On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    monangesolitaire @monangesolitaire

Ahaha, thanks @scaryb, I look forward to sharing them. 🙂

DrBen @drben

Greetings from Baltimore, Maryland!  I am so pleased to find you all!  I happened to find this forum while looking for more people to talk about “Listen” with, and here you all are!

I am another relatively recent newcomer to Who (“Whocomer?)  I did not watch Doctor Who as a kid, despite being the prime age during the Baker/Davison years and despite it being *exactly* the sort of thing my family would have been into (what with already watching Monty Python, Hitchhiker’s, etc.).

Instead, I dove in with both feet in August of last year, and binged all of the important episodes in order to be ready for the 50th anniversary in November.  I have since hooked my wife and 11-year-old son, and we’ve watched the entire AG series.  I have also gone back and watched at least one serial from each of the BG Doctors in order to get the full sense of scope and the full range of the character (The Time Meddler, Tomb of the Cybermen, Terror of the Autons, City of Death, Caves of Androzani, The Twin Dilemma (ugh), Dragonfire, and YES, the TV Movie).

I don’t have a “my” Doctor because I really appreciate what each actor brings to the role, even Colin Baker.  I have a soft spot for Pertwee because my first DW exposure was catching the first couple episodes of Carnival of Monsters.  I love Eccleston and hoped beyond hope that he would have come back for even so much as a cameo in the 50th.  I think Capaldi is killing it thus far.

A pleasure to meet you all, and I look forward to lots of Bonkers theorizing!

janetteB @janetteb

Welcome @drben. I see you already have your bonkers theorising hat on.

Cheers

Janette

thommck @thommck

What’s all this on the sofa?

Was the Rose & Crown shut last night?

I’ll spray a bit of Febreeze on the cushions to freshen everything up a bit for the weekend

Anonymous @

@thommck you’re totally right. I shall freshen up too! I’ll go to the Rose and Crown for a whinge if need be but I’m confident my whingy days are over. Kindest, puro.

Anonymous @

I have to say I’ll really dumb with emoticons (??). I know their Japanese History but in actuality, I know 2 only. I’m not sure what they mean!  One looks like eye rolling, but I can’t tell?  Oh, well, ‘Go to Google’, I guess.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Well said @thommck

@handles @purofilion I’ve moved your conversation to the Rose and Crown (starts here). A time consuming business, and I have about an hour on the internet today because of work. (@arbutus @janetteb I’ve moved your responses as well)

Please show some restraint on topics. As you know – the Sofa is where newbies can say hello. It can be off-putting to crash into a heavy discourse on Politics and say “hi I’m me. IS this the Doctor Who forum?”.

Many thanks.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift I’m sorry that this was time consuming. I forgot that the Sofa is exactly right for light hearted introductions and less lively ‘debates’. I need a clock on the head occasionally. Hopefully, I won’t need another for a year or so.

(Hides under sofa for a good, long time counting to 200).

Thank you, purofilion

Arbutus @arbutus

K, this was meant to go here, not where I put it, but I don’t see how to remove a wrongly posted post! But here it is again, in the right place this time.

@phaseshift (and everyone)       Sorry about the hijacked topic, won’t happen again! Sometimes without our quite realizing it, a small exchange suddenly becomes a conversation.

Whisht @whisht

now, is this the right forum to ask @spider if their signature is a callout to that very wonderful character from 2000AD – Ernest Errol Quinch

the guy on the right

if not, no worries but its a lovely sig that could be appropriated for him!

😉

Spider @spider

@whisht   Nope. My forum name is not related to anything 200o AD. It comes from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away..plus..stuff.  Although  the ‘Errol’ reference is a bit spooky!.

Scottish sig quote is to do with 1st ep of new series + i am scottish. Also, for the record (not that it matters). i am a she 😉

On another note, slightly intrigued by  @idiotsavon. Blake’s 7 ref or am i just reading too much into  things XD

Whisht @whisht

Hi @spider – ah I’m only gently asking as this, because:

(\(\;;/)/)

reminded me of Quinch.
    Mind you, that’s how my brain works (hopefully I’ll never have to do a Rorschach test!!)

🙂

Rob @rob

Wanders in looking for quadruple espresso in cyberman mug, rumages behind sofa and finds a small silver box, looks up smiling having just remembered the pack of emergency Jammy Dodgers in the back of the truck. Places said box on armresr. Waves somewhat over enthusiastically at all the ” Dr Who Forum friends”and heads off through the mud towards the promised land of coffee and biscuits ( is this part of a story arc or a stand alone scene) 😀

janetteB @janetteb

@rob Doctor 11 loves Jammy Dodgers, Doctor 12 is a coffee drinker so it sounds like story arc to me…

Cheers

Janette

JimboMcMaster @jimbomcmaster

@purofilion I too have been watching The Daemons recently. I’m four episodes in. It’s fun stuff, although the horror movie atmosphere seems to disappear after a couple of episodes, which is a shame, and I was also sad that the (BBC3!) TV crew and the archaeologist aren’t as prominent as the first episode led me to believe.

Also, maybe this has been mentioned before (couldn’t see anything on the Day of the Doctor thread, or the ‘TARDIS DataCore’ site), but I noticed there’s an Osgood working for UNIT in The Daemons. I like to think he’s the father of Osgood from the Day of the Doctor – both work for UNIT, both are technical expects and they wear similar glasses. Don’t see why not.

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.sorbier.co.uk/work/?category=tv&work=12

wolfweed @wolfweed

Those who watched Calum Dongle, will have heard a variation of the Dr Who theme 3 times…!
    z

Anonymous @

@jimbomcmaster yes, I’m 4 in too – I think there’s one to go. Everytime I start to watch, someone comes up the stairs and demands the laptop! Can we assume you’re Australian? 🙂   By now, Time Heist is out but like @janetteb I’m doing my best to stay away from that thread!

Kindest, puro.

acciotardis @acciotardis

Hi everyone! Thought I’d better introduce myself. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and having a good old natter about the Doctor 🙂

JimboMcMaster @jimbomcmaster

@purofilion I’m not Australian – I’m British. I am also still 4 in, with one to go – I hope to rectify this tomorrow! I dare not leave the Great White Wizard Qui Quae Quod waiting – he might smash my lampshade!

@acciotardis Welcome!

Anonymous @

Welcome @accicotardis hope you have a great time hear I’m new to ish about about month to get you engaged here is a question why do people talk why not use their hands to type or make signs like sign language?

Anonymous @

Question open to everyone 🙂

Rob @rob

Hello?

My strapline disappeared,  has anyone seen it wandering around?

Anonymous @

Did you check under the pillow?:)

BooksAreTheBestWeapon @booksarethebestweapon

Hello,

My name is Jessica Geiss and I was hoping you could help me out. I am currently studying for my masters degree in Information and Library Science at San Jose State University in California, and am doing a research paper on information communities for one of my classes. I chose to research the fandom of Doctor Who, since I am a huge Whovian myself, and am looking at Doctor Who websites specifically. I was hoping that you would be agreeable to answering a few questions for my paper.

1. Why do you use this website instead of the BBC site? Or do you use both?
    2. What do you primarily do on this site?
    3. What do you think draws people to Doctor Who? In your opinion, why has it lasted 50 years?
    4. What features/topics do you wish were better covered on this site?
    5. Do you use your local library? Why or why not?
    6. So you think a library could help promote fan communities such as Doctor Who?
    7. If you don’t actively use your library, would a library sponsored Doctor Who event (or any other pop culture event) make you want to use your local library more?
    8. How did you find this site?
    9. Do you primarily use this Doctor Who fan site, or do you use several?
    10. Have you ever been in a heated argument or been flamed on this site?

Just a sentence or two for each question would be very appreciated!

Thank You!

DrBen @drben

OK @booksarethebestweapon (nice name), I’ll bite:

1. I’ll use anything, but I’ve parked myself here since I discovered it last week because it’s delightful.

2. Read (and occasionally respond to) the Bonkers Theorizing on the most current episode.  Also, I’ve been slowly reading the responses in the “Faces of the Doctor” thread, which are truly fascinating.

3. For me, I am drawn to DW as a piece of speculative fiction that is fundamentally optimistic and positive.  The stories are generally excellent, the characters interesting, and the themes uplifting.  I like dystopia as much as the next sci-fi geek, but it’s a real treat to hear things like “I’ve never met anyone who isn’t important.”

4. I think the mods are doing a hell of a job and I applaud them.

5. All the time.   Because it’s awesome.

6. Sure — meetups, etc.  Our local library did two Doctor Who events for pre-teens and teenagers over the summer that were well attended.

7. N/A

8. A Google search for “Doctor Who Listen discussion”. 🙂  I think it was the first result.

9. I don’t really have time to dig deeply into more than one fan site, but I like the way this one is laid out, and I appreciate that all of the regular posters on the site seem intelligent and slightly obsessive, which is what you want in a fan site.  A bunch of “i liked it” or “i didn’t like it” is fine, but it’s so much more fun to speculate about whether and how Clara is going to die, or whether this season’s arc is based on Goethe’s Faust.

10. Not yet.  I’ve only been here a week, but everyone seems lovely.  From what I can tell, the mods keep a pretty close eye on things, so there seems to be a minimum or trolls or flame-wars.

Good luck!  Librarians are awesome.

SfunderlandPrincess @sfunderlandprincess

Hello! I’m not sure if this is how you post bot I’ll give it a shot anyway! I’m new to this website but it looks pretty cool! doctor who is definitely my favorite TV show of ALL TIME. Uhhh… I don’t really know what else to say so I guess this is it…. Bye Thanks!

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Sorry ’bout my grammar and spelling mistakes above I should really proofread before I post stuff. Sorry</p>

Oh wow just made it worse ok

@booksarethebestweapon (outstanding name. What frightens the Taliban more than the 82nd Airborne? A girl with a book.)

Why do you use this website instead of the BBC site? Or do you use both?

The BBC doesn’t have discussion possibilities that I have ever found (Maybe BBC America does?)

What do you primarily do on this site?

Bonkers theorising(tm). Freelance troll hunting

What do you think draws people to Doctor Who? In your opinion, why has it lasted 50 years?

It scares the kids (kids like to be scared), it is inventive, witty and at its best outstanding storytelling. The two things that have caused it to still being going 50 years on are a) regenerations (the ability to reinvent as needed) and b) the fan base refusing to quit.

What features/topics do you wish were better covered on this site?

Synchronised swimming. It’s a mystery to me. (Bonus point if you know the reference (it is non-Who))

Do you use your local library? Why or why not?

It is not very big and chronically underfunded, but mainly it does not fill a need for me.

So you think a library could help promote fan communities such as Doctor Who?

Sure, especially for the little ‘uns

If you don’t actively use your library, would a library sponsored Doctor Who event (or any other pop culture event) make you want to use your local library more?

Probably not, but that’s just me,

How did you find this site?

A refugee from the Guardian newspaper blogs which got troll-heavy (the site was set up by refugees, well, by @craig at the insistence of several).

Do you primarily use this Doctor Who fan site, or do you use several?

I occasionally look at others, but I have a low tolerance of trolling and fuckwittery and so does this site

Have you ever been in a heated argument or been flamed on this site?

I plead the Fifth (as you say over there). My low tolerance for fuckwittery occasionally finds itself expressed.

thommck @thommck

Writing in need of some consolation …

1) I am going to a party tomorrow night. Although it’s going to be really good fun and I am looking forward to it a lot I have a feeling that a Doctor Who screening isn’t on the agenda. Oh well, that’s what iPlayer is for.

2) Slightly more worrying is that my middle son (13th birthday next month) told me over dinner that he isn’t really bothered about Doctor Who any more and only watches it to make me happy! Bundled with the fact that we can’t watch it live tomorrow I fear we may be down to a 2/5 Whovian family :'(

Anonymous @

@thommck

That reminds me of a conversation someone I know had when he was 13. He thought Doctor Who was for geeks, so stopped watching it to do something a bit more ‘manly’ instead – he started trainspotting 😆

Guess who that 13 year old was?

Don’t worry, if he’s anything like I was he’ll soon return to his place behind the sofa 😉

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@thommck – given that I teach kids quite a lot, I’ll join with @fatmaninabox by saying it’s a normal phase in growing up.

Teenagers do this ‘it’s childish/a bit geeky to like Doctor Who’ thing. Doctor Who was something they loved when they were little kids, they’re trying very hard to establish that they’re not quite a kid any more, so they don’t like it as much (or at all). Not really bothered, not that keen, etc.

Though strangely, they can quite often discuss last week’s episode in detail. They’re just watching it because their family watch it. It’s Dad who likes it. Or something. 😉

ManyFacesofDave @manyfacesofdave

A friend in a Doctor Who group asked for some jokes to cheer him up. In a moment of inspiration, I started free-flowing and creating this! It’s a take off of Who’s on First? by Abbott and Costello. The following is a cut and paste of that, editing out typos. ‘ ‘ is Person 1, ” ” is Person 2.
    ‘There’s so many great Doctors in comic books and sci-fi! What’s the name of your favorite Doctor?’
    “Who.”
    ‘Your favorite Doctor.’
    “Who.”
    ‘No, what is the name of your favorite Doctor!?’
    “”Who!”
    ‘That’s what I’m asking you! You’re saying your favorite Doctor is…Who?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘Huh?’
    “You answered the question.”
    ‘Who’s your favorite Doctor?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘Who?’
    “My favorite Doctor.”
    ‘That’s what I’m asking! Okay, your favorite Doctor is Doctor Yes?’
    “No.”
    ‘But you just said…’
    “I like Doctor No, but he’s not my favorite Doctor”
    ‘You like No, but not your favorite?’
    “”Yes.”
    ‘Who’s your favorite Doctor?’
    “Who.”
    ‘Your favorite Doctor!’
    “Who.”
    ‘The one that’s not Doctor No!’
    “Yes.”
    ‘So your favorite is Doctor Yes?’
    “No, Who.”
    ‘THAT’S WHAT I’M ASKING YOU!!! Okay, I know Doctor No is one you like, but not your favorite. What’s the name of another Doctor you like?’
    “”Manhattan. ”
    ‘What?’
    “Manhattan.”
    ‘A Doctor you like is in Manhattan?’
    “No.”
    ‘What’s his name?’
    “Manhattan.”
    ‘Who’s in Manhattan?’
    “Not any more, he lost Amy and Rory there.”
    ‘Who did?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘Who lost someone in Manhattan?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘So you like Doctor Yes?’
    “No.”
    ‘I’m not asking about Doctor No! Who’s in Manhattan?’
    “Not any more.”
    ‘Wait…there’s a Doctor Not Anymore in Manhattan?’
    “No, that’s silly.”

‘Okay, what do you call your favorite Doctor?’

“The Doctor.”
    ‘Yeah, your favorite. ‘
    “The Doctor.”
    ‘Right! Who is The Doctor?’
    “Yes, that’s the question.”
    ‘Huh?’
    “The question is Doctor Who?”
    ‘That’s what I’ve been asking! Okay…Who’s your favorite Doctor?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘So he’s Doctor Yes?’
    “No.”
    ‘But you like Doctor No.’
    “Yes. ”
    ‘Doctor No is your number 2. Who’s your number 3?’
    “No, he’s number 1.”
    ‘I’m not asking you Who’s number 1 right now!’
    “No, that was your first question, and you just answered it.”
    ‘What? When?’
    “A second ago.”
    ‘Who did I say was your number one?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘So he’s Doctor Yes?’
    “No.”
    ‘I’m not asking about Doctor No! I asked who was your number 3?’
    “Manhattan, Who is my number one.’
    ‘Aha! So your favorite is is called The Doctor in Manhattan!’
    “No, not since he lost Amy and Rory.”
    ‘Who!??’
    “Yes.”
    ‘Who is The Doctor?’
    “That’s the question.”
    ‘The Question!?? What the hell does a faceless detective have to do with this? He’s not a doctor, and he has nothing to do with Manhattan!’
    “You’re getting off topic.”
    ‘I’m gonna kick you in the nuts soooo hard…’
    “No need to be violent, you asked the question, I answered the question, then you answered the question. Your last question went off-topic.”
    ‘So…The Question is not a Doctor?’
    “Yes.”
    ‘The Question IS a Doctor?’
    “No.”
    ‘So…who is The Doctor you mentioned?’
    “That is the question.”
    ‘You just said The Question isn’t a Doctor.’
    “Yes.”
    ‘But, when I asked you who is The Doctor, you said that’s The Question.’
    “Yes.”
    ‘So, The Question is also Doctor Yes?’
    “No, that’s silly.”
    ‘Then WHO is THE DOCTOR!??’
    “That is the question.”
    ‘See? Now you’re calling him Doctor Question!’
    “No, there IS No Doctor Question, but the question is, Who is The Doctor?”
    ‘THAT’S WHAT I’VE BEEN ASKING!! Okay, I’m gonna lose it. You’re not making any sense, and you’re ticking me off!’
    “I’m not trying to upset you! You got it right, retrace your steps.”
    ‘Okay…your number 2 is Doctor No, and your number 3 is Manhattan, and your number 1 is Who went there, and lost Amy and Rory.
    “Yes.”
    ‘So your favorite Doctor, who you call The Doctor, doesn’t have anything to do with Manhattan anymore.’
    “Yes.”
    ‘Hold on, there is no Doctor Yes, there’s only the question of Who is The Doctor, and he has nothing to do with The Question!’
    “You’ve got it!”
    ‘…..I don’t even understand what I said! I’m sorry I asked who your favorite Doctor is, I feel like I need one! My blood pressure’s up, I feel sick, and if I get a stress headache, it’ll be your doom!’
    “What did you just say?”
    ‘DOOM!!’
    “Oh, that’s my number 4 favorite!”
    ‘AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!’

I made a video of it as an audioplay. Enjoy!

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/QV1fePCjOdw” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@purofilion

Have a great holiday and lots of fun 🙂 I learned to scuba dive in St Martin. Very nearly got my PADI but couldn’t for the life of me change jackets in the water  🙁

Still, even without a certificate it was money well spent. I’ll never forget the deeper dives. It was an amazing experience. I’d love to have another go.

Enjoy!!  🙂

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@thommk @fatmaninabox @bluesqueakpip

I’ve spent 10 years teaching 11-16-yr-olds. I second @fatmaninabox: Thommk junior will be back behind the sofa before too long :). And I second @bluesqueakpip : Being bored of (and possibly a bit too cool for) everything your parents do is a rite of passage for every teenager:)

And I’d just add this:

Of the kids I’ve taught, almost all have had some sort of teenage anti-parent rebellion (even if it was only “Mum wants me to learn German but I prefer Dutch” 🙂 )

But one thing they all have in common: their parents are their rock, and deep down they idolise their mums and dads 🙂

x

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I can’t believe I’m on the Sofa. On Saturday. Waiting for a new episode of Doctor Who! To put that into context, I’ve had to work the last five, in the evenings into small hours of the morning. This, my friends, is a treat, and an unexpected one, as I understood it wouldn’t happen till next weekend.

So – I have preparations to consider. Fire up the Pizza oven! I demand, wine, woman and song! Bring forth the slaves to prepare the Dungeon!! Alphabetise the furniture!!! Release the were-hounds into the grounds to keep interruptions at bay!!!! Place a bulk order for more exclamation marks!!!! Bwa-hahaahahahhaahha!!!!!

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

Great to have you back. (Sadly I’m going to have to timeshift tonight – the new timeslot doesn’t half eat into Saturday night socialising time!)  Hope all the small furry animals cope without you – or are they big furry animals now?!

Btw I have a big stash of excalmation marks if you need any!!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Hope all the small furry animals cope without you – or are they big furry animals now?!

I understand they will be well catered for, although I think it was for the best that they swapped personnel a week early. Apparently my fixed (and entirely fake) grin at the sight was becoming noticeably strained, as I missed yet another appointment with our TimeLord. I’m back tomorrow night, and will probably be happier.

Many thanks for the offer of your stash of exclamation marks, but apparently IKEA do a range of bulk, flat-pack exclamation marks in their ÄSHOL range of accessories! I have placed an order which I’m assured is rushing to me as I type.

amarillodoug @amarillodoug

Howdy y’all.  I’m a newbie from Texas and this is my first post.  I became fascinated with the doctor when I was a kid and saw Tom Baker play the fourth doctor. Then for some reason I quit watching. I refound the series about 5 years or so ago and I’m addicted this time.  I’ve seen every episode four times each beginning with Rose through Time Heist.  I’m currently watching The Caretaker for the second time – my grandkids are visiting and I was too distrscted to give it my full attention on the first siring. I’m looking forward to some interesting Who discussions. I’m actually more of lurker so I’ll be here in the shadows reading.

Rob @rob

Peeps up at Post above hmmm #32604 not there yet…..

Wave a friendly hello @amarillodoug 🙂

Rummages down back of sofa finds a little silver box, shakes it, puts it back

Not working properly, will have to do some extra work perhaps the Mk III will be an improvement

@tennantlove9090 Nope not there still looking 😉

@janetteb you’re most probably correct, now where is that dunked Jammy Dodger 😀

thommck @thommck

Thanks for the reassurance @fatmaninabox @bluesqueakpip & @idiotsavon.

I’m pleased to say that he did decide to join us back on the sofa for this weeks viewing and luckily it was to his liking 🙂

I have a feeling it may be due to new Action Man Danny

janetteB @janetteb

Our middle son lost interest for a while, partly I suspect because none of his friends were fans and it wasn’t cool. Now that one of his best friends is a fan it is cool enough to have Who pictures on school books and the application of Jammy Dodgers during viewing helps. He is probably less enthusiastic than the rest of the family but there is a little bit of “second son” syndrome there too. I am glad to hear that the recalcitrant took up his place on the sofa one again @thommck

Cheers

Janette

DoctorBaker @doctorbaker

Hi everyone!  Very recent ‘Nu-Whovian’ here.

Tom Baker’s Doctor formed some of my very earliest childhood memories and I was about 4 when Pete Davison took the keys to the TARDIS.

The odd thing is that young children are supposed to be better at adapting to new things, but even at that age, I felt the magic had left the show with Tom.   As I grew up, I watched the occasional Pete/Colin/Sylvester episode, but by then, my love for the series was dead.

When it got a fresh start in 2005, I remained skeptical and never bothered with it. Then, a couple of months ago, my brother told me he had started watching it again. After a lot of convincing, he got me to watch an episode; The Snowmen.  I was pleasantly surprised at the high production values:  The acting was actually good! The sets were great! The special effects convincing. The music was orchestrated instead of that tinny synthesised sound which characterised 80’s DW. I could tell immediately, DW had come a long way since I left it.

In the last couple of months, I’ve watched all of Nine’s stint (hmm… more ‘miss’ than ‘hit’ I feel), most of Ten’s (probably my 2nd fav doc) and some of Eleven’s (also excellent).  At the same time, I’m watching Twelve as its broadcast.

Anyway, I have a question I’d like to put here: I’m curious about which countries have the largest DW fan bases?
    The recent World Tour included 6 countries: UK, U.S. Mexico, Brazil, S. Korea and Australia.  I assume they picked these countries because they have a lot of fans. But that got me wondering where else it was popular. I’d guess UK and U.S. top the list but what about India? China? Russia? etc.

Rob @rob

Morning to all Sofanistas

Is anyone going to Wyntercon at Eastbourne at the end of the month…. I’m hoping to go to meet up with ( a long back story which I won’t bore you all with) some friends and wondered if any of you might be attending and would want to meet for a coffee?

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

woohoo I finally did it yay . Yes I finally  after months and months of hair pulling frustration have actually  done it and ive only gone  bald in the process. Yippeee.

Oh  what have I done  you ask lol, yes I have finally got it  to the pesky end,  got it  to its ultimate conclusion, that mind bending puzzle that is 2048: the doctor who edition :))) yes its actually given me an RSI  but ive done it :))) no more will I feel compelled to give it one more try no more will I lose hours and hours trying to complete it :))

Oh and by the way I blame @fatmaninabox for introduing me to this devious and time sucking game

Arbutus @arbutus

@devilishrobby    devious and time sucking game      Hahahahaha!  No kidding. I wasted hours on that stupid thing last spring, before finally getting lucky and finishing it. Now I find other ways to waste my time.   🙂   Congratulations on being free to move to the next thing!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Morning all. Just before I nip out for chores ‘n’ stuff, a couple of links from the G, if you haven’t seen them.

Loved this little quiz “Who said it Doctor Who or Doctor Seuss”. General fun, but it strikes me there are good messages in both, with some interesting parallels.

Catherine Bennett has an occasional series on Modern Tribes, and this week she’s looking at Whovians (a term I’ve never been in love with).

Anyway, it’s all very knowing, with elements of truth, etc, but the central premise that there is a consistent train of thought on anything in the 50 year of Doctor Who is laughable in the extreme. It would be like juggling Piranha fish underwater. They’ll have the skin of yer fingers in seconds. Catherine should have cast a look at Dan’s blogs for research.

As a tribe, we’ve got more ongoing feuds than an entire hillside of hillbillies.

JJhubb @jjhubb

I was watching the day of the moon and it occurred to me that Moffat missed an opportunity to make both the episode and the 11th doctor so much darker.

What if instead of using the video of Neil Armstrong touching down on the moon he had used another famous video relating to the space program? Specifically the video of the space-shuttle Challenger exploding.

What if he had written it so that the scene where the Doctor is attaching Amy’s phone to the shuttle was also him sabotaging the Challenger causing it to explode. He could have implied that without the Doctor’s interference the challenger mission would have gone off without a hitch. He could have written in scenes where the Doctor is struggling with the moral dilemma of killing the astronauts to create the famous video as a way of  introducing the Silents to humanity.

We have seen that the Doctor is willing to sacrifice his entire species to end the time war, is it really that far of a jump to have him killing 7 humans for the sake of alerting humans to the Silents?

I just think that had Moffat done that it would have added another level of darkness to the Doctor and the episode.  I understand the reasons for not writing the episode like this because it would have been pretty offensive to the families of the 7 astronauts  killed in the accident but if it had been it would have been so much darker than the actual episode

Dickiebow @dickiebow

Hello everyone! I’m new here! I decided to introduce myself, because introductions are cool. My name is Lindsey and I am a relatively new fan. I decided to start watching the revival series on Netflix and was hooked right away. From Eccleston to Capaldi, I have enjoyed every minute I have devoted to watching and and learning about Doctor Who. I finished the series just in time to catch the new season. I am so used to binge watching episode after episode that it feels strange for me to have to wait a whole week… I look forward to the new episodes all week. Now that I’m all caught up with the revival series, I spend my free time watching the classic series on hulu. I’m loving that, as well (Troughton FTW).  I love the series and I can’t wait for my complete box set to arrive in the mail this Friday, because I crave all the special features like the parasite god in The Rings of Akhaten.

I considered my favorite doctor to be the tenth until the 11th came along and broke my heart into a million pieces by his last episode. In all honesty, Tennant and Smith are very near even. I think it’s safe to say that I love the character and have fallen in love with every adaptation I’ve seen.

When I’m not massively obsessing about Doctor Who, I like watching and collecting movies, riding my bike, reading and drinking coffee. I am really happy I’ve found a community to discuss all things Who.

Viewing 50 posts - 601 through 650 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.