pertwee), and all the Doctors have taken the role seriously (there are lots of lovely stories about Tom Baker “being the Doctor” for fans), but nowadays “being the Doctor” is pretty much a full time job. (Although not in the same way it was for Hartnell and co, when they were turning out more than 40 episodes/year).

Apologies if anyone’s posted this before, but this just surfaced today, a really lovely story about Capaldi’s letter to a young fan, which seems to be typical of his attitude, especially to the younger fans.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/dec/28/peter-capaldi-writes-to-reassure-young-fan-about-doctor-who-regeneration

Missy @missy

@scaryb:

What a generous man, and how moving.

David must have been a very happy young man to recieve that letter.

Using Moffat’s words were very appropriate, lovely touch.

There again, most of Moffat’s words are appropriate.

He has written so many speeches, and one liners, all of which apply to the human condition and are so true.

Then he found the perfect actor to deliver them.

How I shall miss his brand of profundity.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

I’ve been looking at Capaldi’s first episodes again in the past few days and it’s certainly striking how different he looks, but he’s certainly more comfortable in the role at the end, it seems. But what’s been striking me is how Twice Upon A Time calls back to so much in those first stories. His scepticism to Bill’s ‘reality’ mirrors Clara’s initial rejection of him in Deep Breath.

There’s other moments of circularity too. Rusty the Dalek being another obvious one, I suppose. But also more generally the Doctor’s acceptance and understanding of soldiers — an issue in s8 but brought to closure by his final salute to and saving of The Captain.

But most of all, there’s the defining question of 12’s run — ‘Am I a good man’. In both his speech to the Masters and his final advice to his future self in Twice Upon A Time, he finally has the answer ‘Yes, of course I am.’ Those passionate speeches are one of 12’s defining characteristics and they are important; because the knowledge and insight contained within them is not something he’s inherited from other Doctors, it’s not something he’s remembering. Rather, it’s something that he’s had to (re)learn for himself. It’s a lesson that he values because there was a lot of effort and even a bit of pain attached to the acquiring of it. And that’s maybe why he’s so keen to make sure it gets passed on to the next Doctor.

I have one question though. If 12’s Scottishness was imprinted from Amy, is there going to be an in-universe explanation of 13’s Yorkshireness?

FatManInABox @fatmaninabox

@jimthefish

is there going to be an in-universe explanation of 13’s Yorkshireness?

If it hadn’t been for the accent, I’d have said that The Doctor’s recent encounter with Capt. Lethbridge-Stewart may have had an influence. In the next Doctors first, very brief moments, I found myself thinking of Kate Stewart.

Missy @missy

@jimthefish:

As Christopher Eccleston’s Doctor said to Rose:

ROSE: If you are an alien, how comes you sound like you’re from the North?
    DOCTOR: Lots of planets have a north.

Missy

Hiker @hiker

More than Mt Dew has been imbibed…

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.