Doctor Who memories

Home Forums General Doctor Who memories

This topic contains 518 replies, has 137 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 519 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

@nakoruru:

So sorry I cannot help you. You could try  asking Google. You’d be surprised what they know.

Good luck

Missy

Nick @nick

@nakoruru

Your first one sounds like something in Time of Angels (a Matt Smith two part story), but I don’t remember the actual scene so I may be wrong.

NearlySane @nearlysane

My first clear memory of Dr Who was the final episode of the The Evil of the Daleks, I had thought that this meant I was 3 at the time but I recently found out is was repeated a year later.

Missy @missy

@nearlysane

I must be the oldest here.

My first memory of Doctor Who, is the night it went to air in 1963 – just before or after, the news came in abut JHFK’s assassination.

I loved it from the first. I even watched the repeat on the Saturday.

Missy

CedarBranchTardis @cedarbranchtardis

I don’t even remember when I first watch the Dr. I worked with someone sometime between 1975-1984 who watched the Dr. on public TV in the US. When I signed up for Dish Network with BBC-America, I discovered the Dr. and I think Chris Eccleston was the 1st Dr. I saw. I was finally warming up to Peter Capaldi and now he is gone. I will miss his guitar playing. I haven’t watch Dr. Whoette yet (LOL) and am wondering how regeneration can change an XY into an XX. Ya’ll have a goodern.

swordwhale @swordwhale

@juniperfish … as a child who was definitely wired differently, I really wanted a hero to evoke that quality of “it’s OK to be your own wild self”. Sadly, it was the 50s and 60s, across the pond in the US and mostly we had westerns and cop shows. Well, then there was Star Trek… and Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and other science fiction and fantasy that I loved, but…

I didn’t even hear of Doctor Who until I grew into fandom in the late 70s, after high school. I did sci-fi conventions, living history (they’re all fans) and collected a like-minded set of friends. Friends who had more than one channel on the TV talked about Doctor Who, someone gave me an insanely loooooooooooong scarf (still have it), explained tardi, tardises, tardigrades (what even IS a police call box???? in America we got these phone things on the desk with a round dial thing that goes brrrrrrring!)… and somewhere along the line I got to watch random episodes as a kind of weird wonderful vacation from the mundane.

Eventually I got a computer, then a better one, then one connected to the internet. Yes, I do live in the dark ages, and I can swing a sword and row/sail a Viking Longship (longshipco.org Oakley MD USA), paddle a kayak, train a mustang, and sled dogs (they’re all on my website, swordwhale.com). But I will converse like a mariner at any technology unfortunate enough to fall into my path.

I watched the odd Doctor Who episode (largely Ten and Eleven, they’re great) at friends’ houses, wishing I could catch more…

and then… wonder of wonders…

OH HEY YOU CAN BUY THIS ON AMAZON!!!!!

I watched the entire run of Capaldi there. I adore the grumpy old wizard. Then he regenerated and…

OMG THIS IS THE HERO I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR SINCE I WAS SIX!!!!

Somewhere in an interview Jodi Whitaker talks about being a kid and all the cool characters who were having adventures were boys.

YES! That’s how it was in the 50s, and the 60s, and the 70s… all the cool characters I watched growing up were boys! OK, it was fun to crush on the cute heroes but, geeeeeeeeeeeeez… WHERE ARE THE GIRLS I CAN RELATE TO?????

Now, female heroes are not so uncommon anymore, in the Marvel universe, in Star Wars and Star Trek and other things I loved as a kid. Even the Hobbit produced the very character (or at least a close clone) I’d played for years in D&D and living history (red-headed girl Elven archers were my usual character).

But the 13th Doctor is one I wish I’d had as a kid, running forward into potential danger with curiosity, pluck, and a huge sense of childlike wonder. Someone who can unpuzzle the puzzle, who isn’t a fighting warrior but saves the day, who is quirky and odd and understands fairness and justice.

Now where can I get that T-shirt.

@phaseshift …that is hysterical! And utterly imaginative, turning other toys into Doctor Who figures. And yes, I still collect various figures related to my favorite stories (digs through thrift shop plushie bin, oh no this Minion/Dory/Stitch/Bilbo is for my dog/niece/cousin’s kid…).

swordwhale @swordwhale

PS: the East Berlin PA (USA) library is a wonderful place where I can borrow DVDs for free…

They have Doctor Who: Lost in Time, Collection of Rare Episodes

It’s several William Hartnell episodes from 1963 to 1966 (when I was 8 to 11 years old). A couple episodes are audio only, which is odd, because you have to imagine the action, and it is not an “audio book” with description, just the audio from the TV episode.

Interesting how much the show has changed from its beginnings. That is its beauty though, it can regenerate, shift, with time and the surrounding culture. The show itself travels through time and is always relevant, fresh and new.

Anonymous @

Haven’t been with the Doctor anywhere near as long as most of you.  Couldn’t make out the dialog (I’m hard of hearing) until I finally woke up and put the closed captioning on.  Then I watched the BBC American 2015 Christmas marathon for hours on end, and I’ve been hooked ever since!  I’ve seen all the AG episodes, and some of the BG as I can.

The funny thing is, I blogged some about my new enthusiasm, and my best friend growing up emailed me and told me I was an idiot, he’d tried to get me to watch decades ago!  Better late than never…

ltia @ltia

I ‘remember’ Tom Baker being the ‘best Doctor’, but as I was born in 1978, I suspect it’s more that I was told he was the best but probably didn’t see any of it other than clips until I started watching DVDs in 2005! Well, apart from the Doctor and Romana punting on the river Cam!

My clearest memory is Peter Davison regenerating, which was quite shocking. Watching Caves of Androzani back now it seems baffling how a six year old could watch it. I remember Trial of a Time Lord and by Season 26 I was watching religiously.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @ltia – thanks so much for sharing your memories of your first Doctor (which are similar to mine!).

Don’t worry that the forum seems to be talking about weather/ horticulture/ ear worms or best decade of music (apologies) – I’m sure everyone here loves to have new members diving in, being brave enough to say “hi” and basically getting involved.

Did you see the most recent series?
    Did you Like it?
    Its ok to say “no” to either of those questions – the great thing about this place (at least for me) is that reading others’ thoughts helps me understand why I liked or didn’t like an episode, due to writing or production or a better understanding of my own sensibilities etc.

And even if conversation of this series dries up then we’ve still got favourite doctors, favourite companions, discussions about Time and morality and ethics and… well, we’ll always have the music!

;¬)

ltia @ltia

@whisht  For me the new series started out quite strong and had a couple of brilliant moments, but nowhere near enough. By the end, there was a general feeling of ‘meh’ for me. It’s strange that they’ve cut beck on how much they are making to keep the quality up but it felt kind of rushed. Not changing the companions clothing for different eras was strange. Plus I don’t think it was different enough to previous ‘new-Who’. Not the worse season by any means, but I was hoping for a big change.

But when Yas was used she was a great companion and I was actually worried about Graham’s character (I hate the celebrity-Who thing) but he was brilliant form the start. Much like the early RTD stuff but with a bit more weight. Killing off a character at the start was really good. Episodes 3, 6 and 8 were excellent, classic Who.

out1 @out1

Can anyone tell me an episode with Peter Capaldi as the doctor where he was trying to save a frozen woman every year for a number of years,cant find it cant remember much more about it.

Mudlark @mudlark

@out1

You may be thinking of the Christmas special, A Christmas Carol, although that was the eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, not Peter Capaldi.

out1 @out1

@mudlark thank you thats the one, great episode!

syzygy @thane16

@roger429

Hey! Sorry, what’s an “Emily Post ?”

Yeah, here, we do tag people because Syzygy might confuse people or they may not really want to read that again. Short story: mum and I share the tag. Mum’s sick a bit, so sometimes I type for myself, others I type for her. I’m doing that now. And when I DO type for mum, I always let people know that. It’s just part of the general site behaviour here which is extremely helpful actually. There are things we have which no other site has ever had. There are no ads, for instance which means that lots of fantastic posts can be read over many, many different years on every new Doctor and old. I was reading some from 2013 when I joined and the genuine KNOWLEDGE  was stunning on every level. I will state outright that I am friends with some of these people. I don’t want to annoy @mudlark or @arbutus but these are close friends and also @pedant. He’s a generous and kind man who I have been friends with for a long time and also whisht.

It’s hard to understand how you’d have taken antenna and analogue signals at the point in say, 1971 in the States. But it sounds….interesting. I haven’t seen more than a few eps of Red Dwarf. I remember the dialogue and it was cracking! I liked Star Trek and hosted Star Trek parties at the house from 9 til midnight on Friday and Saturday nights after uni as I was in the enviable position of hainvg a she-cave in the mid-80s with my own small sink (which I advertised as a wet bar) and a fridge as well as a hastily built all brick bathroom (which people would call a steam punk bath these days and charge 15 thousand for it!).

Doctor Who re-runs were all over the telly in the 1970s and new ones from the 80s also came in “chunks” of episodes with Tom Baker (by new, you can see I mean very old -it’s all relative at this point) and later our funny, celery wearing, tennis clothed Doctor who I liked a lot. In fact, like a lot of girls I think I had a bit of a crush on him. After that, though, and not for want of trying I didn’t see anymore Who until the Big Movie Flop which had the brother of a famous female actor in the title “evil” role. I know I left the cinema excited about the special FX, and the realisation, yet again, that “those Irish brothers are excellent actors” but I hope none of them get the gig should it return.

And then I saw Paul McGann in the web-sodes in 2013 and bit my tongue. He was incredible. In the 10 or so minutes he was on screen changing or morphing into the War Doctor. I think Doctor Who then was at its peak. But then we had Capaldi and hit another ‘peak’ and I don’t see too many troughs.

All and any errors are attributed to Syzygy the Younger always and forever. This is why we have children.

Also I caught what you said about your late wife @roger429. I hope it wasn’t sudden? But then as even the best of screenwriters say, “no, yes, it’s always sudden.” And I probably have that quote wrong too. The “yes” could come first. But my sentiment is genuine. And I hope you have many, many happy memories and perhaps children to share them with?

Roger429 @roger429

@thane16

Greeting to you both.  Emily Post wrote arguably the most famous guide on Etiquette in the world–circa 1922.  I appreciate the lesson on use of the hashtag.  You see I’m not on social media, never have been, and can’t see ever being on social networks or platforms.  That’s just me though.  I’m still in need of more instruction; when I’m posting to just anybody that wants to read my take on something Doctor Who what hashtag, if any, would I use?

I stand corrected regarding the memories thread–which is not a different forum as you say. Thanks for the correction.  I got confused because the Forum bar has forums instead of threads as the label.  My bad.

Turns out I have Doctor Who vhs’ and dvds with Tom Baker, Colin Baker, Tennant, Davison,  and Peter Cushing.  I am sorry to say I don’t have any Capaldi.  I quess I’ll have to correct that short-coming.   As to the music, I seem to like all of the Doctor Who themes I’ve heard.

My wife died 24 years ago, but I will always miss her.  I still have one or three living step-daughters, but she lives in California and I’m in Oregon–about 600 miles away.  Don’t see her near enough.

Thanks for your kind acceptance of my mistakes. I’ll try to do better.  Have a nice whatever time it is there.

Arbutus @arbutus

@roger429     Welcome to the DWF. Like you, I was never much for social media or participating on forums, until this one. (I was drawn to join shortly after the 50th anniversary special, so that I could comment on a fabulous essay by the erudite @bluesqueakpip. I have found that the level of discussion around here hugely exceeds the usual attitudes around the internet (which Mr. Arbutus and I refer to as the “Well, you’re an extra, extra a**hole” approach to debate—long story).

DW fans often lean toward one side or the other of the history-vs.-scifi debate. Personally, I enjoy both approaches. I’m a historian by education, so I always enjoy a historical setting (even the ones that stray pretty far from legit history don’t bother me), but there’s a lot to be said for a good, alien-filled outer space setting as well! As you can say, I’m usually pretty easy to please (possibly due to being Canadian! 😀 ) But you’ll find here a nice spread of opinion as to superiority of Doctors, companions, show runners, themes, settings, and so on. There’s lots of (mostly courteous) disagreement!

My first (and in many ways, still fave) Doctor was Doctor No. 4, Tom Baker. Like you, I have a fondness for the Douglas Adams era. But I have great memories of watching old Pertwee episodes with a room mate of mine and enjoying them hugely (I discovered Red Dwarf at that time, too). Of the new era Doctors, Capaldi is my favourite, but I’ve always found something to love in each regeneration.

Arbutus @arbutus

@thane16   All and any errors are attributed to Syzygy the Younger always and forever. This is why we have children.   I wish I could get away with assigning all my mistakes to Arbutus Jr. This would never fly. I can’t even assign them to the cat and get away with it.  🙂

janetteB @janetteb

@roger429 Welcome this is a friendly place, after all so it should be. Dr Who promotes tolerance and kindness, so hopefully to some degree we reflect the values of the show we all love. (just a note in case it hasn’t been explained, AG Who means After Gap and BG Who means Before Gap. that often confuses new members)

@arbutus My sons accuse me of being far too forgiving where Doctor Who is concerned too. The only series I really have trouble with are the Colin Baker ones, for many reasons. I have not watched the first McCoy season and don’t intend to do so. there are also some episodes of AG Who I have not watched, or if I have I certainly won’t re watch, mostly early Tennant ones.

Like you I love the history stories despite how wildly they misrepresent the actual history. I also enjoy the Sci Fi ones. The ones set in the here and now of often my least favourites, though there are plenty of notable exceptions to that. One of my favourites from the most recent series is the episode set in Norway but then it was Norway so not really “here”, just “now”.

Cheers

Janette

Roger429 @roger429

@janetteb @arbutus

Hello from Oregon (pronounced Or-gone)–if you care about such things.  I have notice the gap references and appreciate the heads-up on the AG and BG designations.  My undergraduate degree was in History, and I adore History stories.  But when it comes to scifi I prefer my history to be funny and irreverant if possible.  I refer you to the Red Dwarf episode when the writers had JF Kennedy be the shooter on the grassy knoll, thus killing himself; and the Futurama where Fry ends up being his own father after essentially killing the man he thought was his father (I believe that was originally a Heinlin plot–or maybe Asimov or Clarke?).  Good  plot twists in scifi settings are wonderful at times.  But frankly except for Shada I haven’t seen a Doctor Who that I  hated.  Even the original Peter Cushing movie with his granddaughter–which I believed started it all–was good enough to enjoy.  I agree that some DWs are better than others to each of us, as with the companions and storylines, but I am just enamored with DW in all its glorious variety.  I guess that’s me gushing a bit.

Well, thanks for the welcome and see you there and later.

janetteB @janetteb

@roger429 The films with Peter Cushing were made after the TV series started. The first of the two films, Dr Who and the Daleks came out in 1965 two years after “An Unearthly Child first aired in the U.K and the second film, Dalek Invasion of Earth 2150 AD (which was essentially a remake of the TV story, “Dalek Invasion of Earth” was made in 1966. it was common at the time in Britain to make films of popular TV series. They were cheap to make and had a established audience.

The films did deviate considerably from Who canon however. For instance the Doctor is just a human scientist and Susan is a child. I have not seen either of them for a very long time.

Cheers

Janette

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16  (syzygy the elder)

Whatever made you think that I might be annoyed?  🙂

@roger429

Welcome from me, also.

As @janetteb says, the Peter Cushing films were a spin-off from the original TV show, the first episode of which, featuring William Hartnell as the Doctor, was broadcast by the BBC on 23rd November 1963 – although the debut was somewhat overshadowed by events across the pond on the previous day.  I guess that you are unaware of the excellent BBC film drama  ‘An Adventure in Space and Time’ which is about the origins of the show, its inception, development and early years, and the people involved.  If you are interested, you can find it by clicking on ‘Forums’ at the top of the page, and then scrolling down to ‘First Doctor’.

As pitched originally, Doctor Who was conceived as a show for children of around 12 years which would be both entertaining and to some extent educational, and in the early years it tended to alternate stories with a historical setting and those with a science/space travel/futuristic theme. As quickly became evident, it attracted an audience of a much wider age range and has always been seen as a family show. It really took off with the introduction of the Daleks.

I agree with you that from today’s perspective the relatively few 1960s episodes which survive can seem slow, with quite a lot of ‘padding’ between the cliff-hangers, the production values were comparatively low and there was little in the way of what we would now think of as special effects. But speaking for myself and I think many others who were around then, that didn’t seem important at the time. The show was produced under very tight time constraints in a cramped studio, and on a budget that by comparison with the money available even then to commercial stations in the US was minuscule. On the other hand, at least in my opinion at the time and since, the delineation of the characters was much more subtle and the stories tended to be less formulaic than e.g. in the original series of Star Trek, and there was ample scope for the imagination.

As you will have seen, things are relatively quiet here at the moment with no new episodes to discuss, but if you feel inclined to browse while we wait more or less impatiently, all discussions of previous episodes are archived under ‘forums’,

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16 (syzygy the elder)

Apologies, but even after due and cautious reflection I feel an irresistible urge to indulge in a Mudlark nitpick:

our funny, celery wearing, tennis clothed Doctor

wore a cricketer’s outfit and even, if my memory is to be relied on, wielded a cricket bat occasionally. But perhaps it is insensitive of me to remind you of that fact, so soon after England snatched a near miraculous victory from the jaws of certain defeat in the second test of the Ashes series 😈

Roger429 @roger429

@janetteb @mudlark

Oh how right you both are–I stand corrected and greatly educated.  Also, thank you for the warm welcome.  I have to say that I agree with everything you wrote.  I’ll even admit I never heard of nor have I seen An Unearthly Child, was that a movie with Peter Cushing?  I haven’t seen any Hartnell yet, but I just acquired the complete Season 8 with Capaldi.  Syzygy the elder says he was one of her favorites, so I’m entrigued to check it out.  I missed a lot of the AG Doctor Who cuz I was still working for a living and spent most of my spare time sleeping.  I was content to watch my collection of the 4th Doctor for quite awhile.  Now that I’m retired I’ve begun experiencing more and different Doctors and episodes. This includes the BG Doctors I missed–or, in some cases, avoided.  I’m glad to be a member of this forum and hope to enjoy the shared interest with all.  I guess I’ll tardis away for now. Later.

janetteB @janetteb

@roger429 Hartnell was the first incarnation of the Doctor. As I said the films are not considered “canon” and as such Cushing is not counted as one of “the Doctors”. I do recommend watching An Adventure in Space and Time. It is thoroughly delightful and very informative being a relative accurate depiction of the early days of Doctor Who, with some dramatic tension added naturally but I suspect very little was required. The real story being interesting enough. I also recommend watching at least the very first episode of Doctor Who “An Unearthly Child”. (mentioned by @mudlark) It works as a stand alone and is interesting to see how it all started. (it is about 25 mins run time.) Will be doing a podcast about it in November which I will put up a link to on the site.

cheers

Janette

Roger429 @roger429

@janetteb

Hi again.  I just finished watching An Adventure in Space and Time and loved every moment.  Thanks for the suggestion.  My next endeavor is to watch An Unearthly Child, but I won’t receive the dvd for another week–something to look forward to since, as @mudlark said (or was that you?), we’re in a holding pattern waiting until the next DW episode–apparently not until sometime in 2020.

What do you  make of all the internet rumors that Jodie is going to leave after the 2020 season.  I hope it’s not true and think it would be a shame. But what do I know.  Hope you are having joy in your life.  Out for now.

Arbutus @arbutus

@janetteb    I’m not the most discerning of viewers. If something resonates with me emotionally, or makes me smile, then I’m usually happy. Although some series or episodes I have gone back to over and over, and others I haven’t. I’ll have to do a rewatch of the last series and see how it sits with me on a second go-around.

@mudlark   I also remember the bat! 🙂

@roger429  I saw the first three or four episodes of the AG series, but I had a small child at the time and TV was difficult on any kind of regular basis. I came in midway through the Matt Smith era, when  my son was older, and iTunes had become a thing so I could watch on my own time. I binged-watched through Eccleston and Tennant, as well as the Amy/Rory years of Matt Smith. But I had seen pretty much all of the BG shows in late-night TV reruns in the 80s.

Roger429 @roger429

@arbutus    I have so many gaps of my own in both BG and AG that my only grace in this respect is that there is a lot of DW I can watch that is new to me, until a new DW story/episode is finally available.  I did watch An Adventure in Space and Time and loved it, but have a question.  I’m still not sure who came up with the regeneration theme; was it Newman , Verity’s successor or someone else?  I thought it was Newman until I read a piece that seems to suggest it was Verity’s successor.  Do you know?  I would really like to know.

I ended up purchasing An Adventure in Space and Time from Amazon prime because the YouTube free version is so bad it wasn’t worth watching–even for free.  So, for only $2.99 I own a copy that is in HD and streamed perfectly.  The price is better than the cost of a dvd, and I don’t have to find more space to store the dvd–my collection is over 1,000 dvds and vhs’ already–mostly scifi, cult classic, and comedy.  I bought most while I was still working and had disposable income for such things.  Retirement has changed all that.

Have you run across the internet rumor that Jodie is leaving DW after the 2020 season?  I hope not, but what do I know about such things.  Well enough–time to Tardis away for now.  Later.

Missy @missy

@roger429

Peter Capaldi’s theme music is superb and matches his character perfectly. I bought Adventure in time and Space, ages ago  and love it.

As for Jodie Whitaker, I hope she does leave! Bring back a male Doctor please.

Roger429 @roger429

@missy   Hello, nice to hear from you.  I just received Peter Capaldi’s complete 8th season and getting ready to watch from the beginning in a few minutes.  I’ve heard he’s a favorite of some;  I’m partial to Tom Baker, 4th Doctor, myself.  That’s probable because he was the first Doctor I experienced.  But I also like Tennant, Colin Baker, and Davidson to name a few.  I’m still discovering other Doctors, and I haven’t hated any of them. I’ve seen some of the movies with numerous Doctors in each and liked them very much.

I hadn’t heard of An Adventure in Space and Time until a week or so ago.  I immediately acquired a copy–HD eVideo–and watched it that night.  I too love it greatly.

I’m ambivalent regarding either a woman or man as Doctor.  But I can understand your wish–many feel the same.  I’m for giving her a little more time to make her mark–or not.  TIME will tell for this Time Lord.  Well, I wish you joy and bliss in all your endeavors.  I’m going to jump in my own Tardis and space out–for now. Bye.

Missy @missy

@roger429

Hello to you.

Peter Capaldi was very popular with some  and disliked by others.

I never had a favourite until he came along, then it was HE who  was my doctor.

There is no ambivalence on my part about a female Doctor, it’s all wrong.

I feel that Political correctness played a large part, using regeneration as an excuse.

As the rest of the forum knows well, I have never like JW anyway, so to me it was insult to injury.

I too had a fondness for Tom Baker, and most of the others, the only actor I didn’t like was Paul McGann.

Missy

Roger429 @roger429

@missy   Hello – Nice to hear from you.  I watched the first story with Peter Capaldi and from the first scene I remembered I’d seen this before.  I also remembered I too like Capaldi as the Doctor.  Tom Baker is still my favorite though.  I’m continuing to enjoy the rest of the complete Capaldi season 8 during the week.  I’m going to start on Unearthly Child this coming week, or that’s the plan at least.

I believe you could be on the money with the political correctness playing a part with the selection of a women as the Doctor.  And, the regeneration wasn’t even close to my favorite. Yet, I’m still inclined to wait and see how she does with season two.  I had more disappointment with the story lines than with Jodie though.  I admit I hadn’t seen Jodie in anything before so I had no preconceived notions either way.

I hope the next season changes my mind on the writing.  I’m not saying that any of the writing or stories were bad though.  Besides, what do I know except what I like; aliens, off-world, space-stations, tardis heavy stories, irreverent dialogue and near Doctor death themes are just some of what moves me.  I recognize the show originates in the UK and that is probably why so many of the stories–past, present and future–take place there.  Indeed, filmed in UK is OK with me.

Enough said, time for me to Tardis away–until later. Bye.

@roger429

the political correctness playing a part with the selection of a women

What the fuck does this even mean?

Click:

Missy @missy

@pedant

My opinion, as you have yours.

Bye the bye, could you come up with another ‘adjective‘ I find it offensive.

Missy

syzygy @thane16

@missy

For Christ’s sake. You’re playing about with this “pretend anger” thing & it’s not working. Alright? It aint. If people want to swear because they do, then that’s none of your business. As long as no-one has a “go” at an actual person. Also (Christ, I feel like I’m teaching grade school) he wasn’t talking to you. Not at all. So, having a “go” would be: “You [insert name] are a fucking idiot.”

That would be wrong.  This did not happen. You know this. Have a ciggy & calm the flip down.

@missy

Nah,. Every time anyone wants to hide behind those pathetic weasel words as a justification for their prejudice and hatred they will get it with both barrels.

Roger429 @roger429

@pedant        “Political correctness” means avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.  My guess is that in the context of Doctor Who it could suggest some believed that Doctor Who was a boys’/mens’ only position–despite the existence of women of Gallifrey in some story lines; again suggesting the female of the species was not somehow qualified to be a Doctor Who.  So, some believe having a female Doctor is an attempt to correct that perceived exclusion.  It is arguable that the show producers were swayed by that sentiment, and arguable that the change was for some other reason.  I haven’t subscribed wholly to either; I think it’s possible that both are correct to some degree.  Who really knows?  But I do believe the sentiment is not unfathomable.

To all have a good day.  Bye for now.

@roger429

I’m perfectly aware of the history, etymology, historical usage (as a self-correcting satire by the the left on those who got a bit too ideological pure) and how that was warped and corrupted by conservative writers into an assault on any who committed the sin of giving a damn about the hopes, dreams and feelings of others. And from there, how it degenerated into a lazy weasel phrase use as self-serving justification for second rate edgelords wanting to be offensive without rebuke and to hide behind when their pitiful little prejudices were challenged.

In 1963 it would have been exceptional indeed for the lead in any drama, never mind a new family sci fi show, to be anything other than a straight white male, and this was true of Doctor Who despite its first producer being a “pushy Jewish bird” and its first director a “posh wog” (and gay at that).

It is not 1963 any more, and that is the only justification needed for a female Doctor.

Roger429 @roger429

@pedant      Did you or did you not ask what the phrase means?  My response was only to give you a possible answer from those who think differently.  I was not attempting to educate you in any way. I mostly agree with your premises as stated.  And I do remember a few exceptional female leads in dramas on TV in the ’60s, but I also believe your correct in your assertions that it would have been exceptional.  I have no opinion on the characterizations of the first producer or director, and will respect your feelings in this matter.  Yes it is not 1963 anymore.  But that you feel the date is 50+ years later and that is the only justification needed is entirely your own reasoning.  Missy and others feel differently, and  I have heard no evidence that suggests who is the more accurate in their feelings.

As I’ve heard it said before, let’s agree that we have different takes on the matter, and that is ok.  As I’ve said before, I have nothing against a female Doctor, I like this Doctor, and I’m waiting to see how she does in the next season.  I certainly don’t believe a female Doctor Who is wrong or misguided.   So time will tell for the female Time Lord. Bye for now.

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

https://youtu.be/x_JCBmY9NGM

It’s Political Correctness gone mad

@toinfinityandbepond

Lee at his finest – never once raising his voice.

@roger429

Did you or did you not ask what the phrase means?

No.

A thought experiment: every time you find yourself thinking the term “political correctness” might be appropriate in a sentence substitute in “being considerate” (because that is what the abusive term is intended to deny) and see how that makes the argument look.

I believe you could be on the money with the being considerate playing a part with the selection of a women as the Doctor.” suddenly doesn’t seem quite so incisive, does it?

Roger429 @roger429

@pedant.         The term is sometimes used in an attempt to correct for a perceived injustice, historical or current. Your substitution doesn’t fit in the context Missy and I were using the term. So, I must disagree to the change as an accurate portrayal. Sorry for your confusion. Keep trying if your so inclined, but what’s the point?   Later

winston @winston

@pedant  and @roger429      It is my opinion that the decision to make the Doctor a women was motivated not by political correctness but by the things that make it possible to produce such a show, money and audience. The better the ratings the more money to be made. They are trying to bring new people to the show, maybe even female people like me and my granddaughters, females who make up approximately half the population. Maybe we want to be the Doctor and not the companion and do the rescuing and have the adventures and be the person in charge. Maybe a female Doctor will get a whole new bunch of people watching and loving the show so it keeps going.Just my view.

I always understood that to be politically correct just meant being polite and kind and being considerate of everyone no matter who they are.

Roger429 @roger429

@winston         Hello.  My response is Brava and kudos.  Great view.  Roger429 out for now. Bye

@roger429

The term is sometimes used in an attempt to correct for a perceived injustice, historical or current.

It is never used like that – it is a pejorative, exactly as Missy meant it – used as a way to justify being offensive and getting all uppity when people pop back. I would challenge you to find a single instance of use in a positive sense. Those who actually work to:

correct for a perceived injustice, historical or current

are the ones on the receiving end, and it is never, ever, a compliment and it is never, ever, use as self-description.

Quite why you continue to defend the indefensible is something only you know. What’s the point?

Roger429 @roger429

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@pedant.         Missy didn’t use the term as a pejorative at all. I took her use as short hand for an attempt by the shows producers  to correct a situation which some perceive as overdue. Why you can’t see that is not my problem. Why so angry about it? Relax. Have a beer and smile some. Nobody is attacking you or attempting to offend you, yet it sounds as though you believe we did.  No need for all this.</p>

@roger429

Missy didn’t use the term as a pejorative at

My. You really are new around here, aren’t you?

There is no non-pejorative use of the term. Putting the most positive possible spin on it still leaves it as a lazy, disrespectful dismissal of something that a lot of people have put a lot of careful thought into. But specifically, Missy doesn’t see it as correcting anything, but as ruining it. She hates the female Doctor to the extent of refusing to watch her.

Does nobody read for context anymore?

Missy @missy

@thane16 or syzygy

I was neither angry nor pretending to be, simply irritated by the unnecessary use of the “F” word.

As my comment was not directed at you, I can only reply that  it was none of your business, and I did not deserve

such condemnation.

Missy

Missy @missy

@pedant

Well, that’s me told!

Pathetic and Weasel words? If you say so.

However, you managed to say all that without using the “F” word once.

As for my dislike of a female Doctor, you all know my feelings on the matter, and I didn’t wanted bore @roger429

to death.

Missy

Dr Sachin Gupta @drsachingupta022

If you are searching for a specialist in knee replacement in jaipur then you don’t need to search it more. You are now at the right place. if you want to know more about joint replacement surgeon in jaipur then please visit our place or you can contact us at 9549006777.

knee replacement in jaipur
    orthopedic doctor in jaipur
    best orthopedic doctor in jaipur
    knee replacement doctor in jaipur

Viewing 50 posts - 351 through 400 (of 519 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.