On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 944 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by  Mudlark 4 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 945 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

@seeoswald

Can ANYONE explain…

Sure.  Make reasoned arguments, avoid unruly emotion, and people will respond similarly.

Make unreasoned arguments, with unruly emotion, and people will respond similarly.

Anonymous @

@seeoswald – Let me add that no one here is going to claim you don’t get to have an opinion, or that it has to match ours.  But you do have to contribute to the discussion here (we keep telling you) if you don’t want people to give you a hard time.

Go back and look at my first response to you, or others’.  We’re a friendly site, but you can’t barge in and try to derail the tone that everyone here has worked hard to maintain.

Bluffme @bluffme

Well I’m new here and to forums in general. I guess I’m probably in the minority in this thought but I was very disappointed with the new doctor and whole season. I felt like I was watching a remake of Highway to Heaven. Really going to miss Steven Moffet.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

Seconded @kevinwho. Well said.

Welcome, @bluffme. 🙂

Anonymous @

@bluffme – You’re not the only one disappointed, and if you look around some here you’ll see others expressing various levels of dismay (including me).

At the same time, it’s still Doctor Who, it will always change, and so I at least try not to dwell too much on what I’m missing, and instead remember what I’m getting.  I don’t want to spoil the joy of those welcoming the changes this season has brought.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

@pedant I suspect your keyboard has a delete key and so I deduce that Finger The @cumquat is precisely as obscene as you intended. 🙂

Sounds like a good game, let’s play.

*dons Poirot moustache* ‘Ello mah leetuhl Ehngleesh chuhms…

No hang on, that’s Eurotrash.

I have a couple of suspects in mind, but how do we know the culprit would come clean when fin… sorry Eurotrash again. I mean own up when identified?

Bluffme @bluffme

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, it’s still Doctor Who and I will watch. I just hope the next season gets better. I have no problem at all with a female doctor I just don’t see J.W. changing enough to make me believe she is the doctor. But anyone following P.C. was going to have a ruff go at it. One can only hope for “more” next year.

@cumquat

Would you like a jelly baby?

@bluffme

See, to me she is absolutely The Doctor. While I was critical of the editing and dialogue in the early episodes, it also conspicuously tightened up as the season progressed (I’d be fascinated to see the production schedule). Bradley Walsh (who, personally, I was never sniffy about because I had seen his work in Law & Order UK) has been a revelation, whike Cole and Gil are hugely relatable.

Others have felt differently as you can see in the episode discussions.

But there are also a couple of brutal truths we all need to grasp.

Even in this place at least one member has passed away and many of us go back to the very beginning (I remember some Hartnell, but Troughton is “my” Doctor). We ain’t getting younger and the BBC absolutely has to cultivate a new audience for one of its most valuable assets. While I never, for one second, bought into the “too complex for the kidz” meme that was applied to Moffat, in the end, I’d be willing to bet that some of the clunkier exposition was imposed from higher up than Chibnall and that may well be a cost of doing business for the time being.

But it is Doctor Who, and by the 19th Doctor it should be just about finding its groove.

(BTW try to make sure you tag people properly – not tagging is a symptom of…not good stuff.)

syzygy @thane16

@seeoswald

It’s called clever. And I’ve been here- regularly for about 5 yrs now, so…you know….read the posts. But you won’t.

Also you’re my age (when my son isn’t me) which makes some of what you write a little ‘weird’ for one so ‘mature.’

@pedant agreed. The show was terrific to me too  @bluffme any dismay was totally understandable but it wasn’t a majority view here -or in the ‘world in general.’

@kevinwho thank you for that. 🙂  @seeoswald has form.

Puro

syzygy @thane16

@mudlark

Thank you for all this and the diagram -I shall respond! Also, “sand is acidic.”

That’s interesting. I’ve always assumed sand is, well, sand! With a normal pH and not at all acidic. I suspect my brother the geologist would know all this.  But, sadly, he’s too grumpy for questions of that nature. It’s the rocks that done it.

@cumquat

This is magnificent. You must know we’re ALL trying to figure out who you really are, right? Craig won’t ever tell (obviously). This is the part we’re I’d say “we will come, like a thief in the night…” except it’s the internet. And there’s no comings and goings 🙂

Puro

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Well, ARE we? Playing the Finger the Cumquat?

*This is not a rude, sexist, harassing comment on ANY level – -before the guns come out!

Is it someone who enjoys the …..ding-ding thread?

Puro

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@pedant @thane16

If you check out all of the posts by @cumquat from over the last few years, there aren’t many (but they’re all really funny) – she comes and then goes.

Sometimes she’s just the ironic hero we need, at the right time.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@everyone – but aren’t we all, in our way, a little bit @cumquat? Or isn’t there at least, a little @cumquat inside us all?

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16

I’ve always assumed sand is, well, sand! With a normal pH and not at all acidic

I was generalising, of course, but sandy soils do tend to be acidic as well as low in fertility; the latter because they are so free draining that the nutrients get leached out.  In parts of Norfolk the soils are sandy and light from glacial deposits overlying chalk, and the traditional way of countering the ‘sourness’ and improve fertility was to add calcareous marl from local pits dug into the subsoil below the sand and gravel. Old marl pits can still be seen in some fields, though a lot of them have been filled in now.

The sandy loam in my garden is sufficiently acid in parts for acid loving shrubs such as rhododendron, azalea, camellia and Japanese Maple to flourish. Also, unfortunately, holly. There is a large holly tree in the corner of a neighbour’s garden abutting the corner of mine and I am forever pulling up holly seedlings. The neighbours on either side don’t do so and I have nightmares about ending up entirely hedged in by self-sown and untended holly. When I took over the garden I removed about six well grown hollies which had established themselves during the preceding period of neglect.

If you were nicking sand from a children’s playground I presume it was fine grained and would probably have been thoroughly washed and sterilised so possibly neutral. In any case, unless you added it in huge amounts it wouldn’t make much difference to the soil structure or the pH.. As I said, grit would be far more effective.

When my brothers and I were small my father made us a sandpit in the back garden, but the sand he used was obtained from a sand pile adjoining an old sandpit in the corner of a field opposite. It contained a lot of iron oxide, so it had a tendency to stain us and our clothes bright orange – not that this bothered us in the slightest. My mother may have had a different view of the matter.

TheDoctor @thedoctor2002

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about writing a minisode for the 13th doctor; does anyone know of a way that it could possibly be made?

winston @winston

@kevinwho  I liked your new post on the greatest or best series and I left a really good reply that disappeared!  You would have liked it,  maybe even loved it. Anyway thanks for the interesting post.

Missy @missy

@pedant; Re replacing Teresa May

What a ghastly thought!

Also, hasn’t Doctor Who always told us the same? Except from what I have heard from viewers who aren’t Whovians,

this season is a series of lectures.

Missy

Missy @missy

@bluffme

Welcome to the forum, I’ve been away for a while and cannot catch up now, but do read the posts – if they aren’t too long. *winks*

I haven’t watched any of this series, because I am against a female Doctor and I don’t like JW.

It has been said, that the show was a sort of spoof, a spin off, or a joke, because to them it isn’t Doctor Who.

However, everyone – it seems – approves of the series. so I’m in a minority.

Missy

syzygy @thane16

@missy

this season is a series of lectures.

But you haven’t actually watched it? 😉

Alas, no, it isn’t. Frankly, if it WAS a season of lectures then good: we bloody well need them. But as I said on the other thread -the Battle of…. (except it’s a long post) I never felt deceived or preached at. The villains are us: perhaps we need to allow the “better angels” on our shoulders to nudge us in the right direction. The Doctor is pretty gabby and I think more than a million people like that about her. She’s not patrician or vainglorious but one of the gang; for me it was the right time to introduce a less ‘alien’ Doctor.

Puro.

Missy @missy

@thane16

You know very well I haven’t.

On my birthday, I was given a DW purse, which I hang on my shoulder bag.

This has attracted quite a few people – some I knew some I didn’t – and was asked  if I watched it and what i thought.

I told them, asking what they thought.

All the comments are listed in my recent post, and they did watch it.

Sadly it looks as if I shall be sitting on a cloud before they employ a Male Doctor again.

My Whovians days I fear, are over.

Missy

syzygy @thane16

@missy That’s wonderful! (the purse, I mean).  I think they’re not over because (I suspect) after another 2 years they may well return to a male Doctor. Also, you chat with us -so you haven’t deserted the ship Tardis yet 🙂

syzygy @thane16

@mudlark

Calcerous marl is, as far as I can tell, a calcium component or mineral filled with…..ahem, marl.

Marl.

mmm.

I have one Camelia. I had two several years ago and, urged to save water, took the water from which I’d boiled pasta, and poured it on the plant. Killed it stone dead.

The other Camelia is doing far better now because the ‘landscaper’ is no longer around. Thus he’s not ‘carping’ the Camelia, which, if I’m right, means that it would have received the wrong type of nutrition? Or unnecessary nutrition, at least?

Puro

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16

Marl in common English usage and according to the Oxford dictionary definition is a soil consisting of clay and lime used as a fertiliser. The marl which was used in this way in parts of Norfolk is to be found as a subsoil beneath lighter sandy top soils and overlying the chalk.

If your camellia looks healthy, with dark green, glossy leaves, then it’s happy; yellowing leaves would be a sign that the soil did not suit it and it wasn’t getting the nutrients it needed.  They do best in soils on the acid side of neutral, and don’t thrive at all alkaline soils. There are things you can add to the latter to raise the acidity, but in my  experience it is a losing battle and not worth the effort. I don’t even use fertiliser on my shrubs, apart from mulching the soil occasionally with leaf mould and the camellia has grown tall and bushy and flowers profusely. If you live in a hard water area it’s also not a good idea to use tap water for watering ericaceous plants. Our water is so hard you can almost crunch it, so I have two barrels to collect and store rain water from the roofs of the garden shed and the greenhouse. But the well established shrubs, other than those in containers, rarely need watering even in dry spells – in fact it can be counter-productive in that it encourages root growth near the surface instead of at depth. If you do need to water, water copiously so that it penetrates deep into the soil.

I wrote earlier that adding lime was unnecessary unless the soil was acid, but in fact it does also help improve the structure of clay soils – just not if you want to grow ericaceous plants 🙂

The most successful approach to ornamental gardening is to stick with plants suited to the local soil and climate, and not to try and battle nature.

@miapatrick

Not all of us. I, for example, am a little bit rickroll.

Bluffme @bluffme

@missy Thanks. You have not missed a thing by not watching it. I did and each week I was hopeful for improvement. And each week i was let down all the way to a season finale that just completed the misery. I think more people than will admit feel the same but to many scared of this ridiculously stupified PC world and scared of being called a bigit or woman hater for voicing decent. I can all ready see in my mind the message reply I am going to get to this.

Bluffme @bluffme

@thane16 That is a lot of the problem, the Doctor is an 👽, not human. If I wanna watch a touchy-feely show I’ll turn on the Good Witch, not Doctor Who!

Missy @missy

@thane16

I can but hope.

Thing is, at my age 2 years is a long time – I don’t even buy green bananas nowadays! *chuckle*

I stole that from Maggie Smith.

I shall never abandon you, there are other threads on here which do not deal with this series.

@bluffme

Don’t be put off, say what you feel – I do. Just because you don’t agree with the majority, does not make you wrong – or right for that matter. *grins* As for scared of not agreeing with the main, I said that a while back. How many actually don’t care for the last series, but are afraid to admit it. In their favour however, I strongly believe that at least 95% mean what they say. Remember, you are entitled to have your say, everyone else does. *thumbs up*

Missy

@bluffme

I think <strike>more people than will admit feel the same</strike> the ratings are speaking for themselves <strike>but to many scared of this ridiculously stupified PC world</strike> and that confounds my angry entitled ravings

Fixed that for you.

ridiculously stupified PC world and scared of being called a bigit or woman hater for voicing <atrike>decent</strike> dissent. I can all ready see in my mind the message reply

Well, if sight of women or non-whites in positions of influence triggers you so much that it leads you to post such drivel, you really shouldn’t be surprised.

Trolling report:

Spelling: @cumquat would be proud.

Sliding into predictable “I’m such a victim that all the bad libs will get after me”: 9/10*. Your application for the Cumquat Academy has been passed to the relevant authorities.

* This would have been 10/10 you you failed to slip “SJW” in there.

Anonymous @

@winston – Drat that the comment got eaten, but at least you liked the post…

Missy @missy

@thane16

That’s wonderful! (the purse, I mean).  I think they’re not over because (I suspect) after another 2 years they may well return to a male Doctor. 

I meant to say that the purse is the Tardis, and I have some news. It got itself noticed again this morning by a married couple -I assume they were married, but who knows nowadays. I got the usual question and naturally gave my usual answer.

They felt the complete opposite and loved it, saying that it was the first time they’d bothered to watch the programme. “What a shame, I replied, you’ve missed all the best series and better Doctors.”  I left them with that thought. *big grin*

This post is letting you know that this bird doesn’t just post what she agrees with.

@bluffme

Seconded!

@pedant

Whoever the above person is, do you have to be so unpleasant? People don’t always  feel as you do  – live with it!

Missy

syzygy @thane16

@miapatrick @pedant

ooh, The Rick! Don’t you just love his hair?

Bowie: Well, I can’t comment on his talent. But I wish I had his hair.

rimshot 😀

Puro

Craig @craig
    Emperor

To lighten the mood – this made me laugh. Another Christmas Card to everyone.

BBC America has produced a 2 hour video of a Doctor Who-themed fireplace. Put it on repeat for all your festive needs!

syzygy @thane16

and to you, @craig. It’s beautiful.

syzygy @thane16

apologies @mudlark , I didn’t thank you for explaining marl, double digging and the nature of soils.

The double-dig method has been an epiphany for me! For many years I would notice Father plying the soil with compost/ manure turning the earth occasionally so it was rich and loamy? For want of the best expression, the soil was soft, with some grit but not  ‘packed hard.’ Digging into the ground was easy, producing blossoms by the dozen.

Not what I’ve done. I dig a hole, add water, some osmocote and then gentle lay the plant in with handfuls of potting mix (not too thick). It worked 75% of the time. Most people I know: dig hole, add plant, mush in potting mix, water.

Kerblam! Or not -in their case.

I can see I must use Father’s method:  “let it sit. Add manure. Then wait.”

Funny, under a lilly pilly which I’ve hedged into a sphere, there was good soil. I planted ferns and never tended to them. That was 12 years ago!

I must adapt ‘back’ because the soil (after considerable water) in other areas is grey – almost that of concrete? Hard as nails. Lacks that rich- scented earthy smell. Beneath ‘the spit’ (which you explained)  I’ve stayed away. Originally, I found not only massive boulders but like you, concrete items from builders who hid them, merrily turfing on top.

Good news. One of the hedged lavenders is re-shooting: the majority of the plant still flowering actually shades the new shoots during hot weather (tonight our min temp is 28 Cel) so with a bit of moisture I won’t need to rip it out.

Cross-fingers.

Mudlark @mudlark

@thane16 (puro)

Delighted that the information was useful. I was a bit worried that the information might be more than you wanted.

‘Loam’ is the right term for the soil you describe in your father’s garden and is the ideal to aim for, but achieving that does need a lot of preparatory work unless you are lucky enough to have a garden where someone has already done it and the soil just needs topping up with an occasional application of organic material and fertiliser. Once you have achieved that ideal, gardening becomes a lot easier and more rewarding. I was lucky in that respect, but double digging to revive the soil after a period of neglect was still worth the effort.

The problem with planting in holes dug into an otherwise uncultivated or minimally cultivated clay soil is that the root growth may be restricted, which will inhibit plant growth, and in wet conditions drainage will be inhibited and the plant become waterlogged, which could be fatal.

I had to look up lilly pilly. Sadly, because it looks like an attractive shrub, it wouldn’t survive in cold conditions and could only be grown here in a hot house or conservatory.

Now I must get back to my Christmas correspondence which is way behind schedule. Overseas letters and cards are done and ready to be posted tomorrow, but there is a lot to do still.

winston @winston

@craig     Thanks for that. We have a real fireplace (wood stove) that we heat with and cook on but it is not as timey-wimey as this one. I like the crackling. I also want to make a Tardis paper chain now.

syzygy @thane16

@mudlark

Oh, no, keep it coming!

The water logged plants could well explain the new lavender right next to the old (but getting better) one. I have a sprinkler which drips slowly overnight. Still, at about 6 pm, I checked the depth of soil 2 inches down and it seemed bone dry. And yet…it’s starting to go a bit “yellow” -which is either water logged or too hot! No-one knows which. Honestly, I would have to locate a real gardener in Brisbane to inform me, no doubt checking the pH.

I mentioned my s0-called horticulturist (an ‘elite’ mowing man) was attempting to charge $156 an HOUR. Sod that (pun intended) and yet is responsible for the irresponsible hedging and other misdemeanours. I notice that of the six homes in the area he aint mowing a single one. Possibly, he’s switched angles, the weed. 😉

Christmas cards. It’s been a few years!  Ahem. Must, must do better. In fact, I have time. I baked. I cleaned, with Thane’s help, every bookshelf and kitchen cupboard. Feeling well must be like this a lot of the time. It’s quite unexpected and is the best gift.  Better even, say, than the Doctor herself 🙂

@winston you’re in British Columbia, too? I was looking around ‘bing’ with some gorgeous scenery. One photo displayed pool floats, tanned women, hats in hand, best-bikinis and on water SO clear you could see every stone below. In the distance were snow-capped mountains. This was high Summer, I expect? The water probably 10 degrees Celsius. Ouch.

Still, I want to live there. Sans bikini. Some of us are too old for that malarkey 🙂   Puro-planting.

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@thane16 @winston

I skipped through it and there are a lot of little treats in that fireplace video. The Doctor appears in the snow globe. Then she appears on the hill outside the window. There are custard creams on the table. Giant spiders crawl outside the window. And then the Doctor turns up and warms herself by the fire (at around 1hr 38mins).

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So the Doctor (well, Stacey Dooley – who is almost a real-life version of the Doctor) won this year’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ (or ‘Dancing With The Stars’ as it’s called in the US).’

Big congrats to her.

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

A short piece t’other place with an extract from an Observer article from December 1966, on the place of the Daleks in Who. Some great photos from behind the scenes of “The Power of the Daleks”.

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/2018/dec/15/observer-archive-the-daleks-18-december-1966

winston @winston

@thane16   I don’t live in B.C. but I wish I did. I live in Ontario and we are usually blanketed in snow and freezing through the winter months. My daughter lives on Vancouver Island on the west coast and her weather is rainy but much warmer in the winter. It is a rain forest with giant ,huge trees that cars could drive through. Meanwhile it snows yet again where I am but I get to make snowmen.

syzygy @thane16

@craig That’s awesome!! I have this odd feeeeling. Timey-whimey: I can imagine the original writers and producers watching something like this and between them, saying “uh? That’s OUR Tardis.” That’s a ….a …cyberman….dancing the tango?”

Like a channel blip for CAL in that Library.

@winston I’m sorry. Yes I recall now, Ontario!  Snowmen, Ah, a Doctor-Who link…..

@blenkinsopthebrave Thank you for that.

Puro.

winston @winston

@thane16  I just watched the Snowmen and decided that next time I have good snow ( lots of snow and temps. about 2 or 3C ) I am going to make a few evil snowmen to scare my granddaughters. Don’t worry, at 14 and 10 years old they are not easily scared and the youngest is a fan so she will love it. Last year I had snowmen with protest signs calling for an end to global warning and the year before they were drinking Tim Hortons coffee like good Canadian snowmen should. The trick with the Who snowmen will be the creepy grin and the teeth. I hope I don’t scare myself.

winston @winston

@craig  The more I watch that fireplace the more I love it. Next year…. Doctor Who themed Christmas at my house. My search for Tardis blue ornaments and shiny things begins now. It is too late this year but next year it will be a blue Who Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration and for giving me a Who themed activity for those long Who-less months.

Missy @missy

@winston

I watched that the other night, such fun although sad.

My young friend – well she is half my age with a family – did the Christmas visit yesterday. She brought up the 13th series of which she has only be able to watch 3 episodes – not for reasons you may think but lack of time. Like me she wasn’t looking forward to a female Doctor, but unlike me, she watched out of curiosity.

So far, she said, it wasn’t bad, certainly not awful and as a Science fiction series which bungs in a Tardis now and then, it’s fine, just not Doctor Who.  So, there you go.

Missy

Missy @missy

All.

Out of curiosity, how many episodes did Rachel Talahay direct?

Friends I have asked noticed who wrote the episodes, but not who directed them.

Chris Chibnall wrote 7 out of 11 of them, I do know that. Russell T. Davis used to hog it too, unlike Steven Moffat he gave others a chance. There again, RTD was a good writer.

Missy

nerys @nerys

@missy According to IMDb, Rachel Talahay directed seven Doctor Who episodes: Dark Water, Death in Heaven, Heaven Sent, Hell Bent, World Enough and Time, The Doctor Falls and Twice Upon a Time.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 945 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.