On The Sofa (10)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (10)

This topic contains 314 replies, has 46 voices, and was last updated by  Miapatrick 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 315 total)
  • Author
    Anastasia22KG @anastasia22kg

Hey guys!!

I’ve been trying to find the adventure games…and i cant find any links…Is there anyone who has them??

Thanks for your time!!

Missy @missy

@dentarthurdent

Let’s hope it is a hoax, except JW and CC leaving of course.

@janetteb

I agree PC’s Tardis was by far the best.

I am listening to a play on BBC 4 Extra called Night Terrace. It ‘s about a house that can travel in time and space?

Frankly it’s daft! But maybe it’s meant to be.

Nicholas Briggs makes an appearance. *shakes head*

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

@winston, @nerys, @arbutus, and any other Canadians I have forgotten,

Which streaming service will allow me to watch the New Year special? (p.s. I do not have cable)

Arbutus @arbutus

@blenkinsopthebrave   I don’t know that there is one. I don’t have cable either. I’ve always purchased my Dr. Who on iTunes. $4 will get you the episode plus any special features. The new episodes usually become available for download around midnight, after they air in North America. The bonus is no ads, which I gather are a nuisance on the broadcast!  🙂

Many thanks @arbutus. I had forgotten that option.

nerys @nerys

@blenkinsopthebrave I do have cable, and so I watch Doctor Who via the CTV Sci-Fi channel. Which reminds me: I need to check to see when the holiday special is airing!

nerys @nerys

By the way: I’m sure this is ancient news, but I just found a delightful book in my public library system’s Overdrive collection. It’s called Doctor Who: 12 Doctors, 12 Stories. I just completed the first one. Wonderful stuff!

12 Doctors, 12 Stories

AlanF @alanf

Just watched new episode 1/1/21. (Watched the original in 1963)

the TARDIS Door from inside should read XOB ECILOP and the relative dimension should begin immediately. Not through a vestibule

AlanF

janetteB @janetteb

Hi all,

This sounds like an interesting Dr Who project. I like the concept and hope they are able to do it given current restrictions in the U.K. Is this the first time Dr Who has been produced for theatre? (discounting Proms that is)

Also there was an article in the Guardian recently about Sacha Dhawan which is of interest. (still think he would have been an ideal future candidate for the role of the Doctor if he had not been cast as The Master)

And lastly a link to a podcast on a community website reviewing the second Doctor story, Tomb of the Cybermen. It is split into two parts as was too large for the site. This particular story generated a very robust discussion which was too good to cut. (editor’s view anyway) Another note, the editor does not necessarily agree with all the views expressed in this podcast. If you listen I think you will recognise what I am referring to.

Year before, (2019) the group reviewed “An Unearthly Child” and this year the plan is to look at a Pertwee story. Doing a Doctor a year.

Cheers

Janette

@janetteb

If you are doing a Pertwee story this year, can I suggest “Inferno”

It was brilliant. And it had the last performance of Caroline John as Liz Shaw (probably my favourite companion).

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave. I will have a look at it. I don’t think I have seen any of the Liz Shaw stories. I was thinking Day of the Daleks as it to me typifies the Pertwee years. My eldest son suggested Monster of Peladon but I would rather a story that features UNIT. We will do Dr Who in November so plenty of time to think about it.

Cheers

Janette

Whocanconvinceyoupodcast @whocanconvince

<p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Hi all! I’m new here so I hope it’s ok to post this here! (Please delete if not)</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>But I’ve started a new doctor who podcast with my friend so I thought I’d share it with you all 🙂 </span></p>
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Feel free to give us a follow or take a listen! Thank you :)</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Twitter http://www.Twitter.com/whocanconvince</span></p&gt;
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Apple podcasts https://t.co/ycYyAVXeML</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Amazon https://t.co/Hur6Lfpm07</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Spotify https://open.spotify.com/show/3n6doI22SizUuBJ5ilpgXR</span></p>
    <p class=”p1″><span class=”s1″>Podbean https://whocanconvinceyou.podbean.com/</span></p>

Whocanconvinceyoupodcast @whocanconvince

hello, sorry but my last post decided to turn into to alien code….so.

hi all, im new here so i hope its ok to post this here(please delete if not)

but ive started a new doctor who podcast with my friend so i thought id share it with you

feel free to take a listen and give us a follow 🙂 many thanks https://twitter.com/Whocanconvince

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/doctor-who-who-can-convince-you-podcast/id1548365013

https://music.amazon.co.uk/podcasts/bd9756cf-368d-464f-80f7-54ae79113c24/Doctor-Who-Who-Can-Convince-You-Podcast

@janetteb

We decided to watch “Day of the Daleks” after you mentioned it. (I hadn’t seen it for a long time.) This was quite soon after watching “Inferno”. For me, there is no comparison. “Inferno” is far stronger and far more entertaining. You said you wanted UNIT in the story you chose—well, since you have not seen it yet, I do not want to spoil it, but the Brigadier and Sergeant Benton are there, in all sorts of ways.  Pertwee gives a wonderful performance, and Caroline John is really worth discovering. I encourage you to seek it out.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Hi everyone!

Having finished the taught module of my MA last week (which ran from October 2019) I finally have time. (I should have had time anyway, it’s a part time module, but I’m really slow). And the best thing to do with time, I thought, and the most appropriate, was to subscribe to Britbox and watch BG who.

And one thing that’s struck me is the effect of the missing episodes. We end one story with Barbara and Ian still wanting very much to get back home, and start the next surviving episode with the two seeming completely settled in on the Tardis, and Ian exhibiting what I can only call and very interesting and rather camp dressing style. And it made me think of the tendency in recent who, perhaps the most, and most frustratingly, in the latest incarnation, but it’s happened through AG who I think, to refer to other adventures we haven’t seen. As though new who delberatly reflects the gaps that exist in old who.

It’s also made complaints about inconsistency in AG who more amusing. I remember an Eleven episode where people noted that they were a considerable distance from the Tardis, why could everyone still understand each other? Happened in the first season, before the Tardis was used as an explanation for universal modern English across time and space.

It’s an interesting experience because as far as I know at the making of these episodes, the Doctor isn’t yet a Timelord, a Gallifrayan, he doesn’t yet have two hearts and the ability to regenerate, though when these things were created, they were created to have always been the case. It’s a little like watching A New Hope and realising likewise, Luke and Leia aren’t yet siblings, Vader isn’t yet their father, isn’t yet Anakin.

One other thought that connects the old with the recent though. The episode where Susan decides to go down to the planet with the Aliens, and the Doctor shouts at her and treats her like a child. And she’s frustrated. And then he repeatedly tries to make reference to her competence, and importance, and calls her a young lady, trying to heal the wound. The element of human drama is so strong, and I assume, leading up to her leaving the Tardis.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 315 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.