S33 (7) 11 – Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 11 – Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

This topic contains 656 replies, has 53 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 657 total)
  • Author
    ScaryB @scaryb

@whisht A fish seems likeliest – they’re the new target demographic, LOL

Yikes! Just remembered I forgot to turn off the bath taps (@whohar‘s kindly donated monster-bath) – Luxury accommodation for the Fishy Clan, beside the sofa, in the interests of drier speculation for the rest of us…  <been running since Sat, should be nearly done 😉  >

HaveYouFedTheFish @haveyoufedthefish

@miapatrick – interesting … with a slight modification, if I may? Actually it’s Amy who created this universe from her memories, and she’s the one still actively creating stories – she’s an actual, bona fide author!

But maybe every time *she* writes a story that includes Barnabus, the Doctor looses a memory?

I have no idea why that might be, though!

ardaraith @ardaraith

so, the next Doctor as far as I can tell from this forum is either going to be:
    d) a fish

@whisht – I just spit my tea

@whisht – a fish. Obviously.

They’re the superior life form (sorry, birds. But you know it’s true.)

@timeloop – i think we need arbitration from someone who can remember the episodes. I swear I remember him saying that the swimming pool is in the library now. 😀

In Castrovalva (classic series) the doctor converted 25% of the mass of the tardis into energy to provide the power to avoid being sucked into Event One (The big bang. You know – the first one.). Chris Bidmead was obsessed by e=mc^2. Or as Johnny Byrne rather poetically put it: energy is matter set free.

Actually you raise a good point – how is he going to explain an live-and-kicking Clara to the gang? How’s he going to stop them saying “but you’re dead” to her (which can put a dampener on an evening)

ScaryB @scaryb

@HaveYouFedTheFish @miapatrick Interesting – so Amy writes stories, River also; Clara is written ON (“skin like parchment”)

@scaryb – note to Amy: please stop using Clara as notepaper. See me after class.

Polaris @polaris

@haveyoufedthefish @davemorris316 great idea.

It may not be related but I just re watched the snowmen which i think is when he first see the new TARDIS interior. When Clara first discovers and walks round the TARDIS, the exterior looks normal. But when she then goes back to it with the doctor escaping the ice governess (about 40min) it’s absolutely filthy and brown in parts.

Could be just continuity?

Timeloop @timeloop

@HaveYouFedTheFish just for you:

amilia:”are you okay?” “Just had a fall right down there, right to the liberary. Hell of a climb back up” “You are soaking wet.” “I was in teh swimming pool” “You said you were in the liberary” “so is the swimming pool” (swept there) “are you a policemen?” “why?…”

Sry, transcript takes me a while

Sorry – Stephen Gallagher not Johnny Byrne (under the pseudonym “John Lydecker”, hence my John-based confusion)

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@scaryb – in Time of Angels Amy and Rory rewrite the plot that River wrote:

but the Doctor has to follow the script.

@polaris – good spotting my starry friend! I hadn’t spotted that. We generally have a rule that “there is no such thing as a continuity error. (Except when there is, obviously)”.

But that’s such a major difference it seems really unlikely it’s continuity. They’ll have filmed all those scenes consecutively on the set, and there is a continuity manager* on set who’s sole job it is to play “spot the difference” between takes. Generally continuity errors happen when the editor nicks some frames from a completely different take because the fit is better with the beat of a scene (but this then overrides the continuity managers careful watch during actual filming). It just seems unlikely.

So is that a big hint that the Doc went for a wander somewhere part way through the story? I wonder what for?

* As a student I lived in a flat frequently rented out for film/tv production, which we loved because we got to live off free sandwiches from the production caterers. They’d leave scenes set up overnight and we were not supposed to touch *anything*. As if. We delighted in making the CM’s job a living nightmare by seeing what we could get away with moving that she wouldn’t notice in the morning. But that woman was amazing – she literally measured where props were laid out with a ruler every morning.

However one thing I did get away with – and I swear this in an episode or Morse somewhere – is we replaced a small family photograph with a picture of my penis with a pair of spectacles balanced on it. Literally didn’t spot my wood for the trees.

True story.

@timeloop – awesome! Self-arbitration – my favourite kind!

Timeloop @timeloop

@HaveYouFedTheFish =) Just watched the whole episode (jumped a bit) and there is another notion at the end:

“when I was a kid, you said there was a swimming pool and a liberary. and the swimming pool was IN the liberary.” “yeah, not sure where it has gone to now, but it will turn up. So? Comming?”

There are so many good theories here – watching what SM came up with could be a let-down in comparison =(

While I am at it: I never could understand (acustically – english is not my first language and he is kinda mumbling) what the doctor said to river in that one episode after his death (the impossible astronaut) when refuses to investigate. “River you yadayadayada , but to trust you….” never got that right. Does anyone know?

chickenelly @chickenelly

…just rewatched the episode to hoover up any clues and spots I may have missed.  One thing which occurred, bringing us back to the fairy tale/story telling idea is that three brothers/sisters is a familiar trope in these kind of stories.  Their Dutch names also stood out for me and put me in mind of Washington Irving – particularly Rip Van Winkle.  As it is a story about time passing then no-one remembering you it might be another bit of catnip for us speculators.

Oh, speaking of which SPE-CU-LATE is another Dalekism surely?

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@haveyoufedthefish

I quite like your theory. Well, in so far as it will see Smith intervene in whatever crisis led to Hartnell’s departure from Gallifrey to ensure he or he and Susan gets away safely.

This might actually feed into Susan being Clara.

The reason Smith has to intervene is because Susan turning into Clara is necessary for him to survive – say. Because she has Idris inside her. To revive his memories which the GI have stolen.

Say the GI takes the Doctor’s memories and realises that if Hartnell can be stopped from leaving Gallifrey, the Doctor will never be an issue for the GI – but the GI will have his memories and his TARDIS and can control the Universe. The GI tries to set up a paradox in its favour.

The rules about the Time Lock have been set by the Doctor. So he may have a way into Gallifrey – and if the GI have the Doctor’s memories they know the way in.

Hmmm……yes, it is quite possible. And if its done well, it would be wonderful.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@wolfweed– Thank you! I can’t believe I only just twigged-

I can’t help thinking at least that Moffat has read the book, and it is an influence- maybe one of the reasons I’ve taken to 11 so much is because Moffat’s Who was reminding me of this. Names, memories, stories…

@htpbdet –  replace kovarian with the GI or daleks or even a 3 way race to the prize race.  All works for me!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@haveyoufedthefish– modify away! yes, I had a thought after I posted, Amy re-booted the universe from her memories, and ended up writing stories.

@scaryb– not only is she written on, Clara has fairly few memories of her own. One that she does have, she tells the girl in TROA, about getting lost, and her mother finding her then telling her a ‘story’ that wherever she is, her mother would find her. Which I thought at the time was an odd, potentially ambiguous use of the word ‘story’. The word implied cynicism to me at the time, but that wasn’t how she was telling it.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@bluesqueakpip

The Doctor slowly becoming a mirror to Omega

I like this.  A lot. Foreshadowing, or perhaps just a subtle reference to how other people were coming to regard the doctor in a way not dissimilar to how the TimeLords viewed Omega… nice legend but generally a nuisance if he turns up.  Ties in with the other mirroring/duplication we’ve been seeing.  Although that sets me wondering if the Doctor-enforced absence of the TimeLords has allowed others to deify Omega (and despise the Doctor simultaneously), what with religious armies displaying his name?

@phileasf @juniperfish – John Simm dragged up in End Of Time.  Maybe he liked it.  And just maybe a career in IT retail finally sated the burning hunger inside him?   I’ve got it – The Master has been trying to annoy the Doctor by handing out his phone number to every computer illiterate in London.

@haveyoufedthefish – love the idea of 11 stealing the TARDIS and giving it to 1, delightfully circular. I was wondering with some of the speculation above whether 1 left with Susan for her protection because she was more than just a timelord (to twist on the cartmel plan for the 7th doc).  It would presumably involve 11 going back to Gallifrey?  I’ve been expecting the Timelock to get unlocked sometime soon, there must be something momentous in the anniversary plot surely (other than what has been officially announced)?

On a similar TARDISy note, the Doctors attitude to her has been interesting – very protective for 3 eps, not taking her into battle in BoSJ, going to great lengths to get a space bike thing in TRoA rather than using his own transport (although I suspect that one was clumsy plotting more than anything), reactivating the HADS in CW – it’s like he’s been expecting something to happen to her, yet his fears seem to have been well founded in JTTCOTT.  What was/is he expecting?  Was it this almost explosion or something more?

@lula – my sisters nickname, good choice 🙂 American or no, I always wanted Christopher Lloyd to become the Doctor, just to link my favourite childhood film trilogy with my favourite childhood tv show by merging docs!  I do agree, John Noble would be a great guest star.  Maybe if Omega were ever able to take physical form in this universe again…!?

Lula @lula

@OsakaHatter –Lula is also my nickname, given to me by my sister-in-law, 15 years ago.  Most of my friends and my husband’s family refer to me as Lula now, so it is serving me well.  I’m also a big fan of Back to the Future, and Christopher Lloyd.  Same with Fringe–because I love time travel and alternate realities more than most things.  And I still don’t know enough about Omega, but I would LOVE to have John Noble on Who, as I regularly state.

WhoHar @whohar

@scaryb

and feel like I’ve dropped a tab of acid

and feel like I’ve dropped a tab of acid, apparently…

@htpbdet

I actually can’t remember the provenance of the Doc being 300 y.o when he left Gallifrey for the first time. I’ve dusted it down from somewhere but am quite prepared to be wrong. Either way, the current Doc does appear to be 1200 y.o now.

@ardaraith

All that talk from Matt and Clara was just that…nothing in the show (yet). Interesting about the Dalek link – could just be the prod team messing with our minds (again).

@haveyoufedthefish

This is a nice – a 50 year (our time) / 900 year (Doc’s time) timeloop / paradox. A few issues to be resolved though, but nothing that Moffat couldn’t do I’m sure.

What if Doc 11 alters Doc 1’s timeline (eg by giving him the current Tardis instead of the original one) – that would rewrite Doc’ 2-8, perhaps only slightly.

I think Moffat is keen on rationalising the anomalies in the Classic series (eg the Unit dating conundrum, Doc 3 saying he was 1000’s of years old, Doc 8 claiming to be half human and the 13 regen rule) and may use the 50th as a way of doing that. Somehow.

Oh a passing thought I had – a little while back I poo-pooed the idea that the could mix matt/jlc into old footage because of quality issues in a HD world (@craig agreeing)

I did later thing of a get out clause – if they went all split screen 24 style, probably as a montage, the reduced size of each panel might just let them get away with it.

Maybe.

Is there such a thing as Obsessive Posting Disorder?

Cos I appear to have a pretty bad dose …

elwingt @elwingt

I’ve been lurking since Saturday and thoroughly enjoying myself! I love the bonkers theories, I just haven”t had much to contribute to them.

I am on-board with Clara as Susan tho. I haven’t watched any Classic Who, but Susan does seem to be a really tantalising loose end, especially for Moffat. I agree that children in some form or the other have been on his mind and might culminate with having Susan back.

I also think the 50th will in some form or the other address the Time War. Either by giving us an insight into the Doctor’s role or by resolving it altogether and having the Time Lords make a come back.

I am a bit concerned that Clara will now be meeting Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax. Like I think @timeloop mentioned, how will they handle it? The Doctor will need to do some quick explaining to cover that up.

Harking all the way back to Saturday tho, that was such a cracking episode! I really love Smith, he is just such fun as the Doctor. I was just gawking at the TARDIS interior and it took a re-watch or two to really get it.

I really liked the initial theories suggesting that the exploding TARDII are tied up with the others. But now I’m loving the idea of @haveyoufedthefish and @adaraith had about this being 1’s TARDIS, and 11 somehow ending up giving it to him! That would be sufficiently time-wimey and such a lot of fun to show on film.

Just wanted to drop a line in saying that I really like this space :), the Guardian is a scary place sometimes. I’m a born lurker, but at least I feel ok enough to say something here from time to time. There, I wouldn’t dare!

Carry on! 🙂

I’ll definitely join in if I suddenly get bonkers theories of my own

elwingt @elwingt

I misspelled you @ardaraith! Just wanted to give you props (as they say in my adopted homeland) for your TARDIS theory.

WhoHar @whohar

@elwingt‘s

Glad you feel comfortable enough on here to post but you are welcome to just lurk. The only compulsory thing here seems to be bonkers theories. 🙂

WhoHar @whohar

@elwingt

Looks like you are on the night shift with a bunch of us Aussie dwellers. We also have people in the US and Denmark, as well as all over the UK. Welcome.

Lula @lula

@elwingt  Hey!  You must not be in the UK, because it’s after 3 am there and this place gets really quiet when it’s 10:45 p.m. for me, on the eastern side of the United States.  But in the morning it’s already been a party in here for hours, so that’s fun.

Apropos of nothing, I’m watching Arrow, which is delightful because of John Barrowman and Alex Kingston–using an American accent.  And Colin Salmon (“Dr. Moon”).  The producers/writers of Arrow must be Whovians.

janetteB @janetteb

Just a quick post before heading out to lunch. @lula, good work on picking up all the Omega references. I haven’t watched the older stories in which he featured since I was a teenager so I don’t really remember the character. However going back to “Snowmen”, the Doctor assumes that Simeon imprinted the snow with his thoughts and feelings but the snow was already sentient thank to the G.I. the identity of which remains a mystery. It seems as though there must be someone behind the G.I. Perhaps that is Omega. Omega could also be controlling “the Papal Mainframe”. A lot of the “big bads” in the past three years have been working for some background power. We never find out who Madam Kovarian is working for.

Cheers

Janette

elwingt @elwingt

@whohar I haven’t yet been able to come up with my own, but am so totally enjoying all the speculation here. This just adds another layer of enjoyment to the process.

@lula yup, I’m on EST too. John Barrowman and Alex Kingston together definitely merits a watch, will try and catch it somewhere. The other show that does nods (albeit really subtle) to Doctor Who is Supernatural. Which is just really fluffy, fun TV. I love those brothers! I wonder if SPN forums have people complaining about DEMs tho? Cos, that’s pretty much how that show operates, with literal gods too 🙂

Lula @lula

@elwingt –Wednesday night is for Arrow & Supernatural!  Yes, I watch SPN–tonight’s was full of Crowley and Castiel, which is what makes me happy.  Mark Sheppard is every fandom. The first 8 or so episodes of Arrow were entertaining, but nothing particularly exciting.  Since February, however, it’s gotten much better.  Barrowman & Kingston’s characters don’t interact, but it is enjoyable having them on the same show.

@janetteb— it won’t surprise me if most of the Big Bads from S5-7 are connected to one background power. (That’d be the perfect story arc!)  I just don’t know enough about Omega to begin to speculate.  But I do think it’s rather interesting that we’ve had Omega symbols scattered throughout these past three series.  Moffat doesn’t seem to be big on coincidences.  Also, I need to watch more classic Who.  BBC America is airing a special about each Doctor at the end of every month this year–“The Doctors Revisited.”  (Is BBC One airing these in the UK?)  Sunday’s featured Baker–fourth month, fourth Doctor.  At the end of the special they air an episode from that particular Doctor.  I have Baker’s episode on my DVR–need to watch soon.

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

@lula – I’m convinced that Omega is there somewhere…

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

@haveyoufedthefish

Some birds eat fish. So there!

@juniperfish:

On a dark Doctor to come, I refer you to the words of Dorium Maldovar (whom @bobbingbird once famously thought was “responsible for everything”) in The Wedding of River Song:

You’re a man with a long and dangerous past. But your future is infinitely more terrifying. The Silence believe it must be averted.

You just won’t let me forget that, will you! Damn fish.
    Though I am still basking in my “fixed point in time colliding with a time in flux” theory. They were my glory days, never to be forgotten (Ok – I’ll never forget them. The rest of you probably already have.

Bobbingbird @bobbingbird

Squawk. I got the styling completely wrong there – and the edit button seems to have disappeared.

Should read:
    @juniperfish

On a dark Doctor to come, I refer you to the words of Dorium Maldovar (whom @bobbingbird once famously thought was “responsible for everything”) in The Wedding of River Song:

You’re a man with a long and dangerous past. But your future is infinitely more terrifying. The Silence believe it must be averted.

You just won’t let me forget that, will you! Damn fish.
    Though I am still basking in my “fixed point in time colliding with a time in flux” theory. They were my glory days, never to be forgotten (Ok – I’ll never forget them. The rest of you probably already have.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@bobbingbird. Your (double) post reminded me of @juniperfish‘s continuing belief in the dark Doctor.

I do not dispute the words of Dorium, @juniperfish, my fishy friend, but I am not at all sure that the Silence or indeed Madame Kovorian (which, as I recall, you also quoted) are the best examples to draw upon. They might think that the Doctor is a terrible fellow–as do the Daleks (or did, when they could remember him), but they are none of them what I would call, well…nice people. In other words, of course THEY will think he is dark. But they would, wouldn’t they?

I think that the Doctor has already been to his “dark” point under Moffat. It was when River berated him: “Doctor. We get that name from you, you know. But what will it mean if you continue…” (Sorry, forgotten the exact words).

But dark now? I think not.

Actually, those words of River’s may prove important in “The Name of the Doctor”. hmm.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-parent:””;
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:”Calibri”,”sans-serif”;
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

I’m new on here. Hello. Thought I might join in…
    Here are some words/themes which seem to have acquired importance in Dr Who of late:
    Ghost, hide, run, memory/salvage/remember, egg, red, RUCBAR123
    All have a link to computers, I think.
    1.       GHOST: If you want to back up your hard drive centrally and reinstall it in several other places, you can do so by creating a ghost image and reinstall it using ghost software. We have already seen that a person’s soul can be uploaded, stored and downloaded in the same way as data (TBOSJ). I think that somewhere in the cosmos is an uploaded “ghost image” of Clara, which can be downloaded to various places and times.
    2.       MEMORY/SALVAGE/REMEMBER/SAVE: All of these words point to data storage. Again, this “data” could take the form of people’s souls, and their stories (which the Doctor tells us are the same thing as souls in TROA).
    Pe    I know very little about computing (without Google I am nothing). I am hoping that someone far cleverer than me will flesh these ideas out and make sense of them. Either that or dismiss them as utter rubbish. Either way, here are some more…
    3.       EGG: (Think “Blink”) Easter Eggs are hidden programmes in games, operating systems, etc. You need to know the right code or command words in order to activate an otherwise dormant and invisible programme.
    4.       RUN: Indicates that the computer is to execute the command which follows.
    5.       HIDE: You can “hide” a file or programme (or indeed an Easter egg). It can’t be seen or known by anyone who doesn’t know the “magic words” so to speak.
    6.       RUCBAR 123: Clara says this every time she is about to die.
          So…  What if RUBCAR is the password that activates the hidden Easter egg that causes a new Clara to be downloaded somewhere else in the universe? In this way she can’t exactly die. Yet she can die many times over. Personally, I think that the current companion Clara is the original Clara, and that she will at some point be uploaded and required to choose a password which will trigger a new download of her centrally stored data in emergencies. She will choose RUCBAR123 because it happened to be her internet password at home.
    7.       RED: C00 (C zero zero) is computer code for a deep red colour.  COO = Clara Oswin Oswald.
    Remember “Crimson, eleven, delight, petrichor”? Does anyone else think this sequence will acquire renewed significance soon?
    And finally, not related to (and probably contradicting) everything I have just said: In the dark room in Hide, is it possible the Doctor saw something he didn’t like in one of the developing photos? During the conversation (“What do you think she is?” “Not what I thought she’d be” “What did you think she’d be?” “Fun) I am certain the doctor is talking about Clara, and that what he is looking at in the photo is something Clara-related that concerns him. Could it be that Clara doesn’t come out in photographs for some reason?

Hello @idiotsavon. Welcome!

Love the computer-related list.

Especially #6 and #7.

The idea that the words “Run you clever boy, run” might be the key to download her is brilliant. But…didn’t she say those words to the Doctor (when she thought he was the help-line) in The Bells of St John when she was trying to connect to the WiFi? And yet she was only uploaded after she clicked on the symbol, not because of saying those words? (Have I got that right?) Anyway, the juxtaposition between the words and being uploaded  is tantalisingly close.

And I love the fact that the computer code for deep red is C(lara)O(swin)O(swald)!

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

I am new here. Hello. I’ve been really enjoying reading this forum and thought I’d join in.

So, here are some words/themes which seem to have acquired importance in Dr Who of late:

Ghost, hide, run, memory/salvage/remember, egg, red, RUCBAR123

All have a link to computers.

1.       GHOST: If you want to back up your hard drive centrally and reinstall it in several other places, you can do so by creating a ghost image and reinstall it using ghost software. We have already seen that a person’s soul can be uploaded, stored and downloaded in the same way as data (TBOSJ). I think that somewhere in the cosmos is an uploaded “ghost image” of Clara, which can be downloaded to various places and times.

2.       MEMORY/SALVAGE/REMEMBER/SAVE: All of these words point to data storage. Again, this “data” could take the form of people’s souls, and their stories (which the Doctor tells us are the same thing as souls in TROA).

I know very little about computing (without Google I am nothing). Hopefully, someone far cleverer than me will flesh out these suggestions and make sense of them. Either that or dismiss them as utter rubbish. Either way, here are some more…

3.       EGG: (Think “Blink”) Easter Eggs are hidden programmes in games, operating systems, etc. You need to know the right code or command words in order to activate an otherwise dormant and invisible programme.

4.       RUN: Indicates that the computer is to execute the command which follows.

5.       HIDE: You can “hide” a file or programme (or indeed an Easter egg). It can’t be seen by anyone who doesn’t know the “magic words” so to speak.

6.       RUCBAR 123: Clara says this every time she is about to die.

What if RUCBAR is the password that activates the hidden Easter egg that causes a new Clara to be downloaded somewhere else in the universe? In this way she can’t exactly die. Yet she can die many times over. Personally, I think that the current companion Clara is the original Clara, and that she will at some point have to be uploaded, and will choose a password which will trigger a new download of her centrally stored data, in case of emergencies. She will choose RUCBAR123 because it happened to be her internet password at home.

7.       RED: C00 (C zero zero) is computer code for a deep red colour.  COO = Clara Oswin Oswald.

Remember “Crimson, eleven, delight, petrichor”? Does anyone else think this sequence will acquire renewed significance soon?

Not necessarily related to (and probably contradicting) the above points… In the dark room in Hide, I wondered whether the Doctor saw more in the photos than he was letting on. The conversation (“What do you think she is?” “Not what I thought she’d be.” “What did you think she’d be?” “Fun”) seems to refer to Clara and I felt the Doctor may be concerned about  something Clara-related in the picture. Could it be that Clara does not come out in photographs?

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

Sorry. I was trying to delete my original post (which has a load of nonsense at the beginning) and replace it with a normal-looking comment. All I’ve ended up doing is posting twice. That’s not good form.

Anyway thank you for your welcome.

I know what you mean about her saying those words on the helpline. It’s a bit contrived, but I’m going to guess that originally RUCBAR was just a normal internet password, and “run you clever boy run” was just a random way to remember it. At some point later on, Clara will have to be uploaded to a ghost image, and she will come up with an emergency password that will activate a cloning program. She will choose the password RUCBAR that she already knows. Later versions of Clara (in Snowmen and AOTD) will say the password just before dying. As viewers of both episodes, we assumed that Clara was talking to the doctor (“You clever boy”) but she could have just been reciting a password.

I’m not sure about it, but it’s worth a punt.

@idiotsavon. No problem. Deleting is dificult, but there is an edit function, that functions for about 4 minutes after you post.

I really think you are onto something with “Run you clever boy, and remember” as a password to upload her.

The other thing that has struck me about her saying those words in “Asylum” and “Snowmen” is that she breaks the 4th wall and turns directly to the audience.  Not sure what Moffat is intending by that yet, though.

adlerinthelibrary @adlerinthelibrary

The resistance to name the Doctor reminds me of Childhood’s End, by C. Clarke, we all have a past universal collective imprint from the future telling us to fear that name or image because we know that after we’ve actually learn it, it’s the beginning of our demise. But you can’t help falling in love with them, right?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I’m convinced that Omega is there somewhere…

@bobbingbird Combine with the Dark Doctor theory and the finale title: suppose the Doctor drops the name of The Doctor and takes the name of Omega. His title is, after all, now the Omega Time Lord (last of the Time Lords)

@bobbingbird – look, you guys just behave yourselves when the our friends the pigs finally start showing up on here. We know what you are like … 😀

Hmmmm … Since weve been talking about the doctor founding his own new gallifrey, how about this: omega, off in his own little anti matter universe emulates his erstwhile compadre Rassilon and founds his own antiM TimeLord society, where just like rassilon he’s venerated like a demi god?

When our lot escape the time lock, and omegas lot escape into this universe, well … there’s only one word for it:

Holy Time Wars, Batman!

Oh oh oh! And the DNA basis of omegas timelords (since omegas original body has been obliterated) is the doctors, acquired during arc of infinity. An army of doctor clones! (although the don’t have to look like him, they’ll have their own distinct faces as they regenerate). And as a little timey wimey cherry, Hartnells doc is actually a reformed omega-doctor clone – that’s his big secret. Omega is the Doctors Alpha…

😀

Also, is it just me, or does Omega v1 look a lot like the angry metal brother of Bungle from Rainbow?

Also, his watches are rubbish.

Timeloop @timeloop

@idiotsavon welcome! The password is such a good point!!!!!! It is hidden in plain sight and can mean something. rycbar123 could also refer to clara and her history. maybe even the numbers have a meaning so that only not olny her dying-phrase is there but it tells us viewers that there are only tree versions of her. 1 dead, 2 dead, 3 last call – only 3 claras ? If clara has been deliberatly placed in that times so that the doctor could find her and investigate her past…. leading him to a dangerous future to the fields of trenzalore.

@elwingt welcome! I feel exactly the same. A very warm atmosphere around here, otherwise I would have never joined the conversation. All the bonkers theories are quite addictive though.

heard something from SM in an old episode: the answer must be as much a riddle as the question(Rivers heritage). A little disheartening =/ So we might learn nothing in ep. 8 at all ='(

HTPBDET @htpbdet

@iditosavan    Some bright spark – not sure who, but very clever – suggested quite some time ago that Clara’s phrase meant – Run (as in activate) You Clever Boy (being a programme about the Doctor and his memories) and Remember (being the consequences of the programme being run).

I have always thought that was an inspired idea – and feeds into the notion of Clara being there to help the Doctor find himself, in her Mary Poppins mode as I like to think of her.

What was most interesting though was that the password in Bells seemed to have been created by Angie, the girl Clara is governess too. If it is not just a co-incidence, does that mean that Angie – and her brother – are more than they seem? Are they what is hidden in plain sight?

And, if so, what could they be? Regenerated Time Lords? Human relatives of the Doctor? Relatives of River? The Doctor’s children being looked after by a regenerated Susan – none of whom really know what they are? Not sure…but there is something about those children…

As to Omega…well, anything is possible. I think I would be more warm to the idea of a return of Omega if we had seen an indication of the symbol again somewhere this season – but I am not sure we have. Silver Nightmare, though, could be a place where it might turn up.

Omega of course was the First Time Lord and the Doctor is the last Time Lord – so is his name Alpha? (Frankly, I would vomit if it was, despite the symmetry)

But, I agree with those who speculate that we will not hear his name but we will find out why he is called “the Doctor” – and I doubt it is going to be pretty. He has doctored something and caused a problem – I think, probably a problem that cost lives, perhaps those of his family apart from Susan and perhaps his Mother.

Whatever – I feel certain the GI is after the Doctor and the TARDIS and that somehow they will get one or both and then Clara – possibly with River, who may or may not be her grandmother (still cant see how she could be) – will work with Doctor 10 and Doctor 1 to bring back Doctor 11 – what a remarkable thing if Doctor 1 and Doctor 10 give Doctor 11 a “push” (a la K’anpo Rimpoche from Planet of the Spiders) to start his regeneration.

Anonymous @

@idiotsavon – wow, what a lot of great ideas in your post!

Your ‘ghosting’ and ‘egg’ theories really make sense with everything we’ve seen so far in Moffat’s reign (and of course Easter eggs were in Blink, which Moffat wrote).  Your red = C00 is insipired!

But your password theory is a blinder.  In re Clara saying it to camera (i.e., to the viewier, i.e., to the universe) is definitely important.  But what it reminded me of that extremely sentimental plot point where Martha went round the world to get everyone to say ‘Doctor’ at the right time.  Are we, the universe supposed to be remembering Clara? (by the way, 123 could refer to 3 Claras, but it’s also important for computer passwords to have numbers as well as letters so it may just have been that; it could have been RYCBAR1 but RYCBAR123 works better within the arc for 3 Claras).

Anonymous @

@ Everyone with Omega theories – there is a rich vein of Classic Who history to be mined here, including loose ends to be tied up before moving on to a new era of the show.

However, I’m a nu-Who afficianado and a Classic Who ignorant, and there are a lot of people out there like me.  If Moffat folds Omega into this rich stew then I hope there is a potted history of his time in Classic Who to ensure that we understand what his character’s return means in the 50-year arc.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 657 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.