S33 (7) 10 – Hide

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 10 – Hide

This topic contains 455 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@ardaraith — I like the idea of Time Lord names being mathematical formulae. Like that a lot. Although he was referred to as Theta Sigma in The Armageddon Factor, I think that was explained as some kind of designation assigned to students at the Academy rather than an actual name as such….

ardaraith @ardaraith

an addendum to my own rambling:

First, I admit to being woefully ignorant of Classic Who lore.  I have gone back and watched several of the stories, and all of season 26. But thinking of the Doctor’s name as a formula has me pondering….  I normally expect the Doctor to behave in a human way.  In a sense, I have anthropomorphised him.  Gallifreyan culture and world view must be very different from our own.  In human fairy and folk tales, names are often ‘function’ based.  As has been discussed here on another board, there is a fun mingling of science and magic on Doctor Who.  As a social scientist, I find the ‘hard’ sciences moving ever closer to magic in their discoveries!  If the Doctor’s name is functional, perhaps his chosen moniker — The Doctor — describes the function, somewhat:  a formula that heals.

Lula @lula

Kind of off topic, but y’all are definitely the ones to be asking–does River have two hearts?  I know it’s never been discussed on the show, and I’ve always assumed she has only one, due to human parents.  My daughter was watching LKH on my laptop last night and the camera briefly shows her scan next to her hospital bed.  It’s very quick, but I rewound and took a screencap of it–and it very much looks like the scan of someone with two hearts.  My husband is a physician, so I asked his opinion.  His sarcastic response was, “I can’t really diagnose or speculate on a fictional character, no matter how much I dig her.  But yeah, that looks like a crappy photo of a scan of two hearts.  That’s why the Doctor is so into her–it’s not the hair or the sass, it’s her hearts.”  Bless.

I have no idea how to embed the photo here, so if someone can tell me, I’d be happy to post this crappy screenshot for all to see.  Because really…I’m now flummoxed.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@lula – OH!!! yes, please post it here!  Unless @craig, or someone else has another suggestion, I recommend uploading it somewhere (I use google picasa) you can retrieve a URL for it, then link the image here (under the ‘text’ tab).

Lula @lula

Probably did this wrong (I am techno-inferior, admittedly), but here’s a link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/110522502525263144358/albums/5870800260078494353/5870800259318982546?banner=pwa&authkey=CKDl1eaopfq3Ww

Like I mentioned–tiny photo, and it’s taken from Netflx, so the quality isn’t spectacular.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@lula – there are defo two hearts!!!! What are the implications? River Song – a full on Time Lord!?

Lula @lula

@ardaraith  My two biggest questions are HOW? And why aren’t Rory and Amy all over her scans?  Any parent with a child in the hospital (regardless of circumstances, regardless of child’s age, regardless of whether they raised said child or not, etc.) is going to have one eye on their kid, the other on the kid’s medical scans–especially if the scan is clearly on display!

But again…HOW?  I feel like Moffat is trolling us big time, and to be honest, I’ve seen LKH at least half a dozen times and last night was the first I’d noticed this bit of information.

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@ardaraith @phaseshift – Greek letters inexplicably crop up a lot with Timelords: the docs nickname was Theta Sigma, he graduated with a Double Gamma, one of the founders of Gallifrey is called Omega. Curiously Underworld (which tells the story of the fate of the Timelords wards, the Minyans) is rife with Greek mythology references. Not sure what to do with all of that other than say that there’s a precedent for Greek getting in there somewhere.

Personally I don’t think we’re going to get either his name or anything other than more tantalising hints about his origins that ask more questions than they answer.

What I think we will get in terms of “secrets” will all be within the scope of Nu-Who – i.e. things he had to do of questionable morality during the Time-War, or maybe even over the last few series off-camera while travelling on his own.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@haveyoufedthefish

I think you have meant @jimthefish, rather than me on that last one.

Yes though, Theta Sigma was his academy nickname. River seemed to know this as her message to him at the start of Pandorica Opens (carved in the mountain) are the characters for theta sigma with a number of other greek symbols after a space (presumably co-ordinates).

@phaseshift @jimthefish @ardaraith – right you are sir, my apologies. Have you ever considered adopting PhaseFish as an honorary title 😀 ?

I really like the idea that Theta Sigma is a schoolboy pun on his real name which was some much more complex expression. Like if someone were called E=MC2 and ends up with the nickname CeeCee.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@phaseshift @jimthefish @haveyoufedthefish – pardon me while I… nerd out for a second.

Θθ (theta)
    Θ represents:
    an asymptotically tight bound related to big O notation.
    sensitivity to the passage of time in mathematical finance
    Θ (set theory), a certain ordinal number

θ represents:
    a plane angle in geometry
    the angle to the x axis in the xy-plane in spherical or cylindrical coordinates (mathematics)
    the angle to the z axis in spherical coordinates (physics)
    potential temperature in thermodynamics
    the mean time between failure in reliability engineering
    soil water contents in soil science
    Debye temperature
    theta functions
    sometimes also ϑ (“script theta”), cursive form of theta, often used in handwriting
    the first Chebyshev function in number theory

Σσ (sigma)
    Σ represents:
    the summation operator
    the covariance matrix
    the set of terminal symbols in a formal grammar

σ represents:
    Stefan–Boltzmann constant in blackbody radiation
    the divisor function in number theory
    the real part of the complex variable s = σ + i t in analytic number theory
    the sign of a permutation in the theory of finite groups
    the population standard deviation, a measure of spread in probability and statistics
    a type of covalent bond in chemistry (sigma bond)
    the selection operator in relational algebra
    stress in mechanics
    electrical conductivity
    area density
    nuclear cross section
    uncertainty
    utilization in operations management
    surface charge density for microparticles

hmm, actually some of those properties are jumping out at me

@ardaraith – and of course don’t forget the subject of my doctoral thesis – the Theta Trouser Uncertainty co-efficient, which is laymans terms is an attempt to define the exact ratio between trouser length and inside leg, where the trouser is not quite short enough that you will definitely get rid of the trousers, but not quite long enough such that when you wear them, you’re not entirely, 100% confident that you don’t look just a little bit of a prat*

*with acknowledgement to Doctor Max Wall and Professor T Cooper who did much of the seminal work in the trouser area **

**In retrospect, that last sentence didn’t quite come out the way I planned.

ardaraith @ardaraith
    Whisht @whisht

@haveyoufedthefish – look, you’re getting silly.

next you’ll be saying that Clara’s deaths are all the fault of the Cartman Masterplan.

“oh my god – they killed Clara!”

ardaraith @ardaraith

Have any of you seen the new clip they released for JttCotT ? I think the Dark Doctor fish will be pleased….

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@lula and @ardaraith OOOOh I just love the River’s heart monitor spot!

I have had a timey wimey theory for a while that the Doctor is the origin-point of the Time Lords, by exposing Melody-in-utero to the Time Vortex. So the “last of the Time Lords” begats the first of them in a Moffish paradox loop…

Yes Dark Doctor-Fish (LOL) is mightily tickled by that clip @ardaraith I can’t wait to see Smithy’s dark-side antics up the ante!

thommck @thommck

@whohar Also, the Master knows that “The Doctor” is a title, from which I infer he knows / may know the Doc’s true name.”

I think it was in human nature (defo a Tennant ep) where you see a flashback to when the doctor was a child at school.

He says something like everyone chose a name when they graduated, he picked the Doctor. So presumably 100s of timelords know his name so it can’t be anything that special, unless he made it special after he wiped them all out.

I may be completely mixed up in this so clara-fication would be appreciated

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Also, the Master knows that “The Doctor” is a title, from which I infer he knows / may know the Doc’s true name

Or he may not – though admittedly The End of Time reveals they’ve known each other from childhood. It’s something we don’t know about Time Lord society; are they a culture that has ‘use-names’ and ‘true-names’? The way they cheerfully accept various weirdos calling themselves The [insert something exciting sounding here] suggests that all the TL names we’ve heard may in fact be ‘use-names’.

Ursula Le Guin used this idea in her Earthsea series: she had children being given childhood names until they were old enough to understand how very important a true-name was. It was also normal to for people to change their ‘use-name’ on reaching adulthood.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@bluesqueakpip – oh you’re a Le Guin fan. She’s wonderful, and indeed it would seem “light is the left hand of darkness” in our present mirror universes Doctor story.

@juniperfish – ingenious! Maybe that’s the paradox that caused the crack around Amy, and it gives a get out clause for the “docs mum was human howler” … What he meant was the Mother of all time lords is human.

The logical conclusion is that Clara is their daughter and for reasons best known to herself, river hid her from the doctor until she was an adult, then nudged her towards her estranged father by posing as a IT advisor in a shop, i.e. in the usual way.

It fits the “she’s adopted” and the “tardis doesn’t like the paradox” theories. And it’s a thankfully completely normal way to raise a child so no worries there.(to be fair,it makes sense river hides the child so the doc is not tempted to take her on some crazy adventure till she’s grown up)

It might even pave a way to bring the timelords back – she’s the only person to outrank spittle ejecting, big collared nut job, Rassilon, and thus can talk them down.

And it gives then daleks one last way to win the time war – by killing Clara before she gets down to begating a civilisation.

Clara would bear the time sensitives who went on to be the first time travellers in the Caramel Masterplan (the most delicious of the Time Lord origin stories)? Possibly she is Pythia?

I thinks I likes it! It still leaves multiple claras to be explained though, and we don’t have any evidence yet that she has TL physiology, despite some people giving it a lot of intense study.

@whisht – Arf!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@juniperfish and @haveyoufedthefish. Yes! A theory to explain why Clara is the daughter of River and the Doctor! Excellent!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@blenkinsopthebrave @haveyoufedthefish

Yes – it would mean that River is Gallifrey’s Mitochondrial Eve and the Doctor’s TARDIS is the Ur TARDIS. So the Big Bang explosion of the last TARDIS created the Time Lords. It’s pretty nifty 🙂

ardaraith @ardaraith

I am more inclined to see Clara as a version of River, or … I don’t know. I just can’t imagine they would have included the big kiss in Snowmen if it was a familial relationship. What I can imagine; however, is Professor Song finding a timey wimey way to regenerate.

@ardaraith. Remember the subtitle of this blog: Theories even more insane than what’s actually happening. And this theory is both insane AND inspired. And brilliant to boot.

WhoHar @whohar

@juniperfish

Liking this idea that Amy is the mother of all Time Lords – ties up a lot of loose ends which was my main hope for this series, resulting in the 50th Anniversary being a new beginning. A regeneration if you will, but of Doctor Who the television show.

On a related note, what if the multi-Tardii collision knocked Doc 11’s Tardis off course and he ended up in little Amelia’s garden thereby precipitating the events that lead up to the multi-Tardii collision which mean Doc 11 is knocked off course….It would be a typical piece of wibbly -wobbly, timey-wimey, er Moffaty-Woffaty-ness.

Also @SomeoneUpstreamAndI’mBuggeredIfI’mGoingToTrawlThroughAllThat.

Well.done on the River two-hearts spot. But, since she gave the Doc the last of her regeneration energy in LKH, does that mean one has now stopped?

@whohar. It was the wonderful @lula who posted the photo. I am liking this insane theory more and more. It seems…so…Moffat!

@TooManyPeopleToMentionThemAll – whatever Clara is – daughter, future Doctor, repository of memories – she’s a mirror image of the Doctor. Look at the posters. In over half the posters, she’s placed as the Doctor’s mirror. She’s a reflection of the Doctor; young to his old, uninterested in history to his bowed down by history, all future to his all past – and finally, female to his male. Oh, and they’re both alien to each other.

I don’t actually feel worried about the big kiss @ardaraith; I feel fairly confident that if she is the Doctor’s daughter it will be promptly laughed off with a moment of comic horror. And it would deal in a child-friendly way with one of the very real dangers of ‘blind’ adoptions – that you can later mistake a ‘familial attraction’ as ‘romantic attraction’.

The Doctor and Clara are both developing love for each other (because they’re father and daughter) and because they don’t yet know they’re father and daughter, they’re assuming they’re just ‘in’ love with the other person. Like Amy wanting to leap into bed with her future son-in-law (still astonished they got that past the BBC execs), it’s later going to be one of those embarrassing things – where fortunately, nothing happened beyond a snog.

Because the Eleventh finds sex embarrassing. As Madame Vastra says:

I know how you blush.

indeed it would seem “light is the left hand of darkness”

And darkness the right hand of light. Yes. I wonder if – if Moffat’s using a few of LeGuin’s ideas – the Doctor can only defeat the dark side of himself by facing it and calling it by its true name. That is, his own true name.

Or, is he increasingly identifying the dark side of himself with his true name, and his light side with the name of ‘The Doctor’?

ScaryB @scaryb

You blink and this while board explodes, LOL.

Lots of great new stuff. Love the idea of the Dr being the origin of all the Time Lords (caused by the Big Bang of his (3?) Tardis(es) exploding!) -would you Adam and Eve it!

@bluesqueakpip Completely agree re Clara and Dr being positioned as mirror images (or blue/red images) of each other. Maybe Clara is a future incarnation of the Dr come back to save him from his dark self. (That way they get to trial run a female doctor without fully committing yet).

I don’t think we know that this Dr is embarrassed by sex, just sex with humans. It must be like your favourite puppy humping your leg!

The Doctor’s name – lots of instances from way back of the concept of “true names” having a power. See  @juniperfish‘s detailed posts re Isis myths, fairy stories (eg Rumplestiltskin), Ursula le Guin etc etc  But my fave is still that they subvert it and his name is The Doctor.

As a password it could be typed in, doesn’t need to be said. Then they could still hide it. Or maybe it’s not that he’s forgotten his name but that he hasn’t been given it yet.  But I also like that he needs to face his dark self – that would tie in with Hide, and his 2 ways of dealing with the “monster” in the pocket universe.

Maybe Clara is a future incarnation of the Dr come back to save him from his dark self.

@scaryb Given that people are still insisting that the references to the Corsair don’t necessarily mean the Doctor can be a woman, it would be nice to have it definitely, incontrovertibly, in-canon established that the Doctor can be ‘she’ instead of ‘he’.

I really like all the insane theories about the Doctor and River being Adam and Eve to the Time Lords. The one thing that I don’t like about it is that if you make the Doctor his own grandpa then you’re still looking at the past and Moffat, I seem to remember, has said:

“We can’t make this all about looking backwards. It’s actually got to be the start of a new story.”

So I’d take that theory and say ‘it’s about the Oubourous circle.’ They aren’t the Adam and Eve to the Classic Time Lords, they’re the Adam and Eve to the Nu-Time-Lords. 🙂

The Doctor is both dark and light, both last and first. Last of the Time Lords and First of the … whatever they’ll call them.

@haveyoufedthefish, it would make perfect sense that River would be desperate to hide Clara. She herself was kidnapped because she was a human Time Lord. For her baby to have a chance of a normal upbringing, she’d need to be adopted far away from any hint that she was ‘special’. Otherwise the Madame Kovarians of this world wouldn’t see a baby, they’d see an exciting opportunity. Clara, for her own safety, has to look like a completely ordinary girl.

I don’t think we know that this Dr is embarrassed by sex, just sex with humans.

A friend of mine once pointed out that the Doctor’s attitude to sex with River changed noticeably – after the marriage ceremony.

So, introducing another bonkers thought to the mix (yes, I have a day off today) – going with the constant ‘breaking glass’ images and combining Clara-is-the-programme with ‘about to break the fourth wall’:

Suppose the ‘fourth wall’ is about to be broken? The Doctor’s about to find out (has found out) that he’s a character in a popular family television series? That all the angst and drama of his life (up to and including the genocide of his own people) is down to a bunch of over-caffeinated writers on a deadline – and the need to please equally over-excited four year olds? That the dimension he’s living in is in fact a ‘Land of Fiction’?

That’d be enough to send anyone to the Dark Side.  🙂

WhoHar @whohar

I’m wondering who wrote the book that features in the next ep. I would have thought only a limited no. of beings would have the requisite knowledge to compile said.tome

@whohar – either the Doctor or a Dalek, and I don’t think Daleks are really into writing books.

Another example of the Doctor being too locked-onto his past?

ScaryB @scaryb

Re who wrote the book – only other entity which could is the Tardis! Maybe she creates the texts of all the Doctor’s stories and preserves them in the Libary (Clara being the personification of one which has escaped (eg books/people in Farenheit 451)). Previous examples of the power of books in Angels in Manhattan. And the oblique ref (Summer Falls) in BoSJ.  There again her sense of past/present/future is not so great so it may be unreadable! Love the Land of Fiction call… haha that could telescope on indefinitely (in classic sci fi mode).

Or did it all start when the Dr actually didn’t reject the offer of the job (the Mind Robber) and has been writing his own stories ever since? (Cue scene in very centre of the Tardis – a tiny, dark, Victorian style study, with a hunched little figure spotlit (in blue!), writing at a desk, surrounded by mountains of paper, muttering about deadlines and daleks.

PS his name is on the frontispiece of the Book….?

Looking at the image again from the ‘Clara is a future Doctor’ point of view:

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

It strikes me that – if the image is folded round the crack, then yes – as someone up above whose name I can’t find, sorry, said – Clara and the Doctor are staring rather suspiciously at each other.

What it reminds me of is another Moffat Episode: A Christmas Carol, where we all think Old Kazran is going to be shown his Future. But in fact, it’s Young Kazran who’s being shown his future, so he can change it. It’s a mirror image: we never saw Young Kazran, but he was there all along.

So, turn it around. What if this whole series of episodes isn’t about the Old Doctor being shown/remembering his past?  What if this is the Young Doctor learning about her past?

Final note: if we think of the two images as Old Doctor and Young Doctor, the smaller images are Old Doctor downcast (weighed down by his past), Young Doctor looking back – but running. In the entire image, Clara is the only person doing what the Doctor normally does – run.

And now I’ve got an image of Clara-as-Doctor hammering on the door of the TARDIS and yelling “Yes! I’ve turned into a woman! Get over it!

WhoHar @whohar

@bluesqueakpip

Unlikely to be a Dalek I agree. If nothing else, having suckers makes it difficult to hold a pen. :-). Imagine their version of the book though: 950 pages of ‘Exterminate’, but ending with the word ‘Bug-ger’.

Other options are The Master or possibly River. Alternatively, it could have fallen out of the time lock at some point.

If there is a code needed to open the book, it will be interesting to see if Clara is the one to open it.

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

Verry Interresting.

Each side of the picture is also almost (not quite) a 90 deg rotation in the POV. (And strange composition with the Dr on left looking out of the frame)

So are you saying Clara is actually a very early (pre-Hartnell) version of the Doctor? ie he started life as a girl? That’s the big secret (they could find his birth certificate in the centre of the Tardis)? Oooh! I love it! <sounds of traditionalist fanboys whirling in their (future) graves ;-D >

PS One more hat to throw into the theory ring – if we’re looking for potential authors, how about the Shakri? <Gets excited about poss return of Stephen Berkoff; just need to fit in a Canton return and I’ll be in fangirl heaven>

ardaraith @ardaraith

@bluesqueakpip – After re-watching the Snowmen, I was inclined to believe, as others have expressed as well, that we are viewing the encounters with Clara out of order. Which makes your theory about the “Young Doctor learning about her past” very appealing! It could also help explain why it seems the Doctor has forgotten the GI, yes?

I’m still not a supporter of the ‘Clara as Daughter’ theory, but I concede its merits. My personal preference about their relationship aside, I do love the idea of new – NU – Time Lords…or whatever they might be! The image @lula grabbed confirming the dual hearts leaves all sorts of possibilities!

My question to those with more Who knowledge: could River have visited Gallifrey?

Well, it would make sense of all that Master/Doctor subtext that’s going on. 🙂

That would certainly be one way for Moffat to go all timey-wimey; Clara is the pre-Hartnell Doctor. But I think, when I’m saying Young Doctor, that I’m really thinking our Doctor has been reborn and that’s why Clara sometimes wears a phoenix necklace. She’s the reborn Doctor. The Doctor’s chosen to get rid of all this baggage and start again, but carefully created a situation where Clara could find out Who she is.

So she’s Young Doctor mentally; she’s not 1000+ years old, because she doesn’t have those memories (yet?). Currently she’s a 26 year old version of the Doctor. Very intelligent, wants to travel, more frightened than she lets on. Can’t pilot the TARDIS properly, but finds that exciting rather than scary (there was a distinct ‘woo-hoo!’ the second time into the pocket universe). And very, very young. Much younger in feel than you’d expect of a 26 year old human – because she’s really a Time Lord, and 26 years old for a Time Lord is a young kid, still in school.

could River have visited Gallifrey?

River was born after the Time Lords had been sealed behind the Time Lock -which happened in the ‘lost’ period between the failure of the TV movie (Eighth Doctor) and the Ninth Doctor’s return to Earth (Nu-Who).

So the only way she could ever visit Gallifrey is if the Time Lock is broken.

WhoHar @whohar

@bluesqueakpip
    If you post your Nu TL theory on the G blog, I think it would probably give some of the “Nu Who bad, Old Who great” crowd an anuerism. Obviously that’s a good enough reason to do it.

thommck @thommck

Well if Clara is a young Doctor that may explain the kissing bit. He seems like the kind of person that would want to give himself a snog 😛

WhoHar @whohar

@thommck

If they are brother and sister as per my completely forgotten ( 🙁 ) bonkers theory, then it makes the Doc and Clara a bit Luke and Leia.

Oh, and bonkers addition: how about – when the Doctor plans the ‘trap’ for himself, he creates Dalek Clara as a computer download into an insane Dalek and Victorian Clara is run as a Ganger? Rather than her being genuinely split in time?

Or is that explanation too sane? 🙂

@whohar – I don’t think they’ll do brother and sister again for a bit, because they did it with 10.5 and Doctor-Donna.

WhoHar @whohar

@bluesqueakpip

But this would be actual brother-sister. I’ve zero evidence for this apart from the way the Doc and Clara interacted (at least initially). It was all snappy comebacks and attempts at oneupmanship.
    Probably won’t happen but you can bet I’ll pounce on any vague notion of a hint that supports it 🙂

@bluesqueakpip – good point, had forgotten about Madam etc. But I also do kind like the idea of River hiding the sprogs from the Doctor, just because he’s such an irresponsible so-and-so; “just taking her in her stroller for a walk around the Eye of Orion … Oh look, its been invaded by cybermen … Here, cyberleader, just hold this nappy a sec while I get my sonic screwdriver out, there’s a good chap …”

etc

@bluesqueakpip – One facet of Clara=”Pheonix Doctor” I really like is that it looks like (from the next ep trailers) idealistic Clara is about to be horrified by what she discovers she was/will become (though it works almost as well his daughter too).

Distinct parallels with Christmas Carol, that …

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 456 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.