Doctor Who News (2)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (2)

This topic contains 951 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 952 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/doctor-who-50th-trailer-breakdown.html

Nice bigger images from the 50 years trail…

This is Charlie Mawer’s original storyboard found on twitter…
    z

Hudsey @hudsey

And what a mini trailer it is… No wonder it’s late, the attention to detail is extraordinary, even in HD! But I have to agree with #blenkinsopthebrave the wording appears to be of absolute importance! ‘lives’ in the plural seems a contradiction to usual reflections on the past as a singular voice ( perhaps a pre doctor life and a separate doctor life are the plurals he means?)’now the time has come to face all the choices I have made as the doctor’ feels like a true anthology kind of view and not just AG or new Who, but for me the killer is ‘the day I’ve been running from for all my life’ – as if he knew it was coming, as though he remembered it, but was hoping to avoid? – he remembers the encounter with an earlier version of himself(ves) Perhaps his whole life as the doctor is a paradox, an ‘impossible day’, perhaps running into impossible danger is a way of trying to avoid the destiny he has already seen.. I hate to say it, but it feels almost like a ‘restart’ of his entire timeline is now being hinted at to me.. But, the way this trailer looks and feels, I can’t wait, well done Moff!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sorry. I got it wrong about TNOTD trailer rumour – It’s not  tomorrow – Predicted for next Saturday or the Saturday after. Pretty obvious really, unless they plan to air it on the 22nd/23rd Nov…….

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Predicted for next Saturday or the Saturday after.

@wolfweed – or whenever they manage to coax Steven Moffat off the island in the underground lake. 😉

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@hudsey. Glad you agree that the words in the mini trailer are really very important. Totally with you on the notion that it may all be hinting at a restart of the entire timeline. Moffat likes to hide stuff in plain sight. I suspect that he has revealed quite a lot with the spoken word in this mini trailer.

Am sort of surprised that no one else is commenting on this. Oh, everyone in the UK is probably asleep. Well, yes, that would account for it.

janetteB @janetteb

@hudsey agree too and with @blenkinsopthebrave. It does seem to me that the trailor implies that TNotD will take us back to the beginning and deal with the time war as well as per @htpbdet‘s theory. (in the 50th anniversary thread) Apologies @blenkinsopthebrave for my tardy response being one of the few awake at this time but we didn’t watch the trailer until midafternoon when we could gather the entire family for the event and we had to head out shortly afterwards. I feel as though I need to watch the trailer at least twice more before making too many comments as there was clearly a lot packed into every frame.

Cheers

Janette

Timeloop @timeloop

Did they or did they Not Show the 50th Trailor?? In the one week I have no access to the internet?? If so could someone post a link where I can see it? Will stay longer in University to use the wifi if so. Pretty please let it be true (just skipped trough here during a break) and pretty please with a cherry on top post a link!

Cheers,

Timeloop

Anonymous @
    Timeloop @timeloop

Thanks dear @Shazzbot !<3

That trailer is amazing. So much detail in such a short time. Loved the color for the first one. The wig of eleven was dreadfully visible though.
    I agree that the wording is very imperative to the whole trailer. Beside the use of lives instead of life he could have used ‘our future depends on this…’ meaning really his live depends on this day. No wonder there is so much going oh in this 50th thread!

Cheers, will rewatch it to catch more detail,

Timeloop

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant Thanks for the link. They missed the (possible) crack in time at the end, but they did spot the Sontaran ship

thommck @thommck

I loved this trailer, unfortunately my YouView TV box doesn’t let you record adverts, just the scheduled programmes!
    Luckily I had paused it just before so I was able to rewind and rewatch until my wife told me to hurry up so we could get Atlantis over with (which btw was a very dull episode this week)!

My first impression was “CLUES!!!” but on second watch I felt the images are just a jumble in the Doctor’s timeline. Mostly for nostalgia purposes. I doubt what we saw in this appetite-whetter was anything like how the special episode will actually look.

I was surprised to see Clara featured so prominently and her godforsaken leaf is still floating around! Also, there seemed to be sonic weapon overload, so I guess that’s what he’ll be using to escape his timestream

My overall impression was that it was over way too quickly, I could have done with a 10 minute extended cut, with more slo-mo!

my YouView TV box

If it works the same as BT Vision box, you can add 5 mins at the end of a scheduled recording….

thommck @thommck

@IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan no it doesn’t have that feature unfortunately. Typical bit of technology that is insanely clever and completely dumb at the same time 😛

Anonymous @

@thommck – just taking every opportunity to point out the new item in the main menu, ‘Help‘.  (This was originally a PhaseShift blog which got promoted to the main menu in the latest upgrade.)

This explains why @pedant‘s @ name isn’t the same as his display name … well, no, it doesn’t do that, because who can explain that?!  🙂

Instead, it defines in the ‘Making a Comment’ section, how to check whether a display name is the same as an @ username.

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Timeloop @timeloop

@wolfweed Nice article! What would I do without you! I would submit to a Who-Newsletter from you ;D

“If it were up to me the BBC would only publicise Doctor Who and Sherlock,” says Moffat, “but I have to wait in line”
    Radio Times

Very likeable of him. Although it would make both shows much less interesing if they were accessible anytime we want to. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence… And Sherlock fans would be dust by now in comparison. Lucky I got in so late.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed – I love that they’ve painted the gates an old, worn TARDIS blue. 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip – Yes – & look: picture 3 has Oliver Owl, Sarah-Jane’s toy from ‘The Hand of Fear’.
    z

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    Anonymous @

@wolfweed — one has to wonder whether they would build a new TARDIS console just for the sake of a trailer. That must surely be going to be seen somewhere else too?

Nick @nick

@jimthefish

I think @wolfweed (probably) posted a pic of Mark Gattis with the (new) old style console a while back, so its probably been built for the drama-doc he’s written. It’ll be interesting to see whether they reuse it for something else (other than this).

Cheers

Nick

Anonymous @

@nick — yeah, that was my thinking too. But this is a Tom Baker-era console so it that’s the case then it looks like the docudrama is spreading a far wider timespan than we were initially given to believe….

@jimthefish – well, it is 90 minutes long. 🙂

So – we now know that they are in possession of a freshly made Hartnell-era console and a freshly made T. Baker-era console. They seem to have saved the Eccleston/Tennant console. That’s at least four consoles that we know of.

Five if they saved Smith’s first console.

Anonymous @

@Well, they still have it presumably as they’ve had it opened up for tours this summer, haven’t they? I’m sure they could have slipped in a bit of filming if needed. I hope they do. I love that console room. It’s my favourite of all of em….

Interesting though that if the docudrama spans multiple Docs, maybe we’ll be seeing Matt playing himself…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Quickly popping in – for some news that may be important to some. I’ll update the blog later, but find attached an article about cinema showings in the UK. It contains a tool to find your nearest cinema.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/10/cinema-screenings-uk-221013150008.html

For those going to the big convention: there are three cinemas that are in easy reach from the Excel: West India Quay, the O2 and Stratford. There are also four cinemas showing it in the centre of London.

ScaryB @scaryb

Thanks @phaseshift – oooh it’s all happening now (my Dutch friends aren’t going to be very chuffed though).

@bluesqueakpip @craig @juniperfish @Shazzbot What’s best for the London cinemas do you think (best screen, sound, 3D option(?) etc).  Are we going to try to co-ordinate a group visit? (or do you think there’s a chance the Excel will show it…?)

Timeloop @timeloop

Oh my God thanks @phaseshift ! There is a cinema in Berlin =3 <3!

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

There is still no information on the times of the screenings, so how are we supposed to know if we can attend the showings?

It seems that they are only interested in grabbing our money, and they are not being very efficient at doing that :mrgreen:

Timeloop @timeloop

@stevethewhistle Well the usual times. They won’t choose irregular screening times would they? Im sure there will be a primetime screening time maybe several times that day?

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

@timeloop

In these days of multi-screen cinemas, I am not sure if they have usual screening times. I can’t find any mentioned on the Vue Cinema web site.

…….and I am not sure if they will be charging their standard charges for a special event.

Timeloop @timeloop

@stevethewhistle Well to give you an example: heavy blockbuster movies are usually shown multiple times a day, starting 14:15 (…) 17.15 (…) 20.00, depending on the cinema chain. In your case you can see screening times of other movies here. A different expample with more of a timetable in general (although in german) is here.

I have read on a german page that advanced sales (is that the right context?) / pre-sales  are starting on the 25th. So hopefully not long to wait…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@stevethewhistle @timeloop @blenkinsopthebrave

I think most of the UK are going for Simulcast according to the article, and @timeloop is right in that tickets are going on sale the 25th.

That puts us within 30days of broadcast, and usually when details of timings for TV schedules start coming out (to make sure the monthly preview columns in magazines get them.

So hopefully we’ll have firm schedules for both TV and Cinema soon.

@blenkinsopthebrave

Reason I included you is that the article indicates a list of US and Canada cinema showings should be available in a couple of days, if you’re interested in that.

Anonymous @

@timeloop – I want to point you (and anyone else reading this thread) toward the new Help option in the main menu. In the ‘Making a Comment’ section, it describes how to properly @ mention another user, because the Display Name may not be the @ Name for every member of the Forum.

In this particular instance, SteveTheWhistle can only be @ mentioned by use of his @ name, @steve-thorp.

Let me know if the Help instructions are not clear so we can revise them to be more helpful.  Regards, Shazz.

Timeloop @timeloop

@Shazzbot Yeah I know. But I also remember that only a few users here have that feature, as it got too confusing when the number of users grew. I have not had a lot of direct contact with steve yet, so I did not remember it by heart. There is only a hand full of users with differentiated @names, like @pedant . Thanks anyway.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@phaseshift.

and Canada too! Hurrah!

Mind you…Mrs Blenkinsop and I are mulling over a quick trip to London in late November!

Timeloop @timeloop

@blenkinsopthebrave You too? =D Well, welcome to the club! Better decide fast – I had a look at hotels and hostels today and we don’t seem to be the only ones with that stroke of genius. I reckon Lodon will be quite full on that particular weekend!

@scaryb – it depends on whether the Excel is doing a showing; if I remember correctly quite a few people got Saturday tickets.

If not, for people coming from the Excel, I would guess that it would be easiest to go to either the showing at the 02. Then the showing at West India Quay. Both of them could be reached for a 7.30 start time from the finish of the Celebration.

ScaryB @scaryb

@bluesqueakpip

The Excel is keeping quiet!

Sounds like the o2 is the place to aim for… (I’ve moved nearer the centre of town by then (hotels near Excel on a Sat night are extorionate, even for London) but I’m happy to come back out if there are a few people from here planning to go (@Shazzbot – what’s your plans?)

Anonymous @

@scaryb @bluesqueakpip

My plans (after recovering from the Friday night knees-up … erm, ‘piss-up‘ as per @phaseshift  😆  ) are to have a luxurious ramble on Hampstead Heath with The Airedales on Saturday.  Complete with lunch at The Spaniard’s Inn. I’m being specific because it would be absolutely GRAND to have more DW Forum members with us rambling that day.

I won’t be sad to retire to my B&B Saturday night; but I’ll be ecstatic to have somewhere a bit more exhilarating to watch the 50th special that night.  But I don’t think I can impose on the dog-sitter even more, so … ‘baggage’ ** being what it is, I might have to decline a theatre invitation.

** for normal people, ‘baggage’ is real-life human children.  For me, it’s The Airedales.  Shoot me.  😀

thommck @thommck

@phaseshift @steve-thorp

I was unde the impression that the screenings would be a one-off to be “simulcast” (I hate that word) at the same time as the TV showing. I suppose it makes sense that the cinemas will re-screen it afterwards but I can’t imagine them doing it before!

Come to think of it, my brother works for a cineworld and normally gets to watch all the films before they are officially released. I wonder how early cinema staff could view TDotD? Could be very difficult to avoid spoilers if that’s the case, so perhaps they’ll delay the cinema screening time???

janetteB @janetteb

Just checked the nearest participating cinema to us and it has it down as screening at 4.00 pm and at 4.15 pm which is a little odd. It appears to be only screening on the 24th once or twice? Still I think you are right @thommck and the screenings will be a one off. Might well be a test of popularity though. If the screenings do well enough at the box office there might well be some serious thought put into producing a film. (Just as long as it is done by the BBC film dept.)

Lucikly our eldest will be past exams by then though he does have an 18th Birthday the night before. AT least he had a few hours to catch up on sleep.

Cheers

Janette

Nick @nick

@thommck

Very pertinent point. However, with the new(ish) digital based projectors I wonder if they can be streamed directly to via the web ?. If the BBC has to distribute multiple super quality DVDs (or whatever they use for the medium these days) then the logistic change will be an issue from a security point as well. I’d guess a day before courier service might be the latest it could be safely delayed to and even earlier for any overseas distribution.

I know from my personal dealings with the Cinema industry that it isn’t unusual to balance the digital sound/image with the particular screen to optimize the quality (loudness, surround sound balance etc) and this needs to be done before the screening. It seems to me that at least some cinema staff are therefore likely to see it before broadcast a la your Brother.

Nick

Timeloop @timeloop

@thommck @nick @janetteb

Got some more information today. No exact time yet, but I will be able to see it in 3D for hefty 16 Euros. We will start a bit later because they show a trailer rail before the actual movie =.=” .

I also found out that the trailer we saw is supposed to be actual film material. I saw pictures of it with the title “first impressions of the movie”.
    Did you know that Doctor Who is in the Guinness world records book for longest running science-fiction show?? I didn’t.

Nick @nick

@timeloop

I don’t think the trailer is related to the 50th episode directly, so I think the head line you read was misleading. I think there are some hidden clues mixed in with what is otherwise a celebration of the 50 years of the show to date. The trailer showed at Comicom in the US (which hasn’t been leaked so far as I know) did show real material though. I think its likely that this trailer will be shown in high resolution and 3D before the 50th though.

I’m not sure, but the only thing that’s been on the screen for longer than Who in the UK is Coronation Street (a Soap) and Sky at Night (monthly astronomy programme). Not sure about the US or anywhere else though.

Cheers

Nick

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed
Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 952 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (2)’ is closed to new replies.