The Rose & Crown

Home Forums General The Rose & Crown

This topic contains 990 replies, has 68 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 991 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

@miapatrick Many congrats from me too. That is a simply superb result. You must be so pleased.

Timeloop @timeloop

@miapatrick Congrats! Well done and very impressive ๐Ÿ˜‰

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@JimTheFish- I did. They were however banana-toffee dodgers, which part of me finds deeply wrong- yet tasty.

@PhaseShift- again, I did. A couple is like a score, isn’t it? ๐Ÿ˜‰

@Craig- thank you, I am. And since @bluesqueakpip ‘s feedback was so useful, some of the credit also goes to you for creating this site.

@Timeloop- thank you. I have a bit of a smug face at the moment ๐Ÿ™‚ it will pass…

ScaryB @scaryb

@miapatrick – re missing the pub meetupย  – no worries – I believe it’s become “the annual pub meet-up” (in best DW Xmas special tradition ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Btw email as big a file of your avatar as you can to Craig if you want to send it to the pub in your absence! (It will be transmuted in a wibbly wobbly timey wimey way to a physical presence in the pub; I don’t guarantee it will work quite as well as Amy’s ganger though ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  )

Timeloop @timeloop

@miapatrick It shouldn’t! Try to keep it as long as possible ;D

wolfweed @wolfweed

Well done, @miapatrick – Have a Lemon Sherbet.

z

A couple of little bits for Armistice Day:

The Known Soldier (how many had your name?)

The Parapet (would you?)

Anonymous @

Those were lovely @pedant.ย  Thanks for sharing them with us.

Would I?ย  Stick my head over the parapet again?ย  That’s the ultimate question about Life, isn’t it?ย  We’ve all been hit painfully when exposing our inner selves.ย  Yet, we continue to do it – hope trumping experience, over and over.

This reminds me of something I posted before but fits so well with your ‘The Parapet’ story that it’s worth dusting it off again.ย  From the New York Times, I Know What You Think of Me.ย  Well worth reading all the way through, but the last sentence is key:

if we want the rewards of being loved we have to submit to the mortifying ordeal of being known.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip

does she [Rose] look as bonkers as a forum of Who theorists, you mean?

Ahh, now you’ve got me thinking of collective nouns. What is a group of Who enthusiasts?

A ‘bonkersness’ of Who enthusiasts?

A ‘bonkrocity’ of Who enthusiasts?

A ‘bonkritude’ of Who enthusiasts?

An ‘insanity’ of Who enthusiasts?ย  (why not?ย  see ‘murder of crows‘)ย  (and, ya gotta love a website with the name ‘crow.biz’ ๐Ÿ˜€ )

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@Shazzbot I believe the Sherlock fandom lays claim to the highest levels of drooling insanity. Emphasis on the drooling (over Messers Cumberbatch and Freeman).

So I think we’re just a ‘craziness of Who enthusiasts’. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh a related note to my earlier post, it is surprising how a simple tweak to the lyric changes a mildly bombastic patriotic hymn into a lovely poem to homeland:

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — Sherlockians are the original obsessive nutjobs, let’s face it. Whovians are often relative amateurs and newcomers compared to them, although they do share a lot in common. (And rather embarrassingly I seem to have to count myself as a member of both…)

@jimthefish – I hasten to add that the claim to the highest levels of insanity was made to me by a Sherlockian…

WhoHar @whohar

@Shazzbot

Should be The Asylum of the Whovians surely?

WhoHar @whohar

@Shazzbot

Having a bit of trouble with my avatar to send to you (?) / @craig to replace me – in absentia – at the celebrations. It goes all pixely when I try and increase the size…I may have to redraw it myself but goodnss knows what it will look like.

janetteB @janetteb

Congrat @miapatrick. That is an excellent result.

I will send my avatar. It is on my “to do list”.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave @janetteb @whohar @wolfweed @jimthefish @phaseshift

And @ everyone who wants to send their Avatar to the London pub meeting on 22nd, to represent them in their absence –

I’ve been experimenting with the avatars/photoshop and delighted to say life’s got a bit simpler.ย  I can work with the ones on here OK – no need to send higher res pics to @craig (unless you want to). You won’t be life size(!), but even the lowest res ones go up to at least 6 x 6cm OK.

Just let me, Craig or @Shazzbot know if you want to be represented this way. Deadline to be included – midnight – Tues 19 Nov (GMT)

Blenkinsop, JanetteB and Whohar – you are on the list, so no need to do anything else for now.

@whohar

The Asylum of the Whovians

Haha, nice one

How about a Raving of Whovians… or with certain fans it could be a Ravening of Whovians!

And we still have the standard of bonkersness definition – Bonkers as a bathful of fishes

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@scaryb Many thanks for the efforts on our avatars. Yes, a glass of claret-sized avatar sounds perfect!

@craig, @shazzbot, more than happy with what @scaryb has suggested. Only wish I could be there in person.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@whohar I managed to find a much higher res and non-blocky version of your avatar online. It was black and white but I’ve added the blue. Will send it to you and to @scaryb tonight.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly @thommck @osakahatter @timeloop @fatmaninabox

and @ others as per @scaryb‘s post 20556 above

Anyone who wants to be represented in absentia by their Avatar at the pub gathering (Fri 22nd), please confirm to me this week if you can, but no later than Monday 18 November mid-day GMT.ย  You can PM me or @ mention me in this thread.

We can work with the avatar images you’ve uploaded to this forum, but if you want a super di dooper hi res version please get it to @scaryb (via @craig‘s email on the Home Page) by midnight (GMT) Tues 19 Nov.

Final confirmation of attendees-in-person and attendees-by-avatar, along with a repeat of the pub details, will be announced next Monday.

Oooh … the excitement is building … it’s going to be a great night so anyone who can attend in person who hasn’t already confirmed to me, please do so ASAP!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@shazzbot. Just responding to your RSVP. Quite content to be represented by a less than super dooper low res version of my avatar. I think the warm and fuzzy look of the low res version will capture the mood of blenkinsop in his cups.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

I think the warm and fuzzy look of the low res version will capture the mood of blenkinsop in his cups.

I think the amount of alcohol planned on being consumed that night, means everyone’s avatar will look slightly low-res!ย  (tee hee hee)ย  But thanks for confirming, and @scaryb – FYI .

thommck @thommck

Thanks @shazzbot, sounds like it is going to be one heck of a night.
    I’ve sent my avatar to @craig as I unfortunately can’t make it to the pub. You can print it out and use it to represent my paper-thin theory logic ๐Ÿ˜‰

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot- would defiantly like to be there in avatar.

Mine is actually taken from a picture and went a bit weird (they look a little creepy, don’t they?) when I tried to upload it. So if @scaryb just uses that, that would be fine. It’s a lovely idea, and takes a little bit of the sting of not being able to attend in person away. ๐Ÿ™‚

ScaryB @scaryb

@blenkinsopthebrave – I am in complete agreement with you. Not to mention that you get to a stage in life where a degree of fuzziness in a photo is a definite plus, haha (which is where avatars are indispensible)

@miapatrick I have to admit your avatar has always had me stumped, beyond it looking like a slightly weird yorkie. (I love it, but it’s weird)

The avatars will look like they do on here, just bigger.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb It was a weird yorkie! here is a better picture http://www.toms-travels.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/22-08-10-024.jpg

I think the picture used for here was very like the one for my Guardian avatar, but it went a bit funny. I’ve learned to love it, and it is, at least, unique!

Anonymous @

@scaryb – I always thought @miapatrick‘s avatar was more like a very furry bat, with a monkey face, hanging upside down, with a rightside-up Stan Laurel in bowler hat in its beard.ย  But that’s just me … ๐Ÿ™‚

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Shazzbot- a theory even more insane than what was actually happening! You win, at least, this corner of the internet! ๐Ÿ˜‰

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@Shazzbot – cheers. Would love to be there in spirit via my avatar. Actually, would love to be there in spirits, but not to be!

my low res version will perfectly represent my low res observational ability so please use the one you have ๐Ÿ™‚

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

and @scaryb – thanks for sorting the avatars, much appreciated!

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

@Shazzbot @scaryb and others,

As I can’t attend the annual 50th anniversary Doctor Who booze-up, I have forwarded a higher res. image of my avatar to @craig for forwarding onwards. I hope that it doesn’t put anyone off their beer etc.

Have a good do.

Steve

BTW Is the collective noun for bonkers theories a FishPond?

ScaryB @scaryb

@osakahatter, @thommck @magnetite @steve-thorp – all avatars received safe and sound, thnx

@whohar you are completely unpixilated now ๐Ÿ™‚

@miapatrick I’ve no idea what you did when you were uploading, but it’s great. (And agree with you re bonkersness award for @Shazzbot ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

@Shazzbot – we could invent a new drinking game – and have a drink (could work our way round @phaseshift‘s specially concocted Doctor cocktails)ย  for each of our absent friends…! ::hic:: Xp

thommck @thommck

Spoilers @miapatrick! I always thought it was a hairy Slitheen falling backwards into a bottomless pit. Oh well, a Yorkie is probably scarier than a Slitheen anyway

Anonymous @

@scaryb

we could invent a new drinking game โ€“ and have a drink for each of our absent friends…!

Good lord, the list is at 11 already and the deadline isn’t until next week.ย  We’re not going to need cabs home, we’re going to need ambulances.ย  ๐Ÿ˜†

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

11 absentees, 11 drinks – that works – @phaseshift‘s got 11 cocktails so far and is working on a couple of others for spoilers and for the TARDIS. Perfect!

Er… you did say the pub was B&B didn’t you? ๐Ÿ˜†

Timeloop @timeloop

@Shazzbot I’d like for my avatar to be there as well. Might wanna take an aspirin before you go to bed ;D
    I think River deserves a cocktail as well. Something with champagne since she conjured it “disgracefully”.

Anonymous @

@scaryb – I’ve been trying to send a high-res version of my avatar to Craig but YahooMail just keeps hanging, a problem that’s been happening for a couple of weeks which, so far, I’ve been unable to fix ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

Do I remember correctly that you’re on Twitter? There is a ‘ScaryB’ but I don’t want to tweetย my picย if it’s not you ๐Ÿ™‚

@shazzbot – how many are physically attending? I’ll have a drink for each one of you ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous @

@scaryb – with @timeloop, we’re up to 12 –

Timeloop, think of something good to add to the champagne that would make it a ‘Louche Libation’ and you can add it to PhaseShift’s blog

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox – so far, there’s 13 of us attending in person (plus 2 Airedale Terriers).ย  Please don’t have 13 alcoholic drinks in a row (and please don’t drink your water from a bowl all nightย  ๐Ÿ™‚ย  ).

@scaryb – all right then, 13 avatars.ย  I think we need to book another table …ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop – sorry, meant to say, I saw your request earlier.ย  Got your avatar OK.

And yes, definitely need a cocktail for River –ย  champers is spot on. But agree with @Shazzbot it should have something else with it for a little extra glam, and some intrigue.

@fatmaninabox – no worries – the one on here is fineย  (You’re bigger than many ๐Ÿ˜‰ย  )ย  And not all ScaryBs are me – there’s a few of us out there haha, so best not tweet it – might give them a bit of a shock!ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS @phaseshift – How’s the Patented Hangover Cure recipe coming along??

Anonymous @

@Shazzbot

(and please donโ€™t drink your water from a bowl all night ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

Damn it! Sprayed my coffee everywhere. My monitor now resembles a Jackson Pollock painting ๐Ÿ˜€

Yeah, 13 drinks is a bit excessive, even by my standards, so I’ll just have 2 bottles of Hoegaarden in honour of the Airedales (not from a bowl though).

OI! Back onto the sofa you lot! This is supposed to be the off-topic forum!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Hi @scaryb

I don’t know when you’ll need the images for, but I could get you a higher res one at the weekend. If not a low res will represent me well. I look blurry in real life too. Many thanks for doing that.

Anonymous @

Oi!ย  @pedant!ย  We’re talking about a pub gathering … in the forum’s pub.ย  Seemed appropriate, somehow.ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

PS:ย  you tryin’ to take my Topic Dalek crown?ย  You can prise it from my cold, dead … erm, plunger.ย  ๐Ÿ˜†

WhoHar @whohar

@craig @scaryb

Thanks for my new unpixelated av. and very happy to be present in some form at least.

Of course I do expect the av. to be presented in a gold-leaf regency frame on a velvet backing.

As the evening wears on, Can I also suggest the hi-res version is replaced with the pixelated one, to represent the effects of alcohol. You can also add some drool much later on and then some Zzzzz’s.

janetteB @janetteb

And for those of us who are only attending in 2d, can there please, please be some pics so we can picture the event that we are attending in spirit.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Hi @janetteb – re pictures of the pub event –

You know, I hope, that @phaseshift has more-than-kindly volunteered to be a single point of reception of everyone’s goings-on over the 50th weekend (a week and a half away!ย  Oh my!).ย  @craig is going to create / has created an email address to which everyone can send details in text and in image of their own celebrations, and Phase will post them on his 50th blog.

We’ll have to sort picture-taking at the pub carefully, though.ย  Some people may not want their RL mug posted on the forum at all.ย  Others might be OK with it as long as not being directly captioned.ย  Others might be happy to have both mug and username displayed.ย  So, group photographs are going to need to be discussed before sending on to Phase for posting.

We may end up with 25 shots of The Airedales …ย  They love publicity.ย ย  ๐Ÿ˜€

WhoHar @whohar

@shazzbot

What about pics of those attending but hidden behind their avatars? Would put one over on The Usual Suspects but you may get some strange looks in the pub.

@whohar – frankly, I think we might get strange looks in the pub anyway… especially when we haul out the flipchart and the coloured markers. ๐Ÿ˜€

WhoHar @whohar

@bluesqueakpip

๐Ÿ™‚ Now that’s a picture I’d like to see.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 991 total)

The topic ‘The Rose & Crown’ is closed to new replies.