Robot of Sherwood

Home Forums Episodes The Twelfth Doctor Robot of Sherwood

This topic contains 237 replies, has 56 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 238 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

robot-of-sherwood-large

After going ‘into darkness’ last week we get a more light-hearted romp for the younger viewers this time courtesy of Mark Gatiss, which is exactly why Doctor Who is so great. What we get is a beautiful battle of hero egos. Clara, once again, is there to keep them all in check.

Gatiss has gone big, to almost pantomime proportions, and there are lots of great lines.

Stop laughing. Are you all simple or something?

Shut it, Hoody

Can you explain your plan without using the words ‘sonic screwdriver’?

After Lincoln, the world!

In an unusually sun-dappled Sherwood Forest the Doctor encounters Robin Hood, a man he does not believe existed. They soon discover that robots from outer space are in league with the dastardly Sheriff of Nottingham and strike up an unlikely alliance.

With half of England at stake, the Doctor must decide who is real and who is fake.

When did you start believing in impossible heroes?

I don’t know where this is going but we get more mechanical men searching for ‘The Promised Land’.

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Loved it! I’ll have to watch it again before I can comment properly, but I loved it that they used among the images of the Robin Hood legend a picture of Robin as played by Patrick Troughton. And Little Ron got to reprise his role fom Maid Marrian and her Merry Men! Just two lovely touches in a glorious romp.

Apopheniac @apopheniac

That will be worth seeing again.  I saw a continuity problem near the beginning with the Tardis door open then shut, I expected that to be meaningful (something got into the Tardis?).  I also thought there wouldnt be a decapitation due to recent world events, but there still was even tho it was a robot.

I thought the Tardis held back hordes of Mongol warriors and could withstand radiation and everything else, but Robins arrow pierced the side (even if the hole fixed itself).

It was certainly funny and the lines were good as said above.  I also liked Robin telling the Doctor that as a Scot he should eat more vegetables.

Theres definitly a theme of hero worship and whether its better to be remembered by history as a flawed man or an impossibly perfect legend.

Off to watch the DWE segment.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Miapatrick @miapatrick

OK, while my bath is running:

I liked this for one of the lighter episodes- compared to COTBP (which I didn’t hugely rate)  and DOAS (which I enjoyed especially for Rory and his dad, and also, incidentally, had Rory playing the move the doctor mentions here- getting captured) I found this somewhat better. I actually laughed at the spoon. I wonder if the increased contrast of having Capaldi playing silly made it funnier? Smith could be serious, but you didn’t assume he would be.

I liked the Toy Story Buz Lightyear moment, and that the tension over Clara wasn’t Romantic, or rather it was, but not sex/hearts and flowers Romantic, but heroism and story-telling Romantic.

I have other thoughts- I didn’t like the golden arrow thing, the size of the arrow made it seem a little silly- but most of all: if they cut a beheading scene, I didn’t notice it’s absence. If they didn’t cut it, and it was the robot, I can’t see why there was ever considered to be a problem.

Anonymous @

I thought Deep Breath and Into the Dalek where a bit ‘meh’ which is why I haven’t commented on them yet but I really enjoyed this episode.

In style, it certainly owes more to the classic ‘men in tights’ swashbucklers of old than the rather dark ‘Robin of Sherwood’ from the 80s and the various movie versions of recent years.

Scots are strangers to vegetables. That’s because the deep fat fryer hasn’t been invented yet 😀

Was that a bit of Venusian Aikido I saw The Doctor use on Robin?

Off to watch it again before commenting further.

Whisht @whisht

hmm – initial thoughts was that this was a misstep in terms of a lighter Who episode.

There’s been loads of these lighter funner episodes in BG and AG, but I wonder if Capaldi’s Doc isn’t settled enough yet to switch between. An odd thought for an actor I love, so maybe a combination of where in the sequence and writer?

Not sure. Just think on initial viewing I was unengaged and wanting to love more than I actually liked.

Luckily (on this forum) I can change my mind, and can have this initial thought without thinking “Gatiss/Moffatt destroyed everything Doctor Who ever standed for and I hate everything!”

Still, not one I can imagine watching again.

However – we have more grist for the Promised Land mill!!

🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

The decapitation scene was cut. I’m not sure how much more I can say about that…
    Yes, it’s a little bit ironic that the robot knight being beheaded was left in.

Apopheniac @apopheniac

wolfweed, thanks for your welcome earlier.  Thanks for posting the Extra here too (just saw it on iplayer).

That door thing was bothering me so I rewatched the beginning.  It goes like this:

At 3:00 in the Tardis is shown with the door open.  Its closed at 3:09 even tho the Doctor only took the arrow out but isnt shown closing the door.

Then the doors open again at 3:13.  At 3:18 in a different angle, it’s still open but just barely.  3:22, and we have the same camera shot as at 3:13 and the door is back to being more open.

Then Clara comes out the open door at 3:40 or so and closes the door after her.

DW, hire me for continuity pls.  🙂

I wondered why there was no Missy (Miss-E?  Miss-C?) coda.  The robots were looking for The Promised Land.  But they didnt sacrifice themselves for the Doctor so maybe thats the clue.  But 3 eps in and we have an arc I guess for this series.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Gatiss & Riley interview with Entertainment Weekly.
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/05/doctor-who-sherlock-game-of-thrones-da-vincis-demons/

I personally loved ‘Robin of Sherwood'(as a TV Robin Hood)…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3ZHQ1xQCC6QYTDgX0fvCDBs/robot-of-sherwood-fact-file

Miapatrick @miapatrick

damn just lost quite a long post, bloody bt.

main points, the doctor and robin: heroes and stories. I liked Clara’s comment about the sonic. In this episode, trickery feature heavily: Robins’ response to the doctors ‘box’ (yes, that was a tad vulgar) the cheat with the arrow, Clara bluffing the Sherriff. Then she points out the absence of the sonic. Then she sees it, but doesn’t steal it, point and think. And in the end, it is Clara telling the Doctor’s story that brings Robin back into the game.

there was other stuff, I assure you it was great…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Okay, that was great fun. And, First Bonkers Theory Hit with ‘The Promised Land is a real place’. But why is it robots/droids who are heading there?

Off to rewatch.

@miapatrick

COTBP – Curse of the Black Pot? 😉

That was fun – this team really get the A-plot, B-plot, C-plot system, don’t they?

JimboMcMaster @jimbomcmaster

This isn’t my kind of Doctor Who episode to be honest (sword-spoonfights and negligible-amounts-of-gold-making-all-the-difference are a bit too silly for me – or rather a different kind of silly to what I like), but I did actually really enjoy it, mainly for the humour and Capaldi’s Doctor.

I think this is the sort of story that would have left me unsatisfied in the Smith era, but I actually think the slower pacing of this new era helped to make the silliness feel a bit more open and up-front, rather than the sort of thing they hope we wouldn’t realise if they talk fast enough.

@whisht Agree that perhaps this was a little too soon in Capaldi’s run for a full-on comedy episode, but I don’t think any damage was done.

Normally I can’t pick best lines, but I had two standouts: the one about Scots and veg, and ‘Can you explain your plan without using the words ‘sonic screwdriver’?’

Also, although I think the comparison of the Doctor to Robin Hood was handled pretty well, I would have maybe liked a bit more of the Doctor disapproving of Robin Hood’s use of violence – Hood’s weakness as a role model compared to the Doctor, I think. But then I suppose they would have needed a counter-criticism from Rob to Doc, to make it fair. You don’t want to be too harsh to your guest-star, I guess.

All in all, if not my favourite kind of episode, an enjoyable one.

Serahni @serahni

I just watched it and I’m off to watch it again.  My initial reaction was that it was a brilliant change in pace and clearly something very cleverly placed in the series given what next week’s looks like!  Holy balls, I’m already checking under the bed!

I will have more to say after I’ve watched it again, but I loved the light-heartedness, the poignancy and the humour.  The comparison between Robin and The Doctor was really nicely done.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Look very carefully at the spoon as the Doctor licks it… (pause button helps)

There is a person reflected in it in a couple of frames… Is that just the cameraman?

1190 AD is when ‘The Time Warrior’ is set. That story featured robot knights and a castle threatened by an exploding spaceship…

Verbal @verbal

In an episode discussing fictional and mythic heroes I loved what I am convinced was a very deliberate Bat symbol mixed amongst the calculations on the chalkboard at the start. Certainly it was disguised but it seemed much more than coincidental.  Nice inclusion of the picture of Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood. Capaldi’s brogue seems to be giving Jenna more and more confidence and licence to relax into her Lancashire accent.

By the way, as a general point, I haven’t spotted this referred to elsewhere, but do we think the new Tardis design is a nod to the one at the start of the McGann TV movie? That armchair seems very reminiscent of the one we saw Sylvester McCoy relaxing in. It could be my poor recall though, and I haven’t had chance to go back and compare and contrast.

onthedippy @onthedippy

Do one robin | ONE ROBIN DO | image tagged in dr who,robin hood | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘An intriguing gallimaufry.’ Is that a block of cheese?

z

Timeloop @timeloop

Hello everyone.

Rather quiet in here so far- I am sure there is more to come soon.

I fell like most here so far: enjoyable, not brilliant. It had a bit of a fan-made feel to me O.ô. Maybe I am spoiled by the movies…. I was more aware that they were just acting than I usually am, especially had that feeling with Robin and his gang.

I liked the squabbling between the Doctor and Robin. And the keychain scene was hilarious.

Just some things that stood out for me regarding the story arc:

First time we have not seen Missy, I was sure the defeated man would end up with her too. Maybe they think we get the idea and don’t want to bore us with repetition.

The robots who wanted to reach the promised land (nice spot that robots seem to want to reach it @bluesqueakpip – but Gretchen reached it too) had a cross as their aim. Clearly also related to church. There are some of religious motives around (in this season and before e.g Papal Mainframe) if you think about it, let’s see if it is continiued next week…

Timeloop @timeloop

@purofilion Remember the Gretchenfrage? That also had something to do with religion if you remember.  Just as you said:

“I liked Goethe’s Gretchen parallel. I think that the 1st question fits too, the Dr is a change agent with respect to the Dalek.”

SaraOswald101 @saraoswald101

And remember Doctor, I’m just as real as you are.

-Robin Hood.

This line gave me chills. Honestly, I tought the plot of this episode was poor, a bit lazy and not really catchy. But I loved Robin Hood and how he made the Doctor doubt. Clara was absolutely beautiful, as always. I usually love these historic/comedy kind of episode, but this one was dissapointing. I guess seeing the Doctor running out of faith in impossible things broke my heart.

He’s not real. HE’S A LEGEND!

-The Doctor.

I am very intrigued by the whole ”Promised Land” and ”Missy from Heaven” mystery. I might try to come up with a theory later on 😡

About next episode, Listen, I am also alreayd frightened. I can’t wait. I love these scary episodes.

For now, the eight season is a bit less than what I expected it to be. I think the soldier’s character is making a really slow entrance and its starting to frustrate me. I know I’m impatient but I am actually curious and I think he’s cute with Clara.

Anyways, I guess I’m just going to wait and see.

Arch @arch

I thought this was the weakest episode of the three thus far and I absolutely loved Deep Breath especially. The Doctor seemed very juvenile in this episode and when that golden arrow took the engines from 80 odd percent to 100% at the end, I just rolled my eyes and sighed.

On a more positive note, next weeks episode looks to be far more up my alley.

Serahni @serahni

I’ve watched it for a second time now!  I have nothing much else to add yet other than I really felt, as I watched this, that it would have been the kind of Doctor Who story that I would have absolutely loved when I was younger.  I can’t wait to talk with my young cousins who adore Doctor Who to see what they thought of it because, whilst I can agree it lacked the gravitas of the first two episodes, I kind of like that there was something that was a real stand-alone, family-oriented story.

After all, next week does not look like an episode the 5-year-old will be able to watch.  She’ll be disappointed but it just looks too scary.  (And I don’t mean she won’t be allowed, she will opt not to.  She loved Doctor Who but she’s still 5.)

UltimateCompanion @ultimatecompanion

Hi. New to the forum and glad to find a place to discuss the show.

I wasn’t as jazzed about this episode as I wanted to be. It was a little silly, but the funny moments were still funny. One thing that I noticed is that neither the Doctor nor Clara grabbed the sonic screwdriver from the Sherrif. I’ll have to watch it again to be sure, but did anyone else notice? He managed to get thru the episode without using his sonic, which was a great twist, but I was expecting the Doctor to figure out how to get it back or at the very least complain about it falling into the vat of molten gold but nope. I was even expecting Robin Hood to slip it to him just before they left.  It shows up in the preview for the next episode, so I’m kinda hoping they explain how he got it back or if he got a new one. Seems like a huge oversight.

Also not sure how I feel about the sonic screwdriver being used like a gun to blow up random non-computerized stuff.  It’s just weird.

I also like that we really got to see him using the new TARDIS console. Typing in coordinates on a computer keyboard seems so sensible. This doctor is no frills. I love it.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

That was the worst Robin Hood performance I’ve ever seen. Worse than Kevin Costner, Kevin bloody Costner.

geoffers @geoffers

@ultimatecompanion – the doctor cheated. his first arrow was a homing arrow, so it had mechanical/computer components in it. thus, presumably, could also have had a “detonating tip,” or something similar?

😉

ABXY @abxy

Hello again everybody! I just finished watching this as I couldn’t watch it last night. I loved the story and especially the dynamic between Clara, The Doctor and Robin. Clara taking on that more leaderly/teacher-y role was great to see!

But the main thing I liked about this episode was how The Doctor was vehemently opposed to Robin Hood actually existing, and how that later went to transfer to The Doctor himself. For a much more lighthearted episode, this had a lot of deeper meanings in it, and I will be rewatching it later to see if I can spot any I missed.

Now, on the topic of Missy. I was seriously expecting her to pop up when the SoN fell into the gold, and later when the ship’s engines failed, but I was wrong both times, so I’m adopting the theory that some of you have that it’s people that sacrifice themselves for The Doctor that get to ‘Heaven’.

Sorry if this post makes no sense, I only woke up an hour or so ago O_o

~ ABXY

ABXY @abxy

Oh, and also, I loved that we got to see the interior of the TARDIS in more detail! It hit shows how nice it really is ^_^

geoffers @geoffers

i may be in the small minority, so far, of those who like this episode. i thought it was well-paced, with just enough “dark” (people being stabbed to death, robots frying others to ashes) to play against all the lighthearted bantering going on. and the witty dialogue, the back-and-forth between characters (including the superb scene between clara and the sheriff), demanded a second watch (then a third), to try to gather it all in…

so, the sheriff was part mechanical? i think he said, “the first of a new breed: half man, half engine?” i guess he didn’t make missy’s tea party, since he didn’t die helping the doctor? or maybe yes, as his death can still be attributed to the doctor’s meddling?

having seen many BG-who stories set in similar, “medieval” times, i loved how this one paid homage to those, especially with the overly-evil sheriff, who bore a striking resemblance to a certain overly-evil timelord! indeed, when i first saw him, i thought they were bringing back The Master!! 🙂

geoffers @geoffers

also, in the tardis, did someone hand the doctor that spoon?! and was that custard on it?!! i’m sure i didn’t catch sight of a mircrowave oven, or a mini-fridge!

@verbal – i saw the batman symbol, too, upon re-watching!

geoffers @geoffers

@wolfweed – any chance you can screengrab the spoon? i’ve paused it many times, now, and only see the reflection of the console lights…

Serahni @serahni

@geoffers  I really enjoyed it too so maybe we can sit in the dunce’s corner together!  I think I can understand why it might not appeal to some people, it’s a different tone than we’ve had for a while, but I thought it was a good frolic.  Not perfect, more poignant than profound perhaps, and not a lot of tidbits that I saw to spawn more rampant theorising, but still enjoyable.

That being said, that “I’m as real as you are” line felt really, really significant in a way I can’t put my finger on.  Almost precursor material.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I haven’t time to make a huge amount of comments, but …

… while putting a picture of Patrick Troughton, the actor, on screen was lovely: has anyone noticed that it fits with the ‘I never know where the faces come from’ motif from Deep Breath?

So: bonkers theory. The First Doctor regenerated – and the face that ‘popped up’ from his subconscious was that bloke he’d seen on twentieth century telly playing Robin Hood.

No wonder his older persona is so insistent that Robin Hood can’t be real. He’s stopped believing in heroes (any fool can be a hero). He’s certainly stopped believing in the human folk-hero who impressed him so much, he took his face.

🙂

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

OK – with the first glimpse of a very “men in tights” Robin, I thought I wouldn’t enjoy this, but I ended up revising that opinion pretty quickly because it was too much bloody fun to resist.

As depictions of Hood go, this was knowing (and I’m sorry @theKrynoid man, but wash your mouth out – no one can be as bad a Kevin Costner).

In fact it reminded me of the portrayal of Robin from the time travelling BlackAdder: Back and Forth. The unnecessary laughter, the character who is slightly in love with his own mystique. That version was, of course, played by the late (sadly) Rik Mayall.

But as a central conceit – meeting a mythical figure who turned out to be his own caricature – it played out really well. I loved the Doctors determination to prove that this was a Fiction. Who wouldn’t, with tights like that. Like others I liked the highlighting of the Hood and Doctor “myths” – last year I wrote a blog on Big Finish and in the comments put (on the tricky subject of Who’s non-existent canon):

“I’ve always approached the Doctor as a modern myth, as I said, and myths can get confusing. It’s kind of like asking for confirmation about whether Robin Hood was a nobleman who rebelled, or a peasant who fought back. The interpretations serve their own purposes.”

The Robots – hmm. One parallel for Deep Breath is that these seem to be time travelling robots like those. They had chronicles of Earths history, myths and legends (he shows Robin). Have to think about that.

“You can take the girl out of Blackpool…”

I’m liking Clara more and more (and I liked her last year). The added bolshiness that’s growing as her confidence does reminds me of Sheridan Smith’s Lucie Miller from the Eighth Doctor Audio Adventures (who was also a resident of Blackpool).

I laughed out loud at the scene in the dungeon, and the guards assessment that she was the ringleader (presumably based on the observable evidence that she was the voice of reason as the two idiots behaved like toddlers). Again – another good confrontation between her and the villain, with her prising the back story from the Sheriff (which was a pretty good turn by Ben Miller).

Anyway – that’s my first assessment. Loved it. Back this afternoon with more thoughts.

FiveFaces @fivefaces

I thought this was great: favourite bit was Ben Miller’s plan for world domination that @craig mentioned at the beginning, ‘After Lincoln, the world.’ Great stuff.

@wolfweed mentions the link to The Time Warrior. Maybe I’m seeing things, but I felt that there was an unusual number of possible references to old Who. We also got the miniscope from Carnival of Monsters. The spaceship disguised as a castle from State of Decay. Probably lots more that I’ll need to look for on a re-watch.

Anyway, in terms of theories, the fiction/reality theme here made me think of the idea of Missy as the the mistress of the Land of Fiction from The Mind Robber that was floating around after Deep Breath. The fact that she seems to be living in the Twostreams facility (anag. Two Masters) reminds us that there have been two ‘Masters’ in Doctor Who: the obvious one, and then the Master of the Land of Fiction, under the domination of the Master Brain (a foil for the Great Intelligence, perhaps). Robin’s vaguely Shakespearean dialogue made me think he was living in the Forest of Arden, not Sherwood. We’ve gone from the impossible girl to impossible heroes.

Oh, and the Doctor calling the TARDIS his property struck a chord with me when Robin replied ‘All property is theft.’ Didn’t the Doctor steal the TARDIS in the first place? (Or did he merely borrow it?)

FiveFaces @fivefaces

One point that struck me as rather unpleasant amidst all the fun was the Doctor’s rather unkind and repeated references to the fact that one of the Merry Men only had six months to live. Perhaps he was so convinced that they were fictional creations that he didn’t feel the need to care; or maybe this is just a touch of the Doctor’s more cynical side that has featured so much. I thought it was a bit gratuitous though.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hi All, thanks for the get well wishes @jimthefish @purofilan and @janetteb

Still with a swimmy head – I’m just popping in briefly to note that the Doctor’s spoon and black glove were very striking.

The Doctor Who fan fiction archive “A Teaspoon and an Open Mind” is named after a quote from the 4th Doctor in The Creature from the Pit  – “Well to be fair, I did have a couple of gadgets which he probably didn’t, like a teaspoon and an open mind”

The 12th Doc has a desert spoon here, but doesn’t have an open mind – he’s convinced Robin is a robot and such heroism can’t be real. Moreover the black glove reminded me of Captain Hook and Dr Strangelove – as if the Doctor has within himself something dark he needs to fight.

I saw quite a few folks are not in favour of a Valeyard story, but maybe we’re going to get one…

Anonymous @

ha ha @timeloop yes, Gretchen….but also Freidericke who in tales, was tall, thin, pale and had ‘pulmonary difficulties’.

She was left -by her companion -and the guilt never left him. I sense an interesting parallel….

I thought, just as I started to watch it (and foolishly commented on the other ep!) that it was Tom Riley  from Monroe and Lost in Austen where he played a simpering and cunning version of Wickham.

Marvellous actor – a great pace was set by him and I think a lot of the plot and the direction as well as the rollicking movement came from Riley’s performance. The lines, the ‘pissin’ contest, the lost keys, the head butt and the ‘he’s soiled himself’ was fabulous.

And at last, whilst I laughed but wasn’t fully engaged with the programme, I could appreciate a rest from ‘plot arcs’ and the ‘who is Missy questions’ But boy-Ilion said “best episode of the 3”, so maybe, a kids episode (or family episode) ?whereas next week’s might be the opposite (but I don’t know!).

The gold ‘motherboard’  for a computer they were making, looked a lot like the marble pieces made by Capaldi’s character in The Fires of Pompeii with the clairvoyant Phil Davis ultimately using these together to create the vast ‘Fire Beings’.

A second watch required tomorrow -pity I can’t have it on slo-motion. Loved the spoons btw!

puro.

Anonymous @

Ah, yes, ‘all property is theft was Proudhon’s line ?

JimboMcMaster @jimbomcmaster

@Bluesqueakpip – While this a cool idea, and I like it in some ways, overall I actually hope that his new bodies don’t come from his memories, but from a more biological source.

I like the idea that regeneration is just a reconfiguring of the genes a Time Lord already has, in sort of the way that humans inherit genes from their parents (some of which aren’t ‘used’ and are dormant) but with Time Lords those dormant genes can be used in subsequent regenerations. In other words, I prefer to think that the genes are all already within the Doctor from birth. I guess Time Lord parents would need to bequeath 13 times as many dormant genes to their offspring in this case.

Still, yours is a nice thought, I don’t mean to undermine an equally viable theory.

janetteB @janetteb

Finally watched it and really enjoyed it. It was just what I hoped it would be, a light hearted, swashbuckling romp. I felt that Capaldi was not entirely comfortable with the role at times. Is he too anxious to be the Doctor that he isn’t quite nailing it? Time will tell still there were moments of brilliance. The rivalry with Robin was brilliant. The Doctor likes to play the mythical hero and does not appreciate competition.

I did not take notes as I read through the above posts so I have already forgotten who said what. Someone objected to the Doctor’s callousness toward the outlaw with only six months to live. I don’t think it is callous, just a lack of social sensitivity.

Lovely inclusion of Patrick Troughton as Robin Hood reminding us that Robin Hood and the Doctor are both English myths. This episode was all rather “meta”. It also plays on the “good man” theme and the making of a legend.

@Purofilion I responded to your post on the Into the Dalek thread. I assuemed you were commenting there to avoid spoilers until you had finished watching the episode. I did not recognise Tom Riley. I don’t think I have seen him in anything since Lost in Austen; a favourite timey wimey story, where fiction becomes reality. Is his casting in this story a bit of a nod to his role as Wickham, another impossible character. this episode certainly had that “stepping into a story” feel. Robin Hood and his merry men were straight out of 19th century literature and 20th century Hollywood.

Loved Clara’s dress. Want one just like it for the next Medieval Fair. Will have to persuade one of the boys to go as the Doctor.

@jimbomcmaster like you theory about timelord DNA. It would explain why he is able to “revist” old faces though I suspect that, at the moment anyway, the Doctor has some ability to choose a face at random. I don’t think DNA has much to do with it.

Seems that The Promised Land is Robot Heaven. Reminds me of Kryton.

Cheers

Janette

janetteB @janetteb

On reading through the article on the BBC website, posted by the wonderful @wolfweed the mention of the minoscope caught my attention. Miniturisation again.. that is definitely a theme for this series and I suspect a clue to the mystery of Missy.

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

@geoffers

If you freeze this frame (but at a better resolution) you’ll see the ‘person’ better…

z

janetteB @janetteb

I have a new theory about Missy. Maybe she is inside Clara’s head as opposed to the Doctor’s head. Clara might have been “infected” when she followed the G.I into the Doctor’s timestream, in which case Missy would be the G.I. This means carrying on with the major “big bad” from the previous series which I suspect Moffat would not be inclined to do.

Cheers

Janette

Whisht @whisht

hm – I think I must’ve been in a grouchy mood or something last night!

I even used a word (“misstep”) that I never use so I’m gonna put down my reaction to this one as being indigestion.

🙂

I’ll watch again later and get ready to hu-rRAH! properly, whilst slapping my thigh.

Now, I’m gonna try channelling the Doctor’s use of an unusual question (in Deep Breath) to reveal some inner truth, for a bonkers theory.

Who made the promise?
    Who promised the robots this land?

And is that the answer itself?

Will the Doctor promise this land to the Robots and they are travelling to it in a timey wimey way?
    Rather than a guardian of ‘heaven’, is Missy simply the first arrival?

The next question would be why would he promise them it…?

[gonna need to find my tinfoil hat cos I want to try and incorporate the promise to Gretchen about doing something wonderful before she died/went to ‘heaven’; Missy being the one initially promised to; robots becoming more ‘human’; The Papal Mainframe; soufle (licked from the spoon?); and Clara]

😉

Brewski @brewski

Have to re-watch and re-read the comments.  But first thoughts:

Loved the Doctor’s line about punching Robin in the face.  How badass is that?

More chalk boards.  Definitely something going on there.

I am pretty sure it was intended as a red herring, but the very classic-Master-looking Sheriff came into frame at the exact moment that he said “Master”.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Unfinished mask by Millenium FX…
    z

Arbutus @arbutus

Initial reaction: that was lovely. I was ready for some fun and that delivered big time. Perfect cast, lots of humour and Errol Flynnery! I was just about to be hugely disappointed in the notion that Robin Hood was real, when we got that great bit of dialogue at the end about heroes, myths, and time lords! Just perfect. And a clever twist, because I was expecting Robin to be some form of fake.

This Doctor really doesn’t want to be anyone’s hero. It isn’t just that he doesn’t care, it really makes him uneasy.

No Missy this time, but the Promised Land. I’m pleased with the very brief injections of story arc in this series.

I really like this Doctor.

History is a burden. Stories can make us fly.     🙂

WhoGirl @whogirl

Thoroughly enjoyed ‘Robot of Sherwood’, a jolly romp of an English folklore with a robot twist- love it. I always enjoy Mark Gatiss’ episodes, and I think you can tell he enjoys writing them as much as we enjoy watching them.
    Some classic lines, Scots and vegetables springs to mind! Loved the banter between the Doctor and ‘Hoody’, and the fact the Doctor wouldn’t believe he was real. (Hoody was brilliantly portrayed by Tom Riley, and Ben Miller’s Sheriff was fantastic.)

I know some people were disappointed and thought it silly, but I think it’s good to have an episode that is light-hearted and a bit of fun. Some episodes get fairly dark, and you really have to concentrate, so it’s nice to have a break from it and sit back and laugh out loud.
    Next weeks episode looks a tad on the dark side, looking forward to it!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 238 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.