On The Sofa (5)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (5)

This topic contains 998 replies, has 140 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 999 total)
  • Author
    chickenelly @chickenelly

Hello all!

Turning up like @timeloop just in time for the new series (been lurking for a bit as I’ve been a bit busy).

I’ve got my cinema ticket for Saturday (although I’m not sure how busy the cinema will be, when I booked this week, the seat allocation diagram was looking mighty sparse) and even forced myself to watch the One Show for Capaldi.

Pah!  Those of you who are watching will know what I mean, but Alex Jones is an awful interviewer.  Why ask that?

wolfweed @wolfweed

Welcome back, @chickenelly

As for the One Show – Who vets these questions? No one apparently.

Nice to see Capaldi totally unimpressed by Matt Baker’s behind the sofa antics…

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Welcome back @chickenelly. How’s the Scottish granny?

You have to compare the pre-bookings for Who with the pre-bookings for other showings. My local is about half full – which certainly doesn’t compare with the 50th Anniversary. But when you look at other screenings on Saturday night, it’s positively packed.

wolfweed @wolfweed

It’s a bit quiet but that’s the TARDIS in this ident…

Warning: This one contains images from the series trailer (& that question)…

chickenelly @chickenelly

Hello @wolfweed & @bluesqueakpip, thanks for the welcome back.   My Scottish granny is fine but was getting worried about booking a cinema ticket for the Sky lounge of the O2. Those that saw the 50th anniversary special there can appreciate how large that room is.  Hopefully it will fill up a bit come Saturday as we are hoping for a bit of atmosphere.

On a completely different note, the Grauniad seem to be tampering with the comments layout again – just in time for Saturday!

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sorry-
    This is the last one from the tour.
    Warning: Contains just a few images from series 8

Timeloop @timeloop

Thanks @craig =)

Yeah I kept an eye on the forum just like @chickenelly (welcome back ;D), being more of a lurker now and then. I tried to log in once, the forum wouldn’t let me so I’m glad it worked out now.

@wolfweed and other informants have done a great job collecting everything that concerns Doctor Who, this site is a great archive. That’s how I got wind of the huge leak, a week too late though, when I went hunting for it the BBC has made sure that all the links were dead (all but torrents, which I do not touch) – I would have loved a peak at a script or an unfinished cut just to see the work that will go into it before it is officially released. How come the BBC can’t manage to keep it together though? This happens way too often in my opinion. By now they should have learned from their mistakes.

Cool that you get to see it in cinema @chickenelly , I will watch the stream this time and hope that everything doesn’t collapse under the traffic that I expect to be there. Also, I just finished watching the One Show and know what you mean. All in all both of them don’t seem very into it, do they?

It will be shown in 26 cities in Germany, some of them have several screenings, so the original ones must be sold out. Even though I will watch it at home I am still excited that it is a simulcast again <3!

I am also very much looking forward to all the new clues since Moffat had made sure we start with a clean slate. How will the Doctor be able to leave Christmas now? Technically nothing has changed, he has only gotten younger again – There will be new attacks on Christmas, won’t there? Are they saying everyone in the universe who wanted to harm Trenzalore was killed by the Doctor by now, the oncoming storm?

Other than that I am sure the Doctor will have more of a childish delight when he sees new places, since he spend hundreds of years in the same place.

I am sure more of us will resurface to discuss the new episodes 😉

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Yay @chickenelly I look forward to your array of outfits over the next few months!

@timeloop

How will the Doctor be able to leave Christmas now?

I suspect it’s going to be as simple as the Timelords saying ‘Sod this for a game of soldiers, we’re off to find another crack’.

wolfweed @wolfweed

TV Guide (U.S.) has some potentially big RUINERS. Watch out, folks. I just saw them by accident.

z

Pass the Memory Worm…

Anonymous @

Hello again Everybody!

The long wait is finally over. 8 months ago I thought I would never be able to wait it out. But now I am grateful to the producers for the time off. I honestly wouldn’t have been able to give Capaldi a fair chance after Christmas, no matter how much I wanted to. But now I am 100% ready for the new Doctor and to talk about the new episodes with friendly Whovians while they happen for first time.

Go Doctor Who Forum!

Anonymous @

hooray @barnable you’re baaack. Looking forward to your astute and creative conclusions/opinions -is that a different avatar?

Yes, I too was in sadland after the goodbyes for Number 11; it was all ashes and sackcloth in the Ilion house -well, actually just me  (though boy Ilion had a tear but wouldn’t own it!)

Kindest, purofilion

Anonymous @

Good to see some of the old, much-missed faces resurfacing. Welcome back, all!

Now, where on earth is @scaryb?

@jimthefish

@scaryb is hopefully being very busy at the Edinburgh Festival, which is running until the 25th August.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Note: This video contains 1 or 2 things some might consider spoilers but nothing that’s not already been revealed on the official website.

Peter Davison is on a quest to discover what makes the ultimate Time Lord. The Fifth Doctor meets the talented people who have helped create the show both past, present and future, and asks “Who is the Doctor? What will make the Twelfth Doctor unique?”

Timeloop @timeloop

@bluesqueakpip I would hate if they would take the easy way out. What a letdown that would be. And it is supposed to be the only thing that remained from the TARDIS exploding. Moffat can do better than this.

I AM getting positively EXCITED though! FINALLY new input in the Whoniverse. And hopefully the explanation how Capaldi could have played different roles in Doctor Who.

How are you spending the last few hours dear forum? @craig, @bluesqueakpip, @jimthefish, @wolfweed, @barnable, @purofilion, @scaryb (if you have the time), @chickenelly, @janetteb, @arbutus, @thekrynoidman, @fatmaninabox, @whisht and basically @ all 1493 members in this forum.

janetteB @janetteb

@timeloop nice to have you back. In the last few days we have rewatched the last few stories. tomorrow we shop, as usual, go to the pub and then maybe watch some more BG Who over dinner tomorrow night. On Sunday, when we get to see the new episode in Oz, the two elder boys have leave until 4.00pm by which time I hope the chips will be hot, the souffles cooked and the fishfingers and fake fishfingers and custard on the table and awaiting consumption as we watch Deep Breath. I expect I will spend most of Sunday making souffle and fake fish fingers. (I will not be getting up at 4.00 am Sunday morning to watch the first broadcast)

Cheers

Janette

Arbutus @arbutus

@timeloop    As a Who fan in a non-Who household, my celebration is largely an inner one. I am a bit in awe of @janetteb and all the others who plan Doctor Who menus and other festivities. However, I too have rewatched the last few Matt episodes recently, and have spent more time on this forum than I have all summer! Here in Canada, my viewing method of choice is an iTunes subscription, which will download to my account at midnight on Saturday. So I will avoid any DW-related internet on Saturday, as the UK is eight hours ahead of me here on the west coast and most of you will have reached nirvana that much earlier than I will.  🙂  I will spend today and tomorrow plotting how to sneak in a first viewing early Sunday morning without offending my visiting mother-in-law. I will then be all smiles (I’m sure) for the rest of the day and jumping onto the forum Monday morning to celebrate (if I can’t sneak on sooner!).

I hope that none of us are disappointed, and all of us are delighted!

wolfweed @wolfweed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/28882993
    Doctor Who: Will there ever be a female Doctor?

@timeloop

Polishing my sonic for the cinema tomorrow…
    z

As for Trenzalore, The Crack was offski, so the planet was a threat no longer and should have been safe thereafter…

What I want to know about The Crack is: Did it close or was it moved…and why did the Time Lords choose to do it?

Were they really being kind?

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Field

Anonymous @

@timeloop – (waves hello) I tried but failed to get tickets for a screening in Brum but I’ll be doing the next best thing, curl up on the sofa with some nibbles and a couple of bottles of Hoegaarden ( that’s beer for anyone who’s wondering).

Tomorrow’s going to pretty hectic for me. I’ll try to pay a visit to the forum if I get chance but just in case I can’t – I hope you all, wherever you view it, have a great day.

Cheers everybody 🙂

Anonymous @

@bluesqueakpip — of course she is. mea culpa

As am I, actually….

ABXY @abxy

Hello everyone! I’m back from… Somewhere! I’m hyped for the new series, but I wish I had more people excited about it in ‘real life’! Got my jelly babies ready though! ;D

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@timeloop Regarding leaving Christmas, the 12th Doctor’s first words were, after the kidneys thing:

We’re probably crashing.
    Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

So I’d always assumed they’d left Christmas already.

Pufferfish @pufferfish

Hello, all. Happy to be back in the land of theories even more insane than what’s actually happening. Although I stumbled on possible future episode ‘The Attack Of The Giant Figs’, I probably won’t be taking this to the Speculation section…

Arbutus @arbutus

@pufferfish     This should really be a crazy caption. Something like, “New mouth, new rules! Clara, can you whip up a fig soufflé?”

@timeloop – I’m going to watch Deep Breath in the cinema. Today I’ve been updating my blog on Loncon3 (World Science Fiction Convention).

In the best tradition of ‘What I did on my holidays’, I’ve added some pictures and details of Days Three, Four and Five. @wolfweed – some of the pictures may be candidates for Crazy Captions. 😉 Feel free.

Anonymous @

@timeloop — I’ve been mainly working and lurking around the Edinburgh Book Festival.

Tomorrow I will be both celebrating Mrs Fish’s burfday and then settling down to watch Deep Breath with a fine vintage and some well-matured cheese  (a la Third Doctor) and maybe some Sontaran-shaped cookies if I have the time….

It’s been a long wait but it’s been worth it. Couldn’t be more squeeful if  I tried now….

Anonymous @

@arbutus oh no! The mother-in-law visit.

@timeloop    OK. So, it’s raining in Brisbane first time in 7 months or something, so soccer is cancelled. Boy Iliion wants to buy a PS4 or whatever it is, I say “no”, he starts whining so, not a weekend for real planning/fun.

I have to mark papers and then analyse about 10 000 words in the next 8 hours. Tomorrow the big night: marshmallows and jelly babies and tea. Ah, yes, custard and also fish (fingers) for dinner but not in that order. I am absolutely stoked but no, I am the only one.

Until then, there is housework. I’ll probably flop down at exactly 7.30 and …sigh….(I’ll have the scarf as it’s turned cold)

Kindest, puro

Anonymous @

@wolfweed  I must add thank you for that video with Peter Davison -I loved the interviews. Murray Gold looks rather buff these days . He used to be quite a ‘small’ man but those muscles…must be working hard at the gym.

Anonymous @

Thank you @purofilion for the enthusiastic welcome back, you haven’t slowed down a bit during the break. Your wide ranges of interests have made you many new friends. Eleven will be missed but I have watched him regenerate 30 times by now and am definitely ready to move on now. The commercials for the new season look amazing and from the short flashes of Capaldi as Doctor Twelve I’ve seen, it looks to me, he has nailed it.

@Timeloop I plan on watching the Name, Day, and Time of the Doctor before the season premier, but nothing special planned. My brother bought a ticket for the cinema re-showing on Monday that I am excited to see. I have never watched it on the big screen before or gone to an event where everyone is a Whovian. There is no way I’m waiting until Monday to watch it though. I thought about dressing up to fit in, but then I chickened out when I saw that my clothes made me look nothing like Doctor Who. I am seriously considering shaving my head and painting my face blue like @fatmaninabox. 😆

For anyone interested in watching BG Doctor Who. I discovered that BG episodes are showing on television for people living in the U.S. on a station called RetroTV. They are just starting Series 2 now. They were just finishing Series 1 when I found them. It is a struggle for me compared to watching AG Who, but I thought the 3 part Land of Giants episodes were great.

VashtaNerada @vashtanerada

Hello! I’m new here… don’t really have a clue what’s going on, didn’t find an introduction page and thought I’d pop in here instead! I’ve watched all of series 1-7, and some old ones such as the caves of androzani so I like to think I know at least a bit about Doctor who, so hello!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Morning all, and Happy Who Day. I’ll echo that it’s good to see the clan gathering for a new series. I also can’t wait for the further sartorial elegance of the @chickenelly avatar.

I can’t believe I’m working tonight, in the middle of bloody nowhere. I won’t even be able to pop a small party popper at the appropriate time because I’d be in danger of scaring the small, furry and, above all, endangered animals I’m supposed to be monitoring and tracking. Bah! My party will be tomorrow morning whenever I stagger out of my pit. I shall join in the conversation then after enjoying the show in bliss. Does cheap red plonk sit well when you’ve just got up?

What’s worse is that this stupid arrangement is to be repeated for a least the next four weeks. I have a feeling that the frustration levels will mean that the small furry animals may become even more endangered as time goes on because I may resort to random target practice to reduce my teeth-gnashing.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@vashtanerada

Welcome, and make yourself at home. If you want to see what people are talking about click on the activity bar in the menu just below our spiffy logo.

The Home Page gives a list of some of the more current topics and it will be augmented later when Craig sets a discussion forum for the new episode.

Anonymous @

@jimthefish happy birthday to Mrs Fish!

@vashtanerada welcome to you -with an awesome name for a devilish Doctor enemy.

@phaseshift    indeed, this is bollocks for you! And for the next three weeks n’all?  I am in awe of your patience.

For me it’s one more sleep. Found that bro Ilion is making a trek up from Sydney and may arrive tomorrow night. I said, please please  make it the afternoon, the evening….Not 7.30 pm, though!

Kindest to all: enjoy the Miracle that is The Doctor!

purofilion

wolfweed @wolfweed
    janetteB @janetteb

Happy Who Day all.

@phaseshift Surely endangered species can be cultivated to enjoy Dr Who too. @Purofilion I hope that bro Ilion does not interrupt viewing. @vashtanerada I hope you have Jelly Babies at the ready!! (I am certain that the Vashta Nerada would love jelly babies) @barnable I hope you enjoy the screening. I went last year and the atmosphere was electrifying. The cinema was packed with fans of all ages, and there were many scarves, bow ties and fez(es?) to be seen.

I won’t be about tomorrow until late afternoon, (our time) but looking forward to joining in the discussion then.

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@janetteb

Happy Who Day indeed 🙂

I’ll be with you and @Purofilion and other other-side-of-the-worlders, in enforced timeshifting tonight. Despite the fact that BBC are doing an OB of Deep Breath in their Festival tent tonight. But I could only watch the second half of it – how tantalising is that! I may have to wander round with blinkers and earplugs in till I can catch up!

iplayer had better be doing its stuff properly, that’s all I’m saying

ScaryB @scaryb

@craig @wolfweed @blenkinsopthebrave @juniperfish @fatmaninabox @arbutus @pufferfish @timeloop @chickenelly @whisht @arkleseizure and all the forum members, veterans and newbies alike.

Just a flying-in visit to wish everyone a  Happy Who Day

@jimthefish @bluesqueakpip Thanks for missing me! And yes, been doing that cultural overdose thing in Embra. Finishes this weekend – just as well for my liver!

@phaseshift Deep commiserations. I posted a wee thing on the music thread which will hopefully make you smile. (Wee furry things are OK, it’s the big ones you need to watch out for – especially the robotic ones)

Deep Breath everyone – let the bonkers theorising begin!

😆

theTartanArtisan @thetartanartisan

Hi, I’m a newbie to the forum! I thought I’d let you guy’s see my tribute to Dr Who and the the 12th Doctor …in Tartan! What do you think? Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/theTartanArtisan/photos/a.414793091903470.93995.346902008692579/721764801206296/?type=1&relevant_count=1

Arbutus @arbutus

Happy Who Day, everyone! I will shortly be going on DW media blackout until tomorrow morning when the TARDIS will land at my house. Whenever and wherever you are watching, enjoy! See you in the new era.  🙂

Anonymous @

@thetartanartisan – I’ve corrected the link in your post as it wasn’t showing.

Very nice piece of Tartan – I wouldn’t mind a kilt made from it.

theTartanArtisan @thetartanartisan

I wanted to let you see my tribute to Dr Who …in tartan!

Dr Who
    The Unofficial 50th Anniversary Tartan
    CELEBRATING THE RETURN OF THE 12th DOCTOR!

The tartan was designed to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Dr Who, the first episode being aired on Saturday 23rd November 1963, at 5.15pm.

The British television science-fiction series, was produced and screened by the British Broadcasting Corporation on their BBC 1 channel from 1963 to 1989. After a 16 year absence from the BBC, the series was then relaunched becoming an instant success, with over 10 million viewers watching the first episode.

The tartan celebrates 50 years of the television series, with over 800 episodes having been produced, and also recognises Dr Who as having moved from cult status into one of the biggest TV shows in the world. The tartan not only compliments the original K9 tartan, (registered in 1977, as interpreted from the tartan collar worn by the 4th Doctor’s robot canine companion), but also acknowledges the show’s rich Scottish heritage and influences.

The 50th anniversary special of the science-fiction TV series was aired on BBC One on 23 November 2013. Written by Scottish born Steven Moffat (one of the most celebrated television writers in the UK), who also serves as executive producer alongside Faith Penhale. The 2013 Christmas special featured the 11th regeneration whereupon the role of the Twelfth Doctor was initiated, played by 55 year old Glaswegian actor Peter Capaldi.

The tartan is also a tribute to the character Jamie McCrimmon (played by Frazer Hines), the kilted Scotsman who was the the Doctor’s longest running companion from 1966 to 1969.

Celebrating the return of the 12th doctor!
    Sat 23nd august, 7.50pm, BBC 1

. . . . . . . . . . . .

The Design:

The tartan was designed to represent the most iconic and constant feature of the Dr Who TV series, the Tardis (Time and Relative Dimension in Space). The de-saturated blues of the Doctor’s time machine being complimented by the exotic gold and red colours of Gallifrey, the home world of the Doctor and the Time Lords.

The geometry and colours of the tartan:

First pivot:
    White and black together represent time; white – the big bang, and beginning of the universe; black – the end of time, when the “stars go out”. The white and black geometry in the tartan forms an impression of the windows from the Tardis. Black and white also recognises the origins of the TV series, being aired in black and white, in the 1960’s.

Black:
    The solid black in the tartan recognises the ongoing fight the Doctor has against his many villains and dark forces.

White:
    The three prominent white lines celebrate the three recognised creators of the Dr Who series; Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber and Scottish born Donald Wilson. Also adding up to 9, the three white lines (3 lines of 3 threads) act as a tribute to the robot canine companion, K9.

Blue:
    The blues in the tartan, in two shades, from a representation of the Tardis, the panelled exterior of the police box. Also being iconic as the doors giving entry into the Time Lord’s spacecraft. The tartan is designed with blue ‘panels’ of 50 threads to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the TV show.

Second pivot:
    Yellow, white and red creates the exotic colour pallet of Gallifrey, the Time Lords home world, orbiting a binary red star system. The Doctor called his home planet the “Shining World of the Seventh System”. Bathed in a golden orange sky, there are “vast mountain ranges, with fields of deep red grass, capped with snow. Gallifrey’s second sun would rise in the south and the mountains would shine, with the silver leafed trees looking like a forest on fire”.

The tartan’s second pivot significantly is created with 12 yellow threads to represent the 12 Doctors, yellow also being the colour of regeneration.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

The tartan’s geometry displays a graduating transition between its two main blue and red elements, the Tardis and Gallifery, this representing the Time Machine’s materialisation between space and time.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Sadly, the BBC politely declined to endorse the tartan. So it can only be an unofficial tributary tartan. Never to be woven or commercialised. I thought you should see it, before the 12th arrives!

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Have a good one!
    Cheers!!
    Steve

http://www.facebook.com/theTartanArtisan

http://on.fb.me/1p1K13g

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="498"]Dr Who 50th Anniversary tribute tartan. Celebrating the return of the 12th Doctor![/caption]

http://www.thetartanartisan.com/assets/DrWhoTartan.jpg

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    Capaldi Intensifies. by JeanKoenig

z
    (passing the torch) by Far from all over

Miapatrick @miapatrick

happy Who day everybody! so close!

@arbutus I thought of you this morning, at a quarter past eight when my mother in law and her husband arrived. Someone forgot to tell me…  more awkward because we sleep in the living room. This is the woman who piped up with ‘I didn’t know doctor who was stupid’ during the Christmas special. But I came back from the Manchester Pride Parade and she’d fed the (five) dogs, so I’ll probably let her live.

This means I’m most likely live-watching tonight from my laptop. Got a nice bottle of wine, steamed dim sum for dinner. And I’m 78% certain I paid the last BT bill, so moderately confident for tonight.

Whisht @whisht

Hi @ all – really great to see some names I recognise and really really great to see new names!
    Welcome!! New people – new bonkers!

Sorry to hear that some of you have distractions getting in the way (small furry family members at festivals, seems to be the theme).
    I merely have a distraction before watching in the shape of a footy match (no – obviously watching not playing!).

This will keep me from getting too fidgety (hm actually its getting me very fidgety as I have a bad feeling about this one in terms of my team – at least I can try and memory-wipe if it all goes wrong, with an infusion of Capaldi!)

see y’all on the other side/ tomorrow!

wolfweed @wolfweed

@All

Enjoy the episode, wherever and whenever you watch…

I’m off to get ready…
    z

Timeloop @timeloop

I am glad so many of you told us where you will be and how you are going to enojoy the new episode! I will be thinking of you when I watch it here at home in front of my computer with the stream crashing every 5 seconds (like @miapatrick, but with more crashes i presume)!

I am still very excited, last (few) hour(s) to get behind me. I hope all of you have a spendid time and I am really looking very much forward to all your new theories!

May the season begin! I hope most of us will like it!

@wolfweed that eye-picture reminds me of a spider somehow…. and it’s a bit scary… probably because of the spider thing.

@craig, yeah, you are right. And I guess he could always come back to exact that time once he found a solution, but 11 could have done that too….

Anonymous @

@thetartanartisan

I’m sure you could get it woven as long as you don’t reference Doctor Who in the name or description which, I suppose, would defeat the purpose of it.

Really is a shame as I think it’s a brilliant design/concept. 🙁

Anonymous @

@all happy Who day to you @scaryb you’ve changed your avatar somewhat. I don’t like it. Sorry, just kidding.  Just doin’ a Number 10 .

Apparently, it’s shown in Oz early this morning, so now I am on Blackout until 7.30pm. It is on i-something  but no! I shall resist. Love to you all.

puro.

Magnetite @magnetite

Thought I’d better say a ‘hello’ on here as it’s been a while!

I hummed and hawed about going to the pictures this time as I’d had a good time for the 50th in a packed house and spent the night in the Travelodge next door (I live in a small town with no cinema). When I first looked at booking I was pleased that Vue was using a bigger auditorium but then I saw there weren’t many people going. When I saw that the Travelodge was charging over £80 for a night (£29 in November!), I nearly didn’t go, but then decided to rent a car for the weekend (£60) as it’s only the second time in nearly 51 years that I’ve been able to watch the programme on a large screen.

There were probably about 100 of us – about 1/4 full – ranging from small children to those of us in their mid-50s and I’d say that the reaction was very positive. Sadly I didn’t see anyone in costume this time round, but I’m sure Crombies will be selling pretty fast before too long!

Looking forward to some more insane theorising!

Viewing 50 posts - 401 through 450 (of 999 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (5)’ is closed to new replies.