• ScaryB replied to the topic Wild Blue Yonder

    Ah, sorry so late to the discussion, had to be out of town on Sat, Sun and just caught up. Lots of interesting discussion above which I’ll get back to (and great to see everyone including @WhoHar @thane16 @miapatrick @phaseshift again)

    The episode – WOW! I really loved it. But then I’ve loved weird Who since way back to Edge of Destruction! Not…[Read more]

  • PhaseShift replied to the topic Wild Blue Yonder

    @juniperfish @miapatrick

    Did anyone else think about E-space from Tom Baker’s day, and the Great Vampires?

    Actually your musings on salt and mythology reminded me of something else from Tom’s era. If you fancy looking at it on i-player, it’s in season 15 and called ‘Image of the Fendahl‘. It shares a link with ‘State of Decay‘ in that the F…[Read more]

  • JimTheFish replied to the topic Wild Blue Yonder

    @robertcaligari—

    Basically what @juniperfish said. There’s a long history of a one-way street in blind casting so it’s nice to see it going the other way (not that it’s not still unproblematic.)

    However, it’s still a question of context. I’d agree if that had been a Rosa-esque episode focused solely on Newton’s life and influence then maybe the…[Read more]

  • Juniperfish replied to the topic Wild Blue Yonder

    Back for breakfast…

    @blenkinsopthebrave and @miapatrick <waves>  I’m guessing “mavity” isn’t just there for fun, but it’s going to be a butterfly effect, which will come back to haunt them in the next episode?

    Newton uttered the word after Donna left in the TARDIS, but although she didn’t hear it, it would have been written down as such by…[Read more]

  • WhoHar replied to the topic Wild Blue Yonder

    And agree with the mavity/gravity wording @miapatrick and the Doctor’s salt-vampire superstition concerns @juniperfish . There is something going on….

    At last! I’ve written a post without any tpyos!

  • Mudlark replied to the topic The Star Beast

    @whohar

    😀  But was it not The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town?  I rest my case.

    While I’m here, I second @miapatrick in thanking you for the ear worm. And now I keep seeing an old B&W TV screen and an unfeasibly elderly police sergeant (same tune, more or less)

  • WhoHar replied to the topic The Star Beast

    @ps1l0v3y0u

    @mudlark

    @miapatrick

     

    And I didn’t even mention The Phantom Raspberry Blower….

  • Mudlark replied to the topic The Star Beast

    @miapatrick

    less sure about the damage to the streets just getting healed up.

    Yes, I baulked a little at that. It is one thing to halt the ongoing damage by aborting the spaceship’s take off sequence, but how would that that magically cause the riven streets to seal up? It was one of the minor nits I was determined not to pick, but now that you…[Read more]

  • WhoHar replied to the topic The Star Beast

    And one comment on the terminology (@miapatrick may be interested):

    There’s a British song from the 1940s called “Maybe Its Because I’m a Londoner” that contains the lyric:

    “Well, maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner
    That I love the London town”

    So “London Town” is British English it seems.

    Unlike the “cover my six” line that, along with “I’ve…[Read more]

  • MissRori replied to the topic The Star Beast

    I liked this episode a lot if only for being a very well-handled adaptation of the comic storyline, but I didn’t love it the way the crowd around me at the Chicago TARDIS screening seemed to (same day). I agree @miapatrick that the streets just mending up was contrived! Also, a little of the increasingly slapstick comedy involving Donna and her…[Read more]

  • Charlie Cook replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @miapatrick that’s the one! Obviously I misremembered the plot and the  end but otherwise… 🙂

    Thank you.

  • blenkinsopthebrave replied to the topic On The Sofa (10)

    @mellouie, Welcome!

    @miapatrick, You are, of course, quite right about Moffat appealing to a particular cohort. I readily admit to being part of that cohort. I confess, I was never really excited by RTD’s take on the Doctor and all the episodes I liked tended to be written by others (and not just Moffat). When it came to Chibnall, I tried really…[Read more]

  • melLouie replied to the topic On The Sofa (10)

    Hi everyone,

    I’m new here and I wish you all a wonderfull year! Little background: I’m French (don’t hesitate to correct my English, it’s not my 1st language, so…), and a whovian since 2008.

    Back on the topic, I’m agree with you, @miapatrick. I think the return of RTD will do great to the show. I loved Moffat era (yes, he’s brillant). And…[Read more]

  • Dentarthurdent replied to the topic The Winchester

    @janetteb   I hope you can stay safe and avoid the covid there in Oz.   It sort of causes ripples here in NZ, in that we were set to ease our borders and now that’s on hold.    Delta got out about four months ago and the Government has given up trying to isolate it, but is trying to control it, apparently fairly successfully since case number…[Read more]

  • nerys replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @devilishrobby Spelling is a thing for me going way back. I can blame my parents, I suppose, since they were always such perfectionists about it. It must’ve rubbed off on me.

    @miapatrick I was a newspaper reporter and freelance writer from 1981 right up through early 2020, when my freelance assignments dried up and have never resumed. So I know…[Read more]

  • nerys replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @miapatrick @dentarthurdent Ha, thanks for helping me out! Usually my proofreading skills are better than that. I kept staring at “snog” and thinking, “Well, I think that’s correct.” I was focusing on the wrong word and reading the rest of your post as you meant it … not as it is.

  • Dentarthurdent replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @miapatrick    (I just did it again!  🙂

    Well, yes, that would indeed be more like the relationship with the Master.

  • Dentarthurdent replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @nerys  @miapatrick    And of course if I’d refreshed this page before I posted I would have seen that Miapatrick had already explained it.   D’oh.

    By the way, proofreading – I had a massive dose of it when I contributed a book to Project Gutenberg Australia.   Which is to say, scanned each page, ran it through an OCR program (which typical…[Read more]

  • nerys replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @miapatrick Please don’t apologize for rambling! I enjoyed every word of your thoughtful analysis. It’s one of the reasons I love this group! (But I’m not seeing the typo.)

  • Dentarthurdent replied to the topic Eve of the Daleks

    @miapatrick

    “apart from Amy’s panic flirting and snog when she first met him as an adult, and even before he realised she was his mother-in-law, it was plutonic.”

    Sometimes a typo is just so good….    😉

    Not that I’ve seen anything past S11, where Yaz was basically just part of the scenery, so I’m guessing maybe she had a bit more to do in l…[Read more]

  • Load More