On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 964 total)
  • Author

@Shazzbot @scaryb @craig

Trouble with the east end is it starts to require multiple travel changes for those not already in east London (even more of a pain when trying to get home).

How about the Admiral Horniman at Hay’s Galleria (near HMS Belfast) – bit, but you can spill outside into a covered area, and river frontage. On Thameslink and the Jubilee for getting from Excel.

Anonymous @

@pedant – I went looking for the Horniman and found this (a bit) disturbing review:

http://raidersofthelostpubs.com/2013/09/13/the-horniman-at-hays-se1-2hd-tube-london-bridge/

There’s also this where the comments repeatedly go on about the ‘tourist trade’ and unwelcoming staff:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/10/1097/Horniman_at_Hays/Southwark

But I think you’re onto something with the whole South Bank / London Bridge location.  That seems to be where consensus is gravitating.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Trouble with the east end is it starts to require multiple travel changes for those not already in east London

@pedant: tell me about it. I have days when getting home involves four different trains, some of which I’m on for only one stop. The DLR is very good – there were huge swathes of the East End that used to be accessible only by bus – but its policy is ‘save up all our profits and build another extension/line when we’ve got enough money’. You end up changing trains a lot until they change the points/work out how to structure the new network.

South Bank/London Bridge is generally better connected, both in terms of tube trains and being able to walk across various bridges to get a Night Bus.

@bluesqueakpip – I used to live on the Isle of Dogs and later just off Bow Road. I know the turf well and have spent many an evening wondering how to get back! (Trufact: The old London Docklands Development Corp wanted to build a fully specified tube line, but Mrs T said “You get the DLR or you get nothing” – so they got £88m quids worth of light railway, which in public transport terms, is only one step up from Hornby).

@Shazzbot – Yes, the Horniman can be a bit of a zoo, but it is also accessible (Maybe we should hire HMS Belfast 😉 ). I remain open to suggestions, but I think anywhere too far from the Circle Line and/ or Thameslink is a bit of a stretch.

@pedant – ah, yes, I remember the toytown railway days. One little carriage, shuttling back and forth like a sort of electronic era Thomas the Tank Engine.

We’re now up to a whole three carriages!

Fortunately my stamping grounds are very near to two night bus routes, so my ‘how the hell do I get back’ problem has generally translated into  ‘can anyone point me in the direction of Trafalgar Square or St Pauls?’

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Just saw this little bit of genius and thought you all might like it. Features several Doctor Who moments and many other favourite shows. Will be back later with thoughts on a Festivities thread.

@bluesqueakpip – and of course the inward opening doors.

Inward. Opening. Doors.

An idea that could only be proposed by a train designer who had never travelled on a train.

Anonymous @

@craig – that was great.  Thanks for bringing it to us.

It did, of course, make me think of the last scene of The IT Crowd (and having done tech support for my sins for far too long, I can attest to the magic of this line  🙂  )

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/video/2013/oct/01/downton-abbey-wrong-mans-london-irish-it-crowd-video-review

[skip to 4:58 ]

Anonymous @

@arkleseizure @thommck @steve-thorp @wolfweed (yes, you can come to London from Scotland-land!)

Have y’all seen my post 17772 above?  Regarding the London get-together for Forum members on Friday 22nd November?  Please let me know if you’ll be around and want to join us.

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

@Shazzbot: I’d certainly like to come, but the practicalities of nipping up from Bournemouth might cause me problems: it depends on whether or not I can stay with my brother who lives in Stepney. I will keep you posted! 🙂

(Hopefully, by then I should have completed the project that’s largely kept me away from here recently: my vow to have watched every episode of Doctor Who (with help from Loose Cannon where necessary) before the anniversary. Mostly finished, but I’m saving the Daleks’ Masterplan until last!)

@danmartinuk has reached Remembrance of the Daleks in his Guardian classic episodes blog. 

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip – great comment over on t’Guardian about Remembrance of the Daleks.

I’m a bit worried about @phaseshift and @htpbdet – it’s been October for a few days now, and nothing on the Faces of the Doctor thread about Tennant yet … I’m loath to post anything myself as y’all have the necessary background information and insight to ensure a worthy post.

Anonymous @

@arkleseizure – trains run from Bournemouth to London fairly frequently, so I hope we’ll see you, brother-in-Stepney being willing – or not  🙂  – on Friday 22nd November.

Watch this space (or another, as per @craig‘s desire) to learn more about our Forum meet-up.

voidxsama @voidxsama

Hello. I am very new to the site, I have a small theory about the weeping angels. Where would I post something like that?

Anonymous @

Hello @voidxsama – have you not looked at our home page?  If your question is genuine, then you have a few places to post bonkers theories about Weeping Angels:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/blink-s29-3-10/

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/the-time-of-angels-flesh-and-stone-s31-5-4-and-5/

and from the ‘Forums –> Episodes –> The Eleventh Doctor’ link:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/forums/topic/s33-7-5-the-angels-take-manhattan/

daftmunkee @daftmunkee

@Shazzbot I’m hoping to be around. Coming over there from Canada. Just not yet certain which city I’ll be in that day. Keep me posted when you decide where you guys will be meeting up!

Anonymous @

@daftmunkee – Canadian, eh? (sorry, it was too irresistible. 🙂  )

If you manage to wing your way over from Canada to London for the 50th anniversary weekend then certainly, the more the merrier.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Happy “it’s 50 days to the 50th Anniversary” Day. I hope you are all celebrating (it is a Friday, after all).

@shazzbot – yeah, sorry about that. Been so busy through the week recently, I actually forgot it was the end of the month on Monday. Silly me. Soon be rectified.

@craig – on covering the 50th Anniversary, the celebration of Marriage that forced us not to get tickets is, apparently, not going ahead. I wished they could have decided on their irreconcilable differences earlier, inconsiderate Bastards.

Still – with no tickets, and still in Yorkshire, I can maintain a blog for the celebratory weekend if required. If enough people want to e-mail, or give me their “tweet feeds” (is that youth speak?) I can update it like the attempt to liveblog the announcement of Peter Capaldi. I will demand titbits of gossip from the convention floor, “what you are doing at home” stories and embarrassing pictures of the inaugural meeting of the Doctor Who Forum, in its natural habitat, the Pub. Just an idea for your thought magimix.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@phaseshift How annoying!

I think your liveblog idea is great though. The last one was lots of fun. I was wondering how I could do it and it will save me logging in and out of the forum on my phone all the time while out and about.

I could set up an email address along the lines of phaseshift@thedoctorwhoforum.com or fiftieth@thedoctorwhoforum.com etc. which just forwards to your normal email account. Everyone could send emails and pictures to that address about what they’re up to over the weekend, then I can just shut it down after the weekend.

If anyone’s bothered about you getting their email address they can always set up their own temporary account I guess.

What do you think?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Crazy Captions 30  Blah blah blah…
    z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@craig – Yeah, deeply annoying.

Good idea about the e-mail. I’ve no problem with issuing my own to many regulars, but a public facing blank e-mail address would be good to put on the blog. I’d rather volunteer than the thought of anybody desperately fiddling when they should be enjoying the convention they’ve paid good money for though.

I could launch it early in the week as a placeholder with a “what do you intend to do”, and fill out ATL at a later date. All titbits/pics/recipes (saucy or otherwise – and I’m talking pics not recipes) gratefully received.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – are you going to do an actual blog (i.e. post) as opposed to updating replies in a topic like you did for last time?  The latter worked, but that was only for 1 programme; I think the former would be even better for a whole weekend of updates.

And … ‘desperately fiddling’ in the same context as ‘saucy pics’?  How wildly uninhibited do you think the pub meet-up is going to get?!  😆

wolfweed @wolfweed
    PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@shazzbot

I’d do it as a Post this time. The Forum updates for the Next Doctor were just a formating experiment, which I did learn from so I’d be a little more prepared this time.

On the saucy pictures side, I’m sure it depends on how long you spend in the pub!

janetteB @janetteb

In the ABC shop yesterday buying up on Who merchandise naturally the guy serving me was discussing getting his costume organised for the anniversary. I didn’t ask where he was going in that costume. I know the local fan club are planning an event.

@phaseshift, keeping the blog or post open all weekend is good as it allows for those stuck in different time zones to participate. Hopefully some of those other members from this far away forgotten corner of the world will wake from hibernation in honour of the occasion. 🙂

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Article in today’s Independent

This happy breed: David Tennant and Greg Doran discuss their Shakespeare partnership

In 2008, David Tennant and Gregory Doran, now the RSC’s Artistic Director, worked together on two highly praised Shakespeare productions, Hamlet and Love’s Labour’s Lost.

Tennant’s long relationship with the RSC stretches back to a production of As You Like It in 1996 and the pair collaborated for the first time in 1998, on a double bill of Black Comedy/The Real Inspector Hound in the West End. As they prepared for their third Shakespeare play together, Richard II, I [Fiona Mountford] caught up with them one lunchtime in the RSC’s south London rehearsal rooms … [interview commences]

janetteB @janetteb

Thanks @Shazzbot for the link. I wish I could see the production. I really enjoyed the last version of RichardII to grace the small screen.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@janetteb – this was an interesting part of that interview with David Tennant and Gregory Doran:

FM: I should imagine that it’s pleasurable for both of you to know that people who might not otherwise see Shakespeare or even go to the theatre come because of David?

GD: I was criticised at the time of Hamlet, with people saying, “Oh yes, it’ll just be Doctor Who fans coming”. They said, “They’ll listen when David’s on but for the rest of the play they’ll be rustling their sweet papers”. What was absolutely palpably obvious was that that didn’t happen.

Nice.  So, we as a group are known for our juvenile attention spans (and ‘rustling of sweet papers’?!).  Ha!  Whoever those ‘people’ were, they obviously know nothing about this site – we have the most incredible attention to detail.  🙂

Anonymous @

Hey @nick – long time no see.

Are you going to be in London in late November?

Anonymous @

(re-posting to ensure members have a chance to see this …)

OH MY GOSH!

I was second-time lucky in the latest draw for remaining Doctor Who Celebration tickets.

I have purchased 4 tickets in the Ice Warrior category for Friday 22nd November.

Any Forum members who are available on that date to go to the Excel in London, please PM me.

thommck @thommck

Congrats @Shazzbot, how much do the tickets cost?
    I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it up just for the pub but if I was going to the celebration event then that would be different!

Anonymous @

Hey @thommck – they’re £45 each.  Do you want one, or two, or more?

It would be great not only to attend, but then you’d be with us at the pub after!  Two good things for the price of one!

Let me know –

Anonymous @

P.S. @thommck – they’re Adult tickets.  There were children’s tickets available, but I got 4 Adult ones.  Sorry – your son might have wanted to come … he could still of course, but you’d be over-paying for his.

thommck @thommck

Thanks @Shazzbot. £45 + travel may be a bit too much to get past my financial advisor (the wife) but will have to try and sweet talk her and see if my whovian brother-in-law is interested

wolfweed @wolfweed

Doctor Who Weekends – Exclusive To Watch – Weekends From 2pm

CraigNixon @craignixon

THanks @whisht.

I am still popping in, but I can never check from home when I’ve got three kids and a missus to talk to (apparantly its rude) and can’t really do it from work as too busy!  Though trying to make time on lunch and when kids in bed / fiancee at work.

As for meeting up, not unless I can blag a supplier / customer visit in London on the day, planning a wedding so I am sadly very very skint!

Anonymous @

This is from last Saturday’s Guardian – I’m surprised no-one has yet posted it here.  (Probably because it was in the Life & Style section)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/oct/05/kids-doctor-who-fans-time-lord

How my kids became Doctor Who fans

Pete May loved Doctor Who as a child, but his dad thought it was rubbish. So when he had his own children, he was intent on being the Time Lord-loving father he’d never had – and luckily, his daughters share his lifelong obsession

It shares a theme with @htpbdet‘s writing, in that it’s about families watching Doctor Who together.  It has a charm of its own, and is well worth a read (although it might make us all miss HTPBDET even more, as his writing is so much more comprehensive and personal than Pete May’s).

wolfweed @wolfweed

@wolfweed – part of the Doctor’s continuing battle to make sure small children learn to wash their hands. 😉

Next up – the Dalek fork. Exterminate those Brussels Sprouts!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@bluesqueakpip – And for adults, a TARDIS Swearbox!

Nick @nick

@wolfweed

so long as you’re  going to eat your cake of course (Dalek or Cyberman or perhaps an angel ?)

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/brands/doctor-who

Nick

Anonymous @

Guess who’s back this is a little weird for this to be my first post since returning (kids steer away from this post) but I noticed that since Matt Smith came to be The Doctor the show got more sexual.

Season 5 Amy tries to seduce the doctor, the clown honk sound when the Aztec girl does the same thing in S7 E2, the erecetion/sonic screwdriver joke in season 7 in the eternity clock game since its a 2 player game I played with my friend (the one is asked me who said who’s the fat guy smoking the cigar when he was first on the show) and he pointed out that River Song was made with relativley large (female parts)

@drtennant

It didn’t become “more sexual” it just reflected the realities of married life, what with two married couples on board.

Dunno about the game, but Alex Kingston is quite well equipped in the lady-part department.

Now, learn to use punctuation. It makes posts easier to read and less…er…trollish in appearance.

Anonymous @

Oh @pedant – you’re really hoping for a splatterfest, arentcha?!  Are you going to swing the axe first?

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

@IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeMan

And not forgetting Vastra and Jenny, and the tongue gag in AGMGTW

Well, if you check out The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, you’ll see exactly who to blame for the more realistic discussion of whether or not the Doctor might actually have a sex life.

MOFFAT! ::shakes fist::

😉

The US TV Guide is having a vote on the favourite fantasy/SF show of all time. And in the semi-finals, we have Buffy versus Doctor Who.

You need a Facebook page to vote.

ScaryB @scaryb

Not to mention Hartnell’s little dalliance with an Aztec woman! They called it cocoa back then 😉

@Shazzbot – I love that pic – can see the Airedales backing you up from the undergrowth 😆

@bluesqueakpip Thanks for the link. Dr Who seems to be doing well, even against the Slayer

*cough*Leela*cough*

Anonymous @

@Bluesqueakpip and @ScaryB in my opinion Buffy up against The Doctor isn’t really a fair match. I consider Buffy a fantasy and Who is more Science Fiction, I will admit I didn’t watch Buffy however I did watch the amazing spinoff Angel. This  could also relate to the Epic Rap Battle of History link I posted a while ago: putting Buffy is like putting a dalek against in an actual fight because Dalek exterminates the vampire, done but a vampire against a werewolf and a Dalek against a Cyberman and that would be a fair fight; so putting Back to the Future against Doctor Who in a time traveling series would be a better fit.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.