The Rose & Crown

Home Forums General The Rose & Crown

This topic contains 990 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

I’m quite happy to change the name of the pub. So far there have been 3 suggestions, I think (let me know if I missed any):

The Slaughtered Sontaran
    The Slaughtered Zarbi
    The Baker’s Scarf

@whisht I don’t want to just call it The Pub, or Down The Pub as I’d like to keep it a bit more intimate, personal etc.

Here are some more random thoughts, none of which I think are great 😀

The Doctor and Box
    The Doctor and TARDIS
    The Companion and Peril
    The Cyberman and Gold
    The Dalek and Rose

I have a silly favourite though… Where I grew up was where Mary Queen of Scots was born. And all her servants/hand-maidens (being Catholic) were also called Mary. There is a pub just down the hill from the Palace (where she was born) called The Four Marys (after them all). So I’m kinda keen on

The Billion Claras

😀

Anonymous @

@craig – how ’bout ‘The Claricle’ ?  🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig

LOL at the 4 Marys (Dr’s influence leaks into real life again…?! (Or have you just been overdosing on back issues of the Bunty?!)

My personal faves are Rose and Crown with maybe occasional forays to Glasgow’s pocket universe of the Slaughtered Sontaran for the wilder weekends.

(Now, if you just had a poll app in place, this would be easy 😈

Nice place here, though the landlord doesn’ t half go on a bit 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

<cries quietly into beer>

*sniff*

It’s Saturday. It’s 181 days till 23 Nov :cries:

(+8 hours, 45 mins, 20 secs!)

Whisht @whisht

Ah I’d stick with the Rose & Crown,

But I’ll have 4 Bloody Marys please.

😉

chickenelly @chickenelly

I’d stick with the Rose & Crown too, because:

a) It’s canon

b) You’ve already got a picture of the sign

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craig – I’d stick with the Rose and Crown. I think, to date, it’s the only named pub where one of Team Tardis has actually worked.

Whisht @whisht

also, I’m an ignoramus (great word, terrible fella) but whatever i did to make @scaryb spluter I apologise.

and I didn’t touch her, honest.

I was all the way across the bar at the time.

:¬)

Whisht @whisht

“where no-one knows, your name…”

[burm dahm dahm-dahmm]

where-err no-one kno-wws you’re naayayme”

[burm dahm dahm-dahmm]

Tournikate @tournikate

I don’t know if it counts as pub talk but I just watched the new star trek movie. Holy smokes it was fantastic. Tons of action and if I am not mistaken our friend ‘Mickey’ made an appearance…although I will have to double check that 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht

Dr Who Cheers… calling “Time gentlemen please” at the end, and as you said “where nobody knows your name…”

(Clara/Carla.. “Wouldn’t you like to get away…”)

😀

Whisht @whisht

he he @scaryb

as I say, it practically writes itself….

and Clara as Carla??!?? makes me think…:

Sam – Peter Davison
    Diane – Romana II
    Frasier – The Master
    Lilith – Madame Vastra
    Coach – an older Tom Baker

any thoughts on these two?
    Norm –
    Cliff –

Though I’m sure this works:
    Woody – Strax

;¬)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@craig I like “The Rose and Crown” <buys a quick fishy round and back-flips out of the saloon doors>

ScaryB @scaryb

@juniperfish Cheers!

And on that subject – @whisht

Sam – Matt Smith (old/young, bit of a babe-magnet)
    Diane – Romana II – perfect
    Frasier – Pertwee (a bit vain, seemingly establishment but a would-be rebel under the surface)
    Lilith – Madame Vastra – perfect
    Coach – Hartnell (messes up his lines and gets confused)

any thoughts on these two?
    Norm – Troughton (great guy to meet in the pub)
    Cliff –the Master (under cover but still can’t resist showing off)

Woody – Strax – yup, like that

🙂

Lilith – Madame Vastra

Kovarian more like!

Name suggestion:

The Executed Troll

Or, of course, The Truculent Sheep *dives for cover*

Anonymous @

@pedant – ‘The Exterminated Troll’

🙂

Anonymous @

awww, I do love Strax as Woody, but isn’t there casting couch room for Rory?

Perhaps as one of the background people, forever asking for another round from a Carla (Amy) who pays him no attention at all?

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant – Ah but Lilith was a big softie underneath. (And well may you run for cover, Haha)

@Shazzbot – thought about Rory but maybe just a bit too nice for Woody

@Shazzbot

‘The Exterminated Troll’

Ha! Of course!

ardaraith @ardaraith

We have The Rose & Crown !!! bottle of cider please, with a glass of ice.  thank you  🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@ardaraith Nice bow tie Ms A!!!!

Anonymous @

@ardaraith – where did you go on holiday?

PS and I’m with ScaryB, nice bowtie!  But once @juniperfish sees it, you’ll have to ‘splain why you chose red and not blue … 🙂

Whisht @whisht

Ok, I won’t flog the dead horse (hm, another bar… “The Dead Horse”..) anyway, I realise that I can’t even cast my own bad jokes!

Frasier – The Master
    Lilith – The Rani

How did I miss that?? Of course we’ll need to find room for Vastra as Rebecca(?) or as a patron who’s going out with the girl in the kitchen (and the only person who doesn’t realise is Woody/Strax).

Now, will put this to bed, as I had an “Alan Moore moment” when I realised that the US would cast Russell Brand as The Landlord.

{shudders}

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot– oh I have. (To prove it I’ll tell you a surprisingly clean story on the subject:

(I just meant, if you were holding back because this is a ‘family’ site, well, we have a pub now!)

when I was working in a pub, a male customer came in, walking rather… carefully, looking very shaken. He ordered a pint, drank half of it then told us he had just had a ‘Prince Albert’, and now he had to go to the gents for the first time since- he’d been putting it off. Away he shuffled, looking very apprehensive.

The lights for the toilets was located behind the bar. 😉

Poor bloke, when he finally came out told us that he’d thought he was actually passing out when the lights started flickering….

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick (flickering lights!!!) @shazzbot @bluesqueakpip

oops – just googled (can never resist a “Don’t…” instruction 😉 )

😯

Drink please!

Anonymous @

@miapatrick – oooh, you are mean.  😉   @scaryb – did the drink help wash away those mental images?  😀

@ everyone – if you don’t know about The Unbelievable Truth, give it a listen:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sd7fg/The_Unbelievable_Truth_Series_11_Episode_6/
    (start listening at 2:40 to avoid the announcer’s blather)

Some gems we learn in this episode are about Japanese brand names which did not translate well for the foreign market (these are all completely true, btw):

1) a grass fertiliser called ‘Green Piles’

2) a soft drink called ‘Myu-kos’

3) a baby cleanser called ‘Skin-a-Baby’

4) some paper tissues called ‘Last Climax’

5) a beef jerkey called ‘Homo-Sausage’

Miapatrick @miapatrick

I’d stick with The Rose & Crown, but remembering the hysterical knee-jerking over certain characters and plots one encounters from time to time on the internet (Not so much on the Guardian thread, thankfully) how about ‘The Gay Agenda’? (c) my sister in the RTD years.

(Just for context, my sister pictured here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/05/gay-marriage-vote-cameron-adrift

Anonymous @

Hey @miapatrick – which one’s your sis?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot– the blond one. (Elizabeth) 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick @shazzbot

Good on yer sis MiaP – how did she get in the pic – was it set up beforehand or was she was just in the right spot?

The Gay Agenda (LOL) reminded me that the first time I saw John Hurt acting in anything was the Naked Civil Servant. He was amazing in it. Hard to get your head round just how groundbreaking it was in 1975, especially for a  straight actor. On googling it I discovered it was produced by one Verity Lambert 😀

And it also reminded me of just what an amazing CV Mr Hurt has – one of my favourite actors and many of my favourite films.  Plus 3 new films which are due out next year.  Must be that Time Lordy thing – he’s 73 FFS!

And he’s in Dr Who in November… squeeee 😀

Maybe it was the Caligula incarnation the Smith’s Dr found a bit difficult :mrgreen:

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb– I’m not sure. There are some other pictures where she’s kneeling to pop the question. Personally I think it was pre-arranged to save money on an announcement 🙂 (they’ve already done a Civil partnership and a hand-fastening, so I can’t blame them for saving a bit of money!)

It’s fun, as well, after all the complaints about how young Doctor who actors have been since the re-boot, (unfair I think, Eccles isn’t that young, and didn’t Smith get it despite his age?) to get, I think, the oldest actor for the role. (Not that I think Hurt will be Smiths replacement.) Fantastic casting and a brilliant challenge for Matt Smith. (One I expect he’ll relish).

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick

Re young Dr Whos – I think you’re right, they were reportedly looking for someone 40ish post Tennant (just to shake it up a bit)… then Matt came along! (which is possibly why when we first meet River she suggests that her Dr was older). Some folk (esp in the media) will snipe at Dr who just cos they can, and they know it’ll get a reaction. Pah!

Agree, I think Hurt Dr’s story will be told in full (that’ll be a first, LOL) in the 50th.

Drink? Not sure how long the bar stays open on a Mon 🙂

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb– this is around the time I tend to start drinking shots of tabasco for a bet! (frankly, more pleasant than tequila. Margarita’s excepted. Mmmm, Margarita!)

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick Margeritas… mmm, great idea. Cheers

Anonymous @

I love Yorkshire people, we’ve got the best sense of humour …

Regarding the deplorable ‘rate your shag’ uni FB pages, the Univ of York created this:

http://www.nouse.co.uk/2013/05/28/facebook-group-shows-york-students-like-a-different-sort-of-shag/

Sadly, it was taken down by FB along with the nasty ones.  {sigh}

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot– that is a brilliant response to a horrible  thing (the original page).

you Yorkshiremen (that’s men in the unisex sense) have a great sense of humour. And ferrets!  I love ferrets, me. I was at a country show the other year and there was ferret racing. You got to place bets and everything…

Anonymous @

@miapatrick – don’t get me started on ferrets!  My dogs (Airedale Terriers, i.e., hunters extraordinaire) caused their previous vet to say ‘erm, they have an overdeveloped prey instinct…’

It dates back to an ‘Open Day’ at that vet, and my dogs and I had done the tour of the hydrotherapy unit.  We exited, and my dogs (on lead) pretty much pulled my arm out of its socket — because just outside the hydro room door was the ‘ferret racing’ area.  Adults and children were screaming as my girl caught one of the ferrets.  I probably was screaming, too, because I know my girl and she wastes no time in getting a neck-CRICK and it’s all over.   I managed to yank her back with all the strength I possessed, and then her brother broke free of his rein and leapt onto the ferret.  Cue more hysterical screaming from everyone in the vicinity.

Long story short, we were on the vet’s premises so the ferret immediately went into emergency surgery.  Remarkably, there was no physical damage – the vet’s diagnosis was ‘severe shock and trauma but nothing life-threatening’.  Needless to say, my dogs left London with a ‘ferret-killer’ rap on their heads even though no ferret actually died!

And now we’re in Yorkshire where we haven’t yet seen a ferret in the flesh so to speak.  🙂  But the neighbour’s pet bunny … {sigh} … it’s still a mystery what happened …  (I’m not being glib, we really don’t know what happened.  All fingers are pointing to my boy but without CCTV footage, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.)

Whisht @whisht

blimey! @Shazzbot has just turned all Sopranos!

“Hey, Donnie – yu don’ wonna get unlucky bro’.
    Y’know, my boyzs can get awful over-protecdive – and dat ain’t nice.

y’know whad I mean?”

Shazzbot, from now on, whatever bonkerserizing you’re saying, is alright by me

:¬ –

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot– unfortunately to us dog lovers, dogs are basically furry toddlers spliced with wild wolf.

Admittedly we rescue dogs with health/emotional problems, so probably see the worst of this, behaviour wise. But I will say this about our Norfolk Terrier (like a black and tan Yorkshire terrier, only with a womble like face), she genuinely seems to want to play with the ducks she runs towards, but show her a Rottweiler, Mastiff etc, she’s up on her tippie-claws biting their noses. (In her defence, while he was still able to work, my boyfriend used her at the dogs home to see if big dogs were dog aggressive, so she was kind of trained to do that in controlled conditions.)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Well I know its early but need a quick drink. Just got into a row in Morrison’s carpark when I went to pick up my paper. There was a car with two dogs in. The owner had left the windows partly open, and left water, but the water was gone and the dogs were getting very hot. So I found a Morrison’s employee to ask them to put an announcement over the tannoy to let the owners know, because when he was able to work, my boyfriend worked in a pet crematorium, and he had lot of dogs in summer who died in the car, even with the windows partly open and water left for them. A family sitting in the car next to us started shouting at us to ‘get a life’ and ‘mind our own business’. We weren’t attacking the owners of the dogs, just wanted to let them know.

Mmmm, pint. That’s better.

@miapatrick – you were quite right; people genuinely don’t realise just how hot it can get in a car – especially if there’s no breeze to go through those open windows. It’s not just the dogs; small children have also died.

My suggestion for the people in the next door would be to lock them in their car for two hours, from midday, with a small cup of water. And then see how they felt. 😈

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@bluesqueakpip– Wonderful suggestion, if only… ‘Mind your own business’ indeed. Horrible people. We had to drive off in the end because they were getting out of the car and my boyfriend was getting ready to hit them with his crutches…

@miapatrick – horrible people indeed.

There is nothing wrong with a tannoy announcement saying ‘can the owner of car xyz please return to your car to check your pets as they appear to be becoming distressed.’ I’d certainly like someone to tell me.

It’s not as if you can’t leave your half-finished shopping with one of the Morrison’s people while you check them out.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@bluesqueakpip– they were even saying, along with calling us weirdos, ‘why don’t you call the RSCPA then?’ I wasn’t sure of their logic. We said we weren’t calling the RSCPA because it wasn’t a cruelty case. Last time we did contact the RSPCA two people ended up going to jail for two months. (That was terrible case.)

(What I should have said, looking right at the people, was that we weren’t calling the RSPCA because there are some dumb animals the RSPCA just won’t deal with and I’m looking at a group of them. 😉

hallucigeniclipstick @hallucigeniclipstick

Shazzbot, there is a pet ferret that regularly gets walked on a lead round my way, mind this is West Riding  ‘appen it’s a local thing

Miapatrick @miapatrick

and then I log into facebook at find this, which along with @bluesqueakpip‘s comments, makes me feel vindicated!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151903978833047&set=a.76251508046.102003.7231383046&type=1&theater

I finally got to watch Broadchurch – yes, I know. But sometimes my life is such that I can only squeeze one TV programme into it, and for the past couple of months it’s been that one with a blue box. But this weekend I had two days off where I actually didn’t have any work to do – so I sat down and ended up watching the entire series over the two days.

Um… wow. Really, really wow. I was very impressed with Chris Chibnall’s United, but that was better – and fully sustained over what, 330 minutes? (Though probably best to avoid spoilers on the identity of the murderer, lest we feel the wrath of @blenkinsopthebrave). 

Amazing work, both the writing and the acting; really, genuinely painful to watch in parts.  But in a way that felt like it was painful because this is how it would be; this is how such a murder would impact on a small, close community. And in the midst of all the pain, some people discovering that they were stronger than they knew – and could show others a way forward.

I think the DVD has now gone on my Christmas list.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — I know, it was excellent. And such a surprise from Chibnall if, like me, you’d only really been familiar with his work on Who and Torchwood.

Full of Who alumni as well. I kept expecting to see a Sontaran in police uniform:

‘Take him down to the cells, PC Strax.’

‘Silence, boy.’

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 991 total)

The topic ‘The Rose & Crown’ is closed to new replies.