The Cloven Hoof

Home Forums General The Cloven Hoof

This topic contains 915 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 916 total)
  • Author
    ichabod @ichabod

Well, hot diggity dog — I am the Doctor!  I’m not really 2,000 yrs old, though, even if I sometimes *feel* that way.  But “many mistakes”?  Um.  Yas . . . might as well cop to it.  Still chuffed, though.

Best of all, the long wait is nearly over — Anybody know how the schedule works?  Will they be done with all the actual shooting — and probably most of post-production, at least for the earlier episodes — by the time Capaldi & co show up at ComiCon in San Diego, the weekend after this one?

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

I’m also Mr Spock. I can only presume it’s because I think the heroic habit of running straight towards the mysterious object is bloody silly. 😉

Anonymous @

@denvaldron – Thanks for the Doctor Who links. My electricity has been off all morning, but now it’s back on and you’ve given plenty of stuff to keep me busy for a while.

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip I must admit running into strange objects at full pelt is a bad habit of mine.

Look: lights! Let’s go see. Aliens? No!

Boat people?

(as Hon PM would have us refer to them)

Definitely.

Anonymous @

@all I was watching a rather good episode of this all female English cop show called Scot and Bailey.  The woman who plays Rachel -is the Tardis? Quite a stunner and the directing isn’t bad at all. A female director too and a DI who is very strong and thoughtful. Scot was in Midnight -Leslie…someonearother…. typically I have no name connections, here.

Typically, everyone appears to be a bad copper, a stalker or a nutter…generally all three. Still, pretty good.

Hmm.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish Loving the pink beret. Keep it sexy!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@jimthefish Did the “Which sci-fi hero are you?” and result – came out as Mal Reynolds (Firefly). “You like to play the joker occasionally, but when the chips are down you can be relied on to do the right thing. Sure, you’d rather stay out of other people’s business – but sometimes you just have to misbehave.”

Think I’ll take the rest of the day off.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig

#sexyscifi

Damn, I wanted Mal Reynolds. Jealous.

Kharis @kharis

I have yet to try the SF test, but I did find a fun site that gives a Myers-Briggs type for each Doctor.  I can’t seem to cut and paste on this site or I would paste the link.  This is the only site my paste button doesn’t work on?  This forum demands I use the Ctrl button to paste, but it’s a tablet without that option.  I will have to type it out old school style, here goes: mbtifiction.com/current-wips/    Hope I got it right.  A lot of fun character analysis blogs on this site.  Enjoy.

I love Moffet, and am a huge fan, but I honestly enjoy most of the writers of the Whoverse.  Richard Curtis wrote one of my all-time favorite Who episode’s, and the power of Doomsday can’t be denied. I also enjoyed all of the Doctors, I have my favorites, sure, but I sincerely enjoyed all of the Doctor’s regenerations.  I also liked all of the companions.  I have never found myself annoyed or dissatisfied with any of the writers, companions or Doctors. Because of this, my posts will be weak in the ranting sections I suppose, but I can get very wrapped up in praising my favorite Doctors, companions and writers.  Best to admit upfront I DO think Moffet is a genius, and I am often partial to the 4th, 11th and 12th Doctors.  Also noticed some lack of love for Rory, River and Amy in a few posts by some inactive members, but I shamelessly love those characters.   So now everyone here knows my prejudices.  🙂

So far, this site has by far the most in-depth and interesting posts about Doctor Who.  I have been slowly reading old threads.

Kharis @kharis

Ellen Ripley? Have never seen the movies, so I can’t comment on the validity of that.

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@kharis — If you haven’t seen the original Alien then that’s something you should probably remedy in all haste. (Assuming you’re old enough to view an 18 certificate and even if you’re not, you should probably do it anyway.)

Kharis @kharis

@jimthefish Will remedy that as soon as I have a large enough window to watch a whole movie.  Most of my sci-fi I get through books, so I tend to be behind on movie witching.  Great screen name BTW.   Have you built that dam yet? 😉

Right now I am in the Who zone and looking forward to a possible season nine trailer this week.

Anonymous @

@kharis

wot? No ranting? No, “I hate this but prefer this?” But that’s great! As they are wonderful, aren’t they? Whether it’s ‘screaming’ Susan with Dr Hartnell, we still love her knowing she was a product of her time in that particular role.

And I’ll always love Rory myself particularly in… Roman cavalry bells are ringing…my swords and shields….

Ah. Hang on, the Tardis/Coldplay/puro interface is stuffing up….

Yes, the Rory delivering a message to Colonel Runaway was one kick-ass dude.

I would agree with @jimthefish that watching Alien is a must. But Real Life and time, they interfere with ….telly watching.

Enjoy all the threads, for when S9 explodes onto screens there’ll be a veritable pile up “on the motorway”

Kindest, puro.

Kharis @kharis

I seriously can’t wait for season 9! Love the Coldplay/DW mash-up.  Nice.  🙂 The Whovian Who Waited.

@jimthefish

How are you doing with Greeks Bearing Debts? Or have they got you holding the fort while everyone else discovers they have a great idea for a vox pop story on some beautiful Greek island? 😉

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip — your words are more true than you know. Everyone (except me 🙁 ) does seem to be buggering off to Greece on ‘a great idea for a colour piece’ type things while my life is full of ‘haircuts’ and ‘defaults’, shock referenda and evil Troika at the moment…

@jimthefish

I sympathise. I’ve been in things where the other cast members are off to Prague and I’ve got Deptford Town Hall. 🙂

So, out there in the universe there is clearly a design engineer who wanted to create special effects for Doctor Who.

Unfortunately, they got a job making kitchen appliances.

(The video of it in action is probably NSW. Really)

Which SF hero are you? Kinda fun.

Scully.

Pick the bones out of that!

Anonymous @

@pedant I did the hero quiz and can’t recall what I was! I think I was Ripley. I think. But Scully is cool -haven’t seen X Files in years. And even then, without a video recorder, it was sporadic watching.

Are you a fan of Farscape? @arbutus and I are having a group watch although I seem to have stalled at the end of S1 -which is a worry as it’s a cliff hanger of a cliff hanger (if there is such a thing)

@bluesqueakpip  excellent link indeed. And I think you’re right.

Kindest, puro (must dash into rain. Need brolly and other rain paraphernalia)

Arbutus @arbutus

Just back from two weeks holiday and look at everything I’ve missed. There’s a new trailer! @blenkinsopthebrave is back! @wolfweed is back! Various erudite debates! A brand new shiny troll! (Looking forward to more of those when the new series starts, just for @pedant‘s pithy put-downs. 🙂 )Lots to catch up on. @purofilion, I hadn’t quite made it to that cliffhanger before going away, but I will be getting back on the horse, as it were (or perhaps “climbing into that wormhole” works better!) and finishing the first series this week.

By the way, apparently I am Spock. It seems unlikely to me, but there it is.

Arbutus @arbutus

Okay, my son just sent my this, culled from the hours he wastes spends browsing imgur. I laughed myself sick.

Trick friends into thinking you have your shit together

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@arbutus

Brilliant link. All this might actually raise the tone of the average Blenkinsop dinner.

Anonymous @

@arbutus

OK, is it totally embarrassing to mention I’ve seen this done in a number of peep’s homes in Bris?

What I have seen:

The shit in Jars

The Flippin lemons

The expensive mineral wasser

The bathrooms with expensive creams but no hairbrush (with hair: good heavens we can’t have hair!) or toothbrush

The copper pans or other incredibly shiny expensive long things that are actually ‘pasta tools’ and are so shiny they’re never used (I know because these particular people never eat pasta: ‘no carbs’)

The coffee table with 546pp classic novels and several highlighters and pencils -generally stubby, coloured ones from boutiques.

Herbs all over window sills in expensive jars

wine served in round cups but not stemmed glasses because that’s so last year.

I’ve also seen:

charming pots of tea with napery on wooden shabby chic trays (with no-one drinking tea)

expensive ferns with the price ticket still on

very new hand towels in bathrooms with the price ticket still on

expensive hand soaps and hand creams by every kitchen sink/tap -with the price….

large modern bowls filled with limes (because they’re flippin well more expensive than lemons and goes well with the exy mineral water which isn’t because the seal is broken and I know it’s just tap)

I laughed like a drain. And obviously I snoop….

Mind you, some years ago, peeps told me these are good things to do when selling your house: lemons, new shiny shit, books, coffee in the oven (huh?) and home cooked muffins (which you can buy but nuke in the microwave for the ‘scent’.

Funny story needing a drink -in proper glasses. A friend, who knew I was in hospital, brought over a you-can’t-screw-this-up-if-you-tried meal.

Really.

It contained beef stew (yummy) but also those home bake rolls which say “heat for 5 mins”. This, Mr Ilion did.

In the microwave.

4 mins later, all the smoke alarms go off and the Ilions are outside gagging whilst the microwave is belching smoke and spits out ‘bread’ rolls the size of testicles, all blackened and foul smelling.

Neighbours come running with hoses.

Un-frickin-believable.

Anonymous @

@arbutus

um? I didn’t give away hints about S1, did I? I think if I mentioned anything to do with the last few eps of S1 I didn’t tag you -I was pretty good about this (crosses fingers and does an Ahn “ohm”)

I have seen the first ep of S2 and it’s actually very good. I believe this show is becoming more interesting with every set of episodes! And I particularly love the retro jokes and references -Boy Ilion doesn’t get them.

Anyway, I ought to be on the other thread: ducks.

janetteB @janetteb

@arbutus. Thank you so much for that link. Made me feel soooo much better about my messy house. Now I can just claim that I am not being pretentious. My mess is genuine.

@Purofilion. That story about the bread rolls had me laughing out loud. Thank you. I needed that after an exhausting day.

@blenkinsopthebrave I have not yet said how good it is to have you back. (actually I did but the internet ate my post.)

Cheers

Janette

lisa @lisa

@ichabod and everyone

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/articles/2015/7/20/profile-ursula-k-le-guin

A very nice recent piece about Ursula Le Guin
    I didn’t know that she was classmates in high school with Phillip K Dick
    [Something in the school drinking fountain?]

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@lisa

If there was, it was probably acid….

ichabod @ichabod

@lisa  Thanks!  Straight onto my fb page.  Acid for PKD, but most probably not for Ursula — though you never know, do you?

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@ichabod — well, her stuff has a trippy edge too. And I wouldn’t put it past old PKD spiking her….

ichabod @ichabod

@jimthefish  Heh heh.  But I think even in school, you’d have to be pretty damn fast and awfully well focused to put one over on UKL.  She has a very sharp and critical mind, and speaks it straight out and frequently.  I recall a discussion in which somebody complained about “political correctness” (this was back in the eighties), and she snapped back something along the lines of, “Strangely enough, I see no reason to apologize for being against slavery, against racism, or against jingoism, or to stop holding those values.”  He shrank into the floor (on which we were all, Ursula included, sitting together).  She does not suffer fools.  At all.  PKD — well, not a fool, but not well-balanced, either.

@arbutus

I brought home four limes from the shops today, and left them in a bowl. When Mrs Blenkinsop returned home from work she thought they were hilarious.

I feel we are getting close to the point that we, too, might be able to fool people into thinking we are sophisticates, based on our ability to position limes.

@purofilion

I realise it was, in fact, you who made the brilliant observation about the limes.

My inability to recognise that obviously condems me to the ranks of those who cannot impress the sophisticates of Brisbane. And having lived there (if you can call it living) I use the phrase “sophisticates of Brisbane” loosely. Very loosely.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

Oh, I understand alright. I was looking for a cake the other day. Several random patisseries advertised “European- style cakes.”

When I made the dreaded phone call and asked about “tortes,” their response was, “what? You’ll need to speak to our Legal Dept if you have a problem with our cakes.”

No kidding.

Eventually, after explaining “tortes” not “torts,” I managed to ask for a butter crème coffee cake. No can do! “We don’t do butter crème anymore because no-body eats it.” (Brisbane being the most obese city in Oz, now, because everyone’s fooled into eating lo-fat yoghurt, avocadoes and cherries all year round-imported from the US)

So, they could only ‘do’ a vanilla sponge with fresh cream and s’berries.

Which, frankly, I can do myself for $2!

Brisbane. Eye rolling.

Anonymous @

@lisa

I agree too, that SM reuses certain concepts, motivations and scenes.

Personally, just watching Amy age in the 2 waterfalls -I noticed the garden was similar to last season’s Missy’s garden. No doubt that’s been mentioned before. And yes, the emotions, too, I hadn’t thought of that  -the choices Danny has to make, as you say.

Thank you for birthday wishes -a pleasant day, relaxing and not thinking about aging at all 🙂

Kindest, puro

Arbutus @arbutus

@blenkinsopthebrave     Perhaps Mrs. Blenkinsop thought you were suggesting minty mojitos before dinner?  🙂

Bowls of limes are all very well, and pricey, as @purofilion points out. I, however, I am dedicated to lemons. In fact, putting them out in bowls is not impressive enough for me. I have a whole tree, in a pot so that it can be moved out of the way of occasional freeze-ups, and given some extra light in the winter when are days are fairly short. I have averaged about two viable lemons per year so far. I usually use them to make limoncello, which is possibly the most fabulous after-dinner drink in the universe. No one can say I am not dedicated to creating my own Mediterranean false reality right here in Canada!

Puro, do you have a lot of lawyers in Brisbane? Or does everyone just watch Suits a lot? Because really, I don’t think if I would have remembered unaided that that word had a meaning other than a culinary one. And give me butter creme over low fat yogurt any day!

Anonymous @

@arbutus

we love your lemons.

And personally, I love my lemonade, too. Just a bit of sugar, loads of ice, water and a lemon. Awesome!

Torts: I think this particular patisserie were involved in suits (actual ones) a lot!

Oh, yes, butter crème: I had to make some in the end. And then make more.

Also awesome. 🙂

Anonymous @

this could / should be in TV thread but I thought I’d ask if anyone had seen Emily Watson and Tennant in The Politician’s Husband? It recently aired (Ep 1).

It’s a yada yada performance at the mo, so we’ll see. Haven’t progressed, @arbutus with the Farscape watch due to soccer and a Hitchcock Week which involved Psycho.

Boy Ilion sniggers: “It’s in B&W, like this is gonna scare me!”

By the shower scene with the screeching bowed violins he’s hiding his head.

Then, later, he dragged his mattress up the stairs.

Who’s laughing now??

~<<*-*>>~

Anonymous @

@arbutus

is it bad that I want to do all this stuff?

ok ok I actually already have loads of pillows (and a small fabric store Problem) respectable selection of teas (word!)  a crap load of lemons (I’m uber hydrating doncha know) and decent books that I actually do read in my night stand (except I need some new friends as they all say “HG Wells? What’s wrong with you?” Sigh.

MUST GET HERBS IN JARS!!!

Seems a bit quiet around here, so I thought I would share a Milligan moment:

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave thank you

wonderful: just what we needed. Ah, Spike. I love his limerick dance.

Missy @missy

@blenkinsopthebrave – stone me, what a mouthful!

Loved the video. Such a funny man. My OH and I are great admirers of the Goons

Whisht @whisht

@blenkinsopthebrave

damn you man, you made me watch this

(btw I love hearing fellow professionals’ insights on things, but I just have a soft spot for Jonathan Miller’s insights as they seem so far deeper)

its long(ish) but don’t worry about the time, as its writted on a piece of paper.

@whisht

Thanks for posting that brilliant documentary. For some reason, I had not seen it before. I agree wholeheartedly with you about the reflections of Jonathan Miller. Spike Milligan really was a talent up there with Lewis Carroll and The Goons really was far more important than simply a comedy show.

On a personal level, it, just as much as Who, shaped me as the person I am. I remember that there were two shows I watched and listened to religously as a child and as a teenager–Doctor Who and The Goons, which was broadcast every Saturday at noon in Australia. In fact, when I think about it, I was probably part of the last generation that grew up in Australia where all my cultural reference points came from the BBC. And if I wanted to get awfully deep about it, just as the peop,e who created Doctor Who and The Goons had been shaped by WWII and a childhood in the Depression, so I grew up as the child of parents who were shaped by the same events. Yet, ironically, it was I, and not my parents, who could respond to both Doctor Who and The Goons. Probably because the creators of both were talking to my generation and not my that of my parents.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave

I will echo all your comments about The Goons and Who. It was that age/culture for me too. Both shows shaped my love of humour, adventure and fantasy in ways that other programmes on the telly or the radio did not (for whatever reason).

I recall driving in the car with my father when The Goons would come on (at midday, Saturday: we’d be coming home from a visit to a Czech butcher across town; it was quite a long hot drive in the Holden station wagon) and, thankfully, the tape player was stuck, because otherwise I’d be listening to Czech folk music instead (and some of it is plain awful!).

My step-mum was Australian with English parents who loved The Goons so we’d listen to it together whilst Dad drove home as fast as he could!

I would share some skits and stories with the students at school  -some of whom were in the same position with parents who didn’t like The Goons (and Who even less: they’d be perplexed by anyone who could love such a ‘dinky’/’nerdy’ programme): the BBC and the ABC had the shows and the talent which intrigued me.

Even the drama was exciting and possibly the allure of those programmes turned me on to History when I was 12 or 13. I recall watching ‘I Claudius’ over many, many Saturday or Sunday evening. There was also Elizabeth 1 played in a manner which was intimidating to watch and yet I couldn’t tear my eyes away. Now, that was definitely a Saturday night. It’s imprinted on my memory so vividly.

@whisht thank you for the interview! great stuff   ~<*\*>~

Kindest,

puro

A question for the Aussie contingent: Since he was the top scorer, should Extras get Michael Clarke’s job?

Anonymous @

@pedant

The entire Oz team needs to be thrown out! The last thing I saw (I was sure I had drunk too many G&Ts) was something like 8 for 40 runs?? I can’t believe it.

Turned it off in disgust.

Clark hasn’t been a decent captain and I’ve always maintained he was never right for the job. He never stood beside Hussey sufficiently but that could be because three Clarkes could never make a Hussey (but Hussey retired so all of that’s moot). It demonstrates my rumbling disquiet around cricket and Clarke in the same sentence.

Together with Johnson, Clarke sums up why cricket is no longer sophisticated in this country.

Stomps off….

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant   Was that tactful?  Was it kind?    😈

At around 12 am yesterday I looked in on the Live Updates on the BBC website, just to get an idea of how things were going, and my jaw nearly hit the keyboard.  Not that I am a particularly avid follower of the game or anything – I am not sufficiently knowledgeable for that – but several members of my family are/were, including one of my aunts, who was such an enthusiast that we played the theme from BBC Test Match Special (Soul Limbo) at her funeral!

@purofilion  According to commentators yesterday, part of the problem is that in recent years some national teams have been experiencing difficulty adapting to conditions on pitches away from their home country, which goes some way to explaining why the Australians have tended to do poorly in England lately and, conversely England have done badly in Oz, although I hardly think that it excuses yesterday’s spectacle.

And I’m so, so sorry but  🙂

@mudlark, @purofilion

In fact the entire innings can be fitted into a Tweet:

04W24W0W04100000W40000110W020000401000W000000000101000011W0011200010040040000W1W30000000000000400000000000001004W

That’s a high proportion of dot balls.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 916 total)

The topic ‘The Cloven Hoof’ is closed to new replies.