On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

@missrori and @mudlark All the Pertwee stories were made in colour but I believe that one story was accidentally destroyed and so might have been restored from a black and white copy. We are soon to start re watching the Pertwee stories and  I generally read up on the background to each story as we watch. Have a Dr Who guide book at hand.

Cheers

Janette

David Zdep @davidzdep

Sounds right guys. Car was Bessie. But the shows were B/W so my confusion.

When I get to that season I will discover the episode I am recalling (vaguely)

Thanks.

janetteB @janetteb

@davidzdep The show was made in colour but may not have been broadcast in colour, depending on where you were watching and on what TV.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb

accidentally destroyed

Not so much with the accidentally. It was policy. Some shows have been completely lost.

Mudlark @mudlark

@janetteb

Despite the fact that I knew even at the time that they were being broadcast in colour, I still tend to think of the Pertwee episodes as being in B&W, because when they were originally broadcast I did not have a colour TV set.

David Zdep @davidzdep

Hi,

My memory of the episode is from a long time ago and I suspect

I may have only had a B/W TV at the time.

It does appear it is Jon Pertwee.

Thanks

David Zdep @davidzdep

Hi,

A lot of the shows from the first 3 seasons I am watching are recreations from the original audio but using still photos for the video. Done by “Loose Cannon”

David

janetteB @janetteb

@pedant Yes yes I know that. 🙂 But by the Pertwee series they had stopped throwing Dr Who on the bonfire. I can’t track down the story at the mo’ and don’t have time just now to trawl through all my Who books but I half recall an account of a Pertwee story getting trashed after they had essentially stopped ditching the stories, just before it was scheduled to be screened at a fan event. As I said, “half recall” meaning at least half that might be incorrect. I will keep looking for the details as the books are now out.

@mudlark and @davidzdep Yes I too tend of think of Pertwee stories as being black and white because that is how I first saw them, (and Baker too for that matter) even though I have watched the Pertwee stories far more times in colour since. I think it is because they tend to be very grey whereas I picture some of the earlier historical stories as being in colour from the stills, eg Marco Polo.

Cheers

Janette

TheDentistOfDavros @thedentistofdavros

Hello everyone, been gone a while but just popping in.

On the subject of b/w Pertwee stories I know that there is no colour copy of Invasion of the Dinosaurs episode 1 and so they have released the DVD with both the b/w and a restored colour version of episode 1. Personally I would go for the b/w version as it suits the tone of the episode perfectly.

Also The Mind of Evil was released on DVD in colour though there are no surviving colour tapes but some wizards have recreated the colour for us to enjoy. I always just assumed it was a b/w story but didn’t realise until last year that some Pertwee colour tapes had been junked along with lots of Hartnell and Troughton episodes.

That’s all I know about the state of the Pertwee missing tapes but I’m sure there’s more detailed analysis somewhere else on the internet.

Hello everyone, been gone a while but just popping in.

On the subject of b/w Pertwee stories I know that there is no colour copy of Invasion of the Dinosaurs episode 1 and so they have released the DVD with both the b/w and a restored colour version of episode 1. Personally I would go for the b/w version as it suits the tone of the episode perfectly.

Also The Mind of Evil was released on DVD in colour though there are no surviving colour tapes but some wizards have recreated the colour for us to enjoy. I always just assumed it was a b/w story but didn’t realise until last year that some Pertwee colour tapes had been junked along with lots of Hartnell and Troughton episodes.

That’s all I know about the state of the Pertwee missing tapes but I’m sure there’s more detailed analysis somewhere else on the internet. Sorry if I’m just repeating what’s already been said but I haven’t been on in a while!

Oops. Double post

(you can tell I haven’t been on in a while, my posting skills are a bit rusty!)

Anonymous @

Just ignore this. I don’t know how to turn off notifications without posting something. Sorry.

Missy @missy

@theconsultingdoctor; Doesn’t it drive you mad?

Missy
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”></div>

janetteB @janetteb

Just watching The Ambassadors of Death which is series one Pertwee and it is mostly black and white with  some colour segments. It is a reconstruction as the original was destroyed. The colour segments are taken from fans’ home recordings. (Reel to Reel recording I guess given the time.)

Cheers

Janette

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Nothing that could remotely be considered as ‘news’ but a nice little interview with SM here

Anonymous @

@jimthefish

That’s a good article.

Thank you for that.

janetteB @janetteb

@jimthefish thank you for the link. It was perfect reading for morning coffee. If only, if only Moffat felt he had to say for another series and PC had been persuadable. Ah well. Dr Who changes so fingers crossed it will remain in safe hands.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@jimthefish: My thanks also. Ah well, if only are such sad words.

Missy

Missy @missy

I don’t think I posted this, if I did please delete it.  A  response from an email I sent to the ABC about Sherlock

Thank you for your email.  Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.Unfortunately, Season 4 of Sherlock is only available to view on Stan at the present time, and at this stage the ABC has not been able to obtain the broadcast rights to an on-air screening at a later date.

I am sorry I don’t have better news on this occasion, however please be assured I will note your interest in the program for ABC Television Management so they are aware of audience interest in the program.

Thank you again for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Also, the report that only over 5 million tuned into Sherlock (TLD) after noting that many had recorded it, had pushed the ratings up to nearer 9 million. *rolls eyes*

Missy

David Zdep @davidzdep

Hi,

Thanks everybody. Pretty sure Pertwee is the answer. I believe I had a B/W TV at the time – so long ago. I always missed episodes and Canadian TV wasn’t great with giving all episodes. I have Kodi Player now and have a site to watch from the beginning. Some of the re-creations are good and some are not. “Loose Cannon” seems to be the best. Season 5 seems to have more full copies than most. I will probably recognize the episode I am recalling when I get to season 7 or later.

Sure appreciate your answers.

David J. Zdep

Calgary, Alberta.

ichabod @ichabod

Hey, some good news out of Texas, for a change!

http://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/02/26/boy-scouts/?utm_campaign=FanSided+Daily&utm_source=FanSided+Daily&utm_medium=email

So sad that DW is always so ruined but all those annoying creative people, eh?

Rob @rob

Ohhh my, its been too long!!!!

Waves at everyone 😀

Well listening to good old Radio 4 this morning and nearly crashed when I heard the name of the MI5/MI6 operation to eavesdrop on people through their TV’S……. yes Operation Weeping Angel!!!!!

MissRori @missrori

Wow!  Spooky stuff there, @rob!  😀

Anonymous @

@rob

How are you doin’?

It’s Son of Puro here. She picked your post up last night and mentioned “coffee”.

Any new brews?

Looking forward to seeing you on the new Who Season soon.

Thank you,

Thane

janetteB @janetteb

Hi @rob

good to hear from you again.

Cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@rob   I saw that story last night and admit to a few giggles. Who is watching Who?

MissRori @missrori

@winston The Wednesday night run of @midnight — an American panel show that pokes fun at the world via what’s turning up online, often with very blue humor — had a ball with this particular story.  The host, Chris Hardwick, is a vocal Whovian (he hosted/moderated the 2015 San Diego Comic Con panel with the Who leads) and he joked that he’s now worried that he might be an unknowing, unwitting government agent.  Maybe he’ll be activated to go after union leaders or cozy up to Vladimir Putin when somebody just says “Amy Pond” to him!

winston @winston

@missrori  I have watched that show but sadly missed that episode.  Too funny!

I am slightly worried about any “operation Dalek” that may be out there.

Missy @missy

Not much longer my dears.

Missy

Missy @missy

Any of you seen this?

Rove McManus “geeks out” on new ABC series Whovians, nerd central for Dr Who fans.

It airs on Sunday 16th. April at 8,30 on ABC 2.

I for one will be watching.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

Cool, someone’s finally doing a Doctor Who “aftershow”!  I wish there was one of those in the U.S.  There are aftershows for Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and Orphan Black — there was even one for the ill-fated network drama Smash — but I think this is the first for Who.

Joshamus @joshamus

I’m not sure I’m a fan of this doctor who aftershow idea…don’t get me wrong I like discussing the show (reason I’m here) but if it’s anything like the walking dead one then it will just be worshipping the show regardless of whether the episode was good or bad! I’m a newcomer here btw, just stepped off the TARDIS! So hello!

ichabod @ichabod

@joshamus   Welcome, then!  “Aftershow” means actual TV time after the show?  Or something on the internet?  There are brisk comments on sites devoted to popular shows here in the US; waste of time, mostly, people with none of the analytical distance from the thing that makes conversation about any art form interesting.  But, as the man said, tapping his honker, “Who knows?”

Anonymous @

hey @joshamus

Welcome to the site mate! I agree with those aftershow things too -I was a fan of Walking Dead and then wasn’t -that happened a long time ago. Probably half way thru series 2. But anyway, I’ll wait and see on the Aftershow with Who -I’m a big fan of Moffat and Gatis and Capaldi and I think they will be pretty honest about what they produce.

Cheers,

Thane15

Joshamus @joshamus

@ichabod yes aftershow means it airs directly after the show. It’s an American thing so i doubt we will get it here in the UK! @thane15 i don’t have any worries about the actors and producers of the actual show it’s the presenters and other guests on the aftershows that get on my nerves. don’t get me wrong i tend to give Doctor Who way more praise than it deserves at times but i will criticize it if i feel it needs criticizing, but I think those guys would praise even Sylvester McCoy’s first series!

Missy @missy

@joshamus;

Hello there, I add my welcome to the rest.

Like  Thane15, I’m a big admirer of Moffat , Gatiss and Capaldi.

However, if I felt hat something didn’t gel, I would mention it.

Missy.

ichabod @ichabod

@joshamus   I agree — it’s the fans on such a show that I’d worry about.  If it were actual actors and crew *on* the show, I’d be thrilled to watch.  Rachel Talalay’s essays on her blog about directing episodes in S9 are wonderful and enlightening in so many ways . . . most fans, though, judging by their comments on reddit et al, neither know nor care about all that.  Which I guess is why the fan shows are mostly made up of, well, fans talking about how much they love the show, and which episode x or y occurred in, from what I’ve seen online.

Mersey @mersey

@missrori @joshamus @ichabod @thane15

The more I discuss Doctor Who the less I like it as your comments and theories make me realize the whole potential hidden in the storyline and left me disappponted as it’s usually not fulfilled. But this forum is a bit addictive.

Joshamus @joshamus

what do you guys think of the announcement that Bill will be an openly gay character? I am personally glad they are doing it but i do wonder why they feel the need to bring attention to it. Why can’t it just be a thing that is in the show, like a straight character would be? Opinions please?

ichabod @ichabod

Mersey  The more I discuss Doctor Who the less I like it

That’s sad — I know what you mean, I think, but it doesn’t bother me.  I’m probably inclined to be lenient in my judgement of the show because I’m so used to seeing the gaps in my own and my colleagues’ work between the ideal and realization on the page.  Luckily for us fiction writers, for the most part nobody externalizes our work in a fixed form leveraged downward to appeal to the widest possible audience, as happens with TV and movies.  I write my story, it gets published (I hope), and then every reader is their own “production company and cast” inside his or her own head, where nobody else can see it but also where nobody else sticks their oar in to twitch it this way or that in hopes of creating more appeal for a whole bunch of *other* people.

It’s like reading a novel vs. attending an opera.  One is an author speaking to you; the other is the building and launching of a Clipper ship, complete with crew.  Only with opera, they get to revise it a bit for every performance night to (one hopes) make it better, truer to the intentions of the piece and its Officers of Interpretation — director, conductor, etc.  With film and TV, fixed forms, what you see is what you get, no do-overs, no enhancements later of the brilliant bits that got buried or lost in the shuffle.

But we still get to play with it, and with all the possibilities we see in it, and for that opportunity I’m grateful.  And it’s — a lesson?  IMO, that gap between ideal and realization reflects and reminds of that same gap in our own lives; because that’s how it is — we’re all in this tragi-comedy together.

And I’m glad this forum is so addictive, keeping us together in our musings, delights, and complaints.

@joshamus   What?!  Okay, I’ve missed this bit: Bill is going to be gay?  Brilliant solution to the question of how to re-direct the Doctor’s emotional life After Clara, by swinging your female companion to a different sexual orientation from Clara’s.  Excellent!  As to announcing it, you just did, to me at least — I think that’s just the latest in a series of decisions (about just how to present such a character) that everybody will get to argue over forever.  Trust Moffat to go out with a demonstrative BANG!  “So we’re not allowed to make the Doctor female, and you’re probably going to go right back to pretty, romantic young men after I’m done here, so *here’s* a snook, cocked right in your faces, PTB and pissed-off fans!”

Me, I love the idea, can’t wait to see how bold they are with it and how it’s used.  Wow!  Gotta get back in the loop, here.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@ichabod They announced today that it will be set up in the very first scene of the new series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39444025

I think it’s great too, for all the reasons you mention. I really hope we don’t get a female Doctor now that Bill fancies. That would be a retrograde step.

But I know where you are coming from @joshamus. Does it need to be news in this day and age? I would have liked if they hadn’t made a thing about it but, having worked in PR, whatever gets you in the news is almost always good news. This is the work of the press office, I’m sure the Doctor Who team were not interested in it being a big deal.

@joshamus @ichabod @craig

Now that’s what I call a gay agenda….

(If Moffat’s writing – all the way back to Press Gang – has a consistent theme it is about loneliness and the desperate need to companionship and how connection makes us better, being isolated breaks us. The many and varied ways he has found to explore that, to riff time and again on the same theme and not get stale, not be bound by convention, are what make him a great writer.)

Lynda: This is life. No guaranteed happy endings.

(That’s especially for you @missrori)

Missy @missy

@merseyL

Like @ichabod, it makes no difference to me what people say.  I love it or don’t and other peoples opinions, although sometimes interesting, do not sway me a jot.

@joshamus: I don’t suppose it was Steven Moffat’s idea to tell all. The media love to cause, what they think, is a sensation. As for what  I think? It doesn’t bother me one way or the other *grins*

@pedant: As they say in police films, “Copy that.”

Missy

The Garnetto @garnetto1992

hey everyone, i have a series i think you guys would like. it is basically me giving dr who the cinema sins treatment, comically pointing out everything wrong with each episode. i have done the first 9 episodes of nuwho so far, so please check them out

SeverusOswald @severusoswald

Hi everyone! I haven’t had any internet connection for MONTHS. I know, it was the end of the world. But luckily it got fixed on Thursday. So I return to the Forum!

SeverusOswald @severusoswald

@garnetto1992 Really, you run Whovian Sins?! I LOVE THAT CHANNEL!

Mersey @mersey

@missy

Quite the opposite in my case. I value your opinions and ideas very highly so I wouldn’t say that they do not sway me a jot. I believe that everyone can say something inspiring, spot more things and understand them better than me. Of course there are things that I like and no one can convince me that I’m wrong in my conviction (I can’t be wrong that I like something, maybe the things I like are not as good as I think but it’s a different case).

@ichabod

I don’t think it’s sad when you relise why you don’t like something. In my case I don’t need to discuss things I like. I prefer to discuss things I don’t like because it helps me to ease my tension as I really care about Doctor Who. But I was talking about situations when you feel or know that something doesn’t fit, something is to much staged, inconsistent or could be better written. How to explain that?

I like to watch Gardeners’ world. I know nothing about gardening and don’t have a garden but it’s really entertaining. I’ve watched it regularly only for few years but I’ve seen few episodes with Alan Titchmarsh. I would never thought that one can say a bad word about Monty Don the current presenter of GW. But I read some words of criticism about him that he said some rude words about some flowers and people took offence, that he is completely against chemical methods of dealing with pest and never speaks about them, that Alan Titchmarsh who is a professional felt hurt that Don, an amateur took his place as a presenter of GW. My points is that after reading those critical comments I started to think that maybe Don really is wrongheaded, has no professional knowledge or is just rude. And it has nothing to do with my vision of GW. It lets me expect something more from the show. I have the same with Doctor Who. Of course when something is perfect it’s perfect. And most viewers and readers share that belief.

ichabod @ichabod

@severusoswald  Great!  Always happy to see someone back here again!

@mersey  Makes sense to me.  Except for perfection . . . an episode that seems perfect to me now I might see very differently a year from now, with or without arguments one way or another.  It doesn’t change; I do, and as a growth-oriented person, that’s a good sign to me.  In fact, I appreciate these “cultural yardsticks” that help me to see how I’ve changed, and how others have changed opinions and reactions too.  But sometimes I’m sorry for a loss like that.

Mudlark @mudlark

@mersey

after reading those critical comments I started to think that maybe Don really is wrongheaded, has no professional knowledge or is just rude

This is straying a bit off topic but, as a keen gardener myself I feel that you are being a little unfair here.  Alan Titchmarsh’s training as a practical gardener began with an apprenticeship after he left school. Monty Don came to it by a different route, but that does not necessarily mean that he is any less knowledgeable or deserving of respect and it is, after all, the principal means by which he earns a living. For that matter, many of the most influential English gardeners and garden designers of the 20th century were ‘amateurs’, in the sense that they were not professionally trained and it was not their main source of income – people such as Gertrude Jekyll, Vita Sackville-West, or Christopher Lloyd.

Having watched both you may find that you prefer Alan Tichmarsh’s ideas about garden design to those of Monty Don, but that is a matter of personal preference, and both have useful information to impart.  Like all gardeners, Monty Don has his preferences and prejudices when it comes to plants – I do myself, which does not mean that I condemn others who like the ones I prefer not to use. Likewise he favours certain techniques, which is also a matter of personal preference and even practical ethics. When it comes to ‘organic’ horticulture, for example, he has a valid point, because chemical pesticides in particular tend to cause as many problems as they prevent, killing off beneficial insects, including the predators which naturally control the pests as well as the pests themselves, and thereby compounding the problem, and many widely used chemical pesticides have turned out eventually to cause even more long-term, endemic ecological damage. There are, in any case, many other less drastic – if occasionally more labour intensive – ways  of dealing with the little blighters.

All I mean to say is that, just because you find that someone is criticised in some quarters, that is no reason to suddenly alter your opinion of them and dismiss them out of hand, any more than you should alter your opinion of Stephen Moffat as a show-runner just because he has been so often attacked by vociferous critics in some quarters.

In other words, trust your own judgement and ignore what others say unless it contributes to your depth of understanding 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@mersey

after reading those critical comments I started to think that maybe Don really is wrongheaded, has no professional knowledge or is just rude

This is straying somewhat off topic but, as a keen gardener myself,  I think that you are being a little unfair here.  Alan Titchmarsh’s training as a practical gardener began with an apprenticeship after he left school. Monty Don came to it by a different route, but that does not mean that he is any less knowledgeable or worthy of respect and it is, after all, the way in which he now principally earns his living, so he is no longer really an amateur.  Some of the most influential English gardeners of the last century, such as Gertrude Jekyll, Vita Sackville-West and Christopher Lloyd, were in any case ‘amateurs’ in that sense, as well as in the sense that it was not their primary source of income.

Like most gardeners, Monty Don has his preferences and prejudices when it comes to techniques and plants, as I do myself – which does not mean that I condemn those who hold different opinions; and when it comes to subjects like ‘organic’ horticulture and the use of chemical pesticides Monty’s views hold some weight.  Pesticides kill beneficial insects as well as pests, including those which prey on the pests, and so can cause as many problems as they solve, and some have proved over time to have a cumulative and long-term deleterious effect on the wider ecosphere.  There are in any case many other, if sometimes more labour-intensive ways of combatting the little blighters. Having seen both, you may prefer Alan Titchmarsh’s ideas on garden design to those of Monty Don, but that is also a matter of opinion and not a reason to dismiss the latter out of hand.

All I mean to say is, that there is no need to change your initial views of someone or something solely in response to criticism by others, any more than you would necessarily change your views of Stephen Moffat as a writer and show-runner just because he has been at the receiving end of vociferous criticism.  Trust your own judgement – while of course remaining open to arguments and insights which expand your understanding and appreciation 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.