The Next Doctor

Home Forums General The Next Doctor

This topic contains 924 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 925 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who

Now that Matt Smith has officially announced he is leaving after the Christmas episode, who do you think might make a great next incarnation? This topic is for speculation, not a place to post spoilers.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@craig. Thanks for taking up the suggestion.

Well, as I said a few minutes ago on the “Doctor Who News” thread, part of me would like to see an older Doctor. Nominations:

David Warner: He has the authority needed for the Doctor written all over him. He could be a stern Doctor, but he can do gentility and humour effortlessly.

Bill Nighy. Whimsy and humour simply pour out of the man! And he has this wicked gleam in his eye that seems tailor-made for the Doctor.

Helen Mirren: Is there anything she cannot do? She, like Bill Nighy and David Warner, would step into the shoes gracefully and effortlessly. (By the way, her gender is irrelevant. I was just watching “The Aztecs” again last night, and the whole show depends on Barbara being perceived to be the re-incarnation of a male Aztec god. It is explained with economy, the characters accept it, the viewer accepts it, and the show works brilliantly at all levels. If they could do that gender-switch in the early 60s, they could do it now.)

There are others that will come to me (after the second cup of coffee), but one thing to keep in mind about older actors is that they move…well…more slowly! The pace of the show would have to change, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not sure I have done it adequately above, but it would be great if our suggestion go with reasons why, or examples of previous work, as I confess to be out of touch with a lot of younger British actors. (What an old geezer admission!)

Anyway, time for the croissant and second cup of coffee and more thought.

Despite the Moff quote, I think they already know who the next Doctor is.

For production reasons alone (they will be shooting the Xmas special soon, so it is already written) it makes sense, but also the more I reflect the more I think Matt’s Doctor’s journey has come to a natural end. He is no longer the sole keeper of history; he has said goodbye to both the Ponds and River; he is no longer the poor lonely boy. He has friends.

Now he just needs to make peace with his heritage. And what better time to make peace than Christmas?

CraigNixon @craignixon

I jut swore, loudly. And woke my missus up!
    If we’re going  older – Patrick Stewart.
    Picard and The Doctor all in one.  Awesome!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Back with a caffeine-induced bonkers idea for the next Doctor. What if Moffat has already told us who it is, by leaving it in plain sight? What if the next Doctor really is…John Hurt?

It could be done in various ways. Either all of  season 8 could be all about the Time War, and it will tell the story of how the Hurt Doctor lost his right to be called the Doctor. In other words, season 8 will be out of sequence. Or, perhaps each and every Doctor actually knows about his future versions, and the 50th and the Christmas special will be about the Hurt Doctor redeeming himself with the aid of his previous versions, the 10th and 11th–to become the next Doctor. Or…well, there is only so much that coffee can do.

But…could it actually be John Hurt in some sort of timey-wimey way?

Peargrins @peargrins

What?  What?  Oh no, say it ain’t so!  Many of us seem to have “our” Doctor, and Matt Smith is mine.  No matter where he goes, in time, space, or emotion, he captivates me and takes me along for a great ride.  Ah well.  I guess this is part of being a Who fan.  And Who’s next?  Clueless…

elwingt @elwingt

Oh dear, I just went teary hearing about Matt leaving. I am definitely just a ‘New Who’ fan, and I loved Tennant and Eccles, but Matt became “my” Doctor. I think he will always be that. But I agree that it seems like a natural end for Eleven. His story arcs were very tied up with the Ponds and I don’t think he would ever be able to shake that. JLC and the Paternoster Gang helped, but it does seem like they are a great transition tool for the next Doctor.

I would love to see Helen Mirren cast as the Doctor, though I doubt she would have time for such an all consuming role. I trust Moffat and Gatiss with casting though. They’ve done some perfect work even with the guest stars on DW and of course Sherlock.

I’m looking forward to the 50th and will now gather many handkerchiefs for the Christmas special. I’m definitely going to be bawling on that one.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

Given the name of the thread… David Morrissey?  Andrew Scott, already got ties with Moffat? We know he can do dark (although I fully expect the Valeyard thing to have been dealt with by the end of the anniversary).  In all probability, someone I’ve never heard of.  Or John Hurt.

To follow up on the female Doctor speculation from the other day, I’d have loved to have seen Suranne Jones or Olivia Coleman, but as they’ve both been in the show now, it’s unlikely.  Natalie Robb as a long shot?  Always stuck in my mind after a turn in Sea of Souls.

Gutted to see Matt go, but as @pedant says, in retrospect it does feel his story is wrapping up.  Shame the news has broken, there seems to be a lot of tension being removed from the anniversary with these early reveals.

Case @case

I’d love a Bill Nighy Doctor. YES! – But then, they’d have difficulty explaining his appearance in the Musey D’Orsay in “Vincent and The Doctor.” lol

Whisht @whisht

oh bugger. Just caught up with the news.

will try and think of something more insightful, but maybe Moff’s not lying about not having cast yet, if the regen in the xmas special is right at the end.
    They wouldn’t need to write anything in particular for the new actor, just “… and new face is revealed. [end credits]”

btw did they have to release the news now, as they were casting and Smith accepting other work??

janetteB @janetteb

Still to shocked by the news to start considering actual replacements but some thoughts. I don’t really think a “big name” actor, ie Helen Mirren or Bill Nighy would be a good choice. They are fine actors but I think the role is best suited to an unknown, someone who can really “become” the Doctor as Matt did. Much though I liked Eccelston I don’t feel he really quite fitted the role as Tennant and Smith did. Also well established actors wouldn’t be able to make the time commitment required.

The only actor who comes to mind at the moment is John Noble but being Australian I think he is automatically out. The Doctor is quintessentially English.

cheers

sad Janette

Whisht @whisht

I agree @janetteb, we probably will say “Who??!?” when the next Doctor is announced.

However, don’t rule out Australian actors (if I can paraphrase)

“loads of planets have a south!”

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Despite the Moff quote, I think they already know who the next Doctor is.

@pedant: I think so too. And I think it’s a woman. It seems from last night that there are rumours of castings going around – I reckon they’re calling people in for the next Companion. Male people – because they don’t want an all-female TARDIS.

This is not to say it’s definitely Coleman, despite my well known bonkers theory. 🙂 But looking at Moffat’s story-arc over the past four years:

• He’s used Amy and Rory’s relationship to see what worked and what didn’t in a duo where the female is the pro-active, adventurous partner.
    • He’s used River Song to play around with a female ‘Doctor-type’ character. Again, I’d say he’s been seeing what does and doesn’t work.
    • The strong implication of Name of the Doctor was that Eleven is the last of his line. He’s probably not sticking to this literally – but metaphorically, if Eleven’s the last in the unbroken line of male Doctors, that makes perfect sense.If he’s not actively casting a female Doctor, he’s certainly been thinking very seriously about it.
    chickenelly @chickenelly

I’m still waiting for my caffeine to kick in, but in my bleary eyed condition I could have sworn I heard on BBC Breakfast that Jose Mourhino was the new Doctor Who.  Maybe Matt Smith is the new manager of Chelsea?

ScaryB @scaryb

It’s River!!!!

ScaryB @scaryb

Ooops, too much excited caffeine consumption!

Thanks @blenkinsopthebrave for the considered post.

I think Bill Nighy ruled out – he’s on record as saying he was offered it but turned it down because of all the baggage that comes with it. I think a lot of established actors would have the same problem. OTOH to be the first female Dr might just be enough to entice an established female actor.

@chickenelly – I’d say your caffeine’s alrady kicking in

chickenelly @chickenelly

Turns out Jose Mourinho isn’t going to be the new Doctor.  I suspect he’s holding out for the Master.

misspawsintime @misspawsintime

Well it had to happen! But a bit of a shock when i heard on radio last night. Our Matt is leving Dr Who.. and so soon!!! However, he has done his tenure well and i really do wish him luck… I had doubts to start with such an unknown but he has that real knack of acting much older then his years and that suits the role very well.

However, all this speculation, i have some ideas that new “Dr” are already being lined up and there is absolutely no way it can be someone we know well. The committment required for this show that takes over your life (apparently nine months of shooting) allows little room for someone who has already in the limelight.. What i want to see is a complete unknown again, Mr Moff has a great talent in finding such hidden gems, and i firmly believe that the show can “make an actor” and give a chance of a unknown actor to grown and move on to the future… I also think we should stuck with a fairly young actor mainly because of the companion and the way that it helps with the story line. I am not quite sure we are yet ready for a female doctor though…

Its a shame we have not really got to know Jenna LC in her role with Matt for longer, is this the shortest time a new companion has had with an existing Dr? We are not really sure of her character as it is with all this “impossible girl”…

There has to be some long term story arc for the new Dr and i wonder if there is still some hidden agenda.. If we see the fall of the 11th, then what does that leave the 12th? He has to have  a long term story arc to tell and maybe the 50 th will leave un answered questions that the new Dr can follow.. Otherwise we will loose the enjoyment of a long term story arc as with the 11th (Amy Pond/River and Clara and the fall of the 11th)… which i suppose we have now all just about seen… I do wonder what Moff has up his sleeve.. But beearing in mind that they have such a huge lead time on production and stories, they obviously knew about this some time ago and for all we know series 8 was always going to be for a new Dr…

So with a few teary eyes.. it was bound to happen and we will get to know another Dr.. but i think that Matt has left us alot to look back on and enjoy (and we do have the specials etc)…. He did his bit well and i just hope that the Moff does equally as well finding the next Dr…

ScaryB @scaryb

male Dr nominee – Idris Elba?

overunder @jamesunderscore

I’ve already said in the 50th thread that I think Sheridan Smith would make an excellent female doctor – she’s a staggeringly versatile actor and could really make the role her own.

If we’re going with blokes again, then I still think Paterson Joseph would be good – he was talked about a fair bit last time before Matt was announced, and he has great comic timing. Now with added benefit of chin continuity!

Also, despite the fact he’s American, I think  Terry O’Quinn could give an interestingly mercurial take on the character, but he’d have to play it with a British accent so I think that’s probably just fantasy casting!

@scaryb – I briefly considered Idris Elba, but I don’t think his kind of hulking menace would be right for the Doctor really.  I’d love to see him on the show in a supporting role though, he’s mezmerising.

ScaryB @scaryb

@chickenelly – LOVE your new headgear

@bluesqueakpip @pedant and others – yes, I agree, they are very likely to have already cast. The rumours about Matt have been circulating for a while and we have been feeling his arc coming to the end of a cycle. It also explains the gap between now and series 8. Would be nice if they could sit on it till after the 50th, but that’s probably a bit unlikely.

I’m not in favour of casting someone just for their gender or skin-colour but for the show’s credibility – to be truly groundbreaking – they really need to find someone different from a white male. But it has to be about the actor – no tokenism.  For an established white male actor, the role has a lot of downsides, but for anyone not fitting that profile, it’s a chance to be the first, to trailblaze. But as I’ve said before, they’ll need nerves and skin of dalekanium (or dwarf star alloy!)

@jamesunderscore  Elba could act anything IMHO; there again he’s playing Mandela in new bio-pic this year so probably just moved out of range

ScaryB @scaryb

Posted this yesterday, but it’s worth repeating on here. Sydney Newman’s views on how to reivive Dr Who in 80s (They asked his advice but didn’t take it)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@chickenelly “What in the name of sanity have you got on you head?” 🙂

@juniperfish arrives here to sob uncontrollably for a while. I know it had to happen, because it always has to happen, but oh Smithy I will miss you SO terribly much.

<waves hello to @misspawsintime>

@craig – Shouldn’t we have a “Tribute to the Eleventh Doctor” page? Or is it better to wait on that until the <huge sob> time of his regeneration draws near?

I can’t think about the next Doctor yet <gulp> I need a cup of strong coffee myself <attempts to nick some of @scaryb ‘s>.

Can they really be going for a regeneration story at Christmas? Regeneration is a traumatic event for young fans and the Christmas eps are usually light. Heh heh, prepare for “dark Christmas”…! Or maybe it will be a joyful regeneration freely chosen this time?

Brynwe @brynwe

No! He’s so cute!  My life is over!  My boyfriend is trying to calm me down but I am inconsolable.

chickenelly @chickenelly

@juniperfish

To mark the solemn occasion, I’m in mourning hence my black Victorian bonnet.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Even Shatner is interested. Do you think he watches regularly?

ScaryB @scaryb

<makes fresh cups of coffee for @juniperfish @chickenelly and any one else who wants one; passes out hankies *sniffs* >

@craig LOL @Shatner Whoess!!! Aaagh :razz: He certainly knows how to get himself retweeted ;-)  (Presumably he’s not putting himself up for it!)

And yes to the other people who have posted re John Hurt – that would be so funny, if they’ve already announced the new Dr – hiding in plain sight wouldn’t begin to cover it! And if it’s to be a traditional white male, I would have NO problem with Hurt

And for goodness sake, can SOMEONE give Smithy and this show a f*ckn AWARD this year!!

ScaryB @scaryb

PS @craig Great pic choice for this thread (nice juggling around there). And thanks also to @blenkinsopthebrave for suggesting it

Brynwe @brynwe

@chickenelly it’s definitely appropriate!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Also heartbroken. And I agree the next doctor should be older. Smith and Tennant played very different doctors, but I think there is a limit to how many different ways a young looking, very energetic doctor can be played, especially if he remains male. (I’d love to see a female doctor, and yes, I do think it’s possible.)

But if male, how about Richard Coyle? (Going Postal, the Libertine, Strange, Topsy-Turvy, Coupling)

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Thanks @scaryb – coffee can’t heal a broken heart, but it helps!

@chickenelly Ah, nice touch.

Right, I am going to crawl under a rock and SULK 🙂

misspawsintime @misspawsintime

Another thought! Although i am not sure female Dr could work  at this moment in Dr Who.. I wonder if this has given further credit to Clara turning out to be the Dr in some bonkers theory idea? And all the casting is not for a new Dr but a new companion?

There was alot of posts on the NOTD thread about Clara/River/Doctor and Clara/Dr scenerios… But seeing as that thread went to 1000 plus posts i have not found the theories…

BTW love  to see all these new members

Timeloop @timeloop

BTW What a fiasco that major slips happened twice. There has been some speculation the sending of the DVD’s has been calculated risk. But this news would ususally have poped after the 50th….. They have been so good hiding things on other occasions. Imagine the day of the person who made the mistake… Personal time with SM for sure.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @misspawsintime – definitely there’s been plenty of speculating on JLC as next Doctor.
    I’ll admit that I said I think that the actress is more than capable, but that I thought that having her first as a companion and then ‘promoting’ to Doctor would be unfair, and hamper her.

Now… not so sure. But I do think I’d rather they were brave and simply cast, rather than sneak in, as I just think it undermines the confidence in the actress and show.

Presuming JLC is not the next Doctor, I’m curious to see who they do cast as he/she will have to be a very strong actor. From what she’s done so far, JLC has played the role as a much smarter and stronger companion than many previous ones (eg Rose, Martha, Donna to an extent and even pre-gap). She’s not a screamer (thank god) nor a “But I don’t understaaaaannnnnnd…”.

The dynamic of two women in the Tardis with ol’ Sexy would also be interesting… (before the obligatory pretty boy in a short skirt joins them, “for the dads”)

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Hmm… The Radio Times (more or less the BBC’s unofficial magazine) has an article on who should replace Matt with some serious and some not-so-serious suggestions. David Bowie anyone?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-06-02/who-should-replace-matt-smith-as-the-doctor-10-quick-suggestions

But they also had an article and ran a poll a month ago on whether Lara Pulver from Sherlock should be the next Doctor. Testing the waters?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-05-01/doctor-who-should-sherlocks-lara-pulver-become-a-time-lady

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop What makes you think this announcement hasn’t been completely planned and managed? Looks very planned to me. They finish series 7.2, wait till the speculation over the massive reveal of Hurt has died down a bit, then announce Matt’s leaving.  If nothing else, Matt’s schedule for  next year would have prompted some speculation fairly soon. Anyone know when series 8 filming is planned? (Could be as late as early 2014 if they want to really keep it under wraps. I’ve seen specualtion that it’s not due till after April).

ScaryB @scaryb

LOL @whisht‘s “the obligatory pretty boy in a short skirt joins them, “for the dads“”

@craig – I’m really loving the unhinged comments on the Radio Times articles:

” BBC would do the mistake of its life by changing The Doctor’s sex. Don’t know about more recent viewers, some are like part of some Moffat’s cult, and would carry on with whichever stupid change he makes to the show, but I would definitely stop watching it FOR GOOD.”

Seriously, do us all a favour and follow through.

Another good one is:

“thnk of all the parents who wold have to explain to their little children” (spelling mistakes a result of the original author’s frenzied typing, not mine!)

Yes, because children who already understand and accept the idea that a man can change into another completely different man, but still be the same person, will really struggle with the idea that he can change into a woman. Jesus.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig  That radio times article is hysterical – Interesting that Jose Mourinho seems to be emerging as something of a front runner. What was that you said earlier @chickenelly?

ScaryB @scaryb

@jamesunderscore Welcome to the dark underbelly of Who fandom (and that is the fairly civilised bit you are seeing). If the show does find the right actor in a non-white and/or non-male actor – you know what? Good riddance to them! I hope they shake themselves into complete disintegration with their righteous indignation 😉

Timeloop @timeloop

@scaryb I think they would have announced it differently. I dont think this was planned.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb @timeloop It was actually strongly rumoured on Twitter a couple of days ago. The people announcing it said that someone at the BBC had cc’d about 200 people they shouldn’t have on an email that said Matt was leaving. You can checkout @IanLevine’s page for more info.

I think their hand was forced.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig @timeloop Ooops!  Stormy tantrummy Moff then

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Here are the main tweets:

Timeloop @timeloop

@craig What a nice guy this Ian Levine is. He can really keep a secret…

Tiddler @tiddler

If he really wants to be ginger this time, what about Julian Rhynd-Tutt? Damian Lewis would be another interesting red-head, but maybe too successful already for the time commitment required.

chickenelly @chickenelly

@scaryb

That radio times article is hysterical – Interesting that Jose Mourinho seems to be emerging as something of a front runner. What was that you said earlier @chickenelly?

Well, thinking about it now that I’ve woken up, it does all fit in spookily.  Old Abramovic will be foiled again when Jose chooses to go off to the Tardis instead.  However bear in mind that he’ll sell off JLC and buy a more expensive companion.  Ronaldo perhaps?

Hang on, Alex Ferguson is free!  And he’s Scottish!  He’d be a shoo-in for those Scottish stereotypes/characteristics the Moff likes to slip into Who.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

If anyone fancies a bet, here are the odds

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-rupert-grint-russell-1927048

Simon Cowell at 250/1 !!!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Can they really be going for a regeneration story at Christmas?

@juniperfish – my bet would be that they’re going for a regeneration at the end of the 50th. The Christmas Special is introducing the new Doctor. Matt Smith is really playing The Ghost of Doctors Past.  😀

Oh, is that a coatstand over there?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 925 total)

The topic ‘The Next Doctor’ is closed to new replies.