On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    Mudlark @mudlark

My vote would be for either Survival or The Greatest Show in the Galaxy since I have seen neither of these, whereas it is not long since I watched the other two on the Horror Channel.  Survival has cats, which is in its favour, but on balance I think I would plump for TGSitG.

ScaryB @scaryb

Greetings!  Been AWOL again this week, but been enjoying all the comments. @markymoomoo, @whoville, @mudlark welcome to the forum and great first posts.

Welcome also to the new members who obv read the Etiquette doc and decided to give an example of what we meant, point by point! Bit of advice – don’t bother!

@phaseshift – re McCoy episodes – start whenever you like! Sylvester salvaged 80s Who as far as I’m concerned, despite the Beeb’s best efforts to kill it off.  My 1st vote for Fenric (@Whisht’s reasons also get my vote!), then Survival, mainly cos I haven’t seen it. Also it’s got cats in it (as @mudlark mentioned), and it was written by Rona Munro, one of the few female Who writers And a fellow Scot to boot.

(Talking of female writers – anyone been following Philip Morris (lost prog hunter) in Twitter recently? He seems to be on a 1-man mission to hammer the show over its lack of women writers… and anything else he can think of. Or is it just an excuse to have a go at Moffat (seems no love lost there at all).

Right -0ff to warm up the TV – sooooooooooooooo excited about Listen.

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘Battlefield’, please…
    z

Arbutus @arbutus

@wolfweed    Oh, I love Battlefield. But I fear I’m in the minority, as a lot of people seem to consider it pretty lame. But I thought Nicholas Courtney was lovely, and Jean Marsh was a terrific Morgaine, and I loved the notion of the Doctor as Merlin (and being recognized even with a different face, simply because he was so “Merlinish”!).

@mudlark    Survival has cats, which is in its favour.     I like how you think!  🙂

thommck @thommck

I was born in 1982 & have vivid memories of Doctor Who. Surely I wasn’t only 5 when it was cancelled? Did they repeat it later? It always annoyed me when people my age said they never saw it (e.g. Billie Piper & Matt Smith!) because it wasn’t on in their youth.

Sly was definitely my Doctor, although I didn’t have anyone to compare him to really!

I’d be very keen to see what the collective mind think is his best story

Beezilla @beezilla

Hello! Brand new here but been a Doctor Who fan since the 80s when I started watching it with Tom Baker. I’ve not read through all the comments or searched for this being brought up(sorry if it’s been/being discussed elsewhere here, but twice I’ve now seen Jenna NOT want to go off with the Doctor. It really stands out to me! Thoughts or redirection to where a conversation on this might be going on would be greatly appreciated!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome, @beezilla
    Join the conversation on the Listen thread. It’s not neccessary to read every post before you post (& often not humanly possible).
    Conversations about new episodes should be kept to those threads, so repeat your observations over there.
    Looking forward to your theories…

HisDreamer @hisdreamer

Hi all, new to the forum. Been ‘listening’ for a few months now and really opened my ears and eyes to Doctor Who and the circles within circles that this divine show creates for us. Also very in awe of the regulars, they see so much, the connections and references to plots and other episodes–love it. Just a grasshopper here. Thank you for being so kind to newcomers; seen some other sites be quite tetchy.  Now off to watch Listen again, after getting some “schooling”

~Warm Regards, HD

Spider @spider

Hello everyone!

Have been having a great time reading through posts about the new episodes and thought it was about time I actually joined so I can stick my oar in too!  Some very interesting theories and comments floating about here! (and the occasional troll but that’s what tissue compression eliminators are for. Or perhaps we should…melt them with acid!)

A quick background. Have been watching the show since, well as long as I can remember :).  Peter Davison was MY Doctor waaay back then. With the new series, David Tennant fast became MY Doctor (of the new series). I was very, very VERY devastated when he left…so much so I think I could never quite take to Matt Smith – which is a shame because he was so very good. And, just when I finally got round to properly liking him he goes and changes!

It has taken me a little bit of time to get used to him but I am now unashamedly a huge Capaldi Doctor fangirl (always loved the actor so really wanted him to be good). I love the new ‘darkerish’ Doctor route, that he can be coldly logical at times, and rude! plus I love that he is Scottish. Also I think it has catapulted Clara into a completely new and far better place – IMO she never quite worked with 11 but is the perfect foil for 12. Egomaniac needy game players the pair of them!

The episode this weekend pretty much blew my head off! WOW! (and that is all i will say – spoilers sweeties).  I shall be off to give that a second watch pretty soon…or technically give half of it a second watch and half of it a third watch (there was some wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff due to fireworks happening on the Forth Bridge on Saturday (it’s 50th b’day – bah that was SO last year ;)) and people arriving back halfway through the episode so requiring rewatch from the start…gah!).

Anyway, see you all soon i expect, or later. One of those….

(\(\;;/)/)

herisson @herisson

Hi all – longtime lurker here, but yesterday’s episode drew me out of the woodwork.

I started watching the show in 1983, when I was in graduate school and really needed a break from studying and all-round stress. PBS (for you non-USians, that’s Public Broadcasting Service) had licensed a goodly chunk of Too Baker’s run, starting shortly before The Horror of Fang Rock and ending right after Logopolis. So Tom Baker is definitely “my” doctor, though Matt is right up there with him and Capaldi is gaining fast.

I love the old series, with its serial episodes (even all the running down corridors!) and bargains basement special effects and sets. My favorite of the latter is the but where the Doctor and Romans are on Gallifrey, and some of the doorways and stairwells look like the back mof a warehouse that’s been festooned with tinsel and crepe paper. It’s a bit tacky, but somehow that adds to the overall likeableness of the show and characters.

Baker’s hat, scarf, greatcoat, pocket full of jelly babies – and facial expressions – will always be among my favorites aspects of not only his Doctor, but *the* Doctor. Add his comic timing and deadpan delivery, and you’ve got a combination that makes for great watching!

I have reservations about a lot of both RTD’s and Moffatt’s ideas and scripts, but the show was uneven BG, so I’m not complaining – just very glad to have it back, less farting aliens and superhero movie effects-style Master. (I think I’m still very partial to the BG version of him, to be honest.)

This forum seems like a wonderful place to kick back and toss ideas around, and I look forward to it.

nick1235 @nick1235

Heyoo, greetings from Asia everyone, my name is Nick and been the Doctor who fans since like 1-2 months top, I’m new and have been watching since the reboot and fell in love with the Doctor like straight away. Christopher E draws me into it with his FANTASTIC acting and accent, a bit sad that he didn’t get more time as the Doctor, cause I think he’s FANTASTIC! Before we go any further, I’m Asian, and never take English private course, so do please get all fancy with me, maybe I can learn a thing or two here! Cheers 😀

Anonymous @

welcome to @nick1235 It’s great you liked Chris E -many of us did too. Do you like Capaldi in the new role?

nick1235 @nick1235

@purofilion absolutely, I’ve just watch Listen like 30 minutes ago and I just love him so much, he can get so quirky and odd as the Doctor always does, his accent is so brilliant! What about you?

Arbutus @arbutus

Hi, @nick1235! Welcome to the Pacific Rim watch of the Doctor Who Forum. We carry the torch while the British are asleep. (Most of them, anyway. Occasionally, a night owl shows up and surprises us all!) I am across the Pacific from you, in Vancouver.

I’m with you, I love the new Doctor. I connected with him instantly, because he reminds me of many of the Doctors from earlier eras of the show, which I used to watch when I was younger. Such a great show that attracts fans from all over the world.

nick1235 @nick1235

@arbutus thank you for the very heartwarming welcome 😀 but please tell me I’m not doing anything wrong by replying through the forums 3 times in a row on 1 page, I don’t want the Brits feel like they’ve been invaded while they’re asleep 😀

Exactly, there’s always something you’ll love about the doctor, I haven’t got my times on the pre-reboot versions, do you happen to know anywhere I can watch them, but the one with the subtitles, I’m not that good at listening xD

Arbutus @arbutus

@nick1235    Oh, no, they will just get up in the morning to find out what has been going on while they slept (usually much less than happens while we sleep!). It’s rather quiet this evening (evening for me); there are a number of Australians and Americans that sometimes get going at this time, and things can get lively.

As for early episodes, I don’t know about subtitled ones. Dailymotion has a lot of stuff, but not many with subtitles, and those are usually Spanish (I think). Maybe you would find something on Asian sites? I can sympathize about watching things in other languages: supposedly I speak French, but I could never get through a French film with subtitles!

Anonymous @

@nick1235 yes I too adore Capaldi in this role. As for finding Old Who versions, I’ve always bought them at our ABC store in Australia. I know that various channels in various countries show old stories and there are streaming arenas like Spotify whereby Dr Who could be found -but, I’m not sure. Other more technical people on this Forum will give you knowledge about that. I’ve just watched ‘Listen’ twice more. A little less confused but flabbergasted by how ‘spot on’ it really was. It took me another watch to ‘warm’ to it, though. Kindest, purofilion

nick1235 @nick1235

@arbutus Thank god, cause there’s this forum in where I live, where there’s one rule that you shouldn’t reply too much cause the server might overload, hence you must quote and edit your post in the previous reply, never fancy them stuffs.

Aren’t there like some kind of French language also in your currency? or in your national anthem? My brother live in Vancouver, he told me a thing or two about it. I don’t actually like watching movie or series if they’re not in they’re own language subtitles, or the one I speak, because if they’re in they’re own language, I can actually learn more and more about the language.  Thanks for the tip!

@purofilion Indonesian’s tv stations are the worst, over here, they only broadcast like teenage chick-flick, a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad copy of twilight made in to series. Like a pure bad copy, with horrendous actors ( disgusted by how I have call them actors ) a long afternoon of bad local music live, almost everyone lip-sync, and a bad sync one, that runs for 2-3 hours, blatant copy of every reality tv like american idol, britain’s got talent, etc, etc, and most of them owned by corrupt politician just to shift the image of them for the low level class of people, it is horrendous, that’s why I don’t watch TV here anymore, the only thing I watch is football, I mean Soccer, for the Murica’s fellow 🙂 Thanks for the information though, and sorry about the rants.

“Listen” left us with a lot of questions, I’m really excited of how the series will build up, cause I think that this episode will form the rest of the season.

@herisson greetings fellow whovian, thank you for your kindness bringing up the Tom Baker doctor as your doctor, now I want to watch the early episodes more than ever! I don’t really know who is my doctor to date, cause everyone just impresses me somehow, they have this sort of little impact that makes the Doctor, who he is now. It doesn’t always make sense, but that’s good because that’s always makes us wonders of how will it turn up.

Cheers!

Arbutus @arbutus

@nick1235     Yes, we are officially bilingual here, French and English, but most of the native French speakers are in the east, not as many here. I learned in school and do okay, but haven’t had enough chance to really use it to get fluent. My son is learning in school now, so I am relearning some of the things I have forgotten!  🙂  I agree that it is fun and helpful to watch films in their original language, with subtitles to help. When you see things that have been overdubbed in another language, it often looks very silly, because the actors are clearly saying something different than what you hear!

I love your positive attitude about Doctor Who and all the different doctors and complicated stories! I feel the same way, there has always been something to like about every doctor, and almost all the stories. It’s just good fun. Since I started reading this forum I have enjoyed thinking about the complicated story lines in ways that I probably wouldn’t have on my own. People here have very interesting minds!

nick1235 @nick1235

@arbutus exactly! I also learn a thing or two about Mandarin back in my school days, but I was young and stupid, so I didnt pay much attention to it, hence I didn’t got much, now I know how language is a huge barrier in these modern days, especially in the internet, it helps if you speaks bilingual, and it helps a lot!

Likewise, I also like thinking about complicated story, I’ve completed a couple of series, the one like How I Met Your Mother, Friends, the on-going Sherlock Holmes by Cumberbatch, it all gives me fun times but not one of them left me with a lot of questions like Doctor Who, I myself, love to tinker with my mind, seeing things in different ways, and always try to be positive about it. One thing I like so much about the Doctor is that I don’t see it coming to an end anywhere in the future, unlike Lie To Me, it was a great series, to one kind I like to watch, but it got cancelled in the third series due to the image they were giving to the viewers about politician or world leaders.

janetteB @janetteb

I just wanted to express a concern which really belongs here. I think it was @purofilion who mentioned on the “Listen” thread that @blenkinsopthebrave is AWOL. He has not posted for some weeks, as far as I can see. I hope he is ok…

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

thanks @janetteb I did. I was looking for his (@Blenkinsopthebrave  )  comments from Deep Breath and saw none. Perhaps he was planning a late Summer holiday -….?

Anonymous @

I should welcome the new people who arrived at once @herisson @hisdreamer and @spider -perhaps due to the interest caused by Listen?  First time I saw it, I was really ‘Oh what the…??’, then I guess I was rather annoyed -but that’s because I really couldn’t understand it! After thinking, very hard and watching it again, I love it.

I think I’ll watch it a 4th time shortly which is possibly obsession? Not sure!

herisson @herisson

@purofilion – Thanks for the welcome!

I’ve been lurking on this forum, off and on, since early last season, but decided to jump into the discussion due to “Listen.” Check my “How Tom Baker made me love the Doctor” intro. post above. 🙂

Apopheniac @apopheniac

Not sure if this belongs here or in TV Shows.

Last nights Only Connect had a team called the Gallifreyans (they met on “the worlds largest Doctor Who site”).

Even better, a young man on the other team was called Vyvyan.

thommck @thommck

I saw this article after Mark Gatiss tweeted about it after the episode “Listen” – Doctor Who Recap: A Lesson In How To Upset The Fanbase

Arbutus @arbutus

I have also wondered about @blenkinsopthebrave, ever since he didn’t come on to post his thoughts about “Mark of the Rani” last month. Concerned thoughts going out over the WiFi!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Yes, I’m also concerned about @blenkinsopthebrave I hope, even if he’s left us for some reason, he will pop on and let us know he’s okay.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Oooh. Sofa feels about right now. Achy back.

Just to echo the concern about @blenkinsopthebrave. I understood he was investigating ways of watching Doctor Who without access to the Space channel in Canada. I can understand if he’s staying away until he’s seen the episodes, but it’s not the same without him. 🙁

TheBrainOfMoffat @thebrainofmoffat

Hello, figured I’d plop down next to some of you after having already posted three non-introductory, er, posts… in the Listen thread.

I was born in ’86, but didn’t know about — or wasn’t conscious of — Doctor Who until… probably 2011 at the earliest. In August 2012 I decided to try Doctor Who and signed up for Netflix’s 30-day trial. During that month of free shows, I gobbled up all six seasons of New Who that they had available. Since then, I’ve kept current, and am watching Capaldi’s episodes as they come out. I’m not the only one in the house who enjoys the Doctor, though — my sister is starting Series 8, and my dad did much as I did and gobbled up New Who in a short span of time. He’s currently current, as well. My mom doesn’t find much time to watch, and she’s on Series 3 — just got done with Family of Blood several weeks ago (yes, “just”). I was the vector of infection for all of them. 😀 My dad is actually a bit obsessed with the show now, which surprised me. I can talk with him about so much of it, but he admits to needing to rewatch Series 1-present to remind him of stuff.

My musings on time travel actually started around ’98 or ’99, after I’d finished the video game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. For those who aren’t familiar with it, its ending involves the creation of a second timeline, and the game series has taken advantage of both since (as well as a third that was inserted ad hoc to fit older games in). Even with my history of thinking about time travel, I still haven’t been able to wrap my mind around Matt Smith’s run. Has anyone written one giant document trying to make sense of it yet? I’d be extremely interested in reading such a thing.

Anyway, nice to come aboard! Pleasant place, this is.

TheBrainOfMoffat @thebrainofmoffat

Oh, btw, while I was obviously enjoying RTD’s time as showrunner (else I wouldn’t have continued into Moffat), Moffat is probably what I like most about the show right now. I love these timey wimey, season-long, stories. I just hope I continue to be a big fan of the show once someone else takes Moffat’s place.

janetteB @janetteb

Welcome @thebrainofmoffat and all the other new members who have introduced themselves here. Take a seat, enjoy the ride.

@arbutus Yes I did think it odd that after advocating Mark of the Rani so eloquently he did not comment on it. I do hope he is well.

Cheers

Janette

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

The Greatest Sylvester McCoy Episode Vote in the Galaxy

Many thanks for everyone who has voted so far, and particularly for giving us first and second choices. Perhaps we can avoid agonising tie break situations with an AV system? 😀

So, to date, this is how the voting is shaping up. @wolfweed introduced the wild card, Battlefield, whose typical Thrills! and Spills! are augmented by the presence of Nicholas Courtney as the Brig. His last appearance in the show proper (he made a delightful sparkly eyed appearance in the Sarah Jane Adventures).

Story (Episodes) First Votes
    Second Votes
    Remembrance of the Daleks (4 x 25 minute )
    The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (4 x 25 minute)  @arbutus @mudlark  @purofilion @bluesqueakpip
    Battlefield (4 x 25 minute)  @wolfweed
    The Curse of Fenric (4 x 25minute)  @janetteB @purofilion @bluesqueakpip @whisht @scaryb  @arbutus
    Survival (3 x 25 minute)  @janetteB @mudlark @scaryb

If I have misrepresented anyone’s vote, let me know. Voting can go on for some time, so anyone who wants to nominate a story for a group watch and dissection, give it some thought. Let’s do the First Scottish Doctor justice here.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@thebrainofmoffat

Oh, well done, young sir, in infecting the whole family. It’s actually pretty unusual to find the route of infection going from young to old as it’s so often the parants who introduce the children. Nicely played. 🙂

Has anyone written one giant document trying to make sense of it yet? I’d be extremely interested in reading such a thing.

Gosh – you’d need a book for that surely? I think you’ll find analyses of various episodes dotted about, and I’d recommend reading posts by @bluesqueakpip, who loves a good diagram. This one on Day of the Doctor, and the contra view by @nick will give you a taste.

I’m also a fan of the approach, and have an interest in the representation of time in the show. I wrote a blog (not one of my best, I’ll admit) on some of the historical perspective to the arguments about time throughout it’s 50 years here. It may give you an overview about how some fans see the show.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Hurrah! Mrs Blenkinsop has finally agreed to let me out of the cellar. Fortunately, the cellar was well stocked.

And thanks to @purofilion, @janetteb, @arbutus, @craig, @phaseshift for the thoughts.

Crikey, so much to catch up on. It might take a while.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave — welcome back to the light, sir!

@phaseshift — the only way is Fenric…. with after much deliberation Battlefield as a second choice. (Was going to go for Survival, which has much to recommend it, but … Hale and Pace.)

Arbutus @arbutus

@blenkinsopthebrave     Well, if you have to be locked up anywhere, you picked the right spot! Glad you’re out, though.

@wolfweed, I love Battlefield. It seems to get a bad rap from a lot of people, but it’s always been one of my favourites. I always thought it was a better outing for the Brig than Mawdryn Undead, and Jean Marsh was fab. Seriously considering changing my backup vote!

FiveFaces @fivefaces

I just read in The Guardian that Doctor Who is going to move later in the month to an 8:30 start time (ending at 9:15). I wonder what others think of this, but I think it’s a shame. OK, it’s not a school night, but at the youngest end this is really going to stretch things. 8:30 strikes me as very late for a family show like this.

monangesolitaire @monangesolitaire

Hi, I’m new here! I’ve been watching since about 2005/6, when I was about 7 or 8. My favourite doctor is 10 but I’ve never not liked a regeneration that I’ve watched. 🙂

@fivefaces

I don’t have a particular problem with it and the BBC is in a bit of a “rock/hard place” thanks to the Clash of the Tedious Titans – and anything is better that that godawful quiz show with the robot as a lead-in. And I think the practical reality is that timeshift is a huge factor in Who (and most drama) now so the nominal broadcast time is less significant..

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave Good to have you back with us. Hope the cellar isn’t too depleted.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@fivefaces

Interestingly, in Oz, and certainly in Brisbane, the light peeks thru the window in September at about 5.15 am and at 4 am in Summer.  Children, even at the age of 10 are in bed by 8.30pm as their feet can be heard pattering around by 4 or 5 in the ‘morning’!! Not mine of course. He was told “stay in your room on pain of smacks”. I would think it should be on at about 7 pm in your country -well, anyway, there was a time when it was. But as @pedant suggests, it’s a time shift and other accommodations can be made.

The local Brisbane radio had a few ex-Pats discussing the ‘vote’ and playing the advertisements from both sides in an effort to educate the Australian public. Like the States, we seem to be a country fast losing interest in anything beyond our shores unless it’s about (as our PM would say), “the boat peoples”.

Kindest, puro

FiveFaces @fivefaces

@purofilion I don’t envy you your 4am alarm call: mine at least have the grace to leave it until 6 (but then it’s darker over here, of course).

I would think it should be on at about 7pm

I know these days are long gone, but for me the proper time for Doctor Who will always be 5:40 on a Saturday afternoon…

Isn’t it? Wasn’t it? Small boys in the park; jumpers for goalposts. Final Score with James Alexander Gordon. Forfar 5, Fife 4; how we laughed. Something else on afterwards: news? Basil Brush? Fishfingers and baked beans! Sit in front of the telly. Woooo eeee oooo. Dadadada Dadadada. What’s this: Full Circle? Terrifying swamp creature rises from misty lagoon. Eek! Where’s the sofa?

And that’s where the memory fails. Goodness knows how little me would have coped with waiting until 8:30!

ScaryB @scaryb

Welcome back @blenkinsopthebrave

Great to see you back. I presume your cellar is a lot less well stocked now!

🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

Oh, and welcome to @monangesolitaire

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and bonkers theories

🙂

Anonymous @

Waaahaaahaaa I have watched for the 1st time The Daemons with Pertwee. Mother used to think it too scary and promptly switched off the tele!

Here, Pertwee says “reverse the polarrrity” with a gorgeous rolled ‘rrr’ and continually puts down Jo with: “did you fail Latin as well as Scarnce?”  Of course his diphthong was totally absent. Instead, us Ozzies would say “Soyence”. She, poor thing of the 60s and 70s, hangs her head whilst Miss Clara buffets Capaldi with “you big old grey stick insect”. There’s a devil and Beltane, old Bessie and Jo escaping butt first down artfully placed ladders in search of the ‘Magister’.

Great, great stuff. Kindest, puro

thommck @thommck

@fivefaces, @pedant I’m surprised they put it on so late. I know a lot of friends with younger children who just simply won’t let their kids stay up that late. It also implies that there is something risque happening as part of the episode will be on after the 9pm watershed, thus another reason kids may be prevented from watching it.

For me, it is a bit late, it is one of the few things that we all sit around the telly for after a treat Saturday night takeaway. One of the downsides of “catch-up” TV is that the family tends to do it on their own terms, rather than all together. Also, we like to have our boys shipped off by 9pm so we can get the wine out!

I can see the headlines now – “The BBC is destroying family life“, “Record Ratings Slump for Doctor Who

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@thommck – I don’t think ‘risque’ – but I do think that there may be some plot points coming up where the Beeb would prefer parents of smaller children to have advance knowledge.

@blenkinsopthebrave – nice to have you back. At least it was the right cellar! 😉

toinfinityandbepond @toinfinityandbepond

Is it not that there is some god awful “talent” show with a live vote in the earlier slot, with a result show afterwards?

janetteB @janetteb

@purofilion

There’s a devil and Beltane,

That confused me at first. Our cat is called Beltane. 😉

@thommck

Also, we like to have our boys shipped off by 9pm so we can get the wine out!

Very sensible.

As we get Dr Who a day late we choose when we watch it, which is usually when dinner is cooked. I always hated having someone else dictate my tv viewing to me. When the boys were little we started to record everything so we could fast forward through the “bad bits”. Because we tend to re-watch favourites they got to know when to fast forward and were happy to do so. Whenever they did watch TV direct they would wonder why rewrite and fast forward didn’t work.

Cheers

Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 551 through 600 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.