Doctor Who News (3)

Home Forums General Doctor Who News (3)

This topic contains 1,028 replies, has 95 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,029 total)
  • Author
    Narvin @narvin

BTW the new Doctor Who headphones are in! Forum members get 30% off any DW products on our site if you use DWLIFE in the checkout box. massiveaudio dot com

We worked really hard on them and they sound amazing  so Enjoy!

Missy @missy

@narvin

Fantastic! well done

Cheers,

Missy

Narvin @narvin

@missy

Thanks!

gamergirlavatar @gamergirlavatar

I don’t know if anyone has posted about this yet but Doctor Who is getting a new spin-off called “Class” and a few details about it are online.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

For River Song fans – she’s getting some adventures of her own on Big Finish – yay!

I think I’ll have to acquire them:

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-diary-of-river-song-1313?range=113

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Well, it’s not really Doctor Who news, but it’s Peter Capaldi news.

Shell just (temporarily at least) surrendered their plans to drill for oil in the Arctic and Greenpeace have released a video detailing the three year global campaign to stop them, narrated by…. our own Peter Capaldi:

GalaxyOfClams @galaxyofclams

Looks like another lost episode has been found! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5XBza84Gxk

Craig @craig
    Emperor

So it seems that K9 is getting his own movie, and he’ll be battling Omega! This is one that could be amazing, terrible, bonkers or all three at once.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/k9-to-battle-omega-in-movie-timequake-77281.htm

K9 movie

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

A K9 movie?!!

Perhaps it was something to do with the fact that I was at university during the Tom Baker years, and his Doctor seemed really cool. But then along comes K9, and, to an undergraduate who thought he was more sophisticated than he actually was, K9 seemed awfully cringeworthy.

Am I remembering correctly that K9 was introduced, in part, to deflect the criticisms of Mary Whitehouse (the Dolorous Umbridge of the 1970s) that Doctor Who was becoming unsuitable for children?

On the other hand, written by Bob Baker, who wrote all the best Wallace and Gromit.

mmmm…

winston @winston

@craig

K9 sure looks all amped up. I wonder if the 12th Doctor  is the one who upgraded him. I am excited to see the movie with my grandkids.

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave K.9 as a kind of robot Gromit? Yes. I would expect if Gromit could talk he would have John Leeson’s voice. I was still at school when K.9 was introduced and though far from the age that I suspect he was aimed at I always had a soft spot for K.9.

Hopefully the film will no resemble the TV series which I think sunk without trace?

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

Holy crab-cakes – Christmas has come early 🙂

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-tenth-doctor-adventures

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@craig — this is Time Quake, the 20-odd page kids’ book written way back in 1980-ish? I’d be tempted to assume this was an April’s Fool that’s somehow gone chronologically awry. But if it’s genuine, my money is on the ‘awful’ end of the spectrum.

And to be really anoraky about it, I seem to remember the story involved K9 being sent by the Time Lords to defeat Omega (with suspicious ease). Presumably that’s going to be rewritten otherwise it’s going to play hell with the parent show’s current backstory….

janetteB @janetteb

@fatmaninabox ARgh. The art work alone is enough to make me desperately want to buy those Big Finish stories but The Tenth Doctor and Donna!! That decides it. (Funny how squiddy teethy monsters never look as good in CGI as they do on a book cover.)

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@janetteb

‘Squiddy’ reminds me of Davy Jones from the Pirates of The Caribbean movies (and is that Death lurking in the background or Darth Sidious 🙂 ).

Arbutus @arbutus

@fatmaninabox      Oh, great. More things for me to spend my money on.  🙂

I suppose once they broke through the copyright wall to the AG series, this was going to happen sooner or later. BF seems to have no problem reeling people in to their world. Apparently, it’s the lunches.  🙂

Narvin @narvin

@fatmaninabox

This is excellent news indeed!

winston @winston

@fatmaninabox

That looks great. Donna and 10  together again, how can I resist?

Missy @missy

@winston

I’m not even going to try!

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Peter Capaldi was on Radio 1 this morning. I’ve edited it down to remove the kids’ music.

There’s a lot of interesting stuff in here.

Warning, if you’re a complete spoilerphobe, it contains minor spoilers…

If you wish to discuss those spoilers head over to the BBC Approved Spoilers topic.

Missy @missy

Thank you Craig. I shan’t watch until I’ve seen Series 9. I can do this!

Cheers,

Missy

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

While rooting around for more pictures of the Osgood Box, I came across a story in the Radio Times about an internet posting by SM in 1995. Maybe the message here is, hang on to your bonkers theories, you never know when you might be able to use them!! I’ve put the full link to the story below.

Well, it turns out that back in 1995 a young Steven Moffat (who has confirmed to RadioTimes.com that this story is genuine) posted an idea on the chatroom rec.arts.drwho, suggesting that the Doctor’s name may have actually been the inspiration throughout the universe for healers and wise men to call themselves doctors. 

Here’s the post in question (which you can see in its original form here, after we dredged it up from a reddit thread).

Steven Moffat (100043.121@CompuServe.COM) wrote:

Here’s a particularly stupid theory.  If we take “The Doctor” to be the Doctor’s name – even if it is in the form of a title no doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan – perhaps our earthly use of the word “doctor” meaning healer or wise man is direct result of the Doctor’s multiple interventions in our history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from him.  This is a very silly idea and I’m consequently rather proud of it.

Interesting stuff – but if you’re wondering why that idea sounds so familiar, try casting your mind back to 2011 episode A Good Man Goes to War, and in particular a speech made by Alex Kingston’s River Song (see the video and text below).

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-05/this-fan-theory-steven-moffat-posted-in-a-chatroom-in-1995-became-a-real-doctor-who-episode

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I know it’s a bit early to mention Christmas, but I thought I’d highlight something that’s definitely gone on my personal list and it originated from dialogue in a Mark Gatiss episode.

Remember his Night Terrors, in which the Eleventh Doctor tried to reassure young George?

When I was your age—about, oo, a thousand years ago—I loved a good bedtime story. The Three Little Sontarans. The Emperor Dalek’s New Clothes. Snow White and Seven Keys to Doomsday, eh? All the classics.

Well, Penguin are publishing a collection of those ‘Classics’ as Time Lord Fairy Tales, by Justin Richards who knocked out quite a few good books in the Eighth Doctor range. It seems to be getting good reviews with some praise for the sinister edge and giving some of the Tales less than happy endings. Looks lovely as well.

I genuinely have enjoyed some previous works which have touched on extrapolating the Doctor into old storytelling styles. Things like the Arabian Nights-esque story of how The Doctor trapped Fenric in the flask in the novelization of Curse of Fenric. In a similar style, Paul Magrs novel The Scarlet Empress sees the Eighth Doctor become fascinated by a book called the Aja’ib (wondrous or miraculous one). It leads to some great in jokes as the Doctor recounts the latest exploit he’s read about, declaring it preposterous and not getting it’s about him. It’s actually a great book about the necessity of storytelling in relation to fleeting memory. It also has Iris Wildthyme, which is a bonus. I think storytelling avenues like this are ripe for exploitation by authors who can get the right style.

Back to fairy tales and just as enticing is the audio book, released next week which features a host of Who actors tackling a story each. I can’t think of anything better than lying in bed on a winter’s night having Dan Starkey narrate The Three Little Sontarans (preferably as Strax), or Tom Baker waxing lyrical. Like a Doctor Who Jackanory (and there lies a big omission – a project like this would have surely benefited from the mighty Bernard Cribbins).

Here are teasers of the fifteen Tales, and the narrators for the audiobook.

Little Rose Riding Hood (Rachael Stirling, Ada in Crimson Horror)

Deep in the woods, Rose is travelling to her grandmother’s cottage. She’s careful to watch out for the Bad Wolf, but what about the strange woodcutter she meets, wearing a black leather jacket? And why does Grandmother suddenly have such sharp teeth?

The Gingerbread Trap (Samuel Anderson, Danny Pink)

Lost in a forest, Everlyne and her brother, Malkus, find a house made out of gingerbread and sweets. But the kindly old woman who lives there is not all she first seems – in fact, with her strange metal craft and mysterious barrels of oil, she might not even be human . . .

The Scruffy Piper (Nicholas Briggs, voice of just about everything)

Space Station Hamlyn is under siege. Thousands of small metal creatures are flying through space, sent by silver warriors to burrow inside the station. The crew’s only hope is a slightly scruffy-looking stranger, with a recorder and a mysterious blue box . . .

Helana and the Beast (Pippa Bennett-Warner, Saibra in Time Heist)

Kept captive in a castle by a terrible beast, Helana befriends the castle’s only other resident – it’s grumpy, grey-haired librarian. Will the Beast and the librarian turn out to be more than meets the eye?

Andiba and the Four Slitheen (Yasmin Paige, Maria in The Sarah Jane Adventures)

Out walking in the hills one day, a young woman called Andiba hides when she sees several strange creatures beside an odd metal craft. Can she stop their dastardly plans for the local distillery, before it’s too late?…

The Grief Collector (Michelle Gomez, Missy!)

Melina and Varan are childhood sweethearts. Their wedding day should be the happiest of their lives – but when it all begins to go horribly wrong, can they trust a mysterious stranger in a pin-striped suit to set things right?

The Three Brothers Gruff (Paul McGann, yer actual Eighth Doctor)

Three brothers are walking home to their village. One brother is very strong, one is very brave, and the third – although weak and small compared to his brothers – is very clever. What will happen when they encounter a short (but fierce) member of a military clone race?

Sir Gwain and the Green Knight (Andrew Brooke, The Gunslinger, Town Called Mercy)

The Court of King Halfur is in session, attended by the greatest and bravest knights of the realm, when they have an unexpected visitor. A huge, green warrior clad in reptilian-like armour smashes his way into the chamber – but why does he need their help?

Garden of Statues (Joanna Page, Elizabeth I)

Children have always played in the garden of the Big House – though sometimes, the stone statues there seem to move about of their own accord.

Frozen Beauty (Adjoa Andoh, Martha’s Mum, Francine)

A spaceship crash-lands on a mysterious planet, the crew frozen in cryogenic suspension, unable to save themselves from the slithering dangers that lurk outside. Can a handsome Space Captain find the sleeping travellers before it’s too late?

Cinderella and the Magic Box (Ingrid Oliver, Osgood)

Cinderella has lost all hope of attending the royal ball with her stepmother and sisters, when a strange man in a blue box arrives and begins to grant her every wish. But at the palace, Cinderella soon discovers not all the guests are as noble as they seem . . .

The Twins in the Wood (Anne Reid, Plasmavore)

The Emperor of Levithia has been murdered, leaving his two children as heirs to the throne. With treason and traitors around every corner, the children are soon forced to flee into space. What will become of them when they crash-land on a strange planet, full of it’s own surprises?

The Three Little Sontarans (Dan Starkey, Strax)

In an epic battle against a lone Rutan, three Sontarans take up very different strategies to defeat their interminable nemesis, once and for all.

Jak and the Wormhole (Tom Baker, who needs no introduction)

After burying a strange device on his farm, Jak finds himself whisked away on an incredible adventure. Faced with a mysterious, horned enemy, it’s up to Jak to save the world from total destruction.

Snow White and the Seven Keys to Doomsday (Sophie Aldred, Ace)

The planet Winter was once ruled by an evil tyrant who built a Doomsday Machine. When he was defeated, the machine’s seven vital operating keys were hidden across the planet. Now, a villainous queen is plotting to locate the keys, but Snow White is determined to stop her . . .

All in all, it sounds a treat.

janetteB @janetteb

@phaseshift. I want. Looks like a lovely book and the audio sounds rather compelling. I hope it appears on the shelves down here before Christmas.

I would love to see some of those concepts developed as episode scripts.

Cheers

Janette

Anonymous @

@phaseshift – very, very tempted to buy both versions of the book.

I wonder if The Three Brothers Gruff are called Stephen, Joe and Mark 😉

@janetteb – Yes! I think the Three Little Sontarans would be hysterical 😀

bendubz11 @bendubz11

I’m a little late to the party, but I think that a K9 movie could be marvellous, if only for the implications that it could mean. After all, he is currently in the possession of Luke Smith from SJA, after going with him to Uni. And how brilliant would it be if CapDoc were to travel with an alien, especially one that we already know and love?

Anonymous @

Oh, this is marvellous – a sneak peek of Big Finish’s ‘Time Reaver’ featuring David Tennant and Catherine Tate. Nothing spoilery, just classic Doctor/Donna banter 😀

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-18/keep-calm–but-weve-got-the-exclusive-first-clip-of-david-tennant-and-catherine-tates-return-to-doctor-who

Starla @starla

Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffatt were on Triple J in Australia this afternoon. I only caught the tail end, but here’s a link to the interview if anyone is interested.  😆

ttriple j doctor who interview

janetteB @janetteb

@starla Thanks for the link. Oh to be in Sydney right now.

@fatmaninabox Thanks for that link also. I really want to buy those Big Finish stories. Would be great to listen to in the car while doing the long drive to the city.

Cheers

Janette

Mersey @mersey
    AntZebra @antzebra

Dr Who Inspired Sculpture at National Building Museum in DC.

link:https://give.capitalareafoodbank.org/campaigns/canstruction-2015/page

#CANstruction2015

nerys @nerys

@mersey Thanks for that link to the Radio Times interview! Reading it, I’m amazed the 50th anniversary special turned out so spectacularly well. Not because of the talent involved; there’s no question there. But because it all seemed to come together at rather the last moment. I figured this had been in the works for years!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@nerys

Wasn’t it Samuel Johnson who said: “Nothing concentrates the mind like the prospect of being hanged at dawn”

Anonymous @

Peter Jackson teases about directing Doctor Who. 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/middleearthnews/

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

Much trailed but really rather splendid interview with Steven Moffat in the RT….

Well, worth a look.

janetteB @janetteb

@jimthefish That is indeed a “splendid” interview. I however was rather disturbed by the blurb for part two which includes those dire words, “his plans to leave Doctor Who.” I hope those are long term plans.

@fatmaninabox I just watched the Jackson vid’. It does indeed looks as though discussions are under way for a Jackson directed episode. It would be nice if it was in New Zealand. The Doctor has not visited “down under” for many many years.

@mersey Thank for that link. Moffat’s comments about Sylvester McCoy are echoed by the article about him in Sydney. Sounds like a truly lovely man.

cheers

Janette

winston @winston

@jimthefish  Thanks for that interestng interview. I would never find those things on my own.

@fatmaninabox   Very cute little clip that I got some giggles from. Thanks for the link. Hope we get a Peter Jackson episode in the future.

@mersey   Thanks for that interview. Lots of info behind the making of the 50th.

Missy @missy

Loved the clip with PJ polishing his Oscars. PC is perfect as he acts all furtive.

Brilliant, certainly won’t ‘exterminate” this interview.

Thank you the other two interviews too.

Cheers

Missy

JimTheFish @jimthefish
    Time Lord

@janetteb

I however was rather disturbed by the blurb for part two which includes those dire words, “his plans to leave Doctor Who.” I hope those are long term plans.

Well, he’s there for s10 at the very least. After that, I wouldn’t be surprised if was thinking about moving on. (I wouldn’t be massively surprised if the show took a break after that, if I’m honest.) I do struggle to think who could possibly fill Moffat’s shoes though so I’m less than thrilled at the idea he might be moving on too. But he’ll have done it for five years by that time, while also fitting in four  series of Sherlock too. The man surely deserves some R&R.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@janetteb and @jimthefish

He said at the Festival that if he’d followed his original plan, he’d have already left by now.

He’s taking it a year at a time – the BBC keep handing him new contracts, and he’s still coming up with new ideas, so as long as that continues…

Anonymous @

@fatmaninabox I really hope that Peter Jackson really can direct an episode of Doctor Who in the future.

Also, just a quick unrelated thing…There is already going to be a Lego Doctor Who set soon, but it would be great if there would also be a Sherlock set. You can support it (not my creation) on Lego Ideas titled The Sherlock Project created by BBCfan#1. There are 221(B) days left to support it.

Missy @missy

I too hope that SM doesn’t leave DW. He does however deserve a break.

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Wow! Humble Bundle are doing up to $278 worth of Big Finish audio books for “Pay what you want”. Although you only get all of them if you pay more than $15. Still a result! And it’s all for charity.

https://www.humblebundle.com/morebooks

Humble Bundle Big Finish deal

zoej-w @zoej-w

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if people could help me out and take part in my questionnaire to help with my dissertation please please please??? <i><u>:)</u></i>

I’m doing my dissertation on ‘the influence of films and TV programmes on the screen tourism industry in the UK’ and it will take no longer than 5 minutes to complete!

https://cardiffmet.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9F5BER7QM7TCY0l
    <div class=”text_exposed_show”>

Thanks and any questions let me know xx

</div>

Craig @craig
    Emperor

Can I just add that I read what I wrote above and it is not an advert even though reviewing it, it does kinda sound like one. Apologies for that.

I was just excited, have bought the lot for myself, and wanted to share. When I will get the time to listen to it all I don’t know.

Missy @missy

@juniperfish

Sorry to be so late. I’ve finally watched the video about the arctic.
    Outstanding. Why is it that PC manages to bring tears of joy to my eyes?
    The man is magical, and so is this video.
    Thank you so much JF.

Regards,

Missy

Moffat on the Orson Pink issue (link found by @sirclockface): here.

I like it becuase there are no unecessary assumptions: you just have to suppose that Clara would be a decent person and talk to his family. That Clara is decent is something there is boundless evidence for. Moffat rarely spells out the obvious (I suspect on the principle that the hard-of-learning are beyond help).

ichabod @ichabod

@pedant   Thanks.  It’s never bothered me that much, but I know some fans have tied themselves in knots over it . . .

OB-Wan @ob-wan

@pedant

Well, I guess that’s “an answer” for those who can’t live without one.  Like ichabod, I never really cared once Danny was removed from the chessboard.

But it’s kind of funny that Moffat would give an answer and then turn right around and say that that answer doesn’t mean anything… “Nothing is actual till it’s in the show.”

Maybe he was just trying to give some peace to those that are driven to distraction by that plot point.  Or perhaps he just wanted people to stop asking him about it.

Oh, well, guess I’ll go check my messages.

janetteB @janetteb

Stephen Moffat reminds me of a line from B.5. While all answers are replies not all replies are answers. He is the master of the reply that is not an answer. As one of those “who have tied themselves in knots” over the Orson/Danny mystery I am very happy to never have any resolution to the mystery. I have devised a solution that pleases me. I like there to be the occasional gap for the viewer to fill in. That way the fun lies.

Cheers

Janette

Viewing 50 posts - 751 through 800 (of 1,029 total)

The topic ‘Doctor Who News (3)’ is closed to new replies.