On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 1,124 replies, has 73 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,125 total)
  • Author

So back in the day Google Street View went and maps the WHOLE of the old BBC Television centre, before it closed down.

Go to the 5th floor and there is a lovely little Who related easter egg (look for the film crew only sign and peek into the offices)….

Clicky

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

Do I get credit for finding the Little Shop?

I got lost. I was in the ceiling for awhile and, later, I became a floor puddle.

Every time I clicked near the two or three people standing near  the Lift area (to the left of where everyone else is grouped watching telly/etc) they disappeared. Completely vanished!

Happily it did my head in 🙂

Puro-a-buzz.

@thane15

If you go to the 5th floor, you will see signs saying “film crew only”. Work from there…

syzygy @thane16

@pedant

hi Puro here -brute force prevented an earlier response.

I will go to the fth  ta.

While at it, I’m at 20 odd mins into ep 1 of 13R and notice Jessica’s comment “I’m already in Hell…”whilst sucking a red lolly pop. Buffy memories. Actually, too close for coincidence.  But prob confirmation bias.

I’ll head to the msg page: if I can get there

janetteB @janetteb

Hi Puro, (@thane16) It is good to hear from you. I hope all is going well with you and with Thane. I’m guessing he is doing yr 11 now. Hope he is enjoying it. Not sure my recalcitrant is.

It has been so quiet around here of late. We are all going into Dr Who withdrawal I think. Here we have been trying to get by watching though old AG Who. Tonight we finish series 5. It surprised us both how long it is since Matt since leapt out of the Tardis, all wide eyed and floppy haired.

I also realise just how much I am going to miss Moffat’s richly layered writing. Interestingly I suspect my S/O might prefer the more factual style of Chibnell. And all of winter stretches interminably between us and the next series. Even a S.A. winter is too long in such circumstances.

Cheers
    Janette

Aaaagghhhh totally failed to tag your properly above @thane16

winston @winston

@janetteb  I am also suffering through this dry time. My withdrawal symptoms include making up my own compilations like all the dalek episodes or all of River Song’s episodes etc. I also made a Tardis shaped shelf , painted it Tardis blue and placed my Who “stuff” on it. Next project is a Tardis for my garden with a solar lantern for the roof and one inside so it glows at night. That is the plan anyway.

Is a Tardis in my garden tacky?  No way!

@thane16  Hi there Puro!

syzygy @thane16

@pedant -I’m replying to you whilst Thane is cooking dinner.

If we reply you know no-one’s food is poisoned.  No worries with the taggin’.

@winston  thank you -and how are you doin’?

My laptop is being “checked over”and I’m borrowing one but unfortunately it won’t let me access facebook which is how, sometimes, I communicate.  Also, rather foolishly I can’t access my emails which would have let me know a msg came thru from you. Is the weather “gorgeously warm”? Our Brisbane winter has temps of a balmy 24 degrees C and nights at 17 degrees C.  People are still wandering around in thongs (the shoes) and shorts here. The Tardis shelf sounds quite the project. I do love that blue colour. Our house is almost that colour -just 1/3 of it but I quite liked it all those years ago. And I still re-paint it in that hue.

I love lights!! In  your garden that would be something. FAR from tacky!   I can imagine the welcoming glow. Beware of the occasional gent or lady deciding to enter…..I say this as I opened the garage last night and out came a large 4 legged creature! I yelled thinking a) cat b) possum but it was a beautiful and frightened dog. I had to chase down the owner.

I was planning on making my own stream (the house sits geologically on a stream bed so kilos of rocks are to be found each week) but it takes time and I don’t want to waste too much  water.

@janetteb  Yes, he is! Correctamundo. He’s doing well but the endless assignments are tiring as am I listening to his introductions, paragraphs, general thoughts…..;)  You have a recalcitrant son as well? It’s contagious.

Yes the SA Winter is an indecent length from memory.  I’ll never forget the hue (great word) of Moffat’s opening ep with Matt Smith. The warm glow of Amy’s home, the upside down Tardis, the kitchen with its gas stove filled with “fried things” and a fridge with custard. They should market a Dr Who custard.

We saw quite a bit of old Who during Christmas (shown in part on catch up telly). I really enjoyed the old Who @craig showed here too. And Thane, who did find it slow, initially, is growing up and appreciating the dialogue, its articulation and the very ‘before their time’ stories.

And how is your writing progressing?

Puro

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  syzygy. Reason: lots of freakish code keeps appearing
    winston @winston

@thane16  Hello Puro ! Things here are good. Although we are still in spring we are having an early heat wave with temps of 30C. the last couple of days. I think it will be a hot, dry summer with lots of watering to keep the veggies and flowers going. Thankfully we live on a creek and have a pump and lots of rain barrels to save on water from the well. My garden Tardis will be too small for anyone other than a squirrel or a mouse to live in. We have some night visitors like skunks and raccoons that keep us on our toes so the more lights the better. I have a small fish pond and stream that use the same water with a pump that moves it upstream to flow down into the pond again. There are 2 fat goldfish that live in it in summer but have to move inside for the cold winters. There were 6 fish but one of those tricky raccoons raided our pond a few years ago.It is raccoon proof now (we hope) and the fish just keep swimming.

I would be very grateful if my terrier Newton was lost and someone tracked us down to return him.That was very kind. Have a good week.

janetteB @janetteb

@winston Our neighbour’s dog went missing last night. She messaged this morning to say dog was found, don’t yet know the hows and whys. A few years ago our dog escaped and vanished. After about two hours a vets called. She was apprehended in the meat department of the supermarket in town, approx 2k away. We were baffled as to why she ran off as usually if she gets out she goes to the front door and tries to attract our attention. We finally worked out that it was because she was frightened of an advertising blimp (hot air balloon) going over.

I love the idea of a Tardis garden light. I have several mini tardis on various bookshelves and a Tardis shower curtain but no outdoor ones and it is certainly not tacky. (I rather suspect the shower curtain is but I don’t care at all.)

@thane16 We suspect that our 17 yr old is suffering from low iron so will be marching him off to the Doctor’s this week for a blood test, between essay writing. We have three all in the throes of exam, essays and major projects. Fun times. (not) I am convinced that education has become far more stressful than it used to be.

Meanwhile we are consoling ourselves with Dr Who.

cheers
    Janette

winston @winston

@janetteb   Oooooh a Tardis shower curtain! I like it.  Definitely not tacky.

janetteB @janetteb

@winston I am thinking of painting the bathroom to match with Gallifreyan symbols on the walls. (I have been thinking this for about two years now. It is on my “one day” list)

Cheers
    Janette

winston @winston

@janetteb   I have one of those lists. It gets longer instead of shorter no matter how many items I cross off it. I wish I had a grandma cave all my own so I could geek out with Tardis blue walls and Who stuff everywhere but I settle for a little corner and my new shelf to feed my inner nerd.

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@janetteb Oh I love the TARDIS shower curtain. I’ve moved recently so I lost my bathroom with the TARDIS blue walls. However, last week I bought a book of Doctor Who cardboard models, such as the TARDIS, Cybermen and Daleks. I’m going to set them up and put them on shelves around my room. I can’t wait to add my nerd decor and make this place feel like every other house I’ve lived in.

@winston Love the idea of a cave with blue walls but a corner is just as good. Just as long as we can watch our shows, everything is great.

janetteB @janetteb

@gamergirlavatar We had several of those books. There is a model K.9 on a bookshelf but the Dalek one proved too difficult for the boys and thus sadly was never completed. I relate to the need to have Who related things about the house to make it feel like home. When we went to Sweden for a year we took a few items which for us defined “home” and the two pewter Daleks were very much part of that “kit”. (they sit on our mantle over the fireplace and every December get Christmas hats. Changing my avatar image in December to include them in the background is one of those “must do” items on my list that never gets crossed off.)

Cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

Let’s see if this works — found it on the Fansided site:

Peter Capaldi thinks the big appeal to Doctor Who is death, but is that true?

Not exactly what he said, but I find the phrase, “which I’m not encouraged to say” because it might damage “the brand” to point out this morbid but undeniably present aspect of the show — interesting, to say the least.  I’ve wondered about that — that whole pressure element that goes with playing that part in these times: all the secrets to keep from the fans, everything you can’t say because of the children, or because it will be taken the wrong way by x or y or persons as yet unknown, or, or, or . . . Nothing like that when Capaldi played Richelieu, right?  It must get a bit oppressive when you land your dream part, thinking of it as it must have been put together with scotch tape and prayers back when you loved it as a kid, and then you find that you’ve become a big cog in a huge commercialized machine with a thousand moving parts and patches of quicksand and the time pressure, and the physical wear and tear, and — and — and!  During that last year, maybe even before then, he talked about the studios in Cardiff as “a factory”.  Must have had some part in the reasons that he wound it up after three series, aside from tradition, and Moffat (among others) going too.

Oh, and those ugly pants that Whittaker-doc will be wearing — I don’t know whether this is some new fashion horror born in the UK, or maybe somebody taking a fashion cue from DW-to-come, but I’ve seen ads on my computer for pants with that weird cut being marketed as “UK jeans”.  Really?  Are young women dressing like this over there?

I guess I’m just an old stick in the woods, but I hope she changes them out for something better ASAP.   They look to me (in the publicity shots we’ve seen so far) like clown pants, and I’m not finding that encouraging.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@ichabod

They’re called culottes over here – and yes, they’re worn here in the UK, though I don’t know how much that comes from the 2017 publicity over the new costume reminding young women that the things exist. 🙂 They were quite popular back in the early eighties, which makes me think that the Whittaker Doctor may be acquiring her new clothes from a charity shop.

But I think they’re a ‘halfway house’ costume, myself. Something picked up by a Time Lady-who-used-to-be-a-Lord who’s spent the last several millennia in bloke’s clothing, and now has to quickly find stuff for a women’s body. Hence the braces, which are a bit of a boo-boo, and the culottes, because they’re a half-way house between a skirt and trousers.

ichabod @ichabod

@bluesqueakpip  Ha!  Thanks.  A charity shop in the nineties, maybe, someone having a closet clear-ou!  Why not?  Did they have on-seam pockets?  One thing I *really* can’t imagine is the Doctor choosing clothes with No Pockets.  But that’s partly because I myself refuse to have or wear such things — and I’ve been keenly aware for years in the US, at least, many women choose pants with no pockets as part of seeking smooth and tight silhouette to look sexier, and what they heck, they carry purses and pocketbooks for their keys . . .

So, how *is* 13 going to deal with fashion and “dress codes” now, with all the fuss about looking — or choosing *not* to look — “sexy” to appeal to one’s chosen gender of partner?  SO easy to offend — somebody, anybody, *everybody*, with how that’s handled!  Hell, I’m offended already, although I did, in fact, back in whatever day was “the day” as they say, make reprehensible “fashion” choices of my own, for reasons that seemed very important at the time.  So I’ll be wanting to cut 13 plenty of slack on the matter . . . and it’s going to be like that with so much else as well.  Chibnall could go for the kind of casual look that says, “I really don’t care about this bit” and just ignore it all except for some side-quips when 13’s attention is momentarily snagged by, say, somebody sporting false eyelashes as long as window drapes; but where’s the fun in that?  I mean, there *is* another side (at least one!) to the matter.

What female models does 13 have in her copious memory (assuming she pushes through the effects of a pretty traumatic regeneration reasonably quickly and *can* remember) to draw upon in terms of looks and habits and modes of action and self-presentation?  Is this getting too complicated, too grown-up for the “target audience” with questions like this?  Chibnall better be prepared to consider that too, since the DW fandom in Moffat’s hands drew in a whole cohort of grown-up female fans.  Some sophisticated thinking will be needed, along with the longed-for slapstick and comic-book action-hero stuff (“I just want it to be *fun* again” is a lot of people’s code for “Surface and fast action, please don’t make me think”), to hold those people’s interest — unless the new admin decide those folks are expendable, aim for the kids.

13 is young (post-adolescent, at any rate) and female, and young, female fans are themselves experimenting with their “look” as part of being young, female, and feeling their oats (hormones).  Play too hard with all of that, and many of those fans may shrug off the whole enterprise.  Ignore it as an issue, and — ditto: “my life-eating and agonizing style concerns aren’t important to DW?!  That’s not a girl [like me, or my sister, or my school friends], that’s a fake!”  And of course it *is* — triple-fake, in fact: the Doctor is a) not a typical “girl” or “boy”, and b) not even a human being, and what’s more c) a fictional person rather than a “real” one.  And sometimes you want to be reminded of these things, but sometimes not.

I think the sanest, most productive course would NOT be to ignore the whole “but she’s a Woman now!” thing, which, IMO, is what would best please the fans who really didn’t want this change in the first place, to degrees of not-wanting that vary from dubious frowns to screaming tantrums complete with the throwing of DW merch out of the window.  It *could* be, “Let’s pretend this never happened”, plus the odd quirk-browed dig at weird girly-things that 13 can’t be bothered with because, well, this never happened and (s)he’s the same old, default gender-setting the male Doctor’s always (mostly) been no matter what (s)he wore.

Instead, what I hope for is that Chibnall will dig in and and encourage his co-writers to do the same, and write 13 as having to confront and make personal decisions (or postponing them) about those “girlie” things as they come up, with revisits to those decisions as needed (high heels for dress up, even though Cybermen will be among the guests — but high heels can be fun?  What to do when someone repellent is attracted to you, and you don’t want to be a tease but you don’t want to be nasty — or get attacked, since that does happen sometimes — either; or maybe you’re attracted back?  And perhaps most tricky *and most important of all*, how do you relate to and treat *other* female characters, now that you’re seeing them, maybe a little more sharply, from the inside of the default (in adventure stories) Not-Okay Corral?  And so on).

I expect a mix of approaches, which I think I’d like best of all.  Sometimes being female is an issue in some way, large or small — constraining, exploitable, extra-dangerous to self and/or others, a nuisance, a joke, painful, unexpectedly jarring or powerful, and so on; sometimes not.  The fans would be in a constant uproar of quarrels about approval, disapproval, moaning about “consistency” and how “realistically” an issue has been handled, whether it *is* an issue (they will lose the outright misogynists straight away anyhow, just for acknowledging that yes, there really are common problems for women that men don’t usually encounter), how everybody *else* would have dealt with it much better instead of what Chibnall’s crew did, etc., etc. forever.

In other words — the usual, really, for DW fandom only louder: but, most importantly, alive and kicking.

winston @winston

@ichabod  I have to agree that with you about the culottes. I didn’t like them the first time around but thats just me. I also wonder how the whole”female” time lord thing will be dealt with. She can’t just ignore it but we don’t want it to become the whole story,  just like being a female is not my whole story.

When Matt Smith first took the role I thought “how young” and yet by the end of his first episode I felt that he was so old. An old soul in a young mans body and he was the Doctor. I don’t know how they will do it but that is what I hope for from Chibnall and JW. Let her be flirty like 10 and manic like 11, cocky like 9 or crusty like 12 and let her be all that as a female but first as the Doctor.

The 12th Doctor had made peace with himself and his regeneration was with a hope for the future while understanding how important  his memories were in keeping past companions and friends alive in his hearts. So I think the 13th Doctor may be a bit more pessimistic and a lot more tolerant and will thoroughly enjoy this entirely new experience. In all the Doctors years and regens he has seen and done a lot of things but he has never been female and we all know how much the Doctor loves new stuff. The 13th Doctor will enjoy being a girl just because she doesn’t know how to.

I really hope that the first female Doctor will be accepted and loved and I am sure there are kids and adults out there who will one day claim her as their Doctor.

ichabod @ichabod

@winston   I am sure there are kids and adults out there who will one day claim her as their Doctor.

Oh, I don’t doubt it!  It’ll be a bumpy ride, but why not?  We live in bumpy times.  I expect a lot of youthful energy and enthusiasm from JW for, as you say, a whole new take on Doctoring, with maybe an occasional island of sadness and darker memories in a sea of exuberance.  Someday, students of gender relations and social history will be writing studies on how this beloved serial made this highly contentious shift, and what came of it, and how it all played out.  In some respects, making this change in an iconic male hero after 50 yrs is going to be hard to beat for other shows that people like to think of as bold and progressive (eg, “Jessica Jones” and others).

I have to say, I don’t think anyone in American TV would have had to guts to do something like this.  What’s being lauded here now is “The Handmaid’s Tale”, a grim descent into a future death of current hopes, or “Westworld” about an android uprising.  But to actually pick up your established hero of a half-century and literally turn him into a pretty young woman (in horrible trousers) — well, it’s looking a lot more revolutionary to me now than it did back when the decision was actually made.  I see better now why there was such vitriolic opposition from some fans to a female Doctor: it really is a culturally significant change, in a way that the recent efflorescence of, say, female cops and detectives in crime thriller-dom hasn’t been: visible and in your face, a flag planted, in one bold, very public stroke backed by a massive and distinguished institution, the BBC.  Wow!

Which carries lot of expectations with it, so good luck to Chibnall — he’s going to need it.

winston @winston

@ichabod   I always understood how some felt about the gender change of our Doctor and I felt /feel some of it too. Also I worry that there are many people who will not even give her a chance and that is sad.  I just think about all those past Doctors and their memories ( including Clara)  being part of this new regeneration. It will be fun.

The more I watch past series the more I understand that the Doctor is an alien from an alien planet who only looks like a human. After many hints about time lords changing gender and then Missy and the general on Gallifrey  I knew it was bound to happen to our Doctor sooner or later and I am glad it was sooner. It is just time for it to happen.

Besides, if time lords can and do change gender when regenerating why wouldn’t the Doctor?

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

@janetteb Awww… those Christmas daleks sound really cute, so does the K-9 model. I hope you’ll be able to cross off changing your avatar picture to them from your list. Also, good luck on picking the right Galliferyan symbols for your redecorating.

Missy @missy

@pedant:

<p dir=”ltr” lang=”en”>he new Doctor Who intro is a bit shit pic.twitter.com/NhIjLjZ2n8</p>
    — Nev (@LFCNev) March 18, 2018

Facebook wouldn’t let me in.

Missy

Missy @missy

@ichabod:

Re JW trousers. she looks like a Telly tubby! Or a clown.

You all know my views, so I won’t go on about them.

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Anyone been watching the Who marathon on Twitch? I was a bit meh about the whole idea to begin with but I’ve become addicted. It’s like watching an rapid crash course in the BG show. Certainly I’ve totally revised my opinion of Pertwee who as many of you on here will know I was kind of snippy about in the past, but he truly is a terrific Doctor. He’s totally shot up in my estimation. To the point that I was genuinely gutted and more than a little initially outraged to see him replaced by that googly-eyed upstart. (Though have to say that Terror of the Zygons confirmed to me that they’ve always been a bit rubbish and don’t quite understand why they’ve since been brought back multiple times over other more deserving monsters.)

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

The writer Harlan Ellison died a couple of days ago. An amazingly prolific writer of science fiction and fantasy. And a man of strong opinions who didn’t suffer fools gladly. But I thought I would share this quote of his (made to a convention audience, I believe):

Star Wars is adolescent nonesense; Close Encounters is obscurantist drivel; Star Trek can turn your brains to purée of bat guano; and the great science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who. And I’ll take you all on, one by one or in a bunch to back it up!

If you are unaware of his writing, he was responsible for arguably the most brilliant episode of the original series of Star Trek — “The City on the Edge of Forever”.

Damn. That quote above should have read: “the greatest science fiction series of all time”

[I blame it on the head cold…]

And actually, there is a great story behind the transition of that Star Trek episode from page to TV screen. It is quite easy to find Ellison’s original script and Gene Roddenberry’s revised shooting script with a quick search on Google. Ellison was famously furious with Roddenberry’s changes.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave That is an excellent quote and I might have to borrow it. I am involved in a Cult Tv blog for community broadcasting and next month we are discussing original Star Trek. That quote so eloquently expresses my view of S.T.

We will get to Dr Who. The “Club” did a first recording last Thursday and it was cut short by a fake family crisis. (Long, funny but irrelevant story.) We discussed The Goodies. I was surprised at how many younger generation fans there are for such an old series.

Ellison was creative consultant for Babylon Five. He voiced the computer in one episode.

cheers
    Janette

Hi @janetteb. While I agree with Ellison on Doctor Who (what civilized person wouldn’t?) I do think he is a little harsh on the original Star Trek. Ellison’s work was brilliant, but he was not what you would call optimistic. And that was the core, and the strength in my opinion, of the original Star Trek. It imagined a world that was better than the one we lived in, and, as a teenager, I really responded to that. I still do.

There. That’s my contribution to your blog….

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave Thanks I will use that too. I am perhaps being too harsh about original Star Trek. I have only seen the odd episode having been introduced into Trekdom through Next Generation so my impression is of N.G. not original. I enjoyed watching N.G only to predict how the story was going to resolve knowing that every episode would return to status quo with the humans solving the problem and flying away. I think I was also always rather too cynical about power and those who wield it to relate to the positivism of Star trek (N.G at least) which I always suspected was really saying insn’t the U.S. wonderful. I preferred stories about noble rebels. Interesting that British Sci-fi tended to make heroes of those who defy power while the U.S. series made heroes of those who defended it. (with exceptions of course, and am happy to be proven wrong.)

Cheers
    Janette

ichabod @ichabod

@blenkinsopthebrave  the great science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who.

WHAT?  My God, I had no idea — Harlan said that?  Wow.  If I’d known before, I’d have called him up for a natter about it.  He was a very — ah — volatile party, who often did amazing favors for other writers and/or insulted, alienated, and occasionally punched them as well.  He once, out of the blue, plugged a couple of my books during a convention panel we were on together; I was gobsmacked and dizzified at the same time, and we got pally for a while from that point.  He was one hell of an electrifying performer, brilliant at improv.  Some years later, he phoned me to rant about the latest copyright or plagiarism suit he was engaging in, and I pretty much called it quits after that.  Harlan always insisted that you take sides, which put people in a difficult position when he was going off half-cocked and you had no way of knowing the whole story at the moment — only his side of it.  And that he was way too excitable to be any degree of objective about that.

Some of his stories really struck sparks with readers.  But beyond that, there’s been a tremendous amount of comment within our community, about how inspiring his work was to so many young (back then) writers in our field, and how helpful he could be to them.  Some remember him with a certain sourness and reserve, but so many are really stricken by news of his death.

I love it that he spoke about DW that way!  Smart, funny, impossible Harlan . . . of course he would.

winston @winston

@janetteb and @blenkinsopthebrave  First to my fellow Canucks “Happy Canada Day!”

I loved the original Star Trek when I was young.  I joke that I learned everything I needed to know

about life from  Star Trek. Life lessons like “the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few” and that cruelty and injustice should be fought against. I learned that family comes in all forms,shapes and colours and that loyalty is earned by deeds and actions. Trek taught me that bravery can come from the least expected places as can sacrifice.Most of all though Star Trek taught me to never,ever follow the “prime directive”. If people need help against oppression or a tyrant or a salt sucking creature than you try to help them.If they are hungry try to feed them and if they need someone to fight for them than you stand in front of them.A good person cannot stand by and watch while others are in trouble, they need to help.

I learned that women can and will do anything they want to including traveling in space and now they do!

You know who else never follows the prime directive of non-interference……our Doctor.

This is implausibly delightful:

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sorry for hogging…

wolfweed @wolfweed

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed DalekTrump was so apt. thanks for sharing that.

cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

Peter Davison & the Muppets (2nd post – sorry – can’t have 2nd without the 1st)…

wolfweed @wolfweed

wolfweed @wolfweed

Craig @craig
    Emperor

For your convenience, here are all 3 parts of the Steven Moffat interview done by the Fan Show, the last of which was published today (not sure why it took them 7 months between part 2 and 3, but there you go).

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

Oh no! About Close Encounters…. Mum loves it and we’re watching it again (I don’t remember watching it when I was four except I remembered the scary bits) . Mum likes it because of the musical elements and she says that’s one reason why she was fascinated by music. In Adelaide Kodaly systems of music weren’t taught and so in Brisbane where they moved for about a year before going to New South Wales she encountered 🙂 tonal music in her aural testing. Anyway I’m actually liking Dreyfuss’ performance.

Also and I know I’m really behind on this but @janetteb and @ichabod mum used to love wearing culottes. If they were tight at the waist and in black with a different coloured tucked in top ( I think blouse is the term girls use for ‘tops’ ) they are comfortable?

Fashion is different now. They have a ‘everything thrown together’ look with skirts, tights or boots.

Mum said if you didn’t wear Levis in the ’70s and even wore a singlet in the 10 age group, you were bullied. Mum was forced to wear a petticoat under her skirt, hiding behind the bus-stop taking it off. A neighbour rang grandma one day to say what she was seeing! The kids wore jeans but grandma insisted mum wear skirts. And out came the bullies….I think when it comes to clothing or weight (mum thought she was fat when she was petite and I’ve seen the photos!) she’d have it better now than 40 years ago.

@winston I loved those concepts in Star Trek. I’ve only seen a few episodes but I like Shatner. I saw him in Boston Legal where he’s older so I didn’t recognise him -except for his voice which is SO good.

Thank you for reading.

Thane16. and Puro

janetteB @janetteb

@thane16 Oh yes schools in the 70s were brutal. I was bullied for wearing white socks on my first day at high school. I was so confused as to why it mattered. My best friend, whose mother was on a pension would not go to school on casual dress days as her Mum could not afford to buy her Levis. And it varied from school to school too. In our school in Ballarat where it rained all the time umbrellas were a big no no but often saw kids from schools in Melbourne wandering around with brollies. Makes no sense at all.

We had to defer our viewing of Star Trek to this week. I am really looking forward to it and will keep in mind the comments made by @blenkinsopthebrave and @winston.

Cheers

Janette

@thane16 and puro, well, that was Harlan Ellison’s opinion of Close Encounters, not mine. I have a really soft spot for it. Mainly because it is so wonderfully optimistic.

@janetteb, actually, I have the same opinion of the original 1960s Star Trek–it was so optimistic.

And god knows, we need a huge dose of optimism these days.

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave Oh yes we agree -that is Puro (me) and Thane . I like Dreyfus’ performance a lot -and Francois Truffaut (no doubt I spelled that wrong)  It is optimistic and at points very funny too.

@janetteb I understand totally! It was an awful time in one way, wasn’t it?

Puro

janetteB @janetteb

@thane16 (Puro) yes I certainly thought so. I don’t have any nostalgia at all for the 70s. Only 1979 stands out as a good year. I was in Yr 11 the class bullies had all dropped out by then, Thank goodness for the young school leaving age. I discovered my love of history and English, had a good friend group and also began escaping from home, going cycling or sitting on my best friend’s front verandah playing scrabble and drinking Baileys. That was also the year I became a Dr Who fan and so Doctor Who is very associated with that one happy year of my youth. The following year it all went down hill again. My best friend dropped out of school, my other friends either dropped our or moved away and it was yr 12.

Cheers

Janette

Mudlark @mudlark

@janetteb @thane16

The one thing to be said for the generally unbecoming and often hideous school uniforms which most of my generation in Britain were obliged to wear back in the day, is that at least bullies couldn’t seize on our – or our parents’ – choice of clothes as a pretext for picking on people. Our sartorial self-expression in school hours was limited to how far we could subvert the intended neat uniformity, usually by contriving a casual, not to say slovenly look 😉

winston @winston

@janetteb  @thane16    I  also went to school through the 70s and the kids were tough on anyone  who dressed or looked different. We did not have a lot of money for 4 of us kids and my Mom couldn’t and wouldn’t indulge our “need” for Levis and platform shoes. At the time I resented her willingness to throw me to the lions but I guess it made me stronger? No I do not miss high school in the 70s. (or hotpants)

@mudlark Some friends went to a private school where uniforms were worn and they did their best to subvert the cause usually by rolling up the waistband of their skirts to make them shorter.The boys went the slovenly route.

@blenkinsopthebrave  Believe it or not my hubby borrowed the 1st season of Star Trek and is watching the episode with the Gorn right now. Of course in the end he refuses to kill the Gorn when he realizes they are being used by another alien. Lessons learned- don’t do others dirty work for them, always have mercy,  and be true to your own morals and ethics especially  when under duress or attack.

wolfweed @wolfweed

So the new TARDIS interior just leaked online.

Be careful where you look…

look

I’m just gonna leave this here: The Pandorica Opens. According the the Skeptics Guide to the Universe crew the food is excellent.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 1,125 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (9)’ is closed to new replies.