On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    MissRori @missrori

Oh, @missy — to answer your question, Chicago TARDIS, as a regional, fan-organized convention, can only get so many special guests from year to year — and Capaldi and the key creative team are busy filming right now, after all.  Professional commitments always take precedence over conventions, unfortunately.  Last year Jenna Coleman was all set to appear for the Saturday events (and just a week after “Face the Raven” aired!), but Victoria filming got in the way and she couldn’t make it.  At least McGann, Samuel Anderson, Alex Kingston, Ingrid Oliver and Billie Piper were all there as the “backup team”, as it were!  😀

This year with Series 10 filming, the convention had to “settle” for Michelle Gomez and a bunch of old-school performers, and that’s cool too.  I mean, I met John Leeson and Anneke Wills!

So far, no contemporary series Doctor has been at Chicago TARDIS, alas.  Eccleston just doesn’t do cons of course, and Tennant and Smith are either busy with other projects or appearing at the professional, general sci-fi/fantasy conventions such as the Wizard World Comic Cons; they’re just that popular.  But they do get a lot of supporting players and classic Doctors, plus plenty of folks from Big Finish.  I’m hoping that with Series 10 airing in the spring, there will be some big names ready to go for the 2017 convention…  😉

Missy @missy

@missrori: Still sounds great. What was Billie Piper like? She was my favourite companion.

Have any of you seen this, hope the link works.

https://t.co/cTr29jWIZk

Missy

Missy @missy

Sorry, the above is in the  wrong thread! I got carried away. *blushes*

Missy

MissRori @missrori

@missy, I didn’t attend Chicago TARDIS 2015 so I haven’t met Billie Piper yet.  😉  Actually this was the first Chicago TARDIS I attended since 2008, where everything went a little pear-shaped with the schedule and the lines were insanely long for the guests!

Missy @missy

@missrori

Oh, what a shame! Next time.

Were you able to open the link? I assure you, the answers given by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss are very funny.

Missy

Have we all seen this?

Hello peeps

If you fancy a bit of a giggle, my pal Toby Frost (author of the Space Captain Smith series of books) has provided a little treat. Most years he does some sort of Christmas freebie for the fan base and this year’s is très amusant. Meet Maxe, un homme fou (I was was rather pleased with the Franglais I came up with for the teaser). Knowledge of the series is not needed (a couple of inside gags notwithstanding).

Enjoy.

Missy @missy

I’m not going to dwell on this,but I had a thought.They’ve already had a Hybrid, half Human half Dalek. Remember Daleks in Manhattan?

Naturally, the Daleks destroyed him,

Missy

Missy @missy

According to reports, the BBC has asked Peter Capaldi to stay for another series – 11. He is negotiating for a pay rise.

David Tennant earned 500, pounds a year playing the Doctor, PC only earns 400, a year. Unfortunately this has come when the BBC had decided on cut backs in pay and programmes. (hence Sherlock I should think)

PC will stay if the gets at least a percentage of a rise in pay.

They both deserve every penny, they were and are constantly on the go promoting, interviews, appearances and of course the actual series.

I only hope that the BBC uses its common sense and give Peter a rise in pay, he’s certainly worth it.

For my part, fingers crossed.

Missy

Missy @missy

Sorry everyone, I got over excited. My comment about the BBC cutting back -hence Sherlock, is of course wrong. It was/is, the ABC not showing Sherlock. *blushes*

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

@missy I think the BBC is subject to similar cuts as the ABC and for the same reasons; conservative governments who are too pally with a certain former Australian who wants to rule the world so your comment was apt.

Fingers crossed PC will get his well deserved pay rise.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@janetteb: Oh, that person! He’s still an Australian, you are where you were born – in my opinion.

Delighted to see that you too feel that PC deserves a pay rise. It’s such a punishing schedule.

I am so cross about not being able to comment on The Six Thatchers, which I watched the other evening – the Jeremy Brett version – all I know, or am assuming, is that they are busts of Maggie Thatcher and it wasn’t very popular with the audience. Ratings were down for the second film. As soon as I get the Box Set, I’ll be with you all.

Missy

winston @winston

@missy and @janetteb   I did not realize that different actors playing the Doctor were payed different rates. It seems very unfair and I think that PC should be payed as much as DT. It must be a very demanding work load. I say pay him what he wants as long as he stays.

Missy @missy

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I felt the need. I just watched part of the speech from the Zygon Inversion read by PC – the bits we didn’t hear. Not being good at links, here is what you look for on YT

The Zygon Inversion Speech – Read by Peter Capaldi Live in New Zealand

Missy

@missy

The link:

(It’s called copy and paste)

Missy @missy

Oh, very droll!  Smarty pants! *grin*

It doesn’t always work, therefore I simply post the title and where it can be found.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@pedant  — Wow.  Now, if only Trump would *listen* (ha!).  But they never do, the greedy, spiteful, baby piggies of the world.

Oops; politics okay, on the sofa?  Just a bit?

Missy @missy

@ichabod: HIM? LISTEN? Too busy listening to himself.

Missy

Missy @missy

This might interest you, I hope it works.

https://www.inverse.com/

Missy

Missy @missy

It didn’t. As I’ve said before, I often have trouble with links. It’s about PC having played SH with Alexai Sayle as Watson in a comedy sketch. Very funny.

@pedant Perhaps you can supply the goods?

Missy

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Oh no – Peter Capaldi has just announced on Jo Wiley (BBC R2) that he is leaving at the end of the next series.

Is this breaking news?

I think it’s breaking news.

So we’ll be saying goodbye to Capaldi and the Moffat era at the same time.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish

Mmm. I wasn’t saying anything until someone else did. Is this the right place? I guess so!

Oh boy. TEARS are flowing here.

Still, it had to happen didn’t it?

Thane15

chickenelly @chickenelly

Wha? Although I’ve been absent for over a year, I’ve heard rumblings the powers that be were looking for a ‘younger model’.

Oh, and whilst I’m here, that Christmas special was cobblers!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Hello @chickenelly!!

What a long time you have been gone. A “younger model”…well I suppose that that dashes any hope I might have had of applying for the job.

I must say, I am glad there is someone else with street-cred on this forum who thinks as you do about the last Christmas special. I was rather hesitant about expressing my doubts (which were very much in the minority) at the time. But, yes…

Not too surprising, I think. And the way he stated it, it is his choice – declined the chance to stay on.

Probably watched Broadchurch 2 and thought “Noooooo!”

Missy @missy

@chickenelly and@blenkinsopthebrave:

You are entitled to your opinions like the rest of us.

It was meant as a romp and it was.

@juniperfish; I’ve just posted that on the NEWS thread.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@chickenelly

I have been reading through your posts over the last few years. Brilliant. It really is great to have you back.

ichabod @ichabod

@juniperfish   Heart-breaking news, certainly.  I was hoping for four years at least . . . But there you are.

@pedant  Probably watched Broadchurch 2 and thought “Noooooo!”

I sure did.  Awful stuff.  Capaldi is probably well out of it, especially of BBC goes back to Teen Romance tropes for the Doctor.  Besides, nobody grows younger, and the physical demands (not just of making the show, but of doing all the publicity touring etc.) are pretty huge for the lead cast members, with modern DW.  Hartnell et al never had to cope with all that.

And maybe something luscious has shown up for Capaldi to take on after DW, something intriguing enough to clinch the decision for him.  Hope so!

MissRori @missrori

Just woke up to the news. (sniff)

I’m trying to look on the bright side.  Since this is Twelve’s final run of shows, logic dictates he has to have a happy finale, given how badly things went for him in in “Death in Heaven” and “Hell Bent”, where he was cheated out of the happy endings he earned with so much toil.

Perhaps at last the universe will pull together to prove it loves him, atoning for failing to be there for him in “Heaven Sent” and “Hell Bent”.  Perhaps Missy, Rassilon, Ashildr/Me, Ohila, and all those who hurt or betrayed him will be mightily punished!  Perhaps his mind wipe will be lifted and he’ll have a happy reunion with Clara.  Perhaps he’ll find the Promised Land.  Perhaps all the knees of Gallifrey will bow to him at last, instead of denying him his happiness and home.  There’s so much potential!

Missy @missy

@missrori

Or perhaps River will come back? Wishful thinking on my part.

Oh well, as long as the next Doctor is British and not a female, I’ll give it a chance.

Missy

chickenelly @chickenelly

That’s very kind @blenkinsopthebrave although I may disappear again until the new series starts.  Fingers crossed there may be some kind of story arc this time – you know for us to start theorising about.

Anonymous @

@chickenelly

‘Old Guard’ Hellooo! says Puro (I’m the son, we’ve not met).

Mum also said, along with @blenkinsopthebrave that she’s also read a lot of the posts from a year ago or even more.

Hope you do stay and comment. On the Christmas special, I gave it an ‘OK’ yet Mum quite liked it. Strangely though she’s only watched it twice. That may be a conscious decision!

Good to see you about stomping the boards!

Thank you,

Thane15 (and his Mum)

janetteB @janetteb

Was depressed all day yesterday after seeing the news. I really hoped PC would do one more series with Chibnell. I have to say I am not optimistic for the future of our favourite TV series right now. Trying not to make comparisons with old Who.

I was annoyed with the Guardian last night. they ran an article quoting comments from BTL and picked all negatives about Moffat especially. There were plenty of positive comments which they ignored.

(I liked the Christmas special. It was fairy floss but after the intensity of last series, and our christmas, that was a much needed tonic. I understand others not liking it. Most of the family were of the same mind as you @blenkinsopthebrave and @chickenelly who it is so nice to hear from again. I have yet to re watch it though so my opinion on the episode is not yet set in concrete.)

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

I’ve watched and watched it. I found it very funny and poignant. As I’ve said befoe, it was meant for children Much preferred it to Last Christmas. although I didn’t dislike that.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Just to get into the swing of the endless press speculation we’re now going to get hammered with, here’s the Daily Mash….

Missy @missy

Rolls eyes!

Anonymous @

@ichabod (moving this to the Sofa).

I reckon this -and it isn’t new at all. But we’re influenced by the people around us. My parents aren’t ‘young’ and they’re not ‘old’ -in one way I can’t really relate to age as youth or ….something else.

I have a lot of family -most I never see. The ones I really like are at least 40 but are usually in their 60s.

I enjoy their company and experience. Also, unlike me mates, they don’t swear ALL the time. 🙂

They have stuff to say. It’s written all over their faces. Whilst I watched BBC’s The Hour back in 2013 and cried when I heard Whishaw wasn’t going to be the Doctor I now feel really stupid. This sweet, nerdy guy, straight after another sweet, nerdy guy (Smith) just wouldn’t have worked for me. Personally.

Maybe for others though. We’ve had doctors and mates and builders we don’t like much and then we move on. But someone else likes those mates and doctors and builders so the world keeps turning.

I think it’s important to “judge” actually (some other Forum member mentioned that I think). We’re human, conscious animals and we absolutely do have to judge. It’s what we do with the judgement that ultimately matters. How we express it. How we end up being flexible. That’s what good about the show too – we can be flexible.

There are some things which you can’t be flexible about. The new American President being one of those things. 🙂

*But I digress. My new teacher is amazing. I got this* phrase from her 🙂

I dunno in the end. Mum was watching this awful stuff about prostitution in Britain. She went out of the house yesterday (it was hellish -ambulances and other stuff and she felt totally fine 10mins before) but she met a 78 year old lady who I LOVE. Anyway the two were talking (for the 10 mins in between ‘great’  and ‘hell’) and honestly it was sad to hear about them saying: “well all this bad stuff, kinda glad i’m leaving the planet soon.” And that’s what a lot of people are saying. So, that means me, us, all of us in our teens and twenties are going to have to actually DO something -remove the dregs I guess and smarten up -I say that respectfully.  And we can’t be cocky about it either.

It’s tough.

Cheers!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Some trivia. For those not in the UK, or those in the UK who don’t watch Celebrity Big Brother (I’m assuming all of you), as I’ve posted before I’m related to James Cosmo, who looks like he might win it on Friday. James Cosmo is one of those great character actors who’s been in tons of stuff (the new Trainspotting sequel most recently) but never been a household name (maybe until now). He even got a profile in The Sun (big UK tabloid newspaper) today headlined “Who is James Cosmo?” His grandmother and my great grandmother were sisters.

Anyway, I was talking to my Mum about him and clicking around on Wikipedia and his father was also an actor, James Copeland (he was my grandfather’s cousin, if you’re keeping up). He was in an episode of “Dad’s Army”, another of “Are You Being Served”. He also had a bit-part in one of my favourite films, Hitchcock’s “The 39 Steps”. But he was also one of the main characters in the Doctor Who story “The Krotons”, one of the Patrick Troughton’s stories, written by the great Robert Holmes. I never knew that. Made me proud. Unfortunately I’ve never seen it so must buy the DVD now.

This made me laugh though. According to Wikipedia “the story received a mixed reception from viewers. Some enjoyed the story, describing it as “intriguing” and “compelling”. More critical viewers thought the series was becoming “stale” and “boring” and that it was “too horrific” and “too far-fetched”. A small minority considered it to be “the usual predictable rubbish”, some saying that they only watched the show because their children enjoyed it.”

Nothing ever changes! 🙂

ichabod @ichabod

@thane15 *But I digress. My new teacher is amazing. I got this* phrase from her 🙂

Oh, I digress all the time — it’s one of my favorite things to do.  And yes, I find myself saying that a lot lately — “I’m glad I’m old”.   Not “glad”, really, but — relieved.  I’m relieved that I don’t have a whole lifetime ahead of me that seems to demand not just as much but *more* effort than this one has to shove that damn boulder another inch uphill and away from the slime of crime-as-usual down below.  You never get as far as you need to, and there are always throwbacks (like Trump) trying to knock you over and kick the whole thing downhill again, because they thrive on slime and can’t stand anyone else pointing the way up out of it.

I do think, though, that the next 10 yrs or so will bring some bright leading lights and hard punches from Nature that will shove a lot more people up to help with the job, so no doubt my impatience is making the future look darker than it will turn out to be; also the fact that my life started in the Presidency of FDR, with a wave of reform and re-thinking, and to see it all being literally rolled back now is very disheartening.

As for “judging” — I agree; you can’t make intelligent choices without judging the best among options, so fine discrimination is necessary to make the most of that flexibility of ours.  It’s the crude stuff (defaulting to bigotry and stupid, unexamined attitudes) that gets us into trouble.

I’m happy to hear that your new teacher is amazing!  I had some teachers like that, and then I got to teach, myself, with some more.  I’ve never forgotten them and never will.

ichabod @ichabod

@craig  According to Wikipedia “the story received a mixed reception from viewers. Some enjoyed the story, describing it as “intriguing” and “compelling”. More critical viewers thought the series was becoming “stale” and “boring” and that it was “too horrific” and “too far-fetched”. A small minority considered it to be “the usual predictable rubbish”, some saying that they only watched the show because their children enjoyed it.”
    Nothing ever changes! 🙂

Yow, that is a HOOT!  “Stale”!  “Boring”!  “Predictable rubbish”!  Though maybe some things do change, a bit — I doubt anyone in those days complained that there wasn’t enough “real death” in DW, the way some do now.  I hesitate to think about what that change means . . .

Anyway, congrats for being descended from DW royalty.  And thanks — I’m going off to run errands with a big grin on my face.

janetteB @janetteb

@thane15 I hope your Mum is OK Please pass on my regards and hope that she will be back with us soon.

I am glad you like your teacher. A good teacher makes such a difference. R.3 started back this week, (SA is a week behind QLD  I think) He is happy with his teachers too which is great as this is such an important year. (Same year as you)

You are so right about judging. Yes it is something we do all the time and our judgement is important. It is essential to our social survival. We judge when someone is potentially harmful or damaging to ourselves or our social group. Sometimes we get it wrong especially when we are making judgements about people we don’t know, ie actors. For instance I was not impressed with Matt when it was announced he was to be the next Doctor. I thought he would be terrible. Five minutes into The Eleventh Hour and I was a convert. (Actually maybe less than five minutes, however long it took for him to look out of the Tardis and say “apples”)

@craig That is cool, having a relative that was in Who. We have been rewatched the Troughton series including some of the better reconstructions. I just consulted my Doctor Who guide which is currently on the chair beside me and the Krotons is next on our viewing list.

Cheers

Janette

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@janetteb Glad it’s up next on your list. You’ll have to tell me if it’s any good (without spoiling of course!). @ichabod glad those reviews made you laugh, I just thought the difference from 1969 to 2017 is so little. No wonder the production team have to just ignore the comments and carry on where their heart tells to to go.

Found a clip of him in the episode on Youtube. He’s in it from the start – the blond, curly haired one. Can’t quite tell he’s Scottish right at the start but the accent quickly comes through. He does look a lot like my grandfather, and my uncle.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@janetteb If you’re about to watch don’t watch that clip until the end. Just the first minute so you know who he is. The rest is a bit spoilery!

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane15

it was sad to hear about them saying: “well all this bad stuff, kinda glad i’m leaving the planet soon.”

There have been time recently when, considering my age and projected life span,  I too have caught myself thinking that, though I try to shake myself out of it. We seem to have so little time to secure the future of humanity and the planet, and those in power and those they have seduced into enabling them seem hell bent on a course of destruction, because they cannot see beyond their own scientifically illiterate, tunnel visioned and short sighted, self interested noses.

It is tough on your generation, and all those who will have to live with and find a way to cope with what is coming, but the human race is resilient and resourceful. I’m just sorry that those of my generation who care probably won’t be around long enough to help much.  During my lifetime the majority of us in the developed world have been privileged. Regardless of individual circumstances, we lived in an optimistic world in which the material and social circumstances for most were gradually improving and even the most disadvantaged could hope for better, provided some nutter did not press the nuclear button.  Now everything is in the air again, and things appear to be going backwards, but that is no reason to despair and give up. I forget who said that history does not repeat itself but sometimes it rhymes, and in either case we can learn from it and be alert to that rhyming; and once people see, they can organise and resist.

janetteB @janetteb

@mudlark, Well said. I worry about the world our sons, (and daughters) will inherit. It is tough enough for them already and they know it. They are very aware of how grim the prospects are for their generation just in terms of work and cost of living without the added fears of run-away global warming and the rise of the far right. I really don’t envy them. When I was the age of the eldest I was living in the U.K, travelling through Europe and the Middle East, hitching occasionally. It was safe, easy to pick up casual work, easy to survive. It is so much tougher to do those king of things now. It isn’t all bad though. I helped the second boy enroll the other day. Looking at the courses available to him that were simply not available when I was at Uni made me envious. I would love to do all of the subjects he is doing.

We are going through a period of political upheaval. These happen from time to time. There will be pain but at the end, I hope, (in my most optimistic moments) that at the end reason will triumph as it has in the past, but for that to happen, we have to ensure our voices are heard. (even if that means wading into the mire BTL occasionally.)

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

@ichabod; Seconded.

@thane15: Pass on my good wishes too please.

@mudlark: It was pretty tough on our generation at times too, and it seems that the young people I’ve spoken to all know what’s wrong and how to fix it!  Just like all generations.

Janette: Well said. *applause from the gallery*

Missy

David Zdep @davidzdep

Hi,

New member. My Favourite was Tom Baker partly, I guess because he was the first I saw.

If I post this question in the wrong section tell me and I will re-type where you say.

I am trying to find what I think is an unauthorized Doctor who series. It was B/W, same video quality as the 1960’s series. older man with longer white hair and drove an odd looking small car. Typically wore a cape style coat. That is about all I remember. Can anyone help?

David J. Zdep

Calgary Alberta, Canada

dzdep@shaw.ca

Missy @missy

@davidzdep: The only one I can think of, besides William Hartnell, is Jon Pertwee.

Missy

Mudlark @mudlark

@davidzdep   Welcome to the Forum.

As @missy suggests, your description exactly fits the third Doctor, played by Jon Pertwee from 1970 to 1974.  He affected a dandified style of dress, with frilled shirt fronts, velvet jackets etc. and, during the earlier part of his run at least, he often wore a silk lined cape.  The vintage yellow car was named Bessie, and beneath her antique exterior were some surprising modifications.

The Pertwee episodes were the first to be broadcast in colour.  All episodes survive, I think, although a few required restoration, and DVDs are available.

MissRori @missrori

@mudlark  Right — some of the Pertwee episodes were restored from black-and-white copies, weren’t they?  Maybe that’s what our newbie here saw!

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.