On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@wolfweed

More than a few mentions on Charlie Brooker last night. I did enjoy the description of Broadchurch as a “new spinoff of Doctor Who – on ITV. Something good on ITV, it was mind-blowing”. 😀

Anonymous @

@phaseshift @cathannabel @wardoctor

Some thoughts on Buffy/Angel episodes for the Watch Club – ‘Dopplegangland’ springs to mind as does it’s (sort of) sequel, where Willow and VampireWillow exchange places.

‘Hush’ is another possibility as I thought the ‘Whispermen ‘ bore an uncanny resemblance to ‘The Gentlemen’

I lost track of ‘Angel’ due to Channel 4 and, eventually, Five constantly moving it around in the schedule but I was always fond of the flashback episodes.

On a silly note and because Murray Gold seems keen to do a musical episode of Doctor Who, there’s always ‘Once More With Feeling’ 🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox @cathannabel @wardoctor

Thanks for the thoughts, and any more just put them on the Sofa.

I’ve just noticed my afternoon viewing appears to be sorted. Wallace and Gromit, followed by Wall-E on BBC1 (any film that makes Glenn Beck rabid gets my vote 😉 ).

Anonymous @

RE. Buffy/Angel episodes for Watch Club. I’d say that the ‘Escape of Faith’ story that starts in Buffy Season 4 but concludes in Angel Season 1 might be a good cohesive way to tie both shows together. Hush is a good suggestion for Buffy though. Also Epiphany in Angel Season Three, as referenced in @cathannabel‘s blog might be a good choice for that series. It is essentially the (temporary) conclusion of a story arc of sorts but not so much that it would be hopelessly confusing, I think and does, for me anyway, encapsulate the show’s mission statement….

@fatmaninabox — I’ve always wondered if there might be ambitions for there to be a Who ‘Once More With Feeling’. But could you imagine the sheer levels of ARSE that that would unleash? The G blog would possibly go into meltdown….

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

@jimthefish

i love the episode hush. The silence reminds me of the gentlemen kinda wondered if Moffat modelled them slightly on them?

I also agree that a whole shed of worms would open if a once more with feeling dr who style happened.

I also loved dawn’s story arc which started with the real me and Joyce’s ending story arc it was sad but it was an unusually real scenario.

i also loved spike’s story arc in season 2 first a villain then is forced to team up with the person that put him in a wheelchair. Has spike always had feelings for Buffy? If you ask me yes

I ranted for too long

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

I’d love a musical one.  It absolutely has to have a narrative justification though – as the Buffy ep does – not just randomly have an episode obeying conventions from an entirely different genre.   It also has to have great songs – as the Buffy ep does.  And yes, it would cause mass apoplexy in certain quarters, but is that necessarily a bad thing?? Just asking…

But aside from that, in terms of episodes that could connect with Who, I’d certainly go for Hush.  It’s reasonably self-contained, and as others have noted, the Gentlemen almost certainly influenced some recent Who big bads.  It’s one of the scariest as well, proper behind the sofa stuff.

As for Angel, in some ways the whole Pylea arc is unusual in transplanting the action to another dimension/alien planet, so might be interesting to look at from a Who perspective.   Epiphany – I’ll have to re-watch it to see how well it stands alone.  I had forgotten though that Lorne references Zuzu’s petals in this one!

I’m still musing on this, so may come up with other ideas in due course…

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hi All,

I’d agree Hush is a great choice from both horror and self-contained perspectives.

In terms of Doctor Who/ Buffy connections there is, of course, Torchwood’s “Kiss Kiss Bang Bang” by Chris Chibnall which features James Masters (Spike the vampire on Buffy) as Captain Jack’s old lover.  Not to everyone’s taste I’m sure, but I like it – it’s got great Barrowman/ Masters chemistry 🙂 Plus, the title references a wonderful movie, one of Downey Jnr’s best.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@fatmaninabox

I went on a school trip to Blists Hill museum when I was 10. Did you get chance to go to the Tar Tunnel at Coalport? It’s normally lit by electric lights but they allowed us to go down with candles (this was long before ‘Health & Safety’ came along and ruined all the fun). Very spooky!

We didn’t go this time, but I did that as a kid as well – if I remember right, they took us in with the electric lights, but then turned them off and gave us candles with an inadequate bit of foil to hold them in when we got further down.  I reckon that they only had the lights off for a minute or two but at the time, it seemed forever!

The joys of a childhood with Guardian reading teachers for parents.  Had no appreciation at the time for being dragged to castles, museums, mines and the like but now willingly going to the same places as an adult and reminiscing.  Youth, wasted on the young.  Etc etc.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@rob

one section of the bar could be stretched to make room for a barista

Having worked in several bars around the world, while I’m all in favour of people bobbing in for a coffee in the morning and afternoon, I can honestly say there is a special layer of hell reserved for folk who think it’s sensible to order a bloody cappuccino* in a crowded bar at 10 o’clock at night.  So I will only accept your space on the bar for a Barista, if it comes with a big CLOSED sign to be employed as soon as is socially acceptable to return to drunken normality.

*we always just gave them a latte with a little froth on top.  No one – not one person – ever noticed.

Anonymous @

This has always reminded me of a ‘Doctor-Lite’ episode of Doctor Who.  The companions do all the heavy lifting.  You think the baddie is winning and then the companion gets all medieval on your ass.

Monster vs Aliens

densire @densire

Wow, quite a long scroll to get to the bottom of the first page -.-

Anyway just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I’m afraid that I became a fan with the new series but since then have entrenched myself deeply in the lore of the Doctor Who universe. I am by no means an expert on the universe of the Doctor as I believe that it is quite literally impossible to be such a thing. I do however have a large amount of knowledge on many subjects concerning the television show and have recently discovered the wonderful eighth doctor’s audio dramas, and I must say that they are all quite amazing.

I’ve gotten bored of not having anyone to talk to about the subject of Doctor Who and figured I would see if there was some form of forum out there and sure enough there was. So hello once again and here is to many more interesting conversations.

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings to @densire.  Nice first post.  Come and join us in the pub!

No problem about only catching up on Who since 2005 – we have a wide and varied selection of fans in here from all eras. (You wouldn’t believe the amount of collective knowledge! We’re a virtual PhD course!)  All contributions welcome.

For more about the Doctor on audio, check out this blog

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift – TV suggestions – seconding, thirding, fourthing…. SPACED!! (How could I forget 🙁  )

Arbutus @arbutus

Welcome, @densire. I was going to say, like @scaryb, that the collective of this forum is definitely the expert, so bring your ideas to the hive mind and make it stronger! I also have enjoyed the Eighth Doctor on audio. Do you have any particular favourites? And what about the TV show itself, any favourite doctors, episodes, or companions?

Arbutus @arbutus

Hi, @nicelyuseless. I see that the cat is regenerating, how many lives is it now? Your story is remarkably similar to mine, in that I also started watching the Fourth Doctor in repeats, all unknowing of the fate that he had already met! I was baffled and annoyed by that regeneration, and it took me awhile to warm up to the Fifth Doctor as a result.

Don’t worry about the parentheses, they are good. I myself love semi-colons, and to paraphrase the Eleventh Doctor, I use them and I don’t care. That’s why they are cool.  🙂

densire @densire

When I say I started watching Doctor Who with the 2005 series, that does not mean I’ve only seen the revived series. I’ve actually seen many of the original series as well. My favorite audio drama would probably have to be, well the one that sticks out the most in my mind but isn’t really my favorite would probably be Orbis. It shows a completely different side of the Doctor that hasn’t really been seen since the very first Doctor. A Doctor that doesn’t care for the human race and would rather just live in peace with his newly found family much like how he wanted to live in peace with his grand daughter Susan. It’s a Doctor that people are not used to seeing and that is why it sticks out the most in my mind.

FiveRoundsRapid @fiveroundsrapid

Find out all about my night with Jenna Louise Coleman in my final blog post of 2013!!

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/my-night-with-jenna-louise-coleman

Happy ‘Who’ Year everyone!!!

🙂

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

I know it’s late, but… Merry Christmas! And just the right time to say…
    Hello and Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks for the welcome-backs, the welcome-any-times, and thanks @fatmaninabox for putting me on the sofa last time 🙂

New Year Resolutions anyone? I’ve gone for (in reverse order of importance):
    1 Run a marathon (this year I mean it);
    2 Be “the change I want to see in the world” (not entirely sure what that means – saw it on Facebook);
    3 Partake in a bit of bonkers theorising.
    4 Annoy people by using parentheses in most (if not all) sentences.

So, starting as I mean to go on…
    I’ve written down a few ideas, but am not sure where to put them.

So I hope it’s ok if I ask first:
    To talk about running themes (“repeated memes” if you will…) that have emerged over the course of the last series or two, where is it best to go?

Speaking of running, it’s time to crack on with my final resolution. See you in 26.2 miles. Or failing that, when I get tired 🙂

x

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

Ten minutes later and it turns out that putting a jogging suit on has made me feel remarkably tired. Time for a lie down I think…

To be honest, this comes as no surprise. Happens every january 🙂

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@cathannabel  Re: Eric Ritchie Jr.

Some years ago, I had tickets for, but ultimately missed, a West-End production of “A Christmas Carol”. The actor playing Ebeneezer Scrooge was Eric Richard. Coincidence???

I loved your blog post, btw.

x

nicelyuseless @nicelyuseless

Hello @arbutus; thank you for such a kind welcome. My cat has quite possibly used up most of her lives by scaling the Christmas tree, both before and after it has been ensconced in electrified wires…wait.

Why is it that “cats have nine lives”? What if felines on Earth are said to have nine lives, because they really *have* nine lives, because they are evolving into the Earthly incarnations of Time Lords!?! What if in xxx-thousand years, cats will rule large parts of our galaxy? (Nobody should answer that).  Is that why our moon is supposedly made of cheese? Or actually just powdery cat litter?

Sorry, got carried away there. Oh, and it’s a whole new year now. Well, you can possibly tell why it passed me by (*hic*). I apologize for this bit of nonsense everyone.

-N.useless-

nicelyuseless @nicelyuseless

Cats with nine lives. Really?

I’ll try to stop. Honest.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Happy 2014 everyone. I’ve started the New Year in exactly the right way. I’ve had a massive sleep in, which in no way reflects indulgence in any celebratory drinks last night.

Well, perhaps a bit. Has anyone got a razor I can shave my teeth with?

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

-Introductory post materializes-

Well hello there, I guessed this was the place to post my introduction… so here it is;

I’ve decided to join because recently my Whovian side has returned after lying dormant for a few years, thanks to the 50th Anniversary Episode. I am mostly a fan of the Classic series, but I don’t mind the new series and like a number of the episodes (though I have yet to watch quite a few at the moment so I’m afraid I’m not completely up to date, but I don’t mind spoilers, so go ahead and talk my ear off about the new series however you see fit). My favourite Doctor would be the First, I also adore the Second; in fact the black and white episodes in general are my favourites (hence the username)… but I like all the Doctors anyway… so its all good. When it comes to the new series… well lets just say I have a feeling that Capaldi will be my favourite ‘NuWho’ Doctor once his series begins.

Anyhow, I’m 27 currently, female (mentioning this as folks seem to get it wrong on forums) and I’m from the UK. Currently I am collecting the Classic Series on DVD, not the easiest task when you don’t have much money… and when I say Classic Series… I mean every Doctor. Of course I’m always hoping they’ll find more lost episodes from the First and Second Doctors.

Was this too formal? I can add something crazy to the post to make it seem less formal? Oh and Happy New Year!

Arbutus @arbutus

All the best to everyone for 2014! I hope that the first day of the New Year isn’t too hazy for anyone.  🙂

@nicelyuseless   Based on what goes on around our house, I’d say that the cats already rule most of the universe!

@Monochrome Dimension     Welcome! I love your user name. I also have high hopes for Capaldi. Although, like you, I have enjoyed all the doctors, and I particularly thought that Matt Smith was brilliant, I am pleased to once again see a Doctor who is older than I am.  🙂

@idiotsavon – (a), thanks! and (b) no such thing as coincidence…

@Monochrome Dimension – welcome!

ScaryB @scaryb

Happy 2014 everyone

<moves very slowly on to the sofa>

Welcome @monochromedimension, fellow Hartnell/Troughton fan 🙂

@cathannabel – agree re your no 2 comment about coincidence. There will be a connection somewhere!

And yes, @nicelyuseless @arbutus Cats  do indeed rule the universe… meow

@scaryb – all slightly fragile here too.  We spent the afternoon watching Transamerica, and then for contrast Goodbye Mr Chips…. then found ourselves watching one of those collections of YouTube clips which seemed to mainly comprise people vacuuming their cats.  And then three Big Bang Theory episodes in succession.  Have now recovered sufficiently to put some Miles Davis on the CD player and even pour some wine. This could end badly…

Thank you for the welcomes. 🙂

@arbutus – Thanks! Quite happy with it myself.  I haven’t watched much of Matt Smith’s episodes yet, only about half a series and a few specials… hoping to watch a few more soon though. At least I have time to catch up with the series before the next season starts I guess.

DrSmith @drsmith

@monochromedimension welcome and if your a fan of old who then I recommend you go on youtube and look up “Time Crash” it’s a very good minisode where The Fifth Doctor and The Tenth Doctor share a one scene story that mainly involves Tennant “fan-girlying” over his father in law’s Doctor.

DrSmith @drsmith

Hey guys for Christmas along with a new Tenth Doctor’s sonic screwdriver, a mini TARDIS and some Doctor Who clothes I got a $126 toward purchases on Amazon. So I bought both The Eleventh Doctor’s sonic and The Master’s laser screwdrivers and The Fifth Doctor’s post regeneration/ first episod along with some other miscellaneous items.

I thought the episode was absolutely splendid. It finished off where Logopolis ended and finally ended The Master; and found it quite amusing that Doc #5 completely destroyed Doc #4’s scarf and thought it was interesting to throw back some of Doc 1-3’s era in but not as much of Doc #4. However I would like to see a little bit more of Doc #5’s character more and more of a spacey sort of alieny story. So if you could recommend me a story that would but fantastic: Like @chromedemension I’m trying to get as many classic episodes as I can starting with Regeneration episodes (Logopolis, Was Game, Planet of the Spiders, ect.) after that moving on to post regeneration/first episodes (Robot, Castrovalva, Time and the Rani, ect.) and AFTER THAT episodes with enemies that were brought back for the classic seried (Autons, Davros, The Master, ect.) so what do you guys think is the best Doc #5 episodes like that.<span class=”Apple-style-span” style=”-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba(26, 26, 26, 0.296875); -webkit-composition-fill-color: rgba(175, 192, 227, 0.230469); -webkit-composition-frame-color: rgba(77, 128, 180, 0.230469);”> </span>

@drsmith – Actually I have watched that minisode before, I think actually when it aired… though because it was a while ago now I don’t remember too much about it.

The Fifth Doctor is the Doctor I really need to watch more of as I only have two of his episodes, the one you mentioned (his post regeneration story) and Resurrection of the Daleks. I’m planning on buying some Third, Fifth, Sixth and Seventh Doctor serials soon; not to mention I’m trying to get every Dalek story, I only need three more now and they’re all Third Doctor episodes (apart from the missing Dalek serials of course, I’ll be getting the audio instead).

Also excited about The Moonbase being released on DVD soon, along with Web of Fear… I recently watched Enemy of the World, which is a great episode. And I think The Underwater Menace is also being released on DVD isn’t it?

CraigNixon @craignixon

A girl?!

Are girls allowed on the internet?

😉

In all seriousness, welcome to all newbies, may your Who-ness be Cloister Bell’d across the dimensions

Or something.

Anyway, back at work and wishing I was still drunk! Huzzah

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craignixon Some girls here were on the Internet before it became the World Wide Web… 😈

[Eeeeh, I remember when I were a lass. We ‘ad ter do our own calculations in them days, with nobbut a piece o’ wood an’ a bit o’ clockwork to ‘elp us]
    😀

@craignixon – Yeah there’s at least five of us.

Thanks for the welcome anyhow. 😀

blackthorn @blackthorn

Yes, there are a few females around here…

and I remember the first-ever episode, too!    Troughton for me.

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Girls are allowed on the internet, certainly, although the special pink internet has been delayed until March.

I’m starting to put a few Who curios and bits of memorabilia together and was wondering if anyone else had any collectables of note? He’s my latest blog post outlining what arrived yesterday…

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/the-postman-commeth-2

Is this the best place to share stuff like this? Things like book collections, DVDs, posters, trading cards, autographs, copies of the Radio Times… the list goes on!

I thought it might be interesting to see what other goodies are out there!

@monochromedimension

Great to have you on board. Please have a look at one of my early blog posts on the topic of Classic DVD collections…

http://5roundsrapid.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/the-great-classic-who-dvd-coversion-project

I’m taking a bit of a different approach to keep costs down!

Tekdrudge @tekdrudge

Hello All!

I’m one of the new guys. Been a fan of Doctor Who since 2005 (Yes, I started with “NuWho”). I live in the US but would rather live in the UK. My wife and I have a dream of retiring in Scotland. Found this place when looking for people to chat Doctor Who. Looking forward to watching some “Classic Who” soon. I wish I could watch every episode in order, but “Classic Who” episodes are hard to find here. I guess that is it for my ramblings. Thank you for having me.

CraigNixon @craignixon

Wow. Lots of new people arriving. None of you are Romanian right?  The Daily Mail won’t like you coming here on taking our blog posts!

(God I hate that paper)

Welcome Tekdrudge!  Lots of us are Nuwho (I’m a TV movie / Nuwho myself).

I really need to watch more Old Who. Might sit and watch some on Youtube. After I watch Thor, and The Hobbit, and play some games, and read some books, and…..

Grrr. We need to elimate work!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@craignixon – I lived in Romania. Do you think that counts?

🙂

Whisht @whisht

Hi @monochromedimension – I was curious if you wanted to post something on either the Memories thread or Faces thread as to your preference of the Classic Drs – Troughton and Hartnell in particular.

I was just wondering as many here who mention their love of them, do so as they saw them first time round and unless you have a time machine I’m guessing you’ve come across them in some other way and as an adult.

Of course you don’t have to, but you’re love of them may echo or be different to others in interesting ways.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@fiveroundsrapid – Thanks. I checked out the blog post; its definitely an interesting and less space consuming method of collecting the Classic series. I’ll probably stay with collecting all the DVDs simply because I like the way they look all together though.

@whisht – Oh I was planning on posting something in those threads eventually, I’ll get to it soon.

@tekdrudge – Watching the serials in order would be amazing, but even if one owns all the DVDs, because of the missing episodes its not possible. Unless… you use the audio to count as the missing eps of course. So I doubt many people watch them in order anyhow… dunno if that makes you feel any better about it… hmmm… now I’m just feeling sad myself because of the lost episodes… well that was successful.

I think I’m rambling…

@monochromedimension

Re the DVDs… I’ll be the first to admit that there’s no substitute for having the Classic DVDs themselves all lined up on the shelf!

@fiveroundsrapid: Indeed! Though currently mine are stacked as I am trying to figure out the best place to store them. At least they’re not VHS… that would take up a lot more space… I think I need a TARDIS…

@whisht: BTW I posted in one of the threads… not too sure what to post in the other at the moment.

I was thinking about getting the audio for all the missing Hartnell/Troughton episodes eventually, just so I can say I have all the Classic Who eps in some form or another. Does anybody else do that? Or am I just desperate to be a completist?

Whisht @whisht

@monochromedimension – hey that’s great!
    I also can’t figure out whether my earliest memories were re-runs of Pertwee (though I’m just old enough to remember him, so I probably was sitting near enough to my dad’s knee for safety).

In terms of Faces – perhaps you need a Faces of the Daleks thread?!?

😉

and completist – probably (but is that so bad??)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Afternoon all. Tis’ the weekend! Welcome to all the new signups.

@fiveroundsrapid

Liked the link and idea on collections. I remember those Typhoo cards, along with the Weetabix ones that @whisht mentioned on the Memories thread. I still have a few of each, but not complete sets.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.