Dr Who News (4)

Home Forums General Dr Who News (4)

This topic contains 1,043 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  JimTheFish 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 1,044 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

@winston:

Sounds just like my reaction. I dare say we’ll get used to the new Doctor, as long as (in MY opinion) He isnt’ a She! In that case why not a RobYn Hood, or a Shirley Holmes or even Spider Woman. One could even have Brenda Baggins? *rolls eyes*

Why can’t people simply leave things alone.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  No, no, Billie Baggins, or maybe Wilamette.   Think, Granny Weatherwax in her youth, about to set off and gain wisdom and experience.  Saurona, the Devilish Dame?  But what’s wrong with “Spider Woman?”

People can’t leave things alone because things, and people, and times change, and so do expectations.  TV is marketed to people, so people with more flexible views on gender roles etc. lean in new directions, and it’s marketing’s job to assent, at least in part, or lose its clout, its success, and its programme.   Helen Mirren played Prospera in a recent film of “The Tempest”; some people hated it.  Some people loved it and found it revelatory.  I just read a review of an all-female production of the same play set in a women’s prison — approbation, for ambition as well as accomplishment.  And what famous stage character is more masculine, as customarily perceived, than Prospero, with his (momentarily eclipsed) high political status, his magic wand and Book of Spells, his innocent daughter, his absent wife, his untermensch slave Caliban?  And yet . . . why *not* Helen Mirren?

If you were a serf in medieval France, you’d have nothing much to complain about (apart from near constant warfare and the odd plague or two).  You would do what your father or mother did, and the Church told you what to think and when to think it, and if you didn’t then best keep your mouth shut.  Those were (relatively) slow-moving times.  These are a whirlwind of rapid change.  We’ll leave things alone when we’re dead, I suppose.

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

You aren’t by any chance  an admirer of Terry Pratchett? If you are, may I compliment you on your excellent taste/

I’ve got all the Disc World books, one of which is signed. He is the only person I have met, who pronounced my name correctly without me telling him.

Mmm, it isn’t that I don’t like change, unless it’s just for change sake, I simply prefer a male Doctor. I quite enjoyed the Tempest and I find it interesting when they moderise Shakespeare, as long as it is done well. My fingers are crossed that a Male actor gets the part.

Missy

winston @winston

@missy and @ichabod    The writers have of course showed us that Time Lords do sometimes change gender when they regenerate so the door has been opened for that possibility. Since so many fans seem to be so  against the idea maybe not yet eh. But why not a female Doctor? She would still be the Doctor with all those other Docs inside her.Who nose?

winston @winston

@missy  I don’t like too many changes myself. At my age I find change upsets the whole system so to speak. So why is my favourite thing a series about a person who completely regenerates into someone new every few years? I must like to punish myself.

Missy @missy

@winston:  You are only human. *grins* No female, because I don’t want it – simple. An example was The Kings Speech. I know this wasn’t a gender change but bear with me. Colin Firth looked nothing like George the 6th, which spoiled my enjoyment of the film. I fear the same reaction if we get a woman Doctor.

The proof – as they say – is in the pudding.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@winston  But why not a female Doctor?

Well, I can offer a generalization derived from what I’ve seen on reddit, Den of Geek, etc.  The Doctor is still around, still the object of intense, heartfelt discussion and waspish rage, and that means the figure of the Doctor has power.  Cultural power.  And power cast consistently in male form up until now, with a secondary role offered to female viewers through the companion.  Moffat can insist that the stories are actually more about the companions — the Doctor’s effect on them, their maturing as people through their working with him, and often opposing him with good reasons that they perhaps have never had occasion to think out and articulate before.  But — ultimately the powerful figure, the time traveler with the brain and the box who can talk his way out of almost anything — that figure is tried and true western male authority figure.  People who find that kind of leadership comfortable and comforting — whatever their gender own gender — don’t want to give up the power of that figure, and the security they feel with it, for what feels like either unknown territory (“how can a woman be that figure effectively with all that — that physical stuff, the tyrannical ovaries and the bobbing top load that’s so distracting, etc. etc.?”) or, worse, feeling control of the cultural discourse being “taken over” by — MOM (omg the *nagging*), or some teacher telling you not to smoke, or that weary female bureaucrat who can deny your application for X.

People rarely voluntarily give up power, or even the illusion of power, that they rely on to keep control of cultural discourse so that it can’t change from what reassures them.  It will change, in time, unless we bomb each other back into the Stone Age, literally (always an option, alas).

Meanwhile, I’ve liked my Doctor masculine, so far (though there have been moments of massive Ick).  The basic paradigm is wobbly (and that, IMO, is all to the good), but it still works for most of us in fiction.  On the other hand, I’m a curious person, and I’d love to see what a female Doctor would be like that’s different from what the male Doctors have been like — and what’s the same.  Some fascinating choices would be forced on the writers, and the actor, all of which would be offensive to some fans and maybe some offensive to all fans (as I’ve said elsewhere, I want to know which actors really want to get into this conflagration, because no matter who it is, a conflagration of protest, outrage, and resentment is sure to follow).

In a way, Steven Moffat has forced us all to acknowledge what has been true for some time — that gender on modern DW is, like gender all over western culture and media, a hot potato that will get you a bashing on no matter what you do (in double servings where race is brought into the discussion).

And about time too, IMO.  The producers must get up to speed with what’s on people’s minds, or see the show dwindle into triviality and irrelevance.  Like it or not, we’ve got huge changes carrying us forward with lots more to come; and exactly the kind of furious backlash that huge change draws by its nature.  My money is on change.   Backlash digs its heels in; but change never stops.  And the Doctor lives and dies by the understanding about this of his creators and enactors.

A female Doctor?   A POC Doctor?  Sure, bring it on.  I think the show can survive that — and, in fact, thrive on it.

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  — Pratchett?  I’ve got all his books too.  An all around good guy, gladly remembered, though sorely missed.

winston @winston

@ichabod    Those were very insightful comments on the gender issue. I would not envy the female actor who was the first female Doctor but like you I am curious about what she would be like and what the writers would make of her. Having two beautiful, smart granddaughters makes me crave good strong female role models for them. Oh well maybe someday.

ichabod @ichabod

@winston   Happy to hear it.  I’ve been reading and writing about these issues for a long time now, and I think the best ways for me to get at it is through the big picture shifts.  Right now these earthquakes are rolling through, and they’re carrying whole masses of people with them: forward wave, and frightened, angry backlash, with lots of cross-currents to confuse the situation.  When this stuff happens, I think individual experience takes a back seat — something many Americans, with our institutionalized and unrealistic worship of individualism, just hate to hear.  But, you know, the “Global warming is a lie because it’s 32 degrees and snowing on my house right now ” is just childish gibberish that has no meaning in the wider context of the world — that “Global” part.

I hope for the best, for all our grandkids — boys some see as cannon fodder, girls they see as kitchen slaves popping out children for the glory of their wretched God-fantasy.  At this point, literally everyone has everything to lose, including the dunderheads who think they’re winning.  With luck and effort maybe enough of humanity will understand in time, and back sanity.

Bah; rant over!  I’ve got grandkids too.  I fear for them.  But I hope for them, too.

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

We have 5 grandchildren, and like you, we can only hope for the return of sanity. All people have to do is, sit down and talk

Missy

MissRori @missrori

I don’t feel I’m passionately on any particular side of the multifaceted issue of female/POC/etc. Doctors at this point.  I’ve heard good arguments on many sides of the debate, including at conventions.  At Wizard World Las Vegas at a panel about Doctor Who‘s female characters, there was a lot of support for the idea.  At Wizard World Chicago at a panel about diversity in “genre” media, the panelists I talked to about this issue liked the idea, but also pointed out that a white man who uses brains more than brawn/firepower is a relatively rare protagonist in these kind of shows!

I think I’ll just wait and see what happens, myself.  😉

Missy @missy

@missrori: That’s all all of us can do.

There are rumours *sigh* that Kris Marshall may have the job. If so, I think he’d be good at it, as would Ben Miller.

Hey, ho, speculation gets us nowhere, but it’s all we’ve got until there’s an official announcement.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

Right @missy, and the word on the street is that it will be at least a few months of waiting on the announcement.

janetteB @janetteb

@missrori and @missy.  I doubt they have even began auditions for the role yet and there will not be an announcement until after the next series.

Cheers

Janette

Missy @missy

Great news came in 11 minutes ago, Peter Capaldi came second in world wide BBC poll, as DoctorWho.

Benedict Cumberbatch  came first as Sherlock

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  Oh, that’s great news!  Nice for Cumberbatch and well-earned, but important in a different way for Capaldi.  So much for the naggers and haters who’ve been saying things like, “Capaldi is killing the show — because all those international fans of the Doctor love it for Tennant or Smith, not Capaldi”  because “He’s too old!” or “His Doctor is too cold and mean!” etc.  I hope these moaners aren’t (as has been suggested) mostly teen-aged tumblristas defensively fixated on their favorite, David Tennant; how embarrassing that would be, for anyone who ever was a teen-aged girl!

Which reminds me; I do wonder how Capaldi feels about all this now.  I hope the positives outweigh the negatives; but that’s usually complicated for people who are granted their lifelong wish and then have to deal with all the elements of it — the downside as well as the imagined (and the real) upside, of living it out in reality.  He did say, coming in, that he wanted to play the Doctor “as long as they’ll have me.”  Apparently, BBC did ask him to stay for S11 (although that may be a face-saving lie).  But he’s decided not to after all, and I haven’t seen any discussion of what he might do next (the way Jenna was already signed on for Victoria when she left).

This poll results should be a strong lift for him; I hope so!

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

Capaldi earned his too. How can people say that he was *too cold?* Obviously, they haven’t been watching the series.

Face the Raven Heaven Sent. Hell bent, to name a few -COLD?

Give me strength!

Missy

MissRori @missrori

@missy  Yeah, cold is no word for Twelve!

“The Return of Doctor Mysterio” came out on DVD today in the U.S. and I made sure to pick up a copy at my local “big box” store.  (Hmmm, I don’t remember DW being so easy to find at the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world in the days of Tennant and Smith…those places, they only stock what the masses want…)   😉

Along with the special, there’s a short featurette that must have aired on the Beeb in the runup to its premiere, “A New Kind of Hero”, in which the Doctor — Twelve specifically — is compared and contrasted to the traditional costumed superhero by the cast and crew.  Moffat points out at one juncture that Twelve is “the most emotionally exposed” of the Doctors.  He goes on to say that, paraphrased, if Twelve sometimes comes off as cold, it’s because feeling deep emotions is painful for him and he’s trying to steel himself against them.  WOW!

The featurette made my eyes misty, to be honest…it could be used as a sort of “defense witness” for Twelve and Capaldi!

MissRori @missrori

Also @ichabod, I think the claims that Capaldi/Twelve is not popular internationally are hogwash.  BBC America has enjoyed excellent ratings by American basic cable standards for his tenure from my understanding, and in the U.S., it is not easy for any television show to draw in viewers on a Saturday night.  Most American networks don’t program fresh material for Saturdays anymore.  (“The Magician’s Apprentice”‘s American debut ranked third in its time slot across all channels for that night, behind only a college football game and the series finale of the beloved Univision variety show Sabado Gigante.)

I wonder if Capaldi’s fanbase is less noisy and brash than those of Tennant and Smith…

@missrori

Or just more grown up.When you’ve been around the track as many times as a few of us here, you just adopt a CBA attitude to the worst fuckwittery.

Anonymous @

@missrori @pedant

Yeah, true, but the CBA attitude does need to lead to strong social conversations. So the twits aren’t the only ones being radical.

Mum has  me typing this out (its from West Wing Season 4 and she’s memorised it which could mean some of its round the wrong way):

I’m not going to apologise for what I believe. It’s like we need some therapy because someone came along  and said ‘Liberal means soft on crime, soft on Communism, soft on drugs and we’re gonna tax you back to the stone age because people don’t have to work if they don’t want to.’ And instead of saying ‘well, excuse me you right wing reactionary, xenophobic, homophobic, anti-intellectual, anti-education, pro-gun, anti-choice, Leave it To Beaver- trip- back- to- the- 50s’ we cowered in the corner and said ‘please don’t hurt me.’ I’m not embarrassed to believe what I believe.”

So I think we need to take hold of those opinions about Doctor Who and Peter Capaldi and share them.

Thankyou, Thane.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@thane15

It does not matter whether puro remembered the quote from The West Wing correctly, because what she said is 100% correct.

As an expat, there are things I am deeply ashamed of about Australia (Manus Island, the legacy of the White Australia Policy, which has become part of our collective DNA and has never really gone away–did I mention Manus Island?) but there is also much of which I am enormously proud (the history of social egalitarianism, the self-deprecating sense of humour, the institution of compulsory voting). But what is happening now (and happening very quickly) requires…resistance.

How we express that depends on the circumstances, but, as someone who was born in the 1950s, I have never seen anything quite as bad (for political cultures like the one I grew up in) as I am seeing at present.

Perhaps that is because I now live so close to the US border, but I think not.

@thane15, please say hi to puro for me.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

Oh dear, yes says Puro. She’s reading with me (I’m having a mental health day from school today -assignments and stupidity). Thank you and  <waves to Mr Blenkinsop > Puro says:
    Firstly, thank you and also your comments on the Sherlock thread were very interesting. Secondly, two episodes of QandA in the last fortnight highlighted the inexplicable and domineering rise of  the Young Liberals which are enslaved to an idea of low taxes, merit -based teaching; an inability to have humour (seemingly); user-pays (without appreciating the very idea of ‘user’ as suggested by Gough Whitlam for instance) and “my back yard First” as opposed to “let’s understand immigration and shun the concept of ‘get in the queue’ ” -an impossibly stupid or non-existent concept. People like Jacquie Lambie who are proponents of such thinking only underline social discrimination; superficial and base or aberrant thinking; as well as confirmation bias.

I agree with Puro too (what I understand of it!). And with you. Mum and my uncle always spoke of the “fair go Mate” idea in this country and that’s not something I see too often. People are skewed into thinking a certain way because of fear tactics (I think, anyway) and because they confuse affluence with wealth. When I listen to the impossible ideas of some of these people I really do worry for my generation and the one after that. It is good to hear that our out-going Doctor has a real investment in our generation and was involved in interviews and marches against the new President of the U.S. More people involved in acting and producing should be involved. The world of arts and cinema always had a hand in social investment: whether it was the film Metropolis or Charlie Chaplin’s The Great Dictator. Two of Puro’s favourite films.

Thank you,

Thane

Missy @missy

@missrori:

I saw DM advertised, but have been caught before. twice I’ve bought the special only to find it  included in the series box set.

Damn!  I shall have to wait to see “A New Kind of Hero”.

Thanks for sharing anyway.

Missy

@Thane15

When I listen to the impossible ideas of some of these people I really do worry for my generation and the one after that

Then get engaged and get involved.

MissRori @missrori

@missy I understand.  That gets me to thinking how long we’ll have to wait for the Complete Series 10 box set, because it wouldn’t surprise me if they did the same thing they did with Series 9 — wait until after the 2017 Christmas special/finale for Twelve has aired and then pull everything together!  With that in mind, I’m more forgiving that they’d like to get a “budget” release of DM out now.

Missy @missy

@missrori: My eyes will be peeled!

Missy

MissRori @missrori

BBC America’s just posted a new 30-second teaser for Series 10, which is up at YouTube.  It teases a bunch of old and new enemies at the end.  🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

Teaser for season 10, not that it is a particularly informative

Nevertheless, a little light relief, considering that I am now re-immersed in a serious piece of historical/archaeological research which I had, to my shame, been neglecting for some time.  I ran into an old acquaintance last week who has offered to facilitate my access to the archives of an Oxford College, and my enthusiasm has been re-ignited

MissRori @missrori

Interestingly, this teaser is already sparking speculation that poor Bill is going to be killed off to better set up a “clean slate” for Series 11 (Pearl Mackie isn’t contracted for multiple seasons).  I don’t see it happening, mainly because Twelve himself is going to regenerate at the end of it all, and having all that death/”death” at once would be wearying.  I’d rather hope that everybody, most of all Twelve, gets a gloriously happy ending instead before a more melancholy Christmas show.

Or maybe the regeneration story will find a way to be gloriously happy…i.e., Twelve gets to the Promised Land at last and “dies” content.  Or the memory wipe is lifted and he can be happily reunited with Clara for a while, because he was owed it.  Or he reconciles with the Time Lords and/or Ohila, who beg his forgiveness for their heartless treatment of him in his dark time.  Or…  😉

winston @winston

<p>@mudlark  It is great to have new enthusiasm about your research. I hope the archives prove useful in you work and admit to some small envy. As a Canadian with British roots, it is my dream ( not yet my budget) to visit the UK and explore and of course Oxford is on my list.</p><p>     @missrori   I also hope the Doctor has a good regeneration.</p>

@mudlark. Like @winston, I wish you well on your new project. I suspect that what we all three have in common is reaching an age where previous academic (or other) employment no longer provides the opportunity for such scholarly pursuits, and they have to be achieved by more circuitous routes. I am starting a new (historical/legal) project under similar limitations, but if that is the background you are used to, it is also the thing that keeps you going.

I suppose this is a topic more suited to The Molvodarium, so I should say something more Who-related. And it is that I am strangely keen for the new Chibnall series, on the assumption that it will provide a whole new take on Who. My preference would be a return to the beginning–the focus on science and history that they did with Hartnell. That seems strangely relevant in a world of alternative facts.

Yet perhaps even that comment should have been “On the Sofa”. Oh dear, still on the wrong thread…

Missy @missy

@missrori:

Or the memory wipe is lifted and he can be happily reunited with Clara….or River Song? Unlikely.

@blenkinsopthebrave:

It  doesn’t matter. Here is as good as anywhere.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@mudlark   A new project — super!  I’m still ruminating on my dreams these days, feeling that, yes, there’s a new story in there someplace, trying to get out . . .

@blenkinsopthebrave   I’d love to see more historical adventures, keeping in mind that the research and costuming must be pretty difficult and expensive to do on the sort of schedule they keep.

As for CapDoc’s end — I have trouble thinking about it, really.  We just had a *sort* of a regeneration at the end of S9 — “This is right.  I accept it.”  But that was part of “making amends”.  I just can’t seem to make my head go there this time.  Luckily, I don’t have to; Moffat and Capaldi will imagine it for me, and I trust them both.

The Fisher King has passed away. Only 36.

@ichabod
    I was re-watching “Vincent and the Doctor” a couple of days ago. It is a brilliant example of a historical story told in the same spirit of very early Hartnell Who, such as “The Aztecs”, where both stories deal with the inability to change the past, and how one must sometimes accept that things just don’t turn out the way you would like them to. I think the Vincent episode demonstrates that you can still do historical stories in a way that captures the spirit of the Sydney Newman/Verity Lambert years. And when you look at an episode like “Vincent”, you can also do it quite cheaply.

Of course fantasy is fun and humour is fun, but part of the enduring legacy and importance of Who surely lies in its early educational brief, and the way it made education fun and exciting for children. And in a world of alternative facts, where we are told that “we have had enough of experts”, that seems more necessary than ever.

ichabod @ichabod

@blenkinsopthebrave  Excellent example — thanks for reminding me.

@pedant  Sorry to hear about the Fisher King . . .

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

I agreed with you completely. “experts” are considered, in some places, bad. Here in Oz, though there’s a big progress against that. I can see it in the school work -to some extent where sources and analysis is everything. Which is good. But it’s also hard. I have an exam shortly about exactly that. There’s a show -made or filmed by Year 12s called ‘My big Year 12 year.’ I was really interested then I started to panic and THEN when I really watched it again it seemed that half or most of the problems were caused by themselves. One girl gets everything she wants. In fact for no real reason she’s given a new $40 000 car. But in WA, a guy who’s 16 is responsible for getting himself to school and ends up going to bed late (due to a paid job or the opposite -mucking about) and rarely gets to school on time. Also, the stuff they actually complain about is SO stupid it’s making me worry about the total IQ of these students.

Jeepers I hope I can increase my own brain in the next one and half years. Or else….”mum will run me over even if I’m dead” (source: one of the Chinese Australians who is actually on top of the work). Also, another fairly smart boy believes in time travel and would very much like to have a Tardis (thank goodness I located that piece of information) so he could spend eight hours a day studying physics. 🙂

I also found out about the Fisher King on youtube but @pedant thank you for putting that  up on the news section. I didn’t realise he was THAT tall. And so very young. I think it makes a person appreciate the power of every single day.

Off to English (which I dread) -Media Studies.

Missy @missy

@pedant  That’s no age at all.  How very sad.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

@ichabod I know how you feel about Twelve’s regeneration, and you make an interesting point about his getting a sort of one with the mind wipe.   It’s just that this Doctor hasn’t had his “day in the sun” yet.

He hasn’t ended a season in glory, even bittersweet glory.  Both Series 8 and 9 leave him abandoned, alone, and with no one even shaking his hand thanking him for his noble deeds and sacrifice, or comforting him in his sorrow.  Nothing but unjust loss, while villains get away, backstabbers reap the spoils of his pain, and those he saves do not repay him.  Series 9 saw everyone fail to be there for him in his hour of greatest need.  Why?  Is it because he’s “old and ugly”?  Do they not truly love him?

Since there isn’t much hope that his final Christmas special can make amends for whatever suffering he’ll endure this season (the way the previous ones did), unless they take a really unconventional approach to it, Series 10 must do the job.  IMO, the universe must prove it loves this incarnation of the Doctor as much as it loved the others.  He must have his day, and receive what he is owed at last.

MissRori @missrori

Or, inspired by suggestions I’ve read on this forum…

Perhaps Twelve’s last Christmas special will prove how loved he is by doing something like “Journey’s End” or “The End of Time”‘s denouement, where all of the key Moffat-era companions and recurring and/or beloved secondary characters come back, either to help him or to be there as he regenerates.

Yes, this means Amy and Rory Pond would return, along with Clara Oswald and River Song — plus Idris, the Paternoster Gang, Kate Stewart, the two Osgoods, Ohila, the General, Danny Pink, and Ashildr/Me…just for starters.

How is it possible?  Because they love him, and that’s all that need be said!  They may have failed to be there for him in the dial…but that’s because they didn’t love him enough.  But they do now!  😉

ichabod @ichabod

@thane15  ”mum will run me over even if I’m dead” (source: one of the Chinese Australians

Oooh — a Tiger Mom!  As if life weren’t tough enough . . .

@missy @thane15  My sister’s favorite dog (of the many she’s had) was a Great Dane that died ated 12 yrs, apparently a very unusual age for such a big dog.  They usually only make it to around 8 yrs, she says.  The very big dogs, bred for size, like the Irish Wolfhound and the Dane, tend not to live very long, because the heart isn’t sized to match and it can’t handle the strain of running such a big operation for very long.  Gigantism just isn’t good for you; another of Nature’s dirty tricks.

@missrori  He must have his day, and receive what he is owed at last.

Well, I hope Moffat and co. come through on that — I agree that it would be very satisfying!  There’s that trope from the old Westerns, though, that kind of fits the Doctor as a character: the lone, traveling hero who’s always moving on shows up at the embattled homestead, gathers others like him to defend the defenseless, and then leaves alone again, with the little kid calling after him, “Shane!  Come back!  Shane!”  And the grown-ups stand around wide-eyed asking each other, “Who was that masked man?”  And then turn back to their normal business.  Even they know that when the guy who fixes trouble shows up, even if you don’t have trouble yet, it will sure follow him into your town.  And the Doctor in particular is well known for fixing the immediate threat and then leaving the clean-up and re-build to others.  “Love”, under those circumstances, is a problematical thing.  Fictional heroes tend to be restless by nature — they need problems to solve, dangers to face down and protect others from — and it’s hard to do that from within the bosom of a loving family (in whatever form it exists for him).

And then being nearly immortal, on top of that — well, it’s not a great formula for creating lasting, loving bonds.  As for the Confession Dial, the most important person to 12 *did* actually show up: Clara in the mind-Tardis, and she *did* help him, with some good, “tough” love.  And that was perfect, for that story, IMO.

On the other hand — this is a UK show, not a US one, so who knows?  I would like to see Moffat bring back some of the Doctor’s fellow-travelers for the close of this Doctor’s career, and I doubt that he’ll be able to resist the temptation to do something like that.  After all, it’s Moffat’s finale, too, as a DW writer.

Well, probably; you never really know, do you?  It is, after all, Doctor Who!

Anonymous @

I would like to see Moffat bring back some of the Doctor’s fellow-travelers for the close of this Doctor’s career, and I doubt that he’ll be able to resist the temptation to do something like that.  After all, it’s Moffat’s finale, too, as a DW writer.

One of my favourite episode, towards the end of 10s episodes, is Stolen Earth/Journey’s End. It didn’t get good reviews from memory but I was beside myself with excitement to see all the people from the Whoniverse having such big roles in an episode and flying the Tardis together! And bringing back Harriet Jones to save all the universes. And Rose got her Doctor. I’d love something like that again. Sigh.

As a side note the other day we were minding our own business watching the Sarah Jane Adventures and OMG, it was like the biggest unexpected treat. Basically it was a whole new episode of 10 I didn’t know about.

Anway, yes – I think  it would be awesome to see Clara and Ishildir again. And  possibly even River Song? (although I don’t know how that would work – but I’m sure Moffat could find a way).  And lets have 12 come back to Class!!

Anonymous @

I just read your comment @missrori – yes I totally agree!

MissRori @missrori

@conchobarre Thank you.  I doubt the show can pull it off, or whether they’d want to do something like that after a lot of people were apparently exhausted by the denouement of “The End of Time” 😉  But hopefully they’ll come up with something even better than that, we just don’t know what yet.  Fingers are crossed!

Missy @missy

@missrori: What a fun  and bonkers idea. Perhaps they did try to help, but the Time Lords wouldn’t let them in. In my opinion, they loved him enough, especially River Song.

@conchobarre: Class is too violent for me and I can do without Ishildir, but that’s just me. *grins*

Moffat and Gatiss can do anything they put their minds to.

ichabod @ichabod

Okay, found the announcement of news that took me completely by surprise when it came up here on another topic — here’s the link:

http://www.thegallifreytimes.co.uk

Anonymous @

@ichabod

Yay!

janetteB @janetteb

Thought it was high time we started to get some Who stories in the run up to the new series. (Only two weeks now. rubs hands with glee)The companion being LGBT is another way of ensuring there is no possible romantic interest with the Doctor and yay to that too. (though there were plenty of hints that Clara was bi,)

cheers

Janette

(counting down now)

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 1,044 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.