On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    janetteB @janetteb

I often read through the wonderful posts and simply have nothing worthwhile to add to what has already been said. I don’t always get the time or succeed in persuading other family members to watch the selected old episodes as well. I read through everything however. I check in every day, over coffee in the morning, when I’m tired of writing, which is about every five minutes in the afternoon, after the school run, while enjoying a pre dinner shiraz, with coffee after dinner.. and so on.

@whisht I also spent far too much time trying to work out anagrams of Clara Oswin. (I’d given up thankfully before she acquired the Oswald.) I have also spent some rather more productive hours researching into the history of the Saxon rulers Oswin and Oswald but not one single bonkers theory has resulted from all my endeavoures. Now if they were Cumbrain rather than Northumbrian…

Cheers

Janette

chickenelly @chickenelly

Shhh, logged on at work *looks around to see if anyone spots her*

To add my fourpenneth into the debate about the interaction or lack of interaction of new members, I think it simply has to do with lack of new content.  I, probably like quite a few posters out there, really only got back into Doctor Who through the AG series.  Whilst looking at the BG episodes is interesting, it isn’t like you can speculate on what is happening next as clearly many people on the site know exactly what happens.  After all bonkers speculation is the raison d’etre of the site.

Come the 50th, I’m sure activity will pick up again, plus we’ve been promised a story arc for the Capaldi season.  Hurrah!

Pufferfish @pufferfish

I haven’t had the time to expand on others’ contributions but I am a very grateful reader of same. Am weighing up whether to pop my head around the pub door to lift a glass to absent friends, as I could probably walk there from my home in the centre of London.

Anonymous @

In the Guardian:

Tom Baker, How I Made Doctor Who

The multicoloured scarf came about after Jim bought a wagonload of wool. He gave it to a woman who was so excited at being asked to work for Doctor Who that she started knitting it and just didn’t stop. When we went to her room, it was so full of scarf, we couldn’t get in.

Anonymous @

@pufferfish – please do come to the pub.  Can you confirm now do you think?  I want to keep on top of the numbers to ensure our table will be big enough.

ScaryB @scaryb

@pufferfish – right, that’s it! No excuses – looking forward to seeing you in the pub on 22nd 🙂

re the retrospectives and communal viewing – I’ve really enjoyed both the BG and SM retros. My main reason for not commenting often has been extreme lack of RL time –  I’ve not always been able to watch quite in synch with everyone, had to time shift for some of them. But especially for the stories I hadn’t seen, I found it a really useful way in.  (This is where I’d argue that a “thumbs up” for comments (members only) is useful for those of us too time-poor to construct a full comment or feel that everyone else has said what needs to be said)

Re the BG ones – it’s great to hear reactions from people who didn’t see them the first time around.

@Shazzbot – think I’ve heard the T Baker scarf story before, but it’s worth repeating – the room was full of scarf 😆

ScaryB @scaryb

@Shazzbot

Thanks for posting the Graun T Baker article – it’s really lovely interview. And what a story at the end 🙂

Did you notice the link to “knit your own Doctor scarf” http://www.doctorwhoscarf.com/s12.html (in the comments)

The amount of detail in it is nothing short of awesome!

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

You could always add “Special Weapons Time Lord” as your strapline…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Special Weapons Dalek

For when the shotgun doesn’t work. 😀

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’ve only just found out that Peter Capaldi is to play Mr Curry in the forthcoming ‘Paddington’ (Bear) Movie…

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

Tennant & Capaldi wear Poppies

Matt Smith just featured in the new CIN ad – ‘Cometh’

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – inspired by your Tennant and Capaldi poppy-wearing video, I went in search of Airedale Terriers wearing poppies.  (Yes, I know I’m obsessed.  Everyone at the Dean Swift in a few weeks will be similarly enchanted.)

I landed instead on the YT perennial favourite Ptolemy (his parents really should be reported to Child Services for giving him that name) and his Airedale, Gertrude – who has fabulously interesting ears.

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – Have you researched ‘creative grooming’?

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

@Shazzbot – God – I didn’t think that was real… Poor dog.

This is nicer…
    z

@shazzbot – Ptolemy apparently means ‘aggressive’ or ‘warlike’.

One of those self-fulfilling prophecies, I think. Just as soon as he hits the playground.

Poor Gertrude. She had a real ‘that bloody baby’s playing with my ears again‘ expression at one point.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Anonymous @

@wolfweed – I HAVE to go to bed!  But that My Little Pony Airedale is so horrifying and hysterically funny in equal measure that I fear I’m keeping the neighbours up with my whoops of laughter.

You really do have all the best of internet images at your fingertips, don’t you.  😀

@bluesqueakpip – yep, I think we need to keep an eye on that Ptolemy.  Reminds me of my best girlfriend’s first child, about whom all the rest of us said ‘As soon as he hits 16, we’re all leaving the state.’  (I did one better … I left the country 😆  .)

Wolfster, if my Airedales could do the washing-up, I’d hire them out and retire in style.  😎

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Wow, I just got a press release. Am a bit shocked. I didn’t think we were important. !

Neil Gaiman is the author of the eleventh short story in Puffin’s series celebrating the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.

Gaiman’s story is called “Nothing O’Clock” and is to released globally as an ebook on 21st November.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Press release:

Neil Gaiman commented: ‘Nothing O’Clock stars the Eleventh Doctor, the Matt Smith Doctor, with Amy Pond as his companion. I set it somewhere during the first season of Matt Smith, mostly on Earth, in our time now and in 1984, but also somewhere else, a very, very long time ago. I had never created an original monster for Doctor Who and really enjoyed getting to create a creepy Doctor Who monster of the kind that we haven’t quite seen before… I hope that the Kin will get out there and occasionally give people nightmares. And that you will be worried if a man in a rabbit mask comes to your door and tries to buy your house.’

Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself) is the bestselling author of more than twenty books for adults and children, including the novels The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Coraline, The Graveyard Book and Fortunately, the Milk as well as the Sandman series of graphic novels, and two episodes of Doctor Who (‘The Doctor’s Wife’ and ‘Nightmare in Silver’). He has received numerous literary honours including the Locus and Hugo Awards and the Newbery and Carnegie Medals. Almost two million people follow him on Twitter: @neilhimself. Born and raised in England, he now lives in the USA, with his wife, the rock star Amanda Palmer. He is Professor of the Arts at Bard University. His hair is ridiculous.

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig Woohoo!

Just to be nosy, where did it come from – BBC, Gaiman… ?

Anonymous @

So lets get this first post out the way….Hello……. And sorry if I asked question and bring thinks up that have already been answered lol

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome, @a-dub. Don’t be afraid to ask questions…
    z

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@scaryb Yes, very exciting. I should really have put it in “News” but was a bit discombobulated.

It came from Puffin, the publishers. Is nice to think we’re now on the radar.

CraigNixon @craignixon

Press release and a My Little Pony Dog.

Page full of Win

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

‘You will pay for your loyalty to Starbucks, Rose Tyler!!!!!’

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Patrick Stewart auditions for Macra role…

@danmartinuk‘s blog on The TV Movie is now up at the Guardian. He has included a tribute to @htpbdet.

Thanks, Dan.

adlerinthelibrary @adlerinthelibrary

@timeloop In Mexico only one cinema chain will be screening it, but it will be available in a number of cities and in Mexico City is almost sold out and they’ve had to open new screenings. I’m not sure how that translates into actual numbers, but for a show that you would think is almost unknown in Mexico, I think it’s pretty impressive. Sales are at 4.5 pounds (including glasses!), which is the standard rate for 3D. I’m so happy it’s being screened here, I had hoped I was going to be able to watch it in the UK (I work between both countries) but it was not to be and I was kind of disappointed to settle with the tv.

Wee bit out of topic by now, but I’ve been away with no internet connection and just started reading it again (I also confess I’m guilty of lurking, shy fish I am).

I came here today after reading in The Guardian the news about @htpbdet, and I wanted to pay my respects to his family and friends. His was truly amazing and inspirational writing and gave me a new perspective on many Who’s matters, specially as I started watching the classic series only after getting hooked up by the new. His love of the show was clear but more endearing was the passion found on his posts. I regret finding out so late and it’s with a heavy heart I write down this small tribute for him. As it has been said here before, it’s very strange to feel so strongly about people you’ve never met, but what an amazing community this is, all over the world, and I hope some comfort goes to his family by knowing his words brought laughter and reflection and his life deeply touched others even on these distant shores.

Timeloop @timeloop

@adlerinthelibrary Thanks for that! I find it fascinating to see just how far  Doctor Who fans are spread around the world. The globally demand is way bigger than I expected it to be.
    And welcome to the active side of this forum! Feel free to join in and give all of us a little more to consider 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

thommck @thommck

doctor who is a religion comic strip

@thommck – is this a contribution to the upcoming ‘Doctor Who and Religion’ discussion, or are you trying to get me to explain the precise difference between ‘historical evidence’ and ‘fanfic’? 😈

Which, I promise, could be as bad as seeing @phaseshift become … sarcastic.

(Such explanations tend to wander off happily into the byways of ‘Are there different types of knowledge?’ and ‘How can we know anything?’  You Have Been Warned.)

wolfweed @wolfweed
    ScaryB @scaryb

@thommck – HaHa (i’m sure there’s a flaw in the logic somewhere, but I’ll figure it out soon!!)

@Everyone, and @bluesqueakpip and @Shazzbot in particular – A short break from bonkers theories (thanks for the kickstart @blenkinsopthebrave – it’s all cooking on the 50th thread) –

Just come across this – it’s extracts from Michael Troughton’s biography of his dad, talking about his visits to Web of Fear set and memories of his dad worrying about preps for Enemy of the World being behind as well as insights into his thoughts about acting in general and celebrity. There’s also a lovely, generous interview with Colin Baker (yes, really!) remembering meeting PT for the first time as a young actor, and an intro by Frazer Hines that just made me go “aaaah”

http://www.troughtonmichael.com/joomla16/index.php/extracts

@thommck and @scaryb – my favourite ‘Jesus’ cartoon is, sadly, not Doctor Who related. But here it is anyway –

ScaryB @scaryb
    thommck @thommck

@bluesqueakpip, LOL took me a while to get that one 😀

I posted without comment as it was just something that made me smile but wanted to try and avoid any controversy (probably impossible!)

Anonymous @

@scaryb – thanks for pointing us, and me, toward Michael Troughton’s website.  I’m amazed that such long extracts of his book were printed there!  Usually such things are done as teasers, so if those are the ‘teasers’ the book as a whole must be a real corker.

DickieGarvey @dickiegarvey

Hi i am brand new to this so be kind.

Have been watching ardentlly AG have never really seen any BG episodes but have read alot about it.

I am very excited by the 50th and then the christmas special afterwards, will be a shift in pace in feel when Capaldi takes over, have been looking for somewhere to mention about Peters costume but cant see anywhere, any direction would be appriciated.

I love the bonkers teorys posted around here its awsome

Dickie

Anonymous @

@dickiegarvey – welcome to our lovely, comfortable haven in the big bad wilds of t’interwebs.

We have a thread for The Next Doctor if you’d like to leave some Capaldi costume comments there.  Or here, either is fine.

If you want to learn more about BG Who (and thank you for using our idiosyncratic acronyms!), please see the episode musings we have on selected BG episodes.

There are also some mighty fine musings on all the Doctors since Hartnell, written by one of our contributors.  You’ll learn much about specific episodes, overall themes, companions, and of course, much about the life of that contributor (sadly recently departed) which makes his stories all the richer.

DickieGarvey @dickiegarvey

Thanks for the kind introduction

I have been lurking since the end of the last series hoping to divine something of what the hell was going on.

But through comments on here have deved much more into the world of  Who.

I am very much looking forward to proffesor biran coxs program on the sciece of the doctor it could be fun

wolfweed @wolfweed
    wolfweed @wolfweed

Forum Members Identity Parade…z

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

Timelord0TheReaper0 @timelord0thereaper0

I have to ask if there was another timelord that showed up and was worse than the master called “The Reaper” and was about death and chaos what would you think

one phrase would be “Even the best doctor cant stop death”

Anonymous @

@ the new person:  Which Doctor could be said to be ‘all about death’?

Fear me, I’ve killed all of them

Anonymous @

@wolfweedpriceless!

Erm, I’ll have a go … @craig, @blenkinsopthebrave ** , @scaryb@pedant ***

** That would be me except I have luxurious flowing locks.  😆  Also, I have a better Thigh Gap

*** I don’t think Pedant’s shark-swarming could be maneuvered in quite so suave a manner if tangled up in his dressing gown.  🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@shazzbot

blenkinsop as Flash Gordon? Well…no.

blenkinsop will have to be represented by his avatar.

Indeed, I think there will probably be a few surprises when all of you meet each other in the pub, and discover the faces behind the avatars.

Speaking of the booze-up at the pub, perhaps small photos of the avatars of those of us unable to attend due to our locations in far-flung colonies could be printed out and propped up on the table so that we were there with you, in spirit (and spirits), as it were.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave – indeed, I think there will probably be a few surprises when all of us meet at the pub; and, some surprises for those of you poor devils who cannot be there … 😆

P.S. apologies for the Flash Gordon reference, but I did say that it should be me – except for the luxurious flowing locks 😀  and the Thigh Gap

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Neil Gaiman interviews J.J. Abrams on Newsnight about Sci-Fi, very shortly.

Viewing 50 posts - 501 through 550 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.