On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@phaseshift – Cheers. Apparently storyboards are generally not used at all in tv drama. In Dr Who they’re limited to effects shots and complex scenes because of budget. Andy Wildman (who gave the talk) was the main storyboard artist from TDTWATW up to the 2013 Xmas special. It was he who drew P.S. – it must be quite something to have made the only version of a key chapter in Who’s epic tale.
    z

I was thinking about Frontios as I typed that last post. If my theory does transpire, it may turn out to be a nod to that story.

I think it might be quite cool for ’12’ to go around brandishing an unwieldy bit of home furnishing – or patently absurd…

Wikipedia says:

A hall stand or a hatrack was the most important piece of furniture. These were new forms that appeared about 1840, as homes became larger and social visits became more structured…

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip – Ha! Chekhov’s Duck rears it’s beaky head once more…
    z

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed

Great update on the day, thanks. All very intriguing.  I’ll see if I can glean anything from my guided tour of the actual TARDIS set (squee!) tomorrow; will report back 🙂

Re

This begs the question: Why would a future Doctor need a hatstand from his past?

Tough one. Is it the Artron energy firing one from Frontios? Maybe 12 will be going around “tooled up”

And people complain about the sonic screwsdriver, LOL!

So are we thinking the hatstand’s maybe on duty somewhere/when else? And Matt’s forgotten…?!

(Love the pic of Chekov’s Duck above btw 🙂 (@Bluesqueakpip – I hope you have that phrase patented!)   Will be interested to see if the hatstand turns out to be a duck or a gun! 🙂 )

So are you not tempted to go back tomorrow @wolfweed? (love Ridgeway’s work btw, good to hear he’s a nice guy too)

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb – I think I’ll pop in tomorrow – I want to see if there’s any more artwork on display…

There won’t be any more secrets divulged unfortunately.

Bring us back a chunk of the TARDIS!
    z

In fact, keep asking the guide where the hatstand is until they cave in and answer…….

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed

I’ll do my best to live up to your standards 🙂

In fact, keep asking the guide where the hatstand is until they cave in and answer

LOL, I will indeed 😈 (And hopefully won’t get frisked on the way out!)

masterguns @masterguns

Hello all, I’m new here and, in fact, new to Doctor Who in general. I’m currently on the third season and loving it! I’ve also been seeing the buzz over the 50th anniversary special and I was going to put off watching it until I got to that point, however, I see that it’s going to be screened in theaters! Oh man I don’t want to miss that, but I haven’t even watched the trailer for fear of SPOILERS. Do I need to get through season 7 before watching “Day of the Doctor”?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@masterguns

Taking your question at face value, while you may get something out of the special, I can’t help thinking you’re going to be a bit bemused without any working knowledge of 11, and certainly the storyline involving Clara that led to Name of the Doctor, which on the face of it, seems pretty critical to the Day of the Doctor.

Watching 7 may answer some questions, but pose others. A fairly critical character in Name isn’t even introduced until the back end of 4. I can give you a name, but you may consider that SPOILERS, sweetie.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Or, @masterguns, you can pop over to our Moffat retrospective and zip through Steven Moffat’s episodes from Silence in the Library onwards.

It won’t tell you everything, but it’ll give you a quick (ish) overview.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

Hope you don’t mind me dragging your comment over from part 2. As the scene you were discussing was in this episode, I guessed you may have raced ahead a bit, and thought I’d transfer it.

That would explain the strong sense of déjà vu I had when watching ep3 this morning 🙂 I’m ashamed to say that I must have nodded off during ep2. Watched it again earlier and I don’t recall the last 10 mins of ep2 or the first few mins of ep3.

I used to go on a monthly quest to “Nostalgia and Comics” in Birmingham.

I’ve just come over all, erm, nostalgic. Practically every penny I earned from my paper round was spent in there building up my Star Wars comic/figure collection. I’ve still got most of the comics but the figures, sadly, are long gone (shakes fist at Mom).

Haven’t been in N&C for years but they’ve recently refurbished so I may pop in and see what ‘Who’ related goodies they have to offer.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

That’s ironic, about the sleeping. When I first read your comment I semi convinced myself that I must have blacked out and missed it. I ended up putting the DVD back on and watching it again. 🙂

Thanks for the link to the blog about Nostalgia and Comics. It looks so clean! It was geek heaven in the late seventies and early eighties. For me, part museum and art gallery (all the original artwork from comics they had dotted about for sale), library, and drop in lounge for some really disturbing looking (but immensely friendly and knowledgeable) people. Nowhere else on the planet could an eleven year old boy get to have an argument about which run of the X-Men was best with a really big biker in his forties, and hope to live. Marvellous place.

I was in there a few years ago, and it seemed to have become more of a toy shop, so it’s nice to see they are putting a bit more prominence on the books and comics again. I shall make a beeline next time I’m in the area.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift

I pass N&G quite regularly (I live a 5min walk away) and they do still sell non comic/novel items but they tend to be at the classier end of the spectrum such as the Weta Collectibles.

The ‘tacky’ stuff is sold at Forbidden Planet on Priory Queensway, although I wouldn’t mind the Doctor Who version of Risk as it’s one of my favourite board games.

Timeloop @timeloop

Just a quick update on the cinema situation (Might be interesting for you to see how Doctor Who manages in different countries. If you have any figures for your country I’d love to hear ’em)
    There is a surprisingly huge demand for Doctor Who in Germany. My cinema hall was sold out in round about 12 hours and they had to open another cinema hall to compensate the demand in at least 6 different cities. One of the cinema chains added various further locations. The two cinema chains which will show Doctor Who on the 23rd were bombarded on Facebook with questions (some IT problems with online sales).

It is safe to say the demand quite flabbergasted everyone. As a side note: Someone on Facebook suggested TARDIS-blue popcorn and they said they’d think about it! =)

I’d really love to know how the sales are going in the UK, Australia, Canada, the USA…?

Cheers,

Timeloop

janetteB @janetteb

We finally got around to booking last night and almost every session was sold out, but for the really poor seats. We ended up booked into an evening session at the imax in the city which means rather a change of plans for the day. (Sunday 24th) The city is about an hour away and kids have school next day so will have to have an “interrupted party”. My plan now is to watch An Unearthly Child and have Dr Themed party food in the afternoon, pack the perishables away, head to the city, probably by car to save time, watch the film, rush home and no doubt re-watch the episode, over a very late Who themed dinner, (fish fingers and custard) before bustling kids off to bed.

I am pleased that the tickets have sold so quickly showing just how much demand there is for Dr Who. Me thinks that the BBC might be talking Dr Who full length feature film very soon.

cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@timeloop @janetteb

That’s great to hear re cinema sales in Germany and Australia – and even better to hear you’ve both got sorted. TARDIS blue popcorn – great idea

ScaryB @scaryb

Quick update re my TARDIS (actual set) tour – @wolfweed I def owe you several pints for the early heads-up on that.

Can’t recommend it highly enough – if you’re a DW fan in Cardiff – don’t miss it. In fact it’s worth a trip to Cardiff just to visit the set. Put it this way – I can die happy now!! It’s so beautifully made and detailed – a work of art!

Some stats n things –

It took 6 months to plan it and 3 months to build.

It really is as you see it on screen, a fully enclosed 360 deg set – it feels like walking into the real thing… well it is, of course; They’re very proud of that 360 deg tracking shot when Clara first goes into it (The Snowmen); there’s the spot from NotD where Clara starts to remember things from JttCotT (underneath, next to the TARDIS’s plumbing), and there’s a couple of little areas they haven’t used yet.

@wolfweed – according to the tour guides (people who work on the show) – the central column doesn’t move because they wanted the canopy more, and it wasn’t possible (technically and aesthetically) to do both (as opposed to lack of dosh).

The hatstand – they admitted there wasn’t one, but wouldn’t be drawn on whether it would reappear haha.

The (beautiful) brand new custom-built state of the art studios that the BBC now own at Cardiff docks were created as a direct result of Doctor Who showing what could be done in Cardiff – inc all the jobs for cast, crew, ancilliary and freelance staff.  There is a great deal of pride in what DW has helped them achieve, and RTD is very much a local hero.

And lastly, the DW team seems to be a genuinely happy crew, inc the stars.

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed @Shazzbot @phaseshift @jimthefish @craig @bluesqueakpip @juniperfish @janetteb @timeloop @blenkinsopthebrave and anyone else –

Re TARDIS set tour – I managed to prise off a tiny bit of info about who’s been in filming recently. It may be known already and I missed it, but it may be very slightly spoilery so I’m not posting it on here. PM me If you want to know  😉

thommck @thommck

I just booked my tickets for our local Cineworld showing and I’m left feeling slightly betrayed for two reasons,

1) My wife and (now 14y/o) son have both said they don’t want to go and see it 😮
    2) Our local cinema is probably the most tired and outdated one around but the only one for miles and miles. The cheek is that they are charging a £2 premium on top of the normal 3D surcharges for something that will be being shown at the same time on TV for free!

I did have a look at cinemas further afield and they were similarly expensive (actually more so) and was disappointed to see that none of them were doing any special promos or events for it. Not even in Matt Smith’s home town of Northampton! Seems like another unfair cash grab from the bigwigs 👿

I shall console myself in the fact that I will still be taking my 2 younger and more impressionable sons and smuggle in jammie dodgers and jelly babies under my coat to avoid the foyer prices!

I did notice the official synopsis on all of the cinema sites say this

The action packed adventure reveals that the Doctor has a dangerous past. And he’s coming back!

Is this confirmation that Hurt is a past Doctor (as most of us suspected)?

Anonymous @

@thommck – congrats on obtaining cinema tickets, but sorry to hear about the surcharges.  What is up with your wife and oldest son?!  Thank goodness you can get your two youngest hooked properly.  🙂

The cheek is that they are charging a £2 premium on top of the normal 3D surcharges for something that will be being shown at the same time on TV for free!

@thommck – really? Are you sure?

When I booked for the 02 (also Cineworld), I got the normal Saturday night 3D price. Plus the normal ‘regular booker’ discount.

I’m not too worried about paying the normal price for the 3D big screen cinema version – after all, most British cinema is usually a case of ‘do I pay or do I wait until it’s on Film4?’

I suspect the BBC went for the UK chains that have experience in simulcasting live events; Cineworld, for example, do the New York Met, Royal Opera, RSC and National Theatre.

thommck @thommck

@bluesqueakpip Yes, if I took them to see the new Thor film in 3D at the same time it is £2 cheaper each. If my whole family of 5 went it would be over £50!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@scaryb – Yes – But did you ‘prise off’ a bit off the TARDIS?

Be thankful they didn’t abduct or retcon you when you brought up the hatstand!

Glad you had a good one.
    z

NightSkyFadingRed @nightskyfadingred

Hi folks!

I’m very new here, so I just wanted to say hello 🙂

For reasons unknown, none of my good friends actually watch doctor Who and I really don’t want to count down to the Day Of The Doctor on my own!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome, @nightskyfadingred – You can stare forlornly at the countdown clock with us…

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

ScaryB @scaryb

@thommck

Sorry to hear your local cinema seems to be cashing in. (Write and complain and see what they say). Like @bluesqueakpip I booked with Cineworld – the site even interrupted the booking process to offer me a discount for signing up with them (for free). Glad to hear at least 2 of your family are enlightened! The other 2 will be kicking themselves by the day after.

ScaryB @scaryb

@wolfweed

But did you ‘prise off’ a bit off the TARDIS?

Sadly no, but I may have left some skin and fingernails embedded in it when they had to prise me off and persuade me that I REALLY couldn’t move in 😉

Be thankful they didn’t abduct or retcon you when you brought up the hatstand!

Er… I don’t FEEL any different… but then you wouldn’t, would you?!

ScaryB @scaryb

And hi to @nightskyfadingred

You’re very welcome to clock-watch with us. And please feel free to add your theories and thoughts to the relevant blogs. Be warned though – this place has some strange time-distorting properties 😉

WhoHar @whohar

@timeloop @thommck

I don’t have any figures yet for Aus booking numbers but it is being shown here at Village Cinemas. Only in 3D.
    Prices are $25 (about GBP17) for an adult and $20 (about GBP13) for children. Plus a $1 surcharge per ticket if you book online, which I consider thievery.

WhoHar @whohar

And I’ll also have the minor issue of getting there for around 6:30am.

Count yourselves lucky.

Anonymous @

Our beloved friend and contributor, @htpbdet, sadly died in hospital last week, Thursday the 24th of October.

His son and The McGann Boy got married in his hospital room earlier that day.  (Their wedding had been scheduled for 23rd November to coincide with the 50th anniversary celebrations.)  So at least he was able to be present for their marriage which was his major goal.

His funeral is today.

If you have thoughts you can express them here using his @ name, as emails will still be generated from those posts and they will be read, and I’m sure appreciated by his family.

RIP, our mighty friend, and hope McLeela and the Lost Ones were waiting there for you.

Timeloop @timeloop

Oh no! What terrible news @Shazzbot ! My condolences to @htpbdet s whole family.

thommck @thommck

I’m so sorry to hear of the loss of @htpbdet.

It was always a joy to read his articles or wild theories on here! He conveyed a great sense of wisdom and respect and it’s a rare thing that somebody on the internet can do that. I only knew him from the beginning of this year but it was an absolute pleasure and privilege to do so.

His absence will be sorely missed in this small corner of the web and I’m happy he got to be with the ones he loved so much in his last days

Miapatrick @miapatrick

I’m so sorry to hear that, but glad that @htpbdet could see his son’s wedding.

My thoughts are with the family.

@htpbdet – my condolences to your family. I’ll miss you, though we never met in person. You were a great person to debate with, both on the Guardian blogs and then here, on this forum.

I hope we entertained you, in your last illness. I know, from your posts, that you were surrounded by a loving family. I’m glad that you were able to see your son and the McGann Boy married, even if not on the day you’d hoped.

Now it is time for you to be with the rest of your family. We, left here, will miss you. You will be with those you’ve missed so much.

Rest in Peace.

Anonymous @

Until I pull myself together enough to do a proper memorial to @htpbdet , here is a link for Forum newbies to HTPBDET’s extraordinarily personal writing about his life ‘lived in the shadow of the Tardis’.

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/category/the-doctors/

I hope @craig will agree that a proper honorarium to HTPBDET is warranted.

WhoHar @whohar

Just logged on from here in Aus and read about @htpbdet ‘s passing.

His writing about DW and other matters was always so personal and so full of wisdom and knowledge that it was a joy to read.

I remarked to him once that a post he once made about the loss of his sibling and how his Grandmother used Patrick Troughton’s regeneration to help him come to terms with what had happened affected me on an emotional level. I said at the time that a virtual handshake would have to suffice in place of the real thing. I had hoped one day to meet for real.

His posts inspired me in a very real way and I am rather cack-handedly writing a screenplay in part based upon his posts. I had planned to send it to him for his undoubted incisive comment

To his family I of course offer my condolences. You will have read by now many posts from members of this board and how they hold @htpbdet in very high esteem. I imagine it is still very painful to read these posts but please know this: he brought and still brings out the best in people on this forum and that is a very rare and Doctor-like quality.

M x

Anonymous @

Truly saddened to hear about the passing of @htpbdet. A very sad loss. His contributions were always of the most intelligent and thoughtful and insightful kind and showed a real, long-abiding love for the show. He was also incredibly polite and respectful of all points of view and discussing (and sometimes debating) with him both here and on the Guardian has never been anything less than a joy. His Faces of the Doctor posts were wonderful and highly articulate examples of how this silly, old TV show can have an indelible and positive effect on a human life (and how that life can then in turn have similarly wonderful effects on the others that it touches).

My thoughts are with his family today and am very glad that he did get to see his son married. But also sad that he never got to see the anniversary special and on a more selfish note that I’ll never get to see that grainy black-and-white avatar pop up again on the site with a post (or riposte) that I would always have known to be worth reading.

Rest In Peace, old chap.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

I am so very sorry to hear about @htpbdet. His writings on Doctor Who were truly inspirational and heartfelt. Everything that has been said about the spirit of the “Enthusiasts” who share their thoughts on this site was exemplified by @htpbdet. He was the best of us. He will be sorely missed.

ScaryB @scaryb

Just logged in and the first thing I see is the incredibly sad news about @htpbdet.  Gutted. Am writing this through tears for someone, who although we never actually met, I felt I knew well and looked forward to “meeting” on these boards. As others have said above, he was the best of us.

Lou Reed said – “There’s a bit of magic in everything.  And then some loss to even things out

Right now it feels like there’s much too much loss and not nearly enough magic. My thoughts and condolences go out to his wonderful family, of whom he was so intensely proud. Thank you to them for keeping this small corner updated with his progress, thoughts and the sad news.  Am so glad he got to see his fledgeling married and happy (all the best to you both), and also glad he got to see those 2 classic Troughton tales just found – I suspect that meant even more to him than seeing the actual 50th programme, enough to know that the show had reached 50.  (I will be thinking of you should any more turn up, and watch them in your honour).

My fellow Troughton-er, I will miss you, but hope you are now at peace and with your loved ones. And that blue box has finally come for you. You will sleep in our heads and your spirit will live on in this small corner of the Whoniverse.

Pufferfish @pufferfish

What terribly sad news about @htpbdet – my condolences to his family and everyone here.

ScaryB @scaryb

A couple more thoughts on the subject of @htpbdet

I am really proud to have been a small part of the creation of this site, which provided him with both the inspiration and the sense of security to create his historical and very personal blogs about growing up with the Doctor.  The rest of our ramblings may never amount to more than a heap of beans but his writing was very special and struck a chord in many of us.  I believe this is the only place on the web, and possibly in real life also, where he would have felt comfortable enough to share those thoughts.

I like to think our friend is just off on a trip round the universe in an old blue box and will be back around some day, if the navigation circuits ever get sorted or the TARDIS just thinks the time is right.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@scaryb, @jimthefish, @whohar, @shazzbot, @craig, @all,

The more I think about @htpbdet‘s wonderful posts on this site, I am also reminded of his erudite and civilised contributions on the Guardian site. For that reason, I hope @danmartinuk hears of his passing. While @htpbdet‘s posts are easy for us to access and re-read, it would wonderful if his family could retrieve his posts from the Guardian site. I do not know whether this is possible, and it is easy for me to suggest this, but impossible to implement it. But I just thought it would be nice testament to his ability to inspire those he touched through his posts.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Just read the sad news about @htpbdet. My thoughts are with his family.

Nobody was as eloquent and could move us like he did time after time on this forum.

I shall remember him when watching Dr Who old & new.

Rest in Peace.

Anonymous @

So sad at the passing of @htpbdet . My condolences to his family, best wishes to his Son/Son in Law and thanks to his nephews for keeping us informed.

It was his comments, in particular his Blogs, that made me realise what a special site this is and so I stopped lurking and joined up. Thank you HTPBDET for that.

Vale amicum.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Very saddened by the news regarding @htpbdet.

For anyone reading who doesn’t know, the site was born directly from the desire of a number of enthusiastic posters on @danmartinuk ’s excellent Guardian blogs, which started in 2010 with Matt Smiths inaugural series. It’s a bizarre thing, and may be the first time a community has ever developed from something as normally adversarial as a newspaper television comments section.

It seems like a long time ago, but I still remember the first comments he posted, starting around the blog for Amy’s Choice. He didn’t appear to be having a great time with it, but his passion for the show, and willingness to explain his dislike with some incisive wit and invective made him an interesting and unusual contributor to say the least. He rapidly became what became known as an “after-hours” poster. After the children had expressed their glee or thrown a tantrum in one line, a bunch of posters would hang around swapping theories, spots and, increasingly, stories about their love for the show and others, often still posting the day the next episode was to be broadcast. I was happy when we finally hit upon something we agreed wholeheartedly on – a deep and abiding love for Emma Peel from the Avengers. 🙂

In short, along with posters like @juniperfish, @htpbdet became a mainstay for the core of this nascent community in the very early days. Without that, I don’t think we’d be here today. It was great to see that community grow, even if a few disappeared along the way, lost to the time winds. We rarely seemed to agree, but I don’t think that ever stopped us having a joke or being interested in what other people had to say.

I think that’s a rare thing to happen, and I’m glad it did. Glad he found a home for his thoughts here, and so glad that when the moment came, it was at least prepared for, and he got to see the celebration he’d been looking forward to. His words here, and on those blogs in the Guardian will live on.

I’ll certainly raise a toast in his direction. All the best to his family for the future.

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

Hello Everyone,

What sad news. I’ve not spent as much time on here as I would have liked, but it’s been wonderful to watch how this site has grown out of a little  thing I do. And very inspiring the community that has arisen – how rare that such affection and genuine grief would come out of a forum.

@blenkinsopthebrave yes, as @phaseshift points out, his writings will live on in his user account over at G.

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/htpbdet/public

I’m sure everyone will raise a toast to him at the planned drinks.

RIP x

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

I’m truly sorry to hear such sad news.  My thoughts are with @htpbdet ‘s family.  I’m glad he got to see his son and that McGann boy get hitched and best wishes to the both of them.  I hope today’s posts provide them all with some insight into the respect, admiration and affection which those of us on this site held for him.

@htpbdet, your insight, patience, knowledge and enthusiasm will be sorely missed.  Your writing has been a pleasure and an honour to read and I’d like to thank you one last time for sharing your story with us.  Rest in peace.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@Phaseshift- absolutely, and that is what made this forum, from the start, absolutely not the gaggle of Moffat/Smith fans stamping their feet and shutting down any debate that it has, on occasion, been represented as on the Dan Martin blog by (one presumes) non members on a troll.

@htpbdet‘s posts were always interesting, articulate and thought out. And his blogs were wonderful, brave and heartfelt.

DanMartinUK @danmartinuk

Very sad news. It feels strange to be talking like this about people one has never met, but I suppose this is one of the wonderful things that can only happen on the internet that doesn’t get talked about enough in the age of “trolling”. This quite genuine outpouring of respect proves that you people have built something beautiful together. It is truly humbling.

Have been reading again through a few of his posts at his user page here and all I can really do is second the above, from the point of view of somebody who virtually-knew him a lot less than you do.

His posts for the G will be here.

https://id.theguardian.com/profile/htpbdet/public?activity-stream=articles

I am sure many of you will be raising a glass to him at your get together on the 22nd, which I still hope to attend. And presuming I am allowed, will be sure to honour him as best I can in this week’s installment of the classic series rundown.

Thoughts and respect to all @htpbdet‘s family.

x

Craig @craig
    Emperor

It truly is tragic news about @htpbdet today. Before this forum was ever formed he was one of the posters on the Guardian that I always enjoyed reading when I used to lurk there. His opinions were always strongly held and, even if I didn’t always agree with them, he always had good, clear reasons for them.

I was overjoyed when he signed up over here as I knew we’d be in for some great contributions. But he surpassed even my wildest imagination with his heartfelt and moving blog posts which, I know, touched many.

I know from personal correspondence when he was first ill that he really appreciated this little corner of the internet and the people that populate it. I’m so glad I was able to help him continue to post during that time, and to know that participating on this forum brought him so much joy throughout what could have been a quite miserable and frightening time.

He said to me he was concerned he wouldn’t live to see the 50th Anniversary Special and I told him if it got that bad we would petition Moffat to give him a special advance screening. I’m just sorry that this has happened so suddenly that we can’t do that. I actually would have tried my damned hardest to make it a reality.

However, I am overjoyed that he got to see his son married to the McGann boy on Thursday. My thoughts are with all his family today. I hope the funeral and wake was a good one. He deserved a great send off. I would like to think his coffin was TARDIS blue.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.