Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor

Home Forums Episodes The Twelfth Doctor Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor

This topic contains 110 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  ichabod 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

This is not much to say, but today Peter turned 60 years old. I wish him a happy birthday. On the 15th, it will be the birthday of Maisie Williams. She played one of my favorite characters of season 9. Happy birthday Peter Capaldi and happy birthday to Maisie Williams, two great actors who brought so much to their roles.

ichabod @ichabod

Yikes!  I remember 60.  Well, sort of.  Intimidating, that’s what it was.  Back then.  Eighty, now . . . a year and a half away, and “intimidating” doesn’t begin to describe it.

Back to the gym tomorrow; you can always try to outrun — well, out-*walk* it, I guess.  But no doubt Peter C will be too busy with new possibilities to give it much of a thought.  I doubt that anything on offer will include the kind of athletics that DW demands from its stars!

I hope Jodie Whittaker has good, strong knees — !

Habemus Doctorem @habemusdoctorem

I don’t know if this is the correct thread for this.

To all Swedish fan.  The 8th season, PC’s first as the Doctor, is now available on SVT play
    (equivalent to BBC iplayer). I am a bit surprised but also hope this is a sign that SVT will
    show the new season with Jodie as well.

Kharis @kharis

Just spent a lazy afternoon reading this thread from start to finish.  Really enjoyed some of my favorite Forum writers’ contributions.  I’ve been missing the Doctor, especially Capaldi’s Doctor.  Thank you @wolfweed @jimthefish @drben @ichabod @missrori @mudlark @winston @missy @nerys @bluesqeakpip and I really appreciated the new voice of @gamergirlavatar

Sadly mourning the Capaldi era with a plan to do a full re-watch this week.

@kharis Thanks for the kind words. I just finished most of the Sylvester McCoy era and was planning to re-watch Peter’s time as the doctor this week as well. I still miss him but I’m so happy for Jodie’s trailer being release soon. It’s going to be fun to see some of Peter’s greatest moments and some of my favorite episodes.

Kharis @kharis

@gamergirlavatar

Yes, it will be delightful to go back through Capaldi’s seasons, especially season 9, ‘Listen’ and ‘The Pilot’ I’m personally eager to revisit.

Going back through Classic Who also sounds like fun.  I find the classic episodes hard to find, and Google Play (which I use) does not have the best selection.  One of my favorite eras which include the 4th Doctor, Sarah Jane Smith and Romana 2 is probably the hardest to find.  I heard there is an animated version of Shada, but yet to get my hands on it.

@kharis I’m on the last episode with Romana 2 as a companion and I’m sad to see her leave. After watching Romana’s and Sarah Jane’s time as companions, they have become some of my favorites characters although I can never seem to pick just one favorite companion. Finding Classic Who episodes was really hard for me as well. I recently found them at my library but they don’t have some of the stories. I now have three stories of Colin Baker’s time and Sylvester McCoy’s time left to watch, but I can’t find them. Many of the stories I still can’t watch because people scratch the DVDs, so I have to check out three copies of the same disc in order to make sure I have one that will play. It’s very upsetting, soon I’ll just have to start buying the classic seasons. I’ve also been wanting to watch Shada but I can’t find it. Oh well, we’ll see it some day. Season 9 is going to be fun to watch. Some episodes from season 9 and 10 I’ve only seen once, so I’m eager to see those again. I’m just worried because I’ve to get season 8 and 10 at the library. There’s a reason I’ve only seen The Eaters of Light once. Hope you have a better time re-watching Capaldi’s era and finding classic seasons than I have.

janetteB @janetteb

We just (re)watched Deep Breath two nights ago. We have been working through all of AG Who, with a few exceptions. I have enjoyed every Doctor and wish they had all done at least one more season but I don’t think any burst onto the screen with quite the same “Doctorishness” that Capaldi does and that is no mean feat. Capaldi “owns” the role from the offset. I don’t think I would ever tire of watching him as the Doctor. The more often I watch his episodes the better he is.

@gamergirlavatar and @kharis Good luck with finding those episodes. I wish it were possible to help. We have the collection, though not all in best quality. Years ago we found a video of a Shada reconstruction at our local Video hire place. It was not badly done and showed that it would have been a fun story had it been completed. I have not seen the recent version yet.

Cheers
    Janette

@janetteb Watching all these different doctors lately makes me wish all of them had at least one more season. It also makes me wish that Doctor Who wasn’t cancel, McCoy could of have two more years and McGann could of have more than such a terrible movie. Capaldi is still my doctor and re-watching his episodes makes me enjoy the stories even more. Recently saw Under the Lake and Before the Flood the other day and saw some of my favorite moments. Capaldi met the challenge of breaking the fourth wall and made it my favorite beginning of all his episodes. He was completely Doctorish.

Thanks for the luck, I need it. Last night I tried to watch The Ambassadors of Death and the disc was scratched. I’m going to return it to the library and find another copy. That Shada reconstruction sounds fascinating. I’m sure it would have been a good story. I’m really happy Tom could return to the part of the Doctor in the animated version. I hope there can be more uncompleted stories turned into animated episodes, bringing these wonderful actors back into their roles.

Missy @missy

@kharis:

I too am mourning the loss of PC.

@janetteb:   We just (re)watched Deep Breath two nights ago. We have been working through all of AG Who, with a few exceptions. I have enjoyed every Doctor and wish they had all done at least one more season but I don’t think any burst onto the screen with quite the same “Doctorishness” that Capaldi does and that is no mean feat. Capaldi “owns” the role from the offset. I don’t think I would ever tire of watching him as the Doctor. The more often I watch his episodes the better he is.

My sentiments exactly. I try to think kindly  about a female Doctor and JW in particular, but I can’t. It’s all wrong in my opinion.

As I’ve mentioned ad nauseam , Kris Marshall should have got the role, he’s perfect.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  I think JW will be fine, though probably more limited in scope by the scripts given her; I just a fascinating documentary on PBS about working artists who are also mothers, and how their art explores areas of experience pretty much utterly ignored til now, unless seen through the eyes of male artists.  I found some of it kinda urpy, to tell the truth, but the central argument — that there are stories for women artists to tell from their own personal perspectives that have simply not been told in that way before, shutting a whole huge span of human experience out of the arts except as seen and told by the half of humanity that *doesn’t ever have and never has had that experience* — quite compelling.

Not that DW could or should go as far as some of these artists have gone; not a show with a young kid audience.  But, as I expect we’ve all noticed, our cultures are thrashing around like clothes in the drying machine.  I came home from a few days in San Francisco (wedding matters) to find that some Right Wing Nut has gotten a proposal on the ballot in that state to split it into three states — Northern, Central, and Southern California (clearly, as a way of blunting the power of liberal San Francisco to control their delegates to the Electoral College and Congress; there is no bottom to the depths of reactionary sliminess and dirty pool, IMO).  Fer instance . . .

In a way, Capaldi’s Doctor stood up for age as opposed to youth in our hero — speaking of depths, of character this time.  Now Whittaker; and no one knows what’s next, but I am for damn sure not making any predictions!  Except that all hell’s gonna break loose among various portions of fandom every week while her first season is on.  Hot time in the old town tonight, I think.

But I gotta say, I don’t care for Kris Marshal in general.  He’s just to goofy and clownish for me, at least from what I’ve seen — a lightweight, in my no doubt blinkered estimation.  But it’s okay; we have Jodi Whittaker instead, whom I’ve thought rather narrow in range, but that could be because I don’t think I’ve seen her in anything but Broadchurch, so I’m ready to be educated.

But not ready to let PC go.  That guy is still my Doctor.  Maybe for good.

Viewing 11 posts - 101 through 111 (of 111 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.